Game #13: Southern Mississippi - Saturday Dec 28 @ 2pm

Talk about the men's team, upcoming opponents and news from around college hoop.
ramster
Frank Keaney

Game #13: Southern Mississippi - Saturday Dec 28 @ 2pm

Unread post by ramster »

Southern Miss has the best record in the 16 Team Conference USA to date; 11-2 record.
They are a veteran team.
The most frequent starters and the top 5 ppg players are:
Watson - SR
Craig - SR
Bordingham - SR
Brooks - SR
Brown - JR (transfer from Temple)

URI currently ranked #263 RPI, Southern Mississippi ranked #39
section(105)
Ernie Calverley

Re: Game #13: Southern Mississippi - Saturday Dec 28 @ 2pm

Unread post by section(105) »

I/ll be interested to see the spread.......double digit dog??
Ram logo via Grist 1938
RoadyJay
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by RoadyJay »

Not exactly an impressive list of victories for So Miss.

If we play a complete game we should have a shot to beat these guys. It's going to happen at some point. Would be nice if this was the game we put it all together.

Should be a fun day... Don't forget to head down to Charlie O's before the game for the Keaney Blue PreGame Party from 11:30AM-1:00PM

Chris Simon, owner of Charlie O's, is very excited to host us and has agreed to give us access to a special $3.99 appetizer menu. He also said that our first beer is free (I'm sure you could substitute soda for a beer if you are not drinking).

The options from the $3.99 menu are:
-Cheeseburger sliders w/fries
-Personal Pizza - cheese or pepperoni
-Chicken Teriyaki Dumplings
-2 Hot Wieners w/meat sauce
-Potato Skins
-Chicken Quesadillas

The menu also offers:
-$.35 Wings - buffalo or plain
-$.35 Corn Dog Poppers

Charlie O's opens at 11:30am so we are planning to be there from 11:30am-1:00pm. Game against Southern Miss starts at 2:00pm.

Looking forward to seeing as many of you there as possible! Should be a good time.

Saturday, December 28th, 2013 11:30AM-1:00PM
Charlie O's
2 Sand Hill Cove Rd, Narragansett, RI 02882
zporiri
Steve Chubin

Unread post by zporiri »

pretty soft schedule so far for southern miss, depaul is one of their most impressive victories...

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/basket ... en-eagles/
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

I will guess So Miss by 4
neil
Art Stephenson

Unread post by neil »

I agree with Jay. maybe this will be our smu game from last year. Hoping...
Iggy1979
Sly Williams

Unread post by Iggy1979 »

Not a big team. Hopefully they play man to man and we can pound the ball.
"Every season, college basketball has one or two teams that rise from dormancy to relevancy, squads that make long-awaited charges at the NCAA Tournament and become really fun storylines along the way."
skwalk47
Jimmy Baron

Unread post by skwalk47 »

Southern Miss may be RPI 39 but I like kenpoms ratings way better. His adjusted rating has them at 76 http://kenpom.com/ and URI at 175. Implied from his ratings So Miss is a +6ish and URI is a dead even so the line would be 6 on a neutral, prob So Miss -4 @ URI. Also the higher RPI rating and record might draw some public action and drive it up to the 6-7 range where there might be a tad bit of value on URI. I dont really love these home games over break as a bet-on spot but I would have to look at URI +7 or more (and maybe SMU -2 or less :( )
URI BS '08 MS '11

NO LONGER waiting on my first NCAA appearance!
bressler3south
Carlton Owens

Unread post by bressler3south »

Iggy1979 wrote:Not a big team. Hopefully they play man to man and we can pound the ball.
No offense, but to whom????????????????? (Depending upon your pronunciation!!!!!!!)
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Last edited by bressler3south 10 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by rambone 78 »

If they've scouted us, they will play zone. That's if they play zone at all. Some teams don't.

