General Recruiting Discussion/Comments 2022 and before

Talk about future recruits and scouting efforts in this forum.
Forum rules
If you start a recruit thread and don't set up a profile, make a blank post first so a profile can be added later.

Place whatever you were going to post in the second post.
Shaolin Swat
ARD

Re: General Recruiting Discussion/Comments

Unread post by Shaolin Swat »

Billyboy78 wrote:
Dre3000 wrote:I for one will be shocked if Bracey makes it on campus. Seems the staff has been and will continue to push for commits when they bring recruits in to Kingston. I expect no different with Dowtin. If they are bringing him on an official, they will take him if he commits. The question is will he be ready to make the call or is he leaning towards Wichita State?
You could be right. Even though Marfo was in our final 5, he never made it to campus on an official visit. I'm guessing we're no longer pursuing him.
Even if we were still pursuing him, I doubt that he'd be interested in us anymore.
0 x
URI_IEP
Lamar Odom

Unread post by URI_IEP »

As they say, "don't count your big men until they're consistent 12pt/10reb guys." The board seems a little too positive for September, so I thought I'd bring in some Rhody fan angst.

In all seriousness though, exciting pick-ups. It'll be fun to watch three 3/4 star big men develop together under ARD's tutelage.
0 x
RIFan
Carlton Owens

Unread post by RIFan »

I understand going after rapidly improving or undervalued big men, but I am a little surprised that the last 2 recruiting cycles have not included any 4 star or top 100 players (not including transfers), considering we have had success getting them in the past, and the program is in much better shape now. Every recruit we are on seems to be "under the radar" or "overlooked". Why at this point are we looking for diamonds in the rough? I trust in the staff, but I'm not sure I understand...I could understand if we never had success with those types of players...but we have, so why not continue?
0 x
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by Billyboy78 »

RIFan wrote:I understand going after rapidly improving or undervalued big men, but I am a little surprised that the last 2 recruiting cycles have not included any 4 star or top 100 players (not including transfers), considering we have had success getting them in the past, and the program is in much better shape now. Every recruit we are on seems to be "under the radar" or "overlooked". Why at this point are we looking for diamonds in the rough? I trust in the staff, but I'm not sure I understand...I could understand if we never had success with those types of players...but we have, so why not continue?
I think it's because the starting lineup is basically set for both this year and next. We will be starting 3 juniors and 2 sophomores this year, and unless EC jumps, there won't be any changes. I think the '17 class will be different. We will be replacing EC, Hassan and Iverson. There will be a much greater opportunity for a freshman to get good minutes right away and possibly even a starting position. That's what the top recruits want. If we have a great this year, make the tourney and win a game or even two, the recruiting options will change, possibly even a 5 star player?
0 x
RIFan
Carlton Owens

Unread post by RIFan »

I could understand that last year, but this years recruits will be freshman when the current stars a Jrs and Srs. Unless you are a stud, you need to be the supporting cast at most good programs for 1-2 seasons. If you are a stud...there is always playing time. If you want to be a consistent contender, then you recruiting needs to be consistent...
0 x
ramfan85
Carlton Owens

Unread post by ramfan85 »

Good points being made. Of course, it would have been better if at least one of these bigs was here this year. It's always a question with freshmen.
I think sometimes we get a little obsessed with the stars associated with these kids. I'm more concerned with how the player fits the system. The Patriots have been kinda successful focusing on this.
As Perry Como used to sing "Don't Let The Stars Get In Your Eyes."
0 x
theblueram
Frank Keaney

Unread post by theblueram »

I think sometimes position rank gets overlooked. Layssard is #34 nationally and Tertsea is #42 nationally for centers. The class of 16 had 5 5 stars and 13 4 stars at center. Seems like we didn't do too shabby with these big guys.
0 x
adam914
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by adam914 »

