Ryan Center In-Game Experience - Issues and Upgrades

Talk about the men's team, upcoming opponents and news from around college hoop.
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

Re: Ryan Center In-Game Experience - Issues and Upgrades

Unread post by RhowdyRam02 »

Rhody15 wrote: 3 months ago
theblueram wrote: 3 months ago Last time I went to the Conte Center there was no security. Just walk in and check your ticket. Maybe, people should chill. 9/11 was like 23 years ago. No need for the extra security anymore.
Do you really think metal detectors are currently being used because of 9/11? You serious?

No, they’re being used cus people are batshit crazy these days anywhere, any place, any time.

Metal detectors for an indoor sporting event isn’t even “extra” security.

It’s standard at this point at the majority of arenas in the country.

Just put more of them in and things will move quicker.
Seems pretty odd that they'd wait more than 15 years to add metal detectors because of 9/11.

Most venues added extra security after the Eagles of Death Metal 2015 Paris concert where there was a shooting and a 2017 Ariana Grande concert in Manchester, England where someone had a backpack bomb
2 x
Take down the Robert Carothers banner and fix the concession stand lines
RI_Bred
Carlton Owens

Unread post by RI_Bred »

As Rhody15 said, put more detectors in. There are plenty of doors.

And while I am at it, why do they have to have the giant table of URI propaganda set up to the left of the main entrance when you get into the lobby? It squeezes the fans between it and the concession stand, and creates a standstill for people trying to get into the arena.
0 x
Mobley was fouled.
Obadiah
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Obadiah »

It's not a propaganda table. It is the entrance and sign-in for people who have accepted an invitation to the several suites on that level. They get name tags and other information since some may have never been in the Ryan Center before.
2 x
RI_Bred
Carlton Owens

Unread post by RI_Bred »

Ok my bad, but it's in a bad spot at a bad time.
1 x
Mobley was fouled.
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

Unread post by NYGFan_Section208 »

Obadiah wrote: 3 months ago It's not a propaganda table. It is the entrance and sign-in for people who have accepted an invitation to the several suites on that level. They get name tags and other information since some may have never been in the Ryan Center before.
There's suites on the ground level?
0 x
LoveThoseRams
Tom Garrick

Unread post by LoveThoseRams »

NYGFan_Section208 wrote: 3 months ago
Obadiah wrote: 3 months ago It's not a propaganda table. It is the entrance and sign-in for people who have accepted an invitation to the several suites on that level. They get name tags and other information since some may have never been in the Ryan Center before.
You are misreading this response...suites on "that" level...is the suite floor/level. If invited to watch in a suite, there is usually a name tag and some swag for you when you walk in.

I do think that perhaps one line and metal detector for suites may be a bit of overkill.
0 x
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

LoveThoseRams wrote: 3 months ago
You are misreading this response...suites on "that" level...is the suite floor/level. If invited to watch in a suite, there is usually a name tag and some swag for you when you walk in.

I do think that perhaps one line and metal detector for suites may be a bit of overkill.
1 of 4 might be, one of a dozen, I get it. And. why can't they move the propaganda table to "that level"...where the suites are?
0 x
jcru
Sly Williams

Unread post by jcru »

The propaganda table also serves as the bottleneck table. Not to mention the make certain people feel welcome at the expense of other people table.

It's got a couple of jobs to do, NYG.
1 x
rhodyrudder
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by rhodyrudder »

I just want to get to my seat before the game starts.
If I’m in the parking lot by 645, it shouldn’t be that freakin hard.
0 x
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

jcru wrote: 3 months ago The propaganda table also serves as the bottleneck table. Not to mention the make certain people feel welcome at the expense of other people table.

It's got a couple of jobs to do, NYG.
OK, I guess it's actually pretty efficient then. Makes sense.
2 x
Jdrums#3
Sly Williams

Unread post by Jdrums#3 »

Propaganda table. :lol:

Always learning something new here. :lol:

Great stuff.
2 x
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

rhodyrudder wrote: 3 months ago I just want to get to my seat before the game starts.
With this run they're going on...will be between 5-6K actuals from here on in...645 is not going to cut it.
Just sayin'...6K crowds like we'll be having the rest of the year, if you're not in the lot til 645, you'll definitely miss the tip.
2 x
Rhody15
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Rhody15 »

rhodyrudder wrote: 3 months ago I just want to get to my seat before the game starts.
645 won’t cut it at the majority of arenas with 4K+ at games.
1 x
Go Rhody
Rhody15
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Rhody15 »

