3/9 | Fordham | 1:00PM (ESPN+)

Talk about the men's team, upcoming opponents and news from around college hoop.
adam914
Ernie Calverley

Re: 3/9 | Fordham | 1:00PM (ESPN+)

Unread post by adam914 »

Obviously it wasn't pretty, but any win for this team right now is a good win. I'll take it.
3 x
RhodyKyle
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by RhodyKyle »

adam914 wrote: 1 month ago Obviously it wasn't pretty, but any win for this team right now is a good win. I'll take it.
Yup! Nobody should be looking for style points...just be happy with the W
2 x
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

Rhody wins we win 58-50

Should have won by about 15 but we will take it

FU shot 27 % 17-63

We never trailed !

Tyson 12 and 11 !
2 x
jcru
Sly Williams

Unread post by jcru »

Who would have predicted that URI and Fordham would end up with identical records to end the season?
0 x
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

Davidson up 10 loses by 18 @ Joes

So it looks like a 3 way tie @ 6-12 for spots 10-12 with LaSalle URI and Fordham assuming LaSalle loses @ Loyola

What seed does URI get in that scenario?
0 x
steveystuds06
Sly Williams

Unread post by steveystuds06 »

It's rare to see teams I love win. First, the Lakers beat the Bucks, and now Rhody wins. The icing on the cake would be Dan breaking the hearts of all the annoying PC fans.

As others have said. I'll take any win in any fashion. Great first half. Sloppy second half but that can happen on the road. Please just win at least one A10 tournament game. Give us fans a little bit of excitement after all the misery these last few seasons.
1 x
ATTITUDE IS EVERYTHING
PeterRamTime
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by PeterRamTime »

Way to go out there and fight Rhody!
0 x
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

Agree a win today and 1 or 2 in Brooklyn will ease the pain a bit for the long offseason
0 x
Rhodymob05
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhodymob05 »

It’s a Win, thankfully. Defense has been much better l, but offense stinks again. Still many changes needed. Brooklyn is a little more fun now though. Go Rhody
0 x
GO RAMS
rhodyrudder
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by rhodyrudder »

reef wrote: 1 month ago Davidson up 10 loses by 18 @ Joes

So it looks like a 3 way tie @ 6-12 for spots 10-12 with LaSalle URI and Fordham assuming LaSalle loses @ Loyola

What seed does URI get in that scenario?
Lasalle was 3-0
FU 1-2
Rhody 1-3

We should be the 12 seed unless I misunderstood of miscalculated
0 x
RhodyKyle
Cuttino Mobley

reef wrote: 1 month ago Agree a win today and 1 or 2 in Brooklyn will ease the pain a bit for the long offseason
Just want 1 win in BK so the season isn't a total toilet flush. Would love 2 but not expecting it.
1 x
steveystuds06
Sly Williams

Ya, I think we are the 12 seed. If we win we would likey play VCU I believe. Who murdered us, but they are fantastic at home. Anything can happen in one game..
0 x
ATTITUDE IS EVERYTHING
RhodyKyle
Cuttino Mobley

steveystuds06 wrote: 1 month ago Ya, I think we are the 12 seed. If we win we would likey play VCU I believe. Who murdered us, but they are fantastic at home. Anything can happen in one game..
Nah...it'd be hangover and hangover 2...same exact story different location
0 x
Rhodymob05
Tyson Wheeler

11 seed

0 x
GO RAMS
Rhody Sody
Lamar Odom

Unread post by Rhody Sody »

Rhodymob05 wrote: 1 month ago Putting Dubsky in is cute but he’s not an A10 player.
He was trying to play tough D. Hands up and hustling through screens. I’ll give credit where credit is due. He’s hustling when he is in and no issues with attitude. Give him time.
0 x
Rhody Sody
Lamar Odom

Unread post by Rhody Sody »

Rhody15 wrote: 1 month ago
RhodyKyle wrote: 1 month ago
Blue Man wrote: 1 month ago I know we don’t want to offend people’s delicate sensitivities with the refs - but holy shit this is garbage.
Yup! Is that watchdog group who flagged temple for point shaving also monitoring refs? Some of these calls are bizarre. Like the one ref who called I think Fuchs with a foul from like 40ft away when the closest ref didn't see a thing.
We are winning, Fordham has more fouls than us, yet still people bitching about the refs.
We shouldn’t complain about anything right now. They played hard and got the win. Especially with the back half of our season. Solid effort today, still PLENTY of holes but nothing to complain about today.
1 x
rhodyrudder
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by rhodyrudder »

If lasalle beats loyola we would beat FU in a 2-team tiebreak, cuz we beat umaass

But if it’s 3-teams tied, i think we’re last

Edit: game notes say if lasalle loses we get the 11 seed
IMG_1836.jpeg
0 x
McRam
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by McRam »

RhodyKyle wrote: 1 month ago
Blue Man wrote: 1 month ago So much talent on this team when they decide they give a shit.

