Our Logo

Talk about the men's team, upcoming opponents and news from around college hoop.
Rhodymob05
Tyson Wheeler

Our Logo

Unread post by Rhodymob05 »

Is anyone else slightly annoyed that the "rams" logo and recognition is nearly completely gone from marketing, jerseys and everything else? It doesn't make sense. It came to my attention last night looking at the LSU floor with the big tiger head on it. All we have is a mascot walking around. Its as if we are the URI Rhode Islanders. Bring the ram back! My dad got a sweater for Christmas and it has two logos, "URI" then the "RI" underneath, doesn't make sense. Maybe its just me.
0 x
GO RAMS
RoadyJay
Cuttino Mobley

Re: Our Logo

Unread post by RoadyJay »

The old Rams logo is terrible... looks like a skull.

Also, Rams does not distinguish us from a marketing perspective. There are other teams that are the Rams... TWO others in our conference (VCU and Fordham).

RI is where it's at!
0 x
Rhodymob05
Tyson Wheeler

create a new rams logo with keaney blue instead of a RI that looks like it was traced from a cookie cutter with a diagonal line through it. lol IT STINKS.
0 x
GO RAMS
Blue Man
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Blue Man »

As someone with the old logo tattooed on them...im ok with the new one. Its better for marketing and awareness...and the old one will become like a pat patriot nostalgic thing down the road
0 x
If you say you’re a Rhody fan, I know you are my brother. For you have suffered as I have suffered.

Give to the Athletic Director's Fund

Give to Rhody's NIL
section(105)
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by section(105) »

Maybe Athletics needs a design a new logo contest?
0 x
Ram logo via Grist 1938
RhodyRams12
Jimmy Baron

Unread post by RhodyRams12 »

I did not like the ram...i am much happier with this years logo and uniforms
0 x
Common sense is not common.
theblueram
Frank Keaney

Unread post by theblueram »

And while we're at it, get rid of the mascot and bring Rhody back.
0 x
section(105)
Ernie Calverley

Old Rhody vs. new/current Rhody? Don't care just get some juice going!!
0 x
Ram logo via Grist 1938
bressler3south
Carlton Owens

Unread post by bressler3south »

section(105) wrote:Maybe Athletics needs a design a new logo contest?
This was suggested during the late-spring/early summer when the discussion was about the floor, marketing, etc., perpetrated by the RISD guy's sudden appearance -- and then -- sudden disappearance….

:shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock:
0 x
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

Unread post by TruePoint »

We've had this discussion before. It's about branding and I'm fine with it, but the Ram logo was one of the best in all of sports in my opinion (not sure where RhodyJay is coming from with the skull thing). I'd like to still see it used internally.
0 x
"If you build it, they will come." --Us, circa 2011
Rhodymob05
Tyson Wheeler

Its just repetative. And honestly you wouldn't have a clue to what our mascot is if you're from outta town. The old ram wasn't pretty but just redesign it. Market by mascot not MORE letters.
0 x
GO RAMS
bressler3south
Carlton Owens

Unread post by bressler3south »

Maybe the new mascot/logo would be a holistic bracelet…..

:roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll:
0 x
Iggy1979
Sly Williams

Unread post by Iggy1979 »

Has anyone noticed the mascot never goes on the floor, not with the Cher team, not during promotional contests. Whats the reason for that?
0 x
"Every season, college basketball has one or two teams that rise from dormancy to relevancy, squads that make long-awaited charges at the NCAA Tournament and become really fun storylines along the way."
rodfromcranston
Frank Keaney

Unread post by rodfromcranston »

I get the RI thing for marketing to the yahoos in North Dakota and
Wyoming.
Bring back the Ram on some place on that floor. It was a GREAT logo.
Also, get rid of that cartoon lion and bring back the Frank Lanning Rhody mascot.
I think he doesn't go on the floor, because he smells funky.
Maybe the Ramettes and cheerleaders don't like that?
0 x
< Arthur is my spirit animal.
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by rambone 78 »

I agree about the Ram logo. Bring it back in some form.

It's WAY better than the VCU or Fordham logo.
0 x
Shinze88
Art Stephenson

Unread post by Shinze88 »

Our uniforms are horrendous, small time in every way, looked like they were put together by a local print shop overnight. Can we get our players names on the uniforms please? looks very small time when you cant tell who the players are, there were countless times in the SMU, Arizona and LSU games where the annoucers were getting our players confused. I dont know, but it just seems small time in every way, we look minor league.
0 x
rhodyfan3
ARD

Unread post by rhodyfan3 »

I don't want to change the uniforms again. I don't mind them at all. Give it a few years, do we really need 3 uniform changes in 3 years?
0 x
Rhodymob05
Tyson Wheeler

the uniforms are fine, I actually love them, although I'm confused on blue tone, its different than the blue on the RI on the shorts
0 x
GO RAMS
skwalk47
Jimmy Baron

Unread post by skwalk47 »

URI should have a contest/vote like the New Orleans Pelicans for a new mascot (or to keep the old)
0 x
URI BS '08 MS '11