With this run they're going on...will be between 5-6K actuals from here on in...645 is not going to cut it.
Just sayin'...6K crowds like we'll be having the rest of the year, if you're not in the lot til 645, you'll definitely miss the tip.
Yup, 6:45 way too late.
0 x
Go Rhody
section(105)
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by section(105) »

Isn’t the gate/entrance dedicated for the President’s suite off to the left, a lane all to themselves? Looked like that to me. Of course, can’t those folks just deal with the other general public lanes?
1 x
Ram logo via Grist 1938
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

section(105) wrote: 3 months ago Isn’t the gate/entrance dedicated for the President’s suite off to the left, a lane all to themselves? Looked like that to me. Of course, can’t those folks just deal with the other general public lanes?
Co-mingled with those in steerage? Have you gone mad? But also...if you're not showing your ticket til you get inside...how do they know anyway?
0 x
Blue Man
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Blue Man »

Been to plenty that don’t have the bottleneck like we do.

The AMP is actually really efficient for the crowd and building they have.

There’s just no excuse. You can get more metal detectors and use some of the exit doors. It’s not hard.

It’s not like it’s a surprise of how many people are showing up.
1 x
If you say you’re a Rhody fan, I know you are my brother. For you have suffered as I have suffered.

Give to the Athletic Director's Fund

Give to Rhody's NIL
LoveThoseRams
Tom Garrick

Why not put the Suite folks at the door to the left, where the students enter? Really can’t be enough of them to have a dedicated line.
1 x
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

Blue Man wrote: 3 months ago

Been to plenty that don’t have the bottleneck like we do.

The AMP is actually really efficient for the crowd and building they have.

There’s just no excuse. You can get more metal detectors and use some of the exit doors. It’s not hard.

It’s not like it’s a surprise of how many people are showing up.
Um, it sure looks like it's a surprise...
0 x
Taylor Swift
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Taylor Swift »

ramster wrote: 3 months ago
theblueram wrote: 3 months ago Last time I went to the Conte Center there was no security. Just walk in and check your ticket. Maybe, people should chill. 9/11 was like 23 years ago. No need for the extra security anymore.
Do you really think metal detectors are currently being used because of 9/11? You serious?

No, they’re being used cus people are batshit crazy these days anywhere, any place, any time.

So why then with all these batshit crazy people around do we remove the detectors for the WBB Games?

So if someone brings in a gun or knife for a WBB game and does some damage I’d not want to be the AD or President explaining why for MBB but not for WBB.
Nothing for football either. Does it being outdoors change the security protocols? Absolutely not.
0 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

Taylor Swift wrote: 3 months ago
ramster wrote: 3 months ago

So why then with all these batshit crazy people around do we remove the detectors for the WBB Games?

So if someone brings in a gun or knife for a WBB game and does some damage I’d not want to be the AD or President explaining why for MBB but not for WBB.
Nothing for football either. Does it being outdoors change the security protocols? Absolutely not.
They use metal detection wands to check you at the entrance for URI football. You hold your arms up and turn around.
0 x
Taylor Swift
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Taylor Swift »

LoveThoseRams wrote: 3 months ago Why not put the Suite folks at the door to the left, where the students enter? Really can’t be enough of them to have a dedicated line.
Would it be the URIFAE who makes the call for these special lines? I highly doubt the arriving Karens would want to be around people in a line who aren’t going to suites. The lack of efficiency since these detectors were installed is baffling.
0 x
RhodyKyle
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by RhodyKyle »

0 x
Blue Man
Tyson Wheeler

Holy shit. We continue to miss the mark so poorly.

Duquesne advertises $1 beers.
Because everything we do is unoriginal, forced, unorganic, and a poor replica of what we see others do, we too are doing a beer "special"

Why. Why do we suck so so so sooooo hard.

I get it. Beer prices are exorbitantly inflated at arenas. People buy them. It is what it is.

However. To act like you're doing people a favor. Making a "special" and still charging a 700% mark-up above what it would cost a consumer at a packy is so far off base I can't even begin to describe it.

WHY CAN'T WE DO ANYTHING RIGHT!?

I never see PC doing a "beer special" they just charge what they charge, give it to you fast, and go on with their lives.

If you're going to do something "special" do a $1 beer. Or don't and SHUT THE FUCK UP.

