General Recruiting Discussion/Comments 2022 and before

Talk about future recruits and scouting efforts in this forum.
Forum rules
If you start a recruit thread and don't set up a profile, make a blank post first so a profile can be added later.

Place whatever you were going to post in the second post.
KingstonLane
Cuttino Mobley

Re: General Recruiting Discussion/Comments

Unread post by KingstonLane »

theblueram wrote: 2 years ago So when do we get a recruit who moves the needle on the national level? Seems like we have Baron recruiting here. This is getting depressing.
Lol what? You currently have a pair of twins who are two of the highest graded bigs to ever come to URI
1 x
McRam
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by McRam »

And…….?
0 x
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Jersey77 »

Richmond got their first '22 commit, Michael Waltz (C) from Pa. Also had offers from La Salle, St. Joe's, and Penn State.

0 x
CamsRams
Tom Garrick

Unread post by CamsRams »

Appears Rhody is targeting Brafford & Skillings for visits.
0 x
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

Nice pickup for DH, he is killing it on the '22 recruiting trail, top class already.

0 x
theblueram
Frank Keaney

Unread post by theblueram »

But stars don't matter say some on this board. 11 4* recruits. We are in a world of hurt right now. Cox has not landed 1 Top 100 recruit since he took over.
2 x
STC
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by STC »

The 2018 and 2019 recruiting cycles all left. 2020 has Leggett and a bunch of projects. The current cycle is off to a very underwhelming start.

With Hurley, you could project forward a few years and see the vision. With Cox, I project forward to the Summer of 2023 and see a bottomed out roster.
1 x
FDshoes
ARD

Unread post by FDshoes »

STC wrote: 2 years ago The 2018 and 2019 recruiting cycles all left. 2020 has Leggett and a bunch of projects. The current cycle is off to a very underwhelming start.

With Hurley, you could project forward a few years and see the vision. With Cox, I project forward to the Summer of 2023 and see a bottomed out roster.

While i agree Cox's career as a HC has been off to a rocky start, BUT you cannot compare us to UConn at this point. UConn without Hurley has name recognition to pull recruits then you add in the Hurley name and being back in the BE and they will have 4star plus recruits every single year!

This is just not a fair comparison. Hurley here got a top top 100 in Harris who greatly underperformed due to various reasons including injury.
0 x
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

STC wrote: 2 years ago The 2018 and 2019 recruiting cycles all left. 2020 has Leggett and a bunch of projects. The current cycle is off to a very underwhelming start.

We do have some under the radar recruits, but I am very optimistic about Chance and Samb. Also before we dismiss Tres and Ileri, let's see them in action.

Remember the twins still have 3 years of eligibility (if they decide to stay).

Obviously this coming season, will give us a good idea of where our program is headed.
1 x
theblueram
Frank Keaney

FDshoes wrote: 2 years ago

While i agree Cox's career as a HC has been off to a rocky start, BUT you cannot compare us to UConn at this point. UConn without Hurley has name recognition to pull recruits then you add in the Hurley name and being back in the BE and they will have 4star plus recruits every single year!

This is just not a fair comparison. Hurley here got a top top 100 in Harris who greatly underperformed due to various reasons including injury.
Hurley got us EC Matthews when this program was in the toilet after Baron. He got us Jared Terrell. Cmon man.
1 x
theblueram
Frank Keaney

Jersey77 wrote: 2 years ago

We do have some under the radar recruits, but I am very optimistic about Chance and Samb. Also before we dismiss Tres and Ileri, let's see them in action.

Remember the twins still have 3 years of eligibility (if they decide to stay).

Obviously this coming season, will give us a good idea of where our program is headed.
Nah, I'm done with under the radar recruits. I want another coach like Hurley who got us 4* top 100 recruits like EC and JT. Cox is not getting it done. I think next year is his last.
1 x
FDshoes
ARD

Unread post by FDshoes »

theblueram wrote: 2 years ago
FDshoes wrote: 2 years ago

Hurley got us EC Matthews when this program was in the toilet after Baron. He got us Jared Terrell. Cmon man.
And how many years ago was that? Took what 4 years for him to land another top 100 player and if i remember correctly Cox was the lead in landing Harris. It wasnt like Hurley was landing stud recruits year in and year out here. We all want to land highly ranked players but that is just such a rarity for a non P5+BE program minus Gonzaga.
0 x
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

McKillop and Davidson got a big commitment, Reed Bailey PF (6'10") had plenty of P6 offers.

