Covid-19 Effect on College Basketball & Other Sports

Talk about the men's team, upcoming opponents and news from around college hoop.
Rhodymob05
Tyson Wheeler

Re: Covid-19 Effect on College Basketball & Other Sports

Unread post by Rhodymob05 »

This is insane. Just play with safety precautions.
GO RAMS
JimSidd
Art Stephenson

Unread post by JimSidd »

I think I posted something similar to the following a while back. While I like attending games in person, I will gladly give it up for a year so that a college basketball season can be played in a safer environment.
I get it: playing with no fans stinks. The hope is that it’s just for one season, though. Pump in some crowd noise and move on. The bubble scenario is impractical for every conference for the entire season, but keeping fans away should make things safer.
I have enjoyed the NBA and NHL games I’ve watched. I think the pumped in noise helps and they keep the camera shots pretty tight, so at times, I forget there are no fans.
If they do allow fans, I hope they prioritize students.
rhodylaw
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by rhodylaw »

JimSidd wrote: 3 years ago I think I posted something similar to the following a while back. While I like attending games in person, I will gladly give it up for a year so that a college basketball season can be played in a safer environment.
I get it: playing with no fans stinks. The hope is that it’s just for one season, though. Pump in some crowd noise and move on. The bubble scenario is impractical for every conference for the entire season, but keeping fans away should make things safer.
I have enjoyed the NBA and NHL games I’ve watched. I think the pumped in noise helps and they keep the camera shots pretty tight, so at times, I forget there are no fans.
I think there will be a "bubble" for some of the non-conference tournaments. I don't see teams flying to Jamaica or the carribean for some of those early season tournaments so I would not be surprised to see more of the tournaments combining or adding teams to make it a little more worth the trip. If every team that is playing this year could get 5 or 6 non-conference games in a bubble before thanksgiving, then take a week off to start the rest of non-conference schedule I think something like that is completely workable.
JimSidd
Art Stephenson

Unread post by JimSidd »

rhodylaw wrote: 3 years ago
JimSidd wrote: 3 years ago I think I posted something similar to the following a while back. While I like attending games in person, I will gladly give it up for a year so that a college basketball season can be played in a safer environment.
I think there will be a "bubble" for some of the non-conference tournaments. I don't see teams flying to Jamaica or the carribean for some of those early season tournaments so I would not be surprised to see more of the tournaments combining or adding teams to make it a little more worth the trip. If every team that is playing this year could get 5 or 6 non-conference games in a bubble before thanksgiving, then take a week off to start the rest of non-conference schedule I think something like that is completely workable.
Selfishly, I’m hoping that they will allow some fans at conference games at the RC this season: at least some students. My daughters are both entering their last year. One is a Ramette and I would like to see her get a chance to cheer at games. She already lost out on the A10 tournament. I think my other daughter likes sports more. I think she has only missed a couple of home games in her three years so far.
If there are no fans allowed, why would they have Ramettes and cheerleaders and would they even want to do it? My daughter isn’t even mad or sad at this point: it’s more like a resignation that she could be done.
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

Rhodymob05
Tyson Wheeler

GO RAMS
CHICO 78
Jimmy Baron

Unread post by CHICO 78 »

Don't look to Trump for science info. Not from a man who thinks research should be conducted to see if you inject a toxin (bleach , Lysol) into your veins it will cure Covid. Maybe he CDC should have thought about the fact that many, many people are to stupid to understand the concept of Comorbidity when they put out those numbers. Here's the science below. Some of you need to read this VERY SLOWLY SO YOU WILL UNDERSTAND IT!!!

White House coronavirus advisor Dr. Anthony Fauci debunked online theories promoted by President Donald Trump that the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention has changed its guidance for tallying coronavirus deaths, showing a fraction of total Covid-19 fatalities.

