The Transfer Carousel - 2020-21

Talk about the men's team, upcoming opponents and news from around college hoop.
Rhody74
Sly Williams

Re: The Transfer Carousel - 2020

Unread post by Rhody74 »

SmartyBarrett wrote: 4 years ago Anyone wanna take a crack at translating this into English?

My guess the board said “you can change the transfer rules if you want to but we don’t recommend it. “
Slava Ukraini!
rhodyfan3000
Tom Garrick

Unread post by rhodyfan3000 »

Yippie!
rhodyfan3000
Tom Garrick

I think, this is going to result in possibly 2 things:

1. transfers will be eligible this year.

2. if they don't like the results, it will only end up being a one time thing for this year only.

If those two things are the case, I think we got lucky with Cox, who is in a position to take advantage of the rule.
URIRecruitingInfo
ARD

Unread post by URIRecruitingInfo »

rambone 78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by rambone 78 »

I think it means that if the vote is held May 20th, and the no sit out rule passes, it won't be effective until the 21-22 season, due to the total uncertainty surrounding this coming season.
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

Sounds like bad news for us with regards to the twins and Malik ??
CHICO 78
Jimmy Baron

Unread post by CHICO 78 »

NCAA D-I board today: "The board agreed to lift the moratorium on transfer legislation for the 2020-21 legislative cycle but recommended to the Council that changes to the waiver process as suggested by the working group are not appropriate at this time."

If I read this right Not going to happen this coming year …….. We are so screwed for 2020-2021 !!!!
McRam
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by McRam »

Let me see if I understand how this will really impact all the players that went into the transfer portal and committed to another school this year.
In the case of Tyrese, he would have to sit for a year, then only be eligible for his senior year? (Same as Malik) Would they really lose one year of playing time?

Can this really happen with all the players that took advantage of the transfer portal? Wouldn't they have asked this question of the new coach?

Or is it possible they sit one year, play one year, graduate, and then become a graduate transfer?
Rhody15
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Rhody15 »

McRam wrote: 4 years ago Let me see if I understand how this will really impact all the players that went into the transfer portal and committed to another school this year.
In the case of Tyrese, he would have to sit for a year, then only be eligible for his senior year? (Same as Malik) Would they really lose one year of playing time?

Can this really happen with all the players that took advantage of the transfer portal? Wouldn't they have asked this question of the new coach?

Or is it possible they sit one year, play one year, graduate, and then become a graduate transfer?
Where the hell are you getting that transfers would lose a year of eligibility? Why would anyone vote to approve a rule like that? How and why would that even make sense?
Last edited by Rhody15 4 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
Go Rhody
rjsuperfly66
Carlton Owens

Unread post by rjsuperfly66 »

Rhody15 wrote: 4 years ago
McRam wrote: 4 years ago Let me see if I understand how this will really impact all the players that went into the transfer portal and committed to another school this year.

Where the hell are you getting that transfers would lose a year of eligibility? Why would anyone vote for an approve a rule like that? How and why would that even make sense?
The good news is that I no longer have the dumbest comment on the site this week :lol: :lol: :lol:
DC_Rams
Sly Williams

Unread post by DC_Rams »

Yeah, that dialogue made my brain hurt. Lol
McRam
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by McRam »

Ok forgive me. Have a good excuse Not sure what I was thinking. Just tested positive for Covid and frankly not thinking very clearly

Ps. Pls advis e what I win for the dummest comment off the week ??
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

Hang in there MCRam
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

McRam wrote: 4 years ago Ok forgive me. Have a good excuse Not sure what I was thinking. Just tested positive for Covid and frankly not thinking very clearly

Ps. Pls advis e what I win for the dummest comment off the week ??
Weeks not over yet, plenty of time for dumber ones. Sorry to hear your news. Praying for you.
rhodyfan3000
Tom Garrick

In the hospital setting, this is called "having the 'Rona"

Sentence for context... "He's got the 'Rona"
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

Good luck McRam…...hope you're OK.

In time I think quite a few of us will test positive for the virus.

Just hope we all make it thru.

