Ryan Center In-Game Experience - Issues and Upgrades

Talk about the men's team, upcoming opponents and news from around college hoop.
Taylor Swift
Carlton Owens

Re: Ryan Center In-Game Experience - Issues and Upgrades

Unread post by Taylor Swift »

$5 beer sounds reasonable. Keep it as a special the rest of the season. Can’t really go back to asking $13 for a can for the remaining home games.
0 x
ElmCityRhody
Sly Williams

Unread post by ElmCityRhody »

If anyone had half a brain they would approach Narragansett beer and have them fund a REAL PUB (not a blue shower curtain pub) but a real pub named after them - where in exchange they fund the entire project - and transform under thr main scoreboard into a legit pub w rhody hoops themed pub and they can even have advertising rights w a big Narragansett beer pub sign where the blue wall is

It’s a slam dunk for all parties involved

If only anyone had a half a brain and thought outside the box

And while they have a construction crew there - they might as well send someone over w a freaking hard hat on and a pair of scissors to take down the black shower curtain
1 x
Taylor Swift
Carlton Owens

ElmCityRhody wrote: 2 months ago If anyone had half a brain they would approach Narragansett beer and have them fund a REAL PUB (not a blue shower curtain pub) but a real pub named after them - where in exchange they fund the entire project - and transform under thr main scoreboard into a legit pub w rhody hoops themed pub and they can even have advertising rights w a big Narragansett beer pub sign where the blue wall is

And while they have a construction crew there - they might as well send someone over w a freaking hard hat on and a pair of scissors to take down the black shower curtain

This is an excellent idea. Narragansett Beer has an upcoming Beer Pairing dinner at Coast Guard House. There’s clearly a good partnership between those two places!
0 x
RI_Bred
Carlton Owens

Unread post by RI_Bred »

ElmCityRhody wrote: 2 months ago If anyone had half a brain they would approach Narragansett beer and have them fund a REAL PUB (not a blue shower curtain pub) but a real pub named after them - where in exchange they fund the entire project - and transform under thr main scoreboard into a legit pub w rhody hoops themed pub and they can even have advertising rights w a big Narragansett beer pub sign where the blue wall is

It's a great idea. I guarantee there is some restriction in place where they can't have seating of more than X people due to them already selling beers from the concession, or something dumb like that. Kingston is still a dry town minus the RC, so there's probably hinderances. Otherwise this would be too easy of an idea!
1 x
Mobley was fouled.
Rhodymob05
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhodymob05 »

Doesn’t Whalers have some sort of marketing sponsorship with URI as well? Can one beer company make a single pup?
0 x
GO RAMS
79RhodyFan
Steve Chubin

Unread post by 79RhodyFan »

LoveThoseRams wrote: 2 months ago
Rhody15 wrote: 2 months ago
Blue Man wrote: 2 months ago Holy shit. We continue to miss the mark so poorly.

Duquesne advertises $1 beers.
Because everything we do is unoriginal, forced, unorganic, and a poor replica of what we see others do, we too are doing a beer "special"

Why. Why do we suck so so so sooooo hard.

I get it. Beer prices are exorbitantly inflated at arenas. People buy them. It is what it is.

However. To act like you're doing people a favor. Making a "special" and still charging a 700% mark-up above what it would cost a consumer at a packy is so far off base I can't even begin to describe it.

WHY CAN'T WE DO ANYTHING RIGHT!?

I never see PC doing a "beer special" they just charge what they charge, give it to you fast, and go on with their lives.

If you're going to do something "special" do a $1 beer. Or don't and SHUT THE FUCK UP.

STOP SUCKING SO HARD WHY DO I LOVE THIS PROGRAM SO MUCH WHEN ALL THEY DO IS SUCK AT EVERYTHING.
We wanted a beer night.

We got a beer night.

UConn did a beer night. Who cares if PC doesn’t?

Who cares if we weren’t first or the cheapest.

You won’t find much cheaper, if at all, than $5 for a 16 oz beer at a restaurant or brewery.

It’s better than nothing.

