Where Are They Now? Former Player Results and News

Talk about the men's team, upcoming opponents and news from around college hoop.
SmartyBarrett
Sly Williams

Re: Where Are They Now? Former Player Results and News

Unread post by SmartyBarrett »

ace wrote:
RIP that guy.
1 x
Section104
Art Stephenson

Unread post by Section104 »

not bad for his off hand!
0 x
ATPTourFan
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ATPTourFan »

Don't do it to him like that, Hass!!

Love how the #18 guy who was posterized had his arms crossed ready to fall backwards into a casket!
3 x
Support Coach Miller & Rhody Basketball! Give to the Athletic Director's Fund
PeterRamTime
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by PeterRamTime »

https://www.portsmouthinvitational.com/ ... am-rosters

You can check out the roster JT is on here.

Lots of these teams look absolutely stacked.
0 x
Iggy1979
Sly Williams

Unread post by Iggy1979 »

Stacked with good college players who won't make NBA. Good way to showcase for international scouts.
EC must feel like he's above this.
0 x
"Every season, college basketball has one or two teams that rise from dormancy to relevancy, squads that make long-awaited charges at the NCAA Tournament and become really fun storylines along the way."
Ramrod
Kenny Green

Unread post by Ramrod »

Iggy1979 wrote:Stacked with good college players who won't make NBA. Good way to showcase for international scouts.
I think EC felt like he was above playing for Rhody most of the year last year...
0 x
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

Unread post by NYGFan_Section208 »

Ramrod wrote:
Iggy1979 wrote:Stacked with good college players who won't make NBA. Good way to showcase for international scouts.
I think EC felt like he was above playing for Rhody most of the year last year...
ouch, not kind
0 x
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

Unread post by TruePoint »

Ramrod wrote:
? What ? Not only is that pretty lame thing to say, I don't even know what it would be based on.

As far as the PIT, if EC feels he is above that, I'm not sure what he is basing that on. I love both these guys, so not trying to pit them against each other, but I think most people regard Jared as the better player at this point. That is borne out by the all-league voting, where Jared was a first-team selection to EC's third team. In fact, the entire A-10 first team (JT, Aldridge, Adams, Mobley and Tillman) is playing in this event, along with second teamer BJ Johnson. So not sure if EC really feels that he is above it, or if he just wasn't invited. No shame in that, he's still going to get paid to play basketball for many years, but don't know if "he's above it" is really the reason he isn't there.
3 x
"If you build it, they will come." --Us, circa 2011
Rhody83
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhody83 »

Ramrod wrote:
Ramrod, what are you talking about? EC would do anything to help the team. He had one goal this year - to make a run in the Tournament. URI doesn’t beat Oklahoma without EC’s performance in the 2nd half and OT.

The two most influential people in turning URI Basketball around:
1) Dan Hurley
2) EC Matthews

If you don’t believe #2 just ask #1.
5 x
“We will be good when we are good.”
Da_Process_Survivor
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by Da_Process_Survivor »

Ramrod wrote:
20 and 8 against Davidson, 35% of their offense
16 and 5 against Oklahoma, leading scorer
23 and 7 against Duke, 38% of their offense

would've won the A10 and made the Sweet 16 if more guys on the team thought they were above playing for Rhody.....
10 x
---
He was a snake oil salesman...just like the rest of em
---
Ramrod
Kenny Green

Unread post by Ramrod »

I totally get the reaction, haha. Love what EC did for the program, but I don't think anyone is above criticism. Just my observations feel free to disagree, but I think EC was a bit checked out most of the year. I don't think I should have to turn in my fan card for saying that. There were entire games and halfs where he was pretty invisible, just go back through the game threads. A lot of people asking "Where is EC, tonight?" He showed up for some big games for sure, (NCAAT) which I think shows that he didn't bring it every night this year. At the beginning of this year, I was hoping/expecting to see the same player we saw in the second half of last year, from the A10 tourney run through the NCAA's. I was rooting for EC to put up the kind of season that would put him back in the discussions for getting drafted. Helps Rhody to get guys into the NBA. He was nowhere near that this year. I think he under-performed. Just my opinion, you can disagree, but it's based on the stats he put up too. Looking through his Senior Year stats, You could argue that was his worst year as a Ram. Lowest PPG, 3P%, FT%. Noticeably improved his TO numbers, but I was hoping to see a jump in other areas too. Turnover improvement could be due to a decline in usage rate, which is not necessarily what you want from your star players.

