Mike Aaman (URI Medical DQ, Wagner Transfer)

Talk about the men's team, upcoming opponents and news from around college hoop.
URI_05
ARD

Mike Aaman (URI Medical DQ, Wagner Transfer)

Unread post by URI_05 »

As many of us suspected:

0 x
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

Re: Mike Aaman medically disqualified, URI career is over.

Unread post by TruePoint »

Too bad but we knew this was coming. I hope he is given the opportunity to stay at URI and get his degree. Wherever he goes from here, in wish him the best.

Edit: I see that URI will honor his schollie and that he is going to try to get his degree. I'm glad to hear that.
0 x
"If you build it, they will come." --Us, circa 2011
RF1
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by RF1 »

No surprise. I hope he can lead a normal life without any lingering side effects.
0 x
SGreenwell
Sly Williams

Unread post by SGreenwell »

Rough news for Mike, definitely, but at least it gives him some finality. His health really does have to be his No. 1 concern after all, given everything that's coming out about concussions and brain damage.
0 x
adam914
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by adam914 »

Happy to hear we are honoring the scholarship and he plans on being close to the program in some capacity. I feel like the team can always use his kind of energy, even if its from the sidelines.
0 x
section(105)
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by section(105) »

Sad to hear this, maybe against Fordham and after Sr Day ceremonies, he can take seat at bench and be recognized........
0 x
Ram logo via Grist 1938
twisted3829
Carlton Owens

Unread post by twisted3829 »

he was on the bench today
0 x
NOT IN OUR HOUSE
McRam
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by McRam »

I think it is a great idea to have some kind of recognition at the Fordham game. anyone for Amen!!!!!
0 x
Rhody74
Sly Williams

Unread post by Rhody74 »

The only bad news on an otherwise great day. I loved Aaman's heart and thought he would've been a nice role-player.
0 x
Slava Ukraini!
ace
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by ace »

Knew this was coming, but I'm still still sick about it. Mike is a good kid and a great teammate. With all the talk about how and when kids make their decision about where to play, and with all the resulting drama, he committed to playing for Dan in 11th grade, before he even played a single game in his junior season. It's what he wanted. I hate that something he's worked so hard for, something that's been such a huge part of his life, has been taken away from him. I hope, for his sake and the team's, that he can handle being a part of this thing here in a different role. It will be tough, I'm sure. Respect to the school for sticking with him and providing the opportunity. All the best to you, Mike.
0 x
RAM67
Art Stephenson

Unread post by RAM67 »

Nice post Ace.
0 x
rhodyfan3
ARD

Unread post by rhodyfan3 »

Very bad news. Mike was a great player and I loved his energy off the bench. He will be missed for sure. Its good to see he will stay and support the team.
0 x
rodfromcranston
Frank Keaney

Unread post by rodfromcranston »

What Ace said.
0 x
< Arthur is my spirit animal.
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by Billyboy78 »

I think he'll stay involved with the team. They're like family to him ("feels good to see all the people that have always been there for me #URI). He was at halfcourt with the team in warmups and on the bench cheering loudly for the team. Of course, it will be hard for him not to play. He's a competitor. But he'll stick with the team in some capacity and get a degree, in my opinion.
0 x
Rhody72
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Rhody72 »

I hope he stays out of fights as well.
0 x
NCAAs or Bust!
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by rambone 78 »

5 concussions in 2 years at URI is mind boggling.

Wonder how many of those are BB related? We know about the last one.

Unfortunately, once you've had a couple of them, you are more easily susceptible to getting more.

Tough for a kid his age, but he's got to avoid anything that could involve contact.

Wish him the best.
0 x
ace
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by ace »

Nice article. That one is worth giving that site a few clicks.
0 x
Ramulous
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Ramulous »

I don't know Mike at all.....I would defer to Ace who seems to know the Jersey kids pretty well and she commends the young man.....but as a parent of a college age child I wonder if he has made some awful decisions off the court which has led him down this road....I hope if he has made foolish decisions this development shocks him into planning for his future by academics and learning how to coach the sport he loves...and not jeopardize his health and future employability by continuing to make poor decisions.....if he as made them...I wish him well....
0 x
F*ck Alacki, DarthFriar, DirtyBeanFriar94, xCoachK, Boxworth, Friar Faithful, bicycleicycle, Matt_Keough, Patrick Norton, the Rosato brothers, and especially Benjamin Lord !
adam914
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by adam914 »

Ramulous wrote:I don't know Mike at all.....I would defer to Ace who seems to know the Jersey kids pretty well and she commends the young man.....but as a parent of a college age child I wonder if he has made some awful decisions off the court which has led him down this road....I hope if he has made foolish decisions this development shocks him into planning for his future by academics and learning how to coach the sport he loves...and not jeopardize his health and future employability by continuing to make poor decisions.....if he as made them...I wish him well....
He basically admitted to just this in his quotes yesterday. He said he has made some mistakes and it was a lesson learned the hard way.
0 x
ace
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by ace »

I know he just wants to play, but this seems risky. I hope it all works out for him.

