All things Dan Hurley/UCONN THREAD

For any college sports discussion not based in Kingston
theblueram
Frank Keaney

Re: All things Dan Hurley/UCONN THREAD

Unread post by theblueram »

ace wrote: 4 years ago Their main problem is their senior guards (Vital and Gilbert) play like sophomore year Fatts- they might take over and win a game for you, but they’ll trash a lot, too. And, same as for URI last year, the guard depth isn’t there to sit guys. Sit Gilbert for the freshman Gaffney? No way he’s ready. I do think Adams would have been good as a Ram.

When a new coach takes over for a fired coach and makes the choice to not bring anyone with him and to not kick off anyone he inherits, the roster can be rough for a couple years. I still thinks that’s the right way to do it... but Whaley, Polley, Wilson plus the veteran guards, who all lost years of development? They’re decidedly meh. I forgot how painful and sometimes boring these transition years are. Even last year when URI was struggling, it still had elements that felt like Rhody basketball of the last few years. That’s the positive the continuity in coaches gets you.

Akok Akok is fun as hell to watch, Bouknight’s good. Carlton is ok but not a center Hurley would necessarily recruit. Springs, Jackson, Cole, and Brown-Ferguson should be good additions. With this being their AAC purgatory year, I’m probably going to enjoy A10 play way more.
Didn't he take Adams with him? What am I missing?
ace
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by ace »

That a twelfth grader is different than the current best player on the team.
steviep123
Sly Williams

Unread post by steviep123 »

theblueram wrote: 4 years ago
ace wrote: 4 years ago Their main problem is their senior guards (Vital and Gilbert) play like sophomore year Fatts- they might take over and win a game for you, but they’ll trash a lot, too. And, same as for URI last year, the guard depth isn’t there to sit guys. Sit Gilbert for the freshman Gaffney? No way he’s ready. I do think Adams would have been good as a Ram.

When a new coach takes over for a fired coach and makes the choice to not bring anyone with him and to not kick off anyone he inherits, the roster can be rough for a couple years. I still thinks that’s the right way to do it... but Whaley, Polley, Wilson plus the veteran guards, who all lost years of development? They’re decidedly meh. I forgot how painful and sometimes boring these transition years are. Even last year when URI was struggling, it still had elements that felt like Rhody basketball of the last few years. That’s the positive the continuity in coaches gets you.

Akok Akok is fun as hell to watch, Bouknight’s good. Carlton is ok but not a center Hurley would necessarily recruit. Springs, Jackson, Cole, and Brown-Ferguson should be good additions. With this being their AAC purgatory year, I’m probably going to enjoy A10 play way more.
Adams wasn’t a current player. But he had committed.
Bleed Keaney Blue!

”I'm not coming there to be in the top 3 of the Atlantic 10. I'm coming to win the damn thing!”
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

I do think Adams has some potential and he has a build like an Andre Miller from Utah

I do think the starting guards are holding them back as you need really good guards to win and they are way too inconsistent
hrstrat57
Sly Williams

Unread post by hrstrat57 »

Didn’t think this worth a unique thread but interesting so I stuck it here for Hurley fans

https://www.forbes.com/sites/seandevene ... -accident/
We're gonna run the picket fence at "em.....now boys don't get caught watchin' the paint dry!
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

Gilbert you are terrible take this bum out
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

UConn getting outclassed here by a mediocre Cinci team 25-10

Looks like DH is another year away from getting back to the dance
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

35-19 Cinci at the half

Gilbert continues to stink out the joint

Carleton has regressed

On a bright note Vital only one playing well
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

How was the reunion between CT and DH in Storrs ??

Any bro hugs ??
McRam
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by McRam »

tv cut away to other line just as they were getting close.
McRam
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by McRam »

steviep123 wrote: 4 years ago
theblueram wrote: 4 years ago

Adams wasn’t a current player. But he had committed.
Actually the stealing of a Rhody commit (Adams) by Hurley when he took the UConn job, is still haunting us. Adams goes with Hurley late, so we settle on Silverio who was not an A10 player, then he leaves and we take Sheppard.