SEASON TEAM MIN FGM-FGA FG% 3PM-3PA 3P% FTM-FTA FT% REB AST BLK STL PF TO PTS
2017-18 URI 28.8 4.9-11.5 .429 1.5-4.8 .321 2.2-3.0 .726 4.1 0.9 0.5 0.8 1.6 1.6 13.6
2016-17 URI 29.3 4.9-11.5 .427 1.8-5.4 .337 3.2-4.4 .727 4.3 1.4 0.3 0.5 1.7 1.9 14.9
2015-16 URI 10.0 0.0-2.0 .000 0.0-0.0 .000 0.0-0.0 .000 2.0 0.0 0.0 0.0 1.0 1.0 0.0
2014-15 URI 32.9 5.4-13.1 .410 2.1-6.5 .325 4.1-5.5 .734 4.6 2.0 0.5 0.8 2.1 3.6 16.9
2013-14 URI 32.5 4.7-11.1 .421 1.5-4.2 .348 3.4-4.7 .738 4.3 2.3 0.7 0.9 2.4 2.4 14.3
0 x
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

talk about his performance all you want, but judging it and saying he 'felt like he was above playing for Rhody' or that he 'checked out'...seems way over the top criticism for a college kid.
0 x
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

Not demanding your fan card, I just think that is a little unfair. EC's play was certainly uneven and statistically it was maybe his worst season. But I think that had a lot more to do with his physical situation and what he had around him for help compared to earlier years than it had to do with his effort. Unfortunately, while a lot of guys come back from severe knee injuries as if nothing happened, EC clearly was never the same player. It is a real shame, for sure, but it is what is. I don't think he was ever treated totally fairly by our fans, and saying he was disinterested is especially unfair, IMO.
7 x
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

EC sure redeemed himself in the post season , he hit a lot of huge shots especially that Sooners game but yeah he did underachieve a bit in the reg season
0 x
Da_Process_Survivor
Cuttino Mobley

Ramrod wrote:I totally get the reaction, haha. Love what EC did for the program, but I don't think anyone is above criticism. Just my observations feel free to disagree, but I think EC was a bit checked out most of the year. I don't think I should have to turn in my fan card for saying that. There were entire games and halfs where he was pretty invisible, just go back through the game threads. A lot of people asking "Where is EC, tonight?" He showed up for some big games for sure, (NCAAT) which I think shows that he didn't bring it every night this year. At the beginning of this year, I was hoping/expecting to see the same player we saw in the second half of last year, from the A10 tourney run through the NCAA's. I was rooting for EC to put up the kind of season that would put him back in the discussions for getting drafted. Helps Rhody to get guys into the NBA. He was nowhere near that this year. I think he under-performed. Just my opinion, you can disagree, but it's based on the stats he put up too. Looking through his Senior Year stats, You could argue that was his worst year as a Ram. Lowest PPG, 3P%, FT%. Noticeably improved his TO numbers, but I was hoping to see a jump in other areas too. Turnover improvement could be due to a decline in usage rate, which is not necessarily what you want from your star players.

SEASON TEAM MIN FGM-FGA FG% 3PM-3PA 3P% FTM-FTA FT% REB AST BLK STL PF TO PTS
2017-18 URI 28.8 4.9-11.5 .429 1.5-4.8 .321 2.2-3.0 .726 4.1 0.9 0.5 0.8 1.6 1.6 13.6
2016-17 URI 29.3 4.9-11.5 .427 1.8-5.4 .337 3.2-4.4 .727 4.3 1.4 0.3 0.5 1.7 1.9 14.9
2015-16 URI 10.0 0.0-2.0 .000 0.0-0.0 .000 0.0-0.0 .000 2.0 0.0 0.0 0.0 1.0 1.0 0.0
2014-15 URI 32.9 5.4-13.1 .410 2.1-6.5 .325 4.1-5.5 .734 4.6 2.0 0.5 0.8 2.1 3.6 16.9
2013-14 URI 32.5 4.7-11.1 .421 1.5-4.2 .348 3.4-4.7 .738 4.3 2.3 0.7 0.9 2.4 2.4 14.3
So we're just going to willfully ignore the fact that he broke his dominant wrist?

