Early A-10 Predictions

Talk about the men's team, upcoming opponents and news from around college hoop.
MegaRamFan2
Abdul Fox

Early A-10 Predictions

Unread post by MegaRamFan2 »

http://collegebasketballtalk.nbcsports. ... -in-14-15/

Came across this article this morning and figured I would share... Great to see that Rhody is getting some early love as the biggest potential sleeper in the A-10. This article predicts them to finish 4th and be a potential tournament team.

If they bring on Terrell where will they be slated to finish? Either way, glad to see my alma mater back in the conversation for a possible tournament appearance!
0 x
sf2010
Cuttino Mobley

Re: Early A-10 Predictions

Unread post by sf2010 »

Well...that's optimistic. I like it! Probably too optimistic, but if we get JT, I could get on board with a top-third A10 finish.
0 x
Stop! Rammer Time
Kenny Green

Unread post by Stop! Rammer Time »

Summer is the time for optimism. Love it though, I'm tired of everyone expecting us to suck.
0 x
bigappleram
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by bigappleram »

With or without JT I put us in the top third of the conference, without him still likely on the outside looking in on the ncaa's but should be in the nit convo. As much about our additions at this point (Garrett, Watson and Hare) as well as improvement from what we have (top 2 players making what is usually the biggest leap in improvement - from fresh to sophs) as it is about the rest of the conference. Lots of big losses, SLU and SJU should have major rebuilds...outside of VCU, Dayton and GW the rest of the league is up for grabs at this point. No reason we aren't in that next tier likely consisting of Richmond, UMass, Duquesne and us. Given that I agree with the author, if 6 is the high water mark this year we get likely 3 maybe 4.
0 x
Rhody74
Sly Williams

Unread post by Rhody74 »

I don't know if I'd rank Rhody that high, but I certainly wouldn't rank UMass third. Losing Chaz will hurt, and unless Kellogg finds a similar steadying influence, UMass may underachieve.
0 x
Slava Ukraini!
Iggy1979
Sly Williams

Unread post by Iggy1979 »

Wow. Here we go again with the expectations.
0 x
"Every season, college basketball has one or two teams that rise from dormancy to relevancy, squads that make long-awaited charges at the NCAA Tournament and become really fun storylines along the way."
RoadyJay
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by RoadyJay »

Iggy1979 wrote:Wow. Here we go again with the expectations.
I'm all for it.. Let's sell some tickets!
0 x
adam914
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by adam914 »

Yeah this was my first thought as well. Time to pump the brakes a little already.
0 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

I like UMASS at the #3 spot.
They have 4 of their top 6 scorers back from last season with the loss being Chaz Williams.
Lalanne - Senior
Gordon - Junior
Davis - Junior
Esho - Senior

Plus they have Jabarie Hinds now eligible after having tranferred in from West Virginia a year ago
0 x
neil
Art Stephenson

Unread post by neil »

Good article. Not sure if that's overly optimistic, but I like our chances especially with our depth in the frontcourt. How many times last year did we think that we were going to lose if Gil picked up two early fouls. I think Gil will have more confidence this year, especially knowing that he, alone, will not have to carry the load.
0 x
bigappleram
Ernie Calverley

So Iggy, when do you deem it permissible to talk about our feelings for next year? Are we only suppose to sit here and cry over Preston Murphy or kiss the ass of Jared Terrell? ....do let me know when I can offer my opinion about next season assuming neither of the aforementioned are with us. I know sometimes my sources are wrong but I do think I know a thing or two about URI basketball.
0 x
Gonebarongone
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by Gonebarongone »

4th in a down A10 in DH's third year when he is responsible for nine of the eleven guys on the roster (you could make a case that he re-recruited Hare, too) is high expectations? That's the sort of stuff that keeps Rhody where it is. Expectations push achievement. Baron was so comfortable with winning just enough that he never felt compelled to do more. Or maybe the administration was so comfortable that he was winning just enough that they kept Baron around years too long. Pump the brakes? Give me a break.
Or, maybe we can talk about the crater that DH inherited and be happy with a Derek Kellogg trajectory. An NCAA one and done that took six years.
0 x
adam914
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by adam914 »

For the record I was talking more about a tourney appearance than anything else. I'm not expecting that this year, I am expecting it next year when EC and Hass are Juniors.
0 x
bigappleram
Ernie Calverley

+1 GBG

the league is down this year, go inside the rosters of the rest of the league and you will be hard pressed to find clear cut better talent on any team outside the top 3 i mentioned (VCU, Dayton, GW). UMass has some compelling pieces, but Chaz will be a lot to replace so you would expect at least some sort of step back from a team that barely made the tourney last year. Net net, we better be in that 4-6 range and trending upward.
0 x
bigappleram
Ernie Calverley

ramster wrote:I like UMASS at the #3 spot.
They have 4 of their top 6 scorers back from last season with the loss being Chaz Williams.
Lalanne - Senior
Gordon - Junior
Davis - Junior
Esho - Senior

