'11 RI F Alex Murphy (Florida Transfer)

Talk about future recruits and scouting efforts in this forum.
Forum rules
If you start a recruit thread and don't set up a profile, make a blank post first so a profile can be added later.

Place whatever you were going to post in the second post.
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

Re: alex murphy

Unread post by TruePoint »

Sly, good stuff. Thanks for sharing. I'm not overly optimistic on Alex coming to Kingston, but it would be awesome if he did and stranger things have happened. (Off topic, I can also second your assertion that the suspended PC freshmen are getting antsy. I have it on pretty good authority that (at least) one of them has one foot out the door and likely won't be in class when they resume next month.)

SG/Billy, I just wasn't sure if Prout played in the RISL or they played a similar schedule to St. Andrew's. When I was in school about a dozen years ago, I don't even know if Prout played sports. If they did, they weren't very good.
0 x
"If you build it, they will come." --Us, circa 2011
Iggy1979
Sly Williams

Unread post by Iggy1979 »

The first two Murphy kids played one year at Prout then went to St. Marks
0 x
"Every season, college basketball has one or two teams that rise from dormancy to relevancy, squads that make long-awaited charges at the NCAA Tournament and become really fun storylines along the way."
Seawrightspostgame
Sly Williams

Unread post by Seawrightspostgame »

I hope he comes here? and he is a savior? whatever we can get.

also the kid that UF is waiting on is speculated to be the most athletic freshman in America.

I hope he doesn't show up and in 15 months we are like "oh he doesn't play very good defense(Gil), and he seems rusty."

The transfers going forward need to be as billed or something close to it. Otherwise I rather have a bunch of Hassan Martins or someone that is 18(4 years of eligibility), looks the part, and can grow.

Hope for the best. Maybe this is our big break to piece together a NCAA tourney team.
0 x
I want to change my name to BlockIslandFerry
Ram Stampede!!!
Jimmy Baron

Unread post by Ram Stampede!!! »

Would he go to Florida after Duke only to face the same senario? The possibility of riding the bench his whole career looming? Would be a huge waste of talent... Come to URI
0 x
Tom98
Tom Garrick

Unread post by Tom98 »

I'm hoping he makes a smart decision and comes home to represent his state
0 x
Matunuck
Lamar Odom

Unread post by Matunuck »

I have no inside info on this one. I am not counting on it, but my gut tells me he will be a Ram!
0 x
RhodyRams12
Jimmy Baron

Unread post by RhodyRams12 »

After reading that tweet it sounds like he's coming URI, why else would rhodybball tweet that out
0 x
Common sense is not common.
rodfromcranston
Frank Keaney

Unread post by rodfromcranston »

Wait! Wait! Wait!
Rhody Hoops is a regular Tweeter, like me.
He's not affiliated with URI .
Let's not jump off the deep end on unsubstantiated information.
0 x
< Arthur is my spirit animal.
Ram Stampede!!!
Jimmy Baron

Hahaha what a fiesta! Got to love the mid season recruiting trail.
0 x
CT Rhody
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by CT Rhody »

The recruiting thread hasn't been this busy since the Terrell sweepstakes were ongoing. Hopefully this one ends differently but I believe in Dan and the staff either way.
0 x
bressler3south
Carlton Owens

Unread post by bressler3south »

Hey, SlyWilliamsCaddy!
Age has nothing to do with any of this, so good for you big man of 25.
So,…
FACT: I loved your diatribe/rant.
FACT: If Murphy said, "Hey, tell them I said so," then just write it.
FACT: My age has nothing to do with knowing more or less than you do.
FACT: I know what WTF means.
FACT: You live in the Digital Age -- Wow. It doesn't make the world any better.
FACT: Not once did I dismiss your information.
FACT: I made an observation about trust.
FACT: Thanks for the personal libel.
FACT: You have no idea who I am, what I do, nor what I've done, so don't make any assumptions, big man.
FACT: Next time you want to make it personal, don't be so shy about it.
P.S. Oh, yeah, Emoticons. They're, well, childish. Sort of direct in their own way. WTF, DB, AW, IDFBI, KMA, A-H, and all that other BS is childish, too, Big Man. Hiding behind acronyms.
Why not just be direct and write: WHAT-THE-FUCK, DOUCHE-BAG, ASS-WIPE, I-DON'T-FUCKIN'-BELIEVE-IT, BULLSHIT, KISS-MY-ASS, and ASSHOLE, etc.,????
Oh, that's right, that's not proper Texty-Texty etiquette.
P.P.S.: NOW TRY THIS, AND IMAGINE A BIG FUCKIN' SMILE.
P.P.P.S. Hey, SlyWilliamsCaddy: Merry Christmas and Happy New Year. Wishing you and your family, especially that 5-year-old niece, good health and happiness.
0 x
Rhodymob05
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhodymob05 »

Ill never understand why anything becomes personal on this board. Lets talk sports boys
0 x
GO RAMS
jcru
Sly Williams

Unread post by jcru »

Caddy, I think I speak for many (clearly not all) here when I say that we appreciate any and all leaked information on this board. If not for leaked info, we wouldn't have much, if any, info.