On Sunday, Twitter removed a post retweeted by Trump that claimed the CDC had "quietly" updated its guidance to indicate only 6% of the country's coronavirus death toll — roughly 9,000 deaths — was actually caused by the virus, according to a
The tweet said the remaining 94% had "other serious illnesses."
Fauci told the ABC program "Good Morning America" on Tuesday that the CDC guidance, last updated on Aug. 26, indicates that of the people who have died from the virus, "a certain percentage of them had nothing else but just Covid." However, people with underlying illnesses also die from Covid-19, he said.
"That does not mean that someone who has hypertension or diabetes who dies of Covid didn't die of Covid-19. They did," Fauci, director of the National Institute of Allergy and Infectious Diseases, told the program. "So the numbers you've been hearing -- there are 180,000-plus deaths -- are real deaths from Covid-19. Let (there) not be any confusion about that."
"It's not 9,000 deaths from Covid-19, it's 180-plus-thousand deaths," Fauci said.
[/b]
steviep123
Sly Williams

Unread post by steviep123 »

ramster wrote: 3 years ago
The fact that Trump is looking to make it happen pretty much tells you what a bad idea it is.
Bleed Keaney Blue!

”I'm not coming there to be in the top 3 of the Atlantic 10. I'm coming to win the damn thing!”
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by Billyboy78 »

steviep123 wrote: 3 years ago
The fact that Trump is looking to make it happen pretty much tells you what a bad idea it is.
Trump wants my wife to go back in the schoolroom with special needs 3 and 4 years olds who won't possibly able to wear masks. My wife is a cancer survivor. If she gets COVID, she'll most likely die. I fucking hate that asshole.
PeterRamTime
Frank Keaney

Unread post by PeterRamTime »

Glad the Big Ten is coming to their senses.
DeanDome88
Tom Garrick

Unread post by DeanDome88 »

Billyboy78 wrote: 3 years ago
steviep123 wrote: 3 years ago
Trump wants my wife to go back in the schoolroom with special needs 3 and 4 years olds who won't possibly able to wear masks. My wife is a cancer survivor. If she gets COVID, she'll most likely die. I fucking hate that asshole.
There has to be a way to match up educators who need to teach remotely with students who also will need to learn remotely because of health concerns. I doubt that special needs 3 year olds are a fit for remote learning but other students will be. Perhaps if people get really flexible in their thinking they can come up with decent solutions. I hope things work out for your family.
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

Unread post by TruePoint »

Deleted a video someone posted spreading misinformation about COVID. We let this topic live because obviously COVID talk has been dominating everything and there has been some crossover with sports. But this is not going to turn into a clearinghouse for misinformation that could contribute to putting people’s lives at risk or endanger public health. Obviously I cannot monitor or curate the entire internet, so feel free to poison your brains somewhere else if that’s what you’re really into. But it’s not going to be what goes on here, and since I can’t monitor this thing 24/7 if people can’t follow the rules the thread will be shut down for everyone.
"If you build it, they will come." --Us, circa 2011
PeterRamTime
Frank Keaney

Unread post by PeterRamTime »

TruePoint wrote: 3 years ago Deleted a video someone posted spreading misinformation about COVID. We let this topic live because obviously COVID talk has been dominating everything and there has been some crossover with sports. But this is not going to turn into a clearinghouse for misinformation that could contribute to putting people’s lives at risk or endanger public health. Obviously I cannot monitor or curate the entire internet, so feel free to poison your brains somewhere else if that’s what you’re really into. But it’s not going to be what goes on here, and since I can’t monitor this thing 24/7 if people can’t follow the rules the thread will be shut down for everyone.
How was it misinformation exactly?

It's satire.

With actual data and I doubt it will change people's minds and cause anyone with significant comorbidities stumble into a covid pit and die.
Rhodymob05
Tyson Wheeler

Its not Trump alone folks. Its Fauci, CDC, and now Raimondo, all backed by science that agrees with students going back to school. College Football is already being played. I think theres a way to get it done saftely. BIG10 should be playing.
GO RAMS
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

Unread post by NYGFan_Section208 »

I'm a couple pages behind, but before I start responding...is this the new politics thread? I mean. are we going there again?
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

Imagine Ohio State And Penn State Players, Families of Players and Fans Sitting at home while the Governors of Ohio and a Pennsylvania has now given the ok for High School Football to be played? How does Warren explain that?

Big10 pulled the plug too soon. Warren thought the ACC would follow but it didn’t happen.
Big12, ACC, SEC, Conference USA, American Athletic Conference, Sunbelt are all playing this fall.