Think we would be in much better shape today if Adams was backing up Fatts and JD.
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

Absolutely right Adams looks like a decent player. He definitely would be getting minutes for us this year
ace
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by ace »

ACLs continue to be stupid and how has evolution not led us to something better? It kills me when college players get hurt.
adam914
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by adam914 »

Quite the game going on in Hartford right now! Headed to OT after a three for UConn with a second left.

Anybody else watching this broadcast? Kind of interesting what they are doing with Lappas and Gillen "embedded" with each sideline. Even if both guys are absolute maniacs it's at least more interesting than the normal broadcast. :lol:
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

Unread post by NYGFan_Section208 »

adam914 wrote: 4 years ago Quite the game going on in Hartford right now! Headed to OT after a three for UConn with a second left.

Anybody else watching this broadcast? Kind of interesting what they are doing with Lappas and Gillen "embedded" with each sideline. Even if both guys are absolute maniacs it's at least more interesting than the normal broadcast. :lol:
just got on it at the beginning of OT. It is a good one. That Bouknight fellow is quite talented.
steviep123
Sly Williams

NYGFan_Section208 wrote: 4 years ago
adam914 wrote: 4 years ago Quite the game going on in Hartford right now! Headed to OT after a three for UConn with a second left.

just got on it at the beginning of OT. It is a good one. That Bouknight fellow is quite talented.
Uconn was down by 12 in the 2nd half when I had to turn it off...sorry to have missed the comeback and the rest of the game.
Bleed Keaney Blue!

”I'm not coming there to be in the top 3 of the Atlantic 10. I'm coming to win the damn thing!”
ace
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by ace »

It was a great game. I’m not sure they would have won anyway, but that charge call at the end was brutal. The team performed well, with a lot going on emotionally in the program. Gilbert’s grandmother, who helped to raise him, died on Wednesday. They tried to get him to go home to be with family, but he wanted to stay and play and then go home today for the funeral. Starting forward Tyler Polley tore his ACL on Friday in practice and is obviously out for the year. He averaged 10 a game and was their best three point shooter. We know how rebuilds work. Not always fun- but, like at URI, enough positive signs that it feels like it will work out.
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by rambone 78 »

UConn seems to play to the level of the opponent, just like us.

A couple more good recruits and more experience, and they will start to win the close ones they aren't winning now.

Bouknight could become another in a long line of exceptional guards there.
bigappleram
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by bigappleram »

I watched the kid Andre Jackson play yesterday for Albany Academy, he's a 6'8 wing going to Uconn next year. He's gonna be a beast, can jump out of the gym and is a gifted passer and scorer. Dan is probably 1-2 years away from having them back as a perennial Top 25 squad. Still some guys on current roster that are not guys he would typically recruit.
ace
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by ace »

bigappleram wrote: 4 years ago I watched the kid Andre Jackson play yesterday for Albany Academy, he's a 6'8 wing going to Uconn next year. He's gonna be a beast, can jump out of the gym and is a gifted passer and scorer. Dan is probably 1-2 years away from having them back as a perennial Top 25 squad. Still some guys on current roster that are not guys he would typically recruit.
Carlton is the major one, especially because they’re so thin in the frontcourt. He’s a big body type but not very athletic, definitely not the type of big they’d prefer. Their roster shows how important every recruiting class is to get and keep them with you. The senior class had tons of transfers under Ollie, juniors (Whaley works hard but is limited) are not a particularly strong class because the program was getting weaker, and the sophomore class (just Adams, as Wilson is a redshirt) is a casualty of a coaching change. Freshmen are good or will be.

Jackson is a human highlight reel, funky looking shot and all. Did his shot look any better yesterday? It’s never going to be perfect, but they’re hoping for some consistency with it.
Last edited by ace 4 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

Sorry to hear about Gilbert’s mom and didn’t hear about Polley ACL

Stanley Wilson is very athletic for them

Sounds like when DH gets his recruits in there they will be back in the Top 25 let the process play out
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

They will need to get better since next year they go to a league where there aren't any breathers.