Maybe they respond to the public call outs.
This is why it’s so infuriating watching them lose. They clearly are a top half A10 team but they just seem to just not give a single fuck. Like they're playing pick-up games in Mackal.
Fordham absolutely stinks. Can’t use this game to say how talented we are. This game is not a barometer for anything.

Fordham’s starters have combined for ONE point.

Clearly a top half A10 team? Please.
Fordham shot 27% today. Always hard to say if it was our defense or their offense?.. Bur, they usually play very well at Rose aHill as the season wore on. Remember they were just one shot from beating UMass last week.
0 x
McRam
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by McRam »

NYGFan_Section208 wrote: 1 month ago
McRam wrote: 1 month ago

Yup lol I said that few months ago in a thread.

Hilariously half assed.
Yes, Thorr , details matter. !! Another screw up today, on gorhody, we apparently play Fordham Wed, March 9. Do we have a marketing department for athletics? Who is it?
Sorry about that...I fixed it, thanks for the heads up.
Sorry Giant fan.I obviously don’t know who does what that are members of this board. In any event, thanks
0 x
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by rambone 78 »

They played like they cared today.

Yay.

If they had played with this effort all season, maybe a .500 record?

That would be enough improvement to think that maybe things wouldn't look so bad after all.

Yes, there is some talent here.

But a lot more is needed.
1 x
Iggy1979
Sly Williams

Unread post by Iggy1979 »

Got a glimpse of next year's roster: the 9 who played, 2 freshmen, two transfers.
1 x
"Every season, college basketball has one or two teams that rise from dormancy to relevancy, squads that make long-awaited charges at the NCAA Tournament and become really fun storylines along the way."
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by Billyboy78 »

Iggy1979 wrote: 1 month ago Got a glimpse of next year's roster: the 9 who played, 2 freshmen, two transfers.
10 played, But I assume you're not counting Foumena's 1 minute.
0 x
BattleTested
Abdul Fox

Unread post by BattleTested »

rhodyrudder wrote: 1 month ago If lasalle beats loyola we would beat FU in a 2-team tiebreak, cuz we beat umaass

But if it’s 3-teams tied, i think we’re last

Edit: game notes say if lasalle loses we get the 11 seed

IMG_1836.jpeg
If La Salle loses to Loyola, we’ll be the 11th seed since Davidson lost to SJU.
0 x
luke
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by luke »

To correct the above seeding statements : First of all Lasalle is not 3-0 Lasalle lost to URI . Lasalle split with URI and beat Fordham so Lasalle is 2-1
Uri is 2-2 having split with both Lasalle and Fordham Fordham is 1-2 . Lasalle wins the 10 seed . Now we are back to URI vs Fordham with identical
records . Neither team beat any of the first 3 teams so we go to UMASS . Fordham lost to UMASS and URI beat UMASS so I believe URI is the 11 seed .
The only thing confusing to me is what the tie breaker is what is stated about if the situation is that when comparing opponents that are tied it
separates them by winning percentage but 2-0 is better than 1-0 AND 0-1 is better than 0-2 . However this clause appears to only count for
when going down the list of common opponents and two of more common opponents are tied such as say if Dayton and Loyola ended up tied .
So is that clear as mud for everyone ??? Anyway the way I read it URI should be the 11 seed and play ST. Louis . Maybe being 12 and Playing Davidson would be better ?
0 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

luke wrote: 1 month ago To correct the above seeding statements : First of all Lasalle is not 3-0 Lasalle lost to URI . Lasalle split with URI and beat Fordham so Lasalle is 2-1
Uri is 2-2 having split with both Lasalle and Fordham Fordham is 1-2 . Lasalle wins the 10 seed . Now we are back to URI vs Fordham with identical
records . Neither team beat any of the first 3 teams so we go to UMASS . Fordham lost to UMASS and URI beat UMASS so I believe URI is the 11 seed .
The only thing confusing to me is what the tie breaker is what is stated about if the situation is that when comparing opponents that are tied it
separates them by winning percentage but 2-0 is better than 1-0 AND 0-1 is better than 0-2 . However this clause appears to only count for
when going down the list of common opponents and two of more common opponents are tied such as say if Dayton and Loyola ended up tied .
So is that clear as mud for everyone ??? Anyway the way I read it URI should be the 11 seed and play ST. Louis . Maybe being 12 and Playing Davidson would be better ?
Luke,
They have a thread on the seeding on the UMASSHOOPS Board that I have been following. This is the latest post there that might help explain........

