Where Are They Now? Former Player Results and News

Talk about the men's team, upcoming opponents and news from around college hoop.
steveystuds06
Sly Williams

Re: Where Are They Now? Former Player Results and News

Unread post by steveystuds06 »

RAM67 wrote: 3 months ago I agree with Stevey on Bassy. I don't understand why certain posters, always have something negative to say when he has a good game. Give credit where credit is due. I for one was sorry to see him go.
Ya, this is my point. I think it's great that he left and is putting up crazy numbers. It was the right move for him, and I love our team this year. I'm not saying I'm upset he's gone. But the reputation that Bassy has by some here is unfair, in my opinion, and now to say a player like Ways is better than him THIS year when he's dropping 18 and 5 and had a couple of 30-point games is ridiculous to me.

Whatever, I said my peace. I'll continue to follow Bassy, as it's rare to see a Rhody kid put up numbers like this at the D1 level.
3 x
ATTITUDE IS EVERYTHING
PeterRamTime
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by PeterRamTime »

steveystuds06 wrote: 3 months ago
RAM67 wrote: 3 months ago I agree with Stevey on Bassy. I don't understand why certain posters, always have something negative to say when he has a good game. Give credit where credit is due. I for one was sorry to see him go.
Ya, this is my point. I think it's great that he left and is putting up crazy numbers. It was the right move for him, and I love our team this year. I'm not saying I'm upset he's gone. But the reputation that Bassy has by some here is unfair, in my opinion, and now to say a player like Ways is better than him THIS year when he's dropping 18 and 5 and had a couple of 30-point games is ridiculous to me.

Whatever, I said my peace. I'll continue to follow Bassy, as it's rare to see a Rhody kid put up numbers like this at the D1 level.
No people are saying Ways is better for this team. While Bassy may be a better overall player as an individual right now, that doesn't mean he would be the right fit for this team as a back up PG.
1 x
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

Unread post by NYGFan_Section208 »

PeterRamTime wrote: 3 months ago

No people are saying Ways is better for this team. While Bassy may be a better overall player as an individual right now, that doesn't mean he would be the right fit for this team as a back up PG.
I am. I'm saying Ways is better for this team than Bassey would have been. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
3 x
PeterRamTime
Ernie Calverley

NYGFan_Section208 wrote: 3 months ago

I am. I'm saying Ways is better for this team than Bassey would have been. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
And above all else....I love having someone named Always Wright on my team. Most important factor imo...
1 x
hrstrat57
Sly Williams

Unread post by hrstrat57 »

I’m sticking with Miller for now on talent evaluation especially in ball handling.

Got nothing against Bassy. Good luck to him. He’s dropped down to a level that enables him to start. Miller would have him buried deep on the bench and likely told him so.

I turned on my TV the other night to see Leggett brick a wide open layup against Duke. I’m likin Kortwright better too right now.

Cox is gone I think we have a guy now who knows what he’s doing.
3 x
We're gonna run the picket fence at "em.....now boys don't get caught watchin' the paint dry!
PeterRamTime
Ernie Calverley

hrstrat57 wrote: 3 months ago I’m sticking with Miller for now on talent evaluation especially in ball handling.

Got nothing against Bassy. Good luck to him. He’s dropped down to a level that enables him to start. Miller would have him buried deep on the bench and likely told him so.

I turned on my TV the other night to see Leggett brick a wide open layup against Duke. I’m likin Kortwright better too right now.

Leggett always struggled against P5 level teams and he's continued that this year for the most part.
0 x
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

Pitt is struggling 1-4 in the ACC you kind of wonder how long they will stick with Capel ?

Actually I forgot they were decent last year win the play in game then beat Iowa St in the round of 64 so that may have bought him some time but he’s 85-87 overall @ Pitt
0 x
steveystuds06
Sly Williams

Unread post by steveystuds06 »

hrstrat57 wrote: 3 months ago I’m sticking with Miller for now on talent evaluation especially in ball handling.

Maybe we should change this thread name to let's take a shot at former players? Now we have a dig at Ish? Cmon..

