Rhody baseball

Talk about all other Rhody teams, from Baseball to Indoor Track.
GansettRam74
Marc Upshaw

Rhody baseball

Unread post by GansettRam74 »

Baseball team off to a very rough start this season. I just read they lost their fourth game in a row today, to Lasalle. Anyone follow the team closely enough to know how the team picked to be 3rd in A10 is so bad? I remember talk months ago that baseball team was the best team URI had! Rough sports year continues for major sport teams at Rhody.
0 x
rhodyfan3
ARD

Re: Rhody baseball

Unread post by rhodyfan3 »

Everyone talks about how the baseball team is the best sports program we have. Given their record and success in the A10 this could be true. However, anytime they play a nationally ranked team or one of the teams down south they lose. We always start out 0 for something or maybe we get a win or two. To be considered a top program we should beat those teams at some point..
0 x
bressler3south
Carlton Owens

Unread post by bressler3south »

Not time to go negative on one of the successful athletic teams at the University. Things will be on the upswing. (No pun intended.)
0 x
RF1
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by RF1 »

rhodyfan3 wrote:Everyone talks about how the baseball team is the best sports program we have. Given their record and success in the A10 this could be true. However, anytime they play a nationally ranked team or one of the teams down south they lose. We always start out 0 for something or maybe we get a win or two. To be considered a top program we should beat those teams at some point..

They lost to a northern school in their first year of D1 as was the case with UMass-Lowell. It has not been unusual to see bad starts with all the games played away down south. This team however has also gotten off to a bad start vs New England and in the A-10. That does not bode well.
0 x
ATPTourFan
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ATPTourFan »

Can you really get worried about early returns in a BASEBALL season? This is the sport where the elite teams in MLB win maybe 60% of their games. It's such a crapshoot kind of sport dominated by failure to do something exceptionally hard (hit a baseball).

I don't know, but I think they'll be fine. Good point on how they should some day start to beat these top teams, but there's a huge gulf between top teams in the A10 and top teams nationally in the warm weather states.
0 x
Support Coach Miller & Rhody Basketball! Give to the Athletic Director's Fund
rhodyfan3
ARD

Yeah sorry about the negativity guys. I hope nothing but the best for the team.
0 x
Rhody4012016
Jeff Kent

Unread post by Rhody4012016 »

Stadium Journey did a review of the Beck http://www.stadiumjourney.com/stadiums/ ... ield-s1917
0 x
Give me football or give me death
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

rhodyfan3 wrote:Yeah sorry about the negativity guys. I hope nothing but the best for the team.
Shortstop Tim Caputo being hurt was a factor - he is back now - an outstanding player for URI
0 x
OBRAM
Art Stephenson

Unread post by OBRAM »

Rhody4012016 wrote:Stadium Journey did a review of the Beck http://www.stadiumjourney.com/stadiums/bill-beck-field-s1917
Hopefully, some kinds of Stands can be built at Beck Field, but the older I get and live in RI and see that things do not much ever change with the State government of RI, it maybe a long wait.
0 x
Rhody4012016
Jeff Kent

It is sad because baseball is one of the few good sports we have. They could just have a little bit of an experience for the games.
0 x
bressler3south
Carlton Owens

Unread post by bressler3south »

The Review was nicely presented and beyond fair. Let's face it, it's like going to a Little League or American Legion tilt….
0 x
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

Unread post by RhowdyRam02 »

Rhody is now 6-20 on the year, 2-5 in conference. There was some good news on the diamond yesterday though. Lou Distasio threw a complete game one hitter to beat Fordham 2-0. Here's some video from ABC 6: http://www.abc6.com/story/25176583/dist ... st-fordham
0 x
Take down the Robert Carothers banner and fix the concession stand lines
rhodyfan3
ARD

Went to my first baseball game yesterday. They were pretty much dominated by Bryant for the entire game. They let up 2 runs in the first and then 5 runs in the second. The second inning was ugly from the pitching to the fielding. After the second, the pitcher Ben Wessel seemed to finally settle down. The bats weren't there. The box score shows they ended the game with 7 hits, but they had 1 through 6 innings of play (the one hit was in the first inning). I'm glad they finally got some runs on the board, but it just didn't look like they have the talent this year.
On a positive note the shortstop Tim Caputo made a few good plays at short, I liked what I saw from him.
Anyone else at the game yesterday?
Last edited by rhodyfan3 10 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
0 x
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by rambone 78 »

How in the world was this team ranked in the preseason?

