My Mother Always Used To Say.....

Talk about the men's team, upcoming opponents and news from around college hoop.
rodfromcranston
Frank Keaney

My Mother Always Used To Say.....

Unread post by rodfromcranston »

"Sonny, don't go where you aren't wanted."
And since the ad hominem personal attacks on me have gone
undefended by people who claim to be "friends" in person, or anyone on this board,
perhaps the words that ATP wrote in his PM to me are true.

"It's just a shame that our most knowledgeable fan is perhaps our most widely disliked."

Funny how many people come up to me at games and events and tell me they love what I
write, and I'm their favorite here. Don Kaull telling be he felt I was the closest to seeing
the big picture, going back to my radio days, which Don referred to as "The voice in the
wilderness."
So, taking the vitriol into account, do I really need to have people hidning behind a keyboard take
shots at me? Nope!
I will continue to voice my opinions and concerns on Facebook, Twitter, A-10 Message board,
and real friends at games and events. My profile here will be deleted.
I've enjoyed my time on KeaneyBlue. It has been addictive at times. I wish we had better results. That's life.
GO RHODY!

Rodfromcranston, Ram for Life
0 x
< Arthur is my spirit animal.
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Re: My Mother Always Used To Say.....

Unread post by Billyboy78 »

You're going to let one or two people drive you away?
0 x
rodfromcranston
Frank Keaney

If the moderator feels as he obviously does, I take it he
hears people telling him their distaste for coming on his board, because of me.
So, now, he can have droves of people join, if I'm gone.
0 x
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Who cares? I get the feeling that people are starting to not like me here. But do I care? No.
0 x
rodfromcranston
Frank Keaney

Well, I have plenty to do, contrary to what some may think.
I'm teacher, cook, chauffer, and laundryman to my two granddaughters, who
have dance lessons,basketball and gymnastics and school to drive them to.
I'm painting my kitchen, and have some bigger projects come spring.
I honestly have spent too much time here. It has become almost addictive.
There are more important things in life.
Basketball and sports are my escape from reality.
When part of that become sour, what's the point in futhering it?
0 x
bressler3south
Carlton Owens

Unread post by bressler3south »

:roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll:
Keaney Blue without RodfromCranston is like a day without sunshine…………..
Not everyone is the King of the Castle.
8-) 8-) 8-) 8-) 8-) 8-) 8-) 8-) 8-) 8-) 8-) 8-) 8-) 8-) 8-) 8-) 8-) 8-) 8-) 8-) 8-) 8-) 8-)
Yes, it's time for a Bressler Production!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_8BrYoDq8qM
0 x
Blue Man
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Blue Man »

Rod:

No.

No.

No.

you leaving this board would be like a 20 year employee walking out the door and not having a back fill.

Obviously we disagree from time to time but your first hand knowledge of this program and basketball in general is what makes this board a home for me.

I like to think of this board as a family. A very twisted, outlandish, ridiculous family.

Actually your back and forth diatribes with every one from time to time makes it feel like a thanksgiving dinner.

I know im not alone when I say that you would be missed by a.majority of the board.

even the ones who say they wouldn't miss you would.
0 x
If you say you’re a Rhody fan, I know you are my brother. For you have suffered as I have suffered.

Give to the Athletic Director's Fund

Give to Rhody's NIL
RAM67
Art Stephenson

Unread post by RAM67 »

Rod. Please give this a second thought, as many on this board enjoy reading your posts. Not everyone is going to be pleased with all posts and all posters, but we are all individuals with our own ideas and opinions, and sometimes they clash. So what! It's a message board, where most of us are lifelong Ram fans with a common interest. But it's only a message board, not having anything to do with real life. Strictly fantasy, and an escape from the day to day routine. Stick around. The banter back and forth is a lot of fun, if you don't take it seriously.
0 x
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by rambone 78 »

Rod, don't do it.

I know we disagree at times, don't we all!

This board is nutso at times, but I look forward to reading and posting here as much as possible.

I know some people on here don't like me either, but does that keep me away? No!

I also look forward to your posts. Sometimes they're funny. Sometimes they're infuriating. Your knowledge of URI hoops is encyclopedic.

But, they're NEVER boring!!!!
0 x
adam914
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by adam914 »

Blue Man wrote:Rod:

No.

No.

No.

you leaving this board would be like a 20 year employee walking out the door and not having a back fill.