There really can’t be anything to complain or get that angry about.
Mark the calendar, I am in FULL AGREEMENT with Rhody15 on this one.

Remember when we complained that there were no beers in the seat?
WE NOW HAVE BEERS IN THE SEAT.

Remember when we complained that other schools have beer specials?
WE NOW HAVE A BEER SPECIAL

Pul-leeze, lets actually like something that this program does!!
I can't believe it either I agree with 15 too, I guess there really is a first time for everything! And its almost a positive take from 15! BM I almost always agree with your takes but not this one. $5 beer at a sports venue has to be a good thing no matter how you slice it. I hope the beer lines aren't too long but that's a different story. I did notice the lines on one side of the RC are a lot longer than the other side so if you walk around you can usually find shorter lines.
2 x
Rhody15
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Rhody15 »

79RhodyFan wrote: 2 months ago

We wanted a beer night.

We got a beer night.

UConn did a beer night. Who cares if PC doesn’t?

Who cares if we weren’t first or the cheapest.

You won’t find much cheaper, if at all, than $5 for a 16 oz beer at a restaurant or brewery.

It’s better than nothing.

There really can’t be anything to complain or get that angry about.
Mark the calendar, I am in FULL AGREEMENT with Rhody15 on this one.

Remember when we complained that there were no beers in the seat?
WE NOW HAVE BEERS IN THE SEAT.

Remember when we complained that other schools have beer specials?
WE NOW HAVE A BEER SPECIAL

Pul-leeze, lets actually like something that this program does!!
I can't believe it either I agree with 15 too, I guess there really is a first time for everything! And its almost a positive take from 15! BM I almost always agree with your takes but not this one. $5 beer at a sports venue has to be a good thing no matter how you slice it. I hope the beer lines aren't too long but that's a different story. I did notice the lines on one side of the RC are a lot longer than the other side so if you walk around you can usually find shorter lines.
There needs to be portable coolers on wheels around the concourse for quick and easy beer access.

Not but tonight, but for all games as well.
1 x
Go Rhody
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by Billyboy78 »

Rhodymob05 wrote: 2 months ago The marketing department is doing their part to get asses in seats.
I don't think this a bad idea like Blue Man does. If people at the game want to have a couple of 5 dollar beers, that's fine. But how many people will actually go to the game BECAUSE of this promotion. My guess is zero. If the product on the court right now was better, maybe a few casual fans would bite. But with this team, I don't think a casual fan sits and watches this team because they can get a beer for 5 dollars. Maybe I'm wrong. We'll see what the attendance is tonight.
2 x
Taylor Swift
Carlton Owens

Billyboy78 wrote: 2 months ago
Rhodymob05 wrote: 2 months ago The marketing department is doing their part to get asses in seats.
I don't think this a bad idea like Blue Man does. If people at the game want to have a couple of 5 dollar beers, that's fine. But how many people will actually go to the game BECAUSE of this promotion. My guess is zero. If the product on the court right now was better, maybe a few casual fans would bite. But with this team, I don't think a casual fan sits and watches this team because they can get a beer for 5 dollars. Maybe I'm wrong. We'll see what the attendance is tonight.

You’re not wrong!
0 x
KeaneyBluBallz
Art Stephenson

Unread post by KeaneyBluBallz »

Taylor Swift wrote: 2 months ago

This is an excellent idea. Narragansett Beer has an upcoming Beer Pairing dinner at Coast Guard House. There’s clearly a good partnership between those two places!
my guess is this... the other side of the coin, what is the ROI for these potential sponsors and setup? certainly converting space in the RC is costly and will have many hoops to jump through and the branding that comes along with it.

the building is 1/4 full right now.

Their sponsorship dollars are better allocated elsewhere.

ya'll make it sound like URI. has a waiting list for corporate sponsorship opportunities. in sports marketing literally, everything is for sale. you can sell the rights to name the doors opening to the building or the metal detectors out front. it's up to URI to go out and sell, it's not up to business big and small to come knocking.
Last edited by KeaneyBluBallz 2 months ago, edited 1 time in total.
2 x
:lol:
rhodyrudder
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by rhodyrudder »

Blue Man wrote: 2 months ago
Billyboy78 wrote: 2 months ago
Blue Man wrote: 2 months ago Holy shit. We continue to miss the mark so poorly.

