3/12 | Saint Louis | 4:30PM (ESPN+) | A-10 1st Round

Talk about the men's team, upcoming opponents and news from around college hoop.
Shinze88
Art Stephenson

Re: 3/12 | Saint Louis | 4:30PM (ESPN+) | A-10 1st Round

Unread post by Shinze88 »

I was ready to go into the offseason with a good feeling that Archie was the guy to turn this around. Today completely changed that for me, its beyond inexcusable how he managed to keep Zek in this game, its baffling and has to raise legit concerns about his ability to coach. Not good.
1 x
giovanni
Carlton Owens

Unread post by giovanni »

Not too mention I went to the prep tournament at RIC a month ago, and the national prep tournament at Clark in Worcester last week. I talked to several prep coaches NO ONE knows URI or Austin Carroll. The best comment I got is that , the guy Carroll , is he the guy that wears URI sweatshirt that is known for letting his young son run all over
the court?

This program is a total joke. Those same prep school coaches I talked with spoke of schools like Siena, Rider, Brown , Indiana St, Niagara and UMass Lowell having a presence. They say they don't know anyone from URI

New England has one Of the most counted play a pool's in the country and they don't know who we are.

Let that sink in
0 x
steveystuds06
Sly Williams

Unread post by steveystuds06 »

DeanDome88 wrote: 1 month ago
steveystuds06 wrote: 1 month ago
DeanDome88 wrote: 1 month ago Estevez still looks like a freshman. I was hoping he would finish the year strong.
Did you not watch the first half? He led the team in scoring... Archie then barely played him in the second. He looks much better on the defensive end than earlier in the year. He'll be a better player next year.
What are you morphing into Rhody15? I do not need your snark. Feel free to disagree but I am obviously watching the game.
Because I asked a question? I was seriously asking if you watched the first half because he played well. Are you saying he didn't play well in the first half? He led the team in scoring. He played tight aggressive D. He had our only steal of the half. He didn't do a thing in the second half but I think a big part of that was Archie's bad rotations..
0 x
ATTITUDE IS EVERYTHING
section(105)
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by section(105) »

Memo to Archie, Rhody Rehab is open, 1-800-Go Rhody
0 x
Ram logo via Grist 1938
steveystuds06
Sly Williams

I love how Zek can make one mistake after another today and play an absolutely terrible game, but Fou would get pulled all year if he made one dumb freshman mistake. Like I said earlier we should even talk about him as if he's on the team anymore. No chance he stays.. Archie has been a total letdown. There are no more excuses for him or this staff.
Last edited by steveystuds06 1 month ago, edited 1 time in total.
0 x
ATTITUDE IS EVERYTHING
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by Billyboy78 »

NYGFan_Section208 wrote: 1 month ago A lonely nation turns its eyes to...the portal...
We gettin' Joe DiMaggio?
0 x
BobfromMatunuck
Michael Andersen

Unread post by BobfromMatunuck »

That final play is the start of the 2025 A10 championship DVD.

We’re on to the portal!!
0 x
ElmCityRhody
Sly Williams

Unread post by ElmCityRhody »

Good riddance to most of these players

I am talking even to you starters

Bye !

👋🏻
1 x
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by rambone 78 »

If the coach can't coach, who cares about the portal?

Hammond will be here one year only if this shit keeps happening.
0 x
RI_Bred
Carlton Owens

Unread post by RI_Bred »

giovanni wrote: 1 month ago Not too mention I went to the prep tournament at RIC a month ago, and the national prep tournament at Clark in Worcester last week. I talked to several prep coaches NO ONE knows URI or Austin Carroll. The best comment I got is that , the guy Carroll , is he the guy that wears URI sweatshirt that is known for letting his young son run all over
the court?

This program is a total joke. Those same prep school coaches I talked with spoke of schools like Siena, Rider, Brown , Indiana St, Niagara and UMass Lowell having a presence. They say they don't know anyone from URI

New England has one Of the most counted play a pool's in the country and they don't know who we are.

Let that sink in
Having no reason not to believe you, that is very concerning.
0 x
Mobley was fouled.
section(105)
Ernie Calverley

giovanni wrote: 1 month ago Not too mention I went to the prep tournament at RIC a month ago, and the national prep tournament at Clark in Worcester last week. I talked to several prep coaches NO ONE knows URI or Austin Carroll. The best comment I got is that , the guy Carroll , is he the guy that wears URI sweatshirt that is known for letting his young son run all over
the court?

