'14 WI PG - Jarvis Garrett (URI Signed LOI)

Talk about future recruits and scouting efforts in this forum.
Forum rules
If you start a recruit thread and don't set up a profile, make a blank post first so a profile can be added later.

Place whatever you were going to post in the second post.
Rhodymob05
Tyson Wheeler

Re: '14 WI PG - Jarvis Garrett (URI Verbal Commit)

Unread post by Rhodymob05 »

ace wrote:
Rhodymob05 wrote:Ok what's wrong with ec at shooting guard. Hes a perfect 2.we have 2 point guards so why force him to be one also.
Because he wants to be one and came here with the assurance that he would be developed into one, eventually and when the time is right. It's not a problem- and he'll do anything the coaches ask- but he wants to learn and improve those skills. Teams play with two pgs on the floor- even better when one of them is 6'5" or so. Don't worry about specific roles, just collect good players.
I understand the multiple roles thing. But let'sthink. Biggie and Garrett will be the pg's for the next four seasons. Biggie to start then changing to Garrett. Where does ec fit in?
GO RAMS
RF1
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by RF1 »

This is the best player personnel news since the week in the fall of 2012 that EC and Hassan committed. Since then, it has mostly been all bad news roster-wise. Swung and missed on our #1 recruiting target Jared Terrell. Hare left the program, Aaman injured. Powell left the program. Minnis injured. Finally some really positve news.
ChiPhiRhody03
Michael Andersen

Unread post by ChiPhiRhody03 »

Went to school with P-Murph. Real good guy. Turned out to be one helluva scout/recruit/coach. Great work boys. Welcome Jarvis. Get another solid big man and we're looking nice for a few years.
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

Unread post by TruePoint »

Rhodymob05 wrote:
ace wrote:
Rhodymob05 wrote:Ok what's wrong with ec at shooting guard. Hes a perfect 2.we have 2 point guards so why force him to be one also.
Because he wants to be one and came here with the assurance that he would be developed into one, eventually and when the time is right. It's not a problem- and he'll do anything the coaches ask- but he wants to learn and improve those skills. Teams play with two pgs on the floor- even better when one of them is 6'5" or so. Don't worry about specific roles, just collect good players.
I understand the multiple roles thing. But let'sthink. Biggie and Garrett will be the pg's for the next four seasons. Biggie to start then changing to Garrett. Where does ec fit in?
As Ace said, don't worry about specific roles. There are 200 minutes to be played in every game, and for now we need to be worried about having good players soak up as many of those as possible. We aren't in a place to worry about not having enough to go around. There will be plenty of time for Biggie and Jarvis and for EC to develop the skills he needs to play PG at the next level. If there is any part if this that is a problem, it is a very good problem to have and you should be thankful to have it. I'm sure the coaches are.
"If you build it, they will come." --Us, circa 2011
sf2010
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by sf2010 »

A day later, still so excited about Garrett! Such great news for the program, can't wait to see him and EC in the backcourt together. I think it'll be great to have more than one player who's an adequate ball handler on the court at any given time, which is part of why this OH NO TWO POINT GUARDS talk just rolls right off my back :-)
ATPTourFan
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ATPTourFan »

Anyone remember a certain A10 team that came into the Ryan Center ranked 1/2?? Hint: they bring a smelly flapping bird with them.

Pretty sure they had two star guards that became NBA point guards.

Why do some of our fans feel they need to worry about things that the Basketball Staff discuss for months and sometimes YEARS in advance of the day they get a verbal/signing?? As if they didn't see the situation (a very positive one at that) before WE did?
Support Coach Miller & Rhody Basketball! Give to the Athletic Director's Fund
Rhodymob05
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhodymob05 »

Yes it is a good problem. Great to have Garrett. Go rams
GO RAMS
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by Billyboy78 »

Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

I don't worry about this at all. EC and Jarvis will be great on the floor TOGETHER. They share some of the same qualities...getting into the lane, seeing the floor, hitting the open man, scoring, shooting. Both will also be leaders. if we had 10 guards, 3 forwards and no center, I'd worry. I want good players. This will be awesome.
sf2010
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by sf2010 »

