2013-2014 Starters

Talk about the men's team, upcoming opponents and news from around college hoop.
URI_IEP
Lamar Odom

2013-2014 Starters

Unread post by URI_IEP »

With all the turmoil and angst on the board I thought it might be fun to discuss something more upbeat.

Given who is planned to be on the team next year, what do you think the starting line-up will be during the Euro Trip, Start of OOC play, Start of In-Conference, and the Last game of the Season? And a "Why?" for your reasons for changes. Again, don't take this too seriously and have fun with it :-)

ROSTER: M Powell, J Reischel, J Hare, EC Matthews, H Martin, X Munford, D Minnis, TJ Buchanan, I Onyekaba, M Aaman, G Biruta

EURO
PG: M Powell; SG: X Munford; SF: J Reischel; PF: G Biruta; C: J Hare
Why? MP and XM start because they are known quantities. JR starts because he seems to be our only SF with experiance. GB and JH start together to have a bull/anchor down low and a mobile shot swatter.

OOC
PG: D Minnis; SG: X Munford; SF: J Reischel; PF: G Biruta; C: I Onyekaba
Why? Can't keep DM out of the starting lineup due to his quickness and defence. IO gets the nod due to his post scoring ability and physicality.

In-Conference
PG: D Minnis; SG: X Munford; SG/PG: EC Matthews; PF: G Biruta; C: I Onyekaba
Why? EC shows why he's a top-100 and URI moves to a 3 guard line-up with DM and ECM sharing the PG duties. With DM and ECMs size they can adequately defend the SF spot.

Last Game
PG: EC Matthews; SG: X Munford; SF: H Martin; PF: G Biruta; C: I Onyekaba
Why? After getting pushed around by some bigger teams, URI moves to a bigger line-up. ECM moves to starting PG. HM cracks the starting line-up at SF providing a solid front three to try to overpower the A-10 competition.
0 x
ATPTourFan
Frank Keaney

Re: 2013-2014 Starters

Unread post by ATPTourFan »

I like how you break down the lineup for the different parts of the season, including the Europe trip. It's exciting to just read those names in terms of actually getting on the floor to represent Rhody.
0 x
Support Coach Miller & Rhody Basketball! Give to the Athletic Director's Fund
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

Unread post by TruePoint »

I seriously feel like by the time the A10 tournament rolls around we could be a legit threat to win it.
0 x
"If you build it, they will come." --Us, circa 2011
ramfan85
Carlton Owens

Unread post by ramfan85 »

With all the negatives on our other threads (understandably so), it is nice to have a link here that deals with positives.

To that I will say that coaches usually like to start the returning players. They know the system (usually) and have earned that right. Of course, there are always exceptions. I do think that the big O will get the nod early on. I don't think there is much question that he can play the center spot better than hare (assuming the latter doesn't have a big change in his game).
0 x
section(105)
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by section(105) »

Related update request...do we know about TJ's eye injury in last game??
0 x
Ram logo via Grist 1938
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

I assume he just got poked and it isn't a factor going forward. I honestly hadn't thought about it since it happened. I wouldn't worry too much about it.
0 x
Rhody74
Sly Williams

Unread post by Rhody74 »

While it's awfully early to start projecting starters, I can't really argue with the projections you make. I'm thinking, though, that there will be more variability due to matchups. For instance, I see Hare starting against quicker teams and IO starting against the beefier ones. This presumes, of course, that Hare continues to progress.
0 x
Slava Ukraini!
rodfromcranston
Frank Keaney

Unread post by rodfromcranston »

Looks like the three star 6'9" kid, Reynolds, who was on campus the
other day, already ruled us out. Ugh!
0 x
< Arthur is my spirit animal.
URI_IEP
Lamar Odom

Unread post by URI_IEP »

Just an idea (hint hint Obediah); maybe we could make this a competition for the start of the season. 1 point for each correct player. Pretty straight forward and easy to put together. We could start it a week or two before the EURO trip.