0 x
ATPTourFan
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ATPTourFan »

Mike, please be safe. Getting a degree and being physically and mentally functional is more important than a few more years of competitive basketball.

I thought he had a nice set up with keeping scholarship at URI.
0 x
Support Coach Miller & Rhody Basketball! Give to the Athletic Director's Fund
Ramulous
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Ramulous »

Godspeed to Mike !!
0 x
F*ck Alacki, DarthFriar, DirtyBeanFriar94, xCoachK, Boxworth, Friar Faithful, bicycleicycle, Matt_Keough, Patrick Norton, the Rosato brothers, and especially Benjamin Lord !
Keaney.Blue
Lamar Odom

Unread post by Keaney.Blue »

I was knocked out a time or two in college due to flying elbows, those hits stay with you. You don't think about the long term consequences of multiple concussions when you're in the moment, but not being able to immediately remember what I did last Friday or Saturday nights is a problem. Good luck to Mike I hope he follows the advice of his doctors
0 x
rodfromcranston
Frank Keaney

I like Mike, but making sound decisions isn't exactly a strong point
with him.
This is bizarre. He's passing up a free ride, just to play ball somewhere.
What school, knowing his circumstances, is going to give him a scholarship?
0 x
adam914
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by adam914 »

Seems so risky...best of luck Mike, hope everything turns out ok for him.
0 x
BFC
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by BFC »

0 x
ace
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by ace »

The biggest risks with concussions is having many and getting a second one before being completely recovered from the first, which is why so many athletes have lingering problems. There aren't a lot of other life situations that put you in the position to get hit in the head so often. The climate is changing with awareness and education, but there's still work to be done. The red flags around this situation are pretty obvious.

Aaman originally committed to Wagner in the fall of his junior year of high school, so going there could make sense. From a basketball and personal perspective, Hurley would have nothing but good things to say to Mason and the rest of the staff. From a health perspective, I think URI's view is pretty clear.
0 x
Rhody74
Sly Williams

Unread post by Rhody74 »

Given how URI's roster has been upgraded, I doubt Aaman would have gotten much playing time, even if he were cleared to play here.
0 x
Slava Ukraini!
Ashcat
Steve Chubin

Unread post by Ashcat »

Now that both Mike Powell and Mike Aaman have been granted releases and are transferring from URI, are the number of athletic scholarships available to the BB team affected or were the full scholarships URI granted these two gentleman strictly academic?
0 x
ace
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by ace »

Ashcat wrote:Now that both Mike Powell and Mike Aaman have been granted releases and are transferring from URI, are the number of athletic scholarships available to the BB team affected or were the full scholarships URI granted these two gentleman strictly academic?
The only thing that's different is that they would now have a scholarship open for 14-15, which gives them a little flexibility.

They'll have two for sure after the 14-15 season with Biruta and Buchanan graduating.

There's one '15 commit in Butts.

Technically, if they were to pick up someone late this summer or mid-way through the season, like Watson this past season, they would only have 1 for 14-15, but these things are very fluid.
0 x
Ramblinrose
Art Stephenson

Unread post by Ramblinrose »

What medical staff is going to clear him to play. Seven concussions? I understand he wants to play but should the decision be in his hands?
0 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

Ramblinrose wrote:What medical staff is going to clear him to play. Seven concussions? I understand he wants to play but should the decision be in his hands?
Allan Chaney went to Florida then transferred to Virginia Tech where he was diagnosed with viral myocarditis, an inflammatory heart disease after he collapsed during a workout at VaTech. He had a defibrillator installed.
VaTech would not allow him to play basketball anymore so Chaney transferred to High Point where he played but then had to stop again.
My guess is that it is up to the Player and the School. URI has made it's decision, doesn't mean every school will make the same decision.
As stated by some earlier and I agree, Aaman would not have seen signficant action at URI anyway, so maybe best that he move on to play at a Wagner or LIU as is being reported to be showing interest - he would also be close to home and to his home-state doctors just in case.

http://espn.go.com/mens-college-basketb ... ume-career
0 x
RF1
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by RF1 »

Any school that would clear Aamen is taking a big risk.

This really seems like another one of his poor judgement decisions. I admire his passion for the game but he should not play given his medical history. He should just be thankful he can live a mostly healthy life from here on out with no lingering medical conditions.
0 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

RF1 wrote:Any school that would clear Aamen is taking a big risk.