STOP SUCKING SO HARD WHY DO I LOVE THIS PROGRAM SO MUCH WHEN ALL THEY DO IS SUCK AT EVERYTHING.
4 x
If you say you’re a Rhody fan, I know you are my brother. For you have suffered as I have suffered.

Give to Rhody's NIL
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by Billyboy78 »

Blue Man wrote: 2 months ago Holy shit. We continue to miss the mark so poorly.

Because everything we do is unoriginal, forced, unorganic, and a poor replica of what we see others do, we too are doing a beer "special"

I get it. Beer prices are exorbitantly inflated at arenas. People buy them. It is what it is.

However. To act like you're doing people a favor. Making a "special" and still charging a 700% mark-up above what it would cost a consumer at a packy is so far off base I can't even begin to describe it.

I never see PC doing a "beer special" they just charge what they charge, give it to you fast, and go on with their lives.

If you're going to do something "special" do a $1 beer. Or don't and SHUT THE FUCK UP.

STOP SUCKING SO HARD WHY DO I LOVE THIS PROGRAM SO MUCH WHEN ALL THEY DO IS SUCK AT EVERYTHING.
1 dollar beers would be great. But can you imagine the lines with how bad our concession people are? Nobody would be in their seats watching the game.
2 x
Rhody15
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Rhody15 »

We wanted a beer night.

We got a beer night.

UConn did a beer night. Who cares if PC doesn’t?

Who cares if we weren’t first or the cheapest.

You won’t find much cheaper, if at all, than $5 for a 16 oz beer at a restaurant or brewery.

It’s better than nothing.

There really can’t be anything to complain or get that angry about.
4 x
Go Rhody
Blue Man
Tyson Wheeler

Billyboy78 wrote: 2 months ago

1 dollar beers would be great. But can you imagine the lines with how bad our concession people are? Nobody would be in their seats watching the game.
Then don't do anything. You're advertising a "special" because you don't think the basketball won't bring in the crowds, so you need something else to do it. Either do something actually special, or say nothing. It's actually an art with how badly we fuck everything up from a game day experience perspective.

Global Spectrum. Oak View Group. Whoever. Is it them? Or is it us? Because it can't be this fucking stupid and non-sensical in other places. We just can't get out of our own way. With ANYTHING.

ASM Global manages the AMP. I don't know how long they've managed it, but the PC gameday experience is head and shoulders above URI, and it has been for as long as I can remember.

From the liquor/booze options. The food options. The speed of which you get your drinks or food. The entrance process. The replays. The WiFi. How the fans are treated by staff. Having ushers that understand when people should go down to their seats. Etc, etc.

I don't think I'm asking for the world. I'm asking for what seemingly every other collegiate arena experience is at a high major level, including regional programs of whom we have similar aspirations of.

Just another in an ever growing list of fuck-ups that weighs heavier when the on-court performance is lacking.
0 x

Give to Rhody's NIL
Blue Man
Tyson Wheeler

Rhody15 wrote: 2 months ago

We wanted a beer night.

We got a beer night.

You won’t find much cheaper, if at all, than $5 for a 16 oz beer at a restaurant or brewery.

I know this is your schtick - like you just take a point and argue against it because you have nothing better to do, and I appreciate that.

So I can't tell if you're being intentionally obtuse to satisfy that point, or if you really believe that a "beer night" is a "beer night." That's like saying "post season basketball" is "post season basketball" and claiming the NIT and the NCAA are the same thing.

But the latter is my problem because that's how the brainiacs around the Ryan Center think.

And if you weren't so deep into your schtick, you'd agree with me because I think you and I agree on the core problem with the majority of the URI fanbase is that they base everything on how it seems relative to Kingston, RI, and not to the outside world.

So this is one of those scenarios where "it's good because it's special that URI never does anything like this" instead of "wow, they really have no concept of reality and the outside world of arena management and game day experience down in Kingston."

Just like the people who act like we got a practice facility so there are no more excuses because Jim Harrick "recruited Lamar Odom out of a trailer" instead of recognizing that just because URI is doing more than they did historically, doesn't mean it's "enough" relative to the upper echelon of the college basketball world that we claim to care about being a part of.
4 x

Give to Rhody's NIL
Rhody15
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Rhody15 »

I just don’t think getting all up in arms about $5 beers one night is worth it.