I really like the look of his jump shot. Gets very square to the basket, repeatable form, decently quick release...definitely adds an element to PG play that TJ/Biggie cannot provide
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

sf2010 wrote:I really like the look of his jump shot. Gets very square to the basket, repeatable form, decently quick release...definitely adds an element to PG play that TJ/Biggie cannot provide
He can definitely shoot and score. He averages over 20/game with a couple of 40 point games. But he is still a pass first PG. I think he's the kind of player that would rather have 10 assists than 40 points.
Blue Man
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Blue Man »

I hope Rod is right in his assessment of garrett...this is a big hole for us. If he can just be an average pg it'll help so much to have EC operate off the ball and not have to do EVERYTHING.

Im not ready to pop bottles til we see him in action - but at least we have the start of a recruiting class.

welcome back rod!
If you say you’re a Rhody fan, I know you are my brother. For you have suffered as I have suffered.

Give to the Athletic Director's Fund

Give to Rhody's NIL
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Blue Man wrote:I hope Rod is right in his assessment of garrett...this is a big hole for us. If he can just be an average pg it'll help so much to have EC operate off the ball and not have to do EVERYTHING.

Im not ready to pop bottles til we see him in action - but at least we have the start of a recruiting class.

welcome back rod!
I've seen him in action.
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

Unread post by TruePoint »

Billyboy has been on this kid's recruitment almost as much as Preston haha
"If you build it, they will come." --Us, circa 2011
adam914
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by adam914 »

Yeah as people like Ace, TP, and ATP have already stated, we don't need to read too much into these roles. Yes, EC wants to be able to show he can be a PG for his next level aspirations, but its not like scouts are going to open the box score and see that EC wasn't listed with a PG next to his name and then move on. He can grow that area of his game and still show scouts that he can play there without it being spelled out in the game program or whatever.
Rhodyhooopz
Art Stephenson

Unread post by Rhodyhooopz »

Way to go PMurph. This signing is right up there with watching PMurph take Paul Pierce to the hole in the NCAA's.
"If you laugh, you think, and you cry, that's a full day. That's a heck of a day. You do that seven days a week, you're going to have something special" - Jim Valvano
ramfan85
Carlton Owens

Unread post by ramfan85 »

I'll bet EC is thrilled to have this kid. His personality and work ethic remind me a lot of Pappy's. Think about it. His (and Martin's) game would suffer without a quality pg. He knows he needs pg and ball handling skills at the next level. Now he's got time to learn these. He'll probably learn some things from Jarvis, too.
I expect Minnis to start the season at point next year. That's the way it should be, unless there's a vast difference in skills. Dan has been very good at working freshmen into the system (unlike a former coach).
Now, TJ can come off the bench and utilize his skills better. Hopefully, Minnis will too.
There's no shame in being the 6th man. It's actually the 6th starter. To be a good team, you need these players. Not every player should start.

As for Preston, what more can anyone say. I've never seen an assistant work as hard as him. he should be in line to replace Dan. Hopefully, he's being groomed for this. I'm sure Dan and the school realize this and will do whatever is necessary to keep him happy. He definitely should be the Asst. head Coach (or whatever they call it).

They say bad things happen in 3's. For us lately, that number seems to be higher.
maybe the opposite also applies. We may be in for 2 more bits of good news. We still have at least 2 more scholarships available, don't we?
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

TruePoint wrote:Billyboy has been on this kid's recruitment almost as much as Preston haha
LOL. I admit I became a little obsessed after seeing him play. I have been talking to one of Jarvis' former coaches, Zander Tasch on twitter. Zander agreed that URI was the perfect situation for Jarvis. He said he was aware of our young talent and that we were a program on the rise. I asked if he was still close to Jarvis and if he was still in touch. He said, "yes". So, I kept saying "TALK TO HIM, TALK TO HIM." When Jarvis announced yesterday, I asked Zander if he had talked to Jarvis. He just gave me a one word answer, "yes". Obviously, all the credit for getting Jarvis goes to Preston and Dan, as it should. I just wonder if Zander gave Jarvis a little nudge.
Iggy1979
Sly Williams

