Top Freshmen

Talk about the men's team, upcoming opponents and news from around college hoop.
ace
Ernie Calverley

Top Freshmen

Unread post by ace »

#22 on Borzello's list of top 30 freshmen is of particular interest.

Ok, it's EC, on a very good list of players

http://www.cbssports.com/collegebasketb ... 0-freshmen

22. E.C. Matthews, RI
Vitals: 6-5 | G

Comment: Head coach Dan Hurley thinks Matthews can play in the NBA, and given the early returns from practice, it sounds like Matthews is poised for a big year. The lefty will put up numbers.
0 x
ace
Ernie Calverley

Re: Top Freshmen

Unread post by ace »

Moving to under the radar freshmen from Rothstein, check out Hassan

http://www.cbssports.com/collegebasketb ... r-freshmen

Hassan Martin, F Rhode Island: An incredible athlete, Martin is up to 230 pounds and should be an immediate factor for Dan Hurley's team. Expect to see a lot of the 6-7 freshman alongside Rutgers transfer Gilvydas Biruta in the Rams front court this season.
0 x
rodfromcranston
Frank Keaney

Unread post by rodfromcranston »

Such nice things to look forward to!
0 x
< Arthur is my spirit animal.
seanmc94
Tom Garrick

Unread post by seanmc94 »

What's everyone's read? Is he getting handed the keys by conference play?
0 x
Warning: area protected by guard donkey
Miramfan
Michael Andersen

Unread post by Miramfan »

I am pumped and ready to see this young team in actions.
0 x
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by Billyboy78 »

seanmc94 wrote:What's everyone's read? Is he getting handed the keys by conference play?
I still say he starts day 1.
0 x
SmartyBarrett
Sly Williams

Unread post by SmartyBarrett »

I think Martin starts before Matthews. Just a hunch.
0 x
rodfromcranston
Frank Keaney

No, Hurley will bring him in 3 guard situations and substitute PG and SG
situations at first.
Biggie or Mike will start. EC will make it impossible for him to be not starting,
after a few games.
He should get plenty of playing time before he starts, anyway.
0 x
ace
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by ace »

seanmc94 wrote:What's everyone's read? Is he getting handed the keys by conference play?
If you mean starting at the point, then no.
0 x
ATPTourFan
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ATPTourFan »

Yeah, who cares about starting. I agree that Mike Powell will likely be game 1 starter, but might not even have the most minutes at the point by the time they leave Arizona (hopefully with tickets to MSG!).
0 x
Support Coach Miller & Rhody Basketball! Give to the Athletic Director's Fund
adam914
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by adam914 »

If I had to guess, I would say yes. We'll see how it all plays out on the court though.
0 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

adam914 wrote:
If I had to guess, I would say yes. We'll see how it all plays out on the court though.
Mathews will start from Day 1. He started either the first half, second half or both in Italy. The kid is very talented, could argue that he is the best player on the team right now, never mind in the future. We want to have the best team on the court from Game 1, why wouldn't we, and Mathews is simply that good already.

I'd expect:
Mathews
Biruta
Munford
Hare
Martin or Minnis - probably Minnis but Martin could grab this starting spot he is that good. Minnis is very good too.
0 x
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by rambone 78 »

I would expect Powell to start the first couple of games, but then give way to EC.

Biruta, Hare, X, Martin, and Mathews will be the best 5 when the games get tougher.
0 x
CT Rhody
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by CT Rhody »

I don't see them playing a three big guy linup very often unless Martin has better SF skills then we think. Three guards plus appear to be all the rage these days.
0 x
Rhody74
Sly Williams

Unread post by Rhody74 »

I think it depends on EC's defense. He had a lot to learn.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk
0 x
Slava Ukraini!
rodfromcranston
Frank Keaney

Biggie is a pure PG, with not much shooting
ability. Dan loves Biggie, who is a lockdown defender.
Remember, the St. Anthony's philosophy is, disrupt/ destroy the other team's PG,
and the rest of the team dies.
Only locks for starting are Munford and Biruta.
For a better barometer, let's see who Hurley has finishing
the games, early on.
That will show you who he trusts in crunch time.
This is a very deep team, and a guy like Reischel could surprise.
If we face a big physical team, Oneykaba could start.
How anyone can say who's best in crunch time, without having seen even an exhibition game, is beyond me.
I doubt Dan has a definite idea, right now. Some guys look like world beaters in practice,
and disappear when the buzzer goes off.
Hurley has a very different problem that he had last year.
He has to keep all these players happy, and find the combinations
that work best.
How long the shakedown cruise lasts, is anyone's guess.
0 x
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by Billyboy78 »

I think Reischel starts at the 3.
0 x
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

One of the best things about this team, is that Dan will be able to mix and match depending on the matchup issues with each opponent.

