A10 Outlook for 2022-23

Talk about the men's team, upcoming opponents and news from around college hoop.
SGreenwell
Sly Williams

Re: A10 Outlook for 2022-23

Unread post by SGreenwell »

Billyboy78 wrote: 1 year ago Check out where this clown picked us.

Tristan Freeman
@hoopsnut351
My preseason Atlantic 10 power rankings for 2022-23:

1. Saint Louis
2. Dayton
3. VCU
4. George Mason
5. Davidson
6. Loyola-Chicago
7. Richmond
8. UMass
9. Fordham
10. Duquesne
11. St. Bonaventure
12. George Washington
13. St. Joe's
14. La Salle

I predict 3 teams make the NCAAT.
Ha, took my dumb morning brain like three attempts to get the joke here. (FWIW, he did follow up and throw us into ninth place on a follow-up tweet, haha.)
LoveThoseRams
Tom Garrick

Unread post by LoveThoseRams »

SGreenwell wrote: 1 year ago
Billyboy78 wrote: 1 year ago Check out where this clown picked us.

Tristan Freeman
@hoopsnut351
My preseason Atlantic 10 power rankings for 2022-23:

1. Saint Louis
2. Dayton
3. VCU
4. George Mason
5. Davidson
6. Loyola-Chicago
7. Richmond
8. UMass
9. Fordham
10. Duquesne
11. St. Bonaventure
12. George Washington
13. St. Joe's
14. La Salle

I predict 3 teams make the NCAAT.
Ha, took my dumb morning brain like three attempts to get the joke here. (FWIW, he did follow up and throw us into ninth place on a follow-up tweet, haha.)
OMG, too early for basketball "Where's Waldo"

I had to read it 3 times to see he forgot us!
ace
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by ace »

They got it together eventually-

ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

ace wrote: 1 year ago They got it together eventually-

How I long for the days of Dan Hurley and Jim Harrick. Look forward to Archie Miller getting URI back to relevancy again where we will not be forgotten in any Preseason Poll.
Rhodymob05
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhodymob05 »

He makes it sound like URI was just added to the conference. Cmon Man!
GO RAMS
ElmCityRhody
Sly Williams

Unread post by ElmCityRhody »

ahhh... there it is. the 9/10 ranking

i will take them all on !

RHODY !
RHODY !
RHODY !

RAMS !
RAMS !
RAMS !

why do you doubt !??!!?!

Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by Billyboy78 »

ace
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by ace »

Dayton’s schedule starts out with some great opportunities with the Battle 4 Atlantis, as well semi-notable games against SMU and UNLV. It’s unfortunate for them and the conference if they’re not at full strength. They have a strong front court that will have to show up until they get their pg back. Injuries suck in all sports, but for college athletes, it just seems much more unfair.
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Jersey77 »

ace wrote: 1 year ago Dayton’s schedule starts out with some great opportunities with the Battle 4 Atlantis, as well semi-notable games against SMU and UNLV. It’s unfortunate for them and the conference if they’re not at full strength. They have a strong front court that will have to show up until they get their pg back. Injuries suck in all sports, but for college athletes, it just seems much more unfair.
Yes Ace that is unfortunate, especially since they are very thin at PG.
Probably moving Elvis over and starting Brea at CG/wing along with Blakney.

Not having Smith available for the Batlle of Atlantis will be a huge blow.
Doing well in that tournament would also be a nice boost for the A10.
Jdrums#3
Sly Williams

Unread post by Jdrums#3 »

True, Jersey. Bad break for Dayton and the A10. Hopefully, Dayton still shows well at the Atlantis Tourney.
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

Mooney part of the group wanting to expand the NCAAT.

Chris Mooney: 'What right-minded basketball fan would actually object to more March Madness?'
https://richmond.com/sports/college/ric ... b2aae.html
https://fieldof68.beehiiv.com/p/personal-pov-expansion
Last edited by Jersey77 1 year ago, edited 1 time in total.
JimSidd
Art Stephenson

Unread post by JimSidd »

Jersey77 wrote: 1 year ago Mooney part of the group wanting to expand the NCAAT.
Chris Mooney: 'What right-minded basketball fan would actually object to more March Madness?'
This comes up every now and again. I remember talk about doubling from 64 to 128 teams prior to the increase to 68. While more teams in the field would probably create more exciting tournament games, you need to be careful to not water the tournament down too much. Every team has a chance to get in the tournament now by winning its conference tournament. I was fine with the 64 and hope the number remains as is.
Also, what coach of a fringe tournament team wouldn’t want an expanded field? It could help protect his job.
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

JimSidd wrote: 1 year ago
Jersey77 wrote: 1 year ago Mooney part of the group wanting to expand the NCAAT.
This comes up every now and again. I remember talk about doubling from 64 to 128 teams prior to the increase to 68. While more teams in the field would probably create more exciting tournament games, you need to be careful to not water the tournament down too much. Every team has a chance to get in the tournament now by winning its conference tournament. I was fine with the 64 and hope the number remains as is.
Also, what coach of a fringe tournament team wouldn’t want an expanded field? It could help protect his job.
This is my take.