We stink, everyone knows we stink, might as well have a few extra beers while we watch us give up 17 wide open 3s.
2 x
Go Rhody
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

And the "beer" is Narragansett, which is just piss flavored water that smells skunked right from the factory. Oh well...
1 x
RAM67
Art Stephenson

Unread post by RAM67 »

What? You don't remember Gansett GIQ's. Best deal around when I was a kid.
0 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

RhowdyRam02 wrote: 2 months ago

And the "beer" is Narragansett, which is just piss flavored water that smells skunked right from the factory. Oh well...
That sells for $13 normally at the Ryan Center if you can believe that.
2 x
KeaneyBluBallz
Art Stephenson

Unread post by KeaneyBluBallz »

Blue Man wrote: 2 months ago
Billyboy78 wrote: 2 months ago

Then don't do anything. You're advertising a "special" because you don't think the basketball won't bring in the crowds, so you need something else to do it. Either do something actually special, or say nothing. It's actually an art with how badly we fuck everything up from a game day experience perspective.

Global Spectrum. Oak View Group. Whoever. Is it them? Or is it us? Because it can't be this fucking stupid and non-sensical in other places. We just can't get out of our own way. With ANYTHING.

ASM Global manages the AMP. I don't know how long they've managed it, but the PC gameday experience is head and shoulders above URI, and it has been for as long as I can remember.

From the liquor/booze options. The food options. The speed of which you get your drinks or food. The entrance process. The replays. The WiFi. How the fans are treated by staff. Having ushers that understand when people should go down to their seats. Etc, etc.

I don't think I'm asking for the world. I'm asking for what seemingly every other collegiate arena experience is at a high major level, including regional programs of whom we have similar aspirations of.

Just another in an ever growing list of fuck-ups that weighs heavier when the on-court performance is lacking.
Look, I think this guy is a douche. and he probably thinks the same of me. but he's not wrong here.
0 x
:lol:
RI_Bred
Carlton Owens

Unread post by RI_Bred »

I still can't believe people shell our $14 or $15 for a Ganny on a "regular" night...what was that famous PT Barnum line again...?
2 x
Mobley was fouled.
Blue Man
Tyson Wheeler

Rhody15 wrote: 2 months ago I just don’t think getting all up in arms about $5 beers one night is worth it.

We stink, everyone knows we stink, might as well have a few extra beers while we watch us give up 17 wide open 3s.
Maybe. But I'm so emotionally depleted with this team at this point that I'll take any type of emotion associated with the program. So I'm going to be up in arms because that's my thing.

It's just so detached and it's such an easy punchline for anyone outside of the program looking in.

If you're doing any type of "special" to drive attendance, that means you're acknowledging it's no longer about the basketball and you're trying to drive attendance another way. Totally understand that and don't blame them for trying to do something.

But if we're now comparing a beer "special" at $5 for Gansetts only. You could get a cheaper Gansett at any number of bars much closer to people's homes. In fact, you could get an IPA on draught for $4.50 at most bars.

It's just so asinine and pathetic to act like a $5 Gansett is some driving force to bring in droves of people.

$1 beers? Hell yeah, that sounds like an awesome time. $5 Gansetts sounds lame as fuck. Which is so unfortunately fitting for how The Ryan Center continues to view the fan experience.
2 x

Give to Rhody's NIL
bigappleram
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by bigappleram »

If you really want to get frustrated buy a case of Bud Light and sit home 1 game and listen to our ESPN+ product. :)
(screamed from the basement)
7 x
hrstrat57
Sly Williams

Unread post by hrstrat57 »

Way too frequently we become that “cow college”

The dumb stuff we do is so dumb even a dummy knows it.

We can be better.

I actually like Gansett especially on Gano St…
0 x
We're gonna run the picket fence at "em.....now boys don't get caught watchin' the paint dry!
Blue Man
Tyson Wheeler

I did like that they ask you to drink responsibly.

Yeah, considering it would take me $50 to get drunk I think that'll be no problem.

For the college kids, I'm not even sure it's in their budget to get a buzz.
4 x

Give to Rhody's NIL
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

ramster wrote: 2 months ago
RhowdyRam02 wrote: 2 months ago

That sells for $13 normally at the Ryan Center if you can believe that.
I can believe they charge $13 for it, I can't believe it sells for that price though. Maybe that's why they're doing the deal, get rid of all of the unsold Narragansett before the expiration
2 x
Blue Man
Tyson Wheeler

RI_Bred wrote: 2 months ago I still can't believe people shell our $14 or $15 for a Ganny on a "regular" night...what was that famous PT Barnum line again...?
OMG really? I guess the alumni lounge is really worth the donations. Holy crap that's a joke ahhahahahahahahahah.

