Stock Market tips

Off-Topic News, Music, TV, Movies, Tech, etc.
theblueram
Frank Keaney

Stock Market tips

Unread post by theblueram »

Just wanted to post this so we can discuss stock market tips. My retirement savings are invested in VIIIX, VEMPX and FCNTX.VIIIX has a 5 year return of 15.16%, VEMPX has a 5 year return of 10.22% and FCNTX has a 5 year return of 17.25%. They have been pretty solid for me over the years. Figure, there are a lot of people smarter than me with more in the know so let's discuss. I have a small stake in DOGE as well. Lost my shirt in VGF, but that was offset by my gains in GTBIF.
0 x
Maine66
Abdul Fox

Re: Stock Market tips

Unread post by Maine66 »

After we got the kids educated both my wife and I maxed our IRA contributions every year until we retired. They were invested in a mixed stock portfolio that probably returned a solid 8% per year. Also we didn"t retire until our 70's allowing us to make contributions up to 70 1/2 years old. By not taking social security till 70 1/2 we picked up an additional 8% per year in benefits till 70 1/2. Obviously we took a gamble along the way. We also accumulated some personal real estate along the way. It also helped that the wife was a CPA and had the tax angle down. I was also fortunate to get a solid business education at Rhody that got me into the Wharton school for my MBA. Our big takeaway, treat investing and saving as a marathon and not a sprint.
2 x
steviep123
Sly Williams

Unread post by steviep123 »

Love this. We do have a financial advisor we really like and has done well for us, but not quite as well as the numbers theblueram is saying. Might be worth looking into. Thanks for posting.
0 x
Bleed Keaney Blue!

”I'm not coming there to be in the top 3 of the Atlantic 10. I'm coming to win the damn thing!”
theblueram
Frank Keaney

Maine66 wrote: 4 weeks ago After we got the kids educated both my wife and I maxed our IRA contributions every year until we retired. They were invested in a mixed stock portfolio that probably returned a solid 8% per year. Also we didn"t retire until our 70's allowing us to make contributions up to 70 1/2 years old. By not taking social security till 70 1/2 we picked up an additional 8% per year in benefits till 70 1/2. Obviously we took a gamble along the way. We also accumulated some personal real estate along the way. It also helped that the wife was a CPA and had the tax angle down. I was also fortunate to get a solid business education at Rhody that got me into the Wharton school for my MBA. Our big takeaway, treat investing and saving as a marathon and not a sprint.
Totally agree it's a marathon. When you are young, it looks like you are making nothing, but after 20 or 30 years of constant investing 10% in a year is significant. Good on you for getting into Wharton. I had a really good GMAT score and graduated URI with honors in Accounting. But man, I could not fathom even back then taking out the loans for a top B school. Ended up getting my MBA at good old URI. (Truth is, I couldn't even afford the application fees for Harvard or Penn back then :lol: )
1 x
theblueram
Frank Keaney

steviep123 wrote: 4 weeks ago Love this. We do have a financial advisor we really like and has done well for us, but not quite as well as the numbers theblueram is saying. Might be worth looking into. Thanks for posting.
Take a look Stevie for sure. It's not like I'm pushing stock, these are just mutual funds. The 10 year numbers are pretty good as well. VIIIX is at 13.03%, VEMPX is at 9.17% and FCNTX is at 14.72%.
1 x
Maine66
Abdul Fox

Unread post by Maine66 »

Blue:

You couldn't have found my GMAT scores with an electron microscope! However, I finished no. 1 in the business school and was in athletics, campus activities and honor societies so that helped to offset the crappy board scores. I applied to Wharton, Columbia, Chicago and Harvard. Dr. Rayack was a Chicago grad and gave me a good recommendation. The dean of students and my Wharton Grad economics professor gave me the Wharton recommendation. My high school football coach was an All American at Columbia and wrote them. I had zero opportunities for Harvard. At the end of the day I got accepted to all but Harvard where I was on the waiting list. Really wanted Wharton at that point. Got a two year deferment from my ROTC obligation and did my active duty afterwards. My folks were public employees but gave up a lot to give my brother and I a good education. I did help with scholarships, summer jobs and ROTC pay. I did get a head start on buying a house as we used the money I saved in my year in Vietnam. I owe a lot to URI.
0 x
theblueram
Frank Keaney

Maine66 wrote: 4 weeks ago Blue:

You couldn't have found my GMAT scores with an electron microscope! However, I finished no. 1 in the business school and was in athletics, campus activities and honor societies so that helped to offset the crappy board scores. I applied to Wharton, Columbia, Chicago and Harvard. Dr. Rayack was a Chicago grad and gave me a good recommendation. The dean of students and my Wharton Grad economics professor gave me the Wharton recommendation. My high school football coach was an All American at Columbia and wrote them. I had zero opportunities for Harvard. At the end of the day I got accepted to all but Harvard where I was on the waiting list. Really wanted Wharton at that point. Got a two year deferment from my ROTC obligation and did my active duty afterwards. My folks were public employees but gave up a lot to give my brother and I a good education. I did help with scholarships, summer jobs and ROTC pay. I did get a head start on buying a house as we used the money I saved in my year in Vietnam. I owe a lot to URI.
I'm quite a bit younger than you, but every NCO when I got to Germany in 85 was a Vietnam Vet. I joined for the GI Bill. It paid for undergrad(what I had left) and my MBA. I really, really wanted to go to Harvard. But I was on my own and the $150 app fee, I just couldn't do it. I couldn't afford it. Crazy. I always wonder if I would have been accepted. Doesn't matter now. Life is good!!!
0 x