He broke his left wrist...lefty players dribble and shoot with their left hand.

Do ya think that may have affected him this year? Just a teensy bit??

Even after it heals there is still stiffness, less movement and a loss of muscle and strength to recover from...which frankly I doubt he fully did
1 x
---
---
SGreenwell
Sly Williams

Unread post by SGreenwell »

Yeah - Matthews went from a guy that was a draft prospect before the injuries to an All-A10 level performer. Clearly still valuable, obviously, but the injuries hurt his development as a player and likely his peak potential. The injuries easily explain the stats.
3 x
bigappleram
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by bigappleram »

All fair, and if the comment was something like you are disappointed in his efficiency or production this year you’re totally in the right...but for what EC did for URI basketball To question his passion or desire is just poor form.
6 x
Blue Man
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Blue Man »

Ramrod wrote:
I think this is the dumbest and worst take on this board.

I wish every player felt like they were above playing for Rhody if they give us what he did.

Posts like this are why message boards are sewers.
7 x
If you say you’re a Rhody fan, I know you are my brother. For you have suffered as I have suffered.

Give to the Athletic Director's Fund

Give to Rhody's NIL
CTRamfan
Jimmy Baron

Unread post by CTRamfan »

GEEZ RAMROD, that is the most infantile comment ever on this forum..............URI fans would never castigate one of our own in that way.
1 x
NHRamFan
Lamar Odom

Unread post by NHRamFan »

Tommy Garrick named as new WBB Coach at UMass Lowell today.
2 x
steviep123
Sly Williams

Unread post by steviep123 »

NHRamFan wrote:Tommy Garrick named as new WBB Coach at UMass Lowell today.
Wow, glad to see him get another shot.

http://www.goriverhawks.com/news/2018/4 ... th=general
0 x
Bleed Keaney Blue!

”I'm not coming there to be in the top 3 of the Atlantic 10. I'm coming to win the damn thing!”
PeterRamTime
Ernie Calverley

Ramrod is just reading it wrong.

I just think EC had a problem being in his head a lot after the injuries.
He was also very much an iso player so I think he would naturally defer a lot of the time when JT was on a roll.
When JT fell off EC took over for us.
0 x
Ramrod
Kenny Green

Unread post by Ramrod »

Okay, I’m fine chalking it up to injurIes, because...who knows how much of an impact that has on a guy physically or mentally. I had been disappointed with his performance throughout the year that was my point. Water under the bridge at this point. My comment was not questioning what he meant to the program over the course of his career. The word choice about being “above it” was tongue and cheek and a play on the previous post. Can we put the tar and feather gear away please? The tendency of this board to go overboard and jump to hyperbole is incredible. (Worst/dumbest post ever?). I frankly think it’s fair to criticize EC’s performance this year. I think we needed more from him if we were to make a 6 seed or higher and have a real chance at going deeper in the tournament than we did. He was our fourth best player this year (behind JT, Jeff, and Stan IMO). While he was good in a lot of games, it’s significantly below what we expected going into the year. Do you guys only go on here to call other people idiots at the drop of a hat? Aren’t we at least united by the fact that we love and root for the same team? Makes it really not enjoyable to come in here and post with all the self-appointed thought police we have.
2 x
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by rambone 78 »

Ramrod, I was OK with your post....I thought you were being facetious.....injuries definitely affected EC's play.
2 x
Ramrod
Kenny Green

Unread post by Ramrod »

Anyway, to make it clear how I feel about EC, I am rooting for him to reach his true potential and play in the league some day. That’s the level I was rooting for him to get to this year and justify the trips all the scouts made to see him play. I think he was the most talented player we brought in since Lamar. If he gets the right opportunities and his heart is still in it, I think he’s a special player and am hoping he is able to make some noise at the next level. No reason why he shouldn’t be able to have a Cuttino Mobley like career. I was hoping he would develop into a knock down 3pt shooter, but that didn’t happen.
0 x
RhodeIslandBred
Jeff Kent

