[OFFICIAL] Hurley Signs Extension With URI

Talk about the men's team, upcoming opponents and news from around college hoop.
RhodyRam2011
Abdul Fox

[OFFICIAL] Hurley Signs Extension With URI

Unread post by RhodyRam2011 »

rodfromcranston
Frank Keaney

Re: And it begins

Unread post by rodfromcranston »

No, it continues. I wish Dan would just come out and say he's not interested.
< Arthur is my spirit animal.
neil
Art Stephenson

Unread post by neil »

I've always been an idealist. I can't imagine Coach looking Gil right in the eyes and saying he's leaving for the money. We'll find out soon.
Iggy1979
Sly Williams

Unread post by Iggy1979 »

I hope he stays, but in the vast majority of cases, the guy goes ...
"Every season, college basketball has one or two teams that rise from dormancy to relevancy, squads that make long-awaited charges at the NCAA Tournament and become really fun storylines along the way."
Justns11
Lamar Odom

Unread post by Justns11 »

Ugh...I really hope he stays. Fingers crossed. If he goes, I assume all of the recruits are going to follow.
rodfromcranston
Frank Keaney

You're really assuming Rutgers wants a coach with three years experience, only one a winning season, a similar sideline manner to the fired coach, with only 8 wins.
They have to sell this to their fanbase. Despite some media types pushing for Hurley.
Would Rutgers go this route, or hire someone safe, like John Giannini?
I don't see Hurley as a safe hire, for Rutgers.
Also, you're further assuming Dan Hurley is a money whore.
I don't. I may be wrong. Time will tell.
Rhody74
Sly Williams

Unread post by Rhody74 »

Hurley strikes me as a person of integrity, so I hope he finishes what he started here. If, like the FGCU coach, he brings us to the Sweet 16 next year, he can probably write his own ticket to a program far better than Rutgers. In that case, I wouldn't blame him. But I have a feeling he'll stay in Kingston at least this year.
Slava Ukraini!
3wisemen
Jeff Kent

Unread post by 3wisemen »

rodfromcranston wrote:You're really assuming Rutgers wants a coach with three years experience, only one a winning season, a similar sideline manner to the fired coach, with only 8 wins.
They have to sell this to their fanbase. Despite some media types pushing for Hurley.
Would Rutgers go this route, or hire someone safe, like John Giannini?
I don't see Hurley as a safe hire, for Rutgers.
Also, you're further assuming Dan Hurley is a money whore.
I don't. I may be wrong. Time will tell.
The Hurley name is gold in New Jersey basketball circles. It doesn't get much better.
Money would have very little to do with this. Imagine the sales pitch Rutgers could make:
'Dan, come home and save your state university. We're playing in the Big 10, so your top recruit could play home games against Michigan and Michigan State. Your other incoming freshman could play half his games near home in New Jersey. You would have a steady pipeline to the best players your father can offer now that you're coaching in a major conference. You could build a dynasty.'
It's too easy, Rod. Whether or not Hurley says yes if offered is one thing. But this would be a slam dunk from the Rutgers perspective. It wins the press conference today and games down the line.
RF1
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by RF1 »

Dr. John Giannini of LaSalle. Was formerly a coach at Rowan in NJ. Stock is currently high with Sweet-16 run.
URI_05
ARD

Unread post by URI_05 »

Just reading the few Giants message boards that I frequent, a lot of people in Jersey think Rutgers would be nuts to go after Hurley.
RF1
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by RF1 »

TruePoint
Frank Keaney

Unread post by TruePoint »

URI_05 wrote:Just reading the few Giants message boards that I frequent, a lot of people in Jersey think Rutgers would be nuts to go after Hurley.
I hope that is the prevailing opinion. I'm pretty concerned. Best case scenario is that they view Giannini as safer and easier to sell in contrast to what they just got rid of. I don't know, though. I'm legitimately concerned.
"If you build it, they will come." --Us, circa 2011
adam914
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by adam914 »