Duquesne advertises $1 beers.
Because everything we do is unoriginal, forced, unorganic, and a poor replica of what we see others do, we too are doing a beer "special"

Why. Why do we suck so so so sooooo hard.

I get it. Beer prices are exorbitantly inflated at arenas. People buy them. It is what it is.

However. To act like you're doing people a favor. Making a "special" and still charging a 700% mark-up above what it would cost a consumer at a packy is so far off base I can't even begin to describe it.

WHY CAN'T WE DO ANYTHING RIGHT!?

I never see PC doing a "beer special" they just charge what they charge, give it to you fast, and go on with their lives.

If you're going to do something "special" do a $1 beer. Or don't and SHUT THE FUCK UP.

STOP SUCKING SO HARD WHY DO I LOVE THIS PROGRAM SO MUCH WHEN ALL THEY DO IS SUCK AT EVERYTHING.
1 dollar beers would be great. But can you imagine the lines with how bad our concession people are? Nobody would be in their seats watching the game.
Then don't do anything. You're advertising a "special" because you don't think the basketball won't bring in the crowds, so you need something else to do it. Either do something actually special, or say nothing. It's actually an art with how badly we fuck everything up from a game day experience perspective.

Global Spectrum. Oak View Group. Whoever. Is it them? Or is it us? Because it can't be this fucking stupid and non-sensical in other places. We just can't get out of our own way. With ANYTHING.

ASM Global manages the AMP. I don't know how long they've managed it, but the PC gameday experience is head and shoulders above URI, and it has been for as long as I can remember.

From the liquor/booze options. The food options. The speed of which you get your drinks or food. The entrance process. The replays. The WiFi. How the fans are treated by staff. Having ushers that understand when people should go down to their seats. Etc, etc.

I don't think I'm asking for the world. I'm asking for what seemingly every other collegiate arena experience is at a high major level, including regional programs of whom we have similar aspirations of.

Just another in an ever growing list of fuck-ups that weighs heavier when the on-court performance is lacking.
Ya but we have a shower curtain!
1 x
steviep123
Sly Williams

Unread post by steviep123 »

I love this idea in general, but is that area large enough for it? Would it create a "fire hazard" for lack of a better term as having it there could block exits in the event of an emergency? I don't want to rain on this parade, but I think those are legit concerns that could prevent such a thing.
1 x
Bleed Keaney Blue!

”I'm not coming there to be in the top 3 of the Atlantic 10. I'm coming to win the damn thing!”
LoveThoseRams
Tom Garrick

Unread post by LoveThoseRams »

Not a bad idea!!
If I am not mistaken, Narragansett is owned by private equity firm Point Judith Capital. That is Dave Martorano, Managing Partner, who is a big supporter of the program.
2 x
theblueram
Frank Keaney

Unread post by theblueram »

Not a bad idea!!
If I am not mistaken, Narragansett is owned by private equity firm Point Judith Capital. That is Dave Martorano, Managing Partner, who is a big supporter of the program.
The administration needs more people who graduated from URI it seems. :lol:
2 x
ElmCityRhody
Sly Williams

steviep123 wrote: 2 months ago

I love this idea in general, but is that area large enough for it? Would it create a "fire hazard" for lack of a better term as having it there could block exits in the event of an emergency? I don't want to rain on this parade, but I think those are legit concerns that could prevent such a thing.

they can the back of the area closer to the scoreboard as a walk thru (??)

i would even get rid of the blue wall and create a unique standing pub area space there and enclose the circle
0 x
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

Unread post by RhowdyRam02 »

Imagine doing all this planning on the message board and hoping the athletic department goes through all of this money and work to remodel the Ryan Center all for the end result of having a bigger place to sell shitty Narragansett beer. Think small, you are
2 x
Take down the Robert Carothers banner and fix the concession stand lines
RI_Bred
Carlton Owens