From the attached article....
Warren has drawn backlash for his messaging around the Big Ten calling off its games, and seeing groups of players and parents start petitions, lawsuits and visit the conference’s headquarters to talk with Warren. The splintered movement was complicated when the governors of Ohio and Pennsylvania said their states could start high school football, while the likes of Ohio State and Penn State were sidelined.

Meanwhile, a vote breakdown of the school presidents and chancellors revealed that the decision to call off the season was 11-3, with Nebraska, Iowa and Ohio State making up the dissenting votes.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.saturd ... -fall/amp/
Last edited by ramster 3 years ago, edited 2 times in total.
theblueram
Frank Keaney

Unread post by theblueram »

NYGFan_Section208 wrote: 3 years ago I'm a couple pages behind, but before I start responding...is this the new politics thread? I mean. are we going there again?
I just posted a CDC article and all hell broke out :D :lol:
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

theblueram wrote: 3 years ago
NYGFan_Section208 wrote: 3 years ago I'm a couple pages behind, but before I start responding...is this the new politics thread? I mean. are we going there again?
I know, but when folks get to assigning desires to "bomb majority-brown countries"....we're swinging back to seriously messy politics.

Are we doing that or not? 'cause, if we are, as one of maybe a handful of conservatives here...I'm ready to give it a go...
theblueram
Frank Keaney

NYGFan_Section208 wrote: 3 years ago
theblueram wrote: 3 years ago
I know, but when folks get to assigning desires to "bomb majority-brown countries"....we're swinging back to seriously messy politics.

Are we doing that or not? 'cause, if we are, as one of maybe a handful of conservatives here...I'm ready to give it a go...
You mean you would talk about your "depraved" politics? :o The horror!
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

Rhodymob05 wrote: 3 years ago Its not Trump alone folks. Its Fauci, CDC, and now Raimondo, all backed by science that agrees with students going back to school. College Football is already being played. I think theres a way to get it done saftely. BIG10 should be playing.
Governors in Pennsylvania and Ohio just approved High School Football. And Ohio State and Penn State Players must sit out?

It’s the Governors calls, not Federal, for HS Sports. And local cities must approve too.
RhodyKyle
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by RhodyKyle »

CHICO 78 wrote: 3 years ago Don't look to Trump for science info. Not from a man who thinks research should be conducted to see if you inject a toxin (bleach , Lysol) into your veins it will cure Covid. Maybe he CDC should have thought about the fact that many, many people are to stupid to understand the concept of Comorbidity when they put out those numbers. Here's the science below. Some of you need to read this VERY SLOWLY SO YOU WILL UNDERSTAND IT!!!

White House coronavirus advisor Dr. Anthony Fauci debunked online theories promoted by President Donald Trump that the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention has changed its guidance for tallying coronavirus deaths, showing a fraction of total Covid-19 fatalities.

On Sunday, Twitter removed a post retweeted by Trump that claimed the CDC had "quietly" updated its guidance to indicate only 6% of the country's coronavirus death toll — roughly 9,000 deaths — was actually caused by the virus, according to a
The tweet said the remaining 94% had "other serious illnesses."
Fauci told the ABC program "Good Morning America" on Tuesday that the CDC guidance, last updated on Aug. 26, indicates that of the people who have died from the virus, "a certain percentage of them had nothing else but just Covid." However, people with underlying illnesses also die from Covid-19, he said.
"That does not mean that someone who has hypertension or diabetes who dies of Covid didn't die of Covid-19. They did," Fauci, director of the National Institute of Allergy and Infectious Diseases, told the program. "So the numbers you've been hearing -- there are 180,000-plus deaths -- are real deaths from Covid-19. Let (there) not be any confusion about that."
"It's not 9,000 deaths from Covid-19, it's 180-plus-thousand deaths," Fauci said.
[/b]
Just to throw the source for Chico's post.

https://www.cnbc.com/2020/09/01/fauci-d ... in-us.html

Explains the misrepresented facts in the CDC link.
rhodyruckus
Tom Garrick

Unread post by rhodyruckus »

Rhodymob05 wrote: 3 years ago Its not Trump alone folks. Its Fauci, CDC, and now Raimondo, all backed by science that agrees with students going back to school. College Football is already being played. I think theres a way to get it done saftely. BIG10 should be playing.
Wait, Raimondo is now a selling point for the right when she couldn't be trusted before? Which is it?