TruePoint wrote:
URI_05 wrote:Just reading the few Giants message boards that I frequent, a lot of people in Jersey think Rutgers would be nuts to go after Hurley.
I hope that is the prevailing opinion. I'm pretty concerned. Best case scenario is that they view Giannini as safer and easier to sell in contrast to what they just got rid of. I don't know, though. I'm legitimately concerned.
I'm concerned as well, just because I never expected it to be this prevelant that everyone thinks they should go after Hurley. But that said, I still think he stays. If he does end up leaving, I'll be honest and say he's not the guy I thought he was. I have faith he stays though.
Iggy1979
Sly Williams

Unread post by Iggy1979 »

The only names on Zag's list that make sense to me are Amaker and Howland. Giannini would be a mistake. He's Baron with one NCAA appearance. Most of the other guys have been fired for losing.
I wish the list was stronger; that would make me feel better.
"Every season, college basketball has one or two teams that rise from dormancy to relevancy, squads that make long-awaited charges at the NCAA Tournament and become really fun storylines along the way."
RF1
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by RF1 »

Hurley's sideline demeanor may not be something Rutgers wants at this time. While that may not ordinarly be a concern, given what just trasnpired at Rutgers, it may be for them right now.
rhodyfan3
ARD

Unread post by rhodyfan3 »

I can honestly see Rutgers going after Hurley. He's a good coach, young, and is a local celebrity. I just want to hear from Dan that he's committed to staying here and finish what he had started.
rjsuperfly66
Carlton Owens

Unread post by rjsuperfly66 »

Rod,

Why should Hurley say he isn't interested? Why not hear them out for a few days and see what they are offering? Odds are he turns down the deal anyway, but if someone were to offer me a raise and promotion (and yes, Rutgers is a promotion to URI conference wise), why not at least let them tickle you for a bit to see if they can give you the "offer you can't refuse?"
ramfan85
Carlton Owens

Unread post by ramfan85 »

It would be pretty bad if Hurley left, right after his brother just left to be a head coach. If he'd stayed, he'd probably get the job here. Bad timing all around. But, then again, that's not new for our program.
Ramulous
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Ramulous »

I will feel as bad as I did when the Harrick scenario occurred if Dan does indeed go after only one year here.
F*ck Alacki, DarthFriar, DirtyBeanFriar94, xCoachK, Boxworth, Friar Faithful, bicycleicycle, Matt_Keough, Patrick Norton, the Rosato brothers, and especially Benjamin Lord !
ATPTourFan
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ATPTourFan »

neil wrote:I've always been an idealist. I can't imagine Coach looking Gil right in the eyes and saying he's leaving for the money. We'll find out soon.
Agreed, Neil.

In this case, Danny is still new to D1 and building his legacy. So far, he has little to show other than a turnaround at Wagner that produced no post-season whatsoever and an 8 win season here.

I think there's NO way he works with his transfers and his guys all season and bolts weeks after his brother goes. As a head coach, you only get so many withdrawals from the Bank of Trust. Dan doesn't have enough on-court success to have built up a huge reserve in that area just yet.

I'm honestly not worried about it. Looking forward to Dan simply saying, "no thanks, I want to build a NCAA winner here in Kingston and I'm not considering any other positions".

Dan himself said, "I'm not a mover." I believe him. He NEEDS to stay in Kingston to make a GREAT next job available, not just Rutgers because it's Jersey. It's WAY more complicated than that. Right now, all these articles are being written simply because Hurley=Jersey Basketball, but they are not considering anything more than the most superficial, obvious facts (Dan's from Jersey, therefore he wants to go to Rutgers... I think not).
Support Coach Miller & Rhody Basketball! Give to the Athletic Director's Fund
rhodylaw
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by rhodylaw »

Believe it or not I think this would have been a better job for bobby - that program needs a good ambassador and he would do well enough there to meet the Rutgers expectations which are low.

