Rhody Madness 2013!!

Talk about the men's team, upcoming opponents and news from around college hoop.
Smokinjimit
ARD

Rhody Madness 2013!!

Unread post by Smokinjimit »

Don't miss the tip off of the 2013-14 Rhode Island men's and women's basketball seasons on Thursday, Oct. 17 as Rhody Madness returns to historic Keaney Gymnasium. The event starts at 9 p.m.

As the premier basketball tip off event for URI students and basketball fans, Rhody Madness will feature engaging and entertaining promotions with URI students and members of the Rams' men's and women's basketball programs. The night will be capped off with a slam dunk contest featuring members of the men's basketball team.

The event is free for all URI students and the general public. Students and fans are encouraged to get to Keaney Gym early to claim the best seats.

The 3rd Annual Rhody Madness event is presented by Dunkin Donuts, The Burger Shack, Rhode Island Blood Center, and the Mews Tavern.
[/color]

Highlights from last season's event:
0 x
rodfromcranston
Frank Keaney

Re: Midnight Madness?

Unread post by rodfromcranston »

Also, what ever happened to the event that was supposed to take place
this month at Olive's?
They cancelled the one in the summer and never rescheduled it.
0 x
< Arthur is my spirit animal.
twisted3829
Carlton Owens

Unread post by twisted3829 »

I don't think the full practice season has started yet, that starts in 22 days according to John Rothstein. I believe they are still on the summer practice limitations then on the 26/27 they can practice as much as they like. So expect midnight madness to be around then
0 x
NOT IN OUR HOUSE
Blue Man
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Blue Man »

I haven't heard anything about the Olives event...but I'm sure we'll hear something soon.
0 x
If you say you’re a Rhody fan, I know you are my brother. For you have suffered as I have suffered.

Give to the Athletic Director's Fund

Give to Rhody's NIL
rodfromcranston
Frank Keaney

I'll have to dig and find out.
0 x
EZBuckets
Jimmy Baron

Unread post by EZBuckets »

There will indeed be Rhody Madness again this year.

They just finalized the date and I'm sure it will be released publicly soon.
0 x
rodfromcranston
Frank Keaney

The Olive's event will not take place,
but something will happen similar in the fall.
Last edited by rodfromcranston 10 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
0 x
ATPTourFan
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ATPTourFan »

Rod, that's what I was hearing also. They will do something for season tix holders and active givers to celebrate the new season.
0 x
Support Coach Miller & Rhody Basketball! Give to the Athletic Director's Fund
rodfromcranston
Frank Keaney

Adam Schemm told me it will be announced some time soon.
Good!
0 x
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by Billyboy78 »

No word yet? It must be in the next two or 3 weeks, right?
0 x
Stop! Rammer Time
Kenny Green

Unread post by Stop! Rammer Time »

Rhody Madness will be Thursday October 17th at 9pm in Keaney. Recieved a small flyer about it last weekend at the football game.
0 x
bressler3south
Carlton Owens

Unread post by bressler3south »

Is there something Thursday, October 17th, at 9 p.m. at the Ryan Center?!?!?!?!?!?!?!? If nothing is scheduled, I have no idea why it wouldn't be the venue for Midnight Madness, a la, "THE PRE-ITALY TRIP OPEN PRACTICE." A great experience for any fan interested in URI basketball!!!!! Also, prospective recruits would probably rather see the Ryan Center….
0 x
EasyEdBrown
Jimmy Baron

Unread post by EasyEdBrown »

Because I'm guessing it's a combination of not wanting to pay to use the Ryan Center and the possibility of there being like...1200-1500 people there which looks like hell for a major basketball event.

Or maybe the Ryan Center is booked for something else (either a smaller event, or building maintenance).
0 x
"it makes me smile knowing the A10 is doomed" --Brutus
rodfromcranston
Frank Keaney

So what? PC uses Alumni Hall for theirs.
I love Keaney. It's quaint and very noisy.
0 x
Iggy1979
Sly Williams

Unread post by Iggy1979 »

Maybe the floor isn't ready?
0 x
"Every season, college basketball has one or two teams that rise from dormancy to relevancy, squads that make long-awaited charges at the NCAA Tournament and become really fun storylines along the way."
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

I thought practice started at the end of September this year? If so, why a Thursday night in October?
0 x
EZBuckets
Jimmy Baron

bressler3south wrote:Is there something Thursday, October 17th, at 9 p.m. at the Ryan Center?!?!?!?!?!?!?!? If nothing is scheduled, I have no idea why it wouldn't be the venue for Midnight Madness, a la, "THE PRE-ITALY TRIP OPEN PRACTICE." A great experience for any fan interested in URI basketball!!!!! Also, prospective recruits would probably rather see the Ryan Center….
Trust me, Madness in Keaney is a MUCH better atmosphere than Madness at The Ryan. And until we can draw more than 1500-2000 people for such an event...it should stay there.