Teams will do that until we start making outside shots consistently.
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

Unread post by TruePoint »

Any coach who doesn't zone us should probably lose his job.
"If you build it, they will come." --Us, circa 2011
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

TruePoint wrote:Any coach who doesn't zone us should probably lose his job.
Hurley said after the UNH Game that 80% of the teams have played us Zone.

I expect that to go to 100%. Our games are slowing down accordingly.

The Points per Game is dropping, which is going to hurt me in the Prediction Contest where I guessed 68.5, we have now dropped down to 67.8.
Last 4 games we have scored 61,50,70,62.
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

From now on, we're going to see a lot of close, or fairly close, low scoring games. Just like last year.

Got to start making more FT's and layups.

Coach says we make our FT's and layups in practice and scrimmages. So why doesn't that translate to the games?

Pretty simple really. More pressure, especially late in games. Lack of concentration, with the crowd noise [especially away games]. Also, making layups against our second team is a lot easier than making them against a more determined, talented opponent.

They can practice FT's and layups until the cows come home, and fail in games unless/until they get tougher mentally. That's what Dan wants. That's what we want. Someday, it'll come.
Iggy1979
Sly Williams

Unread post by Iggy1979 »

There are coaches who play man regardless of the opponent. I'm hoping URI has some of them on the schedule!
"Every season, college basketball has one or two teams that rise from dormancy to relevancy, squads that make long-awaited charges at the NCAA Tournament and become really fun storylines along the way."
Shinze88
Art Stephenson

Unread post by Shinze88 »

I would also expect us to play more zone defense as well. With the way the game is being officiated coupled with our thin front court, you'd think we would mix in more zone defenses.
Obadiah
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Obadiah »

Southern Mississippi reflects two themes recently expressed on this board – the use of transfers and rod’s phrase on substitution patterns – “a Chinese fire drill”.

On transfers, USM’s 13 man roster includes two transfers from D1 schools – Minnesota and Temple, and seven transfers from community colleges. Last year USM was described as one of the least experienced teams in the nation but got to the NIT. This year, having lost their leading scorer and rebounder, they are also considered as inexperienced; that may be true as a team, but not exactly accurate on an individual to individual basis.

USM coach Donnie Tyndall, now in his second year, uses lots of players in his rotation. No matter if the game is a rout or a close contest, it is common for 8-9 players see double digit playing time. So a “Chinese drill” substitution pattern is likely given that depth/bench is viewed as a USM strength.
section(105)
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by section(105) »

And our "Chinese fire drill" would exactly be described as what a strength or weakness? Just asking...
Ram logo via Grist 1938
Ram Stampede!!!
Jimmy Baron

Unread post by Ram Stampede!!! »

Relax guys...we're on this ride and there is no turning back now!

How They Match-Up

The Southern Mississippi Golden Eagles are 4-2 on the road. In some ways they are not that different from this years Rhody team. On November 29th the golden eagles were BLOWN OUT by #9 Louisville 69-38 much like the Rams suffered a loss at the hands of current #1 in the country Arizona in the NIT season tip-off (89-58). Also much like URI, they have yet to win against a truly solid opponent. So. Mississippi defeated both Depaul and North Dakota St. on the road early on in the season. But just recently lost to a descent Western Kentucky team on the road by 3 after failing to complete a comeback (being down by 9 with under 5 mins to play). Also much like the Rams the Golden Eagles struggle at the free throw line so far this season:

Free Throw % (ESPN)
So. Miss: 66.3%
Rhody : 66.2%

Having a home advantage in this game is VITAL and just may turn into the best game of the season thus far! Why? Because these teams are POLAR OPPOSITES! Southern Miss shoots the ball better than Rhody:

Shooting % Avg (ESPN)
So. Miss: 46.6%
Rhody : 43.0%

Advantage: So. Miss

But the Rams are a very strong defensive team and do a particularly well job guarding the 3 pointer. OF A COMBINED 265 SHOTS ATTEMPTED THIS SEASON BY Neil Watson, Aaron Brown and Jerald Brooks (of So. Miss) 154 WERE 3-POINTERS. 55 OF 154 WENT IN (good for 35.7%). These 3 MUST be guarded with caution.

