Men's Basketball Transfer Carousel and Portal - 2024-25

Talk about the men's team, upcoming opponents and news from around college hoop.
RF1
Ernie Calverley

Re: Men's Basketball Transfer Carousel and Portal - 2024-25

Unread post by RF1 »

RIFan wrote: 2 weeks ago I asked the same question before! If they get paid they are no longer “kids” they are now this years hired players/pros and may very well be treated as such if they suck. Or they will just play in front of fewer and fewer fans if they are lucky.

I used to be very much against publicly criticizing college players. I viewed them as young amateurs that represented the school. Thought booing was totally inappropriate. My feelings have evolved as the situation has much changed. College players are now basically paid professionals with stipends and NIL. Many choose schools based on how much they can make there and have little loyalty to the institution they play for. The current transfer environment is a prime example of this. Players these days are also no longer kids. Many players today are adults in the mid 20's and are older than some NBA players. College basketball at the D1 level is no longer amateur sports being played by kids. College players want to be paid like pros so they should expect the same treatment that fans give pros. That includes well paid players meeting high performance expectations. If players do not earn the money they are paid, they are fair game to fan frustration.
section(105)
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by section(105) »

RF1 wrote: 2 weeks ago
RIFan wrote: 2 weeks ago I asked the same question before! If they get paid they are no longer “kids” they are now this years hired players/pros and may very well be treated as such if they suck. Or they will just play in front of fewer and fewer fans if they are lucky.

I used to be very much against publicly criticizing college players. I viewed them as young amateurs that represented the school. Thought booing was totally inappropriate. My feelings have evolved as the situation has much changed. College players are now basically paid professionals with stipends and NIL. Many choose schools based on how much they can make there and have little loyalty to the institution they play for. The current transfer environment is a prime example of this. Players these days are also no longer kids. Many players today are adults in the mid 20's and are older than some NBA players. College basketball at the D1 level is no longer amateur sports being played by kids. College players want to be paid like pros so they should expect the same treatment that fans give pros. That includes well paid players meeting high performance expectations. If players do not earn the money they are paid, they are fair game to fan frustration.
Yes, exactly. Whether or not people contributed to Collective(s). Maybe those that did contribute could boo louder if they like. I have neva been a big boo guy, but if an analytic critical comment is warranted, I now will not hesitate.
Ram logo via Grist 1938
RJRam
Steve Chubin

Unread post by RJRam »

I hope the boo-birds stay on their couches and watch from home. When I am at the Ryan Center, I'm rooting for the kids, but really I'm also rooting for the team and the University. Unlike PC where only a small percentage of their crowds have any attachment to the school, Ryan Center crowds have a high percentage of Alumni and family. Next year, when the players are different, I'm still rooting for the team and the URI. I think booing will ruin the great RC atmosphere and may, in the long run, hurt our chances with recruits and attendance. I think it is nice that booing has never been a thing at the RC.

BTW I'm definitely not a fan of NIL
hrstrat57
Sly Williams

Unread post by hrstrat57 »

I'll yell:

"Push the ball"
"rebound the GD ball"
"let's go!!"
"shoot the freakin ball"
"what the hell was that?"

etc etc

but boo individual players? Nah not me....

Coach and staff (including Yorke) are fair game.

I heard quite a few more boos than normal last year tho...

I think fixing the stupid PA and getting Yorke under control will do more for the atmosphere.

Y'all wanna boo knock yourselves out. The landscape has changed for sure.
We're gonna run the picket fence at "em.....now boys don't get caught watchin' the paint dry!
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

Unread post by NYGFan_Section208 »

RJRam wrote: 2 weeks ago I hope the boo-birds stay on their couches and watch from home. When I am at the Ryan Center, I'm rooting for the kids, but really I'm also rooting for the team and the University. Unlike PC where only a small percentage of their crowds have any attachment to the school, Ryan Center crowds have a high percentage of Alumni and family. Next year, when the players are different, I'm still rooting for the team and the URI. I think booing will ruin the great RC atmosphere and may, in the long run, hurt our chances with recruits and attendance. I think it is nice that booing has never been a thing at the RC.