Makes no sense, unless they went off last year's team.

Dominated by Bryant in anything, is a joke.
0 x
SmartyBarrett
Sly Williams

Unread post by SmartyBarrett »

Bryant played in the CWS last year, going 45-18 (and 27-5 in conference play). They're no joke.
0 x
RF1
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by RF1 »

It is typically a given that URI baseball will be at a big disadvantage and lose most of its early seasons southern trip away games. That happened this year as in past seasons. The more disconcerting aspect to the record of the 2014 Rams is all the losses to New England teams. URI is just 1-4 versus New England teams and just 1-2 versus NEC conference teams. They even lost to a first year provisional D1 team in UMass-Lowell. They are actually getting dominated by other New England schools as they have lost by a combined score of 34-18 in five games, four of which were in Kingston. It would appear that this team isn't very good as its record bears this out.

2014 URI Baseball Vs New England Teams
UMass-Lowell: L8-4
Sacred Heart: W10-9
Northeastern: L6-0
@CCSU: L3-1
Bryant: L8-3
0 x
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

And Bryant University has a significantly better baseball stadium than we have. People need to stop acting like Bryant is still D2 Bryant College. They're D1, and they're serious about athletics.
0 x
rhodyfan3
ARD

I wasn't trying to knock Bryant I was just sharing some thoughts on the game. I heard that they are #1 in New England right now, but I haven't checked that one. I'm just surprised at the dip the baseball team has taken this year compared to the last three years I have been here.
0 x
RF1
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by RF1 »

rhodyfan3 wrote:I wasn't trying to knock Bryant I was just sharing some thoughts on the game. I heard that they are #1 in New England right now, but I haven't checked that one. I'm just surprised at the dip the baseball team has taken this year compared to the last three years I have been here.

You didn't knock Bryant. You merely reported what you saw. It was Rambone 78 that knocked losing to Bryant with this sentence in his subsequent post:

Dominated by Bryant in anything, is a joke.
0 x
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

Sorry Rhodyfan3 that I was unclear. What I said was in regards to rambone like RF1 said.
0 x
rhodyfan3
ARD

No problem guys. Just unfortunate URI baseball is having an off year.
0 x
wakefield
Steve Chubin

Unread post by wakefield »

A10 Network - free

Dayton vs. Rhode Island

Sat Apr 12, 2014 12:45 PM

Baseball
0 x
Rhody4012016
Jeff Kent

there is a plan to get upgrades
0 x
Seawrightspostgame
Sly Williams

Unread post by Seawrightspostgame »

What's up with baseball? 3-13 in April?
0 x
I want to change my name to BlockIslandFerry
RF1
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by RF1 »

Record as of Saturday (05-03-14) morning:

Overall (Pct.) 9-34 (.209)
Conference (Pct.) 4-13 (.235)
Streak Lost 3
Home 6-14
Away 2-19
Neutral 1-1
Vs New England 2-8
0 x
RF1
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by RF1 »

This is truly shaping up to be one of the worst seasons in recent years. Rhody baseball has not performed well against anyone anywhere. It has been bad vs southern teams, vs A-10, vs New England, on the road, and even at home. With a 2-8 record versus New England, generally not considered a strong college basketball area, it is one of the worst programs in the region this season.
Last edited by RF1 10 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
0 x
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

With their last A10 series starting tomorrow, URI has already failed to qualify for this year's conference tournament. Before this year they had a conference best streak of 11 straight seasons making the tournament.
0 x
RF1
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by RF1 »

Season mercifully comes to an end with two home losses to Richmond. Baseball finished one of its worst seasons at 13-40 overall and 7-18 in the A-10. Very disappointing record for a team that was picked for 3rd in the conference and even received votes in Collegiate Baseball's 2014 Preseason Poll.
0 x