So how can the Rams gain an advantage on this 11-2 So. Miss team? ...one word...

REBOUNDING!!!

Despite losing Mike Aaman(6feet 8in) and Jordan Hare (6feet 10in), to off campus issues for the time being... The Rams SOMEHOW have remained a solid rebounding team:

Avg. # of Rebounds this season (ESPN):

Rhody : 37.7/game (103rd overall)
So. Miss: 33.8/game (257th overall)

Advantage: Rhody

But what makes the difference in the final score and who wins?

The Rams are averaging only 67.8 points per game. But their defense and rebounding should close the gap between the two teams as the Golden Eagles avg 71.5 points. That and the fact that the Rams ate 6-1 at home. It WILL be a tight game but the bottom line is that the Rams D + REBOUNDING will close the scoring gap at home, in the Ryan Center, PERIOD!

Final score (Crystal Ball): 68-64 RAMS
Rhody will pass this important test with the W.

7-1 @ Home here we come!!!!

RNN
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

This is a winnable game. Make our FT's and miss less layups, and it might happen.

With their experience, don't want to see it come down to the last couple of minutes. Would be at a big disadvantage there.
Ram Stampede!!!
Jimmy Baron

To win vs a seemingly solid/consistent team like S.M. might be just what the team needs to get some traction and confidence!
Ram Stampede!!!
Jimmy Baron

@CDiSano44: A10 fans may remember Aaron Brown former Temple Owl. He's now a Golden Eagle, averaging about 10ppg for USM. Key contributor on 11-2 team.
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

This would be a nice win !!
Obadiah
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Obadiah »

Some further input on this Southern Miss team.

* Blue Ribbon selected USM to finish 3rd in C-USA.

* RPI USM 40, URI 269. According to RPI, this will be no contest.

* Guards Neil Watson and Jerrold Brooks give USM a top backcourt. Watson plays point, but is also a scorer.

* Watson is the team's leading scorer at 11.9 ppg. There are four other scorers who are averaging 9+ points per game.

* Their two losses were in a rout to Louisville, 69-38 and a close road loss at Western Kentucky, 68-65.

* Supposedly rebounding and interior defense were early concerns, but so far the Golden Eagles have out rebounded 10 of their thirteen opponents.

* They will take the three . Brooks put in 74 last season. Their 3-point shooting is variable, 2-11 in the big loss to Louisville, but 9-19 in the W. Kentucky loss. On average a good shooting team.

For URI to win, the Rams must play a strong defensive game, improve ball handling and minimize turnovers, and have strong rebounding leading to second chance points and a strong transition game.
Rhodymob05
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhodymob05 »

what makes them rpi 40 again? lol
GO RAMS
Ram Stampede!!!
Jimmy Baron

Im getting kinda sick of all the lack of faith in this team. Yeah there have been a lot of ups and downs this season but honestly if the wind blew the other way Rhody could easily be 10-2 and in the same exact position as Southern Miss. We won the last one and I think we have a really good shot of getting the W here too.

Show some faith in your team and have their back... we waited for this all year. Let's see how the season plays out...people jumping ship before mid season with a +.500 record for the first time in 3 years. You make me sound like an old man giving advice to an inexperienced youngster lol STOP MAKING ME OLD
Rhodymob05
Tyson Wheeler

I'm in full belief of this team. I know from watching them that their potential hasn't been reached yet. At times it has but not for a full game. Ive seen bad teams just unable to perform on the same level as this team has. Consistency and chemistry is still in the works and Ive seen it at times and they'll continue to mold. I like this team. They can beat so Miss
GO RAMS
theblueram
Frank Keaney

Unread post by theblueram »