Unread post by RhodeIslandBred »

For what its worth I agree with Ramrod. EC was his own worst enemy sometimes and you can just tell some games he had games where he was just mentally checked out on defense and offense. Not always the case however, he had a few special games this year and did well in the tourney. His ceiling was much higher and perhaps the injuries were the main driver to him going into cruise control. He has a high bar at the next level.
0 x
josephski
Tom Garrick

Unread post by josephski »

RhodeIslandBred wrote:For what its worth I agree with Ramrod. EC was his own worst enemy sometimes and you can just tell some games he had games where he was just mentally checked out on defense and offense. Not always the case however, he had a few special games this year and did well in the tourney. His ceiling was much higher and perhaps the injuries were the main driver to him going into cruise control. He has a high bar at the next level.
Agreed, I thought EC's biggest issues were mental. Also his decision making didn't improve much over his time here. He was still a tremendous player in his time here and I wonder how different things would have been had he not torn his acl but there were other issues with his game that the injury shouldn't have affected.
0 x
Da_Process_Survivor
Cuttino Mobley

josephski wrote:
RhodeIslandBred wrote:For what its worth I agree with Ramrod. EC was his own worst enemy sometimes and you can just tell some games he had games where he was just mentally checked out on defense and offense. Not always the case however, he had a few special games this year and did well in the tourney. His ceiling was much higher and perhaps the injuries were the main driver to him going into cruise control. He has a high bar at the next level.
Agreed, I thought EC's biggest issues were mental. Also his decision making didn't improve much over his time here. He was still a tremendous player in his time here and I wonder how different things would have been had he not torn his acl but there were other issues with his game that the injury shouldn't have affected.
alot of this is confirmation bias junk. You have fans on both sides that think EC either is too passive, or too much hero ball and both sides only notice play that fits their narrative and they talk it up until that's the player he is.

If EC deferred in a game to the hot hand, you saw post after post of "typical EC, lazy, mentally distant, not into the game, too passive"
IF EC took over in a game, you saw post after post of "typical EC, ball hog, trying to play the hero, jealous of Terrell"

You know who EC is like in the amount of unwarranted criticism he gets from fans? Paul Pierce. For a decade, everything was Paul's fault. No matter what he did, people would say he should've done the opposite.
6 x
---
---
josephski
Tom Garrick

Unread post by josephski »

Da_Process_Survivor wrote:
josephski wrote:
alot of this is confirmation bias junk. You have fans on both sides that think EC either is too passive, or too much hero ball and both sides only notice play that fits their narrative and they talk it up until that's the player he is.

If EC deferred in a game to the hot hand, you saw post after post of "typical EC, lazy, mentally distant, not into the game, too passive"
IF EC took over in a game, you saw post after post of "typical EC, ball hog, trying to play the hero, jealous of Terrell"

You know who EC is like in the amount of unwarranted criticism he gets from fans? Paul Pierce. For a decade, everything was Paul's fault. No matter what he did, people would say he should've done the opposite.
And there's probably some truth to both sides. His poor decision making in my opinion was partially because he has never been that great of a 3 point shooter yet some games he'd fall in love with jacking up 3s rather than driving to the hoop, which he was much better at. Often times he also held onto the ball too long as well. I don't think he was doing it to be a ball hog, he just wasn't making quick enough decisions. One reason I mentioned the mental aspect is because I've never seen a player like EC shoot so many airballs during the season. During one stretch of the season is seemed like we were guaranteed at least one EC 3 per game. I know it's very minor but again, it's something that's uncommon and just seems like a mental lapse. Like I said, he was a tremendous player, I just think the idea that tearing his ACL killed his chances of being a first round pick is a stretch.
0 x
RAM67
Art Stephenson

Unread post by RAM67 »

I suggest that EC will be a better pro than college player, especially after the career he had under Hurley. I believe Dan has a way of stifling his players, even those who are at that special personal level. Not a knock on either, just the way I saw it.
0 x
SGreenwell
Sly Williams

Unread post by SGreenwell »