But they will.

Another year, maybe 2.
bigappleram
Ernie Calverley

ace wrote: 4 years ago
bigappleram wrote: 4 years ago I watched the kid Andre Jackson play yesterday for Albany Academy, he's a 6'8 wing going to Uconn next year. He's gonna be a beast, can jump out of the gym and is a gifted passer and scorer. Dan is probably 1-2 years away from having them back as a perennial Top 25 squad. Still some guys on current roster that are not guys he would typically recruit.
Carlton is the major one, especially because they’re so thin in the frontcourt. He’s a big body type but not very athletic, definitely not the type of big they’d prefer. Their roster shows how important every recruiting class is to get and keep them with you. The senior class had tons of transfers under Ollie, juniors (Whaley works hard but is limited) are not a particularly strong class because the program was getting weaker, and the sophomore class (just Adams, as Wilson is a redshirt) is a casualty of a coaching change. Freshmen are good or will be.

Jackson is a human highlight reel, funky looking shot and all. Did his shot look any better yesterday? It’s never going to be perfect, but they’re hoping for some consistency with it.
His shot is still funky, but his athleticism is through the roof. He's also a very willing and skilled passer and showed that side of his game a lot this weekend. He will immediately replace Polley in the starting 5 IMO
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

Great effort by Uconn to only lose by 4 led by most of game

Gilbert continues to be awful 6 turnovers and 1-7 from line from your point guard ???
ace
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by ace »

Completely ruptured Achilles confirmed for Akok. He’s likely not back until the 21-22 season. That is a brutal rehab and timeframe for anyone, let alone a college athlete. Akok’s best at blocking and altering shots- a perfect piece for a Hurley defense. I’m not sure how fully he can come back from this.

I hate this for the UConn players. The three freshmen (Akok, Bouknight, Gaffney) had moved into the starting line-up. They had made it through the toughest part of their schedule (3 point loss in double overtime to #23 Wichita State, 6 point loss to #14 Villanova, 4 point loss to #25 Houston, 4 point loss in another double overtime to Tulsa) and were set up to finally get some wins. They beat three solid teams in Tulsa, Cincinnati, and Memphis that they lost to the first time around. If you know how Hurley manages getting programs back, you could see it happening. Going to be hard to sustain that this season down two starters, but the future still looks bright. Nice reminder not to take anything for granted when things are going well.

steviep123
Sly Williams

That’s terrible news!
Bleed Keaney Blue!

TruePoint
Frank Keaney

Unread post by TruePoint »

To state the obvious, my dad is not - in any way shape or form - Akok Akok. But he did rupture his achilles playing pickup hoops against my neighbor in my driveway on my 4th birthday. He wasn’t ever able to run again. Obviously he was not as young as Akok then, probably didn’t have as good of a surgeon, was not able to devote the time to rehab that this kid will, wasn’t as good of an athlete to start with and medicine has improved a lot in the intervening 30 years. But still...I know how difficult of an injury this can be (because I heard a LOT about it over multiple decades lol), so my heart goes out to him - and to Dan. I’m sure he’s devastated on a personal and professional level, and unfortunately he’s been down this road before and knows full well what this does to his timeframe. Hoping for the fullest recovery possible for Akok.
"If you build it, they will come." --Us, circa 2011
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

That’s a rough injury to overcome for Akok but I am sure he will come back strong after sitting out a year

DH working his magic again UConn playing spoiler this year and the rebuild seems on track watch for NIT next year then we will see NCAAs in year 4 I think ????
RhodyKyle
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by RhodyKyle »

URI_05
ARD

Unread post by URI_05 »

I guess we might find out when Danny really started talking to UConn...
URI_05
ARD

Unread post by URI_05 »

Sounds like that’s exactly what they’re looking for: https://www.nhregister.com/uconn/articl ... 077929.php
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

If the truth comes out...brace yerself for some board re-angst ;)
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

Unread post by TruePoint »