Often times, info is leaked carefully by posters who have a source or connection to the program or athletic office. However in that case they are often given the information with the condition that it is said or phrased in a particular way, so the message is very structured. I know of this first hand because I once very briefly had access to such a source and when I didn't state the thing the way he wanted me to he went ballistic. I remember one time in particular that I said someone was fired, and he was very upset and said the guy resigned, and I said "what's the difference?" To a lot of people there isn't much difference. But in the world of college athletics, there is an enormous difference. So I got a nice lecture on exactly how they are different. After I apologized of course.

This is just one example of why people can panic when someone goes rouge with their, otherwise, pre canned info.

As far as the relationship with your friend goes, only you know if your relationship will suffer or not by spilling the beans here, so judge accordingly. I think, regardless of how this plays out, I thank you for cheering us up this holiday season.
0 x
15 Year Lurker
Jimmy Baron

Unread post by 15 Year Lurker »

Caddy do we know when he plans to announce this

You know so I can plan my week

Put on the Rhody full court press..playing time playing time playing time and lots of potential bill Reynolds articles!
0 x
brady1
Art Stephenson

Unread post by brady1 »

Full court press for sure. If it's not some sort of recruiting violation it's time for Thor think outside the box. If Ryans in town set up some type of dinner with Ryan, Hurley, Thor , Alex and his dad. Outside the box there Thor.

GO RHODY!
0 x
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by Billyboy78 »

I wonder how much of a difference Bobby Hurley would have made if he were here, with the Duke connection.
0 x
seanmc94
Tom Garrick

Unread post by seanmc94 »

Murphy isn't coming to URI. It's Florida.
0 x
Warning: area protected by guard donkey
CT Rhody
Cuttino Mobley

seanmc94 wrote:Murphy isn't coming to URI. It's Florida.
Do you know this for a fact? Or just being your usual annoying self?
0 x
eli#10
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by eli#10 »

Isn't his brother with the Bulls?
0 x
seanmc94
Tom Garrick

Unread post by seanmc94 »

CT Rhody wrote:
seanmc94 wrote:Murphy isn't coming to URI. It's Florida.
Do you know this for a fact? Or just being your usual annoying self?
Fact? No I haven't talked directly to the kid. I'm hearing it from a few sources.
0 x
Warning: area protected by guard donkey
Ram Stampede!!!
Jimmy Baron

Wonder why he would wait to announce if he has made up his mind. Probably because he hasn't made up his mind. Love the hype though it's good whenever the program is involved with true talent
0 x
rodfromcranston
Frank Keaney

This reminds me when we got involved with Woodson, last spring.
Lots of talk and not much to it.
0 x
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by rambone 78 »

Murphy would be a nice get, especially as a transition to an expected good 2015-16 recruiting class.

Would make us appreciably better short term. Other than Watson, what else do we have on the radar right now?
0 x
Ram Stampede!!!
Jimmy Baron

Maybe it's not meant to be. It would be exciting to have a transfer from Duke and a local kid make the decision to go to Rhody. But the program is on the up swing now and I'm sure Hurley has his eyes on some impact players for the future. I guess it's ok to leave some excitement for the offseason too!
0 x
RF1
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by RF1 »

TruePoint wrote:SG/Billy, I just wasn't sure if Prout played in the RISL or they played a similar schedule to St. Andrew's. When I was in school about a dozen years ago, I don't even know if Prout played sports. If they did, they weren't very good.
Prout is a member of the RIIL and plays hoops in Divsion II-South. The Catholic Prout School only went only went co-ed in 1986 as it was previously all girls.
0 x
Iggy1979
Sly Williams

His mother is heavily hinting around town that its Florida. But she was saying that even before the URI visit. And I'm hearing the family will meet with Cooley. So I take it to mean that it's Florida unless someone can change his mind
0 x
"Every season, college basketball has one or two teams that rise from dormancy to relevancy, squads that make long-awaited charges at the NCAA Tournament and become really fun storylines along the way."
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

Iggy, I tend to trust your sources, so I'm not going to get my hopes up any longer about Murphy.