Go small, go big, go 3 guards or 3 bigs, all that stuff and much more. One thing's for sure, if some guys don't want to play D, they'll sit. That's a HUGE difference from what we saw for so many years.
0 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

rambone 78 wrote:I would expect Powell to start the first couple of games, but then give way to EC.

Biruta, Hare, X, Martin, and Mathews will be the best 5 when the games get tougher.
Are you saying Powell starts because of seniority?
Mathews is the best Freshman coming into the A10, I can't imagine he won't start and be in the top 3 in minutes played per game.
Martin can shoot the 3 ball very nicely, not just an inside guy so easily could have Mathews, Minnis, Munford or Martin outside with Hare and Biruta banging inside.
0 x
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

I would say that's possible. Powell looks like he's improved his shot quite a bit, and he's got the best handle on the team, although EC will pass him by at some point. As long as he's fresh, he's an asset to the team. We saw what happened last year, when he got tired. That won't happen this year.

His main issue will be his lack of size on D, depending on the other team's PG.

EC will play more minutes going forward, and most likely start before long. He's got that huge upside that Mike doesn't have, and that's nothing against him of course, just a fact.

Just saying that Powell will get some PT, how much we don't know yet. One's thing's for sure, the amount of PT for all, will be determined by performance, not seniority.
0 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

rambone 78 wrote:I would say that's possible. Powell looks like he's improved his shot quite a bit, and he's got the best handle on the team, although EC will pass him by at some point. As long as he's fresh, he's an asset to the team. We saw what happened last year, when he got tired. That won't happen this year.

His main issue will be his lack of size on D, depending on the other team's PG.

EC will play more minutes going forward, and most likely start before long. He's got that huge upside that Mike doesn't have, and that's nothing against him of course, just a fact.

Just saying that Powell will get some PT, how much we don't know yet. One's thing's for sure, the amount of PT for all, will be determined by performance, not seniority.
simple question rambone,
who is better right now Powell or Mathews? not 2 months or 6 months out just right now?

If Powell starts it won't be for Mathews it will be for Minnis or someone else imho. This team is much more talented than last year's team, much more
0 x
rodfromcranston
Frank Keaney

Hare doesn't bang. Oneykaba does.
0 x
RoadyJay
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by RoadyJay »

It doesn't matter what any of us think but this is what we do here. :)

I say Powell is your starting PG. I know EC was promised the opportunity to come in here and be a PG but I believe this won't happen right away.

I just don't see EC as the floor general for this team right away. Especially early in conference play. Over time he can develop into our PG.

He may still start but that will mean they go with 3 guards... Powell, X, Matthews

Can't wait to see how this all plays out!
0 x
ramfan85
Carlton Owens

Unread post by ramfan85 »

The fact that everyone here seems to have a different starting lineup shows how versitile this team should be. It's been a very long time since there have been so many questions about who should start and get the most playing time. It's all good.
0 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

EC played PG in Italy with no issues at all, clearly showed to be a leader of the team and very talented.
If anyone plays PG instead of Mathews it will be Minnis, not Powell imho
0 x
SmartyBarrett
Sly Williams

Unread post by SmartyBarrett »

ramster wrote:Mathews will start from Day 1. He started either the first half, second half or both in Italy.
Same with T.J. Buchanan. Not sure there's much to read from that. More of Dan just trying to get E.C. some game action than anything else IMO.
0 x
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

I hope we play a 40 minutes of hell philosophy and I think we will. We are deep I see a 10 man rotation, cant wait
0 x
ATPTourFan
Frank Keaney

Surprised you think Butler could start before some of the deep talent we have at guard, Ramster. The vibe some of our best media is getting on Butler is that he's situational -- definitely not a started or someone who will get a plurality of minutes.
0 x
Iggy1979
Sly Williams

Unread post by Iggy1979 »

There's no way Hurley has one of the top freshman in the country on the bench when the ball is thrown up. Think about that. However, I don't know that he's ready for the point. My guess: Powell, X, EC, Biruta, Hare.
And u heard it here first: EC and Martin being more ready than the coaches expected will hurt Reischel
0 x
"Every season, college basketball has one or two teams that rise from dormancy to relevancy, squads that make long-awaited charges at the NCAA Tournament and become really fun storylines along the way."
rodfromcranston
Frank Keaney

