'14 JUCO SG - Roderick Lawrence (Ole Miss)

Talk about future recruits and scouting efforts in this forum.
Forum rules
If you start a recruit thread and don't set up a profile, make a blank post first so a profile can be added later.

Place whatever you were going to post in the second post.
BFC
Cuttino Mobley

'14 JUCO SG - Roderick Lawrence (Ole Miss)

Unread post by BFC »

Roderick Lawrence - SG
School: South Plains College
Travel/AAU:

Ht: 6'5"
Wt: 180

RANKINGS:
Rivals: NR
ESPN: 2 Stars, 85 Grade, #92 SG in 2012

OFFERS:
Rhode Island
Bradley
Cal Poly
Creighton
Georege Mason
Morehead State
Ole Miss*
Pepperdine
UTEP
Western Kentucky

INTEREST:
Nevada

*Verbally Committed 4/14/14
Rod Lawrence, a 6-4 sophomore guard out of Orlando, is having a very good season for the Texans. He is averaging 13.5 points and 5.6 rebounds per game. Lawrence has the ability to mix it up offensively and rebounds the ball very well from the perimeter. He has offers from Rhode Island, UTEP, Pepperdine, Bradley and Cal Poly as well as interest from Creighton.
http://www.jucorecruiting.com/south-plains-back-top/

http://sports.yahoo.com/ncaa/basketball ... R2dGlkAw--
http://espn.go.com/college-sports/baske ... k-lawrence
http://verbalcommits.com/players/roderick-lawrence
Last edited by BFC 10 years ago, edited 5 times in total.
0 x
rodfromcranston
Frank Keaney

Re: '14 JUCO SG - Roderick Lawrence (Offer)

Unread post by rodfromcranston »

Maybe he was friends with Jonathan Holton?
0 x
< Arthur is my spirit animal.
rodfromcranston
Frank Keaney

Not very impressive shooting/3pt/ft percentages.
0 x
Iggy1979
Sly Williams

Unread post by Iggy1979 »

Verbal commits has URI involved with 4 juco SGs. I expect URI will get one of them
0 x
"Every season, college basketball has one or two teams that rise from dormancy to relevancy, squads that make long-awaited charges at the NCAA Tournament and become really fun storylines along the way."
ace
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by ace »

Iggy1979 wrote:Verbal commits has URI involved with 4 juco SGs. I expect URI will get one of them
Which will be fine, I believe. It's a small sample size (Munford and Williams), but Hurley has done well with the JUCO players he's brought in.
0 x
Seawrightspostgame
Sly Williams

Unread post by Seawrightspostgame »

I hope we get a guy like Henderson for ole miss. Not the antics, but if the on court antics come with the talent I don't mind. No off court problems though.
0 x
I want to change my name to BlockIslandFerry
Gonebarongone
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by Gonebarongone »

ace wrote:
Iggy1979 wrote:Verbal commits has URI involved with 4 juco SGs. I expect URI will get one of them
Which will be fine, I believe. It's a small sample size (Munford and Williams), but Hurley has done well with the JUCO players he's brought in.
JUCOs and transfers should be the final piece of the puzzle not a cornerstone of how you build a lasting program. X is the type of guy that would be perfect in a year or two, when there are 10 four year scholarship players who have been through the re-build and you need a scorer like X or an athletic guy like Watson. This program will never reach it's ceiling cobbling together a roster like this. Get 3-4 good four year players for three successive cycles and go from there.
0 x
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by rambone 78 »

GBG, that's the ideal scenario I agree, but what's the reality?

I think Dan is going to sign 2 freshmen-to-be, and either a transfer or juco, most likely a SG, to fill the 3rd open spot.

Or, if there is still a question about whether we will have 2 or 3 openings, one frosh and one part timer would seem likely.

