Season Ticket Reseating & Sales

Talk about the men's team, upcoming opponents and news from around college hoop.
URIGONZO
ARD

Season Ticket Reseating & Sales

Unread post by URIGONZO »

I figured I would start a thread about the season ticket reseating process. I do not know much about this process (other than it seems to be running more smoothly than Jim Baron's process). I got an email yesterday saying that it begins at the end of the month.

Does anyone have any other insight as to how this will work?
0 x
From the Standpoint of Sitting Down.
rodfromcranston
Frank Keaney

Re: Season Ticket Reseating

Unread post by rodfromcranston »

Looked like a Physics quiz to me. No idea what they're
talking about.
I want two more season tickets, but I want to move to the
corresponding section on the other side of the court.
0 x
< Arthur is my spirit animal.
URIGONZO
ARD

I just want to renew mine, same seats. Not sure why they are making it so difficult.
0 x
bressler3south
Carlton Owens

Unread post by bressler3south »

I had season tickets for five years and then everything "plan-wise" changed and I was basically being forced to give-up my wonderful seats (Section 305, Row C, Seats 15&16), exactly at mid-court. It was like extortion. All I wanted to do was make a simple renewal, and they made it so effin' frustrating, I just said, "Forget it, I'm done with this," and hung-up. Anyway, the guy called back 20 seconds later and said: "We got disconnected." "Yeah, and you're getting disconnected again." :x :x :x :x :x :x :x :x
0 x
URI96
ARD

Unread post by URI96 »

URIGONZO wrote:I just want to renew mine, same seats. Not sure why they are making it so difficult.
I can understand why it's being done but I agree this is a giant pain in the arse. I've essentially had the same seats since the RC opened and I have no desire to move. If some Johnny come lately swoops in and forces me to change seats I am going to be off the charts annoyed.
0 x
Like soldiers on a Winter's night with a vow to DEFEND, no retreat baby, no surrender.
ATPTourFan
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ATPTourFan »

I received email notice of my official seat selection time. Monday Aug 5 at 7:50pm.

I have followed the directions provided in previous emails and the seat selection system makes sense to me.

I did the simulated, mock selection process to familiarize myself.

I would be happy to help anyone figure out the system. I think you can also just call the ticket office anytime after your designated date/time to speak with a person.
0 x
Support Coach Miller & Rhody Basketball! Give to the Athletic Director's Fund
Ramulous
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Ramulous »

I got Aug 5 at 6:35 pm.....I just want the same seats I have had for the past 4 years..
0 x
F*ck Alacki, DarthFriar, DirtyBeanFriar94, xCoachK, Boxworth, Friar Faithful, bicycleicycle, Matt_Keough, Patrick Norton, the Rosato brothers, and especially Benjamin Lord !
Rhody74
Sly Williams

Unread post by Rhody74 »

Aug. 6 at 6:25 .... I'd hoped to get slightly better seats. Not sure if it's gonna happen.
0 x
Slava Ukraini!
NHRamFan
Lamar Odom

Unread post by NHRamFan »

I'm too far away to be a season ticket holder, so I can't relate to what you are looking at. However, with a desire to go big time, it makes sense that there will be changes to the season ticket process. This will probably not be the last change. As tix for URI games become more difficult to acquire (here's hoping!) the "price" paid to retain/obtain good seats will surely increase. If we want cheap tix and the run of the house, we can't expect success on the court.
0 x
rodfromcranston
Frank Keaney