The P6 schools already have a huge advantage: revenue, recruiting, television contracts, media attention, and now trying to compete with the NIL.
The expansion of these power conferences will continue to chip away at the Mid- Majors.
Also increasing their in-conference schedules limiting games against smaller conferences.

The NCAAT committee also continues to reward P6 schools with losing and non-winning conference records to get bids, to the detriment of some deserving Mid-Majors.

The question is would an expanded NCAAT benefit the Mid-Majors, and give them some more national recognition?
Not sure, especially if it means just adding more undeserving P6 schools to the tournament.
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

I’m good with an expansion maybe to 96
Rhody15
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Rhody15 »

No doubt in my mind a P6 team with a below .500 record would get into the tournament if it were to expand.

Would probably happen every year.
Go Rhody
ElmCityRhody
Sly Williams

I got no doubt too !
Blue Man
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Blue Man »

Rhody15 wrote: 1 year ago No doubt in my mind a P6 team with a below .500 record would get into the tournament if it were to expand.

Would probably happen every year.
Nevermind that - but from a seeding perspective you're looking at an extra round of games. I'd bet anything they'd look to put non-P6 schools against each other. Essentially giving others a bye. It opens the field to seed non-P6 teams even lower. It could potentially add extra games to those slates.

I could maybe see an argument for 72 into the field - but still. You're just allowing more "first four" spots to go to non-P6 schools, and giving more of a reason to put P6 schools "in" the field, simultaneously knocking out more non-P6 schools.

From 2011 to now - only 23 of 88 teams in the first four were from the P6. 74% of that field is non-P6. And only 8 times was a non P6 team given a chance to knock off a P6 team. Meaning that the overwhelming majority of the first four is just an excuse to pit non-P6 teams against each other, and knock more non-P6 teams out of the actual field.

It's perfect as is. The cinderella element loses it's luster if you've got a majority of the field looking to play cinderella.
If you say you’re a Rhody fan, I know you are my brother. For you have suffered as I have suffered.

Give to the Athletic Director's Fund

Give to Rhody's NIL
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

More love for Dayton and SLU.

https://www.ncaa.com/news/basketball-me ... y-katz?amp

11 dark horse Final Four teams in men's college basketball, ranked by Andy Katz

7. Dayton: The Flyers bring back two of the best freshmen in the country in DaRon Holmes II and Malachi Smith. If the rotation players can contribute then Anthony Grant has another gem in Dayton.

10. Saint Louis: This team is loaded. And what wins in March? Great guards. Yuri Collins may be the best distributor in the country by season’s end. He has the goods to lead SLU on a run.
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

Great job by Martin getting a home (close enough)/away series with West Virginia.
Last edited by Jersey77 1 year ago, edited 1 time in total.
Rhody15
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Rhody15 »

Carbon copy of our series with them at Mohegan and Morgantown.

Credit to Huggins for scheduling A10 series.

I don’t have a problem with “neutral” site games seeing how Mohegan and Springfield are quasi home games for Rhody and UMass.
Go Rhody
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

Jersey77 wrote: 1 year ago Great job by Martin getting a home (close enough)/away series with West Virginia.

Tre Mitchell playing against his former team. Fun stuff.
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by Billyboy78 »

Martin certainly is a character.

ElmCityRhody
Sly Williams

Man to man would assume that you are a man
Rhody15
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Rhody15 »

Billyboy78 wrote: 1 year ago Martin certainly is a character.

I think he’s great on twitter.
Go Rhody
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

I still think Richmond can be a top 5 A10 team this season.

They have a brutal OOC schedule this season, playing tonight against Syracuse.
Their 2 losses weren't bad; Charleston by 2 pts in OT away at their home arena (a team that can possibly be ranked) with some big wins.
Also to Wichita State by 3 points.

They are also currently playing without their starting PF Matt Grace( 6'9" averaging 8 pts/4 rebs/4 assists)
who injured his knee.
Jdrums#3
Sly Williams

Jersey, Just our (the A10) luck Richmond will get healthy and hit its stride just in time for the conference schedule and thus blowing any OOC signature wins. They will end up pulling a Davidson. :lol:

Hopefully, they wake up early and smack down Syracuse for the sake of their’s and the conferences bid prospects in March. Shoot, If Colgate could beat the Cuse - and I’ll admit I know nothing of Colgate team this year - then Richmond can.