Plus they have Jabarie Hinds now eligible after having tranferred in from West Virginia a year ago
I still like GW over UMass, yes they lost Creek but Savage was a great player for them who was sidelined for most of the back half of last season. They have a good PG, 2 good scoring front court players (Garino and Larsen) and Savage all major minutes guys last year and coming back. I assume they have some pieces off the bench that will flourish and that Lonergan recruited well against a successful season last year.
0 x
adam914
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by adam914 »

bigappleram wrote:+1 GBG

the league is down this year, go inside the rosters of the rest of the league and you will be hard pressed to find clear cut better talent on any team outside the top 3 i mentioned (VCU, Dayton, GW). UMass has some compelling pieces, but Chaz will be a lot to replace so you would expect at least some sort of step back from a team that barely made the tourney last year. Net net, we better be in that 4-6 range and trending upward.
I think that's fair, but if the league is in fact down then 4-6 range may not mean tourney appearance this time around.
0 x
bigappleram
Ernie Calverley

yup, thats why i said that if 6 bids was the high water mark for the league last year, this year it is more likely to be a 3-4 bid league.
0 x
SlyWilliamsCaddy
Michael Andersen

Unread post by SlyWilliamsCaddy »

All ill say is you never know. I don't think anybody in there right mind had the A10 as a 6 bid league going into last year. George Washington? no way. I recall most of the pundits projecting LaSalle to be at the top of the league going into last year. Halfway through the season, going into conference play we had some teams that could contend but even then most of the experts were predicting about 4 teams in. And with about 3 weeks left in the year we all can remember a floundering Dayton team coming in here and getting blown out, I remember having a conversation while walking out of the RC that Dayton was deflated and out of contention for a bid. How'd that work out? Almost made it to the final four. The bottom line is that if everybody on here wants to keep saying that the A10 is a high-major then we truly have to believe it. Guys if the 6th best team in you're league has the ability to make it within a couple seconds of the final four, then you are high major. Bottom line. In the high major leagues (acc, big 12, sec, big 10) there are always teams that are going to rotate through and have peak seasons. Look at Miami 2 years ago and Virginia this year in the ACC. You will always have the top teams who remain consistent (duke, unc, ours is vcu) but the teams at the bottom rotate through. Keep faith my friends, I have a good feeling that it'll play itself out as it always does and come march next year we may not have 6 teams but I would be shocked if it was less than 4. The a10 has reached that point where by the time OOC is over and conference play is beginning, there is usually somewhere around 7 or 8 teams who already have 10+ wins and minimal losses (usually to high-level opponents). Also the delineation between the top and the bottom. Luckily the conference the last couple of years has had some really bad teams at the bottom, which allows the top level teams to basically circle 5-6 easy wins in conference play. Sure some of the rosters next year look weak. As a rhody fan that really excites me. Turn 6 or 7 of those close losses around from last year and I can easily see Rhody dancing this year, not next.
0 x
bigappleram
Ernie Calverley

in looking at the rosters anything more than 4 from the A10 would be a surprise. 3 seems more likely than 5 to me.
0 x
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by rambone 78 »

bar, if it's 3, we're not likely to be one of those.

If it's 4 or 5, then we've got a shot.

I think we are, right now, an upper middle A10 squad next year. NIT range.

Terrell and Ingram/Brown get us in the NCAA discussion for sure.
0 x
bigappleram
Ernie Calverley

i agree bone
0 x
peeps4life
Kenny Green

Unread post by peeps4life »

someone told me there are no minutes available for terrell at uri
0 x
rodfromcranston
Frank Keaney

Unread post by rodfromcranston »

Come on peeps. You know that's far from the truth.
Who told you that, Jim Christian?
0 x
< Arthur is my spirit animal.
RoadyJay
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by RoadyJay »

It was most likely Harry Paratestees

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
0 x
bressler3south
Carlton Owens

Unread post by bressler3south »

peeps4life wrote:someone told me there are no minutes available for terrell at uri
Yeah, seanmc94…….BUT, THERE ARE HOURS UPON HOURS OF QUALITY NCAA-BOUND RYAN CENTER COURT-TIME!!!!!!!!!
0 x
rodfromcranston
Frank Keaney

Roady Jay, it may have been Ben Dover, or Lance Boyle.
0 x
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by Billyboy78 »

I think it was Dave Gavitt. He's still a scumbag.
0 x
peeps4life
Kenny Green

rodfromcranston wrote:Come on peeps. You know that's far from the truth.
Who told you that, Jim Christian?
of course i know it's far from the truth. it was not sean... it was one of your schmucks. nice pickup.
0 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

peeps4life wrote:someone told me there are no minutes available for terrell at uri
So peepster, what does that "someone" say now?
0 x
Taylor Swift
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Taylor Swift »

RoadyJay wrote:
I'm all for it.. Let's sell some tickets!