WTF, September 31, at 13:00PM?
0 x
bressler3south
Carlton Owens

NHRamFan: See my previous post….I've been a devoted URI fan since I've been five years-old. Finally, at age 43, I could finally afford season tickets, and was able to get the aforementioned seats. It was Basketball Nirvana. 8-)
The times I couldn't go, I gave the tickets to hoop-lovers, some even PC fans, just so they could experience the beauty of the Ryan Center. Three of my friends, not even URI devotees, purchased their own season tickets so they could take people for the great place that the Ryan Center had become.
URI Alumni, Season Ticket Holders, Donors, and the like, SHOULD NOT HAVE TO GO THROUGH ANYTHING AS ASSININE AS THIS OR ANYTHING LIKE IT!!!!!!!! People who want to keep their seats shouldn't have to be put through some B.S. Process, because suddenly URI Basketball is a popular purchase.
Loyalty is Number One and should be recognized as such.
Also, there is nothing cooler than knowing where the "regulars" sit, to know where to schmooze, to shake a hand, to recognize a bond. To quote: "WTF, September 31, at 13:00PM?" (Sept. 31??? Perhaps, August 31. Sense the agitation????)
It's like telling a "forever regular," one of those folks who's just as much a part of the landscape and history of a bar or a restaurant that he's got to move to another table or barstool.
You just don't do it. It's not good business. Moreover, it's impersonal and downright rude. You don't treat friends that way.
0 x
RoadyJay
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by RoadyJay »

I'm surprised at the posts on this topic. Why are some so offended? This is a common practice nationally which rewards loyalty and benefits the program.

The reseating is a way to ensure that fans sit in seats consistent with their level of support. That seems fair to me. I'm sure a significant amount of money is being raised due to donors stepping up their giving to keep/improve their seating. The reseating was a key reason I stepped up my giving. Obviously this will only benefit the program.

I'm sure URI appreciates long time season ticket holders but this is only part of the loyalty equation.
0 x
rodfromcranston
Frank Keaney

Um, I was just kidding with the Sept. 31, 13:00AM There is no such
day or time.
0 x
twisted3829
Carlton Owens

Unread post by twisted3829 »

anybody know if the 100 level seats (101-110) are available? (I'm curious for student seating purposes)
0 x
NOT IN OUR HOUSE
Ramulous
Carlton Owens

Let's not stick our heads in the sand.......we need to raise money to boost the program......donations and seat licenses are the best way to get those funds and you need a good product on the floor to hype the demand.....

......imagine if you had to get on a waiting list to get season tickets.......I would love to see that !!
0 x
F*ck Alacki, DarthFriar, DirtyBeanFriar94, xCoachK, Boxworth, Friar Faithful, bicycleicycle, Matt_Keough, Patrick Norton, the Rosato brothers, and especially Benjamin Lord !
bressler3south
Carlton Owens

You know, Roadyjay, you're right. It's common practice nationally, which is what it's about: rewarding loyalty and supporting the program. One's financial standing should ensure whatever one wants, even though others have shown loyalty and support through thick and thin, donating time and money to the program, and more importantly, to the University, those types of matters many of you have no effin' idea about, unspoken things.
This is all relative to days gone by, when a man's word was truly his word, and a handshake meant something.
Whatever….
Ramulous, on one hand you want your seats that you've had for the past four years; on the other, there's the sand-factor. You can't have it both ways. Not anymore. Buy a shovel.
Rod, um, 13:00 p.m. would be 1 p.m., in a computer-generated email, and I wrote August 31, because well, I thought you were a "victim" of "da reseating process." You can't have it both ways, either, though I'm sure you would like it that way.
Sticking up for people who I've known and read for years, well, I must have had my head buried in the sand in many more ways than one.
Enjoy the ride, folks, because when there's not enough room on "The Johnny-Come-Lately-Wagon," guess who's gettin' bumped? Just ask Roadyjay.
Ciao,
bressler3south
8-)
0 x
Ramulous
Carlton Owens

Loyalty, time, support, length of time owning season tickets, dollars given should all be part of the equation when determining seat location, and more importantly, when it comes time to get NCAA tickets when we get to the tournament.

I don't have my head in the sand, Bressler, I gave more money this year than I have given in the past 8 years combined because I liked the direction Dan Hurley is taking the program, and I foresee that getting season tickets will be harder and harder as our success increases. I only meant to imply that I am not looking to better my seats in any way......I love where my seats are located and they should have an option whereby you can default into the same seats you have had for a few seasons....it would have been easier for me.
0 x
rodfromcranston
Frank Keaney

I wrote 13:00 AM. Ugh! Why bother.
0 x
Obadiah
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Obadiah »