Anyone else have any projections? Obviously there are variables, but it's fun to guess at what could be...
0 x
RAM67
Art Stephenson

Unread post by RAM67 »

Rod. He's stuck on South Carolina, and just took this as an ego trip.
0 x
ace
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by ace »

Teams like VCU have used their international trips as a chance to see new(er) players in game action. I think it would be smart for this team to do the same. I know there's some benefit to mix in the new with the old, but they already know what they have in guys like Powell and Munford.
0 x
URIGONZO
ARD

Unread post by URIGONZO »

Has the team announced dates of the Euro trip? I may want to get over there for that.
0 x
From the Standpoint of Sitting Down.
Blue Man
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Blue Man »

I really think your opening day lineup will stick through the year.

I think any changes to it happen based on matchups. Not that biggie is a small guy, but depending on who we're playing, it might be more prudent to have EC out there at the point. There's also the possibility that X comes off the bench in certain matchups so that we have a large backcourt should the opportunity arise.

It's just awesome to consider the possibilities.
0 x
If you say you’re a Rhody fan, I know you are my brother. For you have suffered as I have suffered.

Give to the Athletic Director's Fund

Give to Rhody's NIL
ATPTourFan
Frank Keaney

I disagree. The lineup will have its share of changes throughout the season.
0 x
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by Billyboy78 »

rodfromcranston wrote:Looks like the three star 6'9" kid, Reynolds, who was on campus the
other day, already ruled us out. Ugh!
I'm guessing he was on campus the day of the rumored shooting....not exactly the ideal situation to be recruiting a kid.
0 x
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Jim Donaldson's starting lineup after decommitments and transfers...

PG: Eric Younkofski
SG: Xavier Munford
C: Some kid from Ellery Hall
SF: Shane Plunkett
PF: Some girl from Coddington Hall
0 x
rodfromcranston
Frank Keaney

I thought it was Monday, but I could be wrong.
Turned out to be an "unofficial" visit, which meant, let me check out URI
for the hell of it.
He wants USC, so he's looking for something very different than URI.
Billy, X Munford would sit out next year to follow Hurley to basketball's
Ground Zero.
Idiot on the PC board wondering if they could scarf Martin, if Hurley leaves.
Gee, I thought he was a bum that they passed over?
0 x
seanmc94
Tom Garrick

Unread post by seanmc94 »

Rod,
Everyone acknowledged that Martin was a good get. Simmer down big fella.
Gonna be a long weekend.
When you light a candle for Hurley; light one for Ledo as well.
0 x
Warning: area protected by guard donkey
ace
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by ace »

For those of you not on twitter (but really, just get on it already!), Hurley's saying some good stuff at some sort of get together tonight...

0 x
seanmc94
Tom Garrick

I have yet to hear anything out of DHs mouth that I haven't absolutely loved. Kid is a coaches son and a little bro. Love his frankness and intensity
0 x
bressler3south
Carlton Owens

Unread post by bressler3south »

"…substance over style" Ie., COMPETITION, COMPETITION, COMPETITION!!!!!!!!
0 x
Rhody72
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Rhody72 »

As most here know I believe in playing the most talented players and don't care much for seniority. Still, unless there are injuries etc, I don't see Matthews or Martin starting but they will see good minutes. We have some really talented players who were ineligible last season. We had too many players with boy's bodies last season to be competitive. This year we'll go with guys with some bulk. Then again, maybe Matthews or Martin will be physically tougher than I project.
0 x
NCAAs or Bust!
bressler3south
Carlton Owens

"roles on our team next year will be defined by practice and who wants to win in practice." One might be the most talented player around, but doesn't produce. He won't be playing at URI. Then again, if you produce for URI's Coach Dan Hurley, YOU'RE TALENTED AND YOU ARE A WINNER!!!!
P.S. Have you watched any of the video of Martin? I would say that for a 17 year-old that he's "pretty well-built."
0 x
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

I love this coach and I love this team !!!!
0 x
Iggy1979
Sly Williams

Unread post by Iggy1979 »

Since the roster is set, here's a guess at a three-deep depth chart.

