Rhody Rehab is Open

Talk about the men's team, upcoming opponents and news from around college hoop.
section(105)
Ernie Calverley

Rhody Rehab is Open

Unread post by section(105) »

Always open here. A place for those fans that need to vent, rant, and express any other thoughts people need to off their chest, both positive and negative. Especially where it doesn’t fit into any other topic. No fees, co-pays, no insurance needed, no scheduled meetings. Self check in and out. Support group for Rhody fans. I am sure this topic will will fade and come back again as demand. Hey, it’s better yelling out your home windows or at your significant other who has no feel for what bugs you. Welcome aboard. Rhody Rehab is open.

Upon more reflection, Rhody Rehab is open to all(faiths etc). As such this is a no judgement zone. Even for those that for whatever reasons have strayed away, you are welcome back Coach Keaney loves you! And during this Holy season, if you prefer you could start with “for give me Coach for I have sinned…….” especially for those that have sinned(examples, bet on URI in ATS).
Go Rhody
Last edited by section(105) 1 month ago, edited 1 time in total.
4 x
Ram logo via Grist 1938
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

Re: Rhody Rehab is Open

Unread post by rambone 78 »

Lol

Old men like us yelling at clouds.

Like this entire season!
0 x
Blue Man
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Blue Man »

I'm a mental wreck and in a place of paradox. I almost want a loss today. Like I don't, but I do. A loss will hurt, it will finalize the season, I will mourn.

However, if we do win, it will only prolong the pain/suffering.

There's this weird place where I almost think people would completely turn their opinion of the season being a "success" and "improvement" if we were to make it to the A10 semifinal - aka, beating St Louis, Duquesne, and Dayton. That actually terrifies me, because then I'll be bought back in, have total hope, and crush my soul and spirit. It won't happen. It never happens to URI, I'm pretty sure we're just cursed in all sports except for track. I wish I could care about track like I care about this.

But seriously. It's basketball. Weird shit like this happens all the time. Not to URI, but to all the other programs for some reason.

I've made my peace with this season. It's a rebuild, I'm holding out hope for a better year next year and a return to being a good program the year after. That's what I've convinced myself of.

But I am an eternal, painful, idiotic optimist. I could see us for some reason winning a couple of games. It makes no sense, but that's the beauty of college basketball.

Anyway doc, I'm not sure where I'm going with this rambling. I am not a smart person, but I do know what love is. So I hammered Rhody and will embrace the suffering that follows.
1 x
If you say you’re a Rhody fan, I know you are my brother. For you have suffered as I have suffered.

Give to the Athletic Director's Fund

Give to Rhody's NIL
section(105)
Ernie Calverley

See, feels better now. No?
3 x
Ram logo via Grist 1938
LoveThoseRams
Tom Garrick

Unread post by LoveThoseRams »

I am in Brooklyn and not in rehab.

Maybe my husband is an enabler, I can blame him.

I may need a rehab bed after the game tonight.
2 x
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

Unread post by NYGFan_Section208 »

Like Twitter, this is a great place to go if you need therapy, but don't really care about getting better :lol:
1 x
section(105)
Ernie Calverley

After yesterday’s loss, I had to check myself in. Well, here are the bottom of the A-10. Raise your hand if any of you thought this is where we would be. Waiting…….not seeing any hands up. So what can I do? I guess sit back take deep cleansing breaths to let these realities sink in. The coach isn’t going anywhere, the roster is far from settled, the uncertainty of the portal is a major factor, the current assembled talent is deficient to even be a mid level pack next year and the in coming players offer a gimme of hope. Spring is coming, 60/s temp tomorrow. Try a little golf tomorrow. Go Rhody
1 x
Ram logo via Grist 1938
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Jersey77 »

section(105) wrote: 1 month ago After yesterday’s loss, I had to check myself in. Well, here are the bottom of the A-10. Raise your hand if any of you thought this is where we would be. Waiting…….not seeing any hands up. So what can I do? I guess sit back take deep cleansing breaths to let these realities sink in. The coach isn’t going anywhere, the roster is far from settled, the uncertainty of the portal is a major factor, the current assembled talent is deficient to even be a mid level pack next year and the in coming players offer a gimme of hope. Spring is coming, 60/s temp tomorrow. Try a little golf tomorrow. Go Rhody
Yep, going to the gym today and golfing tomorrow.
1 x
rjsuperfly66
Carlton Owens

Unread post by rjsuperfly66 »

The good news for you, in the portal era, things can change quick if you land the right guys.