The staff wanted Ish back. Ish was fantastic for us, basically by himself. He decided to go to a high major, and I don't blame him. It must have been miserable getting little to no help while playing here. Yes, the ACC is a little tougher than the A10, so I get it if he's having some growing pains once reaching conference play. Ish will figure it out.

Also, if you think I'm saying I don't think Archie knows what he's doing, you haven't been paying attention. I've been promoting and defending 99% of his recruits since the second he got here. Not just when we started winning. However, No coach is perfect. We will pass on recruits that become great, lose players, or be wrong about an incoming player. My guess is no one expected Bassy to make this big of a jump this year. He looks like a totally different player. If you haven't watched him this year then I highly suggest you do. The kid drastically improved his game. Like David Green who put up average numbers last year. My guess is Ways will be a nice role piece for this team if he sticks around. Anything more than that would be great.
1 x
ATTITUDE IS EVERYTHING
LoveThoseRams
Tom Garrick

Unread post by LoveThoseRams »

Maybe we should change this thread name to let's take a shot at former players? Now we have a dig at Ish? Cmon..

The staff wanted Ish back. Ish was fantastic for us, basically by himself. He decided to go to a high major, and I don't blame him. It must have been miserable getting little to no help while playing here. Yes, the ACC is a little tougher than the A10, so I get it if he's having some growing pains once reaching conference play. Ish will figure it out.

Also, if you think I'm saying I don't think Archie knows what he's doing, you haven't been paying attention. I've been promoting and defending 99% of his recruits since the second he got here. Not just when we started winning. However, No coach is perfect. We will pass on recruits that become great, lose players, or be wrong about an incoming player. My guess is no one expected Bassy to make this big of a jump this year. He looks like a totally different player. If you haven't watched him this year then I highly suggest you do. The kid drastically improved his game. Like David Green who put up average numbers last year. My guess is Ways will be a nice role piece for this team if he sticks around. Anything more than that would be great.
I wish Ish a great season at Pitt, and he sure was doing pretty good at the beginning of the season. Maybe he is having recurring shoulder issues and thus why his numbers have been disappointing as of late.

I agree with Stevie that the staff wanted Ish to remain. His family told us that he could "no longer carry the team." We can all wonder what another year with Ish at URI with the current squad would look like.
1 x
Shinze88
Art Stephenson

Unread post by Shinze88 »

LoveThoseRams wrote: 3 months ago

I wish Ish a great season at Pitt, and he sure was doing pretty good at the beginning of the season. Maybe he is having recurring shoulder issues and thus why his numbers have been disappointing as of late.

I agree with Stevie that the staff wanted Ish to remain. His family told us that he could "no longer carry the team." We can all wonder what another year with Ish at URI with the current squad would look like.
I also wish Ish remained here, it would have been nice to see what he could do with a much better squad and coaching staff around him. He is most certainly a solid player, but not sure how much more he gives us over Kortright.
1 x
jcru
Sly Williams

Unread post by jcru »

I think Ways is here next year. He's a glue guy. Basically an "I'm whatever you need me to be" guy. Swiss Army knife.

He looks exactly like he did in his recruiting videos from the community college, which is to say, he was practically invisible in them. lol He hit a couple of midrange jumpers in them and had some nice layups, but that was it.

I sat watching so many games that he was in at the college NEO, and the people who had seen him live were just singing his praises, and it was hard to figure out what they were talking about by watching the videos, but now I get it. He was kind of like how Hammond is on his team Paul VI now, he had an all star lineup surrounding him, and his job was to do little unnoticeable things that make everyone else on the team look better. Break up a press. Save a loose ball from going out of bounds. Get the ball to someone who could do something with it.