Unread post by RI_Bred »

At the very least they could use the area formerly known as Rhody Pub or whatever it was to have a couple of stand-alone beer coolers for faster service.
2 x
Mobley was fouled.
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

Unread post by RhowdyRam02 »

RI_Bred wrote: 2 months ago At the very least they could use the area formerly known as Rhody Pub or whatever it was to have a couple of stand-alone beer coolers for faster service.
They should use one, if not both, for beer only sales that can be taken back to the seats. That should shrink the lines for both beer and other concessions and make everything faster
1 x
Take down the Robert Carothers banner and fix the concession stand lines
section(105)
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by section(105) »

Is it crazy to think “they” (URI Admin/RC management) don’t want to have easy access to less expensive beer due potential crowd control issues?
3 x
Ram logo via Grist 1938
theblueram
Frank Keaney

Unread post by theblueram »

section(105) wrote: 2 months ago Is it crazy to think “they” (URI Admin/RC management) don’t want to have easy access to less expensive beer due potential crowd control issues?
Hell, the Rhody Pub had dollar fifty pitchers and never had any problems.
0 x
ElmCityRhody
Sly Williams

RhowdyRam02 wrote: 2 months ago Imagine doing all this planning on the message board and hoping the athletic department goes through all of this money and work to remodel the Ryan Center all for the end result of having a bigger place to sell shitty Narragansett beer. Think small, you are

You nailed it

I always think small

Award that man a real beer !
1 x
Jdrums#3
Sly Williams

Unread post by Jdrums#3 »

Not as excited as usual on game day. The losing is frustrating. I am hoping the experienced guys (DG, Kort, House, Westin, etc) step up and supplement the improving young guys (Cam, Fuchs, big Fou) to get us a win tonight.

Go Rhody!
0 x
section(105)
Ernie Calverley

A loss here will be further downhill slide. Side note, ran into a IU fan in FL today. He asked me if we “like” packline, he chuckled when I said we have given up 90s recently, and commented that the IU teams couldn’t guard pool furniture.
0 x
Ram logo via Grist 1938
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

Unread post by NYGFan_Section208 »

RhowdyRam02 wrote: 2 months ago
RI_Bred wrote: 2 months ago At the very least they could use the area formerly known as Rhody Pub or whatever it was to have a couple of stand-alone beer coolers for faster service.
They should use one, if not both, for beer only sales that can be taken back to the seats. That should shrink the lines for both beer and other concessions and make everything faster
We don't do that here
1 x
Rhody15
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Rhody15 »

section(105) wrote: 2 months ago A loss here will be further downhill slide. Side note, ran into a IU fan in FL today. He asked me if we “like” packline, he chuckled when I said we have given up 90s recently, and commented that the IU teams couldn’t guard pool furniture.
Seems like it’s moreso the defense than our players then.
0 x
Go Rhody
RhodyKyle
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by RhodyKyle »

section(105) wrote: 2 months ago A loss here will be further downhill slide. Side note, ran into a IU fan in FL today. He asked me if we “like” packline, he chuckled when I said we have given up 90s recently, and commented that the IU teams couldn’t guard pool furniture.
Seems like it’s moreso the defense than our players then.
Except at IU during Archie's tenure they were ranked 65, 32, 26, and 43 in adjusted defensive efficiency at KenPom. I think it's sour grapes from an IU fan who wants to take part in more dog piling on Archie.
2 x
gazakaza
Steve Chubin

Unread post by gazakaza »

Anyone else getting annoyed more and more by the balloons that are given to the Ruckus in the second half. Think its a great idea for big games like PC or Dayton but why for smaller games like Lasalle. The balloons are always either popped which is wicked annoying or they get made into something stupid, especially the passing of the balloon chain.