Obviously we disagree from time to time but your first hand knowledge of this program and basketball in general is what makes this board a home for me.

I like to think of this board as a family. A very twisted, outlandish, ridiculous family.

Actually your back and forth diatribes with every one from time to time makes it feel like a thanksgiving dinner.

I know im not alone when I say that you would be missed by a.majority of the board.

even the ones who say they wouldn't miss you would.
Yes! Totally agree with Blue Man on this! Love the Thanksgiving dinner comparison.
0 x
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

Rod, if you leave, when we finally start winning it will seem like something's missing here.

You need to see this through, just like I will.

Kicking and screaming all the way!

:P
0 x
Seawrightspostgame
Sly Williams

Unread post by Seawrightspostgame »

I think this is a Rope-a-Dope move
0 x
I want to change my name to BlockIslandFerry
Sweep The Leg
Tom Garrick

Unread post by Sweep The Leg »

CM Punk, now Rod?
0 x
'No Mercy.'
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

Unread post by TruePoint »

Rod I think you know that everyone here respects your knowledge, and most people here like you personally. I have the same issue as you do a lot of times here: when you're opinionated, some people are going to take exception to some of the things you say. Unfortunately, sometimes beefs here escalate to a point where they get personal, which is dumb and wouldn't happen if we all had to see each other in person.

I did jump in and ask that people stick to debating basketball-related things and leave the ad hominem attacks out of it. But you guys expect us to jump in and toss people out like we are bouncers, and we don't really want to police the site. First, we don't have time to read every post so if you think something egregious has happened you have to notify us. But second, we want to have a site where people are more or less free to speak their mind. That means to some degree you guys have to police yourselves. I've deleted maybe a handful of posts in the history of the site, and I've been bitched at for "sensoring." That isn't my idea of a good time. Do you guys really want to be on a site where we walk around swinging the ban hammer, deciding who and what is allowed to be on here?
0 x
"If you build it, they will come." --Us, circa 2011
RoadyJay
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by RoadyJay »

rodfromcranston.jpg
0 x
bigappleram
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by bigappleram »

I think true fans of the program should figure out a way to always see the big picture or common thread in the end, we are all fans of uri basketball. Even through personal attacks and I think most do. Rod is a true fan of the program . The trolls or rival fans who are merely here to provoke can all be banned immediately in my mind. They are the true nuisance, not any one person with a strong opinion (regardless how you feel about said opinion).
0 x
RoadyJay
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by RoadyJay »

3D-printed-ban-hammer.jpg
Here is the "Ban Hammer"
0 x
Ben
Abdul Fox

Unread post by Ben »

Rod...

I understand. This place can wear you out. It's one of the many reason why I only even bother to LOOK at this board once a week or so. ...Let alone post here. My advice (not that it's worth jack) is to not delete your account. Just back away and check in when you really feel like it.

I, for one, have always appreciated your contributions. And, I feel like my opinions have aligned with yours far more often than not. And, the fact that I am mostly disliked does not mean that that's any incrimination of you. I'm just trying to express my support and appreciation.
0 x
hrstrat57
Sly Williams

Unread post by hrstrat57 »

Really Rod just take a little time out. It's all good, we all just want our club to do better.

No reason at all for you to walk away.
0 x
We're gonna run the picket fence at "em.....now boys don't get caught watchin' the paint dry!
ElmCityRhody
Sly Williams

Unread post by ElmCityRhody »

I really don't have much info to add to this board, but I do come here frequently to read insights, opinions.. And to get info on our team. I THOROUGHLY enjoy reading posts from rod.. He is a tremendous fan that is full of passion. I am forever in rod's corner and this board will not be the same without him. If you want to post less, that is obviously your right. But I beg that you continue to post your insights as much as possible. Lets take this journey to the top 25.. We will get there and I want to continue reading your posts on our way up to the top.
0 x
neil
Art Stephenson

Unread post by neil »

From one old timer to another, please stay. I left a couple of times because of gandy nonsense. Wasn't worth it. You are the heart and soul of ram basketball. Don't let anyone tell you otherwise.
0 x
rhodyfan3
ARD

Unread post by rhodyfan3 »

Don't leave Rod. I thoroughly enjoy reading your posts. You're honest and make some of the best points on here. The site wouldn't be the same.
0 x
ram12
Abdul Fox