That frosh needs to be a PG, no question.
0 x
rodfromcranston
Frank Keaney

I'd rather see a post grad player, instead of tying up a
scholarship with a juco.
Please, no more transfers for a while.
0 x
Iggy1979
Sly Williams

The problem, Rod, is it's hard to figure out now who will be available as a post-grad player. So if they pass on a juco SG and then don't get a post-grad player, they're screwed.
GBG: Transfers and jucos are part of the new world order. Get on board or get left behind.
Next years's starting lineup will be Gil, Martin, Mathews and two from these three: TJ, Biggie and JR.
They want to have a shooter they can bring off the bench in addition to Butler.
Then they bring a freshman SG in in 15.
0 x
"Every season, college basketball has one or two teams that rise from dormancy to relevancy, squads that make long-awaited charges at the NCAA Tournament and become really fun storylines along the way."
Gonebarongone
Cuttino Mobley

Iggy1979 wrote:The problem, Rod, is it's hard to figure out now who will be available as a post-grad player. So if they pass on a juco SG and then don't get a post-grad player, they're screwed.
GBG: Transfers and jucos are part of the new world order. Get on board or get left behind.
Next years's starting lineup will be Gil, Martin, Mathews and two from these three: TJ, Biggie and JR.
Let me see your list of good teams with three transfers and one juco in it's rotation as well as it's only 2014 signing being a JUCO?

I'll wait right here.

Transfers are a huge part of college hoops. But, most are overhyped (as we have seen). And, JUCOs as part of the new world order? No.

If you think patching together squad after squad with transfers and JUCOs is going to work, well, we disagree.
0 x
Iggy1979
Sly Williams

Two years after Hurley took over he has one player left from the Baron Era. He's still patching together a roster that was blown up. It won't be "squad after squad."
If Hare had stayed he wouldn't have recruited Watson.
Now, Hurley's made the determination that he has a much better chance of getting a quality freshman SG in 15 than 14. So then the question is: should he just wait until then or does he need another SG in the meantime?
0 x
rodfromcranston
Frank Keaney

Disagree totally with the starting lineup. EC, Hassand and Gil, of course.
However, if Reischel is one of our five best, we're doomed.
IF TJ or Biggie are our PGs, same deal.
We NEED a PG in this recruiting cycle, and a forward who can score.
A real center would help, but they're harder to find.
Looks like the SG will be from 2015 class/
0 x
Gonebarongone
Cuttino Mobley

Iggy1979 wrote:Two years after Hurley took over he has one player left from the Baron Era. He's still patching together a roster that was blown up. It won't be "squad after squad."
If Hare had stayed he wouldn't have recruited Watson.
Now, Hurley's made the determination that he has a much better chance of getting a quality freshman SG in 15 than 14. So then the question is: should he just wait until then or does he need another SG in the meantime?
Well, what is it? New world order or one off situation as a result of the Baron era? Obviously, one is easier to swallow than they other. No doubt he needed to fill up the roster fast. X, gil, etc. But, it's at least somewhat disconcerting to look at the 2014 class as well as his comments about transfers. If we had a 2014 similar to 2013, I don't think anyone would have an issue with it.
0 x
BFC
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by BFC »

Gonebarongone wrote:
Iggy1979 wrote:The problem, Rod, is it's hard to figure out now who will be available as a post-grad player. So if they pass on a juco SG and then don't get a post-grad player, they're screwed.
Let me see your list of good teams with three transfers and one juco in it's rotation as well as it's only 2014 signing being a JUCO?

I'll wait right here.

Transfers are a huge part of college hoops. But, most are overhyped (as we have seen). And, JUCOs as part of the new world order? No.

If you think patching together squad after squad with transfers and JUCOs is going to work, well, we disagree.
Can't believe I'm bothering to respond but Wichita State, the undefeated #4 team in the country, has two JUCO's in their starting lineup and also two of their first three players off the bench are JUCO's, the other one is a transfer.
They're part of the equation for most non-elite programs, and unfortunately, due to the disaster of a roster that was inherited, they've had to be a larger part of the equation here. There's only been one complete recruiting cycle since Hurley got hired, one. Exactly the same number as number of inherited players on the current team, one.
0 x
Seawrightspostgame
Sly Williams

Unread post by Seawrightspostgame »

with what is it 400 transfers a year, I think it would be difficult to name a roster without a transfer that has left or that has come. The people against jucos here are confusing to me.