I doubt using it every game will keep that advantage.
1 x
section(105)
Ernie Calverley

No, looks decent on TV, the balloon motions block the empty seats!
2 x
Ram logo via Grist 1938
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

gazakaza wrote: 2 months ago Anyone else getting annoyed more and more by the balloons that are given to the Ruckus in the second half. Think its a great idea for big games like PC or Dayton but why for smaller games like Lasalle. The balloons are always either popped which is wicked annoying or they get made into something stupid, especially the passing of the balloon chain.

I'm not sure why people dump on the balloons. Those balloons show more enthusiasm than most of the crowd. Keep the balloons, have them every game, give each fan a handful when they come in
Last edited by NYGFan_Section208 2 months ago, edited 1 time in total.
5 x
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

Taylor Swift wrote: 2 months ago $5 beer sounds reasonable. Keep it as a special the rest of the season. Can’t really go back to asking $13 for a can for the remaining home games.
I'm going to bet they can...
2 x
gorhody89
ARD

Unread post by gorhody89 »

Always thought the balloons were a pretty pathetic look and wish they would stop
0 x
Clapton is God
79RhodyFan
Steve Chubin

Unread post by 79RhodyFan »

I like the balloons. Anything that can keep help keep up the energy level in the building is a plus but I like the $5 beer better. I went for pizza before the game and paid $6.50 for a 16oz Narragansett I loved to the Ryan Center and getting a better deal at $5
2 x
section(105)
Ernie Calverley

Taylor Swift wrote: 2 months ago

I think I saw on CG House promo one of the courses, never thought I would see frog legs and Gansetts on a menu
0 x
Ram logo via Grist 1938
bigappleram
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by bigappleram »

Now we hate balloons? Sheesh. IMO let the students do whatever the hell they want.
5 x
RF1
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by RF1 »

This thread has devolved into a Fellowship of the Miserable. Some Rhody fans seem to hate nearly everything these days.
1 x
Rhody15
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Rhody15 »

bigappleram wrote: 2 months ago Now we hate balloons? Sheesh. IMO let the students do whatever the hell they want.
Spot on.

People really complaining about goddamn balloons.
0 x
Go Rhody
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

bigappleram wrote: 2 months ago Now we hate balloons? Sheesh. IMO let the students do whatever the hell they want.
Spot on.

Worse yet,
People complaining about people complaining about balloons. On a message board no less. On a thread that is 10 years old that has only led to 1 improvement - beer in seats at Ryan Center.
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
2 x
Blue Man
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Blue Man »

RF1 wrote: 2 months ago This thread has devolved into a Fellowship of the Miserable. Some Rhody fans seem to hate nearly everything these days.
I mean this thread is literally about the issues with the Ryan Center.

Though I agree - balloons are probably one of the only good things that student section has done.

I couldn't see straight last night anyways because I had Yorke's voice pounding through my head, and that is my chief concern with the RC at the moment.

Doesn't take money. Doesn't take a policy change. Just takes the God damn sound engineer to turn the knob 1/4 inch to the fucking left.
5 x
If you say you’re a Rhody fan, I know you are my brother. For you have suffered as I have suffered.

Give to the Athletic Director's Fund

Give to Rhody's NIL
bigappleram
Ernie Calverley

Bc I have been a critic of the student broadcasts I will give credit where it is due to the kid Cam who has been on the call for a bunch of games.
He is getting better and brings good energy and seems to know the game in the PxP role. The other student on the broadcast last night I think was watching his first basketball game ever. It's the color commentary role that is the glaring issue with students - that role requires deep knowledge of the game, teams, players. Not their fault but they just don't have it. So they say things that are complete head scratchers in trying to analyze the action.
2 x
RI_Bred
Carlton Owens

Unread post by RI_Bred »

RF1 wrote: 2 months ago This thread has devolved into a Fellowship of the Miserable. Some Rhody fans seem to hate nearly everything these days.

Though I agree - balloons are probably one of the only good things that student section has done.

I couldn't see straight last night anyways because I had Yorke's voice pounding through my head, and that is my chief concern with the RC at the moment.

