Any spring practice updates?

All things Rhody Rams football.
Farrell_Fan
Frenchy Tomlin

Any spring practice updates?

Unread post by Farrell_Fan »

Can't find any info. Is it normally this quiet? This is my first season as a fan lol
0 x
Bos8
Tom Garrick

Re: Any spring practice updates?

Unread post by Bos8 »

https://x.com/newftbj

New England Football Journal was at the practice this past weekend. Although the weather wasn't the best, they had a few clips along with interviews with a few guys like AJ Pena, Buchanan etc. They also had an interview with Coach Fleming.
1 x
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

Unread post by RhowdyRam02 »

Farrell_Fan wrote: 3 weeks ago Can't find any info. Is it normally this quiet? This is my first season as a fan lol
Unfortunately yes, this is pretty standard. Maybe we'll get something from the Providence Journal around the Blue and White scrimmage that will highlight camp developments
0 x
Take down the Robert Carothers banner and fix the concession stand lines
Farrell_Fan
Frenchy Tomlin

3 x
section(105)
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by section(105) »

Going to B&W today. Going to check out season ticket seats. First timers. Why? For me another way cheering for the laundry, football style. And of course being on campus in the Springtime, and looking forward to fall on campus. And I like the throwing the ball around the lot. Go Rhody
1 x
Ram logo via Grist 1938
Farrell_Fan
Frenchy Tomlin

showtime
0 x
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by Billyboy78 »

Offense didn't look great. Defense outplayed them. I wish I could give some names on defense that shined but I was focused mostly on watching the skill players on offense. I do remember a big hit by the Mankins kid on Deon Silas. And Pena looks like a beast. The defense/ST also blocked a FG and ran it back for a TD. And I think it was Mallay that made some nice plays. The QBs and WRs didn't look like they were on the same page for most of the scrimmage. Farrell did have a nice TD pass to Buchanan right at the end, and Helms had a few nice throws. But both were off on a lot of their throws. Helms also had 2 interceptions and Farrell fumbled in the end zone for a defensive TD. One player who did look good was Jaden Griffin with a long TD run and another long run before he was pushed out inside the 10. He looked like the best offensive player. Buchanan did have that TD, but also had a couple of drops. Chris Harris probably had the best day for the WR group with a few catches and getting open. I was expecting Gaines to stand out because of the hype. He does have nice size and had a couple of catches, but nothing spectacular. As of now, I have no idea who will start at QB. Certainly neither separated from the other today. Still plenty of time to improve before Aug. 31st. We'll see.
2 x
damram
Kenny Green

Unread post by damram »

I thought the kid from Southern Connecticut threw some nice balls. The ball jumped out of his hand. He looks more like a fullback than quarterback. I would have liked to see someone tackle him.
0 x
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by Billyboy78 »

1 x
Iggy1979
Sly Williams

Unread post by Iggy1979 »

It's got to be Farrell
1 x
"Every season, college basketball has one or two teams that rise from dormancy to relevancy, squads that make long-awaited charges at the NCAA Tournament and become really fun storylines along the way."
Rhody15
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Rhody15 »

Iggy1979 wrote: 1 week ago It's got to be Farrell
Imagine Helms goes from backup QB at Clemson to backup QB at URI.
0 x
Go Rhody
Bos8
Tom Garrick

Unread post by Bos8 »

That would be tough... but he didn't come to URI to be a back up. He came to URI to compete for the opportunity to get on the field. At Clemson he didn't have that opportunity.

So if it is Farrell, Helms, Kenyon, or the SCSU kid (can't think of his name off the top of my head)... they all had a chance to compete. And each may still have the opportunity to get in and prove they can play. (Think of Jajuan Lawson getting beat out Tyler Harris in his first year out of camp, only to go on to have a great career)
0 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

1 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

Bos8 wrote: 1 week ago That would be tough... but he didn't come to URI to be a back up. He came to URI to compete for the opportunity to get on the field. At Clemson he didn't have that opportunity.

So if it is Farrell, Helms, Kenyon, or the SCSU kid (can't think of his name off the top of my head)... they all had a chance to compete. And each may still have the opportunity to get in and prove they can play. (Think of Jajuan Lawson getting beat out Tyler Harris in his first year out of camp, only to go on to have a great career)
From watching the spring practice game I thought the 2 QB’s who stood out to me were Farrell and Helms. Seemed like a big gap between those to and the others.

I liked Farrell last season and thought he should have gotten more playing time but that’s up to Fleming who I have a lot of faith in. I would have been fine with Farrell the AB last season.

Helms looked solid to me in the Blue-White spring game. Quick on his feet while in the pocket and able to avoid/dodge defensive attackers with his experience and foot quickness.
Helms threw accurate, catchable balls. He throws a nice spiral and does not throw the ball too hard - has a nice tough.

I’d be comfortable with either Farrell or Helms at starting QB. Kudos to Fleming and the Coaching staff for recruiting 2 quality QBs to compete for the starting slot.
1 x