General Recruiting Discussion/Comments 2022 and before

Talk about future recruits and scouting efforts in this forum.
Forum rules
If you start a recruit thread and don't set up a profile, make a blank post first so a profile can be added later.

Place whatever you were going to post in the second post.
Rhody83
Tyson Wheeler

Re: General Recruiting Discussion/Comments

Unread post by Rhody83 »

rhodylaw wrote:Assuming no more defections we have a really solid core for two years. I think it is going to be particularly tough in 2019 given the two more years of Dowtin and Cyril. I would consider 1 high level recruit in 2019 to be a win but would not be surprised if there is a role player / 4 year player class like the CT and Akele class.
For a 2019 recruit Dowtin and Cyril we be Seniors when they are Freshmen. Fatts will be a Junior.
There can be a recruiting challenge for the ‘19 class because Harris, Tate and Martin are a year in front of them. Adams departure made it less of a log jam though, especially at the G position.
0 x
“We will be good when we are good.”
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by Billyboy78 »

Obviously none of our recruits in this game, but a fun game to watch, tonight on ESPN2.
http://bleacherreport.com/articles/2769 ... s-to-watch
0 x
giovanni
Carlton Owens

Unread post by giovanni »

Nothing against Dan, but I think this kid has made a very wise move
0 x
Bos8
Tom Garrick

Unread post by Bos8 »

Talented combo guard Xavier Johnson de-committed from Nebraska when their Assistant Coach left to go join Coach Hurley at UConn. The kid was a 3 star player who played for Bishop O'Connell and Team Takeover out of DC. I believe his final 3 were Nebraska, Georgetown and Georgia Tech. With G-Town taking a commitment out of a second guard earlier this week, I have to imagine they wont be involved this time around.
I'm confident Coach Cox is at the very least familiar with him. Would certainly be a suitable replacement for Adams, and would be curious to know if we have reached out.
1 x
DC_Rams
Sly Williams

Unread post by DC_Rams »

Bos8 wrote:Talented combo guard Xavier Johnson de-committed from Nebraska when their Assistant Coach left to go join Coach Hurley at UConn. The kid was a 3 star player who played for Bishop O'Connell and Team Takeover out of DC. I believe his final 3 were Nebraska, Georgetown and Georgia Tech. With G-Town taking a commitment out of a second guard earlier this week, I have to imagine they wont be involved this time around.
I'm confident Coach Cox is at the very least familiar with him. Would certainly be a suitable replacement for Adams, and would be curious to know if we have reached out.
Talk about a kid who’s criminally underrated. Would LOVE to get him. Highly unlikely, but couldn’t hurt to reach out.
0 x
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

Maybe he goes to UConn since the coach went there ???
0 x
DC_Rams
Sly Williams

Unread post by DC_Rams »

reef wrote:Maybe he goes to UConn since the coach went there ???
No more schollies
0 x
Iggy1979
Sly Williams

Unread post by Iggy1979 »

This is where Hurley pushes someone out....
1 x
"Every season, college basketball has one or two teams that rise from dormancy to relevancy, squads that make long-awaited charges at the NCAA Tournament and become really fun storylines along the way."
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Iggy1979 wrote:This is where Hurley pushes someone out....
Maybe he'll push Brendan Adams out...
0 x
Rhody83
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhody83 »

Billyboy78 wrote:
Iggy1979 wrote:This is where Hurley pushes someone out....
Maybe he'll push Brendan Adams out...
I think UCONN is done for ‘18 and focused on ‘19.
If Jalen Adams leaves they would have another spot open though. Maybe they would go after a 5th year or transfer to fill that.
They have 4 scholarships open for ‘19. That will be Hurley’s most important year.
0 x
“We will be good when we are good.”
wgracie99
Jeff Kent

Unread post by wgracie99 »

So technically we have all 3 recruits as 4*. Harris a 4* everywhere, Tate an espn 4* and Martin now a 247 4*. Wow not too shabby at all. Can't wait for this year but 2019-2020 should be one heck of a year.
0 x
DC_Rams
Sly Williams

Unread post by DC_Rams »

wgracie99 wrote:So technically we have all 3 recruits as 4*. Harris a 4* everywhere, Tate an espn 4* and Martin now a 247 4*. Wow not too shabby at all. Can't wait for this year but 2019-2020 should be one heck of a year.
Martin is 3* on 247.
0 x
Da_Process_Survivor
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by Da_Process_Survivor »

DC_Rams wrote:
wgracie99 wrote:So technically we have all 3 recruits as 4*. Harris a 4* everywhere, Tate an espn 4* and Martin now a 247 4*. Wow not too shabby at all. Can't wait for this year but 2019-2020 should be one heck of a year.
Martin is 3* on 247.
thats the composite score 247 builds that takes every media outlets rankings into consideration. 247 themselves have him at 4
1 x
---
He was a snake oil salesman...just like the rest of em
---
DC_Rams
Sly Williams

Unread post by DC_Rams »

I stand corrected.
0 x
PeterRamTime
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by PeterRamTime »

Check out this utter madness.

