Asst. Coach Posting?

Talk about the men's team, upcoming opponents and news from around college hoop.
RhodyRams12
Jimmy Baron

Re: Asst. Coach Posting?

Unread post by RhodyRams12 »

DC_Rams wrote: 4 years ago
bigappleram wrote: 4 years ago I get that but in his special role that I believe restricts his ability to recruit and interact with players. I am talking about the core 3 assistants of last year (Sutton, Carroll, ty) and now Sutton, TJ and Austin.
Would like to learn more about the special assistant role.
This is from Kevin McNamara's Projo article after PC hired Bob Walsh in what appears to be a similar role:

"Under NCAA rules Division One programs are allowed three full-time assistant coaches who are able to leave campus and recruit. The extra staff members contribute in scouting, video work, travel coordination and other program needs."

https://www.providencejournal.com/sport ... providence
Common sense is not common.
DC_Rams
Sly Williams

Unread post by DC_Rams »

Rhody83 wrote: 4 years ago There you go. Rhody didn’t have enough money in the assistant salary pool to hire an experienced assistant (even after saving money by hiring TJ) so they used it to hire an inexperienced person and his father.

From the article
The Journal has learned Carroll is expected to be retained as a special assistant to Cox and will be paid through the $425,000 staff salary pool at his disposal.

Edit:
Salary pool $425,000
Sutton $179,000
Remainder $246,000
Avg for 3 remaining $82,000
Embarrassing
Can’t win world titles fights with one hand tied behind your back.

Only one thing left to do with the lemons...right?
Rhodymob05
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhodymob05 »

Thats good money where I come from lol.
GO RAMS
Rhody83
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhody83 »

RhodyRams12 wrote: 4 years ago
bigappleram wrote: 4 years ago I get that but in his special role that I believe restricts his ability to recruit and interact with players. I am talking about the core 3 assistants of last year (Sutton, Carroll, ty) and now Sutton, TJ and Austin.
Would like to learn more about the special assistant role.
This is from Kevin McNamara's Projo article after PC hired Bob Walsh in what appears to be a similar role:

"Under NCAA rules Division One programs are allowed three full-time assistant coaches who are able to leave campus and recruit. The extra staff members contribute in scouting, video work, travel coordination and other program needs."

https://www.providencejournal.com/sport ... providence
KMac isn’t the best source. He does very little research
The 4th guy (John Carroll) is also prohibited from participating in practices and any on court one-on-one coaching. UConn went thru this under Ollie when Kevin Freeman was DBO and assistant coach in waiting. He wasn’t allowed on the floor during practices. He use to sit in the stands at every practice. Freeman btw was making $165,000 as DBO.
“We will be good when we are good.”
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by rambone 78 »

Hard to believe they can't find money for the senior Carroll's salary outside of the assistants' pool.

One thing's for sure, if TJ and junior Carroll do well, they will be gone in a flash if that pool isn't increased [and by a lot] and soon.

UConn is in another world when it comes to staff pay. If we want to be as good as they will be, we will have to pony up. It's sad, really.
RF1
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by RF1 »

rambone 78 wrote: 4 years ago Hard to believe they can't find money for the senior Carroll's salary outside of the assistants' pool.

One thing's for sure, if TJ and junior Carroll do well, they will be gone in a flash if that pool isn't increased [and by a lot] and soon.

UConn is in another world when it comes to staff pay. If we want to be as good as they will be, we will have to pony up. It's sad, really.
Hurley had twice as much money for his assistant coaches salary pool at his disposal in Storrs compared to Kingston. The UConn pool was $815,000 last year compared to URI at $425,000. Rhody is never going to get good experienced assistants under most circumstances and won't keep young up and coming assistants for very long (see Skerry, Murphy, and Murray) with its low salaries. Thorr's 6% increase last year in no way changed that dynamic.

The question is once again - what is URI doing with its increased men's basketball revenues and head coach salary savings? Nothing appreciable can be seen being invested back into the program.
Last edited by RF1 4 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

Maybe Shane can enlighten us, as much as he can?
Iggy1979
Sly Williams

Unread post by Iggy1979 »

RF1 wrote: 4 years ago
rambone 78 wrote: 4 years ago Hard to believe they can't find money for the senior Carroll's salary outside of the assistants' pool.

Hurley had twice as much money for his assistant coaches salary pool at his disposal in Storrs compared to Kingston. The UConn pool was $815,000 last year compared to URI at $425,000. Rhody is never going to get good experienced assistants under most circumstances and won't keep young up and coming assistants for very long (see Skerry, Murphy, and Murray) with its low salaries. Thorr's 6% increase last year in no way changed that dynamic.