Pretty sure Fordham and Davidson are the 12-13 matchup, and the winner plays VCU. This is out the window if La Salle comes from down 12 to beat Loyola.

It comes down to a 3-way tiebreaker for the 10-12 spots between La Salle, Fordham and URI, who all finish 6-12. La Salle is 2-1 in the 3 way matchup, URI is 2-2 and Fordham is 1-2. That puts Fordham at 12, URI at 11 and La Salle at 10.

SBU and St. Joes play in the 8/9 game.
0 x
steveystuds06
Sly Williams

I'd much rather play St. Louis and Duquesne... Then again, both of them beat us at our place.
0 x
ATTITUDE IS EVERYTHING
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

Damn I think I would rather play Davidson than St Louis oh well
0 x
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

Unread post by NYGFan_Section208 »

Yes, Thorr , details matter. !! Another screw up today, on gorhody, we apparently play Fordham Wed, March 9. Do we have a marketing department for athletics? Who is it?
Sorry Giant fan.I obviously don’t know who does what that are members of this board. In any event, thanks
Yeah, neither do I. After you posted, I went and checked and it was fixed, so I thought I might as well take credit for it. You're welcome.
0 x
Shane D
Abdul Fox

Unread post by Shane D »

Yeah, neither do I. After you posted, I went and checked and it was fixed, so I thought I might as well take credit for it. You're welcome.
That one was my fuck up. Didn't realize it until seeing this post. I apologize.

Shane
2 x
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Jersey77 »

Good day for me yesterday.

Both the women and men win.
And most important I had another granddaughter born.

Besides that, I think Reef was the only one that mentioned Brown had a double/double against Fordham (12 pts/11 rebs).
As much abuse as he gets on this board, it should be noted when he has a decent game.
9 x
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

Congrats on the family addition, 77! That's awesome!

Brown did have a good game, Fuchs was back starting, where he should be...and Luis continues to get after it despite being less than perfectly suited for the PG role. To me, LK gets the "delivered way more than expected" award. (It is almost a little humorous now to see Arch waving his arms for them to "run" "faster"...with Luis already running as fast as he can)

Need to go streaking and postpone L #20 as long as possible.
1 x
section(105)
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by section(105) »

Good win for sure. Maybe this will pump a few pounds of air into the mostly deflated season going into the A-10. A win or two? Sure, why not. Beyond that doubtful. Then the talent upgrades begin. Go Rhody
0 x
Ram logo via Grist 1938
rhodyblue12
ARD

Unread post by rhodyblue12 »

Rhody Sody wrote: 1 month ago
Rhodymob05 wrote: 1 month ago Putting Dubsky in is cute but he’s not an A10 player.
He was trying to play tough D. Hands up and hustling through screens. I’ll give credit where credit is due. He’s hustling when he is in and no issues with attitude. Give him time.
The announcers yesterday told the story of Kyle Rose - when Urgo arrived people told him that Rose was not an A-10 level player.
You have to give guys a couple of years. Not saying Dubsky will end up being as good as Rose, but a contributor? Sure.
0 x
Rhodymob05
Tyson Wheeler

I give all freshman some slack, like Foumena for example who has the size and athleticism to be a good player. Dubs will improve, but I’m not sure he’ll be quick enough, but maybe I’m wrong.
1 x
GO RAMS
section(105)
Ernie Calverley

Rhodymob05 wrote: 1 month ago I give all freshman some slack, like Foumena for example who has the size and athleticism to be a good player. Dubs will improve, but I’m not sure he’ll be quick enough, but maybe I’m wrong.
All his (Dubs) short comings are on full display. But if his shooting is valued and an asset, the coaches will run and have stuff for me in his limited back up minutes. Talented enough for top A-10 program? No. Talented enough to get some meaningful minutes next year? For me that is a yes.
0 x
Ram logo via Grist 1938
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by Billyboy78 »

Jersey77 wrote: 1 month ago Good day for me yesterday.

