A-10. 3-5 WhoWantsNext?!!??

Talk about the men's team, upcoming opponents and news from around college hoop.
Smokinjimit
ARD

A-10. 3-5 WhoWantsNext?!!??

Unread post by Smokinjimit »

Great job Dayton. No wonder Ohio state won't play you in the regular season.
0 x
RF1
Ernie Calverley

Re: A-10. 1-0

Unread post by RF1 »

Very exciting game. Last second shot wins it 60-59. Four lead changes in the last minute.
0 x
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

Unread post by TruePoint »

I'm happy for the A10, but the referees handed that game to Dayton. I would be very upset if I were an OSU fan. Officials should not be deciding games in late March.
0 x
"If you build it, they will come." --Us, circa 2011
twisted3829
Carlton Owens

Unread post by twisted3829 »

how do you figure TP? thought the refs were good, that was a clearly a foul on the 3
0 x
NOT IN OUR HOUSE
Ramulous
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Ramulous »

TP, are you serious ? It all evens out in the end......you must be training to become part of the national media and coaches who believe the A-10 got too many teams in and that the conference is not that good.....

....let's keep hoping the A-10 proves all these nay-sayers wrong....
0 x
F*ck Alacki, DarthFriar, DirtyBeanFriar94, xCoachK, Boxworth, Friar Faithful, bicycleicycle, Matt_Keough, Patrick Norton, the Rosato brothers, and especially Benjamin Lord !
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

Ramulous wrote:TP, are you serious ? It all evens out in the end......you must be training to become part of the national media and coaches who believe the A-10 got too many teams in and that the conference is not that good.....

....let's keep hoping the A-10 proves all these nay-sayers wrong....
Not at all. I was rooting for Dayton, but I thought there were four clear calls that were wrong down the stretch: flagrant foul on Craft, no-call on over-the-back offensive rebound by Dayton on missed three pointer, foul called when Dayton player fell down at the top of the key trying to beat OSU defender off the dribble, and no-call on last drive by Craft to win the game.
0 x
theblueram
Frank Keaney

Unread post by theblueram »

That's ridiculous tp.
0 x
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

theblueram wrote:That's ridiculous tp.
?
0 x
Shinze88
Art Stephenson

Unread post by Shinze88 »

Wow, that Dayton team looks nothing like the team that visited the Ryan Center earlier in the season.

They look like a tough out and will give Syracuse a run.
0 x
theblueram
Frank Keaney

Unread post by theblueram »

Each of the 4 plays you mention I agreed with the call on the court. Craft was at least intentional. Tv people agreed. The foul at the top of the key was the correct call. Osu was leaning in and caused the fall. Craft was not fouled on the final play. In fact Dayton was clearly playing the last minute with no intention to foul.
0 x
Seawrightspostgame
Sly Williams

Unread post by Seawrightspostgame »

If anything I thought they were giving craft the foul on all his and1's.

Good kid, great ambassador. Not a guy that improved his game over the course of his career.
0 x
I want to change my name to BlockIslandFerry
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

theblueram wrote:Each of the 4 plays you mention I agreed with the call on the court. Craft was at least intentional. Tv people agreed. The foul at the top of the key was the correct call. Osu was leaning in and caused the fall. Craft was not fouled on the final play. In fact Dayton was clearly playing the last minute with no intention to foul.
TV people always agree with the call on the court. That doesn't mean anything to me. I thought in all four cases that the call was clearly wrong. Not just questionable, but clearly incorrect. And like I said, I was rooting for Dayton and am glad they won.
0 x
ELeslie's 1st assist
Abdul Fox

Unread post by ELeslie's 1st assist »

Not sure what the beef is with the officiating. It was fine. If you want critique every whistle blown in the tournament, start another thread. Newsflash...there will be some controversial calls in the NCAA tourney. But in the OSU/Dayton, it was job well done.
0 x
rhodylaw
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by rhodylaw »

