General Recruiting Discussion/Comments 2022 and before

Talk about future recruits and scouting efforts in this forum.
Forum rules
If you start a recruit thread and don't set up a profile, make a blank post first so a profile can be added later.

Place whatever you were going to post in the second post.
Seawrightspostgame
Sly Williams

Re: General Recruiting Discussion/Comments

Unread post by Seawrightspostgame »

Nope, it's obvious they read this board and got on the horn. Luckily they did!
0 x
I want to change my name to BlockIslandFerry
ATPTourFan
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ATPTourFan »

Indeed.
0 x
Support Coach Miller & Rhody Basketball! Give to the Athletic Director's Fund
reckless jake
ARD

Unread post by reckless jake »

Gonna be interesting to see how this plays out between Igbanu, Langevine and Marfo, especially if Igbanu announces for URI later today.

We don't know how Layssard's commitment is perceived by Igbanu. He could see himself and Layssard as complimentary players in a big, strong frontcourt and announce for URI. Conversely, he could see himself and Layssard competing for the same minutes and decide to go elsewhere.

If Igbanu does choose URI today, how does his decision impact Langevine, who seems to be favoring URI. Does he still visit this weekend?

And, if Igbanu and Langevine both committed to URI, would we take them both and take a pass on waiting for Marfo to visit URI and make his decision?

However it works out it seems to be a great "problem" for the program to have.
0 x
rodfromcranston
Frank Keaney

Unread post by rodfromcranston »

Well, I'd imagine Dan explained that Watson and Onyekaba are leaving this year,
and Martin, and Iverson, the next.
Plenty of playing time will develop in that time.
Realizing bigs come along slower than guards, there's a true advantage to
stockpiling then for the future.
ARD can work with them on their games and polish their skills.
Marfo is a BABC player, and we haven't had one of those enroll in my memory.
That would be a nice pipeline to establish for the future.
Having this many bigs show this much interest, for some of us,
is a dream scenario, if we get any three.
0 x
< Arthur is my spirit animal.
bigappleram
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by bigappleram »

Agree with the notion of Ramster, given we are likely to have a successful season to recruit against (versus just the hope) would be great to hold 1 back for a future signing. A nice problem to have I suppose. Thank god the coaches read this board and finally started working :)
0 x
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

Unread post by RhowdyRam02 »

Last spring, on the day of the 5k, we hosted three recruits in one day. Last weekend we had two on campus, and we have two more this weekend. Do we think this is a coincidence or is this a tactic to try and get one recruit to verbal on the visit or right after? Kind of like, "we'll take one of you, first one to say yes is in."
0 x
Take down the Robert Carothers banner and fix the concession stand lines
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

Unread post by TruePoint »

RhowdyRam02 wrote:Last spring, on the day of the 5k, we hosted three recruits in one day. Last weekend we had two on campus, and we have two more this weekend. Do we think this is a coincidence or is this a tactic to try and get one recruit to verbal on the visit or right after? Kind of like, "we'll take one of you, first one to say yes is in."
I can't speak for our coaches, but in football recruiting this is a very common tactic to try to manufacture some sense of urgency.
0 x
"If you build it, they will come." --Us, circa 2011
ace
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by ace »

A year ago, they brought in Christion Thompson and Isaiah Moss on the same weekend, and Christion committed by Sunday. Moss was just cleared academically to become eligible for the Fall at Iowa. When Matthews and Martin visited together in September 2012 the purpose was to send them the same message and to get them both on board. Terrell got a solo visit. I think the visits this past May were more a function of 3 spots opening up and needing to make decisions quickly. It's all a balancing act, which would probably make me crazy if I was a coach.
0 x
BFC
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by BFC »

ace wrote:A year ago, they brought in Christion Thompson and Isaiah Moss on the same weekend, and Christion committed by Sunday. Moss was just cleared academically to become eligible for the Fall at Iowa. When Matthews and Martin visited together in September 2012 the purpose was to send them the same message and to get them both on board. Terrell got a solo visit. I think the visits this past May were more a function of 3 spots opening up and needing to make decisions quickly. It's all a balancing act, which would probably make me crazy if I was a coach.
I thought Hassan visited with Severe, who's visit was moot because EC had just verballed like the day before. Am I remembering it wrong?
0 x
ace
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by ace »

BFC wrote:
ace wrote:A year ago, they brought in Christion Thompson and Isaiah Moss on the same weekend, and Christion committed by Sunday. Moss was just cleared academically to become eligible for the Fall at Iowa. When Matthews and Martin visited together in September 2012 the purpose was to send them the same message and to get them both on board. Terrell got a solo visit. I think the visits this past May were more a function of 3 spots opening up and needing to make decisions quickly. It's all a balancing act, which would probably make me crazy if I was a coach.
I thought Hassan visited with Severe, who's visit was moot because EC had just verballed like the day before. Am I remembering it wrong?
That might be right. I only remember they committed the same weekend and were in contact with each other before and after doing so. Those early visits were all about the recruits bonding and buying into it all, not competition. The coaches were upset about not getting Josh Brown but then getting EC worked out even better.

