2024 NCAA/NIT Post Season Tournaments - All Things

Talk about the men's team, upcoming opponents and news from around college hoop.
section(105)
Ernie Calverley

Re: 2024 NCAA/NIT Post Season Tournaments - All Things

Unread post by section(105) »

Timely, in a just landed URI News, Rhody Today weekly Update article about Rhode Island’s University. I cannot cut and paste here.
0 x
Ram logo via Grist 1938
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by rambone 78 »

What's done is done.

We've paid the price for the lack of commitment toward the BB program.

At least things seem to be changing for the better, at least off the court.

Hopefully that will result in big improvement on the court.

We will never be at UConn's level, but there's no reason we can't be consistently good at our own level.

We have the right president to affect change. The rest will hopefully come as a result.
1 x
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

Unread post by NYGFan_Section208 »

Blue Man wrote: 4 weeks ago
Rhody15 wrote: 4 weeks ago

Nailed it. Absolute perfection.

UConn made $32.6M in basketball, and that's a drop in the bucket compared to what this revitalized run is getting them in terms of national exposure, enrollment, etc. They get it. URI has started to get it as well. UConn's institutional investments (and subsequent winning) have built a fanbase that also gets it, and continues to contribute.

Dan had fears about how high he could take UConn without the NIL money that some of the other programs, and I think those fears have been quelled.

If he wins a title this year he'll pull in like $7.5M. With Kentucky open I'm sure his agent will use that and it wouldn't shock me if there's a new contract again with a lot more for Luke and Kimani as assistants. Dan has made it a point to gas them up in the pressers.

For a guy who leans on Billy Donovan as a mentor, it would be pretty cool for him to be the first coach since Billy to be a repeat champ if UConn keeps this up. UConn played their C game last night and blew out a Sweet 16 game. I've never seen such a complete basketball team.
Kentucky isn’t open though, don’t see how he could use that for leverage.
Scuttlebutt is that it will be.
And why would it not be opening up? I mean...look at what turrrrbleness they've had to put up with:

The Wildcats have not been to the second weekend of the NCAA Tournament since 2019, have just one SEC Tournament win since 2019, have not reached the NCAA Tournament Final Four since 2015, or cut down the nets as national champions since 2012.

Fun article about how the other half 1% lives
https://247sports.com/college/kentucky/ ... 229430189/
0 x
Jdrums#3
Sly Williams

Unread post by Jdrums#3 »

Rhody15 wrote: 4 weeks ago

Nailed it. Absolute perfection.

UConn made $32.6M in basketball, and that's a drop in the bucket compared to what this revitalized run is getting them in terms of national exposure, enrollment, etc. They get it. URI has started to get it as well. UConn's institutional investments (and subsequent winning) have built a fanbase that also gets it, and continues to contribute.

Dan had fears about how high he could take UConn without the NIL money that some of the other programs, and I think those fears have been quelled.

If he wins a title this year he'll pull in like $7.5M. With Kentucky open I'm sure his agent will use that and it wouldn't shock me if there's a new contract again with a lot more for Luke and Kimani as assistants. Dan has made it a point to gas them up in the pressers.

For a guy who leans on Billy Donovan as a mentor, it would be pretty cool for him to be the first coach since Billy to be a repeat champ if UConn keeps this up. UConn played their C game last night and blew out a Sweet 16 game. I've never seen such a complete basketball team.
Kentucky isn’t open though, don’t see how he could use that for leverage.
Scuttlebutt is that it will be.
Blueman, if I was the Kentucky AD or, President, etc, I am coming at Dan hard and with everything I’ve got. He would be my one and only target. I am handing him the keys to the kingdom.

