A10 Outlook for 2022-23

Talk about the men's team, upcoming opponents and news from around college hoop.
steveystuds06
Sly Williams

Re: A10 Outlook for 2022-23

Unread post by steveystuds06 »

SGreenwell wrote: 1 year ago It's also still the preseason. Pretty much every team has lost X seniors or Y transfers, and replaced them with the unknown variables of freshmen and transfers. We're optimistic about URI being better, because we didn't like the Mitchells anyway, but as a reminder there were people positive we'd be better in 2021-22 because we wouldn't have that dastardly Fatts Russell hogging the ball all the time. Unless you're only replacing one or two spots, I think it's hard to tell how the pieces are going to fit, and you might as well use last season's results as a barometer vs. anything else.
I'll be honest. With how our frontcourt looks now, I'd rather have the twins. That's probably an unpopular opinion.
ATTITUDE IS EVERYTHING
theblueram
Frank Keaney

Unread post by theblueram »

We shall see on Loyola. MVC had 3 teams besides Loyola NET under 100. A10 in a crappy year had 6 teams. MVC had 4 teams over 200 NET and A10 had 3.
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by Billyboy78 »

steveystuds06 wrote: 1 year ago
SGreenwell wrote: 1 year ago It's also still the preseason. Pretty much every team has lost X seniors or Y transfers, and replaced them with the unknown variables of freshmen and transfers. We're optimistic about URI being better, because we didn't like the Mitchells anyway, but as a reminder there were people positive we'd be better in 2021-22 because we wouldn't have that dastardly Fatts Russell hogging the ball all the time. Unless you're only replacing one or two spots, I think it's hard to tell how the pieces are going to fit, and you might as well use last season's results as a barometer vs. anything else.
I'll be honest. With how our frontcourt looks now, I'd rather have the twins. That's probably an unpopular opinion.
I couldn't handle watching them for another year. Seemingly, Archie didn't want them either.
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

I still think Loyola finishes in the 3-5 range

My top 4
1 Dayton
2 St Louis
3 VCU
4 Loyola
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

Billyboy78 wrote: 1 year ago
I couldn't handle watching them for another year. Seemingly, Archie didn't want them either.
Agree , I’d sacrifice a couple wins to get them out of town , this year is all about growth for the future
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

Preseason AP Top 25

1. North Carolina (47)
2. Gonzaga (12)
3. Houston (1)
4. Kentucky (2)
T5. Baylor
T5. Kansas
7. Duke
8. UCLA
9. Creighton
10. Arkansas
11. Tennessee
12. Texas
13. Indiana
14. TCU
15. Auburn
16. Villanova
17. Arizona
18. Virginia
19. San Diego State
20. Alabama
21. Oregon
22. Michigan
23. Illinois
24. Dayton
25. Texas Tech

Others receiving votes: Texas A&M 112, UConn 101, Miami 66, Purdue 56, Saint Louis 36, Michigan State 35, Florida State 32, Xavier 29, Wyoming 25, Ohio State 23, Iowa 13, Rutgers 4, USC 3, Florida 3, Toledo 1, UAB 1, Memphis 1, Virginia Tech 1, Notre Dame 1.
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Jersey77 »

ramster wrote: 1 year ago
Preseason AP Top 25

1. North Carolina (47)
2. Gonzaga (12)
3. Houston (1)
4. Kentucky (2)
T5. Baylor
T5. Kansas
7. Duke
8. UCLA
9. Creighton
10. Arkansas
11. Tennessee
12. Texas
13. Indiana
14. TCU
15. Auburn
16. Villanova
17. Arizona
18. Virginia
19. San Diego State
20. Alabama
21. Oregon
22. Michigan
23. Illinois
24. Dayton
25. Texas Tech

Others receiving votes: Texas A&M 112, UConn 101, Miami 66, Purdue 56, Saint Louis 36, Michigan State 35, Florida State 32, Xavier 29, Wyoming 25, Ohio State 23, Iowa 13, Rutgers 4, USC 3, Florida 3, Toledo 1, UAB 1, Memphis 1, Virginia Tech 1, Notre Dame 1.
No B10 schools in the top ten.