It's why you probably should be disappointed with the season but also hopeful that the next several weeks bring better days with it.
1 x
URIFIJI
Kenny Green

Unread post by URIFIJI »

I am glad this season is over. Been a season ticket holder for 30 years. This has been one of the worst to endure. Our coach on paper - is the one we want. The results he obtained - were not we we wanted. I just watched Pitono interview where he states the obvious right now in college hoops - no development is possible under current structure. He stated a few things that ring true. One - he might retain 3-4 players. All others will either come as incoming freshman or thru the portal. Two - at Iona he communicated that the entire league was poached of most of their good players in one season. Rhody is closer to Iona that to Uconn by miles. We have a nice arena...........a nice academic school...........lovely campus..........good conference. What gets us to 20 win seasons again???

This is the first season where i really didnt care if I attended a game or not. Pretty sad.............because most season I make my schedule around the Rhody schedule. Maybe I am getting old?? Hard to watch what our team brought to the court this year. BTW - I am not pointing the finger at any coach or any player. Just didnt feel or look good this year.

Hoping for better days ahead.

F Shitty Jim
3 x
KeaneyBluBallz
Art Stephenson

Unread post by KeaneyBluBallz »

we were a broken program prior to AM even being on the radar in Kingston, we are just as broken now (maybe more) since he's taken over.

I'm not putting the weight of it all on AM, however he was brought in to change the direction of the program but to date we're on the same trajectory prior to his arrival.
0 x
:lol:
Rhode_Island_Red
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Rhode_Island_Red »

Changing my avatar was therapeutic.
4 x
Proudly supplying the Internet with online wisecracks, impertinent comments and loathing of all things mental hospital since 1996.
section(105)
Ernie Calverley

KeaneyBluBallz wrote: 1 month ago we were a broken program prior to AM even being on the radar in Kingston, we are just as broken now (maybe more) since he's taken over.

I'm not putting the weight of it all on AM, however he was brought in to change the direction of the program but to date we're on the same trajectory prior to his arrival.
Yes, for me there is an emptiness hollow feeling just like two years ago. OK we filled the Coach void, but the empty feelings are the uncertainty of the roster, just nit bodies, but sped and talent to compete in the A-10. Go Rhody
0 x
Ram logo via Grist 1938
Blue Man
Tyson Wheeler

The nice thing is that we can all directly affect positive change by giving to NIL.

Recruiting has changed. You can get guys who want to play for you, but you need to be close to other financial offers. There's a market.

It's no different than any of us in our jobs - or any of us going to college.

Yes, there were places that you might have wanted to go - but financially it didn't make sense. How much financial aid are you getting? What's the loan look like? Yes, BU might be a great fit for you - but do you have $75k a year? Guess you'll settle for a state U.

Considering none of us were going to school with the ability to make the school money (I'm not sure if our NERFU conference title in rugby brought in any money to URI), basketball players have a market for their services.

There were players that Archie and staff wanted, that wanted to be here...but we couldn't make the money work. So the players we got were the ones we had budget for.

If we want to be a passive fanbase that just buys tickets and attends games? Sweet. Enjoy the lesser product.

If you were thinking of dropping your season tickets to wait and see? Cool. Instead of the $575 for your tickets, maybe make a $25 monthly donation to NIL to help get us better guys and you still save money.
2 x
If you say you’re a Rhody fan, I know you are my brother. For you have suffered as I have suffered.

Give to Rhody's NIL
rjsuperfly66
Carlton Owens

Unread post by rjsuperfly66 »

URIFIJI wrote: 1 month ago I am glad this season is over. Been a season ticket holder for 30 years. This has been one of the worst to endure. Our coach on paper - is the one we want. The results he obtained - were not we we wanted. I just watched Pitono interview where he states the obvious right now in college hoops - no development is possible under current structure. He stated a few things that ring true. One - he might retain 3-4 players. All others will either come as incoming freshman or thru the portal. Two - at Iona he communicated that the entire league was poached of most of their good players in one season. Rhody is closer to Iona that to Uconn by miles. We have a nice arena...........a nice academic school...........lovely campus..........good conference. What gets us to 20 win seasons again???

