A-10 Outlook for 2023-24

Talk about the men's team, upcoming opponents and news from around college hoop.
ramster
Frank Keaney

Re: A10 Outlook for 2023-24

Unread post by ramster »

IMG_0632.png
Another example of why Princeton beating Duquesne on Duquesne's home court is Duquesne is preseason ranked in the Top Tier in A10 by most preseason rankings. 4th highest average ranking of the group.

A10 Coaches had Dukes 4th, Ken Pom 5th

This is the exact type game A10 needs to win.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by ramster 6 months ago, edited 1 time in total.
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

Unread post by NYGFan_Section208 »

Jdrums#3 wrote: 6 months ago Good point, BAR. I forgot Princeton was a sweet sixteen team last season. Still the optics of one of the A10’s top teams (imo Duq is 1 or 2 in the conference) losing at home to an Ivy League team is troubling to me.

But, it’s early season still and funky, unexpected stuff can happen. If they play later in the post season the result may be different.
No one really thinks Duq U is the second best team in the conference
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

NYGFan_Section208 wrote: 6 months ago
Jdrums#3 wrote: 6 months ago Good point, BAR. I forgot Princeton was a sweet sixteen team last season. Still the optics of one of the A10’s top teams (imo Duq is 1 or 2 in the conference) losing at home to an Ivy League team is troubling to me.

But, it’s early season still and funky, unexpected stuff can happen. If they play later in the post season the result may be different.
Right, Barttovick has Duquesne #1

But it really doesn't matter what we think or they think. It's the NET that matters.

This loss moved the Ivy League and Princeton NET Up and Duquesne and A10 down. A10 has to stop the down trend.
Last edited by ramster 6 months ago, edited 1 time in total.
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Jersey77 »

I am really looking forward to this weekend, it will tell us so much about our team.
If we are impressive our team can contend and make a legitimate run in the A10.
Blue Man may end up being right and props to him.

Dayton losing Malachi was huge.
Not only that, their prize freshman recruit Allen is currently out with injury.
Simon another recruit is redshirting.
Zimi, not sure why, hasn't even seen the court yet.
That currently only leaves them with 8 scholarship players.

The Bonnies, Duquesne, and Fordham all with losses at home, and were favored.
SLU still thin and very inexperienced in the frontcourt.

Richmond, St. Joe's, and GW may also be legit, we will see.

But yeah, who knows, we can also shock everyone and be in the mix.
bigappleram
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by bigappleram »

Blue Man wrote: 6 months ago
PeterRamTime wrote: 6 months ago
bigappleram wrote: 6 months ago

Princeton was a sweet 16 team last year. Duquesne is Duquesne. That’s not a bad loss.
Yet...

It's still a bad loss in that they won't have many other chances to build their resume.

Which is not me saying they are a legit tournament contender, but as far as building a quality NET they let one slip away.
It’s a Q3 loss lol. By definition it’s a bad loss.

Princeton was 111 NET last year. 107 the year before.

Yes, they knocked off Rutgers, but they will lose games in the Ivy, and their NET will probably be similar.
I’d consider it a missed opportunity more than a bad loss. But it’s likely semantics. I don’t disagree that it’s the type of game the league needs upper tier teams to win.
Rhody15
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Rhody15 »

Yet...

It's still a bad loss in that they won't have many other chances to build their resume.

Which is not me saying they are a legit tournament contender, but as far as building a quality NET they let one slip away.

Yes, they knocked off Rutgers, but they will lose games in the Ivy, and their NET will probably be similar.
I’d consider it a missed opportunity more than a bad loss. But it’s likely semantics. I don’t disagree that it’s the type of game the league needs upper tier teams to win.
The fact Princeton is a game that an A10 team needs to win just shows how far the league has fallen.

5+ years ago this was a 8+ point win for the majority of the conference.

Now it’s a loss for an “eh” team in conference and considered a bad loss/missed opportunity.
Go Rhody
bigappleram
Ernie Calverley

Rhody15 wrote: 6 months ago

The fact Princeton is a game that an A10 team needs to win just shows how far the league has fallen.

Now it’s a loss for an “eh” team in conference and considered a bad loss/missed opportunity.
I don’t know 15. A Top 100 win has always been meaningful for the league. And based on Blueman’s data they have hovered right outside that last season and are likely a better team this year in a better version of the Ivy. So it’s conceivable they crack Top 100 if they do finish in 2nd. In that case to me it’s missed opportunity not bad loss. I will agree with you tho that the notion of an A10 team considered upper tier losing at home to an Ivy is a step down from where this league once was no matter how strong the Ivy or Princeton is this year.
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

Too early to tell, but there is so much parity especially among the mid-majors.