Ramulous. A waiting list for season tickets would be terrific, but that comes with a downside. The more ticket scarcity there is, the more money becomes the dominant factor. Not good for the guy who loves basketball, has been loyal to the program over the years, but doesn't have the big bucks to give. For example, you cannot buy one season ticket at Duke unless you give a minimum of $6500 each year. And if it is the first year of giving that figure is $7500. Loyal Duke supporters who can't afford that have to resort to other ways to get tickets.
Last edited by Obadiah 10 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
0 x
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by Billyboy78 »

Unfortunately I can only afford to go to 4 or 5 games a year now. I usually look at the mini-plans.
0 x
theblueram
Frank Keaney

Unread post by theblueram »

Success has a price. Art Meade pushed the supply and demand all day long. Would we rather have a team that's mediocre but tickets are available for all? I opt that the Rams are a national program and we have to fight for tickets. I'll fight for those tickets. That's better than going into an empty arena any day. And there have been quite a few empty arenas the last few years.
0 x
jcru
Sly Williams

Unread post by jcru »

I'll just go to Scalpers R Us and get a few choice seats for a handful of games like last year.

Like even on here, not everyone can go to every game, so people would rather even get face value for their tickets then nothing.
0 x
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

Unread post by TruePoint »

Bress, I appreciate what you're saying but I'm with roadyjay and ramulous on this one. If you have to move people's seats a bit to increase revenue for the program, it is a relatively small price to pay. Other than it being a perceived slight, it really doesn't have any practical impact. Do you think the Patriots give the best seats to the diehards that sat their rears on the frozen benches at the old stadium out if loyalty? No. They sell the best seats to the people who can pay the most money.
0 x
"If you build it, they will come." --Us, circa 2011
jcru
Sly Williams

Unread post by jcru »

^ I don't think that is correct.

Patriots season ticket holders do not pay donations to the Patriots, they just pay for their season tickets.

They keep their same seats every year so long as they continue to pay for them each year.

This is not an apples to apples comparison.
0 x
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

It isn't apples to apples, but the point remains that the people who pay the most money are going to get the best seats. Nobody really "donates" money to professional teams in the same way as they do to colleges.
0 x
Rammgr
Jeff Kent

Unread post by Rammgr »

I have July 31 @ 8:55. My Internet Explorer is only version 7 so it doesn't work with this process. Not going to take any chances. I'll go in person. By the time I figure out the system my 5 minutes will be up.
0 x
UCH21377
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by UCH21377 »

I cannot imagine my 2 season tickets are so exciting that I could get bumped. But I must admit I will be annoyed if I get bumped and I may not bother renewing my tickets for next year. I liked the old system better where you wrote in your preferences 1 thru 4 and sent them in. I wonder if I will get called if I don't bother going online and nobody take my seats?
0 x
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

Does it really matter that much if you get moved two rows closer or further back, or one section over, or to the other side of the arena? It seems like people are being babies about this.
0 x
UCH21377
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by UCH21377 »

TP, perhaps so, but is URI really in a position to mess with the season ticket holder base coming off of 2 single digit win seasons, despite the optimism surrounding next years team?
0 x
jcru
Sly Williams

Unread post by jcru »

It isn't apples to apples, but the point remains that the people who pay the most money are going to get the best seats.
Again, no.

Patriots season ticket holders pay whatever the cost of the package on a yearly basis for the seats they have had all along.

They don't get bumped, and no one gets their seats, so long as they keep paying for -->their seats<-- every year.

So, trying to compare this to Patriots season ticket holders is moot. If the URI Rams had the same season ticket holder policy as the New England Patriots, there would be no arguement here, and no one would be complaining about losing their seats. They would simply be grandfathered in to the same seats year after year so long as they paid every season, and no donation would be required.
0 x
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

jcru wrote:
It isn't apples to apples, but the point remains that the people who pay the most money are going to get the best seats.
Again, no.

Patriots season ticket holders pay whatever the cost of the package on a yearly basis for the seats they have had all along.

They don't get bumped, and no one gets their seats, so long as they keep paying for -->their seats<-- every year.

So, trying to compare this to Patriots season ticket holders is moot. If the URI Rams had the same season ticket holder policy as the New England Patriots, there would be no arguement here, and no one would be complaining about losing their seats. They would simply be grandfathered in to the same seats year after year so long as they paid every season, and no donation would be required.
I know how Patriots season tickets work. I am a season ticket holder. When we moved to the new stadium, our seats were moved a little bit. I don't think it is a big deal. You can keep your seats at the Ryan. Just donate more money.
0 x
jcru
Sly Williams

Unread post by jcru »

Yeah? And I know how it works too.