I think any sport where the players have agents...is cleared for booing. In the past, would have cringed at the idea, but now it's just another pro sport...

I think the NIL agreements should be public, and am guessing that, when schools are allowed to pay direct...that will have to happen, won't it? At least at State U's?
Rhody15
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Rhody15 »

hrstrat57 wrote: 2 weeks ago I'll yell:

"Push the ball"
"rebound the GD ball"
"let's go!!"
"shoot the freakin ball"

etc etc

I think fixing the stupid PA and getting Yorke under control will do more for the atmosphere.

Boo the coach, but not the players who are on the court performing?

Boo the goddamn PA guy, who has zero to do with the results of the game?

...but won't boo the players who are determining if we win or lose by their on court play?

I've boo'd the stiffs we've had over the years and will continue to do so.

If they're getting high 5 figures into the 6 figures, they absolutely can get boo'd if they're playing like shit. Wanna get paid and treated like professionals? Then booing comes with it.

Lot of kids on teams could not care less about the school they are representing. It is a payday and audition for the next school and the next paycheck.
Last edited by Rhody15 2 weeks ago, edited 1 time in total.
Go Rhody
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by Billyboy78 »

"Push the ball"
"rebound the GD ball"
"let's go!!"
"shoot the freakin ball"

etc etc

I save most of my screams for the refs. :lol:
hrstrat57
Sly Williams

Rhody15 wrote: 2 weeks ago

"Push the ball"
"rebound the GD ball"
"let's go!!"
"shoot the freakin ball"

etc etc

Boo the coach, but not the players who are on the court performing?

Boo the goddamn PA guy, who has zero to do with the results of the game?

...but won't boo the players who are determining if we win or lose by their on court play?

I've boo'd the stiffs we've had over the years and will continue to do so.

If they're getting high 5 figures into the 6 figures, they absolutely can get boo'd if they're playing like shit. Wanna get paid and treated like professionals? Then booing comes with it.
I reserve the right to change my mind...

:)
We're gonna run the picket fence at "em.....now boys don't get caught watchin' the paint dry!
Rhody15
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Rhody15 »

RJRam wrote: 2 weeks ago I hope the boo-birds stay on their couches and watch from home. When I am at the Ryan Center, I'm rooting for the kids, but really I'm also rooting for the team and the University. Unlike PC where only a small percentage of their crowds have any attachment to the school, Ryan Center crowds have a high percentage of Alumni and family. Next year, when the players are different, I'm still rooting for the team and the URI. I think booing will ruin the great RC atmosphere and may, in the long run, hurt our chances with recruits and attendance. I think it is nice that booing has never been a thing at the RC.

Great atmosphhere?

It's been a ghost town for 4+ years.
Go Rhody
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Jersey77 »

ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

PeterRamTime wrote: 2 weeks ago Blah blah blah

Where's our stinkin 7 footer!?
They all read on the board last season right around the UNH game that most posters here preferred a 4 guard line up and the coaching staff did too.
79RhodyFan
Steve Chubin

Unread post by 79RhodyFan »

The portal is closed. When are we going to hear about a new commit or 2? I’m starting to get very impatient. Anybody have any news or rumors I am getting desperate at this point.
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

79RhodyFan wrote: 2 weeks ago The portal is closed. When are we going to hear about a new commit or 2? I’m starting to get very impatient. Anybody have any news or rumors I am getting desperate at this point.
You'll hear it here immediately after something happens. Stealth. Remember? :roll:
NarraRamFan
Frenchy Tomlin

Unread post by NarraRamFan »

I'll need the Rhody NIL budget printout in front of me during the games to determine who is worthy of a boo...
Jdrums#3
Sly Williams

Unread post by Jdrums#3 »

Billyboy78 wrote: 2 weeks ago
79RhodyFan wrote: 2 weeks ago The portal is closed. When are we going to hear about a new commit or 2? I’m starting to get very impatient. Anybody have any news or rumors I am getting desperate at this point.
You'll hear it here immediately after something happens. Stealth. Remember? :roll:
I thought we would sign at least one more player this week after Traore early in the week. Maybe tomorrow ?