Talking about the Ivy, who would have thought that Penn would beat Villanova a top 5 BE team.
PeterRamTime
Frank Keaney

Unread post by PeterRamTime »

Princeton was a sweet 16 team last year. Duquesne is Duquesne. That’s not a bad loss.
Yet...

Most likely.

Would have put them in a great position to at least go 11-1 in non-con. Nebraska being the only really tough game left, if they slip up a couple more times their NET will suck and they'll provide no value.
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

Yet...

Most likely.

Would have put them in a great position to at least go 11-1 in non-con. Nebraska being the only really tough game left, if they slip up a couple more times their NET will suck and they'll provide no value.
Possibly, but Bradley won't exactly be a walk in the park for them.
Blue Man
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Blue Man »

I don’t know 15. A Top 100 win has always been meaningful for the league. And based on Blueman’s data they have hovered right outside that last season and are likely a better team this year in a better version of the Ivy. So it’s conceivable they crack Top 100 if they do finish in 2nd. In that case to me it’s missed opportunity not bad loss. I will agree with you tho that the notion of an A10 team considered upper tier losing at home to an Ivy is a step down from where this league once was no matter how strong the Ivy or Princeton is this year.
Unfortunately though, top 100 only matters for the fans. As a home game, 76-150 NET is Q3. That’s a Q3 loss.

Because of the reality of the Ivy, it’s going to be tough for Princeton to crack that top 75 and become a Q2.

Yale finished at 64 last year - so it’s definitely possible. And I would love if Princeton did get there because this conference can’t afford another bad OOC.

The eyeball test doesn’t help conference selections. Need to get more wins against good teams. Guess Rhody will have to do that.
If you say you’re a Rhody fan, I know you are my brother. For you have suffered as I have suffered.

Give to the Athletic Director's Fund

Give to Rhody's NIL
Jdrums#3
Sly Williams

Unread post by Jdrums#3 »

NYGFan_Section208 wrote: 6 months ago

I do now due to the injuries suffered by Dayton and how VCU has played. I figured both would finish higher than Duq before the season started.

That said, the conference looks like it is shaping up to have a lot of parity. Could be wide open for anyone if the get hot.
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

Unread post by RhowdyRam02 »

I'm not sure what we started at, but KenPom has the A10 as the 10th best conference right now, a good amount ahead of Conference USA and right behind the American Athletic.

Massey has us tied for 8th with the West Coast behind Mountain West but just ahead of the American.

Decent start to the season so far in out of conference play, let's see if we can keep it up
Take down the Robert Carothers banner and fix the concession stand lines
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

Huge loss for SLU (4-0) going into today's game against Vermont.
He has been their leading scorer for the first 4 games averaging 17 pts (49% FG, 37.5% 3PT)/ 5.5 rebs.
Another significant injury to a major impact player in the A10.
PeterRamTime
Frank Keaney

Jersey77 wrote: 6 months ago Huge loss for SLU (4-0) going into today's game against Vermont.
He has been their leading scorer for the first 4 games averaging 17 pts (49% FG, 37.5% 3PT)/ 5.5 rebs.
Wow

The basketball gods do not want the A-10 to succeed.
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

That’s going to be key for us avoiding that injury bug
PeterRamTime
Frank Keaney

reef wrote: 6 months ago That’s going to be key for us avoiding that injury bug
Hell we are already dealing with Bilau's injury, now Weston's and Green's ineligibility.
Rhody15
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Rhody15 »

Hell we are already dealing with Bilau's injury, now Weston's and Green's ineligibility.
Archie and co already knew Green probably couldn't play when we got him, also have known for a year Bilau would be out and recruited with that into consideration.. can't compare those situations to Weston/Parker as those were in season injuries.
Go Rhody
PeterRamTime
Frank Keaney

Archie and co already knew Green probably couldn't play when we got him, also have known for a year Bilau would be out and recruited with that into consideration.. can't compare those situations to Weston/Parker as those were in season injuries.
No we expected to be able to have him. We didn't go out to get someone we KNEW wouldn't be eligible. I'm actually a little critical of Archie for taking that risk.

No shit it's not the same as if House broke his foot, but it's not like we aren't comparably unlucky with three inactive, very capable players on our roster that make us better if they're playing.
Jdrums#3
Sly Williams

Jersey77 wrote: 6 months ago Huge loss for SLU (4-0) going into today's game against Vermont.
Shit show!

What is it with these injuries?! Oooph! Can’t catch a break.
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

Jdrums#3 wrote: 6 months ago
Shit show!