I MC'ed Madness at the Ryan Center for multiple years and the energy at Keaney last year was fantastic and made for a much better event. I for one am really looking forward to building on that energy this time around with even more excitement around the program.
0 x
bressler3south
Carlton Owens

Unread post by bressler3south »

Thank you, MCEZBuckets!
0 x
rodfromcranston
Frank Keaney

I remember in Harrcik's second year.
They had to control the crowd by giving out tickets.
Last time I remember that level of enthusiasm.
0 x
ATPTourFan
Frank Keaney

I'm looking forward to attending this year after missing last year.
0 x
Rhodymob05
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhodymob05 »

I'm sure URI will advertise the HELL out of this years Madness. I'm expecting a good turnout
0 x
GO RAMS
EZBuckets
Jimmy Baron

rodfromcranston wrote:I remember in Harrcik's second year.
They had to control the crowd by giving out tickets.
Last time I remember that level of enthusiasm.
Rod was that the year he rode into Keaney on a Harley?
0 x
rodfromcranston
Frank Keaney

Yup! On a Harley, with leather jacket and du rag on.
The year before, he body surfed to the floor, from the upper deck.
Why isn't this on a Friday night?
0 x
rhodylaw
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by rhodylaw »

Thursday night actually tends to be the bigger party night these days as people leave for the weekends.
0 x
neil
Art Stephenson

Unread post by neil »

I was at the one with Harrick. I took my 10 year old and almost got trampled in the lobby. The atmosphere was electric. I vote Keaney!
0 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

Agree that Thursday night is the big party night.............always has been
I did not make last year's Midnight Madness but I have been a regular attendee to the "Midnight Madness" during the Baron years.
The event did not take place at Midnight either but more went from about 7-9pm
I was one of very, very few Alumni - composed 99.9% of students and was advertised towards students.
All that I attended were held in Keaney
Usually a good crowd, never over capacity, but crowd would ahve been dismal in the Ryan Center.

I think that Keaney is the best place to hold this event, at least until it shows that we can regularly get 4000 or more to attend.

Personally I love the nostalgia of going into the old Keaney Gym - it's cozy, kids are close to the action of the Event.
0 x
RhodeIslandBred
Jeff Kent

Unread post by RhodeIslandBred »

Agree Keaney much better for this type of event. I will be there. Go RHODY!!
0 x
Iggy1979
Sly Williams

Unread post by Iggy1979 »

I believe the last two were in the RC. I remember Billy passing to Sponge from upper seats in slam dunk contest.
0 x
"Every season, college basketball has one or two teams that rise from dormancy to relevancy, squads that make long-awaited charges at the NCAA Tournament and become really fun storylines along the way."
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

Iggy1979 wrote:I believe the last two were in the RC. I remember Billy passing to Sponge from upper seats in slam dunk contest.
You are probably right, Iggy, I must have missed the last two then because I know I have not been to one in the RC, but I made a bunch in a row at Keaney and it was all students, 99.9%. I even felt like I didn't belong in the place. It was disappointing too because the guys really didn't play much and it was hard to make any kind of determiniation as to their level of talent (new guys) - unfortunately I think that is the way the Coaching Staff wanted it
0 x
rodfromcranston
Frank Keaney

Last year was at Keaney. I was there, sitting with a bunch od booster legends.
I sure didn't feel out of place. There were plenty of non students there.
0 x
Rhody74
Sly Williams

Unread post by Rhody74 »

rodfromcranston wrote:Last year was at Keaney. I was there, sitting with a bunch od booster legends.
That's when my bromance with Biruta started. You could see he was going to be a force. I'm sorry that we'll miss this year's since we'll be away on vacation.
0 x
Slava Ukraini!
ATPTourFan
Frank Keaney

Can't wait for another excuse to enter Keaney Gym to enjoy any form of basketball.
0 x
rodfromcranston
Frank Keaney

When I used to be there for Harrick's practices, I got to know almost every inch of Keaney Gym.
All the classrooms on the lower level on one side of the building. The women's BB office was there on the same side.
There was a back door that was unguarded and always open, where some of us slipped in to watch the games for free, a few decades ago.
The place is like a very old friend.
0 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

rodfromcranston wrote:Last year was at Keaney. I was there, sitting with a bunch od booster legends.
Rod,
I missed last year due to travel and I think I must have missed Baron's last year since I know I never attended one of these at the RC.
I probably made 4 of Baron's last 5 though and all were at Keaney. They were not promoted off campus much at all. No notification to Alumni or general public - most people did not even know it was going on. It was geared towards the students and even run by the Student's themselves. I don't think the Coaches (head or assistant) were allowed to participate - or so it seemed. I don't think Baron wanted the public seeing the guys play early on. He did not want speculation about who should be in the starting line up or who might start getting talked about as far as preseason expectation might be concerned - or so at least it seemed that way to me. It was also hard to make any judgements on the players since they did not play much in the way of a scrimmage..........again I think by design. In fact, most everyone on our message boards knew little or nothing about the event, and quite honestly nobody really cared.
At any rate, I saw just about only students in those years. I'll be there this year to be able to compare - to the "barren" years.
Keaney is fun to revisit. It brings back wonderful memories. It also is surprising to see how old the place looks, even the restrooms are "unimproved" and the gym seems to be just the way we left it.
0 x
twisted3829
Carlton Owens