This is the first season where i really didnt care if I attended a game or not. Pretty sad.............because most season I make my schedule around the Rhody schedule. Maybe I am getting old?? Hard to watch what our team brought to the court this year. BTW - I am not pointing the finger at any coach or any player. Just didnt feel or look good this year.

Hoping for better days ahead.

F Shitty Jim
It's why it's incumbent on everyone to donate to NIL. A sad, frustrating reality but also the truth. We all have the chance to impact the types of players that will come in or stay. The better the NIL pool, the better the recruits. Programs will consistently struggle if they have to go bargain shopping. More common for fans to complain about quality of team because continuity will suffer at most places. But more than ever, we can control the ultimate fate of our programs by giving.
4 x
Blue Man
Tyson Wheeler

^ +1000

Again. If your best friend offers you a job - where the work is easy, it's close to home, all good things - but the salary is $60k and you have a job offer with a decent situation, maybe not as good as working with your buddy but plenty of perks, and the salary is $100k - which job are you taking?

Recruiting is no longer just "who do I like best, where am I most comfortable" - it's now a combination of that juxtaposed against the money.
1 x

Give to Rhody's NIL
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

Blue Man is 1000% right when he says that we could have gotten better talent but for the lack of money to give them.

It's an arms race, and right now URI is bringing a knife to a gun fight when it comes to recruiting higher level talent

I still believe Archie is a good enough coach to succeed here, but he needs the right players to do so.

Hopefully we will see some results for next season with transfers, and even better the following year.

Better results=more winning=more interest=more donations/revenue.

Is this realistic?

It HAS to be, or this program will be lost in the wilderness for a long time.
2 x
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

Arch is a grinder , he’s going to put his head down and go to work! Doesn’t look great now but don’t count him out just yet
1 x
Spook5365
Marc Upshaw

Unread post by Spook5365 »

The Fou is gone. I’m a bitter broken man.
0 x
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

When one of our better players is in such a hurry to announce his intention to leave, that's never a good sign.
0 x
KeaneyTheChemist
Abdul Fox

Unread post by KeaneyTheChemist »

Rhode_Island_Red wrote: 1 month ago Changing my avatar was therapeutic.
This is like the section of an arena where the fans sit with paper bags over their heads lol ...
0 x
Blue Man
Tyson Wheeler

rambone 78 wrote: 1 month ago When one of our better players is in such a hurry to announce his intention to leave, that's never a good sign.
I mean who’s shocked? For all we know he told Archie he was leaving 3 weeks ago. How would it look then if Archie was playing the guy who quit on the team?

For all his upside and talent, he certainly lacked some IQ, and based on what we saw on the court he almost willfully didn’t want to be coached and do his own thing.

This isn’t Dave Cox. You don’t get to do whatever you want. You saw where that gets you. And if you have a player who doesn’t want to get with the program you let them go and find someone who will.
0 x

Give to Rhody's NIL
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

No I'm not shocked, not at all, for the reasons Blue Man just mentioned.

It's just unfortunate. I hate it when guys dont work out here, and move on and flourish somewhere else.

Not saying Fou will, but some others have as we know.
1 x
Rhodymob05
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhodymob05 »

I don’t understand guys giving up as freshman. Browns gone after next season, it was wide open for Foumena.
1 x
GO RAMS
SmartyBarrett
Sly Williams

Unread post by SmartyBarrett »

Blue Man wrote: 1 month ago For all his upside and talent, he certainly lacked some IQ, and based on what we saw on the court he almost willfully didn’t want to be coached and do his own thing.

This isn’t Dave Cox. You don’t get to do whatever you want. You saw where that gets you. And if you have a player who doesn’t want to get with the program you let them go and find someone who will.
Yeah, I definitely got some Mitchell Twins vibes from Fou. Jacking up threes, trying to go coast-to-coast off a rebound...
2 x
RI_Bred
Carlton Owens

Unread post by RI_Bred »

Fou leaving just hurts a little more because how many legit 6'11" guys with some decent athleticism do we get around here? They don't grow on trees.
1 x
Mobley was fouled.
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

SmartyBarrett wrote: 1 month ago
Blue Man wrote: 1 month ago For all his upside and talent, he certainly lacked some IQ, and based on what we saw on the court he almost willfully didn’t want to be coached and do his own thing.