Wow TP - did you lose money in this one? That was clearly intentional. Not flagrant, but intentional when you wrap a guy up like that. Craft only had to hack his shooting hand to avoid the intentional
0 x
ELeslie's 1st assist
Abdul Fox

Unread post by ELeslie's 1st assist »

Also, not sure how you can say "clearly incorrect." You can make a case (a poor one in my opinion) that the calls were wrong. But clearly incorrect?? C'mon, that's plain ridiculous. .
0 x
BPR2010
ARD

Unread post by BPR2010 »

TP, you can't seriously think the flagrant on Craft was wrong. He didn't make a play on the ball at all. He wrapped his arm around the guy. You will see that called a flagrant every time when you make it that obvious. No if's, and's, or but's about it. Always called. Also, fouls are committed on drives at the buzzer every time. They will NEVER call it. Just like pass interferences on hail mary's at the end of a football game. You said don't let the refs decide the game. Calling a foul on that last play, would be the refs deciding the fate of the game. The others were questionable, I'll give you that. Either way, great first game of the tournament!
0 x
Andrew
Jimmy Baron

Unread post by Andrew »

The last shot by Craft was a textbook definition of a right no-call.
0 x
Go Rhody!
twisted3829
Carlton Owens

Unread post by twisted3829 »

TP, that's a flagrant foul, its a foul with no play on the ball on a fast break lay up. You talk about how you don't want the refs deciding the game then complain they don't call an iffy foul in the final seconds. Craft went into 3 guys straight up and threw up a prayer that almost went in. The only one that was a bad call was when the dayton guy fell dribbling but it didn't decide the game
0 x
NOT IN OUR HOUSE
bigappleram
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by bigappleram »

Aaron Craft is one of the most overrated players in the history of college hoops. Right up there with Dickie V's butt boy Steve Wojo from Duke. The recruiter at OSU that decided they should take Craft instead of Trey Burke should be fired. Craft is a nice player, would welcome him in Rhody Blue, but he is nowhere near the player he is hyped up to be.
0 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

Andrew wrote:The last shot by Craft was a textbook definition of a right no-call.
agree, that was a very good no-call.
Dayton won the game, they outplayed Ohio State.
Referee good calls, bad calls and no calls all even out.
I once knew a Veteran High School Referee who also Ref'd some college games too. When players, fans or coaches complained about his calls he always said to them "Look, I only make two kinds of calls - those I see and those I don't see".
0 x
jmck
Lamar Odom

Unread post by jmck »

That last play with Craft was clearly a no call. He just barreled in and was hoping for contact. One Dayton player was clearly trying to get out of his way.
0 x
rhodyrudder
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by rhodyrudder »

That ref cost me a billion dollars!!!
Roll that around on your tongue for a while.
The FIRST FREAKIN GAME!!!

Oh well.
0 x
bressler3south
Carlton Owens

Unread post by bressler3south »

Hey, TP: I didn't see it, really. I was at work.
8-) 8-) 8-) 8-) 8-) 8-) 8-) 8-) 8-) 8-) 8-) 8-) 8-) 8-)
Sounds like it was a helluva game!
0 x
Rhody74
Sly Williams

Unread post by Rhody74 »

Cincinnati loses to Harvard, leaving Dayton as the sole Ohio team left in the tournament. Happy for the Flyers ....
0 x
Slava Ukraini!
STC
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by STC »

bressler3south wrote:Hey, TP: I didn't see it, really. I was at work.

Same here i was at work and missed it. Seriously do any of you guys work?!?!?
0 x
Rhody74
Sly Williams

Unread post by Rhody74 »

I work at home, so I can have the TV on in the background ....
0 x
Slava Ukraini!
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

You are obviously fouling "intentionally" when you are fouling to stop a guy from taking a layup on a fast break. The intent was pretty clearly to wrap him up on the ground before he got into the air and it became a dangerous play. A flagrant foul is such punitive call that it should only be made when the intent is to injure the opponent, not just because the foul was committed "intentionally." That is a ridiculous interpretation of the rule.