Screw Duke...
0 x
sf2010
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by sf2010 »

Gonna be real interesting to see how his game translates to a higher level of competition. Not doubting him at all, but he doesn't have any real easy player comparisons. He's built more like a defensive end than a basketball player.
0 x
RamIt!
Jeff Kent

Unread post by RamIt! »

PeterRamTime wrote:Check out this utter madness.

Screw Duke...
one and done.
0 x
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

Unread post by TruePoint »

sf2010 wrote:Gonna be real interesting to see how his game translates to a higher level of competition. Not doubting him at all, but he doesn't have any real easy player comparisons. He's built more like a defensive end than a basketball player.
After watching that video, I'm left wondering how he ended up playing this past season in a middle school church league.
0 x
"If you build it, they will come." --Us, circa 2011
Da_Process_Survivor
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by Da_Process_Survivor »

Screw Duke...
bright side is they are hurting themselves by being a 1 and done factory. its why they flame out in the tournament recently.

When they were fully DUKE, they were rolling out top talent that had played 4 years together. It's why even now you dont see the 1 and done teams winning the NCAA, its almost always the veteran teams that have logged minutes together.

The lone exception really being 2012 Kentucky.

side note, looking at Kentucky's wiki...I hate them more. 8x Champs, 17x Final 4, 37x Elite 8, 43x Sweet 16
0 x
---
He was a snake oil salesman...just like the rest of em
---
sf2010
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by sf2010 »

TruePoint wrote:
sf2010 wrote:Gonna be real interesting to see how his game translates to a higher level of competition. Not doubting him at all, but he doesn't have any real easy player comparisons. He's built more like a defensive end than a basketball player.
After watching that video, I'm left wondering how he ended up playing this past season in a middle school church league.
Right? Not exactly top-flight. I know he's played for USA basketball and stuff though, so he can definitely play. You don't get to be the #2 recruit in the country by accident.

As I was thinking about it though - anyone else remember when Antonio Gates played basketball for Kent State? Shredded Rhody in 2002 for a 25/7/5 line. Zion has a similar body-type to that.
0 x
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

Wow kid looks like a sure fire number 1 draft pick and a future NBA slam dunk champ

If he not ranked 1 in his class I like to see who is ahead of him ??
0 x
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Here ya go Reef. Barrett is #1. Duke got the top 3 players in the class.
0 x
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

They didn’t get the top 3 players.
0 x
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

TruePoint wrote:They didn’t get the top 3 players.
Depends which one you look at. Reddish has been as high as 2 or 3 in some.
0 x
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

Yeah he’s slipped a tiny bit in the final rankings (or just gotten passed by bol and nas little), but regardless to your point they may have the best recruiting class of all-time.

ETA: to be fair Billy, ESPN does have them 1-3. So according to them you’re right.
1 x
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

TruePoint wrote:Yeah he’s slipped a tiny bit in the final rankings (or just gotten passed by bol and nas little), but regardless to your point they may have the best recruiting class of all-time.

ETA: to be fair Billy, ESPN does have them 1-3. So according to them you’re right.
Yes, adding Tre Jones to those three is ridiculous. Tre has been in the 10-15 range nationally. I think he's better than his brother.
0 x
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

I think Zion is more powerful but Barrett may have some better outside skills

I think Zion will be the top pick overall he could be a LeBron type just look at those dunks
0 x
Rhody Guy
Art Stephenson

Unread post by Rhody Guy »

Lebron is 3-4 inches taller. I really am not sure if Zion has a good comp. He has the athleticism of Lebron but the floor game of Zach Randolph wrapped in Jadeveon Clowney's body. New breed.
0 x
sf2010
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by sf2010 »

Lebron is also top5 in the NBA for vision/passing at 6'8" 250. I don't see that ability in Zion.
0 x
Seawrightspostgame
Sly Williams

Unread post by Seawrightspostgame »

The 1 and done needs senior leadership to excel. Kentucky also had 1 and dones that were all-decade type defenders. The Duke team not so much. The duke team resembled Ohio State's team that lost the title game. Competition is key. All champions are not created equal.
0 x
I want to change my name to BlockIslandFerry
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by rambone 78 »

Duke will go back to less one and dones after coach K retires, I would think.

Everybody wants to play for the guy. It still takes a very good coach to get freshmen to play together well enough to compete for a national title, no matter how individually talented the players are.
0 x
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

Rhody Guy wrote:Lebron is 3-4 inches taller. I really am not sure if Zion has a good comp. He has the athleticism of Lebron but the floor game of Zach Randolph wrapped in Jadeveon Clowney's body. New breed.
I thought Shawn Kemp when I watched him.
0 x
sf2010
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by sf2010 »

That's a good comp
0 x
rjsuperfly66
Carlton Owens

Unread post by rjsuperfly66 »

Da_Process_Survivor wrote:

Screw Duke...
bright side is they are hurting themselves by being a 1 and done factory. its why they flame out in the tournament recently.

When they were fully DUKE, they were rolling out top talent that had played 4 years together. It's why even now you dont see the 1 and done teams winning the NCAA, its almost always the veteran teams that have logged minutes together.