Jon Severe, though- Rhode Island backing off of him looks good in retrospect. Wonder what he'll make of his two years left?

ETA: yeah, you're right. So EC only ever visited unofficially before committing? Funny to read these quotes now-

http://zagsblog.com/rhode-island/severe ... nd-friday/
0 x
Ramulous
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Ramulous »

I had 3 of my first 4 wives officially visit me on the same weekend.....
0 x
F*ck Alacki, DarthFriar, DirtyBeanFriar94, xCoachK, Boxworth, Friar Faithful, bicycleicycle, Matt_Keough, Patrick Norton, the Rosato brothers, and especially Benjamin Lord !
rodfromcranston
Frank Keaney

As long as they didn't run into your girlfriends,
you should be alright.

Seriously, for the first time in a long time,
we have a slew of big men that seem truly interested
in coming here or at least seriously considering URI.
They all seem to be good quality with untapped upsides.
With five front-court openings in the next two years,
this could not have come at a better time.
0 x
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by Billyboy78 »

Was there a 3rd recruit here today? According to Bird, there was,

The Bird ‏@TheBirdmanJrJr · 1m1 minute ago
Hearing that in addition to @CyrilLangevine and Michael Tertsea, an Expressions Elite coach was with 6'7 recruit. Working on name. #GoRhody
0 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

Billyboy78 wrote:Was there a 3rd recruit here today? According to Bird, there was,

The Bird ‏@TheBirdmanJrJr · 1m1 minute ago
Hearing that in addition to @CyrilLangevine and Michael Tertsea, an Expressions Elite coach was with 6'7 recruit. Working on name. #GoRhody

ExpressionsEYBL – ‏@XEliteBasketbal

Just leaving URI checked in on #ExpressionsElite Alumni Jared Terrell. In amazing shape, looking to #Show&Prove
Embedded image
9:52 AM - 19 Sep 2015
0 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

0 x
ATPTourFan
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ATPTourFan »

Good for the league.
0 x
Support Coach Miller & Rhody Basketball! Give to the Athletic Director's Fund
Running Ram
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Running Ram »

Yes, nice to see VCU keep the ball rolling, the A10 is going to force the NCAA to reconsider how they 'label' these conferences. It seems to me the A10 consistently places above at least one power conference each year, or is this just my historical rewrite?
0 x
Go Rhody!!!
Birthplace of 'Fastbreak Basketball'
CT Rhody
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by CT Rhody »

Anybody else scanning Twitter this morning hoping for a commitment announcement?
0 x
Ramulous
Carlton Owens

I'm hearing from a source that a very good point is set to visit soon.....a player that has not been profiled in this section....he is a 2016 recruit...
0 x
F*ck Alacki, DarthFriar, DirtyBeanFriar94, xCoachK, Boxworth, Friar Faithful, bicycleicycle, Matt_Keough, Patrick Norton, the Rosato brothers, and especially Benjamin Lord !
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Ramulous wrote:I'm hearing from a source that a very good point is set to visit soon.....a player that has not been profiled in this section....he is a 2016 recruit...
Interesting. No hints?
0 x
Ramulous
Carlton Owens

I don't want to betray a confidential informant.....just saying.......("Black Mass" reference)
0 x
CT Rhody
Cuttino Mobley

We have the point guard from DC coming up next weekend, is that him?
0 x
Ramulous
Carlton Owens

No. He is not yet listed in this section....
0 x
rodfromcranston
Frank Keaney

Whitey Bulger has a grandson who's a point guard?
0 x
Ramulous
Carlton Owens

No.....the "just saying" line...
0 x
bigappleram
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by bigappleram »

We are so stocked in the back court for the next 2-3 years it would be an impressive feat by Dan to entice a talented 2016 PG to commit.
0 x
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

De'Aaron Fox hasn't committed yet....
0 x
reckless jake
ARD

Hmmmm, pure speculation on my part, but I just wonder if the mysterious PG mentioned above might be Bryce Akins, who attends The Patrick School with Langevine?

He was supposedly down to Harvard, Seton Hall and Miami. We offered him earlier in the year. Just wondering...

Ace, may know more about Akins' current recruitment status. I think he has yet to make all of his official visits.
0 x
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

I'm pretty sure Aiken is in our recruitment section.
0 x
CT Rhody
Cuttino Mobley

ESPN has us listed with Greg Williams PG out of Texas, could it be him?
0 x
adam914
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by adam914 »

CT Rhody wrote:ESPN has us listed with Greg Williams PG out of Texas, could it be him?
It looks like he does play for DC Assault...