Might be an advantage to catching the Cuse early in the season. Perhaps they haven’t got their zone defense down quite right yet. Richmond and the A10 need these type games - as we all know.

Come on Richmond. Don’t pull a Davidson on the conference.
RF1
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by RF1 »

It is unfortunate that the OOC performance of other A-10 teams will have zero impact on URI. Just playing URI may be a bigger NET drag for A-10 teams than getting beat by quality OOC opponents. This is shaping up to be a very meaningless season for our Rams other than building for a better future (which may still be another two years off). Winter is coming and it looks pretty bleak. Programs such as St Joe's, Lasalle, and Duquense might be better than first thought based on play thus far. URI on the other hand appears to be far worse than projected. I would now, only two weeks into the season, fully expect that Rhody will be among the teams (10-15) that are in the first day play-in round of the A-10 Tournament. URI might actually be very close to the very bottom of the league and be bounced from the tournament before most league teams even play a single game.
Jdrums#3
Sly Williams

I hear ya, RF, they are worse than I projected (educated guess) so far, but I still hold out hope - as frustrating as things have been to the start of the season for Rhody - that Archie gets this team playing well enough to sneak into the 8th or 9th spot.

I’ll admit that a lot of “if’s” have to go our way have to go our way to get there: If Bray, Carey, Weston improve; If our bigs improve with more experience and are healthy; if the freshman continue to get p/t and keep improving; if the team gets more comfortable with Archie’s offensive and defensive schemes.

I expect the staff will continue to work and coach their butts off and do their best to keep the players focused despite W’s and L’s.

We will see how it goes. It’s a roller coaster ride this year.

Good discussion.
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

Dayton the pre-season highest ranked A10 team losing their last 3 out of 4 games including the first 2 games at Atlantis is not great for our conference.

SLU plays at Auburn on Sunday, it would be nice if they can pick up that win.
Blue Man
Tyson Wheeler

Jersey77 wrote: 1 year ago Dayton the pre-season highest ranked A10 team losing their last 3 out of 4 games including the first 2 games at Atlantis is not great for our conference.

I’m still very bullish on the team we will be come February.

There’s no untouchable team in this conference. We get Dayton and VCU at home.

St Louis may be the only true at large contender at this point, but they’re far from unbeatable.

Loyola, George Mason - teams that we were told would be top 5 for sure look like crap.

The OOC is meaningless this year, except for next Saturday. It’s all about Brooklyn. So let’s keep getting better.
If you say you’re a Rhody fan, I know you are my brother. For you have suffered as I have suffered.

Give to Rhody's NIL
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

Blue Man wrote: 1 year ago
Jersey77 wrote: 1 year ago Dayton the pre-season highest ranked A10 team losing their last 3 out of 4 games including the first 2 games at Atlantis is not great for our conference.

I’m still very bullish on the team we will be come February.

There’s no untouchable team in this conference. We get Dayton and VCU at home.

St Louis may be the only true at large contender at this point, but they’re far from unbeatable.

Loyola, George Mason - teams that we were told would be top 5 for sure look like crap.

The OOC is meaningless this year, except for next Saturday. It’s all about Brooklyn. So let’s keep getting better.
It is a shame that VCU who was picked 3rd is still without their most valuable player Ace.
Hopefully he will return soon.

But yeah, even though I don't really have high expectations for us, I still feel with continued improvement and growth we can be competitive in A10 play.
Maybe we can also pull out a few upsets along the way.
adam914
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by adam914 »

Jersey77 wrote: 1 year ago But yeah, even though I don't really have high expectations for us, I still feel with continued improvement and growth we can be competitive in A10 play.
Maybe we can also pull out a few upsets along the way.
I agree, I think we'll definitely be competitive in A10 play and I'm sure we'll pull out a few upsets and also throw in a few clunkers as well where we struggle to score. Just going to be that type of season. It'll be very interesting to see how the team looks come February.
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

Dayton playing BYU today they need that one bad
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

reef wrote: 1 year ago Dayton playing BYU today they need that one bad
They really need to win out the remaining games OOC.

Many on the Dayton fan board now questioning AG as an effective HC for them.
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

Jersey77 wrote: 1 year ago
reef wrote: 1 year ago Dayton playing BYU today they need that one bad
They really need to win out the remaining games OOC.

Many on the Dayton fan board now questioning AG as an effective HC for them.
Wow they sure seem to be underachieving so far based on preseason hype
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

Jdrums#3
Sly Williams

Jersey, I believe we see Dae Dae early in our conference schedule slate, is that correct?

I’ll have to check the schedule.

Anyway, will be interesting to see him match his scoring prowess against the scoring prowess of Ish and Bray.

Just checked. We open our A10 at home with Duquesne.
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

Jdrums#3 wrote: 1 year ago Jersey, I believe we see Dae Dae early in our conference schedule slate, is that correct?