I still feel the NCAA committee should not allow teams with a losiing conference record to get an at-large bid.
The B10 was undeserving of this to the detriment of the mid-majors.
Last edited by Jersey77 1 year ago, edited 1 time in total.
Rhody72
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Rhody72 »

Each of the twins would have been more successful players if they went to different schools. I do not believe that this is always the case for twins. Also, their mother's involvement impeded their development.

On paper, it would appear that URI would be a better team with the twins. But, their presence would have hurt recruitment, culture and development within the program. I doubt their presence would have made a difference this year in wins.
NCAAs or Bust!
RF1
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by RF1 »

The Mitchell twins were at URI for two years. The program had a losing record in both of these seasons.

2020-21 10-15 (A-10 10th seed)
2021-22 15-16 (A-10 11th seed)
Totals 25-31
Blue Man
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Blue Man »

I'd rather have you slam my nuts in a car door before the next game.

Archie didn't want them without knowing who else was out there. It's not like he said "Bilau/Tchikou/Foumena" will all play over you. They were gone before we recruited. He just said - eh...you're probably not going to like my system, good luck.
If you say you’re a Rhody fan, I know you are my brother. For you have suffered as I have suffered.

Give to the Athletic Director's Fund

Give to Rhody's NIL
steveystuds06
Sly Williams

There is a reason a top 10 team brought them on. I love what we brought in for guards so far. I love that we landed a stud wing in Weston. I expected Archie to land one big that would make an immediate impact. Our frontcourt is a glaring weakness on this team right now. I think about how good the twins could be under better coaching, and you put them next to Bray, and we could have been dangerous this year. I agree they are a huge headache and cancer, so it's probably for the best, but our lack of frontcourt depth scares me.
ATTITUDE IS EVERYTHING
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

steveystuds06 wrote: 1 year ago There is a reason a top 10 team brought them on. I love what we brought in for guards so far. I love that we landed a stud wing in Weston. I expected Archie to land one big that would make an immediate impact. Our frontcourt is a glaring weakness on this team right now. I think about how good the twins could be under better coaching, and you put them next to Bray, and we could have been dangerous this year. I agree they are a huge headache and cancer, so it's probably for the best, but our lack of frontcourt depth scares me.
As soon as one of the twins got their first tech, Archie would have put his ass on the bench. And eventually the other twin would also get a tech and his ass would be on the bench. They'd be wasting space here.
4Diffs
Jimmy Baron

Unread post by 4Diffs »

steveystuds06 wrote: 1 year ago There is a reason a top 10 team brought them on. I love what we brought in for guards so far. I love that we landed a stud wing in Weston. I expected Archie to land one big that would make an immediate impact. Our frontcourt is a glaring weakness on this team right now. I think about how good the twins could be under better coaching, and you put them next to Bray, and we could have been dangerous this year. I agree they are a huge headache and cancer, so it's probably for the best, but our lack of frontcourt depth scares me.
The Twins would have been terrible for Bray's game just like they were for Ish and any other player whose strength is driving to the basket. I said this last year at the Blue / White scrimmage that Cox had a team that would have been great in the early 80's when there was no three point line. The twins just cluttered up the paint on the offensive end and there was no space around the basket for anybody else. Looking forward to a more open floor with someone who is a threat from the three point line (I am looking at you Rory Stewart). Last years basketball was tough to watch and this year it should be a much more pleasant experience to watch the team play. Not sure how much better they will be, will find that out.

They will be missed on the defensive end, no question there. Not sure we have much rim protection now with the injuries to Bilau and Foumena not playing. But I am looking forward to watching better basketball. Have no idea why Mussleman took both of them. If there overseas tour is any indication of playing time, it does not look like either will play much. It may be a decision that both the Twins and Arkansas may regret.
Rhody15
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Rhody15 »

Twins were/are absolute headaches, were pretty awful to watch, and had terrible attitudes.

That being said, strictly talent wise, they’re leaps and bounds better than what we have now.

….I still wouldn’t want them here this year. Would be an absolute waste, stunt the growth of other long term pieces, and still shoot 30 footers.