This really seems like another one of his poor judgement decisions. I admire his passion for the game but he should not play given his medical history. He should just be thankful he can live a mostly healthy life from here on out with no lingering medical conditions.
I think the risk is all in how the paperwork is formated, agreed to and signed according to the school lawyers. The school is not a doctor, nor is the player. The lawyers can make up the committment such that the kid and his family are taking all responsibility. I am sure that the High Point University Lawyers saw to that when Allan Chaney went to play for High Point AFTER Virginia Tech did not allow him to play after his collapse and defabrillator insertion. Kids sign agreements all the time for High School Basketball, Little League, Cheerleading, Community Football -
0 x
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

Any school that would clear him is putting him at a big risk. It would be totally irresponsible.
0 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

TruePoint wrote:

Any school that would clear him is putting him at a big risk. It would be totally irresponsible.
Are you a Doctor? Have you read the Doctor Reports? What would be the risk if he and his family sign all the appropriate papers removing the school from risk and saying they take full responsibility?
What if Mike himself, and his family, want to take on the risk (in fact just as he is doing now playing summer leage ball in New Jersey) so that he can play basketball? Are you saying Mike is being totally irresponsible?
I think the decision to play or not to play should be up to Mike himself. He can read the Doctor's reports, listen to the Doctors and make up his own mind. The school should also had the final say as to whether they allow him to play for them or not just as they do now for all players - but if the school says they would like him to play for them - and Mike agrees to take the risk and the opportunity then I don't see that as "totally irresponsible" - I see that as a judgemental decision based on the facts, based on the mutual agreement of the school and the player and based on the level of risk that Mike wants to assume.
0 x
rodfromcranston
Frank Keaney

So, if he wanted to jump off the George Washington Bridge, just
because he wanted to, it would be fine, right?
It is irresponsible on his part and whatever school is desperate
enough to take that chance.
Look up Hank Gathers and see the endless and costly law suits his death
brought about.
0 x
NHRamFan
Lamar Odom

Unread post by NHRamFan »

Not to mention the tons of stories of athletes who ignored the long term potential problems of multiple concussions and continued to play their sport. Headaches; sensitivity to light; inability to concentrate or read; etc. In essence, they become a burden to the health care system/society due to the choice they make.
(and cue the Freedom of Choice discussion.....Remember, I live in the good, old Live Free or Die State. However, I am a firm believer that if you take stupid risks your insurance company and employer's disability insurers should not be held liable to spend an eternity paying for it....)
0 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

So why is mike playing now? If you were at one of his summer league games would you walk up to him and advise him that he shouldn't be playing the game because it is too dangerous for him? And based on what would you be telling him this? Would you provide him with the jumping off the bridge story? Would you tell him to go read the hank Gaithers story?
I like Letting the kid make his own decisions along with his family if he so chooses to involve them.
0 x
Ramblinrose
Art Stephenson

He can play if he wants but no reputable medical team should allow it.
0 x
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

ramster, I'm not a doctor, but the medical team that decided it is too dangerous for URI to let him keep playing does include doctors.
0 x
bressler3south
Carlton Owens

Unread post by bressler3south »

Good luck to Mike Aaman, wherever his life takes him. If he wants to play and a doctor clears him, SHAME ON BOTH OF THEM, HIS PARENTS, AND THE SCHOOL THAT ASSUMES A RIDICULOUS RISK.
I HOPE THAT HE GETS AN EDUCATION, EARNS A DEGREE, AND BECOMES A PRODUCTIVE MEMBER OF SOCIETY, AND REALIZES THAT BASKETBALL IS A GAME.
IF HE WANTS TO BE INVOLVED IN BASKETBALL, BECOME A COACH.
0 x
Rhody Guy
Art Stephenson

Unread post by Rhody Guy »

Even if he doesn't play high level basketball again I would bet anything he will find somewhere to play just because he loves the sport. I would do the same thing.
0 x
Ramblinrose
Art Stephenson

The decision should not be in his hands.
0 x
bressler3south
Carlton Owens

Unread post by bressler3south »

Mike Aaman should call David Wilson, FORMERLY OF THE N.Y. FOOTBALL GIANTS, and compare notes about Life,,,,Maybe he'll learn something.
0 x
rodfromcranston
Frank Keaney

I seems like, "It's my life and I'll do what I want!
To hell with the consequences!"
Just not very smart and very selfish. Risking his health to play a game.
He's been told by doctors and Dan Hurley not to play basketball, for
legitimate reasons.
These people tried to protect him. URI offered him a way to get his future
under way. A free education. Something few have a chance at getting.
I guess nobody can protect him
from his own stupidity.
0 x
Keaney.Blue
Lamar Odom

Unread post by Keaney.Blue »

At the end of the day, it's up to Mike to decide whether to continue playing basketball. When you're young it's much harder to put long term consequences in perspective, and I'm sure Mike believes he has a possible professional career ahead of him. If I were advising him, the first thing I'd tell him is head injuries, although unseen, are much more serious than any torn ACLs or broken arms. Ligaments and bones heal, brain tissue does not. There's also a lot more to life than playing basketball (which I'm finding out personally) and it's important to remember that your playing career will only last a few more years. After that you'll be thrust into the "real world" where things like cognitive brain function are necessary!
0 x
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

Every other word of your post highlights why the adults in Mike's life should do everything they can to make sure the first sentence of it isn't true.
0 x