That said, I believe UConn does what’s needed - because they know they have the best college coach - and Dan stays where he is.
0 x
adam914
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by adam914 »

Didn't the AD say Calipari was staying? Not that they can't go back on that at some point I guess.
1 x
PeterRamTime
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by PeterRamTime »

adam914 wrote: 4 weeks ago Didn't the AD say Calipari was staying? Not that they can't go back on that at some point I guess.
Yeah he is

They can't afford to pay that buyout
0 x
Obadiah
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Obadiah »

section(105) wrote: 4 weeks ago
Obadiah wrote: 4 weeks ago Bravo to Dan Hurley whose UConn team have dominated in the NCAAs so far, winning by 32, 17, and 30. We can bask in some reflected glory of his achievement knowing he got his most important chops at Rhody. Hurley made the right decision in taking the UConn job and going to a place, not only for a bigger salary, but a place with an extensive resource support system from top to bottom. Over 25 years ago the State of Connecticut realized what a gem they had in UConn and began a massive investment program on all fronts to build UConn into what it is today. Their smart holistic view of their flagship higher ed institution was there for all to see. Too bad the short sighted officials of the State of Rhode Island cannot grasp that to this day.
I recall Dooley speaking that kinda language at a few FL alumni gatherings. It appeared he got it. But not sustained with the necessary mission support in funding from Legislators with that same vision and commitment. Blame the Legislature?
He's full of it. He most certainly did not get it. If he got it, we would've got a few more years of Hurley and a different replacement coach. Dan was ready to leave here when he realized URI didn't want to get to the next level after the 2017 run.

No matter what anyone's knowledge of Dooley's time here relative to athletics, there's a pretty easy comparison to see all the things that have changed under Parlange vs under Dooley.

Especially when it came to lobbying at the state level for athletic facilities. Dooley refused to ask for any state help for athletic facilities. You can't blame the legislature if they were never made aware of the problems with our athletic facilities. It's not a coincidence that there was a major public press campaign from Thorr and Shane that coincided with a massive push for legislators getting tours of our failing buildings. Plus Parlange is committing significantly more university dollars for athletics, it's how we were able to give Archie the contract we did. Dave Dooley was a fraud. Parlange gets it. History would be very different for us if Marc Parlange was president from 2012 to now.
On retrospect I have to agree with BM's assessment of Dooley, who talked a big game and had insight, but didn't delivered any substantive changes. On a side note, I once was at a reception with Dooley and his wife Lynn. After taking with her, my wife was struck by how little she knew about Rhode Island and key locations despite having lived here for over 8 years at the time. I got the impression they both were treading water for a while as they looked forward to moving back to Bozeman, Montana. They never really embraced Rhode Island and the New England lifestyle and seemed to endlessly talk about Montana.
1 x
steviep123
Sly Williams

Unread post by steviep123 »

I can't see DH leaving UConn for any other college team at this point. I know ace in the past has elluded to him only leaving Rhody for a handful of places, UConn being one. Would love to get ace's input on if he'd leave UConn for another college team. If UConn was one of the handful before, is there another place he'd leave UConn for or is this it?
0 x
Bleed Keaney Blue!

”I'm not coming there to be in the top 3 of the Atlantic 10. I'm coming to win the damn thing!”
theblueram
Frank Keaney

Unread post by theblueram »

Obadiah wrote: 4 weeks ago
section(105) wrote: 4 weeks ago

I recall Dooley speaking that kinda language at a few FL alumni gatherings. It appeared he got it. But not sustained with the necessary mission support in funding from Legislators with that same vision and commitment. Blame the Legislature?
He's full of it. He most certainly did not get it. If he got it, we would've got a few more years of Hurley and a different replacement coach. Dan was ready to leave here when he realized URI didn't want to get to the next level after the 2017 run.

No matter what anyone's knowledge of Dooley's time here relative to athletics, there's a pretty easy comparison to see all the things that have changed under Parlange vs under Dooley.

