A10 Outlook for 2024-25

Talk about the men's team, upcoming opponents and news from around college hoop.
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

A10 Outlook for 2024-25

Unread post by Jersey77 »

I guess we can start this thread now since the season is over for all the A10 teams.

Rhody may very well be the only team in the conference returning their top 6 scorers (currently) from last season.
Almost all the other A10 team are losing core players because of eligibility or the portal.
Holmes was CO-A10 POY and is expected to enter the NBA draft.

There should be no excuses in year 3 of Archie for us to make dramatic improvement next season.
Again, not saying we will necessarily contend, even though not ruling that out, but we should finish in the top half.

Both Loyola and Richmond will have work to do in trying to replace many of their core players.
I don't expect them to repeat as regular season conference champs.
Duquesne loses both Grant and Clark, they aren't going to win the A10T in 24-25.

Expecting a big drop-off with UMass and the Bonnies, with all their roster losses.
La Salle should continue to suck.

SLU will probably struggle again even with expected new coach Shertz (Indiana State).
Same with GW losing both Bishop and Edwards (portal).
Davidson is losing a lot, not expecting them to do much.
George Mason has work to do losing both Hall and Kelly, but I feel Skinn is doing a good job there.
Depending on who returns to Fordham, they could be middle of the pack.

If Reynolds sticks around for the Joe's, they could be decent again.

As usual, still expecting Dayton and VCU to have a good season.
Last edited by Jersey77 4 weeks ago, edited 1 time in total.
1 x
section(105)
Ernie Calverley

Re: A10 Outlook for 24-25

Unread post by section(105) »

I have zero expectations for next season, not for top, middle or bottom of conference. My trips in and out of Rhody Rehab has made me realize that I will continue to support Rhody hoops, via season tickets, following the revolving door of players, and make some small payment to the Collective. Take the season as it comes and evolves in the A-10. Enjoy it for what it is in the RC.
Rooting for the laundry, Go Rhody.
2 x
Ram logo via Grist 1938
Rhody15
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Rhody15 »

And right on cue, we won’t be returning our Top 6 scorers lol Zek is leaving.
0 x
Go Rhody
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

Rhody15 wrote: 4 weeks ago And right on cue, we won’t be returning our Top 6 scorers lol Zek is leaving.
Yep the "kiss of death".

Well, we lost both wings Zek and Weston.
0 x
Jdrums#3
Sly Williams

Re: A10 Outlook for 2024-25

Unread post by Jdrums#3 »

Jersey77 wrote: 4 weeks ago I guess we can start this thread now since the season is over for all the A10 teams.

Rhody may very well be the only team in the conference returning their top 6 scorers (currently) from last season.
Almost all the other A10 team are losing core players because of eligibility or the portal.

There should be no excuses in year 3 of Archie for us to make dramatic improvement next season.
Again, not saying we will necessarily contend, even though not ruling that out, but we should finish in the top half.

Both Loyola and Richmond will have work to do in trying to replace many of their core players.
Duquesne loses both Grant and Clark, they aren't going to win the A10T in 24-25.

Expecting a big drop-off with UMass and the Bonnies, with all their roster losses.

SLU will probably struggle again even with expected new coach Shertz (Indiana State).
George Mason has work to do losing both Hall and Kelly, but I feel Skinn is doing a good job there.

Good stuff, Jersey, and I appreciate your perspective.

I am not sure what to think yet as it is still early. So far, it appears, on a macro scale, the A10 is taking a step back. But, again, it is still early.

Things should start to become clearer over the next 30 days.
0 x
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

Jdrums#3 wrote: 4 weeks ago
Jersey77 wrote: 4 weeks ago I guess we can start this thread now since the season is over for all the A10 teams.

Good stuff, Jersey, and I appreciate your perspective.

I am not sure what to think yet as it is still early. So far, it appears, on a macro scale, the A10 is taking a step back. But, again, it is still early.