So, if you know how it works, and you know they aren't related at all, why bring it up?

At URI, you could donate $10,000 and still get bumped out of your seats.

In Foxboro, you could tell someone "oh, are you going to be at a game in 3 years? Im Secton X, Row Y, Seat Z, that's me. Come check me out"

Big difference. You own your seats in Foxboro, you are those seats.
0 x
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

Right, but I'm looking at it like the cost of your donation is rolled into what you are paying for seats. If you aren't paying enough, you don't get to keep your seats and you get put into the seats you can afford. I wasn't making a 1:1 comparison or implying that it is the exact same, I was just using the Patriots as a stand-in for markets in general. The people who pay the most money get the best stuff. If the price of Patriots tickets go up and you can't buy them, you don't get to keep your tickets. Someone with more money will get them. If someone that wants your seats donates more than you, just look at it as the price of the tickets going up.

Maybe URI could do something similar to a PSL, where if you donate a certain amount or pledge to donate a certain amount per year, you can guarantee "your seats." That isn't a half bad idea. I just don't get why it really matters. My family has had the same Red Sox seats since before I was born, and I think of them as "our" seats. But I don't get all uppity if I go to a game and sit somewhere else. It doesn't really matter where you sit. I don't think it is something to worry so much about. We should be more worried about how the program is doing financially than where we are sitting.
0 x
Iggy1979
Sly Williams

Unread post by Iggy1979 »

I'm not crazy about seat licensing but it comes with the territory if you're trying to go big time. But until there's a lot more demand for tickets I wouldn't worry about it, and I don't think that will happen this year.
0 x
"Every season, college basketball has one or two teams that rise from dormancy to relevancy, squads that make long-awaited charges at the NCAA Tournament and become really fun storylines along the way."
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

Don't most all of the Major and High Mid Major Teams do seat licensing?
Agree that this year Season Tickets will not go crazy but after a 20+ year season this year following a 7 and 8 win season, combined with what should be another strong recruiting year for 2014 players, the Ryan could become a very popular place to be.
0 x
GansettSummer
Marc Upshaw

Unread post by GansettSummer »

UCH21377 wrote:... I liked the old system better where you wrote in your preferences 1 thru 4 and sent them in...
Am I missing something? There are 3 options listed and one of them includes a form which if my memory serves me well enough is similar to what athletics has been using in past reseating cycles. It seems to me if you liked that option then do that, but additionally they've just added two more options for you - online and in person.

Directly From the email:
Please note that you can make your seat selection in three ways:

1) Online during your slated selection time listed above
For detailed information and instruction regarding the online process click here (http://www.gorhody.com/tickets/men-s_ba ... l/rsonline). This is the recommend method.

2) In person during your slated selection time listed above at the south box office. Please Note: In person selection will take place in the south box office. Should you choose this selection option you must enter the south lobby located next to Tootell Aquatics Center. It is strongly encouraged that you arrive no later than 15 minutes prior to your selection time.
For detailed information and instruction regarding the in person process click here (http://www.gorhody.com/tickets/men-s_ba ... rsinperson).

3) Mail or fax the reseating request form prior to July 26th.
For detailed information and instruction regarding the request form process and to obtain the request form please click here (http://www.gorhody.com/tickets/men-s_ba ... l/rsbymail). Form Here (http://static.psbin.com/n/i/is114zaks9x ... t_form.pdf)
0 x
GansettSummer
Marc Upshaw

Unread post by GansettSummer »

Rammgr wrote:I have July 31 @ 8:55. My Internet Explorer is only version 7 so it doesn't work with this process. Not going to take any chances. I'll go in person. By the time I figure out the system my 5 minutes will be up.
I'm pretty sure and anyone who has more knowledge correct me if I'm wrong but you have more than 5 minutes to pick your seats, it's just the longer you wait more people are allowed to pick.

http://www.gorhody.com/tickets/men-s_ba ... breseating
Please refer to your email and or letter to reference your selection day, date and time.