6'6" PG...yes please.
0 x
twisted3829
Carlton Owens

Unread post by twisted3829 »

the espn list is impressive
0 x
NOT IN OUR HOUSE
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

UMass could be getting a couple of really good ones. http://247sports.com/Bolt/New-Orleans-d ... s-39619310
0 x
bressler3south
Carlton Owens

Unread post by bressler3south »

CT Rhody wrote:ESPN has us listed with Greg Williams PG out of Texas, could it be him?
https://wku.rivals.com/content.asp?CID=1651350
0 x
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

That article says Williams is a wing.
0 x
ace
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by ace »

I'm assuming it will be someone named Michael.
0 x
reckless jake
ARD

As good as we think the 15/16 Ram team will be, something to like about the additions of the two bigs Layssard and Tertsea is that piece-by-piece Dan Hurley is building a team capable of playing with & beating Power 5 schools and making a deep run in the NCAA's.

Regardless of it's Marfo, Langevine or another skilled wing player, add a skilled back-up PG and the 16/17 team may be even better.

The point being, leaving money out of the equation for a moment, if you were as competitive as Dan Hurley is and you built that strong a team with that much potential over the next few years would you just walk away from the opportunity to really win big? It would be damn hard.
0 x
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

ace wrote:I'm assuming it will be someone named Michael.
Bibby?
0 x
Ramulous
Carlton Owens

I asked the source if the info was confidential or able to be posted.....the source indicated it was free game.....

Daquan Bracey, St. Frances Academy, Baltimore, MD.....5-11, 170...holds offers from Georgetown, Dayton, Kansas St., Marquette and Towson.......visiting first weekend in October.....
0 x
ace
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by ace »

Ramulous wrote:I asked the source if the info was confidential or able to be posted.....the source indicated it was free game.....

Daquan Bracey, St. Frances Academy, Baltimore, MD.....5-11, 170...holds offers from Georgetown, Dayton, Kansas St., Marquette and Towson.......visiting first weekend in October.....
Cox watched him the first week of the recruitment period.
0 x
theblueram
Frank Keaney

Unread post by theblueram »

Impressive list of suitors.
0 x
bressler3south
Carlton Owens

Unread post by bressler3south »

Ramulous wrote:I asked the source if the info was confidential or able to be posted.....the source indicated it was free game.....

Thanks for your hard work, Ramulous.

Maybe, Billyboy will rest easier knowing that Daquan's middle name is "Michael."
0 x
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

bressler3south wrote:

Maybe, Billyboy will rest easier knowing that Daquan's middle name is "Michael."
Yeah, I knew that...
0 x
ace
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by ace »

Billyboy78 wrote:
bressler3south wrote:

Yeah, I knew that...
But I was really hoping for an all Michael class. They're already 2 for 2!
0 x
hrstrat57
Sly Williams

Unread post by hrstrat57 »

reckless jake wrote:As good as we think the 15/16 Ram team will be, something to like about the additions of the two bigs Layssard and Tertsea is that piece-by-piece Dan Hurley is building a team capable of playing with & beating Power 5 schools and making a deep run in the NCAA's.

Regardless of it's Marfo, Langevine or another skilled wing player, add a skilled back-up PG and the 16/17 team may be even better.

The point being, leaving money out of the equation for a moment, if you were as competitive as Dan Hurley is and you built that strong a team with that much potential over the next few years would you just walk away from the opportunity to really win big? It would be damn hard.
I think if he wins big we continue to pony up more/increasing money.....because sold out buildings make large dollars for state U.
0 x
We're gonna run the picket fence at "em.....now boys don't get caught watchin' the paint dry!
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

Unread post by RhowdyRam02 »

So with Langevine's commitment, we can assume the Butts era is over before it started and we're no longer in on Marfo?
0 x
Take down the Robert Carothers banner and fix the concession stand lines
Shaolin Swat
ARD

Unread post by Shaolin Swat »

RhowdyRam02 wrote:So with Langevine's commitment, we can assume the Butts era is over before it started and we're no longer in on Marfo?
I would assume that is correct. I don't see any way that the staff brings in 4 bigs and passes on getting at least 1 guard in here. Even if they don't land another recruit, I'd imagine that they will hold the scholarship open for any potential transfers instead of keeping Butts on as the 4th big in the recruiting class.
0 x
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

I would think it's a PG now. We have No Doubtin' Jeff Dowtin in this weekend and DayDay Bracey next weekend. Bracey will be here when official practice starts next Saturday. It could be down to those two for the last spot.
0 x
Dre3000
Jimmy Baron

Unread post by Dre3000 »

I for one will be shocked if Bracey makes it on campus. Seems the staff has been and will continue to push for commits when they bring recruits in to Kingston. I expect no different with Dowtin. If they are bringing him on an official, they will take him if he commits. The question is will he be ready to make the call or is he leaning towards Wichita State?
0 x
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Dre3000 wrote:I for one will be shocked if Bracey makes it on campus. Seems the staff has been and will continue to push for commits when they bring recruits in to Kingston. I expect no different with Dowtin. If they are bringing him on an official, they will take him if he commits. The question is will he be ready to make the call or is he leaning towards Wichita State?
You could be right. Even though Marfo was in our final 5, he never made it to campus on an official visit. I'm guessing we're no longer pursuing him.
0 x