Things should start to become clearer over the next 30 days.
Yes Drums, but I expect the A10 loses to the portal will outweigh the gains, as we have seen.`

I think HC Schertz from Indiana State (not official yet) will be a good addition to the conference.
1 x
sevegny7
Art Stephenson

Unread post by sevegny7 »

I saw it Yesterday but good for A10 as a whole. Joe Bamisile and Zeb Jackson are both returning to VCU next year and will use their last year of Eligibility.

This is a positive for the A10 in its continued pursuit of more At-large bids.
1 x
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

sevegny7 wrote: 2 weeks ago I saw it Yesterday but good for A10 as a whole. Joe Bamisile and Zeb Jackson are both returning to VCU next year and will use their last year of Eligibility.

VCU should be a top contender in the A10 for 24-25.
Only 1 player so far in the portal; Wheeler who averaged about 5 minutes last season.
0 x
sevegny7
Art Stephenson

Unread post by sevegny7 »

Jersey77 wrote: 2 weeks ago
sevegny7 wrote: 2 weeks ago I saw it Yesterday but good for A10 as a whole. Joe Bamisile and Zeb Jackson are both returning to VCU next year and will use their last year of Eligibility.

Only 1 player so far in the portal; Wheeler who averaged about 5 minutes last season.
Yeah forsure. They do lose a couple guys to eligibility exhaustion in Bairstow and Shulga at a minimum.
0 x
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

sevegny7 wrote: 2 weeks ago

Yeah forsure. They do lose a couple guys to eligibility exhaustion in Bairstow and Shulga at a minimum.
Shulga still has another year (Covid) if he decides to use it.
1 x
Jdrums#3
Sly Williams

I love Bamisile’s game. Explosive to the rim, good range on his jump shot and excellent length and athleticism on D. He’s my very early pick for A10 POY.

Would love to see a player with his skill set at Rhody.
0 x
Jdrums#3
Sly Williams

Fyi…a way too early CBB Top 25 has Dayton (@ 21) and SLU (@ 24) listed.

Not sure of the source. Saw it on the Hoya board while looking for updates on KJ.
0 x
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

Good news for Schertz and SLU, Gibby returning (16 pts).

0 x
SGreenwell
Sly Williams

Unread post by SGreenwell »

Jersey77 wrote: 2 weeks ago Good news for Schertz and SLU, Gibby returning (16 pts).

Probably an unintended consequence of NIL - It's more tenable for Jimerson to stick around for his sixth(!) year, instead of going pro, since the money (six figures) is probably about the same. Jimerson is kind of an odd player. His counting stats look good, but it's because he plays gobs of minutes (35.8) per game. His rebounds, assists, steals and blocks are all kind of low, so he's mostly out there to chuck 3s.
1 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

Schertz was recruiting Pikaar to Indiana State. Helped to have the St Louis job as Pikaar mentioned the great SLU facilities in the St Louis Today article. His father played at Dayton. Info posted is after his visit to Penn State in February

Season Overview:
“Our season has been going great. We have a great group of guys who are gunning for a national championship. For me, the season has been good as well, I have been learning a lot and getting used to the American playstyle as well as the physicality. My focus individually has mainly been on getting stronger and putting on weight. Then working with my assistant coach on being able to put the ball on the court confidently. But the focus for me with the team is winning games, that is the most fun thing to me.”
Game Description:
“Versatile. I feel like I’m able to guard multiple positions. Offensively, I can stretch the floor well and I can shoot it. I’m a mismatch for most bigs as I get downhill pretty fast.
Recruitment:
Pikaar added a new offer to the table from Middle Tennessee State, an offer that he is happy to receive. But he also holds offers from Penn State, Indiana State, Sam Houston State, Idaho State, and St. Bonaventure.
“It is an honor to be recruited from any D1 program,” Pikaar told Phenom Hoops. “I realized it is not something a whole lot of people get to experience. I’ve enjoyed my first official visit to Indiana State, and I recently took a visit to Penn State, obviously two great programs but to be fair, I’m being recruited by multiple programs.”
Recapping his trip to Penn State, Pikaar seemed to enjoy himself.
“I enjoyed my time there. I got to see a good game. I got to see the game against Iowa and had a chance to see the facilities as well. I also got to see the campus on a nice day. Nex to the facilities and such, the people I met are top-notch. I realize it is recruiting but I feel they are truly genuine people.”
He has also been receiving interest from VCU, Richmond, Bowling Green, Georgia Tech, and George Washington, and he mentioned that Indiana State, Penn State, St. Bonaventure, Idaho State, and Bowling Green have been recruiting him the hardest right now.

https://www.stltoday.com/sports/college ... 003d0.html
0 x
adam914
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by adam914 »

Dunphy back for another year at LaSalle.