X is our best player and has been. He is a Juco. The REALITY is if we cant get the X's out of high school or the long shot EC, then you take them as jucos. I think a Juco is a more sure bet than an outright transfer.

I think Juco implies some sense of overcoming adversity, while a transfer to me seems to be running away from it.
0 x
I want to change my name to BlockIslandFerry
rhodylaw
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by rhodylaw »

I love JUCOs - two years in the system so you should get a great senior season. Most tend to be close to ready to play on day 1 because they are actually juniors not 18 year old frosh.

Sure you need 4 year players as well but don't overlook talent just because it doesn't come to you at age 18. Players go to JUCO for a lot reasons, some due to grades others because their games have not developed enough in high school to get a good offer. No problem for me bringing these talented players in for the best two years they have to offer
0 x
adam914
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by adam914 »

Bottom line: If you can play, and you can help the team, go for it. Who cares where they come from.
0 x
ace
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by ace »

Gonebarongone wrote:
ace wrote:
JUCOs and transfers should be the final piece of the puzzle not a cornerstone of how you build a lasting program. X is the type of guy that would be perfect in a year or two, when there are 10 four year scholarship players who have been through the re-build and you need a scorer like X or an athletic guy like Watson. This program will never reach it's ceiling cobbling together a roster like this. Get 3-4 good four year players for three successive cycles and go from there.
Ok, agreed that it might not be ideal. but my point was that he's 2 for 2 with Williams at Wagner and Munford at Rhode Island. Mixing in a transfer or a JUCO from time to time is getting to be the new norm. Working in 7 new players rarely is, thankfully, because that is not pretty.
0 x
ATPTourFan
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ATPTourFan »

Thank you, BFC, Iggy, Ace, and SeawrightsPostGame, for saving me time responding to GBG.

In my mind, each year, if Dan and staff are not at least considering ALL of their options (4-year freshman, JUCO, transfer, Grad-Transfer), then they aren't doing their job.
0 x
Support Coach Miller & Rhody Basketball! Give to the Athletic Director's Fund
Ramulous
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Ramulous »

Would he be RodfromLawrence?
0 x
F*ck Alacki, DarthFriar, DirtyBeanFriar94, xCoachK, Boxworth, Friar Faithful, bicycleicycle, Matt_Keough, Patrick Norton, the Rosato brothers, and especially Benjamin Lord !
rodfromcranston
Frank Keaney

No, he'd be RodfromOrlando.
Too bad his name isn't Tony.
0 x
ATPTourFan
Frank Keaney

BTW, Coach Hurley was kind enough to answer my question on his Radio Show tonight (final 3 minutes of the show).

Click here to access tonight's Dan Hurley Radio Show on-demand. Fast forward to the last few minutes to hear Dan's response.
http://www.920whjj.com/media/podcast-ur ... asketball/
0 x
Gonebarongone
Cuttino Mobley

ATPTourFan wrote:Thank you, BFC, Iggy, Ace, and SeawrightsPostGame, for saving me time responding to GBG.

In my mind, each year, if Dan and staff are not at least considering ALL of their options (4-year freshman, JUCO, transfer, Grad-Transfer), then they aren't doing their job.
This is a classic straw man argument.
0 x
ace
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by ace »

Or, you know, we could all actually wait and see what the '14 class ends up looking like before getting all worked up.
0 x
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

Whatever.