NO LONGER waiting on my first NCAA appearance!
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

rhodyfan3 wrote:I don't want to change the uniforms again. I don't mind them at all. Give it a few years, do we really need 3 uniform changes in 3 years?
Seems like all teams that don't have really classic traditional uniforms change them every year when the apparel companies update their lines. I don't love or hate the current unis. Personally, I'd go back to our 1998 uniforms. That was our best team and our best uniforms.
0 x
NJRhodyFan
Jimmy Baron

Unread post by NJRhodyFan »

TruePoint wrote:
rhodyfan3 wrote:I don't want to change the uniforms again. I don't mind them at all. Give it a few years, do we really need 3 uniform changes in 3 years?
Seems like all teams that don't have really classic traditional uniforms change them every year when the apparel companies update their lines. I don't love or hate the current unis. Personally, I'd go back to our 1998 uniforms. That was our best team and our best uniforms.
Couldn't agree more...the '98 uniforms were the best. The lettering almost resembled Kansas...classic.
0 x
RhodyRams12
Jimmy Baron

Unread post by RhodyRams12 »

This is sort of off topic but I have to say, I absolutely despise the pregame warmup pullovers that they wear.
0 x
Common sense is not common.
rodfromcranston
Frank Keaney

Has anyone seen the weird gray warmups that the players wear?
When did we become Georgetown?
Did anyone notice the ugly unis UMass had on when they played PC?
Hideous gray and red things. They let PC wear home white. Odd.
0 x
ramfan85
Carlton Owens

Unread post by ramfan85 »

I really don't like the road unis. I would really like to see the '98 unis again. Looked sharp. Also want the ram logo again, not RI.
0 x
rodfromcranston
Frank Keaney

Is it me, or can you guys read the road numbers?
When the game isn't being called by the announcers,
it's hard to tell who is who. Our guards are all about the same
size and build. I could tell TJ, because he wore a sleeve.
0 x
billyjack
Frenchy Tomlin

Unread post by billyjack »

bressler3south wrote:
section(105) wrote:Maybe Athletics needs a design a new logo contest?
This was suggested during the late-spring/early summer when the discussion was about the floor, marketing, etc., perpetrated by the RISD guy's sudden appearance -- and then -- sudden disappearance….

:shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock:

Heh... yeah, I'm that RISD guy... I still browse this message board, but haven't posted in a while cuz I wasn't feelin the love on this board and felt like I was butting in...
:D

I think I had a half dozen recommendations, and got a pat on the head from posters, and then someone pointed to the door for me to leave...

Good game Saturday, things are looking up...!
0 x
section(105)
Ernie Calverley

I don't give a crap what the unis look like, at this point I only want the winner within....
0 x
Ram logo via Grist 1938
theblueram
Frank Keaney

Unread post by theblueram »

Iggy1979 wrote:Has anyone noticed the mascot never goes on the floor, not with the Cher team, not during promotional contests. Whats the reason for that?
I think someone finally told him he is not a Ram, but some cartoon lion. Now he has identity issues.
0 x
Cameron_Dollar
Lamar Odom

Unread post by Cameron_Dollar »

section(105) wrote:I don't give a crap what the unis look like, at this point I only want the winner within....
You may not care but recruits do. When they are visiting, I'm sure they envision themselves in the uniform of the team of which they are visiting. There are some really nice uniforms out there, even worn by some of the smaller schools. I think an opportunity was squandered this year. Thorr gave Dan the keys to the program. He could have opted for a little more style. As for the names on the back of the uniform; when Indiana omits them it's a statement. When smaller schools omit the name, it looks small time. At the risk of being called a troll again, I think UMASS' grey alternate uniform that they wore against PC were terrific. Those alternate uniforms are often raffled off at the end of the season and can more than pay for themselves.
0 x
Seawrightspostgame
Sly Williams

Unread post by Seawrightspostgame »

"Anchor down" Vanderbilt. I think Arizona has a huge anchor outside the football stadium. All our academic buildings have an anchor on them.

They use RI because they want to represent the state. Ppl like PC because the name is providence and most ppl in RI live in and around it.

I hope they continue the RI but adding an anchor element to our whole thing wouldn't hurt. Keep the ram.

Auburn has the tiger. War eagle. And Bo Jackson. We can have a few things going on at one time. It's ok.
0 x
I want to change my name to BlockIslandFerry
Rhodymob05
Tyson Wheeler

I just want to see the ram included more somewhere somehow I don't care how or where
0 x
GO RAMS
twisted3829
Carlton Owens

Unread post by twisted3829 »

nm
0 x
NOT IN OUR HOUSE
Shinze88
Art Stephenson

Unread post by Shinze88 »

Cameron_Dollar wrote:
section(105) wrote:I don't give a crap what the unis look like, at this point I only want the winner within....
You may not care but recruits do. When they are visiting, I'm sure they envision themselves in the uniform of the team of which they are visiting. There are some really nice uniforms out there, even worn by some of the smaller schools. I think an opportunity was squandered this year. Thorr gave Dan the keys to the program. He could have opted for a little more style. As for the names on the back of the uniform; when Indiana omits them it's a statement. When smaller schools omit the name, it looks small time. At the risk of being called a troll again, I think UMASS' grey alternate uniform that they wore against PC were terrific. Those alternate uniforms are often raffled off at the end of the season and can more than pay for themselves.
+1000