The question is once gain - what is URI doing with its increased men's basketball revenues and head coach salary savings? Nothing appreciable can be seen being invested back into the program.
This question needs to be asked of Thorr in a public setting
"Every season, college basketball has one or two teams that rise from dormancy to relevancy, squads that make long-awaited charges at the NCAA Tournament and become really fun storylines along the way."
Rhody83
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhody83 »

sevegny7
Art Stephenson

Unread post by sevegny7 »

I have grown increasingly tired of Thor and the reluctance to get things done at a swift pace or investing in ourselves as a program over the last several years. I feel like a lot of the quotes about some of the program enhancements Thor has had post Hurley departure immediately after was to rub the fan base back. No evidence that we are any closer to any type of investment into our program now then 2 years ago when Hurley left. Sometimes as a program you need to have a vision that it will be beneficial in the long term and not necessarily pay off initially but put you in a place to sustain excellence. Constantly under Thor I hear that the coach has his hands tied or one hand behind his back both in hurley and cox era. This is even with an increase in resources within the program. And as healthy a fanbase and following as we have had in at least a decade. I have decreasing confidence by the month that Thor can be the leader of a program that is say National Relevance year in and year out. And reach that goal that every mid major is after being the next Gonzaga or even competing at a level of a Dayton and VCU. I think we can have spans where will will be up with Dayton and VCU. But if investments are not made very soon in next few years. I am scared of the turnouts.
section(105)
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by section(105) »

.......more money from tapping revenue sources not being utilized; parking, seat premiums, like the other big boys do, wanna run with the big dogs, gotta get off the porch, money ain’t coming from Gna and the GA......ground we plowed here all the time, look back over some posts Blueman has made over time.......hey, Thorr got lights and turf.....big accomplishments w/o much, if any state money......we are what we are for the foreseeable future, strongly compete in the A-10 every year......then pray for sugar daddy.......
Ram logo via Grist 1938
Rhody83
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhody83 »

section(105) wrote: 4 years ago .......more money from tapping revenue sources not being utilized; parking, seat premiums, like the other big boys do, wanna run with the big dogs, gotta get off the porch, money ain’t coming from Gna and the GA......ground we plowed here all the time, look back over some posts Blueman has made over time.......hey, Thorr got lights and turf.....big accomplishments w/o much, if any state money......we are what we are for the foreseeable future, strongly compete in the A-10 every year......then pray for sugar daddy.......
Rhody isn’t going to compete financially with the big boys but how about competing with the A10 financially.
If you take the additional revenue and cost savings I posted earlier in this thread it is $1.5 million per year for each of the 5 years of the Cox contract. Where is that money going? We couldn’t get $50-$75,000 per year added to the assistant coaches’ salary pool? Chase Campbell submitted a $50,000 request to create a MBB Strength & Conditioning area with upgraded equipment after being encouraged by Coach Cox and didn’t get it.

Thorr did say publicly that the NCAA Tournament revenue would be allocated across all sports and the MBB would get its prorated share (whatever % MBB is of the total budget for all teams). If you take that money out, there is still $700,000 per year for each of the 5 years ($400,000 savings/year to Hurley’s last salary and $1.5 million from UConn & Hurley for his buyout).

The football field upgrades were 100% from donor money specific for that project and not from the Athletic Dept budget.
raminwarwick
Abdul Fox

Unread post by raminwarwick »

Our biggest rival is PC. Cooley makes 3million + per year. Rhody's whole BB staff is nowhere near that. You could most likely put in the weight coach, trainers, secretaries salaries and still not equal Cooley.
There is talk in this tread of how Austin and TJ won't be here in a few years because of salary. If we do what we hope and expect how long will Cox be here?
Rhody83
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhody83 »

raminwarwick wrote: 4 years ago Our biggest rival is PC. Cooley makes 3million + per year. Rhody's whole BB staff is nowhere near that. You could most likely put in the weight coach, trainers, secretaries salaries and still not equal Cooley.
There is talk in this tread of how Austin and TJ won't be here in a few years because of salary. If we do what we hope and expect how long will Cox be here?
If Cox delivers like Dan did, his contract we be renegotiated several times. Dan was at $1.1 million his last year and reportedly received an offer from URI around $2 million before deciding to accept the UConn job.