RIFan wrote:I understand going after rapidly improving or undervalued big men, but I am a little surprised that the last 2 recruiting cycles have not included any 4 star or top 100 players (not including transfers), considering we have had success getting them in the past, and the program is in much better shape now. Every recruit we are on seems to be "under the radar" or "overlooked". Why at this point are we looking for diamonds in the rough? I trust in the staff, but I'm not sure I understand...I could understand if we never had success with those types of players...but we have, so why not continue?
I think you need to look at positions in relation to stuff like this to. And blueram points it out well directly above. There are not many 4 star top 100 type players at the 4 and 5 positions. And the ones that are out there are going to the powerhouses. In the A10, you have to find these 3 star type guys that are going to be solid big men for 4 years. When it comes to guards, there is alot more out there and thats where you'll see A10 level programs pulls in some bigger names.
0 x
Seawrightspostgame
Sly Williams

Unread post by Seawrightspostgame »

Any A10 team in the past 10 years that has dominated was with guys that were 3 star recruits that were upperclassmen.

Get 3 star guys. Develop them. They end up pretty good.
0 x
I want to change my name to BlockIslandFerry
ace
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by ace »

As mentioned above, this year they were targeting bigs- and very necessarily so. This staff is good; however, 4 star/top 100 bigs is something to work towards. It's a rare occurrence for the A10, including programs that have been better than Rhode Island.

Last year's 23 wins were great, but they were recruiting off of seasons with 8 and 14 wins and no post-season with a young, minutes-eating line-up.

The early signings were Butts (June, 2014) and Thompson (September, 2014). Butts (we hardly knew ya) is a 3 star big type. Christion looks like a versatile guard, who was willing to join a team that already had Terrell, Garrett, and Matthews.

Iverson took the open spot in January, 2015, and you take a chance on a guy like him every single time, IMO. Then, Four, who fits a specific need, committed in March, 2015.

After Biggie, Jarelle, and Matt left in April, that opened up 3 spots to fill kind of late. It wasn't unexpected, and they had been preparing, but that is still not easy. Those spots ended up being filled by Berry, Robinson, and Akele, which is more than acceptable.

You can rule out counting 4 stars if they were transfers, like Iverson and Robinson, if you want, but think about how good the staff and program will look if they can get those two straightened out after early struggles elsewhere.

This rebuild has been methodical and purposeful every step of the way. They've learned some things and made adjustments when necessary, and an NCAA appearance this season would do nothing but help. This team is set up very well. I don't see inconsistency in recruiting or improvement.
0 x
SGreenwell
Sly Williams

Unread post by SGreenwell »

theblueram wrote:I think sometimes position rank gets overlooked. Layssard is #34 nationally and Tertsea is #42 nationally for centers. The class of 16 had 5 5 stars and 13 4 stars at center. Seems like we didn't do too shabby with these big guys.
I think the comment about the number of 4-stars and 5-stars is a good one. There is a finite number, and think of it this way - If each program currently in the top 25 got one 4 or 5 star center, that would leave roughly six of them for the rest of college basketball. Also, programs like Duke and Kentucky aren't grabbing one of those guys - they're taking multiple each year. At least according to this site, even VCU's 2014 class only had one four-star, and they've been about as successful as you can be at the mid-major level: http://sports.yahoo.com/ncaa/basketball ... 14/vcu-651 - They didn't have one in 2013, had two in 2012, and none in 2011 or 2010.
0 x
RIFan
Carlton Owens

Unread post by RIFan »

I agree with everything stated above, especially regarding bigs. My only thought is we have had success with recruiting 4 star/top 100 players in the past under Hurley...why none in 2 recruiting cycles? Not that ratings are the end all and be all...it's just more likely that a player will contribute if they are rated that high. The only reason I didn't count the transfers, is because deserved or not, they did not produce (except Four) at their last stops...so they are wildcards and have not yet lived up to their high ratings. Which I suppose does not help my contention that we should be recruiting more 4 star recruits.
0 x
theblueram
Frank Keaney