"And u heard it here first: EC and Martin being more ready than the coaches expected will hurt Reischel"
I've been thinking the same thing.
Reports are Reischel is the best two way player in practice, but ultimately,
will he have the talent to keep Hassan Martin on the bench?
0 x
Seawrightspostgame
Sly Williams

Unread post by Seawrightspostgame »

I think DH has an interest in starting EC and EC flourishing. It will give him something to point to in recruiting. Meaning he can say that he has coached a kid up and put him in the NBA as a frosh or soph... you know like the big dogs.
0 x
I want to change my name to BlockIslandFerry
RAM67
Art Stephenson

Unread post by RAM67 »

Seawrightspostgame wrote:I think DH has an interest in starting EC and EC flourishing. It will give him something to point to in recruiting. Meaning he can say that he has coached a kid up and put him in the NBA as a frosh or soph... you know like the big dogs.
You can't be suggesting that EC is one and done, are you?
0 x
rodfromcranston
Frank Keaney

No, Andre Scott was one and done, according to Jerry D.
He was, but not the way Duh thought.
0 x
bigappleram
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by bigappleram »

ramster if you define PG as the guy who brings the ball up court and initiates the offense then EC did not do much if any of that in Italy. he was largely playing off the ball, with the majority of the time Mike or Biggie doing the bulk of the traditional PG duties. i see that playing out for at least the first part of the season. as rod alludes to, Dan really likes Biggie and the things he can do from a playmaking and defensive standpoint. mike p has seniority, a ton of experience, and can be an offensive threat at times from the PG position on a team that doesnt have a ton of perimeter shooters. i see EC potentially being handed the keys this year, but in due time and def not right away. i see him being used off the ball at first allowing him to adjust to the pace of the game and to take advantage of what he is great at right now, scoring the basketball and getting in the lane. running a team is not his forte at this point i would say. it is rare for a freshman PG to run the show on a good team, and i think we have the potential to be a good to very good team. when tyson and silk were running the show from day 1 it was because our teams stunk and we had no other options. that is not the case with this team, and i think DH will see it the same. maybe i am wrong. EC is not a one and done guy, he has ample time to naturally grow into the role of PG. with the way college basketball is going these days the traditional roles of 1-5 are being redefined, so call him whatever you want, he can be a 2G with a great handle and playmaking ability, a 3 in a 3-guard set, the 1, who cares as long as he is on the court.

seanmc, in short i see us using EC similar to how Dunn was used last year by your boys...on the court as much as possible and when it matters, but maybe not in the traditional role of a PG.

all of this is a great question to debate and a wonderful problem to have!!!!
0 x
Seawrightspostgame
Sly Williams

Unread post by Seawrightspostgame »

Not 1-and-done, but certainly guys that basketball people suggest are NBA prospects before the player plays 1 NCAA game are in the conversation for an early exit. By early exit I just mean not playing all 4 years.

the PG question? I think the PG label at the NBA level implies combo guard. He is heralded for scoring, clearly he just means to be a combo guard capable of creating offense for himself and others. Something that is a bit of a niche for the A10. I feel like most of our best teams for 10-15 years were dominated by a combo guard. Kid has great size.

Compared to Dunn last year? Idk I think the injury hurt Dunn. Tough to compare what I think EC is to what I thought Dunn was. Or what I hope EC is. I hope he cant be exposed offensively the way that Dunn was down the stretch (as only going right and a less than stellar defender due to his effort). Comparing in state is good but I like to think of EC as more like Simaj Cristianson of xavier. With an absolutely better cast of characters around him.
0 x
I want to change my name to BlockIslandFerry
bigappleram
Ernie Calverley

was not comparing EC to Dunn in terms of their skill sets or type of players they are, just in the way they were used. Besides the injury Dunn had Council in front of him last year, and no matter how good he was he wasnt going to be running the team from Day 1. the injury set that back further, but an all BE senior was not being pushed aside for a FR PG no matter how highly touted that FR was. so Cooley made sure Dunn was on the floor based on his raw talent, but not usually in the 1. i see the same for EC this year.

people are forgetting that it is extremely rare for a FR to dominate play, outside of the top 2-3 blue chip, one and done guys, most struggle to adjust and have ups and downs. i dont see any difference for EC, and thus i dont think DH will be willing to let the team ebb and flow b/c of inconsistent PG play.