1: Minnis, Powell, Matthews
2. Munford, Buchanan, Matthews, Butler
3. Reischel, Buchanan, Martin
4. Biruta, Martin, Aaman
5. Onyekaba, Hare, Aaman

The biggest question mark is PG, where you have a returning starter, a transfer that Hurley speaks highly of and one of the best recruits at URI in recent years.
Hurley will have to find minutes for TJ so I'm guessing he'll see some time at the 3, which would open up minutes for Matthews and maybe Butler at the 2.
The other big question is at C. Is Onyekaba a lot better than the other 2?
0 x
"Every season, college basketball has one or two teams that rise from dormancy to relevancy, squads that make long-awaited charges at the NCAA Tournament and become really fun storylines along the way."
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

Love the talent and depth we have !!
0 x
ramfan85
Carlton Owens

Unread post by ramfan85 »

I remember Red Auerbach saying that it didn't matter who started the game. He was more concerned with who finished it.
0 x
Blue Man
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Blue Man »

Iggy1979 wrote:Since the roster is set, here's a guess at a three-deep depth chart.

1: Minnis, Powell, Matthews
2. Munford, Buchanan, Matthews, Butler
3. Reischel, Buchanan, Martin
4. Biruta, Martin, Aaman
5. Onyekaba, Hare, Aaman

The biggest question mark is PG, where you have a returning starter, a transfer that Hurley speaks highly of and one of the best recruits at URI in recent years.
Hurley will have to find minutes for TJ so I'm guessing he'll see some time at the 3, which would open up minutes for Matthews and maybe Butler at the 2.
The other big question is at C. Is Onyekaba a lot better than the other 2?
I think your starters are a dead on - I think the depth chart is where reality will deviate.

I can't see Powell as the number 2 over Matthews. I don't really think the fact that he's a freshman matters to DH. His talent level and size alone trump Powell.

At the 2 I don't think you have a lights out shooter like Butler at the bottom of your depth chart. EVERYONE on this team will be playing defense, so I can't see anyone on this roster ever being a defensive liability. I put Butler as a guy who will see significant minutes even as a freshman, just because he'll be one of the 2 maybe 3 deep threats we have in the entire lineup.

Again, with the 3 I see TJ as a foul trouble guy - not a knock on him at all, he's probably got the most heart on that team and is an instant spark on the defensive end, but we're so deep with guys who will play 2 ways (read: everyone in a Hurley system) that I can't see him going in over someone who can put the ball in the hoop.

I think at the 4 you'll see Jordan Hare. I have an idea that if Onyekaba comes out, Biruta would move to the 5 and Hare comes in to play in the 4 spot. Unless he spends the next couple months eating 7000 calories and lifting twice a day, there's no way he has the body to bang. His strength is in his athleticism, and having someone else body up the other teams big man will free Hare up for rebounds, put backs and help blocks.

What I see -

Minnis - Matthews - Rod - ATP - KMac - Rhody the Ram - Powell
Munford - Butler - Buchanan
Rieschel - Martin
Biruta - Hare
Onyekaba - Aaman
0 x
If you say you’re a Rhody fan, I know you are my brother. For you have suffered as I have suffered.

