Game #4: Metro State - NIT Tip-Off - Monday Nov 18 @ 8pm ET

Talk about the men's team, upcoming opponents and news from around college hoop.
ATPTourFan
Frank Keaney

Game #4: Metro State - NIT Tip-Off - Monday Nov 18 @ 8pm ET

Unread post by ATPTourFan »

The Rhode Island Rams on Monday night will play their opening round game in the 2013 NIT Season Tip-Off event vs the Metro State Roadrunners of NCAA Division II. Last year, the Roadrunners had a decent season, missing the DII national championship by 1 point and finishing with a modest 32-3 record.

The Rams and Roadrunners join the Fairleigh Dickinson Knights as guests of the University of Arizona (#6 AP / #5 Coaches) at the McHale Center (14,545 capacity), which looks like this when Sean Miller's Wildcats play:

The winner of URI/Metro St will almost surely face host Arizona assuming the 'Cats aren't stunned by the Knights in a game set to begin shortly after Dan Hurley's Rams complete their opening round game. You can watch Arizona play on ESPNU and online via WatchESPN.

View the full NIT Season Tip Off tournament bracket (PDF).

Media Notes from URI Athletics:
http://static.psbin.com/g/i/99faezriylqre8/04-Metro.pdf

Live Coverage:
Video: A Live Free Internet-Only stream has been set up:
http://new.livestream.com/accounts/5943 ... T2013Game1

Radio: You will be able to listen live on B101 FM and online here:
http://www.iheart.com/live/3217/?autoplay=true

Live Stats: ESPN Gamecast
0 x
Support Coach Miller & Rhody Basketball! Give to the Athletic Director's Fund
Rhodymob05
Tyson Wheeler

Re: Game #4: Metro State - NIT Tip-Off - Monday Nov 8 @ 8pm

Unread post by Rhodymob05 »

I can't wait. And according the NIT bracket, this game wont be televised but the second round would be on ESPN U. All games available online through espn watch. I don't want to look past this game too much to jinx it but I'm excited to possibly play ZONA

http://www.ncaa.com/news/basketball-men ... -tip-field
0 x
GO RAMS
ATPTourFan
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ATPTourFan »

To clarify, all game broadcasts will be available via WatchESPN, but there is no broadcast scheduled of the Rhody-Metro game. If Rhody does face Arizona, that game will be available online via WatchESPN and ESPNU. If Rhody loses, there will be no TV for their game vs Fairleigh Dickinson (assuming FDU doesn't beat AZ).
0 x
Support Coach Miller & Rhody Basketball! Give to the Athletic Director's Fund
RoadyJay
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by RoadyJay »

Just arrived in Tucson. Can't wait!!
0 x
RoadyJay
Cuttino Mobley

Lively campus. There was a football game here today. AZ lost to Washington St. Great college atmosphere here.
0 x
RoadyJay
Cuttino Mobley

By the way... Metro State won again today

http://gometrostate.com/news/2013/11/16 ... ath=mbball
0 x
RhodyRams12
Jimmy Baron

Unread post by RhodyRams12 »

Is it game time yet?!
0 x
Common sense is not common.
RoadyJay
Cuttino Mobley

I'd like to know how they scouted this team
0 x
NJ03
Lamar Odom

Unread post by NJ03 »

Is anyone else aside from me insanely pissed that we have to play a D2 team? This is the ultimate lose-lose situation. If we end up losing this game then ultimately Rhody traveled 3000 miles to play a D2 team and Fairly Ridiculous.
0 x
jcru
Sly Williams

Unread post by jcru »

Yep
0 x
Rhodymob05
Tyson Wheeler

I think its just how the ball dropped. Rhody is the 5 seed so we were gonna play a lower seed. But yea it sucks. Lets just win then its zona time.
0 x
GO RAMS
jcru
Sly Williams

Unread post by jcru »

If they beat Metro St by one and then keep Zona within 20 it's basically like two wins.
0 x
bigappleram
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by bigappleram »

Everybody is pissed we have to play a D2 team, especially our coach who has said it in interviews on a couple of occasions already. Its just a bad break but the kids have to deal with it, playing a top 10 team should be enough incentive to push us over the edge against a great D2 team.
0 x
Ashcat
Steve Chubin

Unread post by Ashcat »

It’s kind of weird how Metro State is referring to their two NIT games as “exhibition games” in both the post -game write up and on their web site schedule. Does this mean they get a pass when they get beat by a Division I team?
0 x
jcru
Sly Williams

Unread post by jcru »

Pissed for good reason. If you win, it impresses no one, if you lose, it's a dagger. It's the preseason NIT's answer to the old 8/9 game, because these two teams are probably very evenly matched and people will be rooting for the underdog. If we win, earn the right be trounced by the number one seed on their home floor.