0 x
Seawrightspostgame
Sly Williams

Unread post by Seawrightspostgame »

EC was coming no matter what it seemed. Murphy deluxe.

JT was hurleys real recruiting victory and then Hassan turning out to be a top player across the country. Then he looked in the mirror and knew it’s hard to do it again. So he went where it is routine.

Seems to be doing well. Bouknight’s success will do wonders and is obviously doing wonders for their recruiting.

Cox has done ok his first few years. Hopefully he gets better on the court. Covid didn’t help. He has been a force in the transfer game and that is good.
0 x
I want to change my name to BlockIslandFerry
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

Seawrightspostgame wrote: 2 years ago EC was coming no matter what it seemed. Murphy deluxe.

JT was hurleys real recruiting victory and then Hassan turning out to be a top player across the country. Then he looked in the mirror and knew it’s hard to do it again. So he went where it is routine.

Seems to be doing well. Bouknight’s success will do wonders and is obviously doing wonders for their recruiting.

Cox has done ok his first few years. Hopefully he gets better on the court. Covid didn’t help. He has been a force in the transfer game and that is good.
Jared Terrell - Top 100 HS
EC Mathews - Top 100 HS
Kuran Iverson - Top 50 HS, transfer from Memphis
Stanford Robinson - Top 50 HS, transfer from Indiana

Hassan Martin - Top 125 player potential in the eyes of Dan Hurley who had seen Martin play in HS many, many times. Martin was an extremely hard worker with solid potential. Hurley’s dad knew Martin very well too.

Cyril Langevine - Top 125 player potential in the eyes of Dan Hurley who had seen Cyril play in HS a lot. Langevine was an extremely hard worker with excellent upside potential. Hurley’s dad knew Langevine very well too.

Martin and Langevine proved the potential Hurley saw in them as they had outstanding A10 careers and have continued on playing well in Europe.

Hurley recruited well but in addition he retained his players. They learned his system, became intense defensive players (or they didn't see the floor)

I think a difference in Hurley teams and the past 3 years has been defensive intensity.

Watch a bit of the URI Oregon game. The defense from both teams is suffocating.

https://www.ncaa.com/video/basketball-m ... highlights
Last edited by ramster 2 years ago, edited 2 times in total.
2 x
Rhody_NYCT
Jimmy Baron

Unread post by Rhody_NYCT »

I didn't think CL was a top 125 player. I thought he was ranked like 200-300. Hassan not quite a 150. Maybe I am wrong.
0 x
KingstonLane
Cuttino Mobley

ramster wrote: 2 years ago
Seawrightspostgame wrote: 2 years ago EC was coming no matter what it seemed. Murphy deluxe.

EC Mathews - Top 100 player
Hassan Martin - Top 125 player
Cyril Langevine - Top 125 player

Hurley recruited well but in addition he retained his players. They learned his system, became intense defensive players (or they didn't see the floor)

I think a difference in Hurley teams and the past 3 years has been defensive intensity.

Ramster - you’re certainly allowed to have your opinion and prefer Hurley, but please don’t lie. There’s people on this board who will take what you what you say at face value and not waste time (like me) confirming how wrong you are.

Hassan Martin wasn’t even a top 150 player, let alone 125

Cyril was in like the 300s, no where close to 125….and very similar to any other normal recruit that gets brought in

Stan wasn’t top 50 either
1 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

KingstonLane wrote: 2 years ago

Ramster - you’re certainly allowed to have your opinion and prefer Hurley, but please don’t lie. There’s people on this board who will take what you what you say at face value and not waste time (like me) confirming how wrong you are.

Cyril was in like the 300s, no where close to 125….and very similar to any other normal recruit that gets brought in

Fixed it for ya.
Plus I added Jared Terrell to the list.

Stanford Robinson was ranked #56 by Rivals.com (16th-best shooting guard) and #59 by Scout.com (14th-best shooting guard).

Hurley knew the talents of Martin and Langevine having seen them play many, many times. His dad also knew Martin and Langevine very well.

Recruiting takes a talent to recognize talent and also to know the upside potential of the individuals being recruited.

Martin and Langevine turned out to be Too level A10 Players and have had productive careers overseas.
0 x
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

Stanford Robinson was ranked #56 by Rivals.com (16th-best shooting guard) and #59 by Scout.com (14th-best shooting guard).

Hurley knew the talents of Martin and Langevine having seen them play many, many times. His dad also knew Martin and Langevine very well.