(Sorry mods, I'll shut off politics brain for now.)
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

Interesting that only 6% died of Covid as the sole cause of death.

There were more than 161,300 death certificates that listed Covid-19 among the possible causes of death as of Aug. 22, according to NCHS. About 6% of the certificates that mention Covid-19 list it as the sole cause on the death certificate. The remaining 94% included other causes alongside Covid-19.
People who are older are at greater risk for serious illness, and possibly death, from Covid-19. The CDC reports that 8 out of 10 Covid-19 deaths reported in the U.S. are people over 65 years old.
PeteRI
Sly Williams

Unread post by PeteRI »

TruePoint, thank you sincerely for all the hard work you put in to make this such an enjoyable site for we Ram fans. I am genuinely sorry that this thread has degenerated into a political battlefield and is making it impossible for sports to remain a desperately needed refuge from our daily nightmare.

I don't ask my plumber for medical advice. Just as I don't spend time on a sport site to read RNC Talking Points.
Rhodymob05
Tyson Wheeler

rhodyruckus wrote: 3 years ago
Wait, Raimondo is now a selling point for the right when she couldn't be trusted before? Which is it?

(Sorry mods, I'll shut off politics brain for now.)
I am personally not a fan of Gina, but feel as those who oppose the President , often agree with our Governor. In this case, the President, CDC and our governor agree with each other and are delivering the same message.
GO RAMS
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

Thanks Pete.

Look, I’m going to put a clear marker down here. No more posts in this thread that aren’t related to sports. I have a clear view about whether it is safe or not to go back to normal sports, and I also have a view on whether that is even appropriate at this point if it were safe. But that’s a legitimate discussion that is within the boundaries of what this board is intended for.

After a full 24 hours of trying to explain why a specific piece of “facts” is actually dangerous misinformation being deployed maliciously in order to mislead people into supporting dangerous policy outcomes, we get ramster jumping in this morning posting the same idiotic thing. I am not interested in having a debate about it, but I do want to explain why I am taking this position. I’m sorry if that strikes you as unfair, but I’m not going to entertain further discussion on this point and will start to delete posts that attempt to continue it. If you really have a burning desire to debate it, DM me and let’s take it offline.

When you say it is “interesting” that only 6% of people died from COVID alone, the implication is that in the other 94% of deaths a person who tested positive for COVID died in a car accident or a mountain climbing snafu or something and their death was unrelated to the disease. The implication is that, therefore, COVID is not actually that serious or dangerous and the numbers are inflated and maybe even totally cooked. The science makes clear that in the vast majority of cases (of course you could probably find one or five counterexamples out of the 180,000 deaths) the lives of the people that have died were not otherwise threatened by their comorbidities alone and the effects of COVID exacerbated and accelerated their illness and directly caused their deaths. This makes COVID excessively serious and dangerous for the millions and millions of people who have asthma or are overweight or live with kidney, heart or respiratory issues. When we argue that since COVID alone likely won’t kill a person so let’s just get back to normal life, you are essentially arguing to sacrifice potentially millions of your fellow citizens and human beings. That this line of argument has gained traction with a certain segment of our country is unbelievably disheartening to me, because it is clear evidence of either obscene cruelty or abject ignorance - I’m not sure which is worse, but neither are good. There are additional issues with this “analysis”, including that in some material number of cases it appears that COVID caused the comorbidity, which makes the entire discussion silly even if you were willing to sacrifice anyone who lives with some sort of illness.