Give to the Athletic Director's Fund

Give to Rhody's NIL
rodfromcranston
Frank Keaney

I agree with Blue Man on his picks, even if he did get rid of his mustache.
Yes, the secret is out. I'm playing backup PG next year, along with ATP.
We're doing it in alternating games.
Hurley and Thorr want fan participation and thought this was a good
way to spark interest.
Carl Koussa is playing backup PF, alternating with Bob Terino and Frank Caruso.
It's gonna be a weird season!
0 x
ace
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by ace »

Ouch. Powell will get his minutes, but I could see them really varying by game/match ups. That field goal percentage has nowhere to go but up! I'm not all that high on Butler, at least from the start, but I would love to be wrong. Regardless, Hurley will play a deep bench and teaching points can actually be emphasized this season by sitting players down in-game.
0 x
SmartyBarrett
Sly Williams

Unread post by SmartyBarrett »

OK, I'll be the guy that says Powell deserves more love. Rhody was one of the best teams in the country last year in terms of not turning the ball over - that's largely a function of your point guard. Plus, we give Munford's shooting percentage a pass because he was forced to take bad shots - why aren't folks affording Powell the same courtesy? I'm not saying he should start, but to insinuate that he's going to get Youncofski-type minutes is crazy.
0 x
ace
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by ace »

SmartyBarrett wrote:OK, I'll be the guy that says Powell deserves more love. Rhody was one of the best teams in the country last year in terms of not turning the ball over - that's largely a function of your point guard. Plus, we give Munford's shooting percentage a pass because he was forced to take bad shots - why aren't folks affording Powell the same courtesy? I'm not saying he should start, but to insinuate that he's going to get Youncofski-type minutes is crazy.
Of course that's crazy. But 30%? Yikes. I can see at least ten guys getting double digits minutes, with Powell being in that mix.
0 x
Gonebarongone
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by Gonebarongone »

SmartyBarrett wrote:OK, I'll be the guy that says Powell deserves more love. Rhody was one of the best teams in the country last year in terms of not turning the ball over - that's largely a function of your point guard. Plus, we give Munford's shooting percentage a pass because he was forced to take bad shots - why aren't folks affording Powell the same courtesy? I'm not saying he should start, but to insinuate that he's going to get Youncofski-type minutes is crazy.
I'm not sure. Rhody had a low amount of turnovers because they only played about a 60-65 possession game. Powell wasn't necessarily great at protecting the ball and I think it won't get better as the team gets to the pace that DH wants to play. And, while it's tough for me to give X a pass on his shooting %, you can at least see the argument. Powell at .299/.307 is just brutal to a team. I could see Powell's minutes eroding slowly and almost vanishing by conference play. Too big of a fight for the 80 guard minutes.
0 x
Running Ram
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Running Ram »

Most on here seem to think Powell and Buchanan are going to just fade off and that's that. I don't see it happening, they both have two years of very good experience, that gives them an edge both on and off the court. I see them both as continuing major contributors going forward.
Its great to have such depth, any given game someone will be out with sickness, injury or whatever and someone else will get into foul trouble and someone else will be having an off night, etc... plenty of options compared to last year, but I still see plenty of opportunities for players to make their impact, starters or otherwise.
Not withstanding, someone or sometwo or three may rise so high above the rest at their best position that they get the majority of the minutes, I'm fine with that scenario as well, I just see it as less likely than a somewhat even spread of minutes and opportunities.
Either way I just can't freakin wait for this season to get underway!
0 x
Go Rhody!!!
Birthplace of 'Fastbreak Basketball'
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

People on this board LOVE to bury Mike Powell. He has been killed off by posters here as frequently as Parker and Stone killed off Kenny.
0 x
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Let's look at it another way. If we go 10 deep who are getting double figure minutes, who are the two odd men out getting little or no time?
0 x
rodfromcranston
Frank Keaney

OK, I'll bite....who the hell are Parker, Stone and Kenny?
0 x
ace
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by ace »

rodfromcranston wrote:OK, I'll bite....who the hell are Parker, Stone and Kenny?
from South Park
0 x
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

South Park reference. Parker and Stone are the writers. Kenny is a character that dies in every episode.