ETA: At this rate, maybe the plan isn’t to fill all 4 of the open spots ?
theblueram
Frank Keaney

Unread post by theblueram »

NarraRamFan wrote: 2 weeks ago I'll need the Rhody NIL budget printout in front of me during the games to dThey etermine who is worthy of a boo...
Well, URI out of state tuition, room and board is $51,484 per year. If a player is getting $100k a year in NIL, that is $600k over 4 years. They better be duckin if they are suckin.
RIFan
Carlton Owens

Unread post by RIFan »

Considering how many openings we have this has been the least exciting offseason in memory…so far a snooze fest. But I guess that’s Archie’s style….it’s served him so well.
RIFan
Carlton Owens

Unread post by RIFan »

theblueram wrote: 2 weeks ago
NarraRamFan wrote: 2 weeks ago I'll need the Rhody NIL budget printout in front of me during the games to dThey etermine who is worthy of a boo...
Well, URI out of state tuition, room and board is $51,484 per year. If a player is getting $100k a year in NIL, that is $600k over 4 years. They better be duckin if they are suckin.
I like to look at it as if it costs $50k to go here that means you need about $75,000 in income to have that money, so the value of a scholarship is well above the actual cost of attendance.
ElmCityRhody
Sly Williams

Unread post by ElmCityRhody »

i just hope that the donaters are happy with their donations at the end of the day - if they aren’t do they continue to donate next year ?

you have every right to expect a return on the money you spent
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

I’m guessing with the portal finally closed that the competition is pretty fierce with these teams trying to get the best fits for their teams , I’m certain Arch and staff are working their tails off trying to finalize our roster !
rjv
Jimmy Baron

Unread post by rjv »

When did the roster fill last year
theblueram
Frank Keaney

Unread post by theblueram »

I can hear the fans now. "Hey (player X) how much NIL are you making because you suck at free throws"
PeterRamTime
Frank Keaney

Unread post by PeterRamTime »

ramster wrote: 2 weeks ago

They all read on the board last season right around the UNH game that most posters here preferred a 4 guard line up and the coaching staff did too.
You mean preferring a 4 guard lineup to having slow ass Tyson Brown and Fuchs out there at the same time?
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

PeterRamTime wrote: 2 weeks ago

You mean preferring a 4 guard lineup to having slow ass Tyson Brown and Fuchs out there at the same time?
And/or Foumena. Yes.
Fuchs who I watched steal the ball about 6 times last year from opposing guards at the top of the key and go the distance for dunks 5 times and one time got fouled. All times beating opposing guards who were chasing him.
Fuchs lost weight, got stronger and faster as the season went on but some people crashed him mercilessly about his play and like you still criticize his speed.

I’d love to have Fuchs, Brown, Bilau, Foumena race baseline to baseline with Montgomery and Kortright. Kortright would come in last and Montgomery was the 2nd worst defensive player I’ve ever seen in all my years of watching URI MBB with Braymon Freeman easily being the worst.
Remember several local media and posters plus Archie himself saying preseason how very fast this team would be? I never saw this as a fast team.

Fuchs and Brown did play together much of the first half of the season.

Some said URI could play 4 guards in the A10 because it would eork better.

4 big men and the last half of the season only played 1. No wonder they transferred out.
section(105)
Ernie Calverley

theblueram wrote: 2 weeks ago I can hear the fans now. "Hey (player X) how much NIL are you making because you suck at free throws"
Yes, this will happen. Moreover, it will happen here in some way after every game, especially the losses.
Ram logo via Grist 1938
NHRamFan
Lamar Odom

Unread post by NHRamFan »

Do I look forward to hearing about who has been added to the roster? Yes!
Do I expect that we deserve to know who the staff is pursuing? Absolutely not... In the current climate where coaches are literally bidding against other schools to gain the services of players, why tip your hand? The sense of entitlement here is confounding - we are fans, not consultants. And before anyone says "if I'm expected to pay into an NIL fund, I should know where it's going!" I say - fair enough. AFTER the fact.