There are other (endless) places on the internet where you can engage in this kind of discussion - you can go to a right wing site and luxuriate in the ignorance there, you can go to a liberal site and own the libs there. As I tried to say in the second paragraph of my original post on this, this arguing about the pandemic is a uniquely American exercise - the rest of the advanced world just accepted what was going on, dealt with it and is now largely past it. This is not the sort of American Exceptionalism that inspires me, personally, but pretty much the whole country is arguing about this so your not being able to do it here won’t limit your overall ability to engage in it if that’s what you want to do.
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

The BIG 10’s terrible August......

https://nebraska.rivals.com/news/the-bi ... bad-august
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

BIG 10 Teams cutting jobs, Giving furloughs, Schools to lose huge money without fall sports, especially no football.

https://kentucky.rivals.com/news/big-re ... in-warren-
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

I’m not a big Notre Dame Football Fan but I love that Notre Dame worked with the ACC to keep the season going and made the Big10 aristocracy look stupid

ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

ramster wrote: 3 years ago Interesting that only 6% died of Covid as the sole cause of death.

There were more than 161,300 death certificates that listed Covid-19 among the possible causes of death as of Aug. 22, according to NCHS. About 6% of the certificates that mention Covid-19 list it as the sole cause on the death certificate. The remaining 94% included other causes alongside Covid-19.
People who are older are at greater risk for serious illness, and possibly death, from Covid-19. The CDC reports that 8 out of 10 Covid-19 deaths reported in the U.S. are people over 65 years old.
you just wanna bomb majority brown countries, don't you? Why do you hate those people?
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

TruePoint wrote: 3 years ago Thanks Pete.

Look, I’m going to put a clear marker down here. No more posts in this thread that aren’t related to sports. I have a clear view about whether it is safe or not to go back to normal sports, and I also have a view on whether that is even appropriate at this point if it were safe. But that’s a legitimate discussion that is within the boundaries of what this board is intended for.

After a full 24 hours of trying to explain why a specific piece of “facts” is actually dangerous misinformation being deployed maliciously in order to mislead people into supporting dangerous policy outcomes, we get ramster jumping in this morning posting the same idiotic thing. I am not interested in having a debate about it, but I do want to explain why I am taking this position. I’m sorry if that strikes you as unfair, but I’m not going to entertain further discussion on this point and will start to delete posts that attempt to continue it. If you really have a burning desire to debate it, DM me and let’s take it offline.

When you say it is “interesting” that only 6% of people died from COVID alone, the implication is that in the other 94% of deaths a person who tested positive for COVID died in a car accident or a mountain climbing snafu or something and their death was unrelated to the disease. The implication is that, therefore, COVID is not actually that serious or dangerous and the numbers are inflated and maybe even totally cooked. The science makes clear that in the vast majority of cases (of course you could probably find one or five counterexamples out of the 180,000 deaths) the lives of the people that have died were not otherwise threatened by their comorbidities alone and the effects of COVID exacerbated and accelerated their illness and directly caused their deaths. This makes COVID excessively serious and dangerous for the millions and millions of people who have asthma or are overweight or live with kidney, heart or respiratory issues. When we argue that since COVID alone likely won’t kill a person so let’s just get back to normal life, you are essentially arguing to sacrifice potentially millions of your fellow citizens and human beings. That this line of argument has gained traction with a certain segment of our country is unbelievably disheartening to me, because it is clear evidence of either obscene cruelty or abject ignorance - I’m not sure which is worse, but neither are good. There are additional issues with this “analysis”, including that in some material number of cases it appears that COVID caused the comorbidity, which makes the entire discussion silly even if you were willing to sacrifice anyone who lives with some sort of illness.

There are other (endless) places on the internet where you can engage in this kind of discussion - you can go to a right wing site and luxuriate in the ignorance there, you can go to a liberal site and own the libs there. As I tried to say in the second paragraph of my original post on this, this arguing about the pandemic is a uniquely American exercise - the rest of the advanced world just accepted what was going on, dealt with it and is now largely past it. This is not the sort of American Exceptionalism that inspires me, personally, but pretty much the whole country is arguing about this so your not being able to do it here won’t limit your overall ability to engage in it if that’s what you want to do.
LOL
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

TruePoint wrote: 3 years ago Thanks Pete.

TP,
What I posted was directly quoted from the article that KyleRhody posted that was from the CDC and Dr Fauci. KyleRhody was supporting what Chico had said. How is that political? Dr Fauci's facts are political? Read the cnbc link to read what I simply posted in italics (quoted from article)

I want College Football to take place and have all along. I love that the ACC, SEC, Big12, AAC, Sunbelt and other FBS Conference are playing College Football in September and with fans in attendance to boot. The Big 10 screwed up in my opinion and will likely end top playing. Watched a player from Nebraska along with his Lawyer last night - this is going to get ugly for the Big 10. Talk is of Schools losing 100 million dollars just for fall sports in the Big 10 - that's 25 times the 4 million URI spent for lights and new turf - with nothing in return - just $100 million out the window.