We need a PG , first and foremost. Someone who can step in when TJ graduates. Simple as that.
0 x
rodfromcranston
Frank Keaney

Someone who can step in next season.
TJ isn't a point guard.
0 x
adam914
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by adam914 »

I think its going to be asking an awful lot to think a freshman can come in and take over as our PG right away.
0 x
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

Unread post by TruePoint »

Gonebarongone wrote:
ATPTourFan wrote:Thank you, BFC, Iggy, Ace, and SeawrightsPostGame, for saving me time responding to GBG.

Nope
0 x
"If you build it, they will come." --Us, circa 2011
Gonebarongone
Cuttino Mobley

TruePoint wrote:
Gonebarongone wrote:

Nope
I guess you aren't very familiar with the term? A straw man argument is when you divert the argument away from the original point to something that, on the surface, seems related but isn't. Of course the staff is obligated to look under every rock and use every avenue to improve the team. My point is that I don't think the way he is going about it is the best way. Wichita State is the exception. We all know this. How many four year players did we offer in 2014? Rod was counting. Was it 35 who said no? It seems the JUCO and transfer route is the fallback to not getting anyone.
0 x
BFC
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by BFC »

Gonebarongone wrote:I guess you aren't very familiar with the term? A straw man argument is when you divert the argument away from the original point to something that, on the surface, seems related but isn't. Of course the staff is obligated to look under every rock and use every avenue to improve the team. My point is that I don't think the way he is going about it is the best way. Wichita State is the exception. We all know this. How many four year players did we offer in 2014? Rod was counting. Was it 35 who said no? It seems the JUCO and transfer route is the fallback to not getting anyone.
So they're choosing to focus on JUCO's and transfers and they're using it as a fallback. I'm just too stupid to understand how it can be both so there's probably no reason for you to continue on the recruiting board, it's been at least a day and a half since someone (you) posted about X's shot attempts on the main board.
0 x
rjsuperfly66
Carlton Owens

Unread post by rjsuperfly66 »

Here is another one for you ... Southern Miss in 11-12 under Larry Eustachy.

5 JUCOS, 3 D1 transfers. Made NCAA Tournament as a #9 seed.

How did they reload in 12-13 (with a new coach)?

I count 5 JUCOS and 4 D1 transfers, some of whom were carryovers.

They made the NIT quarterfinals.

So this year the roster consists of 6 JUCOS (quick count) and 3 D1 transfers.

The top 5 players: JUCO, D1 Transfer, JUCO, JUCO, JUCO.

Right now they are penciled into the tournament.

I think it takes a little bit of luck, but it can be done. The only problem is that you need them to come in and be instant impact, just no room to adjust when you need them to step right in.
0 x
Gonebarongone
Cuttino Mobley

BFC wrote:
Gonebarongone wrote:I guess you aren't very familiar with the term? A straw man argument is when you divert the argument away from the original point to something that, on the surface, seems related but isn't. Of course the staff is obligated to look under every rock and use every avenue to improve the team. My point is that I don't think the way he is going about it is the best way. Wichita State is the exception. We all know this. How many four year players did we offer in 2014? Rod was counting. Was it 35 who said no? It seems the JUCO and transfer route is the fallback to not getting anyone.
So they're choosing to focus on JUCO's and transfers and they're using it as a fallback. I'm just too stupid to understand how it can be both so there's probably no reason for you to continue on the recruiting board, it's been at least a day and a half since someone (you) posted about X's shot attempts on the main board.
I'm not the one saying they have or have not focused on JUCOs. Only that it isn't a very successful way to build a team. There are 350+ D1 teams. Over, say, the last ten years that's 3,500 rosters. Even if 1% of them had success doing it a certain way, you will find 35 teams to point out. Sure there are teams like Southern Miss and Wich State. Those are the exceptions. I don't know if DH is using it as a fallback or if it's his MO. I am debating whether it is likely to work out. And, it's not. The hype around him was mainly about his energy and recruiting. Go recruit. A 2014 with a lone JUCO (for now) is a fail.
0 x
Gonebarongone
Cuttino Mobley