URI is never going to compete financially with the Big East schools. They can be very successful competing against the top of the A10. To sustain a top A10 program going to the NCAA Tournament frequently they need to come up with money like their top tier competitors in the A10. Increase the pay for assistant coaches and build a practice facility.
STC
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by STC »

I voted horrible. I think we have gotten worse on the recruiting trail and are severely lacking in in-game coaching experience.
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by Billyboy78 »

I'd like to hear the reasoning behind those who voted "excellent".
DC_Rams
Sly Williams

Unread post by DC_Rams »

STC wrote: 4 years ago I voted horrible. I think we have gotten worse on the recruiting trail and are severely lacking in in-game coaching experience.
Based on what?
section(105)
Ernie Calverley

.......champagne taste on beer budget......regarding competing with big boys of the A-10......let me ask you all this.......seriously now, would you react negatively if you were charged say $5.00 for parking? Forget the logistics of collecting it......
Ram logo via Grist 1938
theblueram
Frank Keaney

Unread post by theblueram »

section(105) wrote: 4 years ago .......champagne taste on beer budget......regarding competing with big boys of the A-10......let me ask you all this.......seriously now, would you react negatively if you were charged say $5.00 for parking? Forget the logistics of collecting it......
As long as it went to Basketball I wouldn't mind. But, you know that would never happen. So yes, I would object.
reckless jake
ARD

Unread post by reckless jake »

Reading this thread makes you wonder how this administration ever got us to the NCAA tourney, even while Dan Hurley was coaching here.

In their private, family moments Dan, Bobby and their Dad must have been simultaneously astonished and pissed at the level of amateurism and ineptitude of the athletic administration.

It also provides clearer insight into why Hurley left. Resource-wise we're like a D-II program compared to UConn.

All of which makes me very sad as a life-long Rhody fan. I sincerely thought this time it would be different, and we would build a "program" off of our recent success.
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

Carroll comes to the Rams after spending the last five seasons on the Arizona staff. During the 2018-19 season, he was promoted to assistant coach after serving as the assistant director of operations for the previous two years, and spent two years as a graduate assistant with the program.

"Austin Carroll is a bright basketball mind who I have known for many years," said Cox, who was an assistant coach at Rutgers when Carroll played there. "While he is in the early stages of his career, Austin understands the game inside and out, and he has the ability to relate to players. He brings a lot to the table, and I am excited to add him to our staff."

At Arizona, Carroll oversaw video scouting efforts and was responsible for the organization, breakdown, scouting and presentation of game film. He also handled player edits for individual players' use, created recruiting videos and film for coaches' evaluation. The Massachusetts native also helped oversee the program's progress in the classroom.

During his first five seasons with the Wildcats, Arizona was 135-41 with four NCAA Championship appearances and three Pac-12 tournament titles. Arizona reached the Elite 8 in 2015 and the Sweet 16 in 2017.

Carroll also has international experience, working with Arizona head coach Sean Miller as the video coordinator for Team USA's U-19 team that won the gold medal in the 2015 FIBA World Championships in Greece. Carroll is the son of former Rhode Island assistant coach John Carroll.
theblueram
Frank Keaney

ramster wrote: 4 years ago Carroll comes to the Rams after spending the last five seasons on the Arizona staff. During the 2018-19 season, he was promoted to assistant coach after serving as the assistant director of operations for the previous two years, and spent two years as a graduate assistant with the program.

"Austin Carroll is a bright basketball mind who I have known for many years," said Cox, who was an assistant coach at Rutgers when Carroll played there. "While he is in the early stages of his career, Austin understands the game inside and out, and he has the ability to relate to players. He brings a lot to the table, and I am excited to add him to our staff."

At Arizona, Carroll oversaw video scouting efforts and was responsible for the organization, breakdown, scouting and presentation of game film. He also handled player edits for individual players' use, created recruiting videos and film for coaches' evaluation. The Massachusetts native also helped oversee the program's progress in the classroom.

During his first five seasons with the Wildcats, Arizona was 135-41 with four NCAA Championship appearances and three Pac-12 tournament titles. Arizona reached the Elite 8 in 2015 and the Sweet 16 in 2017.

Carroll also has international experience, working with Arizona head coach Sean Miller as the video coordinator for Team USA's U-19 team that won the gold medal in the 2015 FIBA World Championships in Greece. Carroll is the son of former Rhode Island assistant coach John Carroll.
Hey Ramster, can you list the recruits Carroll was credited for bringing into the Arizona team? That would help immensely.
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

theblueram wrote: 4 years ago
ramster wrote: 4 years ago Carroll comes to the Rams after spending the last five seasons on the Arizona staff. During the 2018-19 season, he was promoted to assistant coach after serving as the assistant director of operations for the previous two years, and spent two years as a graduate assistant with the program.