When they left, it was very clear the twins had ZERO interest in adapting their game for Archie, seeing how they released a statement saying (and I’m paraphrasing) that they needed to find another program that fits their style of play.
Go Rhody
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Jersey77 »

Stevey I do share your concern for our frontcourt.
It's probably the worst (on paper) in the conference or close to it, at least for now.
KevanBoyles
Carlton Owens

Unread post by KevanBoyles »

The answer will be in the pudding. Let's see what they do at Arkansas with Mussleman. I, for one, am glad they are gone.
Rhody15
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Rhody15 »

KevanBoyles wrote: 1 year ago The answer will be in the pudding. Let's see what they do at Arkansas with Mussleman. I, for one, am glad they are gone.
I said this when they first committed, I’m guessing they don’t last the season on the team for one reason or another.
Go Rhody
steveystuds06
Sly Williams

4Diffs wrote: 1 year ago
The Twins would have been terrible for Bray's game just like they were for Ish and any other player whose strength is driving to the basket. I said this last year at the Blue / White scrimmage that Cox had a team that would have been great in the early 80's when there was no three point line. The twins just cluttered up the paint on the offensive end and there was no space around the basket for anybody else. Looking forward to a more open floor with someone who is a threat from the three point line (I am looking at you Rory Stewart). Last years basketball was tough to watch and this year it should be a much more pleasant experience to watch the team play. Not sure how much better they will be, will find that out.

They will be missed on the defensive end, no question there. Not sure we have much rim protection now with the injuries to Bilau and Foumena not playing. But I am looking forward to watching better basketball. Have no idea why Mussleman took both of them. If there overseas tour is any indication of playing time, it does not look like either will play much. It may be a decision that both the Twins and Arkansas may regret.
Well ya, if they were coached like they were under Cox, they would be a bad fit for any guard, including Bray. Archie wouldn't play two bigs simultaneously that clog the paint. I think Makhi would have been a better fit under Archie's system as he had a little range and could hit a jumper. The only way they would have worked is if they bought into what Archie wanted to do, and that's probably why they left. As a fanbase, we tend to blame everything on the players that are gone, and the new ones are all saviors. People said Toppin wouldn't be a loss, and Martin would be an upgrade from Tyrese. Don't forget that everything was Fatts fault as well. I'm not saying the twins would be my top choice; far from it. But we have the worst frontcourt in the A10. We just got stomped by Yale. I don't have any expectations for this season, but the one big I was excited about is now redshirting for the year.

I hate to sound negative and at the end of the day, I know Archie will figure it out.
ATTITUDE IS EVERYTHING
ElmCityRhody
Sly Williams

Unread post by ElmCityRhody »

Oh the doom and gloom is depressing

NO DOUBT
section(105)
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by section(105) »

The M&Ms are gone, stink out of the building, gonna be a run at the top? Probably not, I can deal with all that. Looking forward to slow steady growth in the program………Go Rhody
Ram logo via Grist 1938
Rhody15
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Rhody15 »

ElmCityRhody wrote: 1 year ago Oh the doom and gloom is depressing

NO DOUBT
You’re really gonna be like this all year huh?

Instead of just saying “NO DOUBT,” all the time, in your opinion, what actually makes you believe we’ll be playing in meaningful, top 4 A10 seed, NCAA bubble games late in the season?

Like what makes you believe that? You really haven’t said why in any of your posts.
Last edited by Rhody15 1 year ago, edited 1 time in total.
Go Rhody
theblueram
Frank Keaney

Slow steady growth? Yeah count me out of that. I think Arch wouldn't be excited with that either.
Rhody15
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Rhody15 »

theblueram wrote: 1 year ago Slow steady growth? Yeah count me out of that. I think Arch wouldn't be excited with that either.
Archie literally said something along those lines at the press conference.
Go Rhody
theblueram
Frank Keaney

Rhody15 wrote: 1 year ago
theblueram wrote: 1 year ago Slow steady growth? Yeah count me out of that. I think Arch wouldn't be excited with that either.
No he didn't. He said it will be hard. It will take time. But we expect to win now. Dan had this place going nuts with the EC, Terrell and Hassan recruits. We knew we were going to be good. I expect the same.
steveystuds06
Sly Williams

Rhody72 wrote: 1 year ago Among the top 7 predicted, URI was the most disappointing finishing 4 slots lower. This is what happens when you can't recruit because the AD plans on firing the coach.
By the way, 72. You've been pretty negative about Thorr on here. Archie said he wasn't interested in the Rhody job during the offseason in this interview. Guess who convinced him? Thorr. If Thorr is not our AD, Archie Miller is not our head coach. He's an incredible person and an incredible AD. We are lucky to have him.

