2024 NCAA/NIT Post Season Tournaments - All Things

Talk about the men's team, upcoming opponents and news from around college hoop.
adam914
Ernie Calverley

Re: 2024 NCAA/NIT Post Season Tournaments - All Things

Unread post by adam914 »

adam914 wrote: 1 month ago I'll be at the Alabama/Clemson game tonight. Look for the guy in the Rhody gear.
Ended up being a really entertaining game! The crowd was great, close to a sell out. I'd say Bama had the slight edge in fans but it was much closer than I expected. Both sides traveled really well. Sears for Alabama is so good.

I was on the opposite side of the Alabama bench, so I didn't get a chance to try and hit up PMurph. :lol:

Oh and I did get one shout out from someone on my Rhody 2017 A-10 champs shirt!
4 x
PeterRamTime
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by PeterRamTime »

Guess Purdue would have a chance against UConn since you're not allowed to guard mfing Edey
4 x
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

Dalton Knecht is a flat out baller !
0 x
Jdrums#3
Sly Williams

Unread post by Jdrums#3 »

reef wrote: 4 weeks ago Dalton Knecht is a flat out baller !
He’s an excellent player, Reef.

He had 2 clean looks at 3’s late in the game that just didn’t fall or it might have been a different finish. But, it happens that way sometimes. Despite that, he is excellent.

Good game.
0 x
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

Vols looked like a 1 man team only Knecht rest were trash !
0 x
steveystuds06
Sly Williams

Unread post by steveystuds06 »

Would love a Purdue UConn finals. Best two teams this year. And that’s what I have in my bracket. Edey is unstoppable. What a great game
0 x
ATTITUDE IS EVERYTHING
PeterRamTime
Ernie Calverley

reef wrote: 4 weeks ago Vols looked like a 1 man team only Knecht rest were trash !
Been the problem all year. Everyone else is too inconsistent.

He needed a couple more to fall if UT was gonna be able to overcome Edey and the insane foul disparity.
0 x
steveystuds06
Sly Williams

I’m seeing a bunch of people complain that Edey went to the line a lot.. His size, footwork, and ability to finish around the rim make him a force in the paint. When he establishes position close to the basket, defenders often find themselves in a dilemma: either allow him an easy scoring opportunity or risk fouling him to prevent the basket. Furthermore, Edey’s presence in the post often leads to double teams, increasing the likelihood of drawing fouls as defenders scramble to disrupt his scoring attempts. Big men like Edey tend to get fouled a lot. This has been going on for years and years when you think of other similar bigs.

As for today, I agree it was a little excessive and made the game boring, but Tennessee didn’t draw many fouls because they relied heavily on 3-pointers and midrange jumpers. Rather than attempting to challenge Edey directly, they opted to pull up at the elbow, exploiting the space left by Edey’s tendency to fade off most of the time.

I think he was incredible today and I perfer to praise special players like Edey and Knecht. But instead, Twitter is mainly full of idiots that talk shit about an all time college great like Edey. Frustrating
3 x
ATTITUDE IS EVERYTHING
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

Unread post by NYGFan_Section208 »

steveystuds06 wrote: 4 weeks ago I’m seeing a bunch of people complain that Edey went to the line a lot.. His size, footwork, and ability to finish around the rim make him a force in the paint. When he establishes position close to the basket, defenders often find themselves in a dilemma: either allow him an easy scoring opportunity or risk fouling him to prevent the basket. Furthermore, Edey’s presence in the post often leads to double teams, increasing the likelihood of drawing fouls as defenders scramble to disrupt his scoring attempts. Big men like Edey tend to get fouled a lot. This has been going on for years and years when you think of other similar bigs.

As for today, I agree it was a little excessive and made the game boring, but Tennessee didn’t draw many fouls because they relied heavily on 3-pointers and midrange jumpers. Rather than attempting to challenge Edey directly, they opted to pull up at the elbow, exploiting the space left by Edey’s tendency to fade off most of the time.