I'd argue the A10 is catching too many breaks
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

No we expected to be able to have him. We didn't go out to get someone we KNEW wouldn't be eligible. I'm actually a little critical of Archie for taking that risk.

No shit it's not the same as if House broke his foot, but it's not like we aren't comparably unlucky with three inactive, very capable players on our roster that make us better if they're playing.
If Archie really likes Green, I don’t blame him for taking the risk. He is building a program and if Green impressed him that much then take him anyway. The NCAA made it very clear in January how difficult they were going to make it for multi-transfers, so it shouldn’t have come as a shock. Besides transfers used to typically have to sit anyway.
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

Jersey77 wrote: 6 months ago

If Archie really likes Green, I don’t blame him for taking the risk. He is building a program and if Green impressed him that much then take him anyway. The NCAA made it very clear in January how difficult they were going to make it for multi-transfers, so it shouldn’t have come as a shock. Besides transfers used to typically have to sit anyway.
Agree 77 , hoping for the best and if it’s denied then we get him next season which is the year we are really going places
PeterRamTime
Frank Keaney

It may pay off for sure.

Still, a risk that wasn't really necessary when you enter the season without a position of need. I wouldn't have done it. I do believe they thought they'd have a good shot at getting him eligible. He SHOULD be. NCAA gonna make the man sit for practically two freaking years. It's bs.
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

Let’s get that waiver decided by Turkey Day or December 1st !
sevegny7
Art Stephenson

Unread post by sevegny7 »

Femi odukale just received a waiver to play this year for NMSU. Obviously a two time transfer from pitt to seton hall. URI recruited him last year out of pitt. He picked swton hall instead. Wonder if this is slight positive news for green? But who knows with ncaa
PeterRamTime
Frank Keaney

sevegny7 wrote: 6 months ago Femi odukale just received a waiver to play this year for NMSU. Obviously a two time transfer from pitt to seton hall. URI recruited him last year out of pitt. He picked swton hall instead. Wonder if this is slight positive news for green? But who knows with ncaa
Encouraging!

How could he possibly have a better reason than David?
sevegny7
Art Stephenson

Unread post by sevegny7 »

sevegny7 wrote: 6 months ago Femi odukale just received a waiver to play this year for NMSU. Obviously a two time transfer from pitt to seton hall. URI recruited him last year out of pitt. He picked swton hall instead. Wonder if this is slight positive news for green? But who knows with ncaa
Encouraging!

That's my thought too. Green had an injury excuse. Femi played alot for seton hall last year. And a decent amount for pitt two years ago.
PeterRamTime
Frank Keaney

sevegny7 wrote: 6 months ago
Encouraging!

That's my thought too. Green had an injury excuse. Femi played alot for seton hall last year. And a decent amount for pitt two years ago.
Just asked someone about Femi and he doesn't know exactly why. Said another player he knows about with the same situation got denied.

There's just no rhyme or reason.

Femi entered the portal on April 11th-Green entered on Jan 9th.

Green transferred to RI on May 3rd- Femi transferred on May 24th

Green played 9 games last year and Femi an entire season.
steveystuds06
Sly Williams

Unread post by steveystuds06 »

I totally agree, Jersey. If you can land a player who you think can make a big impact like David Green, you bring him in regardless of whether he plays this year or next year. It's not like we were going into this season with A10 championship and NCAA bid aspirations. It's hard enough to land talented players at Rhody, so you try to bring in as many talented players as you can during the rebuilding years... We saw what it's like getting the bottom of the barrel last year with recruits. It may end up being a blessing so our young bigs like Fuchs and Foumena develop playing big minutes this year, and we come into next season with Green and our younger guys a year older.
ATTITUDE IS EVERYTHING
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

Face it nobody knows what the NCAA aid going to do

Just wait for the announcement and pray it’s positive
Jdrums#3
Sly Williams

RhowdyRam02 wrote: 6 months ago
Shit show!

I'd argue the A10 is catching too many breaks
Do you mean as in broken bones? If so, excellent twist on words!
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

Yup, that's what I meant
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

RhowdyRam02 wrote: 6 months ago Yup, that's what I meant
I thought you did also, that was very good.
bigappleram
Ernie Calverley

If the NCAA enforces the must sit rule for 2x transfers in long run it will be a good thing for Rhody and A10. Even if it means we don’t get Green eligible this season.
Blue Man
Tyson Wheeler

bigappleram wrote: 6 months ago If the NCAA enforces the must sit rule for 2x transfers in long run it will be a good thing for Rhody and A10. Even if it means we don’t get Green eligible this season.
Then someone needs to explain how Femi Odukale got a waiver approved after playing a full season. Not like he’s from New Mexico.