The 6% having died exclusively from Covid and nothing else on the death certificates indicates that 94% are also suffering from other complications such as overweight, diabetes, etc, etc. Mostly age related. Of course 180,000 deaths is bad, unfortunate. Point I am making is the football players do not typically have other health issues. They are not nearly as susceptible to death from Covid as those 65+ years old. They can sit out if they want to and some are choosing to do that. But why make everyone sit out as the Big 10 is choosing to do? Hence the lawsuits now hitting the Big 10 schools from players and their parents.Nebraska players and coaches are complaining that now the players are mixed with students in the dorms on campus and at greater risk to Covid than if they were playing football. Lawsuits are in motion and growing from Big 10 players.

Not only have I wanted and predicted there would be FBS Football played with Fans in Attendance but I think it's a slam dunk that College Basketball will for sure be played in November including the OOC Games with fans in attendance. Sorry for the optimism.

You lost me linking me to politics. Some Posters in this thread are calling the President names and trashing politician but that's not from me.
Last edited by ramster 3 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

ramster wrote: 3 years ago Interesting that only 6% died of Covid as the sole cause of death.

you just wanna bomb majority brown countries, don't you? Why do you hate those people?
Yeah,
I guess Dr Fauci does too because what I posted came straight from the CNBC article. Damn facts.

NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

Yeah,
I guess Dr Fauci does too because what I posted came straight from the CNBC article. Damn facts.

UUUUUGGGH........we need to overcome the facts with the TRUTH!
Running Ram
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Running Ram »

I really don't know if I want to enter the fray here, but just to be clear, viruses, all viruses are mutated genes (dna or rna) they are pieces of genetic code and are very rarely a cause of death, that's not to say they cannot be, however most often they poison a person's "code" so to speak flipping genetic switches, weakening or exaggerating immune responses, setting dormant conditions in motion,etc. so yeah that's probably on target 9k of 189k total deaths solely attributable to the virus makes sense. This is a categorical distinction which is being used like any other statistic to direct and redirect people's attentions, stir people's ire, being used without clarity to misinform. In general that is, not here, here it was only posted from the source without comment. But anyone using it as a data point to argue cv19 isn't very deadly or whatever is either not understanding how viruses disrupt the body or is willfully attempting to misinform and propagandize. This is related to sports and specifically college sports because I've seen it used as another argument for schools and sports to resume. I'm not saying one way or the other what I believe schools should do, but I am saying science is in the analysis of the data and the data isn't all in yet, you could get it now and not show a single symptom, never get tested and in a decade it could set off a genetic firestorm in you. Look at Hiv/Aids science is still making discoveries about that virus and its been nearly fifty years. If you can honestly say kids aren't going to congregate and spread this thing once they get back to campuses then okay great lets get going, otherwise please don't brush it off because kids are healthy and strong. There is so much unknown about it, the best course is still, don't get it. I'm not sure why so many are recommending we get back to school and sports, trust me, I get the desire to get back to everything, the economic need, the need for institutional continuity and the personal need to not go insane without our reliable institutions, but we're still just not sure what we're exposing our kids to here and to expect them to stick to social distancing protocols is silly. Glad I'm not making these macro decisions and that I don't have kids so I'm not making the micro either, if I had kids I'm not sure I'd be sending them back to school just yet.
Go Rhody!!!
Birthplace of 'Fastbreak Basketball'
theblueram
Frank Keaney

If you read the CDC report you will see that 44% of people who died had the flu as well. Just saying.
rhodyruckus
Tom Garrick

Running Ram
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Running Ram »

blueram, and most of those people died of something else brought on by or exacerbated by either one or both of those viruses, it doesn't change the fact that we have very little knowledge of cv19 and I for one hope we don't regret letting school's spread it. Also, let's not forget a good 30% of the people at the schools will be adults. I don't want to over-react or have anyone think I'm not dying for things to get back to some semblance of normal. It's just that people should know before they go rushing back to campuses that there is more unknown than known about cv19 at this point.
Go Rhody!!!
Birthplace of 'Fastbreak Basketball'
URI_05
ARD

Unread post by URI_05 »

Why even engage at this point? This small group has been posting takes by every charlatan or “doctor” twisting statistics since this started. It’s exhausting and pointless to argue. Clearly there’s a deadly virus and clearly it will have an effect on basketball this year, none of us know what will happen, but anyone with half a brain knows this isn’t just some overhyped global conspiracy.