I think he was incredible today and I perfer to praise special players like Edey and Knecht. But instead,
Twitter is mainly full of idiots that talk shit about an all time college great like Edey. Frustrating
fify
0 x
Rhode_Island_Red
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Rhode_Island_Red »

State coach just got Duked with that bad call and horseshit technical.
0 x
Proudly supplying the Internet with online wisecracks, impertinent comments and loathing of all things mental hospital since 1996.
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Jersey77 »

steveystuds06 wrote: 4 weeks ago I’m seeing a bunch of people complain that Edey went to the line a lot.. His size, footwork, and ability to finish around the rim make him a force in the paint. When he establishes position close to the basket, defenders often find themselves in a dilemma: either allow him an easy scoring opportunity or risk fouling him to prevent the basket. Furthermore, Edey’s presence in the post often leads to double teams, increasing the likelihood of drawing fouls as defenders scramble to disrupt his scoring attempts. Big men like Edey tend to get fouled a lot. This has been going on for years and years when you think of other similar bigs.

I think he was incredible today and I perfer to praise special players like Edey and Knecht. But instead, Twitter is mainly full of idiots that talk shit about an all time college great like Edey. Frustrating
Stevey, I agree Edey is a special player, and I am not a Purdue fan at all.

If he was wearing a Rhody uniform, everyone here would be calling him the greatest ever.
0 x
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

filipowski out...ball game
0 x
PeterRamTime
Ernie Calverley

He camps in the lane with impunity as well

He just gets officiated differently. It's one of the more absurd things I've seen. Some of what you said is valid...but there were also UK and Bama fans rooting for the Vols during that game lol there's also tons of clips where he just throws people around and they don't call a foul. But it is also true that he is fouled a lot too.

Knecht needed more help and to go for 40 plus, but it's just ya know...crazy how the foul disparity when you play Purdue is insane.

They commit the least fouls and draw the most fouls in the country.

We will see it again when they play NC State. Their opponents have committed 40 more fouls than they have in the tournament thus far 😂

I think UConn's shot making will overcome it though. Will be interesting.
1 x
Rhody09
Steve Chubin

Unread post by Rhody09 »

Have to love Burns. He gives slight Andre Berry vibes.
5 x
Rhode_Island_Red
Carlton Owens

This is almost as much fun as watching the mental hospital lose.
2 x
Proudly supplying the Internet with online wisecracks, impertinent comments and loathing of all things mental hospital since 1996.
SGreenwell
Sly Williams

Unread post by SGreenwell »

Edey is the modern, big man version of James Harden. Just creates tons of contact on basically every play, and almost never gets called for a charge. It's effective, but it turns the game into an unwatchable slog.
3 x
McRam
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by McRam »

Jersey77 wrote: 4 weeks ago

If he was wearing a Rhody uniform, everyone here would be calling him the greatest ever.
Nah, everyone would say what is he doing at Rhode Island?
0 x
steveystuds06
Sly Williams

NYGFan_Section208 wrote: 4 weeks ago

I think he was incredible today and I perfer to praise special players like Edey and Knecht. But instead,
Twitter is mainly full of idiots that talk shit about an all time college great like Edey. Frustrating
fify
Great insight.
0 x
ATTITUDE IS EVERYTHING
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

PeterRamTime wrote: 4 weeks ago

He camps in the lane with impunity as well

He just gets officiated differently. It's one of the more absurd things I've seen. Some of what you said is valid...but there were also UK and Bama fans rooting for the Vols during that game lol there's also tons of clips where he just throws people around and they don't call a foul. But it is also true that he is fouled a lot too.

Knecht needed more help and to go for 40 plus, but it's just ya know...crazy how the foul disparity when you play Purdue is insane.

They commit the least fouls and draw the most fouls in the country.

