Week #9 - Games of Interest

Talk about the men's team, upcoming opponents and news from around college hoop.
Obadiah
Tyson Wheeler

Week #9 - Games of Interest

Unread post by Obadiah »

UMass continues to hold position in the latest polls issued today - #23 in the AP Poll and #22 in the USA Today Poll. George Washington garnered more votes in both polls this past week. Saint Louis is getting a vote in the USA Today Poll.

The composite record for URI OOC opponents stands at 87-84, 50.9%. The rivals with the best records are Arizona 13-0, Southern Miss 12-2, SMU 10-2, LSU 9-2, and PC 10-3.

In Monday night action, in the A-10:

Delaware at St. Bonaventure. This game is already underway and, at the half, the Bonnies lead 40-28.

Fordham at Siena.

Saint Louis looks to extend its winning streak to six as the Billikens take on Vanderbilt in Memphis. At 9 PM. On ESPNU.

In the OOC:

Bethune-Cookman at Detroit.

Maine vs. Chattanooga in the Dr. Pepper Classic.

New Hampshire at Towson.
0 x
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

Re: Week #9 - Games of Interest

Unread post by rambone 78 »

Obie, good job as usual.

Our top 5 opponents, a collective 54-9.

The rest? GAAAAACKKKKKKKKK!!!!!!
0 x
Obadiah
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Obadiah »

rambone, the OOC was extremely unbalanced - a lot of top teams and lots of very bad teams with only one or two in the middle. Better to have a more even distribution. Playing teams in the low 200's and high 100's RPIs would have provided better preparation for playing the top teams.
0 x
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

Let's hope that's what we see for next year's OOC.

Playing 300+ RPI teams does nothing to prepare us for anything.

15 OOC games, more or less. We should have 5 games against sub 100 RPI teams, 5 against 100-150 RPI teams, and 5 with 150-200 RPI teams. In a perfect world, of course. But something as close to that as possible.
0 x
RhodyRams12
Jimmy Baron

Unread post by RhodyRams12 »

Looks like game vs brown thursday night won't be televised
0 x
Common sense is not common.
Obadiah
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Obadiah »

St. Bonaventure beats Delaware, 80-73. The Bonnies led for practically the entire game, though the Blue Hens closed to within 6 with less than a minute left before they ran out of gas.

Siena down by as much as 13 in the second half came from behind to beat Fordham, 79-69. A Jon Severe 3-pointer with 12 minutes left in game gave Fordham its biggest lead of the game, but then Siena went on a 22-0 run over a seven minute period to take the lead they did not relinquish. The game drew a crowd of 6,131 to Albany's Times Union Center.

Saint Louis overcame a 6 point deficit at the half to beat Vanderbilt, 57-49. SLU's record moves to 12-2. SLU has only a home date versus Yale before the Billikens make the trip to Kingston to take on the Rams and seek revenge for last year's startling loss to URI.

Detroit in a romp over Bethune-Cookman, 73-53.

Maine could not hold its half time lead and the second half was nip and tuck all the way before the Black Bears fell to Chattanooga, 86-80.

Towson handed UNH its 10th loss of season, 72-64.
0 x
rodfromcranston
Frank Keaney

Unread post by rodfromcranston »

Severe was 5-20. While he's averaging 20ppg. he's shooting around 35% after tonight's game.
John Rothstein said he has no conscience and shoots only when he has the ball.
0 x
< Arthur is my spirit animal.
SGreenwell
Sly Williams

Unread post by SGreenwell »

rodfromcranston wrote:Severe was 5-20. While he's averaging 20ppg. he's shooting around 35% after tonight's game.
John Rothstein said he has no conscience and shoots only when he has the ball.
Well, it would be tough for him to shoot without the ball, you know ;) But I think what you meant is that every time he touches the ball, he shoots, right? He's on Fordham, so he has a pretty good shot at putting up gaudy scoring average for four years before making his way over to Europe...
0 x
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

I took Maine +10.5 at Chatanooga winner !!
0 x
Obadiah
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Obadiah »

Last night there was 15 or so games between D1 schools and D2, D3, NAIA schools, etc. Many of these games are recorded as exhibition games for these lesser schools, but regular season games for the D1 schools and all of them resulted in routs by margins often more than 40 points. But last night saw the most outrageous mismatch when Southern beat Champion Baptist College 116-12, a game where the score was 44-0 with 5 minutes left in first half!

One of the reasons behind why these games are scheduled at all is the difficulty of mid major D1 schools in finding teams to fill out their schedule. You would think the NCAA, in the interest of the parity they so often preach about, if not fairness, would step in and develop a policy to control the situation. Instead we get crickets.
0 x
Obadiah
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Obadiah »

A-10 action on this last day of 2013:

Richmond at Northeastern.

Binghamton at St. Joseph’s.