1 x
Jdrums#3
Sly Williams

Good news for the A10 and LaSalle. Very good coach. From a distance, I like his coaching style.
1 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

He decided to use it but……….

0 x
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

ramster wrote: 1 week ago

Yep, all about the $. Not a good 2 days for VCU losing 2 probable starters to the portal. They would have been favorites to win the A10.
0 x
Jdrums#3
Sly Williams

It sucks for the conference, Jersey.

I want us to be a top A10 program but in a strong A10, not a weakened one.
0 x
bigappleram
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by bigappleram »

Jersey77 wrote: 1 week ago

Yep, all about the $. Not a good 2 days for VCU losing 2 probable starters to the portal. They would have been favorites to win the A10.
Some of these transfers just don't make much sense. This is 1 of them.
Follows his coach across the country. Has an alpha role on a team that fills their gym every game and can contend for an NCAA bid.
I am sure he was being paid to some extent but how much more is someone offering him? I can't imagine it's sizable but I guess it kinda has to be because what else is the motivation.
3 x
PeterRamTime
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by PeterRamTime »

bigappleram wrote: 1 week ago

Follows his coach across the country. Has an alpha role on a team that fills their gym every game and can contend for an NCAA bid.
I am sure he was being paid to some extent but how much more is someone offering him? I can't imagine it's sizable but I guess it kinda has to be because what else is the motivation.
A lot of these transfers get screwed chasing the bag.

The money they are being told they are getting is not what they are actually going to end up with.

Heard of plenty examples of players leaving for more money, then realizing they'd have made the same if they just stayed.

Shulga could go be a role player on a P5 team and easily make the same as he would to star on a really good VCU team.
0 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

Since Shulga is from Ukraine going to school here in US, isn’t he exempt from NIL? Just like David Fuchs is exempt?
Last edited by ramster 3 days ago, edited 1 time in total.
0 x
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

Yeah kind of puzzling ! Let’s see if he goes P5
0 x
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

Unread post by NYGFan_Section208 »

PeterRamTime wrote: 1 week ago

The money they are being told they are getting is not what they are actually going to end up with.

Heard of plenty examples of players leaving for more money, then realizing they'd have made the same if they just stayed.

Shulga could go be a role player on a P5 team and easily make the same as he would to star on a really good VCU team.
I guess.....how does it happen that the players are being told they'd get x and end up with less than x?
Are these situations a) where the kid just didn't understand, or b) where the school is screwing him over?
I'd have to guess majority a) because it seems like b) would create some hard to recruit over pr?
0 x
PeterRamTime
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by PeterRamTime »

NYGFan_Section208 wrote: 1 week ago
PeterRamTime wrote: 1 week ago

I guess.....how does it happen that the players are being told they'd get x and end up with less than x?
Are these situations a) where the kid just didn't understand, or b) where the school is screwing him over?
I'd have to guess majority a) because it seems like b) would create some hard to recruit over pr?
A lot of these NIL numbers are just estimates because most NIL deals require players to fulfill certain tasks like autographs, appearences etc. Then they estimate regarding how much sponsorship deals would be from businesses.

Something like that...
1 x
Blue Man
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Blue Man »

Agreed. Why follow in the first place, especially to a place that has the funding and facilities to compete for any kid.

I wonder if the VCU fans are questioning Ryan Odom because a starter dared to transfer. Or if that's only us.