This disease is going to run it's course, sooner or later.

I have a part time job that I was supposed to start at the end of March, that was put on hold due to things shutting down....now looks like it will start in a couple weeks or so....don't really want to get out there and be exposed to the public....but I'm sure I'm not alone there.

People have to get out and live their lives and take their chances no matter what at some point....can't be on lockdown forever.
rhodylaw
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by rhodylaw »

Good luck McRam - we will know more about the transfer rule in 18 days, hopefully your mind will be clearer by then!
Ramulous
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Ramulous »

Hang in there McRam

Here's a dumb question/post to get you off the front page....
...Player A enters transfer portal.....can do so because he won't have to sit a year and can play right away.....says he is going to P5 school University of Big Time Sports....the NCAA delays the no-sit rule until the 21-22 season.....player A does not want to sit out....would rather go back to MidMajor University and play his sophomore year...and then plans to transfer the next year when the rule goes into effect.....

....does good old MidMajor U take the player back?
F*ck Alacki, DarthFriar, DirtyBeanFriar94, xCoachK, Boxworth, Friar Faithful, bicycleicycle, Matt_Keough, Patrick Norton, the Rosato brothers, and especially Benjamin Lord !
CHICO 78
Jimmy Baron

Unread post by CHICO 78 »

I would think once said player sign scholarship paperwork they are stuck. No paperwork submitted ,it’s seems like it’s just a verbal and isn’t binding.
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

Unread post by NYGFan_Section208 »

Ramulous wrote: 4 years ago Hang in there McRam

...Player A enters transfer portal.....can do so because he won't have to sit a year and can play right away.....says he is going to P5 school University of Big Time Sports....the NCAA delays the no-sit rule until the 21-22 season.....player A does not want to sit out....would rather go back to MidMajor University and play his sophomore year...and then plans to transfer the next year when the rule goes into effect.....

That could be interesting. Let's say MidMajor U is compelled to take the player back...I would think there will be instances of guys that were transferring out because they wanted to play more, that if they come back in this scenario, will end up getting even less time... Could get interesting, for sure.
hrstrat57
Sly Williams

Unread post by hrstrat57 »

Only the weakest possible, most desperate HC would take a player back who thumbed his nose at that school’s program.
We're gonna run the picket fence at "em.....now boys don't get caught watchin' the paint dry!
Rhody15
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Rhody15 »

hrstrat57 wrote: 4 years ago Only the weakest possible, most desperate HC would take a player back who thumbed his nose at that school’s program.
Bowling Green took back their transfer who was one of the top on the market this year, can’t think of anyone else off the top of my head.
Go Rhody
URIRecruitingInfo
ARD

URIRecruitingInfo wrote: 4 years ago 2020 D1 Transfers (Most as of 4/15/20)
1. California Baptist - 8
1. UAB - 8
1. Wichita State - 8
4. Holy Cross - 7
5. 7 Schools tied - 6

2020 A10 Transfers (Most as of 4/15/20)
1. GW - 5
1. UMass - 5
1. URI - 5
4. Duquense - 4
Duquense has 5th player enter portal (Kellon Taylor), now a 4 way tie.
URIRecruitingInfo
ARD

UAB is actually at 9.
rjsuperfly66
Carlton Owens

Ramulous wrote: 4 years ago Hang in there McRam

I think you can take a player back as long as he hasn't signed anywhere -- So if Player X says he wants to transfer (Bryce Cotton did this while at PC), they can ultimately make the decision to come back to their original school as long as the school wants them. The second they sign with their new school, they are subject to transfer rules.