I mean I knew $6 for water was obscene when it's $5.50 at Madison Square Garden.

I guess $5 really is "special" - not sure why you'd call attention to the fact that you're ripping people off that badly. You can legit get a 12 pack for less than that.

I don't think the Ryan Center is inept anymore with the replays, the WiFi, the shitty food - I think they intentionally hate all of us.
0 x

Give to Rhody's NIL
LoveThoseRams
Tom Garrick

We wanted a beer night.

We got a beer night.

Mark the calendar, I am in FULL AGREEMENT with Rhody15 on this one.

Remember when we complained that there were no beers in the seat?
WE NOW HAVE BEERS IN THE SEAT.

Remember when we complained that other schools have beer specials?
WE NOW HAVE A BEER SPECIAL

Pul-leeze, lets actually like something that this program does!!
5 x
Rhody15
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Rhody15 »

LoveThoseRams wrote: 2 months ago

We wanted a beer night.

We got a beer night.

I knew you’d eventually come around with some of my takes!
0 x
Go Rhody
Rhodymob05
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhodymob05 »

The marketing department is doing their part to get asses in seats.
1 x
GO RAMS
Rhody Sody
Lamar Odom

Unread post by Rhody Sody »

LoveThoseRams wrote: 2 months ago

We wanted a beer night.

We got a beer night.

I knew you’d eventually come around with some of my takes!
Didn’t we have this discussion a few weeks back….I’m switching to Gansetts for a game
1 x
PeteRI
Sly Williams

Unread post by PeteRI »

[quote=ramster
[/quote]

I can believe they charge $13 for it, I can't believe it sells for that price though. Maybe that's why they're doing the deal, get rid of all of the unsold Narragansett before the expiration
[/quote]

There is no expiration date on Gansett because it's crap as soon as it leaves the brewery.
3 x
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

Rhody15 wrote: 2 months ago I just don’t think getting all up in arms about $5 beers one night is worth it.

Agreed. The advertising sign is one of the coolest Rhody ones in a while actually...to see the Rhody logo and $5 beer special together...not bad*.
*Unless you're talking about the actual beer, because if they gave away the 'gansett for free and kept regular price on the Shaidzon or Whaler's, I'm probably going with the Shaidzon or Whaler's. But that's not the point, go 'gansett, this is definitely a step in the right better drink bargain direction.
1 x
jcru
Sly Williams

Unread post by jcru »

Blue Man wrote: 2 months ago I know this is your schtick - like you just take a point and argue against it because you have nothing better to do, and I appreciate that.
lol, nailed it.

And I think I actually like R15 better than most, but that was right on the money.
1 x
Rhody15
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Rhody15 »

jcru wrote: 2 months ago
Blue Man wrote: 2 months ago I know this is your schtick - like you just take a point and argue against it because you have nothing better to do, and I appreciate that.
lol, nailed it.

And I think I actually like R15 better than most, but that was right on the money.
I just think getting all up in arms over $5 gansetts one game a season isn’t worth the energy.

We ALL know The Ryan Center is WAY behind on most things on game days, but $5 beers is something so small that I just think people should be like “oh cool, cheaper beers, I’ll have a few.”

I personally couldn’t care less what UConn PC Duquesne etc etc do for beers.

If we’re the 1st, 2nd, or last team in the region to have a cheaper beer night, so be it.

I’ll drink to that.
0 x
Go Rhody
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

jcru wrote: 2 months ago
lol, nailed it.

I just think getting all up in arms over $5 gansetts one game a season isn’t worth the energy.

We ALL know The Ryan Center is WAY behind on most things on game days, but $5 beers is something so small that I just think people should be like “oh cool, cheaper beers, I’ll have a few.”

I personally couldn’t care less what UConn PC Duquesne etc etc do for beers.

If we’re the 1st, 2nd, or last team in the region to have a cheaper beer night, so be it.

I’ll drink to that.
...and maybe someday they'll have a reasonable price "special" on a decent-tasting beer...one step closer. Remember, the happy hour came from the 2 for 1...maybe that's an idea for next year's JWU game... 2 for 1 on all beers...
1 x
hrstrat57
Sly Williams

Unread post by hrstrat57 »

Rhody15 wrote: 2 months ago I just think getting all up in arms over $5 gansetts one game a season isn’t worth the energy.
Maybe so….

But it was a fantastic rant

:)
1 x
We're gonna run the picket fence at "em.....now boys don't get caught watchin' the paint dry!