To those who think otherwise, I can’t believe you actually graduated college with your ability to filter data. I’d love to know what your major was...
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

URI_05 wrote: 3 years ago Why even engage at this point? This small group has been posting takes by every charlatan or “doctor” twisting statistics since this started. It’s exhausting and pointless to argue. Clearly there’s a deadly virus and clearly it will have an effect on basketball this year, none of us know what will happen, but anyone with half a brain knows this isn’t just some overhyped global conspiracy.

To those who think otherwise, I can’t believe you actually graduated college with your ability to filter data. I’d love to know what your major was...
BS Animal Science
BA Psychology
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

URI_05 wrote: 3 years ago Why even engage at this point? This small group has been posting takes by every charlatan or “doctor” twisting statistics since this started. It’s exhausting and pointless to argue. Clearly there’s a deadly virus and clearly it will have an effect on basketball this year, none of us know what will happen, but anyone with half a brain knows this isn’t just some overhyped global conspiracy.

BS Animal Science
BA Psychology

ETA: I don't believe it is a 'global' conspiracy...
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

Yeah,

ramster - I think if you had linked to an article without the commentary that it is “interesting that only 6% died of Covid as the sole cause of death” we’d have been fine. Obviously if you ignore the context of all the other discussion prior to your post in this thread, that seems innocent enough. But as has been a explained in this thread by me and others, cherry-picking a data point without any contextualization can be misleading and doing that during a public health crisis irresponsible. The “fact” that you shared without context has become a talking point for certain people trying to make an argument that the COVID threat is overstated, when it actually doesn’t suggest that at all when you consider the context - which had also been discussed in this thread prior to you post. I’m not sure whether you know all this and are playing dumb about or not, but either way we aren’t going to make this place a source for misleading information that could potentially jeopardize people’s health.
phipsiGD'11
Art Stephenson

Unread post by phipsiGD'11 »

How about that foul call for Jimmy Butler last night?

Talk about a conspiracy...
rhodyruckus
Tom Garrick

phipsiGD'11 wrote: 3 years ago How about that foul call for Jimmy Butler last night?

Talk about a conspiracy...
Both ends: final 2 possessions there were obvious no-calls that the referees inserted themselves into, first one being the foul with Dragic standing straight up on Middleton's 3-point attempt. What happened to a looser whistle during the playoffs? Although you get an 80-78 result like the Jazz and Nuggets a few nights ago with a looser whistle, which isn't ideal either.
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

When a poster calls the President of the United States an asshole in this thread then you should address that. That is clearly politics and should never, ever be allowed.

It is still unaddressed :roll:

Sorry my context was nebulous to you. It came right after RhodyKyle had Posted the CNBC article to support what Chico was saying. You chose to mention me but not the obvious political discord poster(s).

The only mention I made of politics was the tweet of the President Trump meeting with the Big 10 Commissioner regarding getting the Big 10 Football Season going. To me that’s not Politics, it is newsworthy. I’m one if the few here wanting College Football
Played along with fans in attendance.

Big 10 will play I think and hope.

High school football now approved by Governors of Pennsylvania and Ohio is making Ohio State and Penn State look bad for not playing. Imagine the Big Time State Schools not playing while High Schools play?

The Governor decisions are not political but newsworthy.

You could infer that the Michigan Governor not approving Football is political but I’d prefer to stick to the news implications than conjecture about political biases.
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

Ohio and Pennsylvania Governors have approved High School Football making Ohio State and Penn State Fans wondering why they can’t play til 2021.
Michigan Governor getting heat for not allowing HS Football