I was in total agreement with you until this morning. Now Rhody should win their appeal based on this.
If you say you’re a Rhody fan, I know you are my brother. For you have suffered as I have suffered.

Give to Rhody's NIL
theblueram
Frank Keaney

Unread post by theblueram »

Better day today as the A10 goes 4-1. And the one loss by us is not a bad loss.
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

Dayton plays #6 Ranked Houston Sunday Night
8:30pm ESPN

Games like this represent opportunities to move the conference NET needle. Can Dayton win it?
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

The 2 freshmen frontcourt players for undefeated GW are looking pretty good so far, although they haven't faced any stiff competition yet. So, we will see how well they do down the road.

(F)Garret Johnson averaging 17 pts/ 8 rebs.
(F)Darren Buchanan averaging 10.5 pts/ 5 rebs.

Both our freshmen bigs are a bit raw but I am still very optimistic and excited about their upside/potential.
As expected, they did struggle against tougher bigs that had more experience.
But they will continue to learn and improve.
Jdrums#3
Sly Williams

Jersey77 wrote: 6 months ago The 2 freshmen frontcourt players for undefeated GW are looking pretty good so far, although they haven't faced any stiff competition yet. So, we will see how well they do down the road.

Both our freshmen bigs are a bit raw but I am still very optimistic and excited about their upside/potential.
Good intel, Jersey.

I am looking forward to our game with GW. Should be interesting - how do our young bigs perform vs their young bigs.
Rhody15
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Rhody15 »

Jersey77 wrote: 6 months ago The 2 freshmen frontcourt players for undefeated GW are looking pretty good so far, although they haven't faced any stiff competition yet. So, we will see how well they do down the road.

Good intel, Jersey.

I am looking forward to our game with GW. Should be interesting - how do our young bigs perform vs their young bigs.
I was surprised how low they were picked preseason.

Bishop is a flat out stud and one of best guards in the conference, Edwards, ex K St commit, very good too.

Both All A10 caliber.

Buchanan I believe was a V Tech commit who we were all involved with (I think?).

Their other starting guard, freshman Trey Autry, I know we recruited. He’s also producing for them.
Go Rhody
Jdrums#3
Sly Williams

Good intel, Jersey.

Bishop is a flat out stud and one of best guards in the conference, Edwards, ex K St commit, very good too.

Both All A10 caliber.

Buchanan I believe was a V Tech commit who we were all involved with (I think?).

Their other starting guard, freshman Trey Autry, I know we recruited. He’s also producing for them.
I thought we were playing them at home. I had to check the schedule and we play them at GW. Tough A10 road game.
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

Good intel, Jersey.

Both All A10 caliber.

I thought we were playing them at home. I had to check the schedule and we play them at GW. Tough A10 road game.
GW is better than many thought.
They have 4 freshmen all making an impact and averaging over 20 minutes.

I am thinking about going down to that game.
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

So based on about 5 games of non conference action , who do you guys think are the 14th and 15th teams in the conference?
Jdrums#3
Sly Williams

reef wrote: 6 months ago So based on about 5 games of non conference action , who do you guys think are the 14th and 15th teams in the conference?
Is it possible everyone can finish 9-9 ?
Blue Man
Tyson Wheeler

reef wrote: 6 months ago So based on about 5 games of non conference action , who do you guys think are the 14th and 15th teams in the conference?
Is it possible everyone can finish 9-9 ?
Loyola.

Give to Rhody's NIL
rhodysurf
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by rhodysurf »

Fordham and loyola
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

Recap of injuries already significantly impacting A10 teams:

Malachi Smith (Dayton)- Starting PG, 23-24 all-conference selection (pre-season).
Sincere Parker (SLU)- Team's leading scorer averaging 17 pts/ 5.5 rebs.
Sean Bairstow (VCU)- Transfer from Utah State, double-digit scorer, 23-24 all-conference selection (pre-season).
Philip Alston (Loyola)- Leading scorer and rebounder from last season, 23-24 all-conference selection (pre-season).
section(105)
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by section(105) »

rhodysurf wrote: 6 months ago
Fordham and loyola

Disappointed to say URI, after games thus far 13th.
Ram logo via Grist 1938
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

section(105) wrote: 6 months ago
rhodysurf wrote: 6 months ago
Fordham and loyola

Disappointed to say URI, after games thus far 13th.
Way too early, doesn’t mean anything until conference play. No team is looking good for an at-large.