George Washington at Kansas State. This will be GW’s sternest road game so far this season.

In the OOC:

Seton Hall at PC.

Montreat at UNC-Asheville.
0 x
ramfan85
Carlton Owens

Unread post by ramfan85 »

Any chance we play Champion Baptist next year?
0 x
RF1
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by RF1 »

ramfan85 wrote:Any chance we play Champion Baptist next year?
Will be a premiuim home OOC game. Goal will be to limit them to below 10 points.

(Champion Baptist lost to Southern 116-12)
0 x
adam914
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by adam914 »

Obadiah wrote:Last night there was 15 or so games between D1 schools and D2, D3, NAIA schools, etc. Many of these games are recorded as exhibition games for these lesser schools, but regular season games for the D1 schools and all of them resulted in routs by margins often more than 40 points. But last night saw the most outrageous mismatch when Southern beat Champion Baptist College 116-12, a game where the score was 44-0 with 5 minutes left in first half!

One of the reasons behind why these games are scheduled at all is the difficulty of mid major D1 schools in finding teams to fill out their schedule. You would think the NCAA, in the interest of the parity they so often preach about, if not fairness, would step in and develop a policy to control the situation. Instead we get crickets.
Interesting Deadspin article about this very subject...

http://deadspin.com/southern-wins-baske ... 1492035274
0 x
Shinze88
Art Stephenson

Unread post by Shinze88 »

Seton Hall overcomes pc in what might have been the worst officiated game I've seen in years. The refs did everything in their power to ensure a pc victory, but the Pirates hung tough to get the W. Bryce Cotton is one remarkable player, guy hits clutch shot after clutch shot.
0 x
Obadiah
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Obadiah »

GW faltered in its trip to Kansas State, losing 72-55. Other than the first 10 minutes of game, KSU led comfortably throughout the remainder of game. GW who had been averaging 77 points per game was held to their lowest point total of season and worst FG shooting at 34%.

Richmond held off a rallying Northeastern, 72-55.

St. Joseph's trounced Binghamton, 71-44.
0 x
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

I agree about the PC game. From the end of regulation thru both OT's, absolutely ridiculous calls [or no calls] favoring PC.

Other than Cotton, they had nothing, but it's tough to win when you're playing 5 on 8, but SH did it.

Speaking of Cotton, I know he's good, but how the hell does he play EVERY MINUTE of every game [all 50 tonight] and not get in foul trouble once in a while?

But I will say this about that game: Both teams shot FT's like we could only dream of, especially late in crunch time.
0 x
rodfromcranston
Frank Keaney

I thought that was a pure attempted rape job against Seton Hall.
Now, they lead through the entire second half. Somehow, they never got into even the one and one
in the second half.
Meanwhile anyone who breathed on Cotton got whistled for a foul.
That's how PC caught up.
At the end of the first OT, a Seton Hall player drove to the basket as time ran out.
He was clearly tripped by two PC players, and nothing was called, leading to a second OT.
In that stanza, the refs called goal tending AND a foul on a shot by Cotton.
Well, the replay showed the ball wasn't even touched by the Seton Hall player.
Gift three points.
What a disgusting display of piss poor officiating. As bad as I've ever seen.
Give PC credit for never quitting, though. They are a mentally tough, well coached team,
that seldom wilts in the clutch.
0 x
RhodyRams12
Jimmy Baron

If only we could shoot free throws like them...we may have 10 wins right now.
0 x
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

We would have won the PC and Detroit game with better FT shooting.

9-4 is a lot better than 7-6 any way you look at it.

Rod, you saw the same things I did. That was pathetic officiating. I listened to Rooke and Hassett post game, and not one mention of the gifts.

I mean, the PC defender stuck out his hip and leg, the SH player went down in a heap injured, and no mention of it. Amazing. The goaltending call was bogus, and the defender never even got CLOSE to Cotton.

IF EC ever gets to Cotton's level, we've really got something.
0 x
RhodyRams12
Jimmy Baron

Yeah I watched the PC v SH game as well...that goaltending/foul call was awful.
0 x
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

Granted, Cotton's a great player, but even LeBron wouldn't have gotten that call.