Hey Ramster, can you list the recruits Carroll was credited for bringing into the Arizona team? That would help immensely.
Wood.......oh wait.
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

Unread post by NYGFan_Section208 »

Hopefully, he's at the season ticket holder shindig in a couple weeks and we can all wish him good luck face-to-face.
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

NYGFan_Section208 wrote: 4 years ago Hopefully, he's at the season ticket holder shindig in a couple weeks and we can all wish him good luck face-to-face.
Along with his Dad as well.
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

Unread post by TruePoint »

If you're going to just copy and paste the gorhody.com press release about it, can you at least credit it to the source so it doesn't appear to a less informed person that you are reporting out the story with quotes from the coach?
"If you build it, they will come." --Us, circa 2011
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

TruePoint wrote: 4 years ago

If you're going to just copy and paste the gorhody.com press release about it, can you at least credit it to the source so it doesn't appear to a less informed person that you are reporting out the story with quotes from the coach?
It’s from Gorhody.com

It was quite apparent from the comments that few were reading it. Surprised how few refer to the schools own website. I copied it because it was clear some are either too lazy to look at the factual article or just don’t know where to look.
Surprised how unliked this hire is here after 17 pages of speculation.

Here’s the link to go Rhody.com

https://gorhody.com/sports/m-baskbl/201 ... 0902zaylim
Running Ram
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Running Ram »

reckless jake wrote: 4 years ago Reading this thread makes you wonder how this administration ever got us to the NCAA tourney, even while Dan Hurley was coaching here.

In their private, family moments Dan, Bobby and their Dad must have been simultaneously astonished and pissed at the level of amateurism and ineptitude of the athletic administration.

It also provides clearer insight into why Hurley left. Resource-wise we're like a D-II program compared to UConn.

All of which makes me very sad as a life-long Rhody fan. I sincerely thought this time it would be different, and we would build a "program" off of our recent success.
This
Go Rhody!!!
Birthplace of 'Fastbreak Basketball'
RhodyKyle
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by RhodyKyle »

ramster wrote: 4 years ago

Wood.......oh wait.
He was an assistant for ONE SEASON....how many assistants sign players in their first year on the job? And I don't mean first year with a team, I mean first year as an assistant ever. It takes years of building relationships with young kids that blossoms into signed recruits.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
theblueram
Frank Keaney

RhodyKyle wrote: 4 years ago

Wood.......oh wait.
He was an assistant for ONE SEASON....how many assistants sign players in their first year on the job? And I don't mean first year with a team, I mean first year as an assistant ever. It takes years of building relationships with young kids that blossoms into signed recruits.
That was exactly my point. We have two assistants in basically their 1st year as a coach. There are no relationships already built to entice someone to come here.
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

All we can do is hope that they become very good assistants and by extension good recruiters.

TJ is already showing potential.
adam914
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by adam914 »

RhodyKyle wrote: 4 years ago He was an assistant for ONE SEASON....how many assistants sign players in their first year on the job? And I don't mean first year with a team, I mean first year as an assistant ever. It takes years of building relationships with young kids that blossoms into signed recruits.
This is definitely true and a valid point, and thats also why you don't hire two assistants that are both in that same position. Even more so when the 3rd assistant isn't exactly someone who has been killing it on the recruiting trail either.
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

Unread post by TruePoint »

rambone 78 wrote: 4 years ago All we can do is hope that they become very good assistants and by extension good recruiters.

TJ is already showing potential.
I wouldn’t be surprised at all if both TJ and Austin become really good coaches and in five years they’re both well regarded and have very good recruiting networks, etc. The problem is that does absolutely nothing for us right now, and we aren’t in a position where the program is just selling itself to high caliber recruits. To the extent I have an issue with the hires of TJ and Austin (as a combo - I don’t have an issue with either one independently), it has nothing to do with what I think of them or their potential and everything to do with where we are buying in in their career life cycles.
"If you build it, they will come." --Us, circa 2011
Iggy1979
Sly Williams

I agree 100 % with TP. The search was seriously flawed and the staff is too young for a program that is not rebuilding.
That said, I'm moving on and I welcome Austin.
"Every season, college basketball has one or two teams that rise from dormancy to relevancy, squads that make long-awaited charges at the NCAA Tournament and become really fun storylines along the way."
Rhody83
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhody83 »