Doesn't take money. Doesn't take a policy change. Just takes the God damn sound engineer to turn the knob 1/4 inch to the fucking left.
I would love to speak to the people sitting directly in my area during the game in real time - you know - to comment on a play, or anything else going on at that moment. But because the PA and/or music is so f*cking loud, I end up having to either wait to speak - and that moment is now in the past - or try to scream over the noise. And then try to hear the response from my seat neighbors, which most of the time starts with "What?".

What do they not get? It has to be the same for the powers that be that attend the games? I'm looking at you Bjorn, Parlange, even EZ. You guys are at every game. Is this not seen as an issue by anyone in the management group?
5 x
Mobley was fouled.
adam914
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by adam914 »

Maybe its by design. They don't want people being able to talk about what they are seeing out there... :lol:
10 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

RI_Bred wrote: 2 months ago

I would love to speak to the people sitting directly in my area during the game in real time - you know - to comment on a play, or anything else going on at that moment. But because the PA and/or music is so f*cking loud, I end up having to either wait to speak - and that moment is now in the past - or try to scream over the noise. And then try to hear the response from my seat neighbors, which most of the time starts with "What?".

What do they not get? It has to be the same for the powers that be that attend the games? I'm looking at you Bjorn, Parlange, even EZ. You guys are at every game. Is this not seen as an issue by anyone in the management group?
And such a simple fix
0 x
Rhody15
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Rhody15 »

Saturday will be the first time alcohol is sold in Ann Arbor for a home Michigan basketball game.

At least we're not THAT behind the times.
Last edited by Rhody15 2 months ago, edited 1 time in total.
2 x
Go Rhody
Taylor Swift
Carlton Owens

ramster wrote: 2 months ago
Spot on.

Worse yet,
People complaining about people complaining about balloons. On a message board no less. On a thread that is 10 years old that has only led to 1 improvement - beer in seats at Ryan Center.
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

I am sitting here laughing that people complain about balloons! Where did the balloon hurt you?! 😆
4 x
KeaneyBluBallz
Art Stephenson

Unread post by KeaneyBluBallz »

imagine sucking so bad, now we're complaining about..... wait for it......

Balloons.

wild, wild stuff.
3 x
:lol:
LoveThoseRams
Tom Garrick

NYGFan_Section208 wrote: 2 months ago
gazakaza wrote: 2 months ago Anyone else getting annoyed more and more by the balloons that are given to the Ruckus in the second half. Think its a great idea for big games like PC or Dayton but why for smaller games like Lasalle. The balloons are always either popped which is wicked annoying or they get made into something stupid, especially the passing of the balloon chain.

I'm not sure why people dump on the balloons. Those balloons show more enthusiasm than most of the crowd. Keep the balloons, have them every game, give each fan a handful when they come in
I love the balloons and the balloon chain....
SHEESH...if you cant find something to complain about BLAME THE BALLOONS.
I thought it was pretty awesome that the President was in with the Ruckus sitting below the poster of his face.

Any complainers about that??
3 x
adam914
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by adam914 »

So far we have 2 people who complained about the balloons and about 10 who complained about the complaining about the balloons. Which is worse? Maybe we need a poll? :lol: Oh shit which category would this post fall in to though...
6 x
LoveThoseRams
Tom Garrick

adam914 wrote: 2 months ago So far we have 2 people who complained about the balloons and about 10 who complained about the complaining about the balloons. Which is worse? Maybe we need a poll? :lol: Oh shit which category would this post fall in to though...
I think we should have a poll on what the most popular complaint about the Ryan Center is.

I think the black shower curtain and Dan Yorke would be neck and neck.
2 x
bigappleram
Ernie Calverley

adam914 wrote: 2 months ago So far we have 2 people who complained about the balloons and about 10 who complained about the complaining about the balloons. Which is worse? Maybe we need a poll? :lol: Oh shit which category would this post fall in to though...
as they say on X...ratioed :)
1 x
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

My buddy went for the $5 gansett last night. I asked him how it was...he said "awful".
I had the regular over-priced decent stuff and actually looked at it like I saved $5 ;)
2 x