You can find a better backup guard than Ways, I'm sure, but not necessarily a guard who is going to embrace being a backup like Ways does. He's not looking to score 30 points or avg 10 assists a game, he just wants to win, whatever it takes to help get the team over the goal line. Unless it's for a better situation closer to home, I can't see Archie parting with him.
4 x
McRam
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by McRam »

Think we have a way to go before any of our guards give us the defense, steals or loose balls that Ish got. No knock on any of,our guards, just they are not as strong as Ish was in these parameters.
2 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

2 x
brady1
Art Stephenson

Unread post by brady1 »

McRam wrote: 3 months ago

Think we have a way to go before any of our guards give us the defense, steals or loose balls that Ish got. No knock on any of,our guards, just they are not as strong as Ish was in these parameters.
Like Ish wish him luck. His stats at Pitt have fallen off a cliff against better competition. I hope he turns it around we’ll see.

He was a good player for us last year but very very mediocre stats: 39% Fg 32% 3pt Fg. Yr before 37% Fg 31 % 3pt Fg.

GO RHODY!
0 x
PeterRamTime
Ernie Calverley

brady1 wrote: 3 months ago
McRam wrote: 3 months ago

Like Ish wish him luck. His stats at Pitt have fallen off a cliff against better competition. I hope he turns it around we’ll see.

He was a good player for us last year but very very mediocre stats: 39% Fg 32% 3pt Fg. Yr before 37% Fg 31 % 3pt Fg.

GO RHODY!
Hope he turns it around, but he always seemed to struggle against P5 teams. I think he might be banged up though?
0 x
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

Ish coming off bench now played 17 minutes scored 8
0 x
Blue Man
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Blue Man »

reef wrote: 3 months ago Ish coming off bench now played 17 minutes scored 8
Grass ain’t always greener.

Plenty of examples of guys who drop and excel - paired with just as many who go up and struggle.
1 x
If you say you’re a Rhody fan, I know you are my brother. For you have suffered as I have suffered.

Give to the Athletic Director's Fund

Give to Rhody's NIL
PeterRamTime
Ernie Calverley

Blue Man wrote: 3 months ago

Plenty of examples of guys who drop and excel - paired with just as many who go up and struggle.
And now Pitt is struggling
0 x
SGreenwell
Sly Williams

Unread post by SGreenwell »

Yeah - The entire team is doing poorly in conference. Kind of odd, because their schedule wasn't some Charmin soft thing like St. Joe's this year or Fordham last year. They played WVU, Clemson, Florida, a couple others. As far as I can tell, they don't have a significant injury that explains things either.
0 x
PeterRamTime
Ernie Calverley

SGreenwell wrote: 3 months ago

Yeah - The entire team is doing poorly in conference. Kind of odd, because their schedule wasn't some Charmin soft thing like St. Joe's this year or Fordham last year. They played WVU, Clemson, Florida, a couple others. As far as I can tell, they don't have a significant injury that explains things either.
Gonna have to disagree there.

Clemson is a conference game and Florida was the only tournament level (wrong side of the bubble now) team they played in the OOC

WVU is bad, Oregon St is bad, the rest are cupcakes.

Pitt has gotten waxed against every good team they've played.

Joe's played Villanova, Kentucky and Princeton. All three of those teams are better than Florida. Oh and arguably College of Charleston is better than Florida at least about as good.
1 x
SGreenwell
Sly Williams

Unread post by SGreenwell »

Clemson is a conference game and Florida was the only tournament level (wrong side of the bubble now) team they played in the OOC

Joe's played Villanova, Kentucky and Princeton. All three of those teams are better than Florida. Oh and arguably College of Charleston is better than Florida at least about as good.
I'm about to head out to something for work, so I can't look at this as in-depth as I'd like. But I think Joe's schedule is way more top heavy. Those four schools are good or good-names to have on a schedule, but the rest is really, really bad, which is probably why KenPom has them around 300 for SOS, and Sports Reference has them around 220. Pitt is at 160ish and 99 by those same metrics, which isn't a "Temple with Chaney" kind of load, but it's not all-cupcakes either.
0 x
PeterRamTime
Ernie Calverley

I'm about to head out to something for work, so I can't look at this as in-depth as I'd like. But I think Joe's schedule is way more top heavy. Those four schools are good or good-names to have on a schedule, but the rest is really, really bad, which is probably why KenPom has them around 300 for SOS, and Sports Reference has them around 220. Pitt is at 160ish and 99 by those same metrics, which isn't a "Temple with Chaney" kind of load, but it's not all-cupcakes either.
Are those just factoring in OOC schedules? If not then yeah Pitts overall schedule is obviously tougher because ACC