PS (which stands for Post Script): As an old codger, I grew up with the understanding that ETA stands for Estimated Time of Arrival. Yet I continue to see it used here differently. Can someone fill me in????
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

NHRamFan wrote: 2 weeks ago Do I look forward to hearing about who has been added to the roster? Yes!
Do I expect that we deserve to know who the staff is pursuing? Absolutely not... In the current climate where coaches are literally bidding against other schools to gain the services of players, why tip your hand? The sense of entitlement here is confounding - we are fans, not consultants. And before anyone says "if I'm expected to pay into an NIL fund, I should know where it's going!" I say - fair enough. AFTER the fact.

PS (which stands for Post Script): As an old codger, I grew up with the understanding that ETA stands for Estimated Time of Arrival. Yet I continue to see it used here differently. Can someone fill me in????
I don’t know what ETA means either. Seen it used by a few posters recently??? Maybe they can explain.

Quickly the predominant method of recruiting is Portal. The courting of HS Players has taken a back seat, way back of the bus.

Players are now identified quickly and quietly to gauge interest from both sides, gauge fit and negotiate terms. Most announcements by teams (not just URI) are surprises when announced. It’s stealth because it just is. You don’t show your hand in a poker game. Lists of schools of interest that do get publicized are coming from the player or the (gulp) player’s agent or both. Now we have agent’s for college players. The secrecy and stealth comes from the process itself. Money is being negotiated.

Rhode Vault spilled the beans about a recent UarI signing getting $50k. RV got called out not by URI but the players family as being none of his business. RV said he would not share NIL numbers anymore in the future.
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

Unread post by NYGFan_Section208 »

Which brings up an 'interesting', doesn't it? When the pot of gold explodes with the current or the next lawsuit, and the money starts going directly from the schools to the players, won't the amounts that Rhody players are getting be public anyway? I think if RV has more, he should be ahead of his time, because that time is coming (happens in every other pro sport) and spill. Why not?

The funny part to me though is...who the heck is making that info available to RV in the first place. Maybe that's known, but how about being the one that let him know? Maybe it was the player? If so, bet he feels like a nitwit for that? But...if the mom said nunya, then surely it couldn't have been the player, right? So, if it's not the player, or his fam, then who let the vault get the cat, er, let the cat out of the you know ¯\_(ツ)_/¯?
rhodylaw
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by rhodylaw »

section(105) wrote: 2 weeks ago
theblueram wrote: 2 weeks ago I can hear the fans now. "Hey (player X) how much NIL are you making because you suck at free throws"
Yes, this will happen. Moreover, it will happen here in some way after every game, especially the losses.
Definitely hate that part of it. I am glad the kids are able to make some money, they deserve it but the collectives which are essentially an arm of the team just paying guys to show up at a couple of events is awful. If you want to do a commercial with a company, make some cash doing endorsements I am all for it. The collective BS is the problem. I don’t think you would have the pushback against kids not performing if a car dealership wants to pay a guy to do a commercial. You will get a lot more pushback/pressure on kids to perform when they are being paid to perform.
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

NYGFan_Section208 wrote: 2 weeks ago Which brings up an 'interesting', doesn't it? When the pot of gold explodes with the current or the next lawsuit, and the money starts going directly from the schools to the players, won't the amounts that Rhody players are getting be public anyway? I think if RV has more, he should be ahead of his time, because that time is coming (happens in every other pro sport) and spill. Why not?

The funny part to me though is...who the heck is making that info available to RV in the first place. Maybe that's known, but how about being the one that let him know? Maybe it was the player? If so, bet he feels like a nitwit for that? But...if the mom said nunya, then surely it couldn't have been the player, right? So, if it's not the player, or his fam, then who let the vault get the cat, er, let the cat out of the you know ¯\_(ツ)_/¯?
Ha ha

The pot of gold is going to get huge when that media money gets released by the lawsuits or the threat of lawsuits

Players are now delaying NBA, delaying G-League and why go overseas when the Pot of Gold is right here?