Especially when it came to lobbying at the state level for athletic facilities. Dooley refused to ask for any state help for athletic facilities. You can't blame the legislature if they were never made aware of the problems with our athletic facilities. It's not a coincidence that there was a major public press campaign from Thorr and Shane that coincided with a massive push for legislators getting tours of our failing buildings. Plus Parlange is committing significantly more university dollars for athletics, it's how we were able to give Archie the contract we did. Dave Dooley was a fraud. Parlange gets it. History would be very different for us if Marc Parlange was president from 2012 to now.
On retrospect I have to agree with BM's assessment of Dooley, who talked a big game and had insight, but didn't delivered any substantive changes. On a side note, I once was at a reception with Dooley and his wife Lynn. After taking with her, my wife was struck by how little she knew about Rhode Island and key locations despite having lived here for over 8 years at the time. I got the impression they both were treading water for a while as they looked forward to moving back to Bozeman, Montana. They never really embraced Rhode Island and the New England lifestyle and seemed to endlessly talk about Montana.
Dooley was not hired to advance URI Athletics. Under Dooley, URI was transformed into a top class campus. New Biology and Chemistry buildings. New Business school updates. New Engineering building. New Welcome Center. New on campus apartments. New freshmen dorm. New Pharmacy building. Just about every dorm was updated. New Fascitelli Student Center. So when I go on campus now, and see all the new buildings I credit Dooley. Maybe he didn't focus on sports, but he transformed this campus like no other President has ever done. Sometimes, sports isn't everything. Ya gotta have a campus that attracts students.
6 x
section(105)
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by section(105) »

Amen.
0 x
Ram logo via Grist 1938
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

Marquette was awful 1h just awful !
2 x
Jdrums#3
Sly Williams

Shocked that NC St. beat Marquette, but they’ve been on a roll.
0 x
Jdrums#3
Sly Williams

reef wrote: 4 weeks ago Marquette was awful 1h just awful !
Reef, how is Purdue looking tonight. I haven’t been watching but checked on line and saw they were up 16 late.

I expected Zaga to keep it closer.
0 x
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Jersey77 »

Jdrums#3 wrote: 4 weeks ago
Reef, how is Purdue looking tonight. I haven’t been watching but checked on line and saw they were up 16 late.

Braden Smith from Purdue with 15 assists, almost had a triple double. `
1 x
steveystuds06
Sly Williams

Unread post by steveystuds06 »

Jersey77 wrote: 4 weeks ago

Purdue is legit. Love their team. UConn Purdue would be an epic finals
1 x
ATTITUDE IS EVERYTHING
Jdrums#3
Sly Williams

Houston came out ready to play. Duke with the early time out to try to recalibrate.
0 x
Jdrums#3
Sly Williams

Man, Houston is quick and they scramble all over the place on D. It’s like helter skelter ball.

Ooph. I would go nuts playing against them if I could still play. Crap, they are wearing me out just watching them. :lol:

Coach! I need a time out! Help! :lol:

Fun team to watch.
1 x
Jdrums#3
Sly Williams

Big loss for Houston if Shead can’t come back from that turned ankle. Tough break for the young man. He was playing hard. Great college player.
1 x
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

steveystuds06 wrote: 4 weeks ago
Jersey77 wrote: 4 weeks ago

Purdue is legit. Love their team. UConn Purdue would be an epic finals
Yeah that’s what I’m thinking UConn v Purdue final !
0 x
PeterRamTime
Ernie Calverley

Duke got so Lucky Shead got hurt.

Go Vols! Beat up on soft ass crieghton and made shots!

Elite 8 about to be....great 🥰
1 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

Elite 8 is set……..

ACC - 3 - Duke, Clemson, North Carolina State
SEC - 2 - Alabama, Tennessee
Big 10 - 2 - Purdue, Illinois
NBE - 1 - Connecticut

IMG_2916.jpeg
0 x
adam914
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by adam914 »

I'll be at the Alabama/Clemson game tonight. Look for the guy in the Rhody gear.
3 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

adam914 wrote: 4 weeks ago I'll be at the Alabama/Clemson game tonight. Look for the guy in the Rhody gear.
Interesting how Clemson and Alabama are playing in Los Angeles for the Western Regional Championship. A long way from “home” for these players and fans for each team.

Great game to attend especially with Preston Murphy in a key role.
2 x
adam914
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by adam914 »

ramster wrote: 4 weeks ago
adam914 wrote: 4 weeks ago I'll be at the Alabama/Clemson game tonight. Look for the guy in the Rhody gear.
Interesting how Clemson and Alabama are playing in Los Angeles for the Western Regional Championship. A long way from “home” for these players and fans for each team.

Yeah I'm looking forward to it! It'll be interesting to see what the crowd is like. I love watching Alabama play.
0 x
sevegny7
Art Stephenson

Unread post by sevegny7 »

I am headed to the UCONN vs Illinois game today in Boston.