Unread post by ram12 »

I'm new to posting to the site, but have been reading for a while. Rod, you are one of a few people I really trust their info from. Your insight to the program is second to none and is something I thoroughly enjoy reading everyday. The point of this whole website is to share ideas, insights, opinions. Not everyone is going to agree with each other an no singular person is right or wrong. Don't let a couple of people bitching about your thoughts bother you. As you can see, far more people are in support of you than not. I for one believe this sight will lose a lot of interest without you here posting.
0 x
Shinze88
Art Stephenson

Unread post by Shinze88 »

Please - nobody leaves this board, its like the mafia.. no chance any long time poster wont be on Keaney Blue, especially if/when Hurley turns this program around. Keaney Blue is like an addiction, you'd need years of therapy to get out.
0 x
RIFan
Carlton Owens

Unread post by RIFan »

I personally look forward to your posts and I hope you continue as you always have...don't let a few bad apples spoil it...
0 x
ramfan85
Carlton Owens

Unread post by ramfan85 »

Interest in the URI program probably started (as we now know it) in the 70's. College basketball was pretty big around here. You could tune in to radio stations in Mass., Ct. and RI and a lot of the discussions were about college BB. Eddie Andelman (spelling?) talked about it nightly. He would refer to us as "Sly and the family Ram."
The RI station was littered with callers from start to finish about local BB. Most of them were PC calls. The hosts always favored PC and made it difficult sometimes for our fans to get on. Rod always did. He literally was "the voice in the wilderness" for URI. That's where his reputation as a superfan began.
He also was a regular contributor to the projo columns. I think was called "Voice of the Fans", or some other stupid name.
He was arguing for URI on a regular basis. His love for this program has never waivered.
Every time I put on this board I look first to see what Rod has to say. I bet others do, too. No one knows more about the school's BB history. And, I can assure you that whenever someone asks a question here about the past, Rod has always been the first to respond-without looking up the answer!
I'm pleased to say that I've known Rod and his family for many years. I've ruffled his feathers a few times with different opinions. And, yes, he can get tough at times. But, for anyone who doesn't know him personally, he has a heart of gold. He's always been a straight shooter (even when we may not want him to be) and he'll always be the first to help someone in need.
My definition of a true friend is someone you can call in the middle of the night for help and always get it. Rod's that kind of person.

Rod,
I know you're too tough to give in to negative responses on a message board.
0 x
Running Ram
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Running Ram »

Okay Rod, if you just want folks to come on here and prop you up for you to want to stay, then that is what you will get from most.

I have no idea what was in your PM from whomever, so how can I or anyone defend you? You pulling a Powell on us? gonna pack it in because there is some adversity?

Fuck these losers that want to run you off!! Remember when we didn't like each other much? or each other's opinions anyway, there was never a thought of 'running you off' the board, that's no fun at all. I like when I agree with you and I like when I disagree with you. I like that you have been fearless to this point. DO NOT WAIVER!!!

You are my Sicilian kin. You may not go out like this, its not the Sicilian way. Never mind rethinking, you don't have a choice, you must stay and post and take out the trash!!!

You want to hear that people appreciate you, count me in, but pull this delete crap and you're dead to me!

The bell is about to ring Champ, and nobody in your corner is ready to throw in the towel. Get back out there!

Also, there have been plenty of times I would have jumped in to defend, but saw you still out here kicking ass, bringing the thunder! Seriously, like sly trying to act like he knows sooo many folks that are intimidated to post because of you. THAT'S STRAIGHT UP BULL SHIT!!! it reads like fictitious narrative, as if all (3 haha) of his friends said the exact same thing to him. I read that and thought "what a clown."

Mods here do a great job, but if one did state that you are "disliked" then it must be taken with a grain of salt, it was probably a non-Sicilian trying to dole out the 'tough love' and it didn't land right. One mod in particular is extremely intelligent, not that the three aren't smart, but if I got this right, the comment came from the mod with the big intellect, who is usually much more nuanced than that statement, his track record speaks to his personality and should get him some grace when contemplating a comment which otherwise would be slightly off character. I highly doubt someone who has proven himself to be so smart and steady actually believes you are disliked and doesn't see the layers of the keaneyblue family onion and understand that you are revered. And as I am now referring to part of a PM of which I have no idea the context, I'll leave it at that.