Numbers were better against UNH except for FG% at 42% (43.1% for the year) and turnovers with 16(14.3 per game). FT% is still abysmal (66.7% against UNH). They had 14 assists which is over three better than their average prior. They rebound very well. The key to winning tomorrow is assists at the same level or better, FG% at 50% or better, and turnovers under 10. They get sloppy on their passes mid game, and it translates into to's and points. No lack of faith, but at some point they need to step up and play a good team for a win. I hope tomorrow starts it off.
rodfromcranston
Frank Keaney

Unread post by rodfromcranston »

I put my money and my lungs, where my mouth is. I have three season tickets
and have been to every game, and every event, except the Moe's one.
There's a difference between reality, commenting on what we're seeing, and being some polypurebred pink hat,
saying everything is wonderful.
I think the future is bright, but slower than we expected.
Our own coach says much the same.
I don't get giddy over Hare coming back, because he's not. I didn't get carried away about Alex Murphy, because he was going to Florida from day one, and his glancing at PC and URI were some courtesy of a sort.
On the other hand, I'm not aligned with the chicken little doomers, either.
I've also been around enough to realize basketball is a game of matchups and comparing stats is
pointless. That's why you play the game.
Ask all the experts who unanymously picked the Ravens over the Pats last week, about that.
< Arthur is my spirit animal.
Ram Stampede!!!
Jimmy Baron

Well I don't have tons of money and I do live out of state...but I am trying to get into town to see this game.

Not sure who your calling a "polypurebred pink hat". But I was born a Rhody fan and have been going to games since my cerebellum formed around 1985.

I just want to have fun with it. I guess anyone can deal with the ups and downs whatever way they want to.
theblueram
Frank Keaney

Unread post by theblueram »

I like stats. They give me insight into a teams strengths and weaknesses. We are bad at turnovers and FG%. Southern Miss is #5 in steals, and #28 in scoring defense. That gives me pause. They are however worse than us in FT% at 64.9%, so send em to the line when we have the chance! We need to protect the ball, make crisp passes, and finish the plays with the ball in the rim.

oh and an edit, I want to see at least one player stuff the effin ball into the basket like he wants to take the rim off the gd backboard!

(pardon my french, not to mean any disrespect to the french (see what we have to deal with in this country these days, sheesh))
Ram Stampede!!!
Jimmy Baron

Anyone seen the spread on this game yet?
CT Rhody
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by CT Rhody »

4 point dogs for URI
Ram Stampede!!!
Jimmy Baron

Just found this, not a bad breakdown...
http://linemakers.sportingnews.com/matc ... sland-rams
Rhody72
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Rhody72 »

I haven't seen 40 minutes of good basketball even against D2 opponents or the dregs of D1. As the roster diminishes so does the chances of this happening. The #1 problem is the shooting of the basketball. We shoot badly which gives shooters no confidence which makes player reluctant to shoot which makes us hold the ball and force bad shots or commit turnovers with the shot clock expiring. I have hope that EC will be our savior. Keep shooting EC!
NCAAs or Bust!
CT Rhody
Cuttino Mobley

This would be our first top 150 RPI win of the season. I'm still hopeful.
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

Hey Rod! Chicken little doomer! You talking about ME?????

Seriously, if you've read my posts recently, I think you can see that I've backed away from the ledge a bit.

I agree with everything you just posted, about the present situation and the future. I've hitched my wagon to the promise of much better things ahead for this program.

I still think Dan, Preston and the gang will get it done on the recruiting front. That's the premise of what I'm going by, going forward.