The only potential positives are not overlooking M.S., squeaking it out, and keeping zona respectable, and using that experience to further mature the team.
0 x
twisted3829
Carlton Owens

Unread post by twisted3829 »

Ashcat wrote:It’s kind of weird how Metro State is referring to their two NIT games as “exhibition games” in both the post -game write up and on their web site schedule. Does this mean they get a pass when they get beat by a Division I team?
Yes it won't count in their record but it will count in ours
0 x
NOT IN OUR HOUSE
jcru
Sly Williams

Unread post by jcru »

I'm sure there are fewer things in this world that Metro State loves better than beating div 1 teams of URI's current level who don't bring their A game.
0 x
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by rambone 78 »

Will it count in ours? Playing a D2 should not.

But I agree, it's a lose-lose for us.
0 x
ramfan85
Carlton Owens

Unread post by ramfan85 »

I don't understand why a div.2 team is even in this thing.
Last edited by ramfan85 10 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
0 x
rodfromcranston
Frank Keaney

Unread post by rodfromcranston »

Because it's such a shitty tournament that they couldn't
find enough D-1 schools. Fact.
0 x
< Arthur is my spirit animal.
Seawrightspostgame
Sly Williams

Unread post by Seawrightspostgame »

I get that these guys play great basketball, disciplined, fundamental basketball, which is very tough to stop.

But they are not some team that plays in the low levels of D-1 basketball, like there are 345 division 1 basketball teams and they are not 1.

So believing that we are not near the bottom of that 345 team pool and they obviously are not in that pool, we should dominate.

Too much hype around this team, RIC was an annual sweet sixteen team in div 3 in years past and we destroyed them every time.

Our strength will show in skill, athleticism, or size, or all three. Our power will show somewhere and we will win.
0 x
I want to change my name to BlockIslandFerry
rjsuperfly66
Carlton Owens

Unread post by rjsuperfly66 »

rambone 78 wrote:Will it count in ours?
D2 teams do not affect RPI but count towards total record. I believe the MWC was called out last year because rather than playing bad D1 teams (games that should be easy wins but would negatively affect RPI), they had teams scheduling multiple bad D2 teams because in the end it's easy W's and keeps their RPI's on the stronger side . However, naturally if you do lose, it's still going in the bad loss category regardless.
Last edited by rjsuperfly66 10 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
0 x
Smokinjimit
ARD

Unread post by Smokinjimit »

This is one of those classic set up games. Looking at the big game around the corner. No intensity, just looking to mail it in. Plenty of really good teams have fallen into this trap. I hope we come out with some intensity. If not we could very easily lose this game. Not to mention that if it is a close game everyone in the place will be rooting against us.
0 x
rodfromcranston
Frank Keaney

Unread post by rodfromcranston »

It'll be one of those deals where there's nobody in the crowd to begin
the game.
Then it will start filling up toward the end of the first game, and the home fans will
start rooting for the underdog.
I agree, this could be a trap game.
0 x
< Arthur is my spirit animal.
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

Dan is really worried about it. We will have to play like we did in the second half Friday night, for the WHOLE game, to win it.

I would put Metro State a notch above NC A&T, and 2 notches above Maine. It won't be easy.

I think EC will play 25-30 minutes. He needs to. Hopefully Biruta and X are closer to 100% also.
0 x
Rhodymob05
Tyson Wheeler

what if we just come out and cream this team. LETS BE POSITIVE
0 x
GO RAMS
jcru
Sly Williams

Unread post by jcru »

Seawrightspostgame wrote:Our strength will show in skill, athleticism, or size, or all three. Our power will show somewhere and we will win.

Here's the scenarios, Seawright:

1. "Not Bad" : Mirror image of last game. H. starts off with the idea of P. running the point for the first half, car drives like it is only running on 7 cylinders instead of 8, etc, etc, either tied at the break or not so far back that we can't catch them. Three amigos take over in the second half and pull away by 10. W.

2. Jesus H. : Two halves like that first one and URI somehow manages to win by 1, perhaps in OT. "Can you believe they barely beat a Div 2 team by one? Wow!"

3. Nightmare: See scenario 2 except they lose by 1-3 pts. "WTF? They lost in OT against a Div 2 team? They can't friggin close the deal against a Div 2 team? Really?"

4. Mass Hysteria: SMU lite, URI gets punked by about 15 definitively. H. has an aneurysm. Back biting, second guessing, paranoia, in fighting galore on Keaney Blue. Apologists say you can't judge after one game, Metro St is the greatest Div 2 team that ever took the court.
0 x
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

We need a scenario # 1A:

We actually play well, and win by 10-15. It's possible, really.