Also, I have given up talking about X's shot attempts. You all see them. You think him taking 18 shots per game is the way to roll. We'll never agree.
0 x
BFC
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by BFC »

Gonebarongone wrote:
BFC wrote:
I'm not the one saying they have or have not focused on JUCOs. Only that it isn't a very successful way to build a team. There are 350+ D1 teams. Over, say, the last ten years that's 3,500 rosters. Even if 1% of them had success doing it a certain way, you will find 35 teams to point out. Sure there are teams like Southern Miss and Wich State. Those are the exceptions. I don't know if DH is using it as a fallback or if it's his MO. I am debating whether it is likely to work out. And, it's not. The hype around him was mainly about his energy and recruiting. Go recruit. A 2014 with a lone JUCO (for now) is a fail.
Bringing in juco's and transfers as a cornerstone to building a lasting program and bringing them in to fill an empty roster at the beginning of a rebuild are two different things no matter how you twist it. Marquette had five jucos on their Sweet 16 team a few years ago, probably because Buzz Williams is lazy and didn't feel like recruiting. Anyway, they haven't been relying on jucos as much lately because they've had high level success and can now get more high level prep recruits. You see, much like your argument positions, things can evolve. Criticizing a coach after a few recruiting cycles of relying too much on jucos and transfers would be valid, criticizing a coach who hasn't even completed his second recruiting cycle and who took over a program with no players for relying too much on jucos and transfers is a petty excuse to criticize.
0 x
rodfromcranston
Frank Keaney

Um Larry Eustachy coaches for Colorado State.
0 x
rjsuperfly66
Carlton Owens

Unread post by rjsuperfly66 »

Eustachy was at USM in 11-12 and started the pattern of trying to get JUCOs and transfers because he realized he wasn't competing consistently going after just 4 year guys.

Once he made that run in 11-12, he left for Colorado St. that spring. His first 5 years at USM he was basically a .500 coach. If you look at the roster in 08-09, it was all 4 year players and an international transfer from Brazil. Compare that to the roster the next year (they made the CIT) - he brought in 3 D1 transfers and 3 JUCO's (in addition to the international college player), and the trend continued from there. He went from 15 wins in 08-09 to 20, 22, and then 25 in 11-12 when they made the tournament with 8 transfers/JUCOS. Last year was their "rebuild" with a quarterfinals NIT appearance (under a new coach), and this year they are back hard on the bubble.
0 x
adam914
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by adam914 »

BFC wrote:Criticizing a coach after a few recruiting cycles of relying too much on jucos and transfers would be valid, criticizing a coach who hasn't even completed his second recruiting cycle and who took over a program with no players for relying too much on jucos and transfers is a petty excuse to criticize.
This, this, this, this. I understand GBG has an agenda to fulfill around here, so I won't attempt to change his mind. But you are dead on here BFC.
0 x
Gonebarongone
Cuttino Mobley

adam914 wrote:
BFC wrote:Criticizing a coach after a few recruiting cycles of relying too much on jucos and transfers would be valid, criticizing a coach who hasn't even completed his second recruiting cycle and who took over a program with no players for relying too much on jucos and transfers is a petty excuse to criticize.
This, this, this, this. I understand GBG has an agenda to fulfill around here, so I won't attempt to change his mind. But you are dead on here BFC.
The agenda is back!!!!!

He had the end to 2012.
He had a full 2013.

To give him a pass on 2014 because it isn't a second full recruiting cycle is literally mind boggling. Give me a break. You guys will look for any reason to give the guy a pass on every critical aspect of the program. Bobby has a better 2014 class in Buffalo. Think about that. DH is paid handsomely for results not excuses. But, it's only his second full recruiting cycle. He needs more time!

Now let me get back to my agenda of using an anonymous message board to accomplish sinister deeds.
0 x
adam914
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by adam914 »

Not claiming any sinister deeds. You're the only one who brings that up all the time. More of a strange fascination with trying to prove the guy sucks.