We've all annoyed each other from time to time, that's family, still, anyone who has been paying attention and has half a braincell knows you are steadfast true blue. If you delete, not only will keaneyblue lose a member of the family, but I will miss your posts like I would miss a friend.

You are the king of keaneyblue, and some jockstreaks will be jealous, screw em!
Last edited by Running Ram 10 years ago, edited 2 times in total.
0 x
Go Rhody!!!
Birthplace of 'Fastbreak Basketball'
Running Ram
Carlton Owens

Also, Ben I don't think you're mostly disliked. I don't think there are many posters who are mostly disliked. At tops there are three or four trolls that frequent and most of us know who they are, aside from them I'd say we are a family and our appreciation for each other will ebb and flow, as is the case within any family.
0 x
Go Rhody!!!
Running Ram
Carlton Owens

neil wrote:You are the heart and soul of ram basketball. Don't let anyone tell you otherwise.
and as a final thought on the matter, what he said ^
0 x
Go Rhody!!!
jmck
Lamar Odom

Unread post by jmck »

I look forward to Rod's post. As far as I am concerned, Rod is the MVP (Most Valuable Poster) of this board. I enjoy reading all others, but Rod is the best. MVP, MVP, MVP.
0 x
section(105)
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by section(105) »

The self censorship extends to the read/not red of posts and posters....for me, a multi times per day user during the season only, will greatly miss any poster that pulls up stakes....in this manner. Let me add, I view this board like a newspaper, like there are columnists I just don't read......
0 x
Ram logo via Grist 1938
ATPTourFan
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ATPTourFan »

As Rod and I have discussed, his profile here will NEVER be deleted as he is a Ram fan for life and one of the team's greatest proponents.

While there may be a number of people who have difficulty with Rod's bed-side manner on the Internet, this thread is just one example of the greater number of fans who appreciate and understand Rod's deep passion for the topic of Rhode Island Basketball, including myself. Rod is always a gentleman in person and his occasional online abrasiveness shouldn't be taken so seriously and allowed to define his true character.

Rod is both welcome and expected to return back to KeaneyBlue. I, for one, look forward to it.
0 x
Support Coach Miller & Rhody Basketball! Give to the Athletic Director's Fund
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

Good news indeed, ATP.
0 x
Keaney.Blue
Lamar Odom

Unread post by Keaney.Blue »

Rod I think you're a great contributor and a passionate fan and I hope you'll stay and contribute to discussions. But what bothers people is your standoffish attitude and Kingly mentality. Nobody needs to hear how Don Kaul praised you during a radio show or Preston comes up to you at events. I, along with many others here have been very close to the program and count its members as friends, but harping on it rubs some people the wrong way. Also, you tend to attack people who vocally disagree with you. This doesn't foster meaningful discussion on the board.

I'm not attacking you - I think you're a very knowledgeable insider and a great fan, just a tip or two.
0 x
URI_IEP
Lamar Odom

Unread post by URI_IEP »

I seem to recall this happening before. Didn't last too long if I remember correctly. I make the over/under 2 weeks.
0 x
Gonebarongone
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by Gonebarongone »

This is really unbelievable. Can an adult beg for attention any more? All we get it how great he is. How many people he knows. Who says hi to him. Who gives him hugs. Now, it's the woe is me routine, which is a transparent desire to have his merry band of sycophants beg him to come back. Which he will, of course.

I don't want anyone to leave. The board needs back and forth but this is some Twilight Zone stuff going on right now.
0 x
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

GBG...Why stir up shit? Oh, because that's what you do best. Yes, he will be back, and he will be welcome. It's people like you who drive his blood pressure up. If we're picking who we want here, between the two of you, it wouldn't be close. Should we start a poll?
0 x
ATPTourFan
Frank Keaney

GBG, let's see if you can take the high road on this.
0 x
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

ATPTourFan wrote:GBG, let's see if you can take the high road on this.
I think that his last post has already shown that he can't.
0 x
Gonebarongone
Cuttino Mobley

I said I didn't want anyone to leave, even Rod. If you guys don't see that he was just begging for this type of reaction from everyone telling him how awesome he is, I don't know what to tell you. No grown man should beg for attention like that. It's practically in every post he makes. Sorry to be the bearer of this news flash.
0 x
Running Ram
Carlton Owens

