Random NIL thoughts

Talk about the men's team, upcoming opponents and news from around college hoop.
Jdrums#3
Sly Williams

Re: Random NIL thoughts

Unread post by Jdrums#3 »

Just an overall observation that I may take some heat for but, so be it.

I think the mission of college sports within many large to midsized higher learning institutions has been perverted for decades and this is what it has come to.

Many of these higher ed institutions have lost their way for multiple reasons - and even me as a fan who has enjoyed the ride - is a party to the perversion. It isn’t just the schools that are to blame - there are multiple parties to blame and we are all smart enough to recognize them.

The perversion has gone on for so long that it will continue for now but I think some higher ed institutions will recalibrate their priorities and try to return to their original mission over time. The perversion has gone on for so many decades and slowly has gotten worse for so long that some of the frogs (schools) in the pot are realizing the boiling water is getting unbearable.

This isn’t meant to be a fatalistic post because I am confident this will all get sorted out eventually through a big fix or, a refiguring of divisions or, the power 2 breaking off or, schools leaving the big athletics system or, something else I can’t think of now. The stakes are still too high for many for it not to get all sorted out.

Adapt and overcome. Go Rhody! For as long as we can.
Last edited by Jdrums#3 1 week ago, edited 1 time in total.
hrstrat57
Sly Williams

Unread post by hrstrat57 »

Jdrums#3 wrote: 1 week ago Just an overall observation that I may take some heat for but, so be it.

I think the mission of college sports within many large to midsized higher learning institutions has been perverted for decades and this is what it has come to.

Many of these higher ed institutions have lost their way for multiple reasons - and even me as a fan who has enjoyed the ride - is a party to the perversion. It isn’t just the schools that are to blame - there are multiple parties to blame and we are all smart enough to recognize them.

The perversion has gone on for so long that it will continue for now but I think some higher ed institutions will recalibrate their priorities and try to return to their original mission over time. The perversion has gone on for so many decades and slowly has gotten worse for so long that some of the frogs (schools) in the pot are realizing the boiling water is getting unbearable.

This isn’t meant to be a fatalistic post because I am confident this will all get sorted out eventually through a big fix or, a refiguring of divisions or, the power 2 breaking off or, schools leaving the big athletics system or, something else I can’t think of now. The stakes are still too high for many for it not it to not get all sorted out.

Adapt and overcome. Go Rhody! For as long as we can.
Good post. Deep thoughts. Nicely argued.
We're gonna run the picket fence at "em.....now boys don't get caught watchin' the paint dry!
Ramulous
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Ramulous »

I believe most coaches are better at roster construction with a $4M NIL budget than a with a $400K budget.

Hard to assess coaches who were previously successful in light of this paradigm shift if they can’t be competitive financially
F*ck Alacki, DarthFriar, DirtyBeanFriar94, xCoachK, Boxworth, Friar Faithful, bicycleicycle, Matt_Keough, Patrick Norton, the Rosato brothers, and especially Benjamin Lord !
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by rambone 78 »

I think our NIL budget has grown beyond 400k, but whatever it is, it looks like it's not enough.

Imo a million might not be enough from what I'm seeing out there.

The scary thing is it's only going to go up, unless some kind of common sense solution is found that also wont be subject to litigation.

We still dont know whether the failure to acquire more talent as of yet, is attributable to the staff or a money issue or a combination of both.
KeaneyBluBallz
Art Stephenson

Unread post by KeaneyBluBallz »

rambone 78 wrote: 1 week ago I think our NIL budget has grown beyond 400k, but whatever it is, it looks like it's not enough.

The scary thing is it's only going to go up, unless some kind of common sense solution is found that also wont be subject to litigation.

We still dont know whether the failure to acquire more talent as of yet, is attributable to the staff or a money issue or a combination of both.
can't put the toothpaste back in the tube.
:lol:
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

Unread post by NYGFan_Section208 »

KeaneyBluBallz wrote: 1 week ago
rambone 78 wrote: 1 week ago I think our NIL budget has grown beyond 400k, but whatever it is, it looks like it's not enough.