I don't think these kids are going to receive any forgiveness from the NCAA, as the rules when they announced their intent to transfer was "sit for one year."
RAM67
Art Stephenson

Unread post by RAM67 »

What would be a fair estimate of the number of players now in the Portal, who put their names in thinking that the rule would be in effect this year, either by leaks from the NCAA, or prods from poaching coaches or friends etc.?
rjsuperfly66
Carlton Owens

RAM67 wrote: 4 years ago What would be a fair estimate of the number of players now in the Portal, who put their names in thinking that the rule would be in effect this year, either by leaks from the NCAA, or prods from poaching coaches or friends etc.?
I would like to hope there were not that many. I'm blindly believing that the second COVID wiped out the entire NCAA Tournament, the inner circle of these players should have advised that this would not be a normal offseason, and that they should transfer only because they think it's better for their game to play somewhere else, regardless of eligibility. The leaks have also been prevalent for the better part of a month that there was a good chance this rule change would not be going through. Rothstein's tweet mentioning 2021-2022 eligibility was sent on April 5th. Did anyone hear this before then? So maybe there were guys committing between the 2-3 weeks from when the season ended to when those rumors about no eligibility for next year started to leak out, but I imagine most of those guys transfer anyway. Anyone who committed or announced their intent to transfer after the rumors have no one to blame but themselves.
steviep123
Sly Williams

Unread post by steviep123 »

Here's the thing. All these players that entered the portal need to understand that currently the rules say, if you transfer you need to sit out a year. There is no guarantee this will change and even if the rule does change, there is nothing to say the rule change will apply to them. The are in the portal under the current rules. There is no reason any rule change will necessarily apply to them. It might and it might not. The NCAA could say, any rule change applies only to those entering the portal after X date, or between two dates each year. Or something like that. If that's the case, then there are kids who entered the portal thinking they wouldn't have to sit a year when they really do.
Bleed Keaney Blue!

”I'm not coming there to be in the top 3 of the Atlantic 10. I'm coming to win the damn thing!”
RAM67
Art Stephenson

Unread post by RAM67 »

RJ.
I would have to disagree with this, although I, like you, hope there were not that many. Don't forget our "leader" was downplaying Covid well into March, and still thinks it's going to magically disappear and sports will be back to normal after the summer. Don't forget a lot of players announced around the time the tournaments were cancelled, when I think a lot of people thought the rule would be passed for this year. I don't follow this stuff as closely as I once did, so it's only conjecture.
theblueram
Frank Keaney

Unread post by theblueram »

RAM67 wrote: 4 years ago RJ.
I would have to disagree with this, although I, like you, hope there were not that many. Don't forget our "leader" was downplaying Covid well into March, and still thinks it's going to magically disappear and sports will be back to normal after the summer. Don't forget a lot of players announced around the time the tournaments were cancelled, when I think a lot of people thought the rule would be passed for this year. I don't follow this stuff as closely as I once did, so it's only conjecture.
Certainly is a lot of conjecture in your post for sure.
DC_Rams
Sly Williams

Unread post by DC_Rams »

Allen Betrand announcing his college decision today at 4pm.

Finalists are Dayton, Butler, URI, Minn, DePaul and RICHMOND.

Would be a huge get. Go shower his IG with Rhody support!
IG is __ab2_
Joe95
ARD

Unread post by Joe95 »

DC_Rams wrote: 4 years ago Allen Betrand announcing his college decision today at 4pm.

Finalists are Dayton, Butler, URI, Minn, DePaul and RICHMOND.

Would be a huge get. Go shower his IG with Rhody support!
IG is __ab2_
Wish him a happy birthday too 👌
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

One time baby !!
URIRecruitingInfo
ARD

Ramulous
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Ramulous »

Good players.....my bet is they will be highly sought after....the two big kids are undersized forwards at 6'5"
F*ck Alacki, DarthFriar, DirtyBeanFriar94, xCoachK, Boxworth, Friar Faithful, bicycleicycle, Matt_Keough, Patrick Norton, the Rosato brothers, and especially Benjamin Lord !
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by Billyboy78 »

RF1
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by RF1 »

Billyboy78 wrote: 4 years ago
Probably wants to play for a team in a better league that can get him to the tournament. Look for him to end up at a P5 school. The Hoyas haven't been in the tourney since the 2014-15 season and have had just one winning season in the last five years.
Last edited by RF1 4 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
SmartyBarrett
Sly Williams

Unread post by SmartyBarrett »

Sophomore. Sit (?) one, play two.
Rhody15
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Rhody15 »