the biggest difference that could impact the success of EC vs Dunn is his background. EC comes from a tough as nails town, and a league that is one of the best in the country. he wasnt even considered the best player on his own team and though not a late bloomer certainly increased his profile with a big time senior year. their is a certain hunger and toughness that comes from those roots. Dunn was likely the best player his age in CT for the majority of his life, big man on campus, big fish little pond. their is a certain entitlement that comes with that. that said i think Dunn is a great talent, and could be a ferocious defender and matchup nightmare given his physical tools.
0 x
Essam
Steve Chubin

Unread post by Essam »

In my conversation with DH in Italy he was very concerned with the amount of talent on the RI team and the fact that none of the team had ever not played and and in fact had all been the stars of their high school teams. He didn't want them to get discouraged and transfer. It was also very clear to me that there were 4 players who stood out and the rest were so close that you could make a case for them to start. THIS WAS BASED ON OFFENSE ABILITY ONLY. Not much defense was played in Italy.
DH asked me who my starter were and I told him the above but he did not comment and would not expect him too. I think you people are going to be pleasantly surprised when you see the 2013- 2014 Rams play.
0 x
ATPTourFan
Frank Keaney

Thanks for sharing that account, Essam!
0 x
bigappleram
Ernie Calverley

had a similar convo with him in italy, and the "transfer/guys getting discouraged" issue was a balancing act because it also has APR implications. i dont attest to know a ton about that formulation, but i dont believe we have a huge margin of error so it is something he has to manage. i believe getting to the first day of classes and having no departures though puts that to bed.
0 x
rodfromcranston
Frank Keaney

As I've said before, he's worried about the APR situation.
"We're Alcatraz! Nobody leaves!"
It also must limit who he can bring in. At least until the problem gets
resolved.
Thanks, CFL!
0 x
bigappleram
Ernie Calverley

told me they wanted to keep mccoy but literally couldn't, liked his potential and athleticism.
0 x
Rhody74
Sly Williams

Unread post by Rhody74 »

That would also explain why he's not in a rush to fill the last two scholarships. Bringing in two bench-warmers who think they're better than that would increase the chance of transfers.
0 x
Slava Ukraini!
Andrew
Jimmy Baron

Unread post by Andrew »

bigappleram wrote:told me they wanted to keep mccoy but literally couldn't, liked his potential and athleticism.
academic issues, right? liked watching him play, but we're obviously in good shape now.
0 x
Go Rhody!
Carl K Tortella
Abdul Fox

Unread post by Carl K Tortella »

Pappy Owens said that Biggie was an NBA prospect! The last time he told me that about one of the Ram's from Philly he was talking about a player by the name of Cutino Mobley!!!
0 x
rodfromcranston
Frank Keaney

Biggie has an NBA body, for sure.
He's going to have to hone his shooting to
make people notice him.
BAR, Hurley must've been talking to you about
a different McCoy that the McCoy he spoke to me about.
It was more like,"Don't let the door hit you on the way out!"
0 x
rodfromcranston
Frank Keaney

Wish I'd seen this one!
0 x
Gonebarongone
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by Gonebarongone »

Andrew wrote:
bigappleram wrote:told me they wanted to keep mccoy but literally couldn't, liked his potential and athleticism.
academic issues, right? liked watching him play, but we're obviously in good shape now.
That's interesting. If he was in academic trouble and the staff liked him, you would find any way you could to get his grades in order. The way APR is calculated, having a player who is academically ineligible AND leaves school is a huge hit. I guess it depends on how bad it was. Keeping an ineligible kid on the roster every year is a killer, too.
0 x
ramfan85
Carlton Owens

Unread post by ramfan85 »

Amos McCoy?
0 x
ace
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by ace »

Gonebarongone wrote:That's interesting. If he was in academic trouble and the staff liked him, you would find any way you could to get his grades in order. The way APR is calculated, having a player who is academically ineligible AND leaves school is a huge hit. I guess it depends on how bad it was. Keeping an ineligible kid on the roster every year is a killer, too.
It takes both sides wanting this to happen, though. Sometimes, it's better to take the initial hit (0/2) than to keep a guy who is likely to only get you 2/4 for the season. There is so little room for error with where this program was academically.
0 x
Rhody74
Sly Williams

Unread post by Rhody74 »

rodfromcranston wrote:Wish I'd seen this one!
If you read through his recent tweets, he's been taking in a lot of practices lately. Abu's doing his homework!
0 x
Slava Ukraini!