Time to move on
0 x
SlyWilliamsCaddy
Michael Andersen

Unread post by SlyWilliamsCaddy »

Alright I don't have time right now to get out the proper response necessary. Just as big of a pats fan as a rhody fan so a true response will have to wait til after 4 but I will say this idk where Rhodyhoops or whatever that twitter handle was is getting his info from but alex is in Chicago with erik so unless hes decided to declare hes going pro and signs with there d league squad no formal decision has been made.

like I said earlier, he'd prefer to go to florida; but if it doesn't fit the bill there, ie playing time. then hes gonna end up at rhody. i'll continue to try and pry info as best I can and trust me all info that I receive is info that alex is willingly putting out there to his friends so no worries about source tampering or whatever you want to call it.

Again its all about whether he wants to ride the pine at florida in the hopes of playing 25 mpg as a senior (which isn't guaranteed). he knows that. these situations are always fluid and constantly developing; theres articles coming out of florida saying that erik is trying to guide him to UF so alex being in Chicago right now prob doesn't bode well for us. but then again who knows maybe erik is a realist and has heard from billy d (who the family trusts immensely) that the minutes wont be guaranteed there. Alex was told repeatedly by the duke staff that he would have the opportunity to compete for mins and it was all just blatant lies. its always nice to know that if you have some injuries that theres a capable 6'9 guy on the end of ur bench and now that alex has been thru it once I think he will be able to read thru the bs. so like I said, hope and pray that billy d is honest with him and not a swindler. (then again ive never trusted any of them pc guys hahaha). with the lineup UF has going forward, including the Mcdonalds AA they signed 2 days ago whos practicing with the team, its gonna be tough sledding there for him.

Alex will make his decision very shortly, he wants to get on campus and get back in the groove of practicing and bonding with the team. I cant put a date on it but I would assume we know before xmas. as soon as I hear anything, it will be becuz alex wants us to know. that's all its ever been. and I will hopefully be the first on here to break some great holiday news. again ill keep trying. anyways go pats ill update later.

Bressler- Its all in jest bud, happy holidays to you and yours and just know that were all in this together; just a bunch of uri nutjobs trying to get our team back to the glory days.
0 x
Iggy1979
Sly Williams

The only thing I'm hearing differently is that Billy D us very interested and told Alex he'd be used just like his brother was.
0 x
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by Billyboy78 »

The Murphys are also very close with the Barons. That can't help. I'm sure Billy B. has put in his two cents to Alex.
0 x
ramfan85
Carlton Owens

Unread post by ramfan85 »

Murphy to Canisius?
0 x
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

Not in a million years.
0 x
Rhodymob05
Tyson Wheeler

id say Florida, just being realistic
0 x
GO RAMS
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

If Billy D is promising Alex minutes, then he's going to Florida. Simple.
0 x
Ram Stampede!!!
Jimmy Baron

If Rhody lands him, good deal. If Rhody doesn't...that's ok there will be others. I agree with Rod, about how we should focus on the players that are here.
0 x
EasyEdBrown
Jimmy Baron

Unread post by EasyEdBrown »

Rhodymob05 wrote:Ill never understand why anything becomes personal on this board. Lets talk sports boys
Shut up jerk.

/sickburn
0 x
"it makes me smile knowing the A10 is doomed" --Brutus
Ramulous
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Ramulous »

I cannot imagine Papa Murphy will allow one of his sons to attend measly programs like URI or pc.....
0 x
F*ck Alacki, DarthFriar, DirtyBeanFriar94, xCoachK, Boxworth, Friar Faithful, bicycleicycle, Matt_Keough, Patrick Norton, the Rosato brothers, and especially Benjamin Lord !
theblueram
Frank Keaney

Unread post by theblueram »

Ramulous wrote:I cannot imagine Papa Murphy will allow one of his sons to attend measly programs like URI or pc.....
Maybe Lamar spoke with papa murphy. Lamar has a pretty good NBA career going for himself. Your not going to the NBA,NFL or MLB because of the school you went to. It's on your talent. And if you don't get the opportunity to show it in college, no one will notice.
I can't get overly excited since I really haven't seen him play. Granted he was highly ranked out of high school but what does that tell us 2 years after? He really hasn't played college ball yet.
0 x
Seawrightspostgame
Sly Williams

Re: Alex Murphy - Where will he transfer?

Unread post by Seawrightspostgame »

Yea, im put off by the reputation that the Murphys are above URI. I don't like that.