We will see it again when they play NC State. Their opponents have committed 40 more fouls than they have in the tournament thus far 😂

I think UConn's shot making will overcome it though. Will be interesting.
I work with an Indiana fan that constantly whines about how he's treated differently...didn't see any of their game today really, but sounds like maybe he is...let's see how that plays with uconn
0 x
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

NC State such a remarkable story only qualified by winning 5 games in 5 days including that miracle 3 to force OT against UVA

Very similar to their 1983 run
2 x
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

McRam wrote: 4 weeks ago

Nah, everyone would say what is he doing at Rhode Island?
That too, for sure
0 x
steveystuds06
Sly Williams

Neither am I. It just cracks me up. You look at Purdue's shot chart, and it's literally all in the paint or threes. Then you look at Tennessee, and you see a bunch in the midrange and threes, and people wonder why there's such a big difference in fouls. Also, all you had to do was watch the game, and you can see why they had more free throws. When you have big men like Edey and your entire game plan is to force-feed him, more often than not, you're going to create more fouls. Does it make the game boring sometimes? 100%. Are the refs going to miss calls and make mistakes? 100%... Do star players tend to get a friendly whistle? Yup. Of course, you can nitpick and find plays where he didn't get fouled or fouled someone. He's an incredibly big target; everything he does, your eyes are on him the entire game. If you take away all the free throws he made, he still would have had 26 and 16. It reminds me of Warriors fans in the playoffs last year. They wouldn't stop complaining that the Lakers kept getting more free throws. Hmm, I wonder why? Their three best players are all elite at drawing fouls. And we feed the paint and attack the paint more than most, if not all, the teams in the NBA. What do the Warriors do? They shoot a million threes.

Anyways, I kinda miss the traditional center like Edey. You don't see that much anymore since all anyone gives a damn about now is 1-5 throwing up threes. You don't have to like him, but some people are acting like he's only putting up big numbers because of free throws and downplay his skill. He's awesome.

If you love college basketball and want the best possible game, I think the easy answer is UConn vs. Purdue. I'd love to see how Dan slows him down. I'd love to see Clingan and Edey matchup.
2 x
ATTITUDE IS EVERYTHING
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

3 x
PeterRamTime
Ernie Calverley

ramster wrote: 4 weeks ago

Archie

Get a true fuckin center!
1 x
PeterRamTime
Ernie Calverley

steveystuds06 wrote: 4 weeks ago

Neither am I. It just cracks me up. You look at Purdue's shot chart, and it's literally all in the paint or threes. Then you look at Tennessee, and you see a bunch in the midrange and threes, and people wonder why there's such a big difference in fouls. Also, all you had to do was watch the game, and you can see why they had more free throws. When you have big men like Edey and your entire game plan is to force-feed him, more often than not, you're going to create more fouls. Does it make the game boring sometimes? 100%. Are the refs going to miss calls and make mistakes? 100%... Do star players tend to get a friendly whistle? Yup. Of course, you can nitpick and find plays where he didn't get fouled or fouled someone. He's an incredibly big target; everything he does, your eyes are on him the entire game. If you take away all the free throws he made, he still would have had 26 and 16. It reminds me of Warriors fans in the playoffs last year. They wouldn't stop complaining that the Lakers kept getting more free throws. Hmm, I wonder why? Their three best players are all elite at drawing fouls. And we feed the paint and attack the paint more than most, if not all, the teams in the NBA. What do the Warriors do? They shoot a million threes.

Anyways, I kinda miss the traditional center like Edey. You don't see that much anymore since all anyone gives a damn about now is 1-5 throwing up threes. You don't have to like him, but some people are acting like he's only putting up big numbers because of free throws and downplay his skill. He's awesome.

If you love college basketball and want the best possible game, I think the easy answer is UConn vs. Purdue. I'd love to see how Dan slows him down. I'd love to see Clingan and Edey matchup.
Screw them both

Go NC State!

Also, it cracks you up? How about how every single game with Purdue goes that way?

Edey drew 15 fouls to only committing one in 40 minutes of play. Insane.