As far as the other calls, I can't fathom how the Dayton guy falling down on his own is a foul but not the guy who gets hit in the air trying to get a shot off. The ratio of contact on those plays was about 100:1. The amount of time left on the clock shouldn't impact the call.
0 x
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

STC wrote:

They stream the games online. Speaking of which my stream has been lousy today. Anyone else??
0 x
bressler3south
Carlton Owens

Unread post by bressler3south »

TruePoint wrote:
STC wrote:

They stream the games online. Speaking of which my stream has been lousy today. Anyone else??
I work with and in front of others….The only stream I'm getting is laughing too much while reading this thread and peeing my pants!!!!!!!!!!!!!
:lol: :o :lol: :o :lol: :o :lol: :o :lol: :o :lol: :o :lol: :o :lol: :o :lol: :o :lol:
Gotta love the Crimson defeating FORMER BIG-LEAST MEMBER ZINZINNATI!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
The look on Cronin's face was priceless. Pale..paler…palest!!!!!!!!!!
8-) 8-) 8-) 8-) 8-) 8-) 8-) 8-) 8-) 8-) 8-) 8-) 8-) 8-) 8-) 8-) 8-) 8-) 8-)
0 x
URI_05
ARD

Unread post by URI_05 »

TruePoint wrote:You are obviously fouling "intentionally" when you are fouling to stop a guy from taking a layup on a fast break. The intent was pretty clearly to wrap him up on the ground before he got into the air and it became a dangerous play. A flagrant foul is such punitive call that it should only be made when the intent is to injure the opponent, not just because the foul was committed "intentionally." That is a ridiculous interpretation of the rule.

As far as the other calls, I can't fathom how the Dayton guy falling down on his own is a foul but not the guy who gets hit in the air trying to get a shot off. The ratio of contact on those plays was about 100:1. The amount of time left on the clock shouldn't impact the call.
That "ridiculous interpretation of the rule" is the rule and it's called 100 out of 100 times. You hook the body and don't go for the ball, they call it.
0 x
ramfan85
Carlton Owens

Unread post by ramfan85 »

I thought the refs were pretty fair. Only having played 1 yr. of junior high BB, I can't debate an intentional from a flagrant foul. I always thought that a flagrant is called once the player has passed the defender. Could be wrong.
It felt like we won today. I'm really cheering for our teams this year, even UMass., (I know what I said in an earlier thread).

I guess our Daytonflyer fan has better things to do today than post here. But, if he/she is reading, CONGRATULATIONS!!! Keep it up.

If we can get at least 3-4 of our teams advancing, I'll feel satisfied. Of course, all 6 advancing would be unreal.

I jokingly picked Harvard to go all the way. Could it happen?
0 x
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by Billyboy78 »

If a player makes no attempt on the ball, and grabs the offensive player by the body, it's an automatic flagrant 1. That is exactly what happened.
0 x
bigappleram
Ernie Calverley

They called a similar foul in the Iowa game last night. The old intentional foul is now a Flagrant 1, and URI05 is right they call it all the time.

On a sep note, could the disparity in SAT scores be any greater than in a game between Harvard and the Univ of Cincinnati?
0 x
SGreenwell
Sly Williams

Unread post by SGreenwell »

I'm with TP somewhat - I thought the flagrant, while correct, was a bit iffy, and it doesn't make sense with the end of the game result. If you're going to call the flagrant by the letter of the law, then why wasn't Craft's final drive also a foul? On replay, it looked like he got bumped down the court, and while one Dayton player was backing up, it looked like two others might have made contact. Either call the flagrant and end of game foul, or just call it a personal foul instead of a flagrant and a no-foul at the end.