On the power forward front, Langevine is rated as the #45 pf nationally. There are 6 5 stars and 25 4 stars. Again, not too shabby.
0 x
RIFan
Carlton Owens

Unread post by RIFan »

Though I guess we could also say, that the only reason we think the transfers (besides Four) will be good, despite not yet producing at the college level, is their top 100 high school ratings.
0 x
ace
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by ace »

I think people have talked about possibly why no 4 stars- last year, probably playing time and relative lack of succes on the court in 12-13, 13-14; this year, so far, I think it's more of the positions they've focused on. It's not a thing to be concerned about, IMO. The bigs they've signed are all solid 3-stars, two of whom are from very good and competitive programs.

Here's my point in mentioning Robinson and Iverson. Matthews and Terrell are the two 4-star, potential four year guys they've signed. They've been great gets, and they've performed well- but then again, they're expected to. The staff is just considered to be doing their job when they develop guys like that. However, if you take two guys that struggled after receiving all that hype, have them get with a new staff, and then come closer to meeting expectations, that makes the staff look very good.
0 x
Ramulous
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Ramulous »

The staff has identified recruits early in their careers who have developed into 4+ star players......when the kids blow up and the P5 schools come calling very few can ignore the glamour and stay focused on a mid-major who took a chance and offered them in the sophomore and junior years...it will take a special kid.....look at Gabriel....we were on him until he blew up and look at his suitors now......pc will have to get hit by lightning to be able to get him....

Marfo is a slight level below.....I believe accept for BC all his other final 5 are mid-majors....

And Layssard had P5 offers and supposedly Langevine had Pitt interested in getting him to officially visit....
0 x
F*ck Alacki, DarthFriar, DirtyBeanFriar94, xCoachK, Boxworth, Friar Faithful, bicycleicycle, Matt_Keough, Patrick Norton, the Rosato brothers, and especially Benjamin Lord !
theblueram
Frank Keaney

Marfo is also a 3 star.
0 x
RIFan
Carlton Owens

Unread post by RIFan »

I am not so much talking about bigs...I'm the one who posted on another thread the rankings of Iffy and Hare as an example of rankings not being as accurate for bigs...I'm talking in general. We are only looking for 1-2 guards, so why not take a shot at a highly regarded one?
0 x
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

RIFan wrote:I am not so much talking about bigs...I'm the one who posted on another thread the rankings of Iffy and Hare as an example of rankings not being as accurate for bigs...I'm talking in general. We are only looking for 1-2 guards, so why not take a shot at a highly regarded one?
We recruited many highly regarded guards from the '16 class....Mosely, Aiken, Ponds, Carr, Bruce Brown. They either all decided to go elsewhere or weren't on our list. So, you move on to the next one.
0 x
RIFan
Carlton Owens

Unread post by RIFan »

Fair enough. The last 2 years we weren't able to get any highly regarded high school/prep recruits to reciprocate interest. Except for the 2 transfers, who despite doing very little in 2 years of college we think are our best recruits based on the not that important high school rankings. I'm not trying to be a jerk, I like what the staff is doing, I just wondered why no more top 100 recruits. And then everyone says rankings are overrated, but they point to the rankings of the transfers.

Every recruiting cycle is different, and last year it could have been that our best players were FR and SO, and this year it could be because we went primarily after bigs. I do know that when they approach Top 100 recruits in this cycle and next, they can say we have 4, top 100 recruits on our roster...you'll be in good company.
0 x
Dre3000
Jimmy Baron

Unread post by Dre3000 »

In short to answer your question, no top 100s because they chose to go elsewhere. Last year our 4-star big we tried to get was Chris Silva, and his announcement was a circus but ended picking South Carolina over us. This year there were a few guards we went after but as has been stated, top 100/4-star guys aren't lining up to come off the bench for URI. They can do that at power 5 conferences or mid majors that have been consistently winning. With that said I would expect that to change in our next recruiting class!
0 x
ace
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by ace »

RIFan wrote:Fair enough. The last 2 years we weren't able to get any highly regarded high school/prep recruits to reciprocate interest. Except for the 2 transfers, who despite doing very little in 2 years of college we think are our best recruits based on the not that important high school rankings. I'm not trying to be a jerk, I like what the staff is doing, I just wondered why no more top 100 recruits. And then everyone says rankings are overrated, but they point to the rankings of the transfers.