It's not just fans, but other coaches have argued the same thing and I GUARANTEE you Dan Hurley would FOR SURE complain about that shit come next Monday unless Burns can put Edey in the spin cycle. 😉
1 x
Rhody_NYCT
Jimmy Baron

Unread post by Rhody_NYCT »

I personally think Edey was fouled at least another 5 times that could have been called. I don’t think he’s getting away with much at all. He plays a clean game. Obviously he is just so difficult to guard. Considering Hurley stomps his feet on just about every single play during a game, you can be sure he would put on an all-time bitch and moan performance if he faces Purdue in the final. It would be nauseating. I like Hurley. He’s a great coach, but it gets really tiring watching him and a lot of other college coaches complain to the officials ALL GAME LONG. Some people might say arguing almost every call is tactical, but I think it’s lame.
2 x
Rhodymob05
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhodymob05 »

All I know is that , the successful teams this season are winning in the paint with size. Get us some bigs Archie!
1 x
GO RAMS
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

0 x
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

I think this should go under the April Fools thread.
3 x
section(105)
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by section(105) »

Except maybe it is not? Got me if it is fake. Yea the Ruby Tuesday thing……..yea, no.
0 x
Ram logo via Grist 1938
Rhody15
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Rhody15 »

Come on man, you really fell for this?
1 x
Go Rhody
steviep123
Sly Williams

Unread post by steviep123 »

Rhody09 wrote: 4 weeks ago Have to love Burns. He gives slight Andre Berry vibes.
reminded me of big ed brown...
2 x
Bleed Keaney Blue!

”I'm not coming there to be in the top 3 of the Atlantic 10. I'm coming to win the damn thing!”
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

steviep123 wrote: 4 weeks ago
Rhody09 wrote: 4 weeks ago Have to love Burns. He gives slight Andre Berry vibes.
reminded me of big ed brown...
Similar to both. Love how much fun Burns has playing the game.
2 x
section(105)
Ernie Calverley

Rhody15 wrote: 4 weeks ago
😞
0 x
Ram logo via Grist 1938
steviep123
Sly Williams

section(105) wrote: 4 weeks ago
😞
What day is today?
0 x
Bleed Keaney Blue!

”I'm not coming there to be in the top 3 of the Atlantic 10. I'm coming to win the damn thing!”
Blue Man
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Blue Man »

With the whistles, Edey is borderline unwatchable.

It is impossible, literally impossible, to be that big, play 40 minutes, play 100% of your game directly under the basket, while only committing 1 foul.

When one player is getting to the line more than the entire other team...that's not a good product to watch.

It would be one thing if he was a finesse player who stayed to the outside, but this dude is literally draping himself all over smaller players, allowed to push them, go over them, fall on top of them...no calls. But if the ball is stripped from his hands...it's an automatic whistle.

My problem with these kind of guys is they're good enough to be a good player without the favoritism, but he's still getting it.

His only skill is being tall and for some reason getting a whistle. This dude has now got to the line more than Pete Marovich.

In the NCAA this year he had ONE HUNDRED AND FIVE more free throw attempts than the SECOND MOST in all of college basketball. That number goes far beyond statistical anomaly.

He has 312 field goals made against 301 made free throws...HOW IS THAT POSSIBLE!?

Does this mean we're supposed to believe that this guy is a bully on one end but then with a sub 100 DRtg he's just the most skilled defender of all time and he never fouls anyone?

32 minutes a game as a center, in the B1G, and he only fouls 1.9 per game? Yet he plays the kind of basketball that gets him to the line 11.5 times???

Studs you know I love you. But this is some serious cognitive dissonance if you think the entire college basketball world is saying how ridiculous this kid is handled by the refs...but everyone else is wrong?
2 x
If you say you’re a Rhody fan, I know you are my brother. For you have suffered as I have suffered.

Give to the Athletic Director's Fund

Give to Rhody's NIL
Blue Man
Tyson Wheeler

Blue Man wrote: 4 weeks ago With the whistles, Edey is borderline unwatchable.

It is impossible, literally impossible, to be that big, play 40 minutes, play 100% of your game directly under the basket, while only committing 1 foul.

When one player is getting to the line more than the entire other team...that's not a good product to watch.

It would be one thing if he was a finesse player who stayed to the outside, but this dude is literally draping himself all over smaller players, allowed to push them, go over them, fall on top of them...no calls. But if the ball is stripped from his hands...it's an automatic whistle.

My problem with these kind of guys is they're good enough to be a good player without the favoritism, but he's still getting it.