Hoping Danny doesn't go but I would understand if he did - of course that makes me more pissed that bobby took the buffalo job. He would be able to slide over.
URI_05
ARD

Re: And it begins.. Renewed Speculation of Dan Hurley to Rut

Unread post by URI_05 »

http://zagsblog.com/articles/melissa-hu ... s-in-flux/
Meantime, Dan Hurley is currently the head coach at Rhode Island and Bobby Hurley just accepted the job at Buffalo. Sources close to the family said it was unlikely that either Hurley brother would take the Rutgers job because their families are just getting settled in their new spots.
Ramulous
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Ramulous »

That would be a tremendous bridge solution for Rutgers....the elder Hurley takes over for 3 years and then either Dan or Bobby would have the resume to succeed him.....
F*ck Alacki, DarthFriar, DirtyBeanFriar94, xCoachK, Boxworth, Friar Faithful, bicycleicycle, Matt_Keough, Patrick Norton, the Rosato brothers, and especially Benjamin Lord !
adam914
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by adam914 »

Finally we hear something with some actual "sources". Lets hope they are right.
BFC
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by BFC »

Danny Hurley - Head coach, Rhode Island
Age - 40
Skinny - Hurley is a well-known name in basketball circles thanks to his own exploits and those of his father and older brother. His URI team struggled this season, but he secured a strong recruiting class going into next year, including Rutgers transfer Gilvydas Biruta. He already turned around the program at Wagner College in his two seasons there and holds impeccable recruiting ties into the North Jersey/New York area. Doesn't have the most experience on the list, but might have the highest 'name' factor, at least in the area.
http://rutgers.rivals.com/content.asp?CID=1491134
SmartyBarrett
Sly Williams

Unread post by SmartyBarrett »

Ramulous wrote:That would be a tremendous bridge solution for Rutgers....the elder Hurley takes over for 3 years and then either Dan or Bobby would have the resume to succeed him.....
All speculation, and it's a long way away, but I wonder if Dan or Bobby would be averse to taking over for their father for the same reason Bobby was (reportedly) not interested in following in his brother's footsteps at Wagner.
Last edited by SmartyBarrett 11 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
Blue Man
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Blue Man »

Rutgers is beneath Dan. Hurley is smart and while I honestly think he'll be here a while (his contract at least) because he will be able to win here. That's all he cares about. That's the only reason he left Wagner.

Say what we want about our facilities or anything else - we are still a good size school, with a good size arena, in a multi bid conference. Wagner is a crap tiny school, in an auto-bid only conference. He realized that a maxed out Wagner school isn't.

Rutgers is going to be a doormat. Period. They are going to be the Fordham or DePaul of the Big10.

Not even Dan will be able to get that school turned around, simply because they're in too deep of water.

And...money aside, how many rebuilding projects does he want before he finally gets the payback?

He hates losing. 2 of the last 3 years of his coaching career have been plagued with that. Do you think he wants 2 more...at least?

URI is the perfect situation for Dan and his family right now. He's a head coach, about to see the fruits of his work pay off, in a conference he's able to win in much easier, and then go the the NCAAs, which is all he wants.

If he could've done that at Wagner, he'd have stayed. That's why he's here.
If you say you’re a Rhody fan, I know you are my brother. For you have suffered as I have suffered.

Give to the Athletic Director's Fund

Give to Rhody's NIL
RIFan
Carlton Owens

Unread post by RIFan »

This is pure torture, and I suspect we will go through this every season until we pay $1m+/ year. Even then, that may not be enough. I hope that if Dan was instrumental in keeping Thorr, then he will feel an obligation to stay for Thorr. As others have pointed out...the fact that Bobby just left makes the timing even worse.

We need these rumors stopped ASAP...it will hurt on the recruiting trail. He needs to do what Smart and Stevens did and come out today and say he is not interested.
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by Billyboy78 »

RIFan wrote:This is pure torture, and I suspect we will go through this every season until we pay $1m+/ year. Even then, that may not be enough. I hope that if Dan was instrumental in keeping Thorr, then he will feel an obligation to stay for Thorr. As others have pointed out...the fact that Bobby just left makes the timing even worse.