I think that most people here accepted a while ago that there was some back channel communication between UConn and Dan before our season was over and possibly as far back as before the season even started. It sucks, but at the end of the day if Dan wanted to end up at UConn then nothing was going to change that and we weren’t going to keep him here against his will. The fact that Cox seems capable also makes it less upsetting - if we finish this season off by getting into the tournament then I doubt there will be a ton of anger here. I still think something weird happened down the stretch with that team and even though we got out of the first round we still didn’t max out in terms of potential, which sucks but there is no way to play it out another way and see what would have happened. All that can really come from this is confirming that UConn, Calhoun and Moore are the scumbags we already know them to be.
"If you build it, they will come." --Us, circa 2011
bigappleram
Ernie Calverley

I wouldn't disagree with the above, I also don't think its all that uncommon for potential schools to put out feelers and back channel communication to a working coach via agents and intermediaries. Same things happen with transfers and 5th year players. Obviously helps to keep those things out of the public eye but you would be naive to think it doesn't happen. Don't think any amount of focus from DH would have yielded a win against an awful matchup vs Duke but it could have been a distraction at the tail end of regular season when we lost a couple games we should have had. Really no different than what happens in professional world when you are recruiting someone employed elsewhere.
Last edited by bigappleram 4 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
steviep123
Sly Williams

bigappleram wrote: 4 years ago I wouldn't disagree with the above, I also don't think its all that uncommon for potential schools to put out feelers and back channel communication to a working coach via agents and intermediaries. Same things happen with transfers and 5th year players. Obviously helps to keep those things out of the public eye but you would be naive to think it doesn't happen. With Moore on staff there was a very clear line to DH, whether it happened or not, from boosters/UConn admin relationships TM held from his long tenure there. Don't think any amount of focus from DH would have yielded a win against an awful matchup vs Duke but it could have been a distraction at the tail end of regular season when we lost a couple games we should have had.
At SBU, at Davidson, and the unfocused blowout vs. St. Joe's come to mind. Also vs. Davidson again in the A10 championship. All games that cost us a seed and win all (1 is forgivable, not all 4), and they may have been as high as a 5 or even a 4 (don't scoff - on the mid season pre selection show when they announced the current top 4 seeds, there was a lot of talk that URI could/should have been that 4th seed instead of Oklahoma. Oklahoma faltered down the stretch to a 10. There's no reason to think we couldn't have had that spot if we didn't lose those four games. But to take the good with the bad, we also wouldn't have had the "Don't do it to him like that, Fatts" moment).
Bleed Keaney Blue!

Rhody15
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Rhody15 »

If we end up in the NIT, hopefully we play UConn in Kingston.
Go Rhody
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

Rhody15 wrote: 4 years ago If we end up in the NIT, hopefully we play UConn in Kingston.
That would sell some tix
ace
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by ace »

The Athletic continues to put out such good stuff. I think this is still good, even if you hate UConn. I like hearing coaches break down plays.

reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

Amazing how they keep improving after losing a Polley and Akok that’s a testament to DH work ethic
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

https://www.courant.com/sports/uconn-me ... story.html

“I’ll say this,” he said, finally. “This league doesn’t get enough credit for the quality of its basketball, the quality of its coaches, the quality of its players, how hard-fought each and every game is. Some of the places you go to in this league, Memphis, Cincinnati, Houston, Wichita, it is big time. It’s high-major, highest level basketball.”

reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

They going to the BE next year an even better league
RhodyFanNotAlum
Kenny Green

Unread post by RhodyFanNotAlum »

reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

That’s very nice of CT to ask DH to do that
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

Wow 20 BE games per team will just improve their overall NET
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

reef wrote: 4 years ago Wow 20 BE games per team will just improve their overall NET
Especially when St Johns and DePaul were so bad but the NET still stayed high for those two teams.
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

rambone 78
Frank Keaney

Yeah I had some issues with Dan, mostly his offensive play calling/strategy.....but damn....

If we're not missing him already....we should.

We're falling, and can't get up...….
bigappleram
Ernie Calverley

Let's be honest Bone, we could have John Wooden as our coach and win a national championship and 5 minutes after the game ended you'd be like "doubt we can ever do that again." :0