His only skill is being tall and for some reason getting a whistle. This dude has now got to the line more than Pete Marovich.

In the NCAA this year he had ONE HUNDRED AND FIVE more free throw attempts than the SECOND MOST in all of college basketball. That number goes far beyond statistical anomaly.

He has 312 field goals made against 301 made free throws...HOW IS THAT POSSIBLE!?

Does this mean we're supposed to believe that this guy is a bully on one end but then with a sub 100 DRtg he's just the most skilled defender of all time and he never fouls anyone?

32 minutes a game as a center, in the B1G, and he only fouls 1.9 per game? Yet he plays the kind of basketball that gets him to the line 11.5 times???

Studs you know I love you. But this is some serious cognitive dissonance if you think the entire college basketball world is saying how ridiculous this kid is handled by the refs...but everyone else is wrong?

I could continually post - because there is no shortage of these, but cmon man. You know hoops. This is wrong.
2 x
If you say you’re a Rhody fan, I know you are my brother. For you have suffered as I have suffered.

Give to Rhody's NIL
section(105)
Ernie Calverley

😞
What day is today?
March 32nd…….anyone got a bridge for sale?
2 x
Ram logo via Grist 1938
steviep123
Sly Williams

😞
What day is today?
March 32nd…….anyone got a bridge for sale?
:lol: :lol: :lol:
1 x
Bleed Keaney Blue!

Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

Blue Man, still that doesn't diminish the fact that he is an elite center in college basketball.
He has excellent hands, good footwork, gets position, and a soft touch around the basket.
All that and you can't teach size.

I wish we had someone close to that.
1 x
Rhody_NYCT
Jimmy Baron

I’m not saying Edey doesn’t get away with some no-calls or missed calls, but if I had the time, I could easily compile a bunch of missed calls from yesterday going the other way when he is involved in the play. Easily. That said, EVERY game has tons of missed calls. It’s just the way it is. Edey is not even an aggressive player. He’s just huge compared to almost everyone else in the college game. Tough luck.
0 x
RI_Bred
Carlton Owens

Unread post by RI_Bred »

If UConn and Purdue play for the title that center matchup is going to be really interesting.
1 x
Mobley was fouled.
steveystuds06
Sly Williams

Blue Man wrote: 4 weeks ago

I could continually post - because there is no shortage of these, but cmon man. You know hoops. This is wrong.
You guys act like he's shooting 20+ free throws a game. Yesterday was a career-high.

Yes, you can find plays, especially on toxic Twitter, where more people talk trash than actually respect players. Edey gets fouled constantly every single game. You're absolutely blind if you think he doesn't. Yesterday was excessive; he should have been called for more fouls, and he went to the line the most he ever has. It was too much.

I'm an Ohio State fan. I HATE playing him. But I understand why he gets to the line a lot.. There is no other way to defend him. There isn't any player like him in the game right now. He used to foul a lot, and it's one of the biggest things he's worked on during his college career. He's also a great kid. He doesn't complain 24/7, like 99% of players in the NBA/NCAA. He's humble, and instead of giving him props, you told me he sucked yesterday haha... Which may be the craziest statement you've ever made, Blueman. The national player of the year in back-to-back seasons sucks?!!

Oh, and let me guess. When you play the Bucks, do you get upset that Giannis often goes to the line, too? Freak, one-of-a-kind players go to the line a lot. This has happened our entire lives, and some of you are still surprised.

Now, a legendary coach like Rick Barnes made a great point yesterday
"He’s a difficult guy to guard against,” Barnes said. “But he's a difficult guy for referees to officiate, too. I don't care what anybody says: He's a hard guy to do that with because he's a unique guy in terms of how he plays.”

Field of 68 has two great discussions about it here:
- And your boy Dan has nothing be positive things to say about him today. He brought up some of the all-time great centers. He's 100% right!

2 x
ATTITUDE IS EVERYTHING
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

steveystuds06 wrote: 4 weeks ago

You guys act like he's shooting 20+ free throws a game. Yesterday was a career-high.