Yeah, I definitely got some Mitchell Twins vibes from Fou. Jacking up threes, trying to go coast-to-coast off a rebound...
Difference being Cox allowed jacking up the 3’s. Miss stopped the 3’s from Day 1, plus Muss played the better twin and he separated them as Makhel transferred to Arkansas Little Rock
Miller rated his defense F- and he made adjustments to improve that defense. Besides telling it like it was with defense and letting the team and public know his feelings Miller moved Weston to the starting line up, played Brown more and adjusted minutes played with others. Foumena list his man many times on defense which most likely led to his reduced playing time than anything else.

The team played better defense the last few games.

I observed Miller talking 1-1 with multiple players after having removed them from games. No player was excluded from conversations.
2 x
Blue Man
Tyson Wheeler

RI_Bred wrote: 1 month ago Fou leaving just hurts a little more because how many legit 6'11" guys with some decent athleticism do we get around here? They don't grow on trees.
Yeah but same thing with Jordan Hare. I don't remember all this bellyaching when Dan told him to GTFO before the first game of year 2.

Sponge Holton was stealing laptops and was a general garbage human being.

And again, with money all things are possible. https://rhodyexcellence.com/join/. You can find big guys who aren't uncoachable and aren't scumbags (Hare/Holton being scumbags, I don't think Fou is a scumbag, just uncoachable, to be clear).
0 x

Give to Rhody's NIL
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

I think we need our NIL fund to be a million or more, if we really want to be good.

An unfortunate necessity.
0 x
Rhody15
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Rhody15 »

rambone 78 wrote: 1 month ago I think we need our NIL fund to be a million or more, if we really want to be good.

An unfortunate necessity.
Some P5 programs don’t have a million or more.

We don’t need that much.
Last edited by Rhody15 1 month ago, edited 1 time in total.
0 x
Go Rhody
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

rambone 78 wrote: 1 month ago Blue Man is 1000% right when he says that we could have gotten better talent but for the lack of money to give them.

It's an arms race, and right now URI is bringing a knife to a gun fight when it comes to recruiting higher level talent

I still believe Archie is a good enough coach to succeed here, but he needs the right players to do so.

Hopefully we will see some results for next season with transfers, and even better the following year.

Is this realistic?

I'm confused....I thought the NCAA Clown Posse outlawed the idea of NIL being used as an inducement for choosing where to go...?
0 x
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

rambone 78 wrote: 1 month ago When one of our better players is in such a hurry to announce his intention to leave, that's never a good sign.
I question "one of our better players"...
4 x
Rhody Guy
Art Stephenson

Unread post by Rhody Guy »

I don't understand the hate on Fou. He made some bad decisions at times, but he was a net plus all see by the eye test. He played with energy, rebounded well, had a decent touch in the paint, and wasn't cringeworthy when he took an open 3. Maybe he tried to go coast to coast because Arch was screaming to push the tempo and our guards refused and looked like they were sleeping idk. I'll eat crow if he doesn't blow up somewhere, but I think you will all have egg on your face with this one. Fou is not the twins.
3 x
PeterRamTime
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by PeterRamTime »

Rhody Guy wrote: 1 month ago I don't understand the hate on Fou. He made some bad decisions at times, but he was a net plus all see by the eye test. He played with energy, rebounded well, had a decent touch in the paint, and wasn't cringeworthy when he took an open 3. Maybe he tried to go coast to coast because Arch was screaming to push the tempo and our guards refused and looked like they were sleeping idk. I'll eat crow if he doesn't blow up somewhere, but I think you will all have egg on your face with this one. Fou is not the twins.
Yeah im fully expecting him to go somewhere else, play big minutes and be a really good player somewhere.
1 x
theblueram
Frank Keaney

Unread post by theblueram »

NYGFan_Section208 wrote: 1 month ago
rambone 78 wrote: 1 month ago Blue Man is 1000% right when he says that we could have gotten better talent but for the lack of money to give them.

Is this realistic?