When does URI ever get calls like that, at the end of a close game?
0 x
RhodyRams12
Jimmy Baron

URI doesn't. It goes the opposite way for this team, just look back to last game when there was a goaltending called on EC when I think it was clearly a block.
0 x
RhodyRams12
Jimmy Baron

Also it looks like the game vs Brown will not be televised as well as the LSU game due to the change in start time
0 x
SGreenwell
Sly Williams

Unread post by SGreenwell »

rambone 78 wrote:Speaking of Cotton, I know he's good, but how the hell does he play EVERY MINUTE of every game [all 50 tonight] and not get in foul trouble once in a while?
Because of the role he plays on offense, and because (I believe) PC plays a lot of zone, I don't think he's asked to be a lockdown defender. He averages about a steal a game despite the huge minutes he plays, which is a bit on the low end, and Draft Express' profile on him mentions that he's more of a good than great athlete. Fouls are mostly picked up on the defensive end. (Note - I think that like URI, PC doesn't have a great amount of depth, and that if the options behind Cotton were better, he would probably be asked to play more aggressive defense, and thus pick up more fouls.)
0 x
seanmc94
Tom Garrick

Unread post by seanmc94 »

rodfromcranston wrote:I thought that was a pure attempted rape job against Seton Hall.
Now, they lead through the entire second half. Somehow, they never got into even the one and one
in the second half.
Meanwhile anyone who breathed on Cotton got whistled for a foul.
That's how PC caught up.
At the end of the first OT, a Seton Hall player drove to the basket as time ran out.
He was clearly tripped by two PC players, and nothing was called, leading to a second OT.
In that stanza, the refs called goal tending AND a foul on a shot by Cotton.
Well, the replay showed the ball wasn't even touched by the Seton Hall player.
Gift three points.
What a disgusting display of piss poor officiating. As bad as I've ever seen.
Give PC credit for never quitting, though. They are a mentally tough, well coached team,
that seldom wilts in the clutch.
Rod,

You are talking out of your a$$. SHUs pg played the final 14 minutes with 4 fouls covering Cotton m2m and never got a whistle. Pirates big guy mauled batts in OT; including an elbow above the shoulders. Batts got the 5th foul call. Cotton got killed the whole game. Should have had at least 30 fts; according to the way they are supposed to call things.

Watch the whole game and tell me you think PC got the benefit.
Having said that, you can't piss away a 3pt lead with 8 seconds left
0 x
Warning: area protected by guard donkey
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

Let's put it this way, Sean:

The refs stink. Hassett even said so himself on air during the game.

The officials are almost universally bad in college BB right now. Not enough good ones to go around. The players have gotten too big, too strong, and too fast for them to keep up, new rules or not. Same for all [or most] major sports.

PC may have gotten the short end of some calls earlier, but at the end they were getting all the calls.
0 x
bressler3south
Carlton Owens

Unread post by bressler3south »

Rod,

"You are talking out of your a$$. …..Having said that, you can't piss away a 3pt lead with 8 seconds left"

Tsk, tsk, tsk…
Goodwill toward all men????
The writer is obviously not a visual thinker and is caught between two worlds……..
:lol: :oops: :roll: :lol: :oops: :roll: :lol: :oops: :roll: :lol:
0 x
rodfromcranston
Frank Keaney

I watched the entire game, and the refs were a joke!
The TV commentators said as much throughout the game.
The goaltend was a joke! The last play in the first OT was a joke.
The fouls called that put let Cotton live at the line and get PC back into the game were a joke.
How is a team that lead the entire second half, not in the one and one
until the final seconds?
0 x
seanmc94
Tom Garrick

The goaltend was a bad call; but when I saw it live, I thought he touched it.
The refs were inconsistent; but they gave SHU way too much leeway in my opinion. Again, cotton went to the basket the entire ot and his guy doesn't pick up a foul? Please
0 x
rodfromcranston
Frank Keaney

Well, on TV ,they showed replays on several calls, mostly going against Seton Hall.
They weren't shy about saying most of the breaks went to PC.
Cotton had nine free throws. Seems like someone was fouling him.
0 x
rhodyram81
Michael Andersen

Unread post by rhodyram81 »

Did anybody notice that PC had six players on the court shortly after the phantom foul/goaltend was called? Willard had his arms stretched out wide basically saying WTF and bringing it to the attention of the refs, but no call was made and the 6th player (maybe Bancroft or Goldsbrough) ran off.
0 x
Obadiah
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Obadiah »

The first day of the New Year and there is some limited action to enjoy today.

Only A-10 game is Winthrop at Dayton.

Also,

Charleston at Davidson.

SMU at Cincinnati. At 6 PM. On ESPNU.
0 x
seanmc94
Tom Garrick

rhodyram81 wrote:Did anybody notice that PC had six players on the court shortly after the phantom foul/goaltend was called? Willard had his arms stretched out wide basically saying WTF and bringing it to the attention of the refs, but no call was made and the 6th player (maybe Bancroft or Goldsbrough) ran off.
It's not an infraction until the ball is put in play. Deff a head scratcher.
0 x
ATPTourFan
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ATPTourFan »

UMass treads water at that 22 spot in the polls. Sure enough as soon as they lose one A10 game they'll be out.
0 x
Support Coach Miller & Rhody Basketball! Give to the Athletic Director's Fund
rhodyram81
Michael Andersen

Unread post by rhodyram81 »

Sean, I thought you might be right about the ruling on 6 players on the court, but I dug into some research and it appears a tech should have been assessed.
0 x
rodfromcranston
Frank Keaney

Maybe Cooley pulled his goalie?
0 x
ramfan85
Carlton Owens

Unread post by ramfan85 »

rhodyram81 wrote:Sean, I thought you might be right about the ruling on 6 players on the court, but I dug into some research and it appears a tech should have been assessed.