We need these rumors stopped ASAP...it will hurt on the recruiting trail. He needs to do what Smart and Stevens did and come out today and say he is not interested.
And we supposedly have a recruit (Reynolds) visiting today. If Dan has absolutely no intention of listening to Rutgers, he needs to reassure this possible recruit on this visit.
sf2010
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by sf2010 »

Both my heart and my head say that this is not the right opportunity/time for Hurley to leave for greener pastures, but like many others have said, I will feel a lot better about it once we have confirmation.
bigappleram
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by bigappleram »

I cant see him leaving the 6 guys he convinced to come here after just 1 year. That does not seem in character.

I also cant see a BCS school throwing 1.5-2MM/year at a guy based purely on potential and name value, which is what they would be doing.

If the money were only marginally better it would make zero sense from a career standpoint for him to make the move now. So the money will have to dwarf the 600-700K he is making at URI. Also mind you, 700K in RI has to equate to over 1MM in New Jersey in terms of cost of living.

Despite all this, money has a crazy way of changing things. That is the intangible.

The longer he doesn't address it publically the worse I will feel.
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Most of the chatter from the so called 'basketball experts' think Rutgers next coach will be Dan Hurley or Eddie Jordan.
3wisemen
Jeff Kent

Unread post by 3wisemen »

bigappleram wrote:I cant see him leaving the 6 guys he convinced to come here after just 1 year. That does not seem in character.

I also cant see a BCS school throwing 1.5-2MM/year at a guy based purely on potential and name value, which is what they would be doing.

If the money were only marginally better it would make zero sense from a career standpoint for him to make the move now. So the money will have to dwarf the 600-700K he is making at URI. Also mind you, 700K in RI has to equate to over 1MM in New Jersey in terms of cost of living.

Despite all this, money has a crazy way of changing things. That is the intangible.

Did you see what just happened at USC? They swung and missed a couple times (Josh Pastner, etc.) and then hired Andy Enfield. He was nobody a month ago. They got him at a relative discount because he's already a multi-millionaire.
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

I don't see how people can say that Dan Hurley is not qualified at this time to take the Rutgers job.
So put yourselves in the shoes of the AD at Rutgers..............would you ask Dan Hurley to take the job of Head Coach of your basketball Team? I would.
Then you have to look at the opportunity to go to the Big 10. Ohio State, Michigan - two powerhouses in Basketball. Get out of the Big East mess.
I will be pleasantly surprised if he stays at URI.
I hope he stays.
But it will not be because he is not ready for Rutgers yet - he is certainly ready and I do not want to lose him.
rodfromcranston
Frank Keaney

They're talking about Howland, Amaker, Greenberg and several other high profile candidates.
I love Dan Hurley, but all of these guys offer a track record that he can't.
The so called "experts" are talking out of their collective asses, when it comes to this job, anyway.
You think Rutgers' AD is naming names or trying to save his career?
You think Jabba Christie knows a basketball hoop from a hole in the ground?
Yeah, but I'm in denial again.
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

A lot of basketball writers are bringing up his name, from Sports Illustrated to the kid Kline and many in between. I don't think he would leave all these kids that he convinced to come here before any one of them ever plays a game. But I don't think that there is zero chance it will happen either.
rhodyfan3
ARD

Unread post by rhodyfan3 »

Billyboy78 wrote:A lot of basketball writers are bringing up his name, from Sports Illustrated to the kid Kline and many in between. I don't think he would leave all these kids that he convinced to come here before any one of them ever plays a game. But I don't think that there is zero chance it will happen either.
I feel the exact same way. I don't think Dan would do that either but you never know. I'm not worried necessarily, but I will feel much better once they find someone else or if Dan puts out there that he is here to stay.
rodfromcranston
Frank Keaney

Expand
Adam Zagoria ‏@AdamZagoria 2h
A few other options at Rutgers... John Giannini, Chris Mack and Chris Mooney
Obadiah
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Obadiah »

It's understandable for Dan to be considered for this job, however bad that may be for URI. I never thought he would leave after only one year in Kingston, but sometimes the fates line up against you.