But you made a good point, if Dan insists on starting Powell, we could dig a hole that EC and co. can't get out of.

This MS team is disciplined. If we play fast and loose with the ball, we lose. If we rebound the way we can, and actually make a few 3's, we win.
0 x
jcru
Sly Williams

Unread post by jcru »

Like Puss & Boots in Shrek: "I can see already that are minds are becoming as one." <rubs hands together>

Yes, that was my point exactly.
0 x
jcru
Sly Williams

Unread post by jcru »

It also depends on what kind of game M.S. has. If you have scenario 2, and M.S. hits a much greater percentage of their shots than NCAT did = scenario 4.
0 x
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

Unread post by RhowdyRam02 »

I'm thinking this is more like scenario #1A. They are who we thought they were: We're a D1 team, they're a D2 team, the curbstomping begins early, continues throughout the game, and the late arriving Arizona crowd has no chance to get behind the underdog. Great, they almost won the D2 championship last year. NC A&T went to the real tournament last year. Why do we think Metro is better than that team? Hell, what reason do we have to believe they're better than Maine? Is it just because they had a much better record last year against much inferior opponents?
0 x
Take down the Robert Carothers banner and fix the concession stand lines
jcru
Sly Williams

Unread post by jcru »

That's the trap in a nutshell. I'm Div 1, you're Div 2, on paper I win.

Except, this isn't on paper, it's reality.
0 x
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

From what I've heard, they're patient and they get good shots. They are probably going to make a higher percentage overall.

We win by getting most of the boards, and making some 3's and shooting FT's well.

The first of that above is very likely, the second and third not so much.

Somewhere over the rainbow, we will have a game where we make 40% of our threes. It's gonna happen, somehow, somewhere. Maybe against PC?
0 x
RAM67
Art Stephenson

Unread post by RAM67 »

I'm in the corner that says we will do what we are supposed to do, and beat this team going away. You guys are way too negative.
0 x
DanInAZ
Jimmy Baron

Unread post by DanInAZ »

I will be there on Monday night with my Dad, brother, and friend. We will be in Section 14a (Lower). We are heading down around 3:00pm from Phoenix. Should be in Tuscon at 4:30 and are planning to grab a bite to eat at a local establishment before heading into the arena. If anyone gathers before the game, post something in this thread and I will see if I can steer our group there. :)

Tuesday night - Dad, nephew, and his friend in section 17 (Middle). Same thing applies as above.

Good luck Rams and all of you hitting the links! :) It should be just under 80 degrees both days... Mid to low 70s game time.
Last edited by DanInAZ 10 years ago, edited 2 times in total.
0 x
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

I'm of the opinion that right now, we don't know exactly what we're going to get from game to game with this team.

At times we'll look great, other times we'll struggle big time. Dan basically has said the same thing.

Later this season, I would think we'll be good enough to handle the Metro States of the world. Right now, not so sure.

There is some nice talent on this team. But not top to bottom, not yet.

The SMU game was a real eye opener. I believe now, that we needed that. Can only help down the road.
0 x
theblueram
Frank Keaney

Unread post by theblueram »

I don't think DH will let this be a trap game. I think the sting of SMU is going to drive this team for awhile. Add in the uncomfortable 1st half of the NCAT game and I think the team will respond. I think we will advance to play AZ.
0 x
jcru
Sly Williams

Unread post by jcru »

Well that is one school of thought.

The other school of thought is that Dan is going to continue to feel obligated to plug square peg (M.P) into round hole at the detriment of W's and L's. So, we'll see which one wins out.
0 x
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

If Powell continues to struggle, he'll sit. He's not going anywhere. I don't think there's any promise of playing time in this situation.

Dan has said many times, PT will be based on merit. If he starts and struggles again, he'll be out of the game earlier. If that happens, and we still end up winning the game, I doubt you'll see Mike play much against Arizona.

He's destined to be the backup PG. I said that last year, and nothing has changed.
0 x
Obadiah
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Obadiah »

This Metro State team is really a mystery. But here is what we do know:

• Experienced team, starts two seniors, two juniors and a freshman.

• Their season began this past Friday in a tournament; also played on Saturday, so their game against the Rams will be their third in four days.

• Their record is 2-0 having won both games by comfortable margins. First game against TA&M- Kingsville was a rout, the second game against West Texas was a bit closer – WTAM was behind only by 7 with 12 minutes left in game.

• Metro showed good ball control in both games, turnovers were 10 and below.

• Not a huge team, start two guys at 6’9”, and center Will Sinclair who come off the bench is another 6’9”. At 250 lbs Sinclair appears to be a banger
• The starters got the bulk of the PT in both games. Only reserve to see major minutes was Sinclair. In their first game, starters made 62 of the 73 points and in the second made 58 of 65. So indications are team is not deep.