Yes, you can find plays, especially on toxic Twitter, where more people talk trash than actually respect players. Edey gets fouled constantly every single game. You're absolutely blind if you think he doesn't. Yesterday was excessive; he should have been called for more fouls, and he went to the line the most he ever has. It was too much.

I'm an Ohio State fan. I HATE playing him. But I understand why he gets to the line a lot.. There is no other way to defend him. There isn't any player like him in the game right now. He used to foul a lot, and it's one of the biggest things he's worked on during his college career. He's also a great kid. He doesn't complain 24/7, like 99% of players in the NBA/NCAA. He's humble, and instead of giving him props, you told me he sucked yesterday haha... Which may be the craziest statement you've ever made, Blueman. The national player of the year in back-to-back seasons sucks?!!

Oh, and let me guess. When you play the Bucks, do you get upset that Giannis often goes to the line, too? Freak, one-of-a-kind players go to the line a lot. This has happened our entire lives, and some of you are still surprised.

Now, a legendary coach like Rick Barnes made a great point yesterday
"He’s a difficult guy to guard against,” Barnes said. “But he's a difficult guy for referees to officiate, too. I don't care what anybody says: He's a hard guy to do that with because he's a unique guy in terms of how he plays.”

Field of 68 has two great discussions about it here:
- And your boy Dan has nothing be positive things to say about him today. He brought up some of the all-time great centers. He's 100% right!

Yes, 100% Stevey.
0 x
Jdrums#3
Sly Williams

Unread post by Jdrums#3 »

Blue, did DH personally send you this info ? Did he put you on his PR team ?

Just kidding :lol:

I only saw bits and pieces of Edey games and honestly wasn’t paying close attention to how the ref’s were treating him.

That said, I missed most of what’s in the vid’s you posted above. You and Stevey make valid points. Good debate. I will have to pay close attention during the next Purdue game.
0 x
Rhode_Island_Red
Carlton Owens

Does everyone here know you can quote somebody's post without repeating all 12 miles of tweets every time?????????
3 x
Blue Man
Tyson Wheeler

Jdrums#3 wrote: 4 weeks ago
Blue, did DH personally send you this info ? Did he put you on his PR team ?

Just kidding :lol:

I only saw bits and pieces of Edey games and honestly wasn’t paying close attention to how the ref’s were treating him.

That said, I missed most of what’s in the vid’s you posted above. You and Stevey make valid points. Good debate. I will have to pay close attention during the next Purdue game.
I gamble lol. I watch a lot.

The Gonzaga and Tennessee games were absolutely ruined by the whistle going to Edey. It's not even basketball. It's pretty apparent.

And it's not like I have a dog in the fight, but if you just search "Edey" on twitter the highlights will speak for themselves.

Far more conversation about the whistle he's getting than what a "great" player he is.
1 x

Give to Rhody's NIL
steveystuds06
Sly Williams

Rhody_NYCT wrote: 4 weeks ago I’m not saying Edey doesn’t get away with some no-calls or missed calls, but if I had the time, I could easily compile a bunch of missed calls from yesterday going the other way when he is involved in the play. Easily. That said, EVERY game has tons of missed calls. It’s just the way it is. Edey is not even an aggressive player. He’s just huge compared to almost everyone else in the college game. Tough luck.
Yup..Of course, you can.

Here are some fouls from one game.

https://www.hammerandrails.com/2023/2/1 ... reet-fight
0 x
ATTITUDE IS EVERYTHING
Rhody_NYCT
Jimmy Baron

Thank you Stevey!

And one more thing, there were some posts saying that the game was hard to watch because of the way Edey was being officiated. We are all entitled to our opinion, but to me that was one of the most entertaining and exciting games of the tournament. Classic March Madness game. I know I'm not alone there. Did not feel for one minute like it was hard to watch for any reason.
0 x
RI_Bred
Carlton Owens

Unread post by RI_Bred »

Rhode_Island_Red wrote: 4 weeks ago Does everyone here know you can quote somebody's post without repeating all 12 miles of tweets every time?????????
Amen
1 x
Mobley was fouled.