Anyway, will be interesting to see him match his scoring prowess against the scoring prowess of Ish and Bray.

Like most of our games, this will be tough at Duquesne.

Their bigs; Reece, Gunn, and Easley have all missed games.
Plus guard Brewer.

Duquesne's only loss so far is Kentucky.
Blue Man
Tyson Wheeler

Jdrums#3 wrote: 1 year ago Jersey, I believe we see Dae Dae early in our conference schedule slate, is that correct?

Plus guard Brewer.

Can’t be worse than blowing 2 17 point leads to them.

Give to Rhody's NIL
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

Plus guard Brewer.

Grant played 3 years at Miami Ohio. Transferred to Duquesne this year. Only Duquesne loss was Kentucky as Rothstein says but Grant went 1-8 FG for only 3 points vs Kentucky

Duquesne has had an easy schedule.
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

ramster wrote: 1 year ago

Plus guard Brewer.

Grant played 3 years at Miami Ohio. Transferred to Duquesne this year. Only Duquesne loss was Kentucky as Rothstein says but Grant went 1-8 FG for only 3 points vs Kentucky

Correct Ramster
Tonight's game against UCSB should be a little more of a test for them.
The Gauchos aren't great but do have some talented and seasoned players.

Also, the Dukes may still be without some of their bigs.
https://goduquesne.com/news/2022/11/27/ ... rbara.aspx
"Forwards Joe Reece (injured), R.J. Gunn (injured) and Kevin Easley (team suspension) were all not in uniform for the second-straight game. It was the third game in a row missed by Gunn and Easley."

This may be a make-or-break year for Keith Dambrot.
Now in his 6th season and only had 1 A10 victory in 21-22.
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

Huge blow to Dayton's backcourt losing both Smith and Elvis.
Brea also has been out, only played 1 game this season.

Jdrums#3
Sly Williams

Brutal. Really tough break for Dayton and the conference.

A promising year circling the drain. Would like to see them get healthy and turn it around for the sake of the conference.
Rhodymob05
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhodymob05 »

Dayton peaked in 2020.
GO RAMS
Rhody15
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Rhody15 »

Rhodymob05 wrote: 1 year ago Dayton peaked in 2020.
They're a top 2 program in the A10 and one of the best mid major programs in America.

Have consistently been in the NCAA tournament discussion since Brian Gregory.
Go Rhody
steveystuds06
Sly Williams

Unread post by steveystuds06 »

Rhody15 wrote: 1 year ago
Rhodymob05 wrote: 1 year ago Dayton peaked in 2020.
They're a top 2 program in the A10 and one of the best mid major programs in America.

Have consistently been in the NCAA tournament discussion since Brian Gregory.
But will they ever be one of the favorites to win the national championship again? I don't think so. They can compete and could make a run in the tournament as Archie did, but most people had Dayton going to the final four, and if they didn't, it would have been a letdown. They were that good.
ATTITUDE IS EVERYTHING
luke
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by luke »

Dayton's near term future depends on Deron Holmes . If he returns to Dayton next season and doesn't go to the NBA , Dayton could be just as good as they were in 2020 next season . They are off to a poor start in part do to several key injuries ( Smith, Brea , Elvis ) but when they get healthy they
are going to be a monster again , and even better next season .
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

Plus guard Brewer.

Correct Ramster

"Forwards Joe Reece (injured), R.J. Gunn (injured) and Kevin Easley (team suspension) were all not in uniform for the second-straight game. It was the third game in a row missed by Gunn and Easley."

Duquesne favored by 4, wins by 11 over Gauchos. Grant with 26 points including 6-9 3Ps.

Grant thru 7 games now 27-48 for 56% 3Ps, plus 88% FTs
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

Correct Ramster

Duquesne favored by 4, wins by 11 over Gauchos. Grant with 26 points including 6-9 3Ps.

Grant thru 7 games now 27-48 for 56% 3Ps, plus 88% FTs
Yes Ramster.
Remember 5 mos. ago A10 Talk had him listed #1 as the most impactful transfer to the A10.
That tweet was posted in our transfer portal thread.

He is exactly the type of shooting threat and sniper we can use.
Hopefully next season Dubs can help fill that role.

Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

Not sure if anyone is noticing but coach Caputo is bringing a little excitement to GW basketball.

Also our former commit Brendan Adams is having quite a start to the season.
Averaging almost 18 pts (52% FG)/ 5.6 rebs/ 3 assists.

Him along with Bishop averaging almost 22 points/ 5 assists form an explosive backcourt.
Plus, Kansas transfer Edwards averaging almost 10 points (43.5% 3PT).

Add in PF Lindo (9 pts/8 rebs) and center Dean (8 pts), they have a nice starting 5.