This year's struggles will hopefully be looked at fairly soon, as just a bump in the road on the way to success.
Last edited by rambone 78 10 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
The Dude
Tom Garrick

Unread post by The Dude »

In my opinion, Southern Miss has played a very soft schedule. Even the Depaul victory isn't that good. Depaul's wins are weak as well.
I think URI has a good shot at winning this game.
"Emancipate yourselves from mental slavery, none but ourselves can free our minds!" - Marcus Garvey
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

The Dude wrote:In my opinion, Southern Miss has played a very soft schedule. Even the Depaul victory isn't that good. Depaul's wins are weak as well.
I think URI has a good shot at winning this game.
PROJO today has the spread at Southern Miss -5

Dude,
Going by RPI and the Teams each has played with RPI below 150:
Southern Miss has played 6 teams: North Dakota State 36, Louisville 33, Jackson State 118, Depaul 138, Morehead State 150 and Western Kentucky 102
URI has played 4 teams: SMU 63, Arizona 12, PC 87 and Detroit 127

Teams played with RPI over 300:
Southern Miss: None
URI: Maine 327, UMASS Lowell 339 and UNH 333

My biggest fear for today's game is the experience of the Golden Eagles. They start 4 Seniors and a Junior with a transfer year (could be called a Senior).
This is a talented team that could win C-USA this year.

My biggest hopes for an upset today come from:
- Gil who has two consecutive double-double games and looks to be playing with more and more confidence. Against UNH he was a beats on the boards, securely grabbing rebounds and making good outlet passes. He was also aggressive at gaining defensive position. I relly like how his game is coming along.
- EC is a better player than he has shown of late so I expect a breakout game from him soon and today could be the day. I'd love to see him break out for 20 points today.
- Biggie showing what he can do now with the Playing Time. With MP gone this reduces some tension for Playing Time and allows Biggie to play with even more confidence. Biggie had some nice passes against UNH. One beauty where he found Gil down low for an easy 2. Out PG's for the past several years have not possessed the passing skills of Biggie.
- Hassy continuing his improvement. 12 blocked shots in the past 3 games - and dominating blocks at that. His defense is improving as is his confidence on the floor. Would love to see a 5 block, 8 rebound, 12 point, 25 minute performance from him today.

I like Rhody's chances for a win today to offset the loss to Detroit.
Obadiah
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Obadiah »

Although students are away on break that shouldn't stop the Ryan Staff from getting creative on how to boost attendance for these holiday games. For example at UMass, from Dec 14 to Jan 14 they will offer free student ticket admission to non UMass students and all you have to do is show a valid student ID from your school. This is perfect for kids home for the holidays and looking for the things to do.
Rhodymob05
Tyson Wheeler

Uri has to advertise around south county more. Outside of campus and minus a few bars. There is NO recognition of rams athletics.
GO RAMS
CT Rhody
Cuttino Mobley

Unfortunately it will take a consistent winning product to build up brand recognition. Which is why it's important Dan gets this thing turned around quickly and then stays around 3-4 years after to maintain that consistent successful product.
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by Billyboy78 »

Chris DiSano ‏@CDiSano44 1h
URI Asst @L_Murr will join me on @CoxSports live spreecast 2day at 1pm on http://coxsportsonline.com . Tweet ur Qs using #URIMBBChat. @RhodyMBB
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

This Sean Salisbury-looking ref is the worst.
RhodyRams12
Jimmy Baron

Unread post by RhodyRams12 »

Does anyone else have lines on the left side of the screen watching the osn broadcast
Last edited by RhodyRams12 10 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
Common sense is not common.
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

The Southern Miss coach is funny shaped.
twisted3829
Carlton Owens

Unread post by twisted3829 »

rforte, yes and they're driving me nuts
NOT IN OUR HOUSE
RhodyRams12
Jimmy Baron

Unread post by RhodyRams12 »

Me too. I hope they fix it during halftime
Common sense is not common.
Seawrightspostgame
Sly Williams

Unread post by Seawrightspostgame »

I would like more uri advertising presence. I always wondered why they didn't hang big poster type deals on the sides of buildings. MANY schools do that. So far not bad today.
I want to change my name to BlockIslandFerry
CT Rhody
Cuttino Mobley

Ugly second half performance so far. I never imagined we would be this bad..
bressler3south
Carlton Owens

Unread post by bressler3south »

"…or BUST."