I loved the alternate UMass uniform used for the pc game. I also like pc's grey look as well. Couldnt agree more with no player names on the jerseys also. Small time, we are not Notre Dame, Penn State (pre 2012), Indiana or UConn women.. PUT THE PLAYERS NAMES ON THE JERSEYS, its not lost on the recruits either, dont think they notice the gear of the schools recruiting them.
0 x
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by rambone 78 »

My guess is they will be on them next year.
0 x
hrstrat57
Sly Williams

Unread post by hrstrat57 »

OK ranto"ram"a time

Don't like the lettering on the current unis....I want "Rams" written in script on the home unis. No player names on the whites. Numbers below the "Rams" script.

On the road I want old school RHODE ISLAND block letters, number in the middle. Player names on the back (road unis only) I also wouldn't mind seeing the Harrick era navy road unis as an alternate. Those were super cool IMHO.

I also like the Ram, small logo somewhere on the floor (once is fine) and on the pants both home and away unis, located lower near the knee area.

There fixed it.

Next!!
0 x
We're gonna run the picket fence at "em.....now boys don't get caught watchin' the paint dry!
hrstrat57
Sly Williams

Unread post by hrstrat57 »

Incorporating a cool "anchor" somewhere would be ok with me too but our friends at RIC might not want their logo on our floor or unis....just sayin'..............

BTW did they just loose to Johnson and Wales? How does that happen???
0 x
We're gonna run the picket fence at "em.....now boys don't get caught watchin' the paint dry!
Rhodymob05
Tyson Wheeler

You're right it would deffinitly interfere with ric
0 x
GO RAMS
Rhode_Island_Red
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Rhode_Island_Red »

While we're on the topic of uniforms etc., can we please get the Ramettes to dress like Ramettes?
0 x
Proudly supplying the Internet with online wisecracks, impertinent comments and loathing of all things mental hospital since 1996.
Rhodymob05
Tyson Wheeler

Has URI ever had an alternate jersey?
0 x
GO RAMS
OBRAM
Art Stephenson

Unread post by OBRAM »

rambone 78 wrote:I agree about the Ram logo. Bring it back in some form.

It's WAY better than the VCU or Fordham logo.

I vote for the Ram Logo to come back, I loved the logo on the old floor, love on hats, but it is hard to find a Navy hat with a Bright Rhody blue Logo on the front. Nothing is wrong with the logo.
0 x
sf2010
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by sf2010 »

I am a HUGE fan of the ram logo, and agree that it should remain a part of the program in some capacity, though I totally get the move towards the RI for branding purposes.

I love the design of the ram, and agree that it is far superior to any other ram logo out there (those often seem too cartoonish)
0 x
RF1
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by RF1 »

I have no problem with the Ram being used for the athletic teams. I however strongly feel that the name RHODE ISLAND should be the most prominently used moniker for branding purposes. I would try to discourage formally using the acronym URI as some are not familiar with what it stands for (more outside the state).

I would like RHODE ISLAND to became like MICHIGAN for the Universtiy of Michigan Wolverines. Most all merchandise for their athletic teams primarily employ MICHIGAN. I feel that this practice helps bond the school with the state and would hope that something like that might occur in RI.
0 x
adam914
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by adam914 »

Totally agree RF1. That should be the goal.
0 x
jcru
Sly Williams

Unread post by jcru »

If URI ever gets back to national prominence, they should drop the "I" in the logo.

Just like Michigan "M" and Arizona "A" the logo should just be a big, fat, in your face "R".

There is no other state out of 50 that starts with R so there should be no problem.

Anyone too stupid to figure out the full name of Rhode Island... that's their problem, because giving them the second letter probably isn't going to help them much.
0 x
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

Michigan is just "M" because its name is only one word and it starts with an "M". Rhode Island is two words, hence "RI".
0 x
jcru
Sly Williams

Unread post by jcru »

Why not RIAPP then?

It's actually five words.

I say, anything after the R is overkill. It's like the 1 digit license plate. It belongs to us, let's claim it.
0 x
jcru
Sly Williams

Unread post by jcru »

If you went to the DMV, and you could have "R" or "RI", which one would you choose?

If you could have "1" or "11" which one would you choose?

Why let some loser team like Richmond have the "R" when we have first dibs?
0 x
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

I don't get either of your points here, but we are RI. RI = Rhode Island. R = Rhode? No thanks. I'd always prefer to be "RI" to "R".
0 x
jcru
Sly Williams

Unread post by jcru »

The logo looks stupid. It's a deformed R with a smaller I in it. We already are Rhode Island, you don't have to stick with a weak logo to prove it. That's the point.

Having a R all alone is like sticking your balls in someone's face, just because you can.
0 x
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

No it isn't. I don't get why you think that. It makes no sense.
0 x