Let that sink in
I used to love going that, or something like that Keaney, then it was banned from URI campus site. Not surprised to hear those responses. Ouch.
0 x
Ram logo via Grist 1938
RhodyFanNotAlum
Kenny Green

Unread post by RhodyFanNotAlum »

Zero optimism for next year. The only thing separating Archie from Cox is his smarter usage of timeouts. Other than that, after two seasons, they’re virtually indistinguishable in terms of recruiting, being able to coach players up, and effort on the court. One more year, and unless we see demonstrable progress, I’m ready to move on.
0 x
Not Mike Powell
Kenny Green

Unread post by Not Mike Powell »

DeanDome88 wrote: 1 month ago Estevez still looks like a freshman. I was hoping he would finish the year strong.
Did you not watch the first half? He led the team in scoring... Archie then barely played him in the second. He looks much better on the defensive end than earlier in the year. He'll be a better player next year. Archie was bad yet again in this game. Outcoached by a coach who's going to get fired. Terrible season yet again.
He should transfer
0 x
RF1
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by RF1 »

It is finally mercifully over. The last two seasons have been near the worst such span in the 46 years I have been following URI hoops. My interest level has accordingly cratered. I do not even have much hope for the near future as there was little improvement this season and there does not appear to all that much here to build upon. With the pitiful state of the program along with all the changes in college basketball which I feel are ruining the game, I question whether I will ever again have the same passion and interest in URI basketball that I once did.
Last edited by RF1 1 month ago, edited 1 time in total.
4 x
Rhodyg
Steve Chubin

Unread post by Rhodyg »

reef wrote: 1 month ago I don’t get why anyone wouldn’t want DG back , he’s fantastic
Yes but does he want us back, that is the question
0 x
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

Arch needs to do a much better job in the portal for us to get back in the top half of the league

Keep 4-6 guys bring in the 2 frosh and 2-3 good portal guys and hope it’s good enough

Another sub .500 year will be a crusher !
1 x
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

RF1 wrote: 1 month ago It is finally mercifully over. The last two seasons have been near the worst such span in the 46 years I have been following URI hoops. My interest level has accordingly cratered. I do not even have much hope for the near future as there was little improvement this season and there does not appear to all that much here to build upon. With the pitiful state of the program along with all the changes in college basketball which I feel are ruining the game, I question whether I will ever again have the same passion and interest in URI basketball.
With the rosters changing every year like they have, it's impossible to have the same passion and interest. NIL and the unlimited amount of transfers a player now has is great for the players, but has ruined the game for the fans. Kids that played here for 4 years (like all of the great players of the past...well, except Lamar) loved the school like we did. You think these guys who are here for a year or 2 and can't wait to get out give a shit about URI? I don't think any of them do, therefore, I don't really care what any of them do either.
3 x
DeanDome88
Tom Garrick

Unread post by DeanDome88 »

Did you not watch the first half? He led the team in scoring... Archie then barely played him in the second. He looks much better on the defensive end than earlier in the year. He'll be a better player next year.
What are you morphing into Rhody15? I do not need your snark. Feel free to disagree but I am obviously watching the game.
Because I asked a question? I was seriously asking if you watched the first half because he played well. Are you saying he didn't play well in the first half? He led the team in scoring. He played tight aggressive D. He had our only steal of the half. He didn't do a thing in the second half but I think a big part of that was Archie's bad rotations..
I was referring to the arc of his season. It is usually a very encouraging sign to see a freshman finish his season strong. I could not wait for Martin to come back for his sophomore season. Cam's best games were not near the end of the season. It was not a good sign he gets the ball on the wing on the fast break in crunch time and does not even get a shot up after dribbling into the paint. That was equally as bad as Zek Montgomery getting a pass right near the rim and not being ready to dunk it.
0 x
RF1
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by RF1 »

Good news is that with just one day at the tournament, URI spent the bare minimum possible. Better to put the money into the future rather than waste it on this edition of Rams.
0 x
RF1
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by RF1 »

Very deservedly clinched the absolute worst NET rank in the A-10 for this season.
0 x
CamsRams
Tom Garrick

Unread post by CamsRams »

0 x
rhodylaw
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by rhodylaw »

RhodyFanNotAlum wrote: 1 month ago Zero optimism for next year. The only thing separating Archie from Cox is his smarter usage of timeouts. Other than that, after two seasons, they’re virtually indistinguishable in terms of recruiting, being able to coach players up, and effort on the court. One more year, and unless we see demonstrable progress, I’m ready to move on.
Difference is Cox started with Dowtin and Fatts. Archie started with zero good players.