Can't raise a million dollars with a fan-based go fund me either ...
RhodyKyle
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by RhodyKyle »

NYGFan_Section208 wrote: 1 week ago

Arkansas just did with a single fan.
ElmCityRhody
Sly Williams

Unread post by ElmCityRhody »

i hope any donation isn't wasted..

can we have another RHODE TO EXCELLENCE challenge to help us out ?
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

RhodyKyle wrote: 1 week ago

Yeah, I guess that's the same :roll:
RhodyKyle
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by RhodyKyle »

You said that substantial money can't be raised by fan-based collectives. You were wrong as these other schools have shown.

Are you saying that your comment was URI-specific? That wasn't clear to me.
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

You said that substantial money can't be raised by fan-based collectives. You were wrong as these other schools have shown.

I'm saying that maybe there's a difference between "booster/big donor" and "average fan going through Shakedown Street on his way to deciding if he wants to head to the season ticket office."

But, please contribute (bigly) to the collective so Rhody can get players by season tix Decision Day.
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by Billyboy78 »

I'm saying that maybe there's a difference between "booster/big donor" and "average fan going through Shakedown Street on his way to deciding if he wants to head to the season ticket office."

But, please contribute (bigly) to the collective so Rhody can get players by season tix Decision Day.
Which is next week, I believe.
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

Billyboy78 wrote: 1 week ago

Which is next week, I believe.
The email I got says SATURDAY, MAY 15th...but the 15th is Wednesday and Saturday is the 18th...
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

College Basketball Players Union, here we come! (At least then I think there will be clarity and transparency)
ElmCityRhody
Sly Williams

me.. give money ?

"N"ot
"I"n my
"L"ifetime

can i saw that to myself with out offending the ones who gave to "excellence" ?

KeaneyBluBallz
Art Stephenson

what a world.

the common peasant paying 'student athlete' salaries and then having to pay again to actually watch them temporarily play for your school.
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

KeaneyBluBallz wrote: 1 week ago what a world.

the common peasant paying 'student athlete' salaries and then having to pay again to actually watch them temporarily play for your school.
And in almost every case, much more temporarily than players before them.
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

Calipari talking about having only 8 or 9 players on Scholarship / NIL at Arkansas this upcoming season

Saves NIL Money, saves time developing players who are likely to transfer out anyway after 1 season, helps with morale with fewer players to complain about not getting any playing time.

Someone recently on KB suggested reducing the roster from 13 to 11 scholarships. Don't recall who or in who read but I tried to find it too avail, but seems reasonable. Calipari talking about even less than 11.

Though collegiate teams have 13 scholarships available, Calipari suggested not using all of them. He would instead fill out the roster with walk-ons and graduate assistants who can help prepare the team for opponents rather than having more competion for playing time.

"I want those [graduate assistants] to have played in Europe or just got done playing and can still play," he said. "We can use them in practice. The women's programs have five guys that they call 'managers,' but that's who they scrimmage against. Maybe I do it that way. We have some walk-ons, we have some [graduate assistants], we have eight or nine guys and that's it. And if there is a 10th guy, he knows he's the 10th guy."

https://www.sportingnews.com/us/ncaa-ba ... 20Robinson.