Otherwise

Joe's played 2 Q1 games and 2 Q2 games 1 Q3 game and 8 Q4 games (one was Temple)

Pitt played zero Q1 games 1 Q2 game 4 Q3 games and 6 Q4 games

Both not great but I'd still take Joes
0 x
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

Capel @ Pitt 85-88 overall 36-63 conference did make the round of 32 last year
0 x
rjv
Jimmy Baron

Unread post by rjv »

I did not realize Duke lost at home to Pitt. Ish 11 pts in 27 mins. Image as a player what thst must be like.
Better then URI score on Sat.
0 x
Ramtastico
Lamar Odom

Unread post by Ramtastico »

Good to see Preston M and ARD on opposite benches right now on SEC network/espn+(Ala vs UGA)
2 x
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

Ramtastico wrote: 2 months ago Good to see Preston M and ARD on opposite benches right now on SEC network/espn+(Ala vs UGA)
Really good catch , I didn’t even think of that
0 x
LoveThoseRams
Tom Garrick

Unread post by LoveThoseRams »

Reports that Dan Hurley said "Go Rhody" when walking off the presser podium after beating Pee Cee. Got to love that guy!!
6 x
bigappleram
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by bigappleram »

LoveThoseRams wrote: 2 months ago Reports that Dan Hurley said "Go Rhody" when walking off the presser podium after beating Pee Cee. Got to love that guy!!
This is true.
1 x
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

bigappleram wrote: 2 months ago
LoveThoseRams wrote: 2 months ago Reports that Dan Hurley said "Go Rhody" when walking off the presser podium after beating Pee Cee. Got to love that guy!!
This is true.
Because Hurls rocks.
2 x
bigappleram
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by bigappleram »

That’s always been one of the worst things you say. Hurls.
Like just no on that one.
3 x
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

I went back and listened to his 15 minute presser and it didn’t show him walking off so I missed the Go Rhody mention!
0 x
Urifan91
Jimmy Baron

Unread post by Urifan91 »

Ramtastico wrote: 2 months ago Good to see Preston M and ARD on opposite benches right now on SEC network/espn+(Ala vs UGA)
During the broadcast the announcers mentioned the connection between Murphy and ARD. Then they showed a couple clips from 98 team, also mentioning Wheeler and Mobley, and the tourney run. One of announcers (Eric Frede) was from the northeast and said how basketball crazed the state of RI is with both URI and PC being good programs.
2 x
Rhody15
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Rhody15 »

bigappleram wrote: 2 months ago That’s always been one of the worst things you say. Hurls.
Lol yea, people here sometimes give our coaches/players nickname that nobody has ever used or will use. Always bothered me too a bit.
1 x
Go Rhody
steviep123
Sly Williams

Unread post by steviep123 »

bigappleram wrote: 2 months ago
This is true.
Bill Koch confirmed it.

3 x
Bleed Keaney Blue!

”I'm not coming there to be in the top 3 of the Atlantic 10. I'm coming to win the damn thing!”
ElmCityRhody
Sly Williams

Unread post by ElmCityRhody »

HURLEY is the BEST

miss him dearly....

step up your game ARCHIE my goodness
2 x
section(105)
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by section(105) »

ElmCityRhody wrote: 2 months ago HURLEY is the BEST

miss him dearly....

step up your game ARCHIE my goodness
I know(not really) Dan Hurley, Archie is no Dan Hurley……..
2 x
Ram logo via Grist 1938
ElmCityRhody
Sly Williams

Unread post by ElmCityRhody »

can i get a Dan Hurley "light" ?

AGITA

enough of this losing and doing cartwheels over our "W's" when you have a piss poor OOC schedule

LFG and step up your game already
0 x
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Jersey77 »

ElmCityRhody wrote: 2 months ago can i get a Dan Hurley "light" ?