ATTITUDE IS EVERYTHING
steveystuds06
Sly Williams

theblueram wrote: 1 year ago
No he didn't. He said it will be hard. It will take time. But we expect to win now. Dan had this place going nuts with the EC, Terrell and Hassan recruits. We knew we were going to be good. I expect the same.
15 is right. He did say it would take some time, and we will be good when we're good in the press conference.

More recently, he said that due to the NIL and transfers, the speed at which people want you to be good is more realistic in this day and age. He said you can build quicker now. He wants to continue developing players, but he knows that you can land a program changer every year with the way the transfer portal works, and it's added another dimension to recruiting.
ATTITUDE IS EVERYTHING
Rhody15
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Rhody15 »

“A slow steady growth” and “it will take time” is basically the same exact thing.

We all expect to be good yes, but it will take time, and Archie also used everyone’s favorite phrase, a “process.”
Go Rhody
ElmCityRhody
Sly Williams

NO DOUBT

Instead of just saying “NO DOUBT,” all the time, in your opinion, what actually makes you believe we’ll be playing in meaningful, top 4 A10 seed, NCAA bubble games late in the season?

Like what makes you believe that? You really haven’t said why in any of your posts.

Limoncello
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

Rhody72 wrote: 1 year ago Among the top 7 predicted, URI was the most disappointing finishing 4 slots lower. This is what happens when you can't recruit because the AD plans on firing the coach.
By the way, 72. You've been pretty negative about Thorr on here. Archie said he wasn't interested in the Rhody job during the offseason in this interview. Guess who convinced him? Thorr. If Thorr is not our AD, Archie Miller is not our head coach. He's an incredible person and an incredible AD. We are lucky to have him.

Correct Stevey,
And if Thorr is not our AD Tammi Reiss is HC at Virginia right now.
section(105)
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by section(105) »

I think we all relate and go back to the good old days of our own great Rhody hoops experiences and somehow think a couple of changes in coaches and eras will bring us back to the glory days. Quick fixes and immediate results to jump tiers from the immediate recent past are just not a micro wave meal deal…….
Ram logo via Grist 1938
Rhody72
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Rhody72 »

I have been negative when he's screwed up and positive he has done well. His decisions to hire of Cox in the first place as well as his extending of Cox without negotiating a URI-friendly buy-out then firing him and paying out an extra year were abysmal. I believe Archie was a good hire, I've said so and I won't criticize him if Archie doesn't work out. I want a top basketball program with sustainability. I believe the basketball practice facility is only an upgrade to average, and I don't rave about routine maintenance such as refinishing the court. Thorr is average as an AD, if he was more Xavier would have hired him. I call balls balls and strikes strikes.
NCAAs or Bust!
ElmCityRhody
Sly Williams

me vs the Debbie downers

Rhody15
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Rhody15 »

ElmCityRhody wrote: 1 year ago

NO DOUBT

Limoncello

So you’re just a troll, got it.
Go Rhody
Blue Man
Tyson Wheeler

Rhody72 wrote: 1 year ago
I have been negative when he's screwed up and positive he has done well. His decisions to hire of Cox in the first place as well as his extending of Cox without negotiating a URI-friendly buy-out then firing him and paying out an extra year were abysmal. I believe Archie was a good hire, I've said so and I won't criticize him if Archie doesn't work out. I want a top basketball program with sustainability. I believe the basketball practice facility is only an upgrade to average, and I don't rave about routine maintenance such as refinishing the court. Thorr is average as an AD, if he was more Xavier would have hired him. I call balls balls and strikes strikes.
You suck so much.