RF1 wrote: 4 years ago
Probably wants to play for a team in a better league that can get him to the tournament. Look for him to end up at a P5 school.
I know talking positive about the Big East is forbidden on this board, but it’s tough to find a better league than the Big East has been the last few years.
Go Rhody
brady1
Art Stephenson

Unread post by brady1 »

Rhody15 wrote: 4 years ago [quote=RF1 post_id=453503 time=<a href="tel:1589401429">1589401429</a> user_id=286]
[quote=Billyboy78 post_id=453502 time=<a href="tel:1589401176">1589401176</a> user_id=162]
Probably wants to play for a team in a better league that can get him to the tournament. Look for him to end up at a P5 school.
[/quote]

I know talking positive about the Big East is forbidden on this board, but it’s tough to find a better league than the Big East has been the last few years.
[/quote]
No worries pc15 always good to get a friar fans take on things.

GO RHODY!
Rhody15
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Rhody15 »

....lol?

Tell me I’m wrong though...
Go Rhody
theblueram
Frank Keaney

Rhody15 wrote: 4 years ago ....lol?

Pretty much. Besides Villanova, the league has been overrated and has under performed (to say the least) in the NCAAT. They got into the NCAAT based on bloated rankings and couldn't deliver so yes you are wrong.
Rhody15
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Rhody15 »

theblueram wrote: 4 years ago

Pretty much. Besides Villanova, the league has been overrated and has under performed (to say the least) in the NCAAT. They got into the NCAAT based on bloated rankings and couldn't deliver so yes you are wrong.

Didn’t say it was the best league though.

Last two years, ranked 1st and 4th in total NET (yes I know everyone here hates the NET too.)
Go Rhody
theblueram
Frank Keaney

theblueram wrote: 4 years ago

Didn’t say it was the best league though.

Last two years, ranked 1st and 4th in total NET (yes I know everyone here hates the NET too.)
What does it say about an algorithmic ranking where they are #1 and # 4 and can't win games in the NCAAT? Makes you question the ranking system.
rjsuperfly66
Carlton Owens

It’s not the Big East’s fault that if you put their worst team DePaul in the A10, DePaul has the best OOC resume is and comes in with a healthy NET.
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

You should cut Depaul loose and replace with St Louis, Dayton or another
DePaul is always at the bottom and they have a loser Head Coach and the Athletic Director is way past her time to get fired.

That’s your Fordham. Cut bait.
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

Hate to admit this....but DePaul would be mid pack in the A10.

That's how much crap there is in the A10.

Maybe the economic fallout from the virus will force a few A10 programs to drop down or something....one can hope.

We know LaSalle was considering it..... this might be the catalyst for some changes, not just in the A10, but other conferences as well.
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

Definitely think McClung should take a step up and go to a P5 school !!
rjsuperfly66
Carlton Owens

ramster wrote: 4 years ago You should cut Depaul loose and replace with St Louis, Dayton or another
DePaul is always at the bottom and they have a loser Head Coach and the Athletic Director is way past her time to get fired.

That’s your Fordham. Cut bait.
I don't want to go too far down this rabbit hole, but I did want to address this statement. I do think there is a large difference between DePaul and Fordham.

I don't endorse DePaul's play in the last decade plus, but for a pretty strong conference like the Big East has been, it's kind of nice to know there is a cupcake at the bottom (although that cupcake has fared pretty well against PC). Using KenPom for quick reference, in the past 5 years, there have been 5 teams with a KenPom higher than 100, so essentially one per season.

That is very different than a team like Fordham. If my KenPom math was correct, there have been 44 A10 teams over 5 years which have had a KenPom higher than 100, or essentially nine per season. So finding ways to get teams more consistently in the Top 100 for the A10 is a much more important task, which is why people talk about a school like Fordham who has never had a Top 100 KenPom in the history of his metric (1997) and has only had one Top 200 season since 2009.
SmartyBarrett
Sly Williams

Unread post by SmartyBarrett »

The Big 12 has been consistently better than the Big East for a while.