Unread post by twisted3829 »

the one year in the RC was when they were redoing the floor of Keaney I believe
0 x
NOT IN OUR HOUSE
rodfromcranston
Frank Keaney

CFL treated everything as if it were a CIA operation. Recruiting, practices, events....
He was the "anti-Penders".
I think one of the reasons Dan Hurley and Tom Penders got on so well is,
they're kindred spirits. Their passion for the game and love for the fans of
the program are obvious.
Keany still is alive, but with volleyball. The court lines will look very different.
0 x
ace
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by ace »

Billyboy78 wrote:I thought practice started at the end of September this year? If so, why a Thursday night in October?
Practices can start on 9/27 but most schools are choosing to still hold their Midnight Madness events later. It takes away a little bit from the one day, big event across college basketball, but I don't mind the early start. It makes a long season even longer, though, but I'm sure the coaches will adjust the workload.
0 x
EZBuckets
Jimmy Baron

ace wrote:
Billyboy78 wrote:I thought practice started at the end of September this year? If so, why a Thursday night in October?
Practices can start on 9/27 but most schools are choosing to still hold their Midnight Madness events later. It takes away a little bit from the one day, big event across college basketball, but I don't mind the early start. It makes a long season even longer, though, but I'm sure the coaches will adjust the workload.
The actual idea of Madness isn't really to mark the start of practice, but to officially unveil the team and build anticipation to a fever pitch just before the start of the season.

Who would throw a pep rally a full month before any actual game is played? It's counter-productive & makes no sense.
0 x
BFC
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by BFC »

2. A number of schools will sprinkle in "Midnight Madness" events earlier than Oct. 18. The purpose has been to build these around important official visit recruiting weekends, and that won't change with the new early start date. The uniformity of some sort of special tipoff now with practice and/or an event is gone. Hoop teams will be sporadically starting and having madness-type events on random weekends throughout October.
http://espn.go.com/blog/collegebasketba ... point-shot
0 x
ATPTourFan
Frank Keaney

Thx for the link, BFC!
0 x
rodfromcranston
Frank Keaney

September 20, 2013

Rhody Madness Scheduled for October 17

KINGSTON, R.I. -- Fans of Rhody Basketball can tip off the 2013-14 men's and women's seasons on Thursday, Oct. 17 as Rhody Madness returns to historic Keaney Gymnasium. The event starts at 9 p.m.

As the premier basketball tip off event for URI students and basketball fans, Rhody Madness will feature engaging and entertaining promotions with URI students and members of the Rams' men's and women's basketball programs. The night will be capped off with a slam-dunk contest featuring members of the men’s basketball team.

The event is free for all URI students and the general public. Students and fans are encouraged to get to Keaney Gym early to claim the best seats.

The 3rd Annual Rhody Madness event is presented by Dunkin Donuts, The Burger Shack, Rhode Island Blood Center and The Mews Tavern.
0 x
ATPTourFan
Frank Keaney

See ya there, Rod!
0 x
ace
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by ace »

Brief article about the changes with the start of the season and practices.

http://collegebasketballtalk.nbcsports. ... -approact/
0 x
RoadyJay
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by RoadyJay »

Thanks Ace. Hopefully we do in fact see better quality basketball early.

With all the new faces this season there is not another team in the country that will benefit more from the additional practice time than our Rhody Rams.

A little sad to see the near death of Midnight Madness across the country.
0 x
zporiri
Steve Chubin

Re: Rhody Madness!! Thursday, October 17 @ 9pm in Keaney Gym

Unread post by zporiri »

There are advertisements all over campus for rhody madness, far more than in the 4 previous years I've been at URI. The school is going all out this year to make the game day atmosphere better, and I love it. Hopefully if we can set a mentality for the freshman that all basketball games are something that everyone on campus goes to regardless of what else they have going on, it's going to be a great year in terms of the game day atmosphere.
0 x
ATPTourFan
Frank Keaney

Hear hear, Zporiri!
0 x
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Yes, they are definitely pushing it. Let's hope the students respond!

0 x
ATPTourFan
Frank Keaney

That is an awesome sight!!
0 x
ATPTourFan
Frank Keaney

0 x
EZBuckets
Jimmy Baron

Thursday is quickly approaching! Hope to see you all there.

Marketing has got some great stuff planned and although I'm no Nick Cannon, I'm excited to be hosting and helping to kick off the season in style.
0 x