You speak with such confidence about things you have literally no idea.

If you’re an umpire, you’re another reason we need robot umps.

Your management of people at McDonalds is why there are automated cashiers.

You’re like the most interesting man in the world if everything he did was lame, wrong, or bad.

We’re coming into actual basketball now, please hush down and let the adults talk.
If you say you’re a Rhody fan, I know you are my brother. For you have suffered as I have suffered.

Give to Rhody's NIL
ace
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by ace »

I like Thorr a lot. I think he’s good at his job and a quality person. He was pretty persuasive when he reached out to Archie and in their follow-up conversations. But let’s be honest- the sell was in what resources the school and others were finally able to provide. I don’t mean to downplay Thorr’s contributions here, he was a good messenger and certainly played a role in bringing the package together, but he also had a pretty great message to pass along to Archie.

As a coach, you never want to get desperate. Baron got desperate and brought in some guys that tanked the program on and off the court. Cox got desperate and had to make some compromises and ignore some red flags that one would rather not. Everybody loved the twins’ mom when she slamming Providence or hyping Rhody on social media and the potential of the twins, but the three of them and ALL they brought with them, good and bad, were always a packaged deal. Archie, at this point in his Rhody tenure, doesn’t have to deal with any headaches he doesn’t want to.
RhodyKyle
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by RhodyKyle »

Blue Man wrote: 1 year ago
You suck so much.

You’re like the most interesting man in the world if everything he did was lame, wrong, or bad.

We’re coming into actual basketball now, please hush down and let the adults talk.
I thought we don't feed trolls around here?
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

RhodyKyle wrote: 1 year ago
You suck so much.

He gave him a full coarse meal!!
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

Unread post by RhowdyRam02 »

You call balls balls and strikes strikes? I guess that makes you the Angel Hernandez of the message board
Take down the Robert Carothers banner and fix the concession stand lines
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

Unread post by RhowdyRam02 »

Right, but we were going nuts for EC and Hassan in year 2 and Terrell and Garrett in year 3. I would argue Archie already has us about one year ahead of that rebuild.

I said when he was hired a realistic expectation for Archie would be year 1 would look like Hurley's second year, year 2 would look like the NIT season/first NCAA year, and year 3 and beyond should go from there. While personally offensive to ECR I've seen nothing to think I'm off and I can't wait for things to really get started this year
Take down the Robert Carothers banner and fix the concession stand lines
Blue Man
Tyson Wheeler

You suck so much.

Yeah I know. He’s good. He got me.

But there is the off chance that this isn’t an actual troll and is a confused, moronic south county bumpkin. I am beginning to assume that since they’re still here on the board and the mods haven’t punted 72 off yet. They’re usually pretty good about taking out the trash, which is why this board is the best in college basketball.

Give to Rhody's NIL
Blue Man
Tyson Wheeler

4Diffs wrote: 1 year ago

Well ya, if they were coached like they were under Cox, they would be a bad fit for any guard, including Bray. Archie wouldn't play two bigs simultaneously that clog the paint. I think Makhi would have been a better fit under Archie's system as he had a little range and could hit a jumper. The only way they would have worked is if they bought into what Archie wanted to do, and that's probably why they left. As a fanbase, we tend to blame everything on the players that are gone, and the new ones are all saviors. People said Toppin wouldn't be a loss, and Martin would be an upgrade from Tyrese. Don't forget that everything was Fatts fault as well. I'm not saying the twins would be my top choice; far from it. But we have the worst frontcourt in the A10. We just got stomped by Yale. I don't have any expectations for this season, but the one big I was excited about is now redshirting for the year.

I hate to sound negative and at the end of the day, I know Archie will figure it out.
You know I agree with the sentiment about how they were coached under Cox. In a perfect world - these kids (and their mom) would accept coaching, understand that they play basically the same position and can't really play together, and understand that they'd need to adjust their style of game to survive in today's college basketball.

Especially on a team who has guards that need to get downhill and to the rim - they'd have to learn they can't just stand in one spot and wait for the ball. They'd have to think and move and actually become basketball players instead of tall guys who take up space.