Really was considering wearing my URI gear to the game hahha.

I'm sure Hurley would appreciate the attire hahha and prolly half the UCONN staff.
2 x
adam914
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by adam914 »

sevegny7 wrote: 4 weeks ago I am headed to the UCONN vs Illinois game today in Boston.

I'm sure Hurley would appreciate the attire hahha and prolly half the UCONN staff.
They definitely would!
1 x
PeterRamTime
Ernie Calverley

sevegny7 wrote: 4 weeks ago I am headed to the UCONN vs Illinois game today in Boston.

Yeah wear your Rhody stuff, people do that. I'd rather see you reppin on TV than another random Duke jersey in attendance.
2 x
PeterRamTime
Ernie Calverley

adam914 wrote: 4 weeks ago

Yeah I'm looking forward to it! It'll be interesting to see what the crowd is like. I love watching Alabama play.
If you see open seats behind the benches go sit and and wave 😂

Seriously though

Buy the cheapest tickets possible and go sit somewhere good!

Their fanbases suck at supporting basketball. Shouldn't be that full.
2 x
adam914
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by adam914 »

PeterRamTime wrote: 4 weeks ago

Seriously though

Got the tickets for free, so not going to find any cheaper than that! :)

We are in the lower section though, so I'll move over there by the benches if I get a chance.
2 x
PeterRamTime
Ernie Calverley

Seriously though

We are in the lower section though, so I'll move over there by the benches if I get a chance.
Hell yeah! Have fun! Do some Rhody elite 8 manifesting!
1 x
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

Seriously though

Nice , make sure P Murph sees you in your Rhody gear , he will love it !
4 x
Jdrums#3
Sly Williams

ramster wrote: 4 weeks ago Elite 8 is set……..

NBE - 1 - Connecticut

IMG_2916.jpeg
Thanks for the post, Ramster.

No Big12 reps. #1 conference per the NET.
0 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

ramster wrote: 4 weeks ago Elite 8 is set……..

NBE - 1 - Connecticut

IMG_2916.jpeg
Thanks for the post, Ramster.

No Big12 reps. #1 conference per the NET.
Unfortunately Jamal Shead got hurt early in the game last night and had to sit out the rest of the game. They said he would have sat out the rest of the tournament had Houston won. A shame to have one if the best players in college basketball get hurt in such a big game. He is important to Houston on offense, defense in a big way and in leadership.

NBE with only UConn advancing - a school likely to move on to a super conference in the future.
1 x
Rhode_Island_Red
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Rhode_Island_Red »

ramster wrote: 3 weeks ago NBE with only UConn advancing - a school likely to move on to a super conference in the future.
Not with that horseshit football program
0 x
Proudly supplying the Internet with online wisecracks, impertinent comments and loathing of all things mental hospital since 1996.
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

Rhode_Island_Red wrote: 3 weeks ago
ramster wrote: 3 weeks ago NBE with only UConn advancing - a school likely to move on to a super conference in the future.
Even with the football program. Can’t pass up $50 to $70 million a year being in a P5 Football inclusive conference. NBE gets paid $4 million per team per year - a long way from P5 money. I don’t think there is any way that UConn stays independent in football for the long haul.
Last edited by ramster 3 weeks ago, edited 1 time in total.
0 x
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

A 30 to nothing run...Thirty...to nothing....
0 x
Obadiah
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Obadiah »

Awesome domination by UConn to start the second half. This team is a Mad Max machine.
1 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

23-23 with a minute or so left in 1st half, then 23-53 about 7 minutes into the 2nd half. Crazy. 30 point run.
0 x
theblueram
Frank Keaney

Unread post by theblueram »

Dan Hurley kicking the crap out of Illinois.
0 x
PeterRamTime
Ernie Calverley

ramster wrote: 3 weeks ago 23-23 with a minute or so left in 1st half, then 23-53 about 7 minutes into the 2nd half. Crazy. 30 point run.
Not sure I've seen anything like it 😳
0 x
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

PeterRamTime wrote: 3 weeks ago
ramster wrote: 3 weeks ago 23-23 with a minute or so left in 1st half, then 23-53 about 7 minutes into the 2nd half. Crazy. 30 point run.
UNLV was on a pretty dominating run there for a while weren't they?
0 x
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by rambone 78 »

Whoever wins the Alabama Clemson game should just forfeit.