Recruiting takes a talent to recognize talent and also to know the upside potential of the individuals being recruited.

Martin and Langevine turned out to be Too level A10 Players and have had productive careers overseas.
KingstonLane, I don't think Ramster was referring to the HS ranking of Martin or Cyril (he didn't indicate HS), just how they finished their college career. Transfer Stan Robinson national HS (ESPN) was #99, Iverson was #36, also not mentioned was Terrell at #79.
I am sure these rankings may vary among the different sites.

In contrast based on our current top rated transfer's rankings, which doesn't necessarily translate into success at the next level.
Carey- HS (#38), Makhi HS (#70), Makhel HS (#127)

Let's see how our younger under the radar player's perform.
I still don't have any concerns with Cox's ability to recruit at this time.

Hurley moved on and URI was a stepping stone for him, of course we all would of preferred him staying.
Cox doesn't have the experience, resume, or pedigree as Hurley so this really isn't a fair comparison.
0 x
Bill Koch
Steve Chubin

Unread post by Bill Koch »

Hassan Martin was No. 124 nationally per Rivals https://n.rivals.com/content/prospects/ ... rtin-29581

He was No. 160 nationally on the 247Sports composite rankings https://247sports.com/player/hassan-martin-20885/

That was with a knee injury and limited grassroots action prior to his senior year. Likely would have been a top-100 player. Jim Carr was the lead -- his best get at URI ahead of Cyril Langevine, who was about to take an unofficial to Pittsburgh before being pressed personally mid-week by Carr and Dan Hurley.
4 x
KingstonLane
Cuttino Mobley

Fixed it for ya.
Plus I added Jared Terrell to the list.

Hindsight is 20/20. Can’t sit here and pretend coaches can ever for sure say what will happen. I think the whole point of recruiting is finding your guys who you think are under ranked. Facts are facts. Cyril was a 300+ recruit nationally.
0 x
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by Billyboy78 »

And while Cyril was a big part of those championship teams, the real keys were Jared, EC and Hass......the higher ranked players.
0 x
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

Billyboy78 wrote: 2 years ago And while Cyril was a big part of those championship teams, the real keys were Jared, EC and Hass......the higher ranked players.
Don't forget Stan Robinson and Iverson (for 16-17)

Although props to Cyril, he is the type of player you always root for, a tough gritty kid who always went full throttle.
0 x
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Billyboy78 wrote: 2 years ago And while Cyril was a big part of those championship teams, the real keys were Jared, EC and Hass......the higher ranked players.

Although props to Cyril, he is the type of player you always root for, a tough gritty kid who always went full throttle.
My point being...it's fine to have developmental players, and I would call Cyril one of those, because he was very raw when he got here. But those guys should supplement the studs. You can't build a team around a bunch of developmental guys. You'd have to hit on around 3 out of 4 of them to be successful, and that's not likely.
1 x
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

Billyboy78 wrote: 2 years ago

My point being...it's fine to have developmental players, and I would call Cyril one of those, because he was very raw when he got here. But those guys should supplement the studs. You can't build a team around a bunch of developmental guys. You'd have to hit on around 3 out of 4 of them to be successful, and that's not likely.
It usually takes the bigs longer to develop.

The twins can be good building blocks for us. They were both highly rated and are still relatively young in their careers.

Ish might be one of those under rated gems that can be a major impact player for us. He had a national ranking of #389 (247 sports composite)
0 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

0 x
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

Not sure what the consensus of this board feels about our last scholarship opening.

Many of our top '22 prospects have moved on.

The transfer portal has been picked through and at this point doubtful any impact players would be available to us.

I still wouldn't mind a grad transfer (preferably a big) that can provide some emergency minutes and depth in the paint, without tying up a "22 scholarship.

Another option would be saving the scholarship for a possible mid-year transfer.

My favorite scenario would be getting a commitment from a high scoring stretch wing/forward namely Nate Brafford (reclassify to '21), and have him redshirt like Thomas.
0 x
SGreenwell
Sly Williams

Unread post by SGreenwell »

Jersey77 wrote: 2 years ago Not sure what the consensus of this board feels about our last scholarship opening.

The transfer portal has been picked through and at this point doubtful any impact players would be available to us.

I still wouldn't mind a grad transfer (preferably a big) that can provide some emergency minutes and depth in the paint, without tying up a "22 scholarship.

Another option would be saving the scholarship for a possible mid-year transfer.