• Guard Brandon Jefferson and center Nicholas Kay are good foul shooters with the team averaging about 70%.

• Metro outrebounded both opponents, but by not large margins, 32-23 over TAMK. 22-19 over WTAM.

• On three point shooting, Metro put up 5-17, and 3-7. Brandon Jefferson does most of the damage in this aspect; he is 6-15 so far.
• Despite a later start than URI, Metro appears to have a set rotation whereas URI has a larger group of capable players with some rotation experimentation is still going on.

Basketball analysis is highly contingent on the level of the competition, so how much we can get out Metro’s games to date is questionable, so I will leave that to those reading this post.
Last edited by Obadiah 10 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
0 x
Rhody74
Sly Williams

Unread post by Rhody74 »

I think Dan will have the team prepared. They'll win by 10.
0 x
Slava Ukraini!
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

Get a few of their starters in foul trouble, and it looks good for us. We're much deeper.

EC and Biggie should drive on them.
0 x
Iggy1979
Sly Williams

Unread post by Iggy1979 »

I think Hurley is starting to settle on a rotation. You have the five starters, and then Mathews, Minnis and Martin seeing good minutes off the bench, and ten TJ and Amaan getting minutes based on matchups and foul trouble.
0 x
"Every season, college basketball has one or two teams that rise from dormancy to relevancy, squads that make long-awaited charges at the NCAA Tournament and become really fun storylines along the way."
jcru
Sly Williams

Unread post by jcru »

This is one of those situations where you wish a particular player would just hurry up and graduate.

This Jim Baron remnant that Hurley is now saddled with is clogging up the works, preventing the cream from rising to the top. H obviously can't just not play him, else he'll threaten to leave. But, now, we get to witness the stomping when he gets sat down on the bench, Preston coming over to console him, etc. I can't stand when one player is a diva and thinks they are entitled to something and are more important than the team winning.

Two years from now, when H has all his own players in here, this team will be tough to beat, from minute one to minute 40.
0 x
RIFan
Carlton Owens

Unread post by RIFan »

If the fans are Arizona fans, then I expect them to root for us...they shouldn't want to play a D2 either.
0 x
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

It's a tough balancing act, because the one thing that keeps Dan up at night, is the possibility that the APR issue could derail the progress that would otherwise happen.

Nightmare scenario: We finally have the talent to Dance next year, but can't. So in the short term, the coaching staff has to walk a fine line for the time being. I would say we'll be out of the woods starting next year, but this year means everything academic wise.

Not only would we lose out on the NIT or NCAA tournaments next year, our recruiting would be adversely affected for a couple of years. If that were to happen, there won't be any Dancing for this program for several years to come.

EC, Hassan and others wouldn't be too happy if that happens. Personally, I think the worst that would happen is a loss of a scholarship or two, which wouldn't kill our chances but wouldn't help them either. That's as of now. If something else were to happen, like another player leaving, well.......
0 x
theblueram
Frank Keaney

Unread post by theblueram »

jcru wrote:This is one of those situations where you wish a particular player would just hurry up and graduate.

This Jim Baron remnant that Hurley is now saddled with is clogging up the works, preventing the cream from rising to the top. H obviously can't just not play him, else he'll threaten to leave. But, now, we get to witness the stomping when he gets sat down on the bench, Preston coming over to console him, etc. I can't stand when one player is a diva and thinks they are entitled to something and are more important than the team winning.

Two years from now, when H has all his own players in here, this team will be tough to beat, from minute one to minute 40.
Don't blame the player. MP gives all he has. The talent will eventually come.
0 x
bressler3south
Carlton Owens

Unread post by bressler3south »

Without getting philosophically stupid about the game with D-II Metro State, the bottom-line is this: URI had better win. If it's by 50, 15, or 2.
It's like on the playground: You play to win to keep playing no matter whom you're playing.
Enough. 8-) 8-) 8-) 8-) 8-) 8-) 8-)
0 x
adam914
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by adam914 »

jcru wrote:This is one of those situations where you wish a particular player would just hurry up and graduate.

When did anybody stomp when they got sat on the bench? I never saw that...
0 x
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

Unread post by TruePoint »

What in God's name are you talking about? How can someone that considers himself a fan of the program write this kind of garbage about one of our players? The kid gives everything he has for the program, and you're going to go after him personally because you don't think he's played well? The idea that the kid is a diva isn't even tethered to reality. The program would be better off without fans who say dumb shit like this.

And where is the talk about players leaving coming from? Why is that something you're worrying about now, Rambone? This has to be the most neurotic fan base in America. You're posting about nightmare scenarios about APR and players leaving the program in a game thread. That doesn't even make any sense.
0 x
"If you build it, they will come." --Us, circa 2011