Iggy1979 wrote: 4 years ago I agree 100 % with TP. The search was seriously flawed and the staff is too young for a program that is not rebuilding.
That said, I'm moving on and I welcome Austin.
Agree. At one point less than two weeks ago, Cox told others that he was thinking of changing his search approach and going after candidates known for their recruiting. It shows to me that Cox himself has concerns about the staff’s ability to recruit.
Rhody83
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhody83 »

Props to Iggy for being the first to break this. Solid sources as always
Iggy1979 wrote: 4 years ago Hearing Carroll might be given an administrative job and they've interviewed his son for the coaching job
Rhody74
Sly Williams

Unread post by Rhody74 »

IIWT (In Iggy We Trust!)
Slava Ukraini!
Rhody83
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhody83 »

Rhody83 wrote: 4 years ago On a related subject, the DBO position is open until end of the day tomorrow.
A wild card for the spot could be Ryan McCloskey.
https://jobs.uri.edu/postings/6188
Why hasn’t Ryan McCloskey been announced as DBO? Are they going to fill the Video Coordinator position or is Ryan going to handle two full time jobs? The Video Coordinator job hasn’t been posted.

The article on July 15th announcing Carroll’s resignation and the assistant coach hiring process also stated “this will ensure that the URI Basketball staff will be complete by mid August”. The DBO position was open at that point so I assumed this meant that position would also be filled also.
DC_Rams
Sly Williams

Unread post by DC_Rams »

The only thing these hirings prove is that Cox will continue recruiting as tirelessly he has in the past until the young guys get their bearings. It’s not ideal, but I truly believe things will work themselves out and take shape. I am loving our roster for next season.
theblueram
Frank Keaney

DC_Rams wrote: 4 years ago The only thing these hirings prove is that Cox will continue recruiting as tirelessly he has in the past until the young guys get their bearings. It’s not ideal, but I truly believe things will work themselves out and take shape. I am loving our roster for next season.
Well the good thing is DC is a great recruiter. But how much time can he spend on the trail? Not ideal but if he can do it, then we should still get good recruits
DC_Rams
Sly Williams

Unread post by DC_Rams »

DC_Rams wrote: 4 years ago The only thing these hirings prove is that Cox will continue recruiting as tirelessly he has in the past until the young guys get their bearings. It’s not ideal, but I truly believe things will work themselves out and take shape. I am loving our roster for next season.
Well the good thing is DC is a great recruiter. But how much time can he spend on the trail? Not ideal but if he can do it, then we should still get good recruits
He will get them. His ties to the DMV are too strong not to bear fruit.
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

Rhody83 wrote: 4 years ago Props to Iggy for being the first to break this. Solid sources as always
Iggy1979 wrote: 4 years ago Hearing Carroll might be given an administrative job and they've interviewed his son for the coaching job
To be expected. Iggy has a long history of dependability in obtaining key information - long before twitter, Instagram, text messaging, internet.........
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

He will get them. His ties to the DMV are too strong not to bear fruit.

Key addition is John Carroll. He can and will help in his new capacity. Carroll was HC at Duquesne god 6 years, he was HC for the Boston Celtics for a short period. He knows the ropes. David Cox hired him on - he must be good, he must be viewed as adding good value if Cox brought him back and in a capacity where URI has not had someone in the past.
Carroll’s addition will help Cox spend more time where he can best add value in the recruiting process.

I’m bullish on bringing on John Carroll and son. But mostly bullish because David Cox made the decisions. It’s his organization.
UCH21377
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by UCH21377 »

Young guys bring energy passion and a positive outlook. I like the hires
Rhodyram
Art Stephenson

Unread post by Rhodyram »

The team played better when Carroll left. I never got the sense of any connection between him and any of the players. The way the whole thing went down reeks of people walking on eggshells because of whatever issues that may have arisen with the illness/end of contract term/ state bullshit/etc....
That being said, I don’t believe the Carroll’s will have any impact on how the team does this year. I will be very curious as to how we do with recruiting in the future.
section(105)
Ernie Calverley

......I’ve moved on, the staff is set, just win the next one.....no hot steaming pile of shit laid by this team early on......reference Stony Brook at home.....
Ram logo via Grist 1938
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

Unread post by NYGFan_Section208 »

Win enough to overcome the recruiting shortfalls. If they go 24-6 and win the A10 tournament, will it matter who the assistants are?
Iggy1979