Last edited by ramster 1 week ago, edited 2 times in total.
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

Don't worry....when the pot of gold cracks open and the players unionize, the idea of fans contributing to their salaries will seem quaint...and laughable...
ElmCityRhody
Sly Williams

RIFan
Carlton Owens

Unread post by RIFan »

If I wanted or could pay basketball players salaries I would buy a team. This arms race will not be won by hundreds of average Joe’s and Jane’s paying $10/mo. It’s on the big boosters and local corporations backs and if they want us to succeed. That is until the piggy bank beaks opens and the actual industry that has been making money off these kids has to share it.
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

RIFan wrote: 1 week ago If I wanted or could pay basketball players salaries I would buy a team. This arms race will not be won by hundreds of average Joe’s and Jane’s paying $10/mo. It’s on the big boosters and local corporations backs and if they want us to succeed. That is until the piggy bank beaks opens and the actual industry that has been making money off these kids has to share it.
💯
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

No limits

Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

I don't know if anybody listened to Tammi's show last night, but she's been asked why she didn't try to get Hailey Van Lith, who recently transferred from LSU to TCU. Tammi said it was because she didn't have 500,000 dollars to give her. Tammi said that's the going rate for very good players, and that's for the women.
Rhody15
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Rhody15 »

ramster wrote: 1 week ago No limits

This is the least crazy thing in college sports at the moment.

Who cares if kids can officially visit more than 5 schools?
Go Rhody
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

Rhody15 wrote: 1 week ago

Not me
Visit all of them, why not? Visit the same school multiple times if you like to make sure you like it
No limits on visits, no limits on transferring, no limits on visits, no limits on amount of NIL money a player can get paid, no Letters of Intent for High School or Prep players
Rhody15
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Rhody15 »

ramster wrote: 1 week ago

Not me
Visit all of them, why not? Visit the same school multiple times if you like to make sure you like it
No limits on visits, no limits on transferring, no limits on visits, no limits on amount of NIL money a player can get paid, no Letters of Intent for High School or Prep players
Yup, weird tweet from Weiss.

That isn't crazy in the least bit.
Go Rhody
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

Not me
Yup, weird tweet from Weiss.

That isn't crazy in the least bit.
I did not post it to be the crazy part of Weiss' comment, but more to just show informationally that the visit quantity has changed to unlimited.

Putting or keeping limits on anything just opens up to possibility fo more lawsuits for the NCAA which has been inundated in recent years

I'd be shocked if there is ever any kind of salary cap (NIL Cap). Lawyers would have a field day with anything that tries to limit earnings potential for players or coaches
RIFan
Carlton Owens

Unread post by RIFan »

Who limits athletes to 4 years of eligibility? How can they do that? Will that go too and then this really does become the G league.
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

RIFan wrote: 1 week ago Who limits athletes to 4 years of eligibility? How can they do that? Will that go too and then this really does become the G league.
Actually been 5 years Eligibility since the Covid Bonus Year but why not? Used to be Freshmen could not play, they had Freshmen teams only.
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

RIFan wrote: 1 week ago Who limits athletes to 4 years of eligibility? How can they do that? Will that go too and then this really does become the G league.
Or ... Drives the G league out of business?
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Actually been 5 years Eligibility since the Covid Bonus Year but why not? Used to be Freshmen could not play, they had Freshmen teams only.
And that's why Silk Owens is the all-time leading scorer at URI and not Steve Chubin or Ernie Calverly or Stan Stutz. If freshmen were allowed to play, those three would be 1,2,3. I believe if you count points from the freshman team, Chubin is the all-time leading scorer.
ElmCityRhody
Sly Williams

ElmCityRhody
Sly Williams

PONZI cheaters !
Jdrums#3
Sly Williams

Unread post by Jdrums#3 »

Good read. Thanks for posting it, ECR.
rhodyrudder
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by rhodyrudder »

They’re not gonna need scholarships since they will each be making $5M per year
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

Jdrums#3 wrote: 1 week ago
Good read. Thanks for posting it, ECR.
"There's these things called collectives where they go out and get money from donors and get this big, giant mass of money and they pay players," he said. "That's not what the intent is."

Players make out with this collective donor money, players make out by still being able to do their own NIL on the side and schools/NCAA makes out by having no revenue sharing agreement in place and not much incentive to try to get one or accelerate one into being.