Unread post by Iggy1979 »

This is the kind of national attention that leads to job offers:

Evan Daniels‏@EvanDaniels
Rhode Island assistant Preston Murphy played a big part in landing Jarvis Garret.
"Every season, college basketball has one or two teams that rise from dormancy to relevancy, squads that make long-awaited charges at the NCAA Tournament and become really fun storylines along the way."
CT Rhody
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by CT Rhody »

Additional job offers will continue to come for Murphy but remember URI is where he went to school. As URI upgrades this program and enhances the revenue from it, Hurley's package will increase which will increase the assistant coaches salaries. If Murphy continues to have recruiting success and grow as a coach, he might be a top candiate if Dan Hurley decides to leave 3+ years down the road.
Running Ram
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Running Ram »

CT Rhody wrote:Additional job offers will continue to come for Murphy but remember URI is where he went to school. As URI upgrades this program and enhances the revenue from it, Hurley's package will increase which will increase the assistant coaches salaries. If Murphy continues to have recruiting success and grow as a coach, he might be a top candiate if Dan Hurley decides to leave 3+ years down the road.
I bet current Admin see it that way as well, when they hired Hurley, Thor, while leaving it up to Hurley obviously, came out and publicly acknowledged a desire to keep Murphy on, if I remember correctly. I've said before, I remember thinking, when he was playing, he would make a great coach someday, very heady player. I'm willing to bet that Murphy won't be leaving for another assistant job somewhere, perhaps he'd be lured by a head job, but he may be comfortable and happy, excelling as a recruiter and gaining experience as a coach.
Go Rhody!!!
Birthplace of 'Fastbreak Basketball'
ATPTourFan
Frank Keaney

Coach PMurph would do well to stick around and cement his reputation and work on all aspects of his coaching so that he's in an ideal position to at least contend for the URI job whenever that happens.

When success comes, he may see a promotion to Associate and other compensation to make it easier to stick around. I think he can easily get himself to the level where other basketball programs outside RI would consider him as a head coach.
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

ramfan85
Carlton Owens

Unread post by ramfan85 »

If and when Dan ever leaves, there shouldn't even be one of our infamous search committees. Just give the job to Preston. How many recruits could we have lost over the years taking more time to get a coach than the govt. took to install Obamacare??
ATPTourFan
Frank Keaney

In fairness, I haven't seen Thorr use a committee to hire anyone. Those days are gone.
Iggy1979
Sly Williams

It matters what team comes calling, I found an article from a couple of years ago that the Michigan assistants were making $160,000 each, get bonuses based on wins in NCAAs, and get a "stay bonus" if they don't leave for another job.
Florida assistants get $235,000, $180,000 and $100,000.
I agree with Rambone: URI needs to start working toward getting Preston to $175,000.
"Every season, college basketball has one or two teams that rise from dormancy to relevancy, squads that make long-awaited charges at the NCAA Tournament and become really fun storylines along the way."
Iggy1979
Sly Williams

What's important to note about Garrett is he's the exact kind of PG that Hurley was looking for. He didn't want what he already had: big guards who can get into the lane offensively and can defend other big guards. At the Mew's he kept saying the team needed a "dynamic" PG. When he said that I kept thinking of Chaz Williams.
So they'll be minutes for Biggie and Garrett -- they play different styles and Hurley will want to be able to use both.
TJ can now play the 2/3 positions as needed.
huskyman
Zach "1 and Done" Marbury

Unread post by huskyman »

Zander is a great guy. Word had it that Jarvis had written URI off for greener pastures, Preston worked even harder. This is a staff score, not some twitter DM to a former NDP assistant. Murphy gets the W here
RoadyJay
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by RoadyJay »

Yeaaa baby!!!
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Taylor Swift
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Taylor Swift »

Yeahhhhh! You're the Photoshop Master!
Seawrightspostgame
Sly Williams

Unread post by Seawrightspostgame »

It has been noted before that Preston has put down roots in RI. I think I played against his Woonsocket team once.

Doesn't he have a kid? I thought I saw something about him at a youth event somewhere here or his twitter.