*Seat selection occurs in 5 minute intervals. Therefore, it is important to select your seats during your specified time, and not delay, as more people enter the system every 5 minutes.
0 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

Agree Gansett,
That is the way I read it too. I also am missing what everyone is so upset about.
0 x
ATPTourFan
Frank Keaney

Agreed. I like the ability to see in real time online what seats are taken at the moment I'm able to choose my seats. Given that I am only looking for 2 seats, maybe I can find a gap in a lower row than previous years.

Also, if I understand correctly, don't priority points get calculated over something like the past DECADE of giving/seasontix ?

Therefore, if you have had season tix for 10 straight seasons and given $1000 every season without fail, you would have many more priority points than some "johnny come lately" who just threw down $10k on June 30 just before the fiscal year closed. You would have accrued consecutive year giving bonuses and credits for previous seasons' season tix per seat.

For those who like that mail/fax in form option, you better move quickly since it's due by July 26 - THIS FRIDAY.
0 x
rjsuperfly66
Carlton Owens

Unread post by rjsuperfly66 »

FWIW, this system sounds beyond ridiculous.

At the Dunk for example, they decided to institute PSL's a few years back. They basically assigned a number to each seat (so our section I think the seats are $340 and the PSL is like $160). The tickets come to $500 a year, and if you want those tickets, you have to pay it. This is the same thing for most sections in the Dunk. They didn't simply say "We don't think you donate enough so we are going to put you in line with 5,500 other people and maybe you can get your seats back."

In theory, why reward the "Johnny Come Lately's," because in the end if the team is set for a few bad years, who is likely to give up their seats because they don't want to waste the time amd cash? And who do you likely piss off by bumping them from the seats they've had for years? The real fans.
0 x
URIGONZO
ARD

rjsuperfly66 wrote:FWIW, this system sounds beyond ridiculous.

In theory, why reward the "Johnny Come Lately's," because in the end if the team is set for a few bad years, who is likely to give up their seats because they don't want to waste the time amd cash? And who do you likely piss off by bumping them from the seats they've had for years? The real fans.

Great point Superfly!! Johnny come lately's will come in for a good year, make just enough of a donation to pick where they want. Then dump the tickets when it looks like things are going to turn for the worse. At a school like URI there will be ups and downs. Hurley will have a great year, and could be gone in an instant.
0 x
Obadiah
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Obadiah »

ATP, you're somewhat correct on URI rewarding the long time season ticket holder, but the size of your donation eventually counts for more . For example, the guy who gives $1000 and has purchased two season tickets for ten years accrues more priority points than a newbie who donates $10,000 and buys 2 season tickets for the first time. The long time fan gets the better seat. However, if you do the math, the newbie will pass the long time fan in three years, assuming they both maintain their donation level. This is the rationale behind re-seating every three years. It is the only way to accommodate a dynamic situation and encourage both new donors and larger gifts. I see nothing wrong with the process.

The fact is that URI has lagged in donations versus peer schools and the annual fund hasn't increased that much over the last 15 years. There was a small rise in the Harrick years, but the Baron years saw hardly any significant increase. This is contrary to the experience of other schools, even some with poorer on court performance than URI.

Catalyzed by the arrival of Dan Hurley, I sense for the first time, a more determined effort to change this experience. That is why they are now rewarding more points (3) for each season ticket purchased in an effort to increase significantly the full season ticket holder base, a fertile base for getting increased donations.

Another odd thing at URI is that top donors can buy 8 tickets ( some years ago you could buy 16 tickets!) Top schools do not allow this level of purchase, sometimes limiting the purchase to only 2 or 4. As you may know there are many people with season tickets sitting in the first two rows of 205, 206, 212, 211 who do not give a dime to URI Athletics. Is that fair?
0 x
rodfromcranston
Frank Keaney

If you're buying season tickets, you ARE supporting URI athletics.
You buy the tickets, you buy the food, you buy souveniers.
It's called BEING A SUPPORTER of the program.
Some of us are in survival mode, finacially, and don't have the luxury of
massive donations.
Our voices at games, our interest in the program, is plenty.
0 x
jcru
Sly Williams

Unread post by jcru »

I don't know why I am even chiming in here, except to make this last point.