FWIW, I think there's also some of what Bill James once noted in one of his annual editions - The best player on a team typically draws more praise, and more scorn and criticism, than other players. Look at many of the bum teams LeBron drags to the finals, and the crap he gets when they don't win. It's not as "fun" or sexy to say, "Well, they're playing Boobie Gibson and the corpse of Danny Granger, probably their fault instead of LeBron's." I think it's a natural thing to blame a stellar player for not doing more, whereas we more readily accept the limitations of lesser players.
3 x
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

RAM67 wrote:I suggest that EC will be a better pro than college player, especially after the career he had under Hurley. I believe Dan has a way of stifling his players, even those who are at that special personal level. Not a knock on either, just the way I saw it.
I still think the biggest thing with him is/was/has been = health. I just hope the guy is able to get totally healthy at some point, to where he doesn't have to 'think about it', so that he can realize his full potential, whatever that may be....for his sake.
0 x
PeterRamTime
Ernie Calverley

Looky what I found!
How about we stop bitching about Dan and Brendan and watch Jared Terrell impress some scouts ;)

2 x
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

2 x
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

Send it in JT !!!
0 x
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

3 x
Seawrightspostgame
Sly Williams

Unread post by Seawrightspostgame »

Player of the year in my book
0 x
I want to change my name to BlockIslandFerry
jaywin86
Steve Chubin

Unread post by jaywin86 »

JT stats after 2 games - 30 mpg 11/22 fg 3/9 3pa 6/6 FT 15.5 ppg 5.5 rpg 3.0 apg 1.0 spg 1.0 bpg

last game tonight @ 7p - streaming can be found on http://netcastsports.com/
0 x
rhodylocal
Jeff Kent

Unread post by rhodylocal »

jaywin86 wrote:JT stats after 2 games - 30 mpg 11/22 fg 3/9 3pa 6/6 FT 15.5 ppg 5.5 rpg 3.0 apg 1.0 spg 1.0 bpg

Any idea where we can see published stats for this tournament?
0 x
Dan Hurley 2012-2018:
Year 1: 8-21 3-13 T–14th
Year 2:14-18 5-11 10th
Year 3:23-10 13-5 T-2nd NIT 2nd RD
Year 4:17-15 9-9 7th
Year 5:25-10 13-5 T-3rd NCAA T
Year 6:26-8 15-3 1st NCAA T

Archie Miller 2022-?:
Year 1:9-22 5-13 14th
jaywin86
Steve Chubin

Unread post by jaywin86 »

rhodylocal wrote:
jaywin86 wrote:JT stats after 2 games - 30 mpg 11/22 fg 3/9 3pa 6/6 FT 15.5 ppg 5.5 rpg 3.0 apg 1.0 spg 1.0 bpg

Any idea where we can see published stats for this tournament?

https://www.portsmouthinvitational.com/
0 x
PeterRamTime
Ernie Calverley

He and Rowsey have been tearing people up.

From what I've seen he's one of the more balanced guards out there.

If he can score over twenty that'll help a lot.
He at least will get time in the summer league.
0 x
giovanni
Carlton Owens

Unread post by giovanni »

9 x
adam914
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by adam914 »

That's awesome! Hope Terrell gets his shot to make the league.
1 x
giovanni
Carlton Owens

Unread post by giovanni »

I'm going to try to watch him again tonight in championship game. I thought he has played well in his first 2 games, but I think he can play better. Wishing him the best in his profession pursuit.
0 x
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by Billyboy78 »

We know he has the pro body. He already had that when he was in high school.
0 x
PeterRamTime
Ernie Calverley

giovanni wrote:
FUCK YES
0 x
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

Wow would be great if JT gets drafted !!
1 x
adam914
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by adam914 »

I don't think he'll get drafted, but seems like a great shot at a G-League deal.
3 x
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

I think Jared will play in the NBA. I don’t think he will be drafted - the draft is all about upside - but I do think he will eventually play in the League. I’m glad he is crushing it at PIT, but I thought this for a while. Once his shooting improved I felt like he was an NBA player. Maybe it takes a couple years to get the shot, but I wouldn’t be shocked if he gets onto a roster next season.
4 x