The lone exception really being 2012 Kentucky.

side note, looking at Kentucky's wiki...I hate them more. 8x Champs, 17x Final 4, 37x Elite 8, 43x Sweet 16
Well, Duke won just a few years ago behind Jahlil Okafor, Justice Winslow, and Tyus Jones. Grayson Allen was also a freshman on that team and had a huge Championship game.

That said, the last three Championship games have been between teams featuring majority of upperclassmen (UNC x2, Villanova x2, Gonzaga, and Michigan).

But, it's all the magic of the tournament ... Last year, Kentucky behind freshmen like Monk, Fox, and Adebayo were a miracle basket by Luke Maye away from OT in the Elite 8. This year, Duke with Bagley, Trent Jr, Carter Jr, Duval, were right there and one or two missed plays from beating Kansas to go to the Final Four. Kentucky and Duke are still winning a lot of tournament games.
2 x
RamIt!
Jeff Kent

Unread post by RamIt! »

Good chance we could be facing similar problems after next season...
0 x
Iggy1979
Sly Williams

Unread post by Iggy1979 »

No chance of getting drafted. Wonder if he'll be back either way.
1 x
"Every season, college basketball has one or two teams that rise from dormancy to relevancy, squads that make long-awaited charges at the NCAA Tournament and become really fun storylines along the way."
bigappleram
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by bigappleram »

In all of Dan’s interviews since accepting the job he (Vital) is someone that has never been mentioned. He calls out adams, Gilbert couple others. Wonder if he knows that either way he isn’t long for Storrs. And also may explain why he took Adams and/or Tarin Smith neither of whom seem to be anything more than short term stopgaps for a team with NC aspirations.
0 x
theblueram
Frank Keaney

Unread post by theblueram »

Not for nothing, but who gives a crap about what a player at uconn does? And why is this in our recruiting thread? Feck uconn.
1 x
giovanni
Carlton Owens

A bit interesting with Vital. Agree who gives a crap about UConn,I certainly don't,but it would appear the Vital is out of there and has said so much to the powers that be. But wasn't he a Dan/URI recruit at one time?
0 x
giovanni
Carlton Owens

I know he played in one of the NE prep school leagues and I remember seeing him play, not that I really had an eye on him, but if I recall right without looking up he was at St Thomas More and at least a 3 star kid
0 x
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

Zion is 6'6 still decent size for a small forward
0 x
Rhody Guy
Art Stephenson

Unread post by Rhody Guy »

TruePoint wrote:
Rhody Guy wrote:Lebron is 3-4 inches taller. I really am not sure if Zion has a good comp. He has the athleticism of Lebron but the floor game of Zach Randolph wrapped in Jadeveon Clowney's body. New breed.
I thought Shawn Kemp when I watched him.

That crossed my mind, but Kemp was also a 6'9" to 6'10" guy.
0 x
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

With a new staff, it's going to be fun seeing the new offers. There will be some that we've been on for a while and a bunch of new ones, along with some we're no longer involved with. Bishop is a great start. Aim high!
0 x
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

I know it's way early, but I likey what I see from this guy DC.....

I'm beginning to think he will be every bit as good as DH in just about every area of the program....

And who knows? He might turn out to be even a better bench coach....I know bringing in a assistant who is an expert on attacking zone defenses is a great start.

Cox seems to know what he wants and he's going to get after it.
0 x
hrstrat57
Sly Williams

Unread post by hrstrat57 »

rambone 78 wrote:I know it's way early, but I likey what I see from this guy DC.....

I'm beginning to think he will be every bit as good as DH in just about every area of the program....

And who knows? He might turn out to be even a better bench coach....I know bringing in a assistant who is an expert on attacking zone defenses is a great start.

Cox seems to know what he wants and he's going to get after it.
Yep so far real good.
0 x
We're gonna run the picket fence at "em.....now boys don't get caught watchin' the paint dry!
bigappleram
Ernie Calverley

You know how you attack a zone defense, have a bunch of good shooters. It’s not rocket science. I’m not sure that’s the #1 quality we are looking for from an assistant coach.
2 x
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

He's also known as a good recruiter, besides being a good x's and o's guy.

After watching us "attack" a zone late in the season, I think anything would help.
0 x
UCH21377
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by UCH21377 »

I think we got better against the zone last year. But let's face it our lineup and skill set didn't match up well against any zone, never mind one with a bunch of 6'10 guys. I know ST J killed us too, but to me zone O is just a small part of a big picture. PS: remind me of this post if and when we lose a game against a zone next year.
0 x
rjsuperfly66
Carlton Owens

Unread post by rjsuperfly66 »

bigappleram wrote:You know how you attack a zone defense, have a bunch of good shooters.
That's exactly what most zone oriented teams want you to do. You can still win that way, but it's a real feast or famine approach.
0 x
bigappleram
Ernie Calverley

Not when you are getting great shots off ball reversal and paint touches...it’s not called ‘shoot em out of the zone’ for nothing. That doesn’t mean 4 passes around perimeter and chuck a contested 25 footer for a good shooting team.
0 x