My favorite scenario would be getting a commitment from a high scoring stretch wing/forward namely Nate Brafford (reclassify to '21), and have him redshirt like Thomas.
I assume that we just "bank" the scholarship at this point. The scenario you outline with Brafford would be nice, but seems like an incredible longshot. The same thing would go for a player that would get significant minutes at this point. It's hard to find a complete list, but fiddling with the "transfer" and "eligible now" sliders on this site, there aren't many players that excite me. You mostly have end of the bench guys from slightly better or equivalent programs to URI.
0 x
steveystuds06
Sly Williams

Unread post by steveystuds06 »

Jersey77 wrote: 2 years ago Not sure what the consensus of this board feels about our last scholarship opening.

Agreed. Nate Brafford is at the top of the list for me.
1 x
ATTITUDE IS EVERYTHING
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

I like Brafford too. He needs a year with some serious work in the weight room before he plays any college basketball. A redshirt year would be good. But, we don't know if Brafford wants to go an entire year without playing any competitive basketball, other than practice.
0 x
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

And another thing about Brafford, if we get him, maybe we could get his brother too.
0 x
KingstonLane
Cuttino Mobley

I say this tongue in cheek about Bradford, but it would be nice to get lebron too. Does anyone know the likelihood of actually landing him? Seems as if we’re all just dreaming in here
1 x
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

KingstonLane wrote: 2 years ago I say this tongue in cheek about Bradford, but it would be nice to get lebron too. Does anyone know the likelihood of actually landing him? Seems as if we’re all just dreaming in here
Although he probably will get a bunch of better offers, he hasn't yet. And supposedly he's going to visit Kingston. If we get him on campus, we have a chance, in my opinion.
2 x
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

Unread post by NYGFan_Section208 »

theblueram wrote: 2 years ago But stars don't matter say some on this board. 11 4* recruits. We are in a world of hurt right now. Cox has not landed 1 Top 100 recruit since he took over.
Yeah, but...apparently, Hurls still "hasn't done much" so.....
1 x
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

I feel UConn is in good hands with Hurley.
As I said in an earlier post, he is killing it on the recruiting trail and all the BE schools are taking notice.
I expect them to be a perennial power in the BE.
1 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

0 x
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

Top 100 wing chooses VCU, Alphonso Billups 4* recruit 6'7" SG/SF

Last edited by Jersey77 2 years ago, edited 2 times in total.
0 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

More and more top players will bypass college. Only the beginning.

0 x
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

Jersey77 wrote: 2 years ago Top 100 wing chooses VCU, Alphonso Billups 4* recruit 6'7" SG/SF

Future looking good for VCU and another Fatts in the A10.

0 x
rhodyblue12
ARD

Unread post by rhodyblue12 »

That decides it. I am getting VCU season tickets this year.
0 x
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

He was discussed awhile back in this thread, one of the top transfers that was still in the portal.

0 x
steveystuds06
Sly Williams

Unread post by steveystuds06 »

Good for VCU. A perfect example of an A10 program that doesn't make excuses and gets the job done! We can do that! Think Big!!!
2 x
ATTITUDE IS EVERYTHING
CamsRams
Tom Garrick

Unread post by CamsRams »

Any visits coming up for Skillings or Brafford?
0 x
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

CamsRams wrote: 2 years ago Any visits coming up for Skillings or Brafford?
Hopefully we hear something on Brafford, been quiet lately.

Skillings is probably out of our reach with all his P6 offers. On3 now has him ranked #40, both Rivals and 247 giving him 4*.
0 x
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

"Hardaway: NIL rules aided in Tigers #1 class."
https://www.espn.com/mens-college-baske ... ting-class
0 x
Ramulous
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Ramulous »

The death of the mid majors
0 x
F*ck Alacki, DarthFriar, DirtyBeanFriar94, xCoachK, Boxworth, Friar Faithful, bicycleicycle, Matt_Keough, Patrick Norton, the Rosato brothers, and especially Benjamin Lord !
STC
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by STC »

0 x
theblueram
Frank Keaney

Maybe it's just me, but I have lost so much interest in this program. Their are no recruits. I remember the JT thread. When we were all so invested. Now? The powers that be better get this team back on good standing.
1 x
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by rambone 78 »

If there are coaching issues here, I'm sure other programs will be quick to mention that to prospective recruits.

Just makes it tougher than it already is.
0 x
LoveThoseRams
Tom Garrick

Unread post by LoveThoseRams »

Really need a good commitment soon. Looks like all our top prospects are going in a different direction now :(
0 x