Sad, but this is the new world. People get in these kids ears and who knows what they say - but even the right situation, playing time, school, coach, etc, etc and these kids will just up and move. Could even be as simple as a girl or some BS with other kids. Soft generation, no one wants to stick anything out anymore.
4 x
If you say you’re a Rhody fan, I know you are my brother. For you have suffered as I have suffered.

Give to the Athletic Director's Fund

Give to Rhody's NIL
RIVB
Jim Eitner

Unread post by RIVB »

Since Shulga is from Ukraine going to school here in US, using he exempt from NIL? Just like David Fuchs is exempt?
You are correct. International players cannot accept NIL $ as it is violation of their student visas.
0 x
Blue Man
Tyson Wheeler

RIVB wrote: 3 days ago

Since Shulga is from Ukraine going to school here in US, using he exempt from NIL? Just like David Fuchs is exempt?
You are correct. International players cannot accept NIL $ as it is violation of their student visas.
Anyone ever wonder why all these schools do an overseas trip every year?
0 x
If you say you’re a Rhody fan, I know you are my brother. For you have suffered as I have suffered.

Give to Rhody's NIL
section(105)
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by section(105) »

Someone suggested we scout the men’s league, prison rec yards, maybe we should scout the border for bigs?🤔😉
0 x
Ram logo via Grist 1938
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

Blue Man wrote: 3 days ago

You are only allowed 1 overseas trip every 4 years. Applies to all teams. No team does an overseas trip every year.
1 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

This from VCU Message Board re Shulga.

Penalties for paying International Players could be significant if caught.

IMG_3234.png
0 x
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

Unread post by NYGFan_Section208 »

ramster wrote: 3 days ago

IMG_3234.png
What's the over/under on when that gets lawsuited away? A year? 18 months?
2 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

NYGFan_Section208 wrote: 3 days ago

IMG_3234.png
What's the over/under on when that gets lawsuited away? A year? 18 months?
Maybe less but now into International Law stuff

I think the bigger lawsuit coming is the age limit for the NBA. No way that kid from Maine shouldn’t be in the NBA draft this June. Only because of the 19 year old age limit.
0 x
Blue Man
Tyson Wheeler

Blue Man wrote: 3 days ago
You are only allowed 1 overseas trip every 4 years. Applies to all teams. No team does an overseas trip every year.
Or an MTE out of the country. There’s always a loophole.

Kids were getting paid when it was against the rules, are we naive enough to believe that now the international kids aren’t?
0 x

Give to Rhody's NIL
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

Billy Lange adds Rutgers Transfer Derek Simpson who played 2 years at Rutgers

Also big news Erik Reynolds Jr returns

Saint Joseph's Men's Basketball Head Coach Billy Lange has announced that Derek Simpson has enrolled on Hawk Hill for the 2024-25 season.

A native of Mount Laurel, New Jersey, Simpson joins the Hawks after spending the past two seasons at Rutgers. While with the Scarlet Knights, Simpson averaged 7.7 points, 2.4 rebounds and 2.2 assists per game over 66 career contests that included 31 starts. As a sophomore, the 6-foot-3 guard averaged 8.3 points and 3.2 rebounds per contest, and led Rutgers in assists (93) and steals (44).

IMG_3243.jpeg
0 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

Duquesne is recruiting Maximus Edwards from George Washington and could be close to an announcement

And could Bronny be far behind?

https://www.sportingnews.com/us/ncaa-ba ... 3f1e1a7180
0 x
Rhody15
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Rhody15 »

ramster wrote: 1 day ago Duquesne is recruiting Maximus Edwards from George Washington and could be close to an announcement

They picked up two transfers yesterday, no idea how how many spots they have open currently.
0 x
Go Rhody
Jdrums#3
Sly Williams

ramster wrote: 1 day ago Duquesne is recruiting Maximus Edwards from George Washington and could be close to an announcement

What comes first for us, Ramster ? A big addition to the roster or a new assistant coach ?
0 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

Jdrums#3 wrote: 1 day ago

What comes first for us, Ramster ? A big addition to the roster or a new assistant coach ?
New Assistant Coach

But big addition not far behind
2 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

2 x