Every recruiting cycle is different, and last year it could have been that our best players were FR and SO, and this year it could be because we went primarily after bigs. I do know that when they approach Top 100 recruits in this cycle and next, they can say we have 4, top 100 recruits on our roster...you'll be in good company.
Going by your second sentence, are you only considering top 100 guys to be highly regarded? Fair enough if that's your criteria, but I don't agree with it. Also, I don't think both Iverson and Robinson are necessarily the best recruits of this cycle, rankings or not. I don't think you're being a jerk, either. You started the conversation with a focus on rankings, so I think that's why it continued that way. And, if we want to be completely honest, they only have one top 100 player that has played for them- Terrell. EC wasn't in the final top 100 for his year. I don't see any discouraging reversal of trend happening here.

Besides, the recruiting classes being questioned haven't even stepped on the floor yet (or even graduated high school, for that matter). We all want winning and tournaments. Nothing is guaranteed, and if this staff can retain players (what good is a 4 star if he transfers or is ineligible?) and keep discovering 3 star talent that outperforms their ranking (hi Hassan), even better. The season is only days away- can't wait!
0 x
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

Unread post by TruePoint »

Are we back to complaining about recruiting again?
0 x
"If you build it, they will come." --Us, circa 2011
Running Ram
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Running Ram »

I don't think there's complaining going on, but it's not that hard to understand, unless I'm missing something, and it's one of the reasons we (the impatient) had to wait patiently for bigs. It's numbers and the reason a league like the A10 has teams that build guards first, really the number of stars for bigs aren't necessarily "in-line" with the stars for guards. Or more accurately there are many more 6'0" - 6"6" players than there are 6'10" players. The top 100 players is littered with G's and SF's, and typically with fewer PF's and C's. You won't see those of us that were patiently waiting for Bigs questioning why we have 3 star bigs and 4 star guards. If there are 65 four star guards, 10 five star guards and 20 four star PF/C's and 5 five star PF/C's (simple ratio for example sake) there just aren't enough four star PF/C's to go around. In order to lure the 4 star PF's to your team you need the high impact guards. There just aren't as many bigs available as there are guards and clearly our focus had to be on bigs this cycle, then there's the concept of accepting the professional's (coaches) assessments and trusting they know what they're looking for in order to move the program forward.

Not sure if I'm saying all this right, but I can say 3 three star bigs in one cycle is a great success and great guards make good PF's look great.
0 x
Go Rhody!!!
Birthplace of 'Fastbreak Basketball'
ace
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by ace »

TruePoint wrote:Are we back to complaining about recruiting again?
It has been almost three whole days since they've even signed anybody.
0 x
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Who is complaining? One person?
0 x
RF1
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by RF1 »

One of the great benefits to all these early signings is that they will allow the staff to focus on future class recruits. It is important to start to evaluate talent and build relationships early.
0 x
Ramulous
Carlton Owens

Our recruits are no good....the Friars have better ones...
0 x
F*ck Alacki, DarthFriar, DirtyBeanFriar94, xCoachK, Boxworth, Friar Faithful, bicycleicycle, Matt_Keough, Patrick Norton, the Rosato brothers, and especially Benjamin Lord !
CT Rhody
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by CT Rhody »

I agree, sign a guard and start hitting up top 150 talent in the next class and see if you can get a couple to come. If we dance this year, that will only help the sales job that Dan will be able to utilize in his favor. It's amazing the recruiting job that Dan and staff are doing with a tourney bid to date.
0 x
RIFan
Carlton Owens

Unread post by RIFan »

Not complaining...wondering aloud. I suppose it comes across as complaining on a message board because of the format...I doubt we would have gotten to this point if we were sitting around having a few beers talking about URI BBall.