Agree with Jdrums, good find ECR
hrstrat57
Sly Williams

Billyboy78 wrote: 1 week ago

And that's why Silk Owens is the all-time leading scorer at URI and not Steve Chubin or Ernie Calverly or Stan Stutz. If freshmen were allowed to play, those three would be 1,2,3. I believe if you count points from the freshman team, Chubin is the all-time leading scorer.
Pistol Pete 44 ppg, 3 years no 3 point line.

Most “records” in CBB are fake news…
We're gonna run the picket fence at "em.....now boys don't get caught watchin' the paint dry!
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Jersey77 »

ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

Jersey77 wrote: 6 days ago

And the big money is still to come from revenue sharing once approved. Big money from the media agreements with P5 Conferences whose teams all have Football.

$2 million for just 1 year

Big $$$ now Keeping players in College parlayed with the Covid Bonus year

Players who would in that past have gone overseas or the the NBA or to the NBA G-League are reaping the College money now

Not so good for some 2-star, 3-star or even some 4-star HS Prep players getting crowded out of playing time.
RI_Bred
Carlton Owens

Unread post by RI_Bred »

I find it hard to believe that any one player is worth that kind of money in men's college hoops. That's absolutely nuts.
Mobley was fouled.
Blue Man
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Blue Man »

I’m very curious to understand how accurate that number is.

Don't believe everything you read on the internet.
If you say you’re a Rhody fan, I know you are my brother. For you have suffered as I have suffered.

Give to the Athletic Director's Fund

Give to Rhody's NIL
Rhody15
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Rhody15 »

RI_Bred wrote: 6 days ago I find it hard to believe that any one player is worth that kind of money in men's college hoops. That's absolutely nuts.
Especially him.
Go Rhody
ElmCityRhody
Sly Williams

RI_Bred wrote: 6 days ago I find it hard to believe that any one player is worth that kind of money in men's college hoops. That's absolutely nuts.

yes and i had the foresight to not be part of this sham

i'll give my money to more worthy causes...

but thanks anyways :)

HARD PASS
hrstrat57
Sly Williams

ECR:

You need to load a hate the current state of affairs type caption to your profile.

You’re stressing yourself out with all these posts.

(Don’t disagree with your posts btw)
ElmCityRhody
Sly Williams

not really stressing myself out..
it is sad really because i see myself drifting away from the pride i have in rhody hoops and following
now i hope that doesnt happen..
but the way this is trending is nauseating..
the thing i hate more than the idea of donating money..
is that the player walks away in a year.. and no loyalty

to those who say it always has been about money..
well yes, but not to this extent...
this is making it more of a divide between the haves and have nots..

i hardly missed a game while in college..
tried out for rhody mascot..
follow the team and posted since projo days..
yet somehow am at ease if i need to walk away from this pure bullshit setup...

so, no ..i am not stressed out..
i live in the most beautiful city i've ever seen..
yesterday walking around Charleston and going to great restaurants..
spending my money on my family.. and not on players i could care less about

sorry.. its true - and i am not ashamed to admit it...

we can't compete under this setup
KeaneyBluBallz
Art Stephenson

ElmCityRhody wrote: 6 days ago not really stressing myself out..
it is sad really because i see myself drifting away from the pride i have in rhody hoops and following

standing O
hrstrat57
Sly Williams

ElmCityRhody wrote: 6 days ago not really stressing myself out..

Well at least I triggered a really good post!

(Still think you need a good caption)

What’s going on now in college athletics really has absolutely zero to do with college. Except maybe for the spirit squad?

“Well Suzyn, in life all good things come to an end”
Ramulous
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Ramulous »

I can envision a day when I no longer follow men’s college basketball. Then later on not following women’s college basketball. Then finally FCS football. No more season tickets. No more single game tickets. No donations to Rhody athletics. No contributions to $NIL. No reading Keaney Blue.
F*ck Alacki, DarthFriar, DirtyBeanFriar94, xCoachK, Boxworth, Friar Faithful, bicycleicycle, Matt_Keough, Patrick Norton, the Rosato brothers, and especially Benjamin Lord !