Archie needs to find some talent. He has found some role players, no studs yet. Couple of these guys had potential but have not hit.
0 x
Dino611
Tom Garrick

Unread post by Dino611 »

giovanni wrote: 1 month ago St Louis is very possibly the least talented, worst coached D 1 team ive seen. But then there is URI.

I am a big Archie fan, or was, but I'd rather see Cox back. If I want to see a team That has less fundamentals than a CYO.Teand less heart, at least with David Cox you could see that , but with more talent.
Can I please whatever alcohol/drugs you are on because with Cox you saw how bad of a coach he was with better talent than what Archie has.

Imho this offseason (especially for bigs, I respect he went after big players (Battle, Minor) but there was 0% we were getting them, he needs to go after the players who want to come here)
1 x
RI_Bred
Carlton Owens

Unread post by RI_Bred »

Dino611 wrote: 1 month ago he needs to go after the players who want to come here
Really starting to wonder what players, and of what quality, want to come to URI.
1 x
Mobley was fouled.
section(105)
Ernie Calverley

Archie comments, more of the same. Tired hearing “it’s on me, I take full responsibility……”. No shit coach, the words starting to ring hollow to me.
0 x
Ram logo via Grist 1938
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

Good coaches almost always show improvements in results their second season at a new program.

Players develop and get better.

None of that applies here.

The ones on this board who preach patience might be changing their tune by next season.

A much larger NIL fund looks like it's the only chance for Archie to save his job by year 4. If he makes it that long.

It's getting much harder to maintain hope.
0 x
steveystuds06
Sly Williams

I was referring to the arc of his season. It is usually a very encouraging sign to see a freshman finish his season strong. I could not wait for Martin to come back for his sophomore season. Cam's best games were not near the end of the season. It was not a good sign he gets the ball on the wing on the fast break in crunch time and does not even get a shot up after dribbling into the paint. That was equally as bad as Zek Montgomery getting a pass right near the rim and not being ready to dunk it.
He hit a wall on offense, but he was terrible on the defensive end earlier in the year, and I think he looked much better in the last month of the season. He played pretty well against Fordham and had a great start today, but our head coach decided to keep him on the bench in the second half.

Cam will average around 7 PPG on the season while shooting 42% from 3 and is one of our best free-throw shooters. Guys like Ish and Tyrese put up similar numbers during their freshman year. He should make a jump next year unless Archie wants to play Zek over him or something stupid like that. At this point, with how many mistakes Archie makes, I have no idea what's going to happen. All I know is it's the biggest offseason of his career.
0 x
ATTITUDE IS EVERYTHING
hrstrat57
Sly Williams

Unread post by hrstrat57 »

So y’all just satisfied rolling this train wreck down the tracks again?

Yeah I dunno about that. Wonder what our biggest boosters in the room think?

Off season mercifully came quick.

We’ll see.
1 x
We're gonna run the picket fence at "em.....now boys don't get caught watchin' the paint dry!
rhodylaw
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by rhodylaw »

Also - anyone who wants to come back to this team needs to put up 1000 FTs a day. I’m tired of watching missed FTs. Missed FTs has put us in holes and destroyed rallies all year. Ranking in 300s for team percentage is awful.
4 x
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

Archie is right when he says he's responsible.

Because he's the one who might be looking for a new job before long.