I agree with Rod to the extent that if you are buying season tickets religiously every year, you are a good supporter of the program.

Again, the Pats comparison: this is similar to when the Pats sucked, but people kept their season tickets. They were still supporting the organization.

If URI didn't waste more than a decade with Baron, maybe they would already have a much better product, that people would be willing to pay a higher ticket face value for.

Now, URI is basically starting from square one, with a lot of excitement and potential with Hurley, but he hasn't won yet, it's just based on potential.

Patriots season ticket holders don't want to lose their seats. In many cases, they are like family heirlooms, similar to having a governor's plate. If they lose their job or something unexpected happens, they would rather their season tickets go to a close family member who can take over the payments every year, then giving them back to the Pats. I've seen that first hand, and have even been offered to do just that once for a family member.

So, the Pats generate their revenue from the ticket sales, among other things like tv revenues and the money that pours in from playoff success. URI is not a professional organization, but I think Rod's statement holds. If this were a more valuable product in very high demand, you wouldn't necessary need $10,000 donations or even $1,000 donators, the tickets would produce a lot more revenue in and of themselves, the ticket price would steadily rise every year, and people would automatically put the money aside each year to pay it, like they do for the pro teams.
0 x
Obadiah
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Obadiah »

No question that all fans support the program whether you are a buyer of single tickets, mini packages, or a full season tickets. All are important to creating a great game day environment and that includes the students. Some people, as in my case, cannot attend games due to distance, etc, so we choose to support the program through donations. Increasing ticket revenue is critical, but the biggest boost in the near term will be through an increase in the size of average attendance, then maybe some increase in ticket prices. Many boosters rather fund the program through donations rather than ticket price increases because donations often are matched by private companies and they are also tax deductible.

Success on the court is the most important need for URI, and while that happening will boost ticket revenue, another important outcome of success is increased TV and tournament revenue.
0 x
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by Billyboy78 »

I support the program and have for 40 years. Unfortunately I cannot support them financially anymore. I support them by participating here, by reading newspaper articles about them, by listening to games on the radio and by going to a few games a year. I can only spend about 150 dollars a year on URI basketball, but I still consider myself to be a great fan.
0 x
RoadyJay
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by RoadyJay »

Ok.. I've got the solution!

Let's get all the season ticket holders together and have everyone bring proof of how many newspaper articles they've read about the URI basketball team, how vocal they are at games and how many nachos and souvenirs they've bought. You'll get priority points for each! We can even give points for Facebook posts and Tweets too!

Whoever has the most priority points gets to choose their seats first! So hurry up and start Tweeting!!

Give me a break! The program is not going to grow and succeed without donors. I'm sure the University greatly appreciates season ticket holders even if they can't donate. But the bottom line is your seats will likely be at risk every time there is a reseating, and that's a great thing for the program. Nachos and souvenirs ain't gonna cut it.

And about the "Johnny come latelys"... I hope there are 5000 "Johnny come latelys" next season. We need them and we need their money. I hope they give so much money that my seats are at risk every time there is a reseating.

Why? Because that means the program is flourishing and I care a hell of a lot more about that than where my seats are.

Let's all try to start thinking more about the health/success of the program rather than where are buns are seated in the Ryan Center.
0 x
ATPTourFan
Frank Keaney

As a FYI, today I received a physical mailing with the same season tix renewal information sent to me last week via email.
0 x
Rhody72
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Rhody72 »

Being a season ticket holder and paying for pre-season games is really a donation.

Re-seating is a necessity to increase donations. New big-money donors are not going to give to sit in the corners. There is a tremendous financial opportunity for URI to significantly increase donations. Unfortunately, re-seating following a losing season doesn't realize the full potential. A year from now URI basketball tickets will be a hot item and few will be giving up good seats. I wonder whether URI will then move some premiere games to the Dunk? Ugh.
0 x
NCAAs or Bust!
Rhody74
Sly Williams

Unread post by Rhody74 »

Rhody72 wrote:I wonder whether URI will then move some premiere games to the Dunk? Ugh.

Ugh is right, but I don't think we have to worry about it until the Ryan Center is regularly sold out.
0 x
Slava Ukraini!