I would imagine the URI head job would be prime for both him and us "down the line" :D

Imagine him getting the job. His kid playing for St Andrews. Becoming a big prospect and giving us finally some ins to that pipeline.
I want to change my name to BlockIslandFerry
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Seawrightspostgame wrote:It has been noted before that Preston has put down roots in RI. I think I played against his Woonsocket team once.

Doesn't he have a kid? I thought I saw something about him at a youth event somewhere here or his twitter.

I would imagine the URI head job would be prime for both him and us "down the line" :D

Imagine him getting the job. His kid playing for St Andrews. Becoming a big prospect and giving us finally some ins to that pipeline.
I thought I remembered hearing that his wife is from RI. I could be wrong.
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Iggy1979 wrote:A side note, not that it matters, but it's typical recruiting BS that it's now being reported by Bill Koch and golocal that he picked URI over Marquette and Indiana. They never even offered. He picked URI over Creighton, and that's good enough for me.
He was also offered by St. Joe's and LaSalle.
Matunuck
Lamar Odom

Unread post by Matunuck »

I know we are getting off topic here, but the Patch ran an article on Barons contract in 2012. The article said Murphy had a base of $74,950. He also had paid fringe benefits of between $33,434 and $38,938. He also received vehicle and cell phone allotments of around $2000.
RF1
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by RF1 »

Billyboy78 wrote:
Seawrightspostgame wrote:It has been noted before that Preston has put down roots in RI. I think I played against his Woonsocket team once.

I thought I remembered hearing that his wife is from RI. I could be wrong.

I believe Preston's wife is from Pawtucket. This area has basically been home for him since coming to URI in 1994. He has now spent as much time in RI as he did growing up in MI.
Iggy1979
Sly Williams

So he'll stay in RI even if he's offered a big raise somewhere else? I don't think counting on that is much of a plan.
Running Ram
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Running Ram »

no no, that's not what I'm saying anyway, we definitely need to get him into the range of top A10 assistants, but I am saying if we do that then he would need to be blown away by an offer from another team to go be an assistant somewhere.
Go Rhody!!!
Birthplace of 'Fastbreak Basketball'
ace
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by ace »

Some nice quotes in here from Jarvis.

http://www.independentri.com/independen ... TNNoMobile
ATPTourFan
Frank Keaney

ace wrote:Some nice quotes in here from Jarvis.

http://www.independentri.com/independen ... TNNoMobile
On a day like this where we see the desperate tactics of struggling media outlets, we should all click through to this story to support Bill Koch and the South County Independent for providing top quality coverage of our team.
Seawrightspostgame
Sly Williams

Unread post by Seawrightspostgame »

Very happy to have a top guy out of the New England prep league again. I hope this works out so bad.

Happy that he acknowledges the PC game and has that feel for it. What the crowd can be like on your side.

The Ryan center is going to reach its potential here In a year or two.
I want to change my name to BlockIslandFerry
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Seawrightspostgame wrote:Very happy to have a top guy out of the New England prep league again. I hope this works out so bad.

Happy that he acknowledges the PC game and has that feel for it. What the crowd can be like on your side.

The Ryan center is going to reach its potential here In a year or two.
That's something that might be overlooked. There is so much talent in New England. Now that we've got one of them, hopefully there will be more to come in the future.
twisted3829
Carlton Owens

Unread post by twisted3829 »

does he shoot free throws well? lol
NOT IN OUR HOUSE
ram1980
Art Stephenson

Unread post by ram1980 »

This is a big get, but we are losing Munford.. Still need a couple of pieces.. Desperately need depth...
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by rambone 78 »

Another wing who can score, and another good big man.

I think we get at least one of them soon. Next year is going to be fun.
RAM67
Art Stephenson

Unread post by RAM67 »

A juco wing and the big Lithuanian. You heard it from Rambone first.
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

Damn right.
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

RAM67 wrote:A juco wing and the big Lithuanian. You heard it from Rambone first.
Marqyell Jackson is still out there.
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

So is Purcell, and a few others.
bigappleram
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by bigappleram »

as well as 5th year guys who haven't revealed themselves yet.