Just as well. They probably would have called it on SH for only having 5 players on the floor.
0 x
seanmc94
Tom Garrick

rhodyram81 wrote:Sean, I thought you might be right about the ruling on 6 players on the court, but I dug into some research and it appears a tech should have been assessed.
I was under the impression that the offensive team would be immediately called for the infraction; but the defensive team wasn't penalized until the ball was in play. could be wrong.
0 x
Obadiah
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Obadiah »

Today’s results.

Dayton beat Winthrop, 81-47 on some hot shooting and domination of the boards. The Flyers outscored Winthrop in the paint, 46-12.

Davidson lost at home to Charleston, 76-64. Charleston showed some hot shooting both from the field and the charity strip where they put in 20 of 30 attempts. Davidson, in contrast, hit on only 9-20 FT’s.

In their inaugural AAC game SMU lost at Cincinnati, 65-57. SMU was down only six with less than 2 minutes to go but Cincinnati put in critical FT’s in the last minute to ice the win. Cincy won this game at the FT line as they had 31 attempts versus 9 for SMU. Nic Moore who had a hot 20 points against the Rams earlier this season was held to 9 points and committed 4 TO’s.
0 x
Obadiah
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Obadiah »

Also of note, Harvard handed BC its 10th loss of the season as the Crimson easily defeated the Eagles, 73-58. Harvard led all the way, had great shooting from the field and FT's - putting in 23 of 28 FT attempts.
0 x
adam914
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by adam914 »

Saw a stat that Harvard has now won 7 in a row against BC. Pretty amazing, but its clear who the better program is.
0 x
Obadiah
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Obadiah »

Not much action tonight.

In the A-10, in addition to URI at Brown:

Appalachian State at Duquesne.

Pennsylvania at George Mason.

Only OOC opponent in action:

SE Louisiana at McNeese State.
0 x
Obadiah
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Obadiah »

Last night, A-10 went 3-0. In addition to URI win, Duquesne easily beat Appalachian State, 79-55 and George Mason holds off Penn, 80-77.

Holy mackerel, McNeese State wins its third game of the season, beating SE Louisiana, 69-60. BTW, just how many public universities are there in Louisiana??!!

Limited action tonight. In the A-10:

Georgia at George Washington.

Stony Brook at VCU.

Should be another 2 wins for the conference.

Also, Drexel at Southern Mississippi.
Last edited by Obadiah 10 years ago, edited 3 times in total.
0 x
Iggy1979
Sly Williams

Unread post by Iggy1979 »

Don't sleep on Stony Brook!
0 x
"Every season, college basketball has one or two teams that rise from dormancy to relevancy, squads that make long-awaited charges at the NCAA Tournament and become really fun storylines along the way."
Obadiah
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Obadiah »

GW moves their record to 12-2 with an easy win over Georgia, 73-55. The Colonials have a perfect 7-0 mark on their home court.

After a close first half, VCU blasts Stony Brook, 81-63.

In another game marked by a close first half, Southern Miss turned on the jets as second half started and built their lead to 26 points before easing up on the gas to beat Drexel, 66-49.
0 x
rodfromcranston
Frank Keaney

"shoots only when he has the ball" - um, that's supposed to be a joke...........
0 x
Obadiah
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Obadiah »

Lots of action today as many conference conclude the OOC portion of their schedule.

In the A-10, in addition to URI at LSU:

Denver at St. Joseph’s.

Richmond at #12 Florida.

Yale at Saint Louis.

Miami (OH) at UMass.

Dayton at Ole Miss.

Cornell at St. Bonaventure.

La Salle at Penn.

George Mason at Old Dominion.

Among URI OOC opponents:

Sacred Heart at UNH.

UConn at SMU. Go Mustangs!

Ohio at UNC-Asheville.

Wright State at Detroit.

New Orleans at McNeese State.

North Carolina A&T at Charlotte.
0 x
rodfromcranston
Frank Keaney

UConn is making SMU looks pretty tame, right now.
Michigan State bombing Indiana by 15 with about 15 minutes to go.
0 x
TexRam
Marc Upshaw

Unread post by TexRam »

rodfromcranston wrote:UConn is making SMU looks pretty tame, right now.
Michigan State bombing Indiana by 15 with about 15 minutes to go.
SMU pulling away in the 2nd half at their new arena. This team is dangerous - big, with the exception of Nic Moore who can hit from outside.

Sent from my HTC6500LVW using Tapatalk
0 x