Positive thoughts bring positive outcomes. :D

Sell more tickets = bring in more revenue = better recruiting/can pay coaches more $ and trickles down to the rest of Rhody Athletics.
0 x
Taylor Swift
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Taylor Swift »

RoadyJay wrote:It was most likely Harry Paratestees

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Is he related to Ron Chiass?
0 x
peeps4life
Kenny Green

ramster wrote:
don't know why "someone" is in quotes. it was one of yours.

i told that person he was a fool to think a top 100 guy didn't have room on URI's roster. i don't care what position he plays.
0 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

peeps4life wrote:
ramster wrote:
don't know why "someone" is in quotes. it was one of yours.

i told that person he was a fool to think a top 100 guy didn't have room on URI's roster. i don't care what position he plays.
Peeps,
I misunderstood your comment then............I thought you really meant you had an inside source at URI who told you that so URI had decided not to recruit him.

I did not realize you were being sarcastic and meaning that someone from this Board said Terrell would have no minutes available to him here.
0 x
rodfromcranston
Frank Keaney

All true, peeps.
0 x
peeps4life
Kenny Green

i hope dan has watched tapes of villanova to see what a good 3 guard lineup can do.
0 x
ace
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by ace »

I don't know much about this site, but it's not like we're drowning in an excess of college basketball news right now. They're counting down and giving season previews for their top 144 teams; they're at 137 right now. So far in the A10, only Fordham has been mentioned (144). Bryant checks in at 138.

http://www.collegesportsmadness.com/men ... 4-previews
0 x
SmartyBarrett
Sly Williams

Unread post by SmartyBarrett »

FWIW, we checked in at #106 in last season's preview on the same site:

http://www.collegesportsmadness.com/article/7009
0 x
twisted3829
Carlton Owens

Unread post by twisted3829 »

he's notorious for being pretty bad at this, he left GW out of the top 144 last year
0 x
NOT IN OUR HOUSE
ace
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by ace »

twisted3829 wrote:he's notorious for being pretty bad at this, he left GW out of the top 144 last year
Do you know if they're fairly reliable with roster changes? That's the stuff I find hard to keep track of.
I don't really fault people too much for messing up predictions. Look back at a lot of them at season's end, and they look pretty bad.
0 x
twisted3829
Carlton Owens

i believe that part is normally correct
0 x
NOT IN OUR HOUSE
SGreenwell
Sly Williams

Unread post by SGreenwell »

ace wrote:
twisted3829 wrote:he's notorious for being pretty bad at this, he left GW out of the top 144 last year
Do you know if they're fairly reliable with roster changes? That's the stuff I find hard to keep track of.
I don't really fault people too much for messing up predictions. Look back at a lot of them at season's end, and they look pretty bad.
See: Pretty much everyone in the 2013-14 Keaney Blue record prediction contest.
0 x
ace
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by ace »

0 x
NHRamFan
Lamar Odom

Unread post by NHRamFan »

They need to add Davidson to the school/logo strip as well as the drop down box!!!
0 x
twisted3829
Carlton Owens

it becomes official at midnight so I assume it will added then or tomorrow morning
0 x
NOT IN OUR HOUSE
Obadiah
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Obadiah »

Yea, tomorrow evening Davidson is throwing a Launch Party for their supporters to celebrate their official entry to the A-10, complete with free appetizers and a live band. Welcome Wildcats to the A-10 and future visits to Kingston!!!
0 x
bigappleram
Ernie Calverley

its crazy that this is the first time the conference has had a formal style guide for their brand. but a move in the right direction nonetheless, i like the new look.
0 x
ATPTourFan
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ATPTourFan »

My first response to the new logos above was that someone on here was trying out new ideas for a A10 logo scheme... then I saw it was the official new look for the conference. I'm sure it will grow on me.
0 x
Support Coach Miller & Rhody Basketball! Give to the Athletic Director's Fund
ace
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by ace »

Is the A also kind of supposed to look like 14 (actual number of schools), or is that just a coincidence?
0 x
rodfromcranston
Frank Keaney

Waaaayyyyyyyyyyyy too busy.
It's fuglee.
0 x
ATPTourFan
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ATPTourFan »

They don't look good all together like that, but if I try to isolate on one of the types it starts to look OK. I like the basic A10 lower-right corner one the best.
0 x
Support Coach Miller & Rhody Basketball! Give to the Athletic Director's Fund