One other foul called was also clearly wrong - With about a minute left, the Dayton guard basically just tripped over his own feet. Karma though, he missed both.
0 x
CT Rhody
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by CT Rhody »

Truepoint - You can't be serious? I couldn't disagree with that statement any more. Maybe you just watched a different game then the rest of the country.
0 x
Sweep The Leg
Tom Garrick

Unread post by Sweep The Leg »

So, I asked a former D1 asst coach who would like to remain nameless here in Vegas. He said it was more intentional than flagrant, but either should have been called. He made the point that Craft should not have played that way to begin with. Don't give the ref the opportunity to call it, slap at the ball with all your power.
0 x
'No Mercy.'
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

URI_05 wrote:
TruePoint wrote:You are obviously fouling "intentionally" when you are fouling to stop a guy from taking a layup on a fast break. The intent was pretty clearly to wrap him up on the ground before he got into the air and it became a dangerous play. A flagrant foul is such punitive call that it should only be made when the intent is to injure the opponent, not just because the foul was committed "intentionally." That is a ridiculous interpretation of the rule.

That "ridiculous interpretation of the rule" is the rule and it's called 100 out of 100 times. You hook the body and don't go for the ball, they call it.
Some do-gooder refs may call it, but it is hardly 100 out of 100. If the NCAA feels that call was made correctly then the rule should be changed. The guy made the smart and safe play and got penalized for it. Anyway, it doesn't matter. The calls are the calls and I'm glad Dayton won the game. Good for them and good for the A10. I'm just saying that if I were a OSU fan (and I couldn't be less of an OSU fan) I'd be a little aggravated with the way the game was officiated down the stretch.
0 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

Agree that it was stupid to make the call something the ref could call anyway. Call desrved to be called by the ref simply on stupidity.
Glad Dayton won, it was not due to the refs at all.
Give Dayton the credit due, the refs did not cost Ohio State the game.
0 x
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Sweep The Leg wrote:So, I asked a former D1 asst coach who would like to remain nameless here in Vegas. He said it was more intentional than flagrant, but either should have been called. He made the point that Craft should not have played that way to begin with. Don't give the ref the opportunity to call it, slap at the ball with all your power.
There is no such thing as an intentional foul anymore. It's a flagrant 1 or a flagrant 2.
0 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

St Joseph's beating UCONN by 9 with 4 minutes left in the first half.
0 x
bigappleram
Ernie Calverley

The A10 winning is like troll repellent.....Keep It Up Boys!!!!!
0 x
ATPTourFan
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ATPTourFan »

Joe's unfortunately couldn't extend their lead to double digits and instead gave up a late 3 to finish the half up just 5.
0 x
Support Coach Miller & Rhody Basketball! Give to the Athletic Director's Fund
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

Allie LaForce just interviewed Phil Martelli just before he went to the locker room at halftime. Talk about beauty and the beast :D :D :D
0 x
RoadyJay
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by RoadyJay »

ramster wrote:Allie LaForce just interviewed Phil Martelli just before he went to the locker room at halftime. Talk about beauty and the beast :D :D :D

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
0 x
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

St. Louis doesn't look very good so far, losing by 11.
0 x
ATPTourFan
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ATPTourFan »

Joe's blew it... FIRE MARTELLI!! PhilMustGo.com

But SLU clawed back and tied the game for OT where they lead by 3.
0 x
Support Coach Miller & Rhody Basketball! Give to the Athletic Director's Fund
TexRam
Marc Upshaw

Unread post by TexRam »

Wow, St. Louis!

Sent from my HTC6500LVW using Tapatalk
0 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

Wow, great win by St Louis. Coach K must be pissed since he mouthed off about the A10 getting 6 bids. He was high on NC State and SLU beats them. A10 really needed this win tonight.
0 x
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

The A10 played three of the best games today - maybe THE three best.
0 x
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by rambone 78 »

A10 2-1 on opening day. Not bad.

Joes should have won, StLouis probably should have lost. It evened out.

I see another 2-1 day tomorrow, with UMass the only loser.

If we get 4-2, or even 5-1, Coach K can officially shut the fuck up.
0 x