They have no chance.

That's the best second half team I've ever seen.
0 x
Mattrams94
Michael Andersen

Unread post by Mattrams94 »

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">UConn&#39;s Dan Hurley still has URI star EC Matthews&#39; headband from the night he tore his ACL on his desk. <br><br>&quot;Just as a memory of how I felt that night.&quot;<br><br>The injury happened in the first game of what was supposed to be a breakthrough season.<br><br>He&#39;s broken through at URI and UConn. <a href="https://t.co/5OaAkMUpfs">pic.twitter.co ... </p>&mdash; Ian Steele (@RealianSteele6) <a href=" 30, 2024</a></blockquote> <script async src="https://platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>
6 x
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

Mattrams94 wrote: 3 weeks ago <blockquote class="twitter-tweet"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">UConn&#39;s Dan Hurley still has URI star EC Matthews&#39; headband from the night he tore his ACL on his desk. <br><br>&quot;Just as a memory of how I felt that night.&quot;<br><br>The injury happened in the first game of what was supposed to be a breakthrough season.<br><br>He&#39;s broken through at URI and UConn. <a href="https://t.co/5OaAkMUpfs">pic.twitter.co ... </p>&mdash; Ian Steele (@RealianSteele6) <a href=" 30, 2024</a></blockquote> <script async src="https://platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>
If it’s Oats v Hurley be a nice URi EC Matthews connection !
0 x
PeterRamTime
Ernie Calverley

NYGFan_Section208 wrote: 3 weeks ago
PeterRamTime wrote: 3 weeks ago
UNLV was on a pretty dominating run there for a while weren't they?
I'm talking bout that 30-0 run they had at the end of the first half into the second half.
0 x
Jdrums#3
Sly Williams

reef wrote: 3 weeks ago
Mattrams94 wrote: 3 weeks ago <blockquote class="twitter-tweet"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">UConn&#39;s Dan Hurley still has URI star EC Matthews&#39; headband from the night he tore his ACL on his desk. <br><br>&quot;Just as a memory of how I felt that night.&quot;<br><br>The injury happened in the first game of what was supposed to be a breakthrough season.<br><br>He&#39;s broken through at URI and UConn. <a href="https://t.co/5OaAkMUpfs">pic.twitter.co ... </p>&mdash; Ian Steele (@RealianSteele6) <a href=" 30, 2024</a></blockquote> <script async src="https://platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>
If it’s Oats v Hurley be a nice URi EC Matthews connection !
I like how Dan said in the vid above, RI became a Keaney Blue State. Rhody should adopt that and use it.

Make RI a Keaney Blue State, Archie. Let’s goooooooooo
Last edited by Jdrums#3 3 weeks ago, edited 1 time in total.
0 x
PeterRamTime
Ernie Calverley

Come the hell on Clemson!
0 x
Rhode_Island_Red
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Rhode_Island_Red »

ramster wrote: 3 weeks ago
Rhode_Island_Red wrote: 3 weeks ago
Even with the football program. Can’t pass up $50 to $70 million a year being in a P5 Football inclusive conference. NBE gets paid $4 million per team per year - a long way from P5 money. I don’t think there is any way that UConn stays independent in football for the long haul.
Football -- not basketball -- drives the Cartel. The Leg-humpers have been trying for decades to break into the Cartel, but with that laughingstock of a football program all those national basketball championships have gotten them nowhere.
0 x
Proudly supplying the Internet with online wisecracks, impertinent comments and loathing of all things mental hospital since 1996.
BobfromMatunuck
Michael Andersen

Unread post by BobfromMatunuck »

Have you heard the good news? He is risen.

Happy Easter! Go Rhody!
3 x
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

BobfromMatunuck wrote: 3 weeks ago Have you heard the good news? He is risen.

Happy Easter! Go Rhody!
Hallelujah! He is risen indeed!
3 x