Hope this gets resolved soon so we can go forward and hope he is real good or wish him the best at UF. I hate UF btw.
0 x
I want to change my name to BlockIslandFerry
rhodylaw
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by rhodylaw »

I am not put off by that reputation - remember when it was earned. As big of a rhody fan as I am I would not have sent my son who could play at Florida or Duke to rhody to play on JB's teams. Also the facilities and other things that make a program, other than the Ryan kind of sucked until recently. DH has raised the bar for rhody so much in a short time that our school now has what the better teams in the A10 now have had for the last 5 or 10 years. Now we have to prove it on the court.
0 x
CT Rhody
Cuttino Mobley

If ego or reputation is at all a factor within this decision and not what's best for Alex then Florida will all but be signed sealed and delivered. Just how it goes.
0 x
ATPTourFan
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ATPTourFan »

We should offer to change the court logo to "Alex Murphy & Ani".
0 x
Support Coach Miller & Rhody Basketball! Give to the Athletic Director's Fund
Iggy1979
Sly Williams

rambone 78 wrote:If Billy D is promising Alex minutes, then he's going to Florida. Simple.
I'd put URI's chances at 10-20 percent, which is a long shot but better than 0. Three of the four finalists were local so there seems to be something with the he wants to play closer to home theory. But it will be hard to overcome the family's trust and familiarity with Donovan.
This is one of the first times where Hurley could really sell the school's facilities and make a pitch to Murphy that in his year off URI will transform him physically. And Hurley didn't have to stretch the truth in telling him he would play a lot of minutes.
0 x
Rhodymob05
Tyson Wheeler

Dreaming for a minute. Hare Murphy Gil and big o would be a prominent front court with skill height athetism and muscle
0 x
GO RAMS
CT Rhody
Cuttino Mobley

Seriously the guys can have his own court! Top that Florida! Ha
0 x
Iggy1979
Sly Williams

Hare is not coming back.
0 x
Iggy1979
Sly Williams

A team not only needs an available scholarship for next year but for next month. URI has one. Does Florida? I see 15 players on their roster, so I'm assuming 13 of them are on scholarship.
If Florida doesn't have one for next semester would Murphy pay his own way?
To answer my own question: looks like Florida has 12 scholarship players and three walk-ons, so they would have a scholarship next semester for Murphy.
0 x
rodfromcranston
Frank Keaney

"Dreaming for a minute. Hare Murphy Gil and big o would be a prominent front court with skill height athetism and muscle"

Hellllooooooooo!!! Hassan Martin will be better than any of that list, when it's all said and done.
0 x
ATPTourFan
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ATPTourFan »

Yeah, Alex would enjoy playing with someone like Hassy.
0 x
Support Coach Miller & Rhody Basketball! Give to the Athletic Director's Fund
rodfromcranston
Frank Keaney

This kid just got accepted and is already practicing! This kid is a beast.
Are the Murphys paying attention? Makes you wonder.
Also, not a single post about Murphy on the Florida Rivals board.
No matter what Billy D does, it's still a football school.

Christmas came early for Billy Donovan and his basketball team Saturday. Five-star freshman Chris Walker was admitted to Florida Saturday and began practicing with the No. 19 Gators.

Adam Silverstein of OnlyGators.com and Inside the Gators first reported the news Dec. 4 after months of questions surrounding Walker and his eligibility. Walker, the No. 1 forward and No. 6 overall prospect in the country, committed to Florida on July 22, 2012, but has since dealt with academic and admission concerns in relation to eventually playing for the Gators.

Chris Walker was one-half of Florida's dual five-star recruiting class in 2013.
"Chris Walker has been admitted to UF and is eligible to practice, but is not yet eligible to compete," Florida announced in a statement this morning. "He will begin practicing with our team today."

Donovan has previously said there is no chance of Walker playing in Tuesday's game against No. 16 Memphis is New York City and that continues to be the case. Walker still must be cleared by the NCAA Clearinghouse before he can play and his in-game debut could also be delayed by another factor.

According to Silverstein, Walker was part of an NCAA investigation that discovered a violation on the part of the director of Walker's AAU team. The director reportedly paid for an unofficial visit to Kansas for Walker. The NCAA may choose to force Walker to sit a few games because of the incident.

Silverstein also reported Walker has been told to not expect to see game action until the new year, though playing time could come sooner based on his performance in practice and the NCAA. Florida has three games remaining in 2013 against Memphis, Fresno State and Savannah State.

Richmond comes to Gainesville on Jan. 4 as the final game before Southeastern Conference play begins.

At 6-foot-10 and 220 pounds, Walker becomes the fourth McDonald's All-American on the Gators' current roster alongside Dorian Finney-Smith, Kasey Hill and Patric Young. He averaged 32 points, 15 rebounds and six blocks per game as a senior at Bonifay (Fla.) Holmes County High School.

Walker is now one of four players 6-foot-8 or taller on Florida's active roster.
0 x