Some of his coaching decisions are only making things worse, if they weren't bad enough.
1 x
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

Unread post by NYGFan_Section208 »

Not Mike Powell wrote: 1 month ago
Did you not watch the first half? He led the team in scoring... Archie then barely played him in the second. He looks much better on the defensive end than earlier in the year. He'll be a better player next year. Archie was bad yet again in this game. Outcoached by a coach who's going to get fired. Terrible season yet again.
He should transfer
Arch?
0 x
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

Unread post by RhowdyRam02 »

Rhody15 wrote: 1 month ago
Rhodymob05 wrote: 1 month ago I’d try Foumena, and hopefully Green doesn’t foul so Zek can play less. Loving Cam today.
I honestly wouldn’t be shocked if Foumena has told Archie he just won’t play.
If that happened why would Archie bring him to Brooklyn? He'd just leave him back in Kingston and tell him to get his transfer paperwork in order
0 x
Take down the Robert Carothers banner and fix the concession stand lines
PeterRamTime
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by PeterRamTime »

giovanni wrote: 1 month ago St Louis is very possibly the least talented, worst coached D 1 team ive seen. But then there is URI.

I am a big Archie fan, or was, but I'd rather see Cox back. If I want to see a team That has less fundamentals than a CYO.Teand less heart, at least with David Cox you could see that , but with more talent.
SLU is the least talented worst coached D1 team you have seen?
1 x
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

At least I look forward to watching the tourney next week. After that, going to take another long break from this disgrace of a program.

I will say though, I will watch to see who stays and who leaves. Other than that, that's it.
0 x
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

Someone frame this...
0 x
Not Mike Powell
Kenny Green

Unread post by Not Mike Powell »

Archie’s press conferences remind me of Joe Judge with the New York Giants. All talk. No substance.
2 x
RIFan
Carlton Owens

Unread post by RIFan »

I was as excited as anyone when we hired grumpy, but I don’t care anymore what he says and how he seems to understand what is wrong. I only care that he fixes it….that is literally all that matters. And I don’t know if he even has a plan, since he couldn’t even give us a rough timeline, all he gave us is his famous “We’ll be good when we are good.” line. I don’t care if he has to donate most of his salary to NIL to fix it. In fact, that might make me happy.

Most of these players need to be fired/released. They are professionals now after all.
2 x
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

I'm sure at least a few will stay.

The worry is, some might stay who need to go, and some will go who we might want to keep.
Last edited by rambone 78 1 month ago, edited 1 time in total.
0 x
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

Not Mike Powell wrote: 1 month ago Archie’s press conferences remind me of Joe Judge with the New York Giants. All talk. No substance.
Please....please...don't say that name as a comparison. I always said they would have been better off hiring Mike Judge
0 x
theblueram
Frank Keaney

Unread post by theblueram »

RIFan wrote: 1 month ago I was as excited as anyone when we hired grumpy, but I don’t care anymore what he says and how he seems to understand what is wrong. I only care that he fixes it….that is literally all that matters. And I don’t know if he even has a plan, since he couldn’t even give us a rough timeline, all he gave us is his famous “We’ll be good when we are good.” line. I don’t care if he has to donate most of his salary to NIL to fix it. In fact, that might make me happy.

Most of these players need to be fired/released. They are professionals now after all.
Well said. In year 3 he has two recruits coming in. Hammond and Farrell. Are these cornerstone players? Based on rankings, I'm not so sure. We hired Miller to bring in top recruits and players. He hasn't delivered so far. And his assistants, who are being paid the most ever in URI history? WTH are they doing?
0 x
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

ROI in Millers first 2 years here=0.

Loss of revenue=substantial and about to get worse.

The bean counters can't be happy.
0 x
section(105)
Ernie Calverley

theblueram wrote: 1 month ago
RIFan wrote: 1 month ago I was as excited as anyone when we hired grumpy, but I don’t care anymore what he says and how he seems to understand what is wrong. I only care that he fixes it….that is literally all that matters. And I don’t know if he even has a plan, since he couldn’t even give us a rough timeline, all he gave us is his famous “We’ll be good when we are good.” line. I don’t care if he has to donate most of his salary to NIL to fix it. In fact, that might make me happy.