Besides that, I think Reef was the only one that mentioned Brown had a double/double against Fordham (12 pts/11 rebs).
As much abuse as he gets on this board, it should be noted when he has a decent game.
I like Brown more than most people here. Congrats, grandpa!
1 x
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

Billyboy78 wrote: 1 month ago

Thanks BB and NYG.

As far as Brown goes, even though he is a junior, this was only his first season at Div.1 and the transition is always harder for bigs. I think he can provide nice depth at that position, and he will probably be much improved in 24-25.
0 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

ramster wrote: 1 month ago Tyson Brown tied his Minutes played last game vs GMU with 28. Most minutes for him in A10 Games and most since he played 28 vs Delaware.
His minutes were 3rd highest behind Green and Kortright
Brown has started the last 4 games

Fuchs got frustrated with 8:45 left in the GMU game. Ronnie Polite had just driven past House for a layup. Houston grabbed the ball and with 2 hands slammed it against the Basketball Hoop support base. It was not noticeable what led Fuchs to get so frustrated. It did not appear to be with the Referee call itself. Fuchs appears to want to win badly and he is frustrated with current losing streak.

Ref called a Technical Foul. Miller took Fuchs out and he sat the remainder of the game.

Will be interesting to see who Miller starts today and how he distributes minutes with next Tuesday's next game in Brooklyn.
I posted the above prior to the game in this thread....

I was a bit surprised by Miller starting Fuchs in place of Brown after Brown had started the past 4 games but the change was based on injury to Fuchs so it makes sense. Last game vs GMU Brown played a season hi 28 minutes and he had a career high 3 blocked shots, but he was only 1-6 FG and 4 rebounds and a good zero TOs
Part of Brown's 28 minutes last game was because Fuchs slammed the ball into the Basket Support out of frustration, got a "T" and Miller sat Fuchs the last 9 minutes.

Yesterday Fuchs started and played 18 minutes 2-3 FG, 1-1 FT, 4 R but 3 TOs
Brown 21 min, 3-3 FG, 6-10 FT for 12 points. Big 11 R, 1 Assist, 1 TO, 1 Steal and he fouled out
Foumena played 1 minute at the end of the 1st half.

I watched Foumena at Halftime warmups and he spent his time shooting 3 point shots.
0 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

Jersey77 wrote: 1 month ago

Thanks BB and NYG.

As far as Brown goes, even though he is a junior, this was only his first season at Div.1 and the transition is always harder for bigs. I think he can provide nice depth at that position, and he will probably be much improved in 24-25.
Congrats 77. Good choice to be there for that historic event vs at Fordham :D

I had mentioned Brown getting 28 minutes last game. He was steady in that GMU game. He plays steady, and maybe plays as mature as anybody on the team, Kortright being the other that comes to mind.

While Brown, Fuchs and Foumena get a ton of discussion seems like all season, once Miller made the decision to go with 4 Guards and then Green becoming that 4th Guard/Forward then it was only 1 spot available for Fuch's Brown and Foumena to battle over.

Will be interesting to see who Miller goes with vs St Louis. My guess is Fuchs, but it does not matter too much as Miller will divide the minutes between Fuchs and Brown based on how the game is going and how each player is performing offensively and defensively.
1 x
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

ramster wrote: 1 month ago
Jersey77 wrote: 1 month ago

Thanks BB and NYG.

Congrats 77. Good choice to be there for that historic event vs at Fordham :D

I had mentioned Brown getting 28 minutes last game. He was steady in that GMU game. He plays steady, and maybe plays as mature as anybody on the team, Kortright being the other that comes to mind.

While Brown, Fuchs and Foumena get a ton of discussion seems like all season, once Miller made the decision to go with 4 Guards and then Green becoming that 4th Guard/Forward then it was only 1 spot available for Fuch's Brown and Foumena to battle over.

Will be interesting to see who Miller goes with vs St Louis. My guess is Fuchs, but it does not matter too much as Miller will divide the minutes between Fuchs and Brown based on how the game is going and how each player is performing offensively and defensively.
Thanks Ramster a pretty cool day.
0 x
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

Congrats to you and your family 77

Yeah , Tyson has a good motor , I be ok with him as a reserve big next season
1 x
bigappleram
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by bigappleram »

NYGFan_Section208 wrote: 1 month ago Congrats on the family addition, 77! That's awesome!