I understand that ratings are to be taken with a grain of salt. I view being on the final list, and signing top 100 / 4 star players as great advertising, and a statement about the program. It generates a lot of excitement within the fan base, articles on ESPN, etc...Isn't the time of JT's announcement, the record for most people on this board?
0 x
Running Ram
Carlton Owens

It doesn't come across as complaining to me, but as I tried to say, maybe in too many words, I don't think it's anything to read into. We will continue to get consideration from top 100 players going forward, this cycle we got 3 top 200 players at a position we needed, not too shabby. My point, I think I was trying to make was its slightly easier to land top 100 guards than it is to land top 100 PF's, but that will come as the ball continues to roll.

And even if you were complaining... what does it say when two people complain about one person complaining?
0 x
Go Rhody!!!
Blue Man
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Blue Man »

I don't have the inclination to read complaints about anything after signing at 4 3 star recruits with high ceilings addressing 100% of our programs needs before practice even stars.

If you are complaing, or even the least bit unhappy, with anything associated with this program right now: you are an idiot, a curmudgeon, know absolutely nothing about basketball, college basketball, URI basketball, have lost any touch with reality, and are an unhappy person with no chance to find happiness in everything.

If you're unhappy in the least right now with any facet of URI basketball, you are everything wrong with our fan base. Go away.
0 x
If you say you’re a Rhody fan, I know you are my brother. For you have suffered as I have suffered.

Give to the Athletic Director's Fund

Give to Rhody's NIL
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Blue Man wrote:I don't have the inclination to read complaints about anything after signing at 4 3 star recruits with high ceilings addressing 100% of our programs needs before practice even stars.

If you are complaing, or even the least bit unhappy, with anything associated with this program right now: you are an idiot, a curmudgeon, know absolutely nothing about basketball, college basketball, URI basketball, have lost any touch with reality, and are an unhappy person with no chance to find happiness in everything.

If you're unhappy in the least right now with any facet of URI basketball, you are everything wrong with our fan base. Go away.
And Blue Man is in mid-season form. I love it! Let's get this season going!!!
0 x
RIFan
Carlton Owens

Unread post by RIFan »

Wow. I hope that was not directed at me. Because as I have stated multiple times...I am not complaining and I am very happy with where things are.

Please forgive me...a thousand pardons...The next time I have questions, I'll just keep them to myself, since apparently this is not the place to ask.
0 x
Blue Man
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Blue Man »

RIFan wrote:Wow. I hope that was not directed at me. Because as I have stated multiple times...I am not complaining and I am very happy with where things are.

Please forgive me...a thousand pardons...The next time I have questions, I'll just keep them to myself, since apparently this is not the place to ask.
I legitimately don't know who that's specifically directed at. I didn't scroll up. I don't have the inclination literally meant i wasn't going to try to find anything to read that was a complaint.

Just an illustration of a larger point. Not at anyone personally, I just know people find a way to complain on this board sometimes. I'm hoping this will not be one of those times.
0 x
If you say you’re a Rhody fan, I know you are my brother. For you have suffered as I have suffered.

Give to the Athletic Director's Fund

Give to Rhody's NIL
RIFan
Carlton Owens

Unread post by RIFan »

Agreed, we are witnessing somethings special, and should all feel fortunate. I guess my question that started this, was a result of being spoiled by how good we have it right now.
0 x
Running Ram
Carlton Owens

The point is, no one is complaining, someone decided to characterize a question as a complaint instead of speaking to the question. And it could only be taken as a gab, one which could cause this kind of reaction, as anyone can see from Blue Man's reaction. People please stop dropping little fire crackers every time they think someone isn't as excited as they should be and read the material. RIFan asked a friggin question, albeit one that seems to me to have an obvious answer, I could be way off base in my logic. TP, Blue Man, I love you guys but when you lite firecrackers without reading, it's not dialog its trolling for reactions.
0 x
Go Rhody!!!
DanInAZ
Jimmy Baron