I'm confused....I thought the NCAA Clown Posse outlawed the idea of NIL being used as an inducement for choosing where to go...?
I believe a judge knocked that down. Its the wild, wild west now.
0 x
steveystuds06
Sly Williams

Unread post by steveystuds06 »

Is this realistic?

We can all help with that! Everyone donate!!!
2 x
ATTITUDE IS EVERYTHING
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by Billyboy78 »

Blue Man wrote: 1 month ago
RI_Bred wrote: 1 month ago Fou leaving just hurts a little more because how many legit 6'11" guys with some decent athleticism do we get around here? They don't grow on trees.
Yeah but same thing with Jordan Hare. I don't remember all this bellyaching when Dan told him to GTFO before the first game of year 2.

Sponge Holton was stealing laptops and was a general garbage human being.

And again, with money all things are possible. https://rhodyexcellence.com/join/. You can find big guys who aren't uncoachable and aren't scumbags (Hare/Holton being scumbags, I don't think Fou is a scumbag, just uncoachable, to be clear).
Hare just didn't like playing basketball.
0 x
section(105)
Ernie Calverley

As an out patient now, all these portal moves, are troubling for me. I knew there would be some movement out. If the Weston move is partially due his end of season conference with Coach Miller, that is what troubles me.
0 x
Ram logo via Grist 1938
theblueram
Frank Keaney

section(105) wrote: 1 month ago As an out patient now, all these portal moves, are troubling for me. I knew there would be some movement out. If the Weston move is partially due his end of season conference with Coach Miller, that is what troubles me.
Weston leaving is really not a shock to the team. We lose about 5 pts a game. Not a big hill to climb.
1 x
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

theblueram wrote: 1 month ago
section(105) wrote: 1 month ago As an out patient now, all these portal moves, are troubling for me. I knew there would be some movement out. If the Weston move is partially due his end of season conference with Coach Miller, that is what troubles me.
Weston leaving is really not a shock to the team. We lose about 5 pts a game. Not a big hill to climb.
And about the only guy who played defense.
2 x
theblueram
Frank Keaney

Billyboy78 wrote: 1 month ago
Next year should be fun :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
0 x
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Yeah. 10, 11, 12 new guys that I will have no connection with. This sucks. The sport is being ruined.
1 x
jcru
Sly Williams

Unread post by jcru »

I guess some of these guys didn't want to stick around to learn the packline defense in depth
0 x
ElmCityRhody
Sly Williams

Unread post by ElmCityRhody »

honestly who needs this shit.. every year you root for players that leave..

at what point do we have better things to do with our time

pains me to say this..

just down on this entire portal thing

give me back the good ole days where we can watch a player like dubs or whomever develop into something and being proud of that player

this is a joke

ruined college sports forever
5 x
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

If Hammond leaves we will back to square one.

Who the fuck will want to come here?

If KJ does leave hopefully he convinces Hammond and Farrell to stay.

At least for a year anyway.

Let's face it, this program has become a train wreck on top of a dumpster fire

Would money even fix this? Getting an entirely new team for next season could happen.

Can't wait. NOT.
0 x
theblueram
Frank Keaney

ElmCityRhody wrote: 1 month ago

pains me to say this..

give me back the good ole days where we can watch a player like dubs or whomever develop into something and being proud of that player

this is a joke

I didn't know the players until really around conference play. Now they are gone lol. Fun times.
0 x
RamStock
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by RamStock »

ElmCityRhody wrote: 1 month ago

pains me to say this..

this is a joke

100% agree with this. It is to the point that who really cares. If we do hit on a couple players they most likely will leave anyway
1 x
Rhody15
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Rhody15 »

rambone 78 wrote: 1 month ago If Hammond leaves we will back to square one.

Who the fuck will want to come here?

If KJ does leave hopefully he convinces Hammond and Farrell to stay.

At least for a year anyway.

Let's face it, this program has become a train wreck on top of a dumpster fire

Would money even fix this? Getting an entirely new team for next season could happen.

Can't wait. NOT.
Why would KJ tell his recruits “I know I’m leaving to a better program but you guys should definitely stay at this middling A10 school.”

That’s not happening.
0 x
Go Rhody
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

Archie might need a shrink.

Actually I think all of us on this board might need one.
0 x
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

Middling A10 school?

How are we even that?
0 x