Private schools don’t have to disclose salaries but public schools do.

But imagine Ben Hammond URI NIL check exceeds Dr Parlange’s
salary?
ProJo does their typical story on States highest paid employees?
Ben Hammond makes more than his Professors? And his is Tax Free?
Hammond makes more than the Governor?
Or more than that guy who is responsible for the East Providence Bridge?
section(105)
Ernie Calverley

East Providence Bridge? I grew up there, neva heard of it.😉
Ram logo via Grist 1938
ElmCityRhody
Sly Williams

Unread post by ElmCityRhody »

ridiculous

i’ll never contribute to thiis nonsense
Rhody15
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Rhody15 »

ElmCityRhody wrote: 1 week ago ridiculous

You won’t?

Must be the first time you’ve posted that, don’t think I’ve ever seen your opinion on donating to NIL.
Go Rhody
Iggy1979
Sly Williams

Unread post by Iggy1979 »

Why is it tax free?
"Every season, college basketball has one or two teams that rise from dormancy to relevancy, squads that make long-awaited charges at the NCAA Tournament and become really fun storylines along the way."
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Sooo.....what happened to this flurry of activity that was supposed to happen right after the portal closed?
PeterRamTime
Frank Keaney

NHRamFan wrote: 2 weeks ago Do I look forward to hearing about who has been added to the roster? Yes!

We know who we are competing against and our competition knows we are competing against them. There aren't secrets, it's just we don't have media that covers recruiting/portal.
79RhodyFan
Steve Chubin

Unread post by 79RhodyFan »

Iggy1979 wrote: 1 week ago Why is it tax free?
It’s not tax-free, it’s taxable income to the recipients
PeterRamTime
Frank Keaney

PeterRamTime wrote: 2 weeks ago

And/or Foumena. Yes.
Fuchs who I watched steal the ball about 6 times last year from opposing guards at the top of the key and go the distance for dunks 5 times and one time got fouled. All times beating opposing guards who were chasing him.
Fuchs lost weight, got stronger and faster as the season went on but some people crashed him mercilessly about his play and like you still criticize his speed.

I’d love to have Fuchs, Brown, Bilau, Foumena race baseline to baseline with Montgomery and Kortright. Kortright would come in last and Montgomery was the 2nd worst defensive player I’ve ever seen in all my years of watching URI MBB with Braymon Freeman easily being the worst.
Remember several local media and posters plus Archie himself saying preseason how very fast this team would be? I never saw this as a fast team.

Fuchs and Brown did play together much of the first half of the season.

Some said URI could play 4 guards in the A10 because it would eork better.

4 big men and the last half of the season only played 1. No wonder they transferred out.
It only didn't work out because Brown and Fuchs both couldn't dribble or shoot so you couldn't put them on the court together. We saw that didn't work.

Green is not a guard, so we did play with two bigs. Had Bilau been healthy we could have gone bigger since he was more versatile offensively and could defend better than Fou, Fuchs and Brown.
hrstrat57
Sly Williams

ramster wrote: 1 week ago
NYGFan_Section208 wrote: 2 weeks ago Which brings up an 'interesting', doesn't it? When the pot of gold explodes with the current or the next lawsuit, and the money starts going directly from the schools to the players, won't the amounts that Rhody players are getting be public anyway? I think if RV has more, he should be ahead of his time, because that time is coming (happens in every other pro sport) and spill. Why not?

Ha ha

The pot of gold is going to get huge when that media money gets released by the lawsuits or the threat of lawsuits

Players are now delaying NBA, delaying G-League and why go overseas when the Pot of Gold is right here?

Private schools don’t have to disclose salaries but public schools do.

But imagine Ben Hammond URI NIL check exceeds Dr Parlange’s
salary?
ProJo does their typical story on States highest paid employees?
Ben Hammond makes more than his Professors? And his is Tax Free?
Hammond makes more than the Governor?
Or more than that guy who is responsible for the East Providence Bridge?
Good post Ramster. Another reason why we could be at a disadvantage. Unless it all leads to a deep NCAA tourney run. Nobody will question the money then will they?