Unread post by DanInAZ »

"If you throw a rock into a pack of dogs, the one that barks the loudest is the one that got hit."
0 x
RIFan
Carlton Owens

Unread post by RIFan »

Thanks RR
0 x
bressler3south
Carlton Owens

Unread post by bressler3south »

Ask a question.
Complain.
Whatever.
Even if it's neither nor the other.
I think it's funny.
It's the Rhody way.
Welcome to an exclusive club.
0 x
Rhody83
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhody83 »

I didn't take RIFan's question as a complaint. We are all happy with the recriuting results. To have the 2016 class rapped up in Sept is unbelieveable. The question is once we had a really good base (2 or 3 verbals) should Dan have adusted his strategy for the last 1 or 2 spots. Ace brought this up on another thread as a possibility when Langevine didn't verbal right after his visit. I think most people on this board (including me) feel that you commit to the 3 star players you were interested in = commit to all 4 of these players. RIFan's question is still a valid one.

I don't put too much weight on the # of stars. Dan may feel some of our committed recruits are better than some of the 4 star players he was looking at. I also think there tends to be more upside potential for big men (to develop) overall than Guards.
0 x
“We will be good when we are good.”
Ramulous
Carlton Owens

All these recruits pale in comparison to the friars next commitment....
0 x
Seawrightspostgame
Sly Williams

Unread post by Seawrightspostgame »

I have a complaint....

Now that our recruiting class is full...

What the hell are we going to do in April/May?
0 x
I want to change my name to BlockIslandFerry
Running Ram
Carlton Owens

Seawrightspostgame wrote:I have a complaint....

you mean besides celebrate a final four run in the ncaa's right?

and very good question!
0 x
Go Rhody!!!
Rhody74
Sly Williams

Unread post by Rhody74 »

We will need those months to recover from our drunken celebrations.
0 x
Slava Ukraini!
rodfromcranston
Frank Keaney

Unread post by rodfromcranston »

Well, this IS supposed to be a discussion board.
Somehow, certain comments are always taken as treasonous.
If you agree with someone or something 100% of the time,
you've probably been hypnotized to do so, or have had a lobotomy.
Sorry, I'm sure some troll will call me Mr. Negative or some such
crapola.
This isn't Jonestown and we're Rams, not sheep.
0 x
< Arthur is my spirit animal.
SmartyBarrett
Sly Williams

Unread post by SmartyBarrett »

Get a jump on 2017's? 8-)
0 x
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

SmartyBarrett wrote:

Get a jump on 2017's? 8-)
And there is a lot of local talent in the '17 class. Jermaine Samuels, Kimani Lawrence and Tomas Murphy are all ranked in the top 100, maybe top 50. Many have said that Murphy will not come here. But Samuels and Lawrence are big scorers and would be great candidates to replace EC. Hopefully we'll see them at some games this season.
0 x
BFC
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by BFC »

Billyboy78 wrote:And there is a lot of local talent in the '17 class. Jermaine Samuels, Kimani Lawrence and Tomas Murphy are all ranked in the top 100, maybe top 50. Many have said that Murphy will not come here. But Samuels and Lawrence are big scorers and would be great candidates to replace EC. Hopefully we'll see them at some games this season.
Both Samuels and Lawrence are Expressions Elite but Samuels has said he wants to play in the ACC. Lawrence is from Providence.
0 x
SmartyBarrett
Sly Williams

Unread post by SmartyBarrett »

Billyboy78 wrote:Keeping track of the local kids. Top ranked freshmen in the state. The Swider kid is one to watch, 6'3" shooting guard and still growing. Note who is at #3.

http://ripreps.weebly.com/class-of-2018.html
0 x