I agree, if Dan has no intention of leaving, then he should make that publicly known quickly to end all the rumors. Until that happens we are left to dangle and wonder.
RIFan
Carlton Owens

Unread post by RIFan »

Every moment that passes that Dan does not make a public statement that he is not interested, is bad for us.
bigappleram
Ernie Calverley

3wisemen wrote:
bigappleram wrote:I cant see him leaving the 6 guys he convinced to come here after just 1 year. That does not seem in character.

Did you see what just happened at USC? They swung and missed a couple times (Josh Pastner, etc.) and then hired Andy Enfield. He was nobody a month ago. They got him at a relative discount because he's already a multi-millionaire.
The difference is Enfield just coached a team to the sweet sixteen....Dan coached a team to 8 wins? Yes he has shown early returns on recruiting and attracting talent and obv has the Jersey pipeline, but his on court results are less than stellar in 3 years of college ball. URI can afford to take a gamble based on potential and name value, can a Big 10 school do the same? Not usually, maybe cellar dweller Rutgers is an exception. And not only take a chance on him, but also double or triple his salary to make it compelling enough to leave the team he has finally set up for success.
rodfromcranston
Frank Keaney

Double or triple his salary? The guy who just got fired makes about the same
as Dan does at URI!
If they break the bank, it will be on some of the bigger names mentioned by Zags.
Again, remember, Zags is the Hurley and Carr mouthpiece.
When he says family doesn't want to move, he's hearing it from someone close.
bigappleram
Ernie Calverley

Agree Rod, but in my mind he would hang up the phone if they werent talking seven figures. How could he even consider if the pay is not life changing.
Gonebarongone
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by Gonebarongone »

The #1 concern is that DH has not found a single outlet to say, "you now what? I'm committed to URI." The old man has already snuffed out speculation that he might take the job. It's not that hard to find someone in the media that you trust and have him report it. If it goes into tomorrow without a comment from DH, I'd be a little worried.
My best, speculation only guess, is that DH is on the list (although who knows how long Pernetti will be around) and will be offered an interview (who knows if he'll take it). Pernetti and Hurley are basically the same age and from the same area. If anyone appreciates the Hurley name and what it could bring to a program in NJ, it is him. DH probably won't be the first offer (although a re-tread like Greenberg would be dead on arrival at a place like RU) but, as you saw with Enfield, you never know what will happen after 2-3 guys say no.
Also, Rutgers paid Rice about $700k, but I would be very surprised if the next coach wasn't at $1.5MM plus. They are now in the Big Ten and really need to get this one right. On the cheap isn't going to work.
Rhody72
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Rhody72 »

Where there is smoke there is fire.

Thor's last great hire Rizzi lasted one year.

I expect Dan will listen to Rutgers and do what is best for his family and himself professionally. Bobby's departure was a harbinger of things to come for me.

Destiny has Preston being URI's next basketball coach. I was hoping that it would be later rather than sooner.

Calling someone who accepts a better job a whore is ridiculous.

A modest offer from Rutgers will far exceed what URI can offer.

Is there a buy-out clause that will indemnify URI?
NCAAs or Bust!
Justns11
Lamar Odom

Unread post by Justns11 »

Sources: Rutgers targeting Rhode Island coach Dan Hurley to replace Mike Rice
http://sports.yahoo.com/news/ncaab--sou ... 13613.html
Rhodyhooopz
Art Stephenson

Unread post by Rhodyhooopz »

Whateve happens this isnt good for URI. If he stays this year and We have succes next year it will happen again. How many times will he lsiten before he is gone. Grantesd the cupboard is a lot fuller than it was before he got here but this happening after year 1 doesnt bode well for the future.
"If you laugh, you think, and you cry, that's a full day. That's a heck of a day. You do that seven days a week, you're going to have something special" - Jim Valvano
URI_05
ARD

Unread post by URI_05 »

ATPTourFan
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ATPTourFan »

Booyah... That's Dan speaking through Zags.
Support Coach Miller & Rhody Basketball! Give to the Athletic Director's Fund
SmartyBarrett
Sly Williams

Unread post by SmartyBarrett »

I love that Zags is all over this, shooting down virtually everything he sees. So awesome.

Now let's hope he's right.