Well said. In year 3 he has two recruits coming in. Hammond and Farrell. Are these cornerstone players? Based on rankings, I'm not so sure. We hired Miller to bring in top recruits and players. He hasn't delivered so far. And his assistants, who are being paid the most ever in URI history? WTH are they doing?
Honestly, one would have to think Hammond would rethink his commitment. His handlers have to think and say, is this what you want? Unless he is a real pioneer going into the Kingston wilderness. Please spare the fan talk here be a factor if he decides to go elsewhere.
0 x
Ram logo via Grist 1938
Blue Man
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Blue Man »

SandorClegane wrote: 1 month ago
Blue Man wrote: 1 month ago While encouraged by the effort, Zek single-handedly lost this game.

Why he is in and Weston is out is beyond me.

Everyone needs to figure it the fuck out this off season.

Archie included.

Fucking trash.
Spot on. Archie sucked today. Absolutely awful.
I won’t say he sucked, out of the half these guys came out and played. They erased a double digit lead and had a lead themselves.

Young team struggled to seize the moment, missed FTs and had lapses down the stretch. If this same team is on the floor next year they win that game as is. Experience matters.

That said we load up a PG which was so apparently lacking this game. The inability to push the pace, poor IQ, poor understanding up situations and matchups, dumb entry passes trying to go over a zone instead of into it.

Yes, I have questions about Zek’s leash and the lack of Estevez/Weston down the stretch. But a coach can’t play the game. We have the coach. He didn’t forget that part of it. The players take time - not just to get here but to develop.

For all the bellyaching about the portal and talent, you can’t import a full roster. You need a core to be accented with talent.

I have faith.

But I am sad.
1 x
If you say you’re a Rhody fan, I know you are my brother. For you have suffered as I have suffered.

Give to the Athletic Director's Fund

Give to Rhody's NIL
steveystuds06
Sly Williams

Cyril was ranked 328 in the country, Jeff Dowtin 273, Fatts 187, Jermaine Harris 75, Alex Tchikou 80, and Weston 105. Hammond is typically rated as a three-star recruit on most platforms, with four stars on one. He usually falls in the range of 170-220 in rankings.

The three lowest-ranked players on that list turned out to be cornerstone players. I'm not concerned about rankings; rather, I'm worried about Archie's ability to identify and land cornerstone players. Now, Hammond has become one of the hottest names in the country with his recent performance, so I believe he will likely be Archie's first cornerstone recruit. If he isn't.. I give up..
1 x
ATTITUDE IS EVERYTHING
Blue Man
Tyson Wheeler

section(105) wrote: 1 month ago

Honestly, one would have to think Hammond would rethink his commitment. His handlers have to think and say, is this what you want? Unless he is a real pioneer going into the Kingston wilderness. Please spare the fan talk here be a factor if he decides to go elsewhere.
I mean if that were the case than why did EC come here? Dan was an aspiring coach who’s best collegiate accolade was a mid major finals loss.

Some kids want to be the cornerstone and become a legend. Those are the kids you want.
0 x
If you say you’re a Rhody fan, I know you are my brother. For you have suffered as I have suffered.

Give to Rhody's NIL
Blue Man
Tyson Wheeler

You know I agree about the Zek piece, but I won’t say he got outcoached. The gameplan change to go to the rim and play in transition was apparent and worked.

The defensive changes to extend the packline to the 3 point line stymied their offense.

We outscored them significantly and stopped their offense in the 2nd. If house hits those 2 FTs we win the game with or without zek’s lapses.

I still believe. Love and trust.
0 x

Give to Rhody's NIL
steveystuds06
Sly Williams

He's been a very popular name for a while. If he was going to back out, I feel like that would have already happened. But of course, you never know. KJ has done a great job promoting Hammond all year on social media, and my guess is he and Archie talk to him daily. If Hammond doesn't come, that may break me. He Cam Fuchs are the only thing that kinda gives me hope.
2 x
ATTITUDE IS EVERYTHING
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

And I'm sure there are plenty of schools who would want him now, after making 1st team all WCAC along with his 5 star teammate at Paul VI and ahead of his two 4 star teammates. Oh, and those tourney MVPs.
0 x
Rhodymob05
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhodymob05 »

Some guys want a current successful program, others want to be the reason for the success. Think EC Matthews.
0 x
GO RAMS
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Blue Man wrote: 1 month ago

I mean if that were the case than why did EC come here? Dan was an aspiring coach who’s best collegiate accolade was a mid major finals loss.

Some kids want to be the cornerstone and become a legend. Those are the kids you want.
$$$$$$
0 x