Whats mind boggling to me is that you are considering 2014 a failure before its even over. For a guy who is so big on numbers and stats, its strange to me that you are willing to make an assessment before all the info is even in.
0 x
Gonebarongone
Cuttino Mobley

adam914 wrote:Not claiming any sinister deeds. You're the only one who brings that up all the time. More of a strange fascination with trying to prove the guy sucks.

Whats mind boggling to me is that you are considering 2014 a failure before its even over. For a guy who is so big on numbers and stats, its strange to me that you are willing to make an assessment before all the info is even in.
I have said multiple times that he still has the spring signing period to add a player or two. I am assessing things as of 1/28. The class has one JUCO signee and dozens of players that they thought well enough of to offer but chose somewhere else.
0 x
Iggy1979
Sly Williams

Hurley went into this season thinking he'd be filling two scholarships and thus zeroed in on a few players that he really liked. Then Hare left. Then Powell left. Now it's at least a four-recruit class. Completely different situation. They quickly changed gears and went out and got Earl Watson, and began to recruit PGs.
I think a class of Watson, Garrett, Lawrence and Cimino would be solid.
0 x
ATPTourFan
Frank Keaney

Gonebarongone wrote:
adam914 wrote:Not claiming any sinister deeds. You're the only one who brings that up all the time. More of a strange fascination with trying to prove the guy sucks.

I have said multiple times that he still has the spring signing period to add a player or two. I am assessing things as of 1/28. The class has one JUCO signee and dozens of players that they thought well enough of to offer but chose somewhere else.
You can't assess this year's recruiting cycle as a "fail" before it is over. I know you're choosing to do a "as of today" argument, since that's more advantageous for you. The fact that you are referencing Dan's abbreviated off-season prior to his first season at URI to build your "fail" argument shows you are cherry picking. Add to that what everyone has tried to remind you in that he inherited a grossly incomplete roster which became even MORE incomplete after the late signing period (thanks, Billy), there have been constant disruptions which result in changes to the staff's strategy mid-season.
0 x
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

Unread post by RhowdyRam02 »

Gonebarongone wrote:Also, I have given up talking about X's shot attempts. You all see them. You think him taking 18 shots per game is the way to roll. We'll never agree.
You've given up not because we can't agree with you, but because you're wrong and I called you on it. All you kept saying was, for the offense to be more efficient EC should be taking more shots than X. When I pointed out that X has a better FG and FT%, therefore the offense is more efficient with him shooting as opposed to EC you changed your argument to, "well we need to start preparing for the future, and EC is developing bad habits".

Reason for edit: I made this excessively argumentative and I apologize.
Last edited by RhowdyRam02 10 years ago, edited 2 times in total.
0 x
Take down the Robert Carothers banner and fix the concession stand lines
Rhodymob05
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhodymob05 »

So any news Roderick?
0 x
GO RAMS
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

Who was it that said, if two of our starters come from Biggie, TJ, and JR next season, we are screwed?

Couldn't have said it better myself.

I don't have a problem with TJ. He's gotten better, and will be better still next season.

But he's not a true PG.

We have to get a PG in here for next season. Play behind TJ, until he's ready to take over.

I think Dan will bring in a juco or post grad for SG. Then a frosh in '15.

Without anyone to replace X next season, we are doubly screwed.

Our frontcourt will be better with Watson added, but it won't mean much without adding more talent at the guard positions.

If any of you think that I'm not confident in BM's and JR's abilities, ding! ding! ding! We have a winner!
0 x
rhodylaw
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by rhodylaw »

One of the two - BM or JR - will surprise us next year and be good. Mark it down. The other will be a bench player. I just don't know which one.

Hoping Butler blossoms in his sophomore season like Nik did. His shot is good enough to play in the A10.
0 x
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

If that happens, we need BM to be the one who improves.

Especially if we don't get another PG next season.

My optimism for next season would be much less if we don't.

If we do, then we might have a chance to be at least an NIT team.
0 x