But if I had wheels I'd be a wagon.

These kids are now on their 3rd collegiate program. They ran their way out of town in Maryland. Literally couldn't get on anywhere because of their demands so they settled for URI with a desperate coach who would let them do what they wanted to fill out his roster with highly rated talent.

Honestly, they made the last 2 teams incredibly hateable - whether it was their behavior, incredibly stupid fouls 30 feet from the basket, tantrums, technicals, missing double digit layups or freethrows, or just the way their coach never disciplined them for any of it. Maybe it was Cox, but they were never talented enough to deal with all the baggage. I think we all know better now.

Give to Rhody's NIL
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

But there is the off chance that this isn’t an actual troll and is a confused, moronic south county bumpkin. I am beginning to assume that since they’re still here on the board and the mods haven’t punted 72 off yet. They’re usually pretty good about taking out the trash, which is why this board is the best in college basketball.
I’ll go with South County Bumpkin Category for $600
Last edited by ramster 1 year ago, edited 1 time in total.
ElmCityRhody
Sly Williams

Limoncello

nope ... just a guy who believes in my team and how we will be successful this year

don't be a hater - we are all on the same team here in rooting for our RAMS !
steveystuds06
Sly Williams

Limoncello

nope ... just a guy who believes in my team and how we will be successful this year

I believe in Archie. But if you're gonna call me a debbie downer because I'm worried about the frontcourt right now I'd love to hear your thoughts about why everything is going to be perfect this season. Who do you think on the frontcourt will make a big impact?
ATTITUDE IS EVERYTHING
Bos8
Tom Garrick

Unread post by Bos8 »

Must have missed it when it happened, but his chirp in the Cayman Classic thread got a chuckle out of me. Blueman was telling people about the 3K he saved by booking the trip through the hotel, and '72 chimes in to "Put your money where your opinions are, donate it to the Athletic Director's Fund".
Blue Man
Tyson Wheeler

Bos8 wrote: 1 year ago

Must have missed it when it happened, but his chirp in the Cayman Classic thread got a chuckle out of me. Blueman was telling people about the 3K he saved by booking the trip through the hotel, and '72 chimes in to "Put your money where your opinions are, donate it to the Athletic Director's Fund".
Tip of the cap, it did get a laugh out of me.

Give to Rhody's NIL
theblueram
Frank Keaney

Isn't the correct term Swamp Yankee rather than bumpkin?
ElmCityRhody
Sly Williams

I believe in Archie. But if you're gonna call me a debbie downer because I'm worried about the frontcourt right now I'd love to hear your thoughts about why everything is going to be perfect this season. Who do you think on the frontcourt will make a big impact?

perfect ?

nothing is perfect

i simply believe we will in the relevant as the season progresses to the finish line

why do you hate so much ?

my goodness.. move on.. i have faith we will be relevant

if i am wrong then so be it but that is my belief going into this season

i got no x's and o's to backup anything... and besides..the game isn't played on paper

give it a rest.. you believe what you want to believe in and i will believe what i want to believe in
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Check out where this clown picked us.

Tristan Freeman
@hoopsnut351
My preseason Atlantic 10 power rankings for 2022-23:

1. Saint Louis
2. Dayton
3. VCU
4. George Mason
5. Davidson
6. Loyola-Chicago
7. Richmond
8. UMass
9. Fordham
10. Duquesne
11. St. Bonaventure
12. George Washington
13. St. Joe's
14. La Salle

I predict 3 teams make the NCAAT.
ElmCityRhody
Sly Williams

Billyboy78 wrote: 1 year ago Check out where this clown picked us.

Tristan Freeman
@hoopsnut351
My preseason Atlantic 10 power rankings for 2022-23:

1. Saint Louis
2. Dayton
3. VCU
4. George Mason
5. Davidson
6. Loyola-Chicago
7. Richmond
8. UMass
9. Fordham
10. Duquesne
11. St. Bonaventure
12. George Washington
13. St. Joe's
14. La Salle

I predict 3 teams make the NCAAT.
They are running scared of ECR and removed their #9/10 prediction thinking no one would notice 🤷🏻‍♂️