You still haven't answered me, GBG, what is your affiliation with the team? State? School? anything to tie you to the program? just one shred of info that says you're a fan not a troll...
0 x
Go Rhody!!!
Gonebarongone
Cuttino Mobley

You want me to post my birth certificate from South County hospital?
0 x
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

I might not always agree with GBG's basketball takes, but those are welcome. If we want to keep the discussion to basketball, we should stop prodding and poking on a personal level. There isn't a litmus test for posters. Everyone is welcome here as long as they are civil, so let's focus on being civil and not on getting into pissing matches. That goes both ways. GBG should take the high road, and so should everyone else.
0 x
ATPTourFan
Frank Keaney

Gonebarongone wrote:I said I didn't want anyone to leave, even Rod. If you guys don't see that he was just begging for this type of reaction from everyone telling him how awesome he is, I don't know what to tell you. No grown man should beg for attention like that. It's practically in every post he makes. Sorry to be the bearer of this news flash.
And even if he was, who cares? Avoid the thread. Sometimes friends help other friends when they're down. None of us are perfect. We have feelings and flaws.

Bottom line is, even with Rod's flaws and detractors, he is still highly valued in this community and most of us would prefer he stick around. He's earned that sentiment even from those who find him irritating. He is still appreciated.

You, coming here and acting like you're the only person who knows what's going on, continue to build your own reputation. Believe it or not, GBG, we're not all idiots who need your guidance and insight.
0 x
adam914
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by adam914 »

ATPTourFan wrote:
Gonebarongone wrote:I said I didn't want anyone to leave, even Rod. If you guys don't see that he was just begging for this type of reaction from everyone telling him how awesome he is, I don't know what to tell you. No grown man should beg for attention like that. It's practically in every post he makes. Sorry to be the bearer of this news flash.
And even if he was, who cares? Avoid the thread. Sometimes friends help other friends when they're down. None of us are perfect. We have feelings and flaws.

Bottom line is, even with Rod's flaws and detractors, he is still highly valued in this community and most of us would prefer he stick around. He's earned that sentiment even from those who find him irritating. He is still appreciated.

You, coming here and acting like you're the only person who knows what's going on, continue to build your own reputation. Believe it or not, GBG, we're not all idiots who need your guidance and insight.
ATP bringin the truth this morning. I feel like he just dropped the mic and walked off stage, Chris Rock style.
0 x
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

ATPTourFan wrote: You, coming here and acting like you're the only person who knows what's going on, continue to build your own reputation. Believe it or not, GBG, we're not all idiots who need your guidance and insight.
Kind of Ben-ish in this regard. That was always my issue with Ben, and he would make it seem like he was unpopular because he was the only one "speaking the truth!!" but it was really just that I didn't like the condescending tone of his posts. As BAR has correctly pointed out recently, just because you haven't lit your own hair on fire doesn't mean you are satisfied with what you are seeing on the court.
0 x
bressler3south
Carlton Owens

Unread post by bressler3south »

ATPTourFan wrote:GBG, let's see if you can take the high road on this.
8-) 8-) 8-) 8-) 8-) 8-) 8-) 8-) 8-) 8-) 8-) 8-) 8-) 8-) 8-) 8-) 8-) 8-) 8-) 8-) 8-) 8-) 8-) 8-)
A Bressler Production!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gASY7Lj5GPQ
0 x
Smokinjimit
ARD

Unread post by Smokinjimit »

I would say gbr is a knowledgable troll. I doubt he is a URI fan. I have no doubts about Where Rods heart is.
0 x
Gonebarongone
Cuttino Mobley

Smokinjimit wrote:I would say gbr is a knowledgable troll. I doubt he is a URI fan. I have no doubts about Where Rods heart is.
Knowledgeable troll, eh? Moving up, I guess.
0 x
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

Unread post by RhowdyRam02 »

Smokinjimit wrote:I would say gbr is a knowledgable troll. I doubt he is a URI fan. I have no doubts about Where Rods heart is.
Name dropping obscure stats doesn't make you knowledgable, especially when you don't know how to apply them. Take the Munford debate. He was pointing out how Munford's poor shooting percentage was stopping EC from growing and that EC was developing bad habits. Do any of you see how stunted EC has been lately? Exactly. GBG is just a plain troll. A total fraud.
0 x
Take down the Robert Carothers banner and fix the concession stand lines