Edit: Ace is on it. Per usual.
0 x
rodfromcranston
Frank Keaney

Oy!
0 x
luke
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by luke »

Regarding Powell, don't overlook his potential to improve having a former guard like DH to continue his development. Look at the improvement of Marquis Jones as a junior. I don't think anyone saw that coming and he didn't have the coaches Powell has to work with. He might surprise us. And there was virtually no frontcourt to take the pressure off the guards last year.
0 x
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

luke wrote:Regarding Powell, don't overlook his potential to improve having a former guard like DH to continue his development. Look at the improvement of Marquis Jones as a junior. I don't think anyone saw that coming and he didn't have the coaches Powell has to work with. He might surprise us. And there was virtually no frontcourt to take the pressure off the guards last year.
Marquis did improve, but he wasn't a point guard (yes, I know he played point guard).
0 x
ATPTourFan
Frank Keaney

Rhody was 90th nationally in Turnover RATE last season, which is a possession-adjusted stat. So they were decent, but not outstanding or even very good. For comparison, they were 60th nationally in turnovers per-game, due to the slow pace they played (I won't miss that!).
0 x
Rhody72
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Rhody72 »

I don't consider the players who sat out last year as unknown quantities. Assuming all are healthy, the pecking order among returnees is known. EC and Martin are the only unknown, and it is a matter of minutes versus starting with these two. DH needs to coach this team as veteran returning team. They should be good right from the start. Adjusting to the college game is not much of an issue. I see IO, GB, JR, XM and DM as being the starters throughout. The rest are competing for minutes.
0 x
NCAAs or Bust!
SGreenwell
Sly Williams

Unread post by SGreenwell »

Billyboy78 wrote:
luke wrote:Regarding Powell, don't overlook his potential to improve having a former guard like DH to continue his development. Look at the improvement of Marquis Jones as a junior. I don't think anyone saw that coming and he didn't have the coaches Powell has to work with. He might surprise us. And there was virtually no frontcourt to take the pressure off the guards last year.
Marquis did improve, but he wasn't a point guard (yes, I know he played point guard).
Geez, he certainly wasn't a 2 either though. He did get better by his senior year, but on a good team he's probably the fourth guard in the game. Good handle and an average passer, at least IIRC, but of course with him and anything else from Baron's time you're going to get into a "nature vs. nurture" debate.
0 x
seanmc94
Tom Garrick

Expect some growing pains early. The Italy trip will help; but there is no substitute for game action. As talented as Matthews and Martin are; they are still freshmen. There will be teeth grinding nights and jaw dropping nights.
0 x
bressler3south
Carlton Owens

Wow, Sean. Thanks for the reality-check…..
0 x
Gonebarongone
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by Gonebarongone »

Rhody72 wrote:I don't consider the players who sat out last year as unknown quantities. Assuming all are healthy, the pecking order among returnees is known. EC and Martin are the only unknown, and it is a matter of minutes versus starting with these two. DH needs to coach this team as veteran returning team. They should be good right from the start. Adjusting to the college game is not much of an issue. I see IO, GB, JR, XM and DM as being the starters throughout. The rest are competing for minutes.
I agree that it is about minutes rather than who is starting. I also think you can split it up between the out of conference and in conference play. The transfers aren't unknown quantities but there still will be an adjustment period. I could see DH running multiple units in the first 10-15 games while it all shakes out then having a pretty steady rotation by the new year. As for freshman, it is a different era now. If you are good, you play, and most likely start. Anyone see Olivier Hanlan play this year? A frosh from Canada via a NE prep school into the ACC and is ACC frosh of the year. If EC is as good as advertised, he gets starter's minutes, whether he actually is in at tip off or not.
0 x
Rhody74
Sly Williams

Unread post by Rhody74 »

ace wrote:
rodfromcranston wrote:OK, I'll bite....who the hell are Parker, Stone and Kenny?
from South Park
You bastards!
0 x
Slava Ukraini!
Keaney.Blue
Lamar Odom

Unread post by Keaney.Blue »

Don't expect too much from the freshmen. Martin, Matthews, and Butler won't get as many minutes as we will hope. Also, I think people are hyping Onyekaba to be something he's not. He's a big strong body, but not a post scorer.
0 x