Brown did have a good game, Fuchs was back starting, where he should be...and Luis continues to get after it despite being less than perfectly suited for the PG role. To me, LK gets the "delivered way more than expected" award. (It is almost a little humorous now to see Arch waving his arms for them to "run" "faster"...with Luis already running as fast as he can)

I agree NYG, relative to expectations Luis performed well this year.
He's not a natural PG, but he had plenty of moments where he showed up big. Moreso than others.
0 x
SGreenwell
Sly Williams

Unread post by SGreenwell »

rhodyblue12 wrote: 1 month ago
The announcers yesterday told the story of Kyle Rose - when Urgo arrived people told him that Rose was not an A-10 level player.
You have to give guys a couple of years. Not saying Dubsky will end up being as good as Rose, but a contributor? Sure.
Rose was really, really bad for two years, below average for two, and he's now an above-average starter as a 23-year-old fifth year starter. The improvement on his part is good, but that's a pretty poor ROI for five years worth of a scholarship. His improvement this year is also primarily because he's gone from a 32 percent 3-point shooter to a 39 percent 3-point shooter. Because this is almost certainly his final year in college, it's hard to know whether this is a legitimate improvement, or simply a one-year blip.
0 x
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

SGreenwell wrote: 1 month ago
rhodyblue12 wrote: 1 month ago

Rose was really, really bad for two years, below average for two, and he's now an above-average starter as a 23-year-old fifth year starter. The improvement on his part is good, but that's a pretty poor ROI for five years worth of a scholarship. His improvement this year is also primarily because he's gone from a 32 percent 3-point shooter to a 39 percent 3-point shooter. Because this is almost certainly his final year in college, it's hard to know whether this is a legitimate improvement, or simply a one-year blip.
Um the bloom seemed to be off that Rose yesterday, just saying. Also did anyone else hear the announcer call the Fordham gym, "Rose Thrill"?
0 x
Rhodymob05
Tyson Wheeler

Rhody held Fordham to their lowest point total at home and second lowest point total all season at 50. Their lowest was 45 points during a neutral tournament game in December.
0 x
GO RAMS
section(105)
Ernie Calverley

bigappleram wrote: 1 month ago
NYGFan_Section208 wrote: 1 month ago Congrats on the family addition, 77! That's awesome!

He's not a natural PG, but he had plenty of moments where he showed up big. Moreso than others.
Luis, he got thrust into the PG position out of necessity. If House goes and Hammond arrives, I think Luishas shown capability to get to the hoop on dribble drive. I don’t like how Luis puts back to defender while at PG, to protect the ball. I think that reduces his court vision that the PG needs. Like his motor. Hope he stays.
2 x
Ram logo via Grist 1938
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

Yesterday, Rhody scored 22 points in the 2nd half and won. A week ago, they scored 52 points in the second half and lost...
4 x
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

When Arch waves for Hammond to push the ball up he’s so fast he will already be @ the rim !
0 x
steveystuds06
Sly Williams

bigappleram wrote: 1 month ago

Yeah, Luis has been one of our most consistent players all year. He's a tough kid and a leader. I would give him a B for this year. He had a stretch where he was pretty bad, but I think he was playing hurt in those games, as he looked even slower.

I know many have said they want him back, and I would take him, but I think we need faster, more athletic players on the floor for this team to take a real step forward, as Archie wants. Luis is slow on both ends, and it can hurt us. However, Luis is a veteran who has shown he can be a clutch player. He might be more successful playing off the ball while Hammond runs the point. He's also a solid backup point guard if we need him to run the offense.

I think I'm in the minority in wanting House back over Luis. The main reason is I want Hammond to get as much playing time as possible, and I believe House could be very successful next to a fast-paced, playmaking point guard. Too often, Luis slows it down and has issues getting by his man, so House is stuck receiving the ball outside the 3-point line and needs to try to make a play by himself. I think Hammond will put House and others in much better positions to score. I know we could bring back House and Luis, but that makes me believe Cam won't have a more significant role, and Hammond won't play as much. Since next year will be a rebuilding year yet again, I would prefer to see our younger guys develop and play big minutes.

We'll see what happens. For now, let's extend the season a little longer and have some fun. Obviously, if we win both games and play Dayton, we will lose by 100, but let's win the first two games!!
2 x
ATTITUDE IS EVERYTHING
section(105)
Ernie Calverley

reef wrote: 1 month ago

When Arch waves for Hammond to push the ball up he’s so fast he will already be @ the rim !
Over this season, I have been surprised how slow individual players are compared with opponents. Quick, speedy, with and w/o the ball. Ithink we have across the board a step or two slower than many opponents. That has to change.
0 x
Ram logo via Grist 1938