Winning always solves everything.
Rhodymob05
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhodymob05 »

Can’t do 4 guard lineups anymore. A10 is getting bigger.
GO RAMS
PeterRamTime
Frank Keaney

Rhodymob05 wrote: 1 week ago Can’t do 4 guard lineups anymore. A10 is getting bigger.
Yeah the 4 guard lineup was only feasible because of the absence of Bilau and Green and needing an alternative to Brown and Fuchs on the floor at the same time.

Either way, Mr Whitmore is following all these big guys. Perhaps someone is visiting this weekend?
Ramfan22
ARD

Unread post by Ramfan22 »

PeterRamTime wrote: 1 week ago
Rhodymob05 wrote: 1 week ago Can’t do 4 guard lineups anymore. A10 is getting bigger.
Yeah the 4 guard lineup was only feasible because of the absence of Bilau and Green and needing an alternative to Brown and Fuchs on the floor at the same time.

Either way, Mr Whitmore is following all these big guys. Perhaps someone is visiting this weekend?
They definitely have some players visiting. Even though it may seem like it because of how quiet it is they’re obviously recruiting players.
PeterRamTime
Frank Keaney

Ramfan22 wrote: 1 week ago

They definitely have some players visiting. Even though it may seem like it because of how quiet it is they’re obviously recruiting players.
Someone go down to the cliff walk

See if they see anyone really tall...like 7 feet tall 👀
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Jersey77 »

Aside from trying to land a rim protector, I hope we put a full court press on getting Eli Wilborn.
He is a front court player that can develop with us and possibly build around.
Him being from close-by in Ct should help.
Ramfan22
ARD

Unread post by Ramfan22 »

Jersey77 wrote: 1 week ago

Aside from trying to land a rim protector, I hope we put a full court press on getting Eli Wilborn.
I noticed JaMarques Lawrence and Bassy follow Wilborn. Had a really good freshman year, high upside. Still have 4 spots left won’t hurt getting Wilborn and then a 6’10” guy or above.
PeterRamTime
Frank Keaney

Jersey77 wrote: 1 week ago

I noticed JaMarques Lawrence and Bassy follow Wilborn. Had a really good freshman year, high upside. Still have 4 spots left won’t hurt getting Wilborn and then a 6’10” guy or above.
Maybe Wilborn and one of those 5th year 7 footers.
UCH21377
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by UCH21377 »

Word gets out eventually. Depends on connections. I know of one 6 figure deal which was surprisingly high to me. Non URI kid.
Jdrums#3
Sly Williams

Unread post by Jdrums#3 »

Billyboy78 wrote: 1 week ago Sooo.....what happened to this flurry of activity that was supposed to happen right after the portal closed?
78, we hired an asst coach. Although, he’s probably been working for us since before the portal closed.

We signed a player (Traore). Although was he announced before or after the portal ? Damn, can’t recall off the top of my head. Yikes.

The end of this week has been too quiet for me. I might take a break here and go hang out with the battleaxe for some excitement. :lol: :lol: :lol:

ETA: I meant the A10 battleaxe, as affectionately known on KB. :lol:
Last edited by Jdrums#3 1 week ago, edited 2 times in total.
RI_Bred
Carlton Owens

Unread post by RI_Bred »

NHRamFan wrote: 2 weeks ago PS (which stands for Post Script): As an old codger, I grew up with the understanding that ETA stands for Estimated Time of Arrival. Yet I continue to see it used here differently. Can someone fill me in????
"Edited To Add"
Mobley was fouled.
steveystuds06
Sly Williams

Unread post by steveystuds06 »

ElmCityRhody wrote: 1 week ago ridiculous

Before I block you, I just want to say to see such a fun, positive poster turn into one of the most negative people on here sucks. A few of us have asked you to stop flooding the thread with the NIL comments, but you continue to do it. Why you find it necessary to keep repeating yourself over and over and over and over and over and over, I'll never understand, but that's why we have a block button here. At least before you would post a million youtube clips. I hope you go back to that one day.
ATTITUDE IS EVERYTHING