RI D-1 College Athletics Fundraising

Talk about the men's team, upcoming opponents and news from around college hoop.
RF1
Ernie Calverley

RI D-1 College Athletics Fundraising

Unread post by RF1 »

Raising the bar to raise the roofs
Major R.I. college sports programs must bring in more money than ever before to remain competitive
By KEVIN McNAMARA
PROVIDENCE JOURNAL

http://digital.olivesoftware.com/Olive/ ... w=ZW50aXR5

Selected Excerpts:

PC raised just over $400,000 a year for athletics when he came to the school in 2002. Now, thanks largely to the efforts of associate athletic director Steve Napolillo and his staff, the athletic department is nearing a goal of $4 million

the Rams’ Fund has grown from $600,000 to just under $1 million in the last seven years. An additional $5 million has been raised since 2007 for capital projects that include a new tennis facility, field space and the sparkling Bill Beck baseball field that was upgraded to artificial turf thanks to an anonymous $1-million gift.

The Brown Sports Foundation, which was created in 1983, solicits major gifts for facility upgrades but also has an annual fund that should eclipse $3.5 million this year. The Sports Foundation’s efforts are directly shifted to the athletic department’s budget every year.

At Bryant, the Black & Gold Club is relatively new to the fundraising game but has made some great strides in the school’s five years as a Division I program. Both men’s basketball and lacrosse have attracted significant attention from donors and the booster club for all sports raised $400,000 in annual giving in the 2012-13 school year
0 x
RF1
Ernie Calverley

Re: RI D-1 College Athletics Fundraising

Unread post by RF1 »

Scorecard for Annual Athletics Fundraising:

Providence College 4m
Brown 3.5m
URI just below 1m
Bryant .4m
0 x
Hal Kopp
Art Stephenson

Unread post by Hal Kopp »

If anyone wants to see where the $$ go or actually contribute some-see attached.
Attachments
SADC Tailgate 001.jpg
0 x
bressler3south
Carlton Owens

Unread post by bressler3south »

No offense, RF1, in regards to your tally sheet, but this is about the "preciseness" of McNamara's "writing," which leaves much to be desired.
An additional $5 million has been raised since 2007 for capital projects that include a new tennis facility, field space and the sparkling Bill Beck baseball field that was upgraded to artificial turf thanks to an anonymous $1-million gift.
Does $5,000,000 count toward the other "just under $1 million," regardless if the money is earmarked for capital improvements?
Infrastructure is infrastructure, and the other part of the article refers to other infrastructure improvements, etc., But is that money different than all the other money that's raised???
Does it matter where the money is coming from (Anonymous, et al.,) and what's being reported????
I suppose, in end-effect, that's why people like to give to a specific pet-funds/projects…..
Personally, it appears that URI Athletics has raised a helluva lot more money than it's being credited. Does just less than $6,000,000 sound more accurate?????
0 x
Ramulous
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Ramulous »

I am also unsure if pc's yearly goal is 4M or the total they have raised since these guys took over.....

KMac didn't craft these lines well imho......
0 x
F*ck Alacki, DarthFriar, DirtyBeanFriar94, xCoachK, Boxworth, Friar Faithful, bicycleicycle, Matt_Keough, Patrick Norton, the Rosato brothers, and especially Benjamin Lord !
wakefield
Steve Chubin

Unread post by wakefield »

http://www.usatoday.com/sports/college/ ... /finances/

Click on Rhode Island #89 to see contribution amounts
0 x
bressler3south
Carlton Owens

Unread post by bressler3south »

Thanks, Wakefield! The numbers….well…..WTFK?!?!?
0 x
RF1
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by RF1 »

bressler3south wrote:No offense, RF1, in regards to your tally sheet, but this is about the "preciseness" of McNamara's "writing," which leaves much to be desired.
An additional $5 million has been raised since 2007 for capital projects that include a new tennis facility, field space and the sparkling Bill Beck baseball field that was upgraded to artificial turf thanks to an anonymous $1-million gift.
Does $5,000,000 count toward the other "just under $1 million," regardless if the money is earmarked for capital improvements?
Infrastructure is infrastructure, and the other part of the article refers to other infrastructure improvements, etc., But is that money different than all the other money that's raised???
Does it matter where the money is coming from (Anonymous, et al.,) and what's being reported????
I suppose, in end-effect, that's why people like to give to a specific pet-funds/projects…..
Personally, it appears that URI Athletics has raised a helluva lot more money than it's being credited. Does just less than $6,000,000 sound more accurate?????

My assupmtion is that the PC and Brown numbers did not include capital expenditures either, just operating budgets. PC is currently redoing Schneider and is about to embark on a new basketball practice facility. Brown just completed its new swim center and is always building something. I would think those schools fundraising for capital projects (especially Brown with rich alums) is much greater than URI.
Last edited by RF1 11 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
0 x
OBRAM
Art Stephenson

Unread post by OBRAM »

Why did Student Fees go from $6 million in 2008, to zero after that date?
0 x
Rhody72
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Rhody72 »

I think URI has the potential to do much better. URI's two major sports have not exactly been exciting during the past decade. However, I think that we have turned the corner with basketball and should be capable of raising much more money in the future.
0 x
NCAAs or Bust!