AGITA

enough of this losing and doing cartwheels over our "W's" when you have a piss poor OOC schedule

Just remember that in Hurley's 2nd season we lost 6 straight conference games and 10 of 12, so let's see what happens.

I would like to see us finish on a higher note, but I am much more concerned about next season.
3 x
RF1
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by RF1 »

I could care less what Dan Hurley says at the end of his UConn press conferences. Any words he may now utter have little REAL effect on URI. The last time he said something which had a meaningful impact on Rhody hoops was unfortunately most likely his glowing endorsement of David Cox for head coach.
Last edited by RF1 2 months ago, edited 6 times in total.
0 x
Rhody15
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Rhody15 »

RF1 wrote: 2 months ago I could care less what Dan Hurley says at the end of his UConn press conferences. Any words he may utter have little REAL effect on URI.
I mean, what other coach makes positive references to his former school after his press conferences at his current school? Not to mention, his old school’s rival.

Pretty damn cool.

Shouldn’t be ill will towards the guy.
3 x
Go Rhody
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

Rhody15 wrote: 2 months ago
bigappleram wrote: 2 months ago That’s always been one of the worst things you say. Hurls.
Lol yea, people here sometimes give our coaches/players nickname that nobody has ever used or will use. Always bothered me too a bit.
Well, I didn't give him that name. And he told me lots of people call him that, so I'm just going to continue. 😉
1 x
Jdrums#3
Sly Williams

Unread post by Jdrums#3 »

Jersey77 wrote: 2 months ago

AGITA

Just remember that in Hurley's 2nd season we lost 6 straight conference games and 10 of 12, so let's see what happens.

I would like to see us finish on a higher note, but I am much more concerned about next season.
Agreed about next season, Jersey. I feel like the program is struggling in limbo currently.
Last edited by Jdrums#3 2 months ago, edited 1 time in total.
0 x
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

Jdrums#3 wrote: 2 months ago

AGITA

Agreed about next season, Jersey. I feel like we the program is struggling in limbo currently.
I don't see it as being in limbo, more like just a growing process.
I look at our talented young players, understand the difficulty of finding immediate success with a new roster, and actually feel good about our future.
0 x
RhodyKyle
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by RhodyKyle »

Agreed about next season, Jersey. I feel like we the program is struggling in limbo currently.
I look at our talented young players, understand the difficulty of finding immediate success with a new roster, and actually feel good about our future.
I'm actually bullish on next year. Players typically make a big leap in development in the summer between freshman and sophomore seasons so I'm excited to see the jumps Cam, Fuchs, and Fou make while keeping some of the elder statesmen they have now.
2 x
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

I’m thinking we finish 14-17 so that’s 5 game improvement not the worst

Next season hopefully another jump but I’m not as confident as I was about the process anymore
0 x
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

I'm thinking from now until the start of next season is limbo. I don't believe we'll see a massive change in direction (towards more consistent success) this year. Good grief, I hope I'm wrong, but I doubt it.
0 x
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

NYGFan_Section208 wrote: 2 months ago

I'm thinking from now until the start of next season is limbo. I don't believe we'll see a massive change in direction (towards more consistent success) this year. Good grief, I hope I'm wrong, but I doubt it.
I also don't necessarily think there will be a massive change in direction this season, but Archie and staff will continue to teach and work with the players which will hopefully carry into the off-season and 24-25.
If we see some real positive growth prior to the end of the season, that will be a plus.

I
0 x
Jdrums#3
Sly Williams

Unread post by Jdrums#3 »

Good point and perspective.

The young guys do stir hope.
1 x
McRam
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by McRam »

Please clarify-

R U saying Kortright instead of Ish? Thks
0 x
McRam
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by McRam »

reef wrote: 2 months ago I’m thinking we finish 14-17 so that’s 5 game improvement not the worst

Next season hopefully another jump but I’m not as confident as I was about the process anymore
I will hold final judgment until the end the season. I think we should judge our improvement not by being better than last year’s team but the way other teams and coaches succeeded this year. Eg Umass, George Mason, Richmond.
0 x