[OFFICIAL] Hurley Signs Extension With URI

Talk about the men's team, upcoming opponents and news from around college hoop.
Ben
Abdul Fox

Re: [UPDATE] Hurley Reportedly Signing Extension With URI

Unread post by Ben »

Oh... shut up, Iggy. Why was I not allowed to say that I was worried yesterday? I think the Hurleys are great and I have always hoped that they would never leave. And, for the record, I hope that nothing negative ever happens to URI again. Having said that, I also hope to win the Powerball lottery and want to live to be 150. I love how certain people are not allowed to speak honestly here. All because I was down on Jim Baron early on and often...? News flash: I was right. And I spoke out about it because I WANTED WHAT WAS BEST (a new coach, like Hurley) FOR URI.

Settle down, Iggy. I'm actually one of the good guys.
Last edited by Ben 11 years ago, edited 2 times in total.
ace
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by ace »

One did leave. Go Bulls!
Section104
Art Stephenson

Unread post by Section104 »

The auctions on gorhody.com are pretty cool. I won a 1998-1999 warmup jacket and received it in the mail a few days later from Laprey.
Sweep The Leg
Tom Garrick

Unread post by Sweep The Leg »

This is the time to maximize the ROI in the Rhody BB program and that will be the Ryan Center. I'm not in the know with how the Ryan Center is operated, but has there been any talk of removing the food outlets and leasing that space to franchises like Dunkin' Donuts, Panera and a fast food place (not sure if Pepsi or Coke is under contract with the RC which would affect which ones are options) as the franchise would handle everthing itself. If Rhody still wants a presence, have one outlet be the Other Rams Den.

And if the program is going to be successful as we think it will be, negotiate more sponsor ads. I believe we'll be on national TV a lot more soon and that means more national exposure for those corporations. Does anyone has the naming rights on the top of the backboard and supports?

I'm not worried about ticket sales because if you build a successful program, they will come. But for those who may not live close to the RI area, Rhody needs a partner to air every single game. Cox cable is horrible. Can Rhody produce the games themselves? Use interns for the production aspect and qualified local announcers on air? And put on local access or online?
'No Mercy.'
Rhodymob05
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhodymob05 »

Excuse me if this was already explained, but what was it that Hurley asked from the university to support the basketball program?
GO RAMS
RhodyO
Abdul Fox

Unread post by RhodyO »

Sweep The Leg wrote:This is the time to maximize the ROI in the Rhody BB program and that will be the Ryan Center. I'm not in the know with how the Ryan Center is operated, but has there been any talk of removing the food outlets and leasing that space to franchises like Dunkin' Donuts, Panera and a fast food place (not sure if Pepsi or Coke is under contract with the RC which would affect which ones are options) as the franchise would handle everthing itself. If Rhody still wants a presence, have one outlet be the Other Rams Den.

And if the program is going to be successful as we think it will be, negotiate more sponsor ads. I believe we'll be on national TV a lot more soon and that means more national exposure for those corporations. Does anyone has the naming rights on the top of the backboard and supports?

I'm not worried about ticket sales because if you build a successful program, they will come. But for those who may not live close to the RI area, Rhody needs a partner to air every single game. Cox cable is horrible. Can Rhody produce the games themselves? Use interns for the production aspect and qualified local announcers on air? And put on local access or online?

What ever happened to Dels?
steviep123
Sly Williams

Unread post by steviep123 »

Section104 wrote:The auctions on gorhody.com are pretty cool. I won a 1998-1999 warmup jacket and received it in the mail a few days later from Laprey.
Jerk - you beat me on that one ;)

Congrats - that was sweet!
Bleed Keaney Blue!

”I'm not coming there to be in the top 3 of the Atlantic 10. I'm coming to win the damn thing!”
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by rambone 78 »

Rhodymob5, the upgrades are centered around improved training facilities, and more charter flights to and from away games.

No more 6 hour bus rides to Philly.

I'm sure some on here know more than I do about it, but that's most of it.
rjsuperfly66
Carlton Owens

Unread post by rjsuperfly66 »

So let's say URI doesn't hold up their end of the bargain, does Hurley get a pay out?

Or are these perks expected in good faith?

Either way, talk about a win-win. It's extremely important given the changes in conference structure that Hurley keep URI in step with the big boys.
Rhody74
Sly Williams

Unread post by Rhody74 »

rjsuperfly66 wrote:So let's say URI doesn't hold up their end of the bargain, does Hurley get a pay out?

Or are these perks expected in good faith?

Either way, talk about a win-win. It's extremely important given the changes in conference structure that Hurley keep URI in step with the big boys.
Who knows, outside of the principals and their lawyers? Thorr and Hurley have a great relationship, so I imagine some of it is quid pro quo. But if Hurley were smart (and I'm sure he is) there will be contract language that will commit URI in case Thorr or Dooley leaves.
Slava Ukraini!
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

These assurances will be in writing, in the language of the agreement.

URI must follow through on them, or else the contract could be voided.

I imagine there will be some flexibility built into the extension agreement, at least. Things always could change.

I'm not a lawyer, but I know enough of them.
Blue Man
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Blue Man »

Does anyone else feel like a 'nam vet with PTSD? or a battered spouse?

The last weeks I've just had flashbacks to april fools '99. Just felt like we weren't worth a coach like Dan or an AD like Thorr.

How awesome is it that Dan wants what we want...a commitment to winning at basketball from URI. THAT'S ALL HE WANTS.

God damn does it feel good to be a ram.
If you say you’re a Rhody fan, I know you are my brother. For you have suffered as I have suffered.

Give to the Athletic Director's Fund

Give to Rhody's NIL
rodfromcranston
Frank Keaney

Unread post by rodfromcranston »

Dan Hurley ‏@dhurley15 9m
We won on the court/strength work today.Great effort and attitude.Must now win in class & in study hall.Teams that put in the extra work win
< Arthur is my spirit animal.
Ramulous
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Ramulous »

I take it Hurley is back in RI by this last tweet.........let's get the extension signed please!
F*ck Alacki, DarthFriar, DirtyBeanFriar94, xCoachK, Boxworth, Friar Faithful, bicycleicycle, Matt_Keough, Patrick Norton, the Rosato brothers, and especially Benjamin Lord !
steviep123
Sly Williams

Great quote!

My fiance is a Michigan grad, so she's very excited for tonight. I hope one day in the next decade, we'll be able to share her excitement for the same reason!!!

Until then, Go Blue and Go Rhody!!!!
Bleed Keaney Blue!

”I'm not coming there to be in the top 3 of the Atlantic 10. I'm coming to win the damn thing!”
Mbang Magic
Jim Eitner

Unread post by Mbang Magic »

Hurley buying students lunch at the Burger Shack in the emporium today. Now would a guy who plans on leaving do such a thing?
Rhodymob05
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhodymob05 »

Hurley is out and about today in the URI emporium buying students lunch. I couldn't make it but I LOVE IT. This guys gonna be loved like Bruce Pearl, Coack K and anyone else who wanted to connect with the fanbase
GO RAMS
Mongo
ARD

Unread post by Mongo »

Coach Hurley has been very active on twitter in the past 48 hours, I love it. There is so much I like about Dan Hurley, I really hope URI steps up and makes all the improvements. I am putting in a nice donation today. Go Rhody....
rodfromcranston
Frank Keaney

He got what he wants, so it's back to work.
He hates losing, and he'said "This will never happen to me again!"
So, he'll bust his and everyone else's butt to make sure he has
the team honed for 2013-14.
This guy is different, for sure.
Only coach who ever picked up the restaurant dinner tab for my family one night.
ATPTourFan
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ATPTourFan »

I'm going to set up my largest donation yet (w company match) this week. Send the signals that the fans/alumni will respond to these open commitments to excellence.
Support Coach Miller & Rhody Basketball! Give to the Athletic Director's Fund
steviep123
Sly Williams

Awesome. I haven't donated since early in the Baron error.

That's about to change!!
Bleed Keaney Blue!

seanmc94
Tom Garrick

Unread post by seanmc94 »

Hurley plagiarized Cooley with the "brick by brick" line in the projo today.
He obviously has no moral compass
(Kidding, in case the sarcasm doesn't translate)
Warning: area protected by guard donkey
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

Already done. I'll bet the mailbox will be full of checks this week.
steviep123
Sly Williams

seanmc94 wrote:Hurley plagiarized Cooley with the "brick by brick" line in the projo today.
I know that's sarcasm, but I'm sure about 173,644 different coaches have used that term. Not exactly a new idea.

As long as he doesn't mention "the process"....I don't think I could take it!
Bleed Keaney Blue!

Rhody74
Sly Williams

Unread post by Rhody74 »

steviep123 wrote:
seanmc94 wrote:Hurley plagiarized Cooley with the "brick by brick" line in the projo today.
I know that's sarcasm, but I'm sure about 173,644 different coaches have used that term. Not exactly a new idea.

As long as he doesn't mention "the process"....I don't think I could take it!
Dan's probably contractually prohibited from using that phrase .... ;-)
Slava Ukraini!
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

When Baron used the word "process", he meant he was in the "process" of collecting his check.

In the end, that's about all he did.
scine20
ARD

Unread post by scine20 »

Baron didn't specify how long the "process" would be. For all we know he meant a 20 year "process" in which case URI should have given him another 9 years to complete the "process."
rodfromcranston
Frank Keaney

'74 calls the coming years "The Golden Age of URI basketball.
Does that make the CFL error, "The Golden Showers of URI basketball"?
Ramulous
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Ramulous »

Close Rod......The Ice Age.....
F*ck Alacki, DarthFriar, DirtyBeanFriar94, xCoachK, Boxworth, Friar Faithful, bicycleicycle, Matt_Keough, Patrick Norton, the Rosato brothers, and especially Benjamin Lord !
Sweep The Leg
Tom Garrick

Unread post by Sweep The Leg »

rodfromcranston wrote:'74 calls the coming years "The Golden Age of URI basketball.
In the words of the Ladies' Man, 'Yeah, that's disgusting.'
'No Mercy.'
ramfan85
Carlton Owens

Unread post by ramfan85 »

The McPoop Years....I love that name.
Sir Ramalot
Frenchy Tomlin

Unread post by Sir Ramalot »

Another excellent idea for a donation to the basketball program is to donate for the upcoming Italy trip. I believe that they are looking to raise funding above and beyond what is needed for the trip, with the balance being used for other improvements to the program. This would be a restricted donation to men's basketball. I donated to the Italy trip two weeks ago.
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

I think that they're going to raise whatever they need, with the recent developments concerning Hurley staying.

There should be hundreds of new donations coming in soon.

Speaking of donations, did you see where some of Rutgers' major boosters, are considering stopping their giving, in light of the mess that's continuing to unfold there?

They've hired an interim AD, but it's going to take a while to find a permanent replacement.

Who's going to want to coach the BB team? Good luck.
theblueram
Frank Keaney

Unread post by theblueram »

I will be at the Calverley Society level for next year for the first time ever. So I guess there will be beer at the Ryan Center next year :o. See you in the Alumni Lounge!
seanmc94
Tom Garrick

Sweep The Leg wrote:
rodfromcranston wrote:'74 calls the coming years "The Golden Age of URI basketball.
In the words of the Ladies' Man, 'Yeah, that's disgusting.'
The ladies man is an underrated film
rodfromcranston
Frank Keaney

I could probably make the Jerry D level.
It's my understanding that Ramfan85 wants
badly to be in the Ellie LeMaire Society.
theblueram
Frank Keaney

Unread post by theblueram »

rodfromcranston wrote:I could probably make the Jerry D level.
Rod
Your welcome to be my guest anytime you want(you know where to find me). I wasn't boasting or anything. I am just excited about this program and glad to be able to contribute. I refused to contribute to the CFL. I was a grad student in 98. Watched the games while my tv sat on top of the box it came in because I had no furniture, wishing I was at the games. I am lucky and proud to be a URI grad.
rjsuperfly66
Carlton Owens

The guy who broke all of the Big East split rumors had this to say tonight about Rutgers ...

Rutgers will use input from Big Ten commissioner Jim Delany in its search for a new Director of Athletics…Wisconsin Associate AD Sean T. Frazier getting more and more support….Rhode Island coach Danny Hurley is still in the Rutgers mix, despite having 2-year contract extension offer from URI. When he signs is much a question as if he signs.

=-------------------------------------------------------------

I find it oddly strange that this stuff keeps getting sent around the interwebs .... If anything, the stuff from today about Hurley around campus was very encouraging. Would a guy potentially looking to leave really be mingling with the students and faculty? He would have to be a real psychopath.

http://ajerseyguy.com/?p=6483
Rhody74
Sly Williams

Unread post by Rhody74 »

rjsuperfly66 wrote:The guy who broke all of the Big East split rumors had this to say tonight about Rutgers ...

Rutgers will use input from Big Ten commissioner Jim Delany in its search for a new Director of Athletics…Wisconsin Associate AD Sean T. Frazier getting more and more support….Rhode Island coach Danny Hurley is still in the Rutgers mix, despite having 2-year contract extension offer from URI. When he signs is much a question as if he signs.

I find it oddly strange that this stuff keeps getting sent around the interwebs .... If anything, the stuff from today about Hurley around campus was very encouraging. Would a guy potentially looking to leave really be mingling with the students and faculty? He would have to be a real psychopath.

Sounds like wishful thinking Rutgers sources. I don't think Hurley would have been so upfront if he was still considering it.
Slava Ukraini!
rjsuperfly66
Carlton Owens

Rhody74 wrote:
rjsuperfly66 wrote:The guy who broke all of the Big East split rumors had this to say tonight about Rutgers ...

Sounds like wishful thinking Rutgers sources. I don't think Hurley would have been so upfront if he was still considering it.
Like I said over on my site, it makes no sense for him to be so actively promoting himself around the school if he would really actively consider another job. Instead of buying kids lunch, he would be better off hiding away in his office. Instead of tweeting about team progress, he would be better off just staying quiet and off the grid. This guy has hit on enough stories to have some credibility, but I agree, seems to me that he is almost indicating that the extension would not scare Rutgers away from Hurley, but sort of like Zags has been saying, doesn't mean Hurley would go to Rutgers.
seanmc94
Tom Garrick

I agree with 74; Rutgers may call, but URI has made a big commitment. DH stays put.
ace
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by ace »

rjsuperfly66 wrote:I find it oddly strange that this stuff keeps getting sent around the interwebs .... If anything, the stuff from today about Hurley around campus was very encouraging. Would a guy potentially looking to leave really be mingling with the students and faculty? He would have to be a real psychopath.
Why do you find it oddly strange? Journalists and bloggers can be just as lazy as anyone else.

And I think you mean sociopath not psychopath. Either way, I'm not concerned.
rodfromcranston
Frank Keaney

More shit stirring from people sad that Hurley is solidly committed to URI
and building the program.
Blueman, I was just having a chuckle about the names of the levels.
SmartyBarrett
Sly Williams

Unread post by SmartyBarrett »

Just texted a writer friend who knows nothing about Rhody, but who has had a few run ins with blauds. He texted back saying "he doesn't know shit".
rodfromcranston
Frank Keaney

Of course, the fans of the school about to lose their biggest recruit ever,
are still babbling that Hurley could leave any second, his extension means nothing
and bullshit, bullshit, bullshit!
Where do these idiots come from?
bigappleram
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by bigappleram »

according to the godfather its run ricky run by this time tomorrow.
ramfan85
Carlton Owens

Unread post by ramfan85 »

rodfromcranston wrote:I could probably make the Jerry D level.
Who doesn't love our "First Ramette"?

Rutgers seems to put their heads in the sand (or up their asses) alot.

I wanted to join at the Baron Level until I realized I could never get any higher.
seanmc94
Tom Garrick

rodfromcranston wrote:Of course, the fans of the school about to lose their biggest recruit ever,
are still babbling that Hurley could leave any second, his extension means nothing
and bullshit, bullshit, bullshit!
Where do these idiots come from?
One poster commented on the same article that has been discussed here. Quit making things up.
rjsuperfly66
Carlton Owens

bigappleram wrote:according to the godfather its run ricky run by this time tomorrow.
While it would have been nice for RL to play for the Friars next year, at best the odds were always 50-50 on a good day. He has been working out for NBA scouts practically all season and knows what it would take for him to go pro. From a good source who asked RL himself if he would play for the Friars next year earlier this month, "Man, I don't know. If they telling me I could be first round, it'll be tough to turn down."

Any Friar fan surprised by his decision to leave is a glutton for punishment. If anything, it should have been wishful thinking (and a surprise) if he decided to come back.

As for the Hurley stuff, Andy Katz made a similar remark yesterday about not ruling Hurley out for Rutgers, but basically called it unlikely. The summarization was basically that the extension meant little, but that Hurley loves his team, is in a good situation, and would be tough to go to a 3rd team in 3 years that is as unstable as Rutgers is at the present moment. Even with B1G money, with all of the buyouts between the AD, coach, etc., do they have the money to blow away a guy like Hurley (which is what it would take)?
ATPTourFan
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ATPTourFan »

Hurley's here to stay. Can we move on and accept that?

BTW, didn't see anyone share these tweeted pics from Dan's appearance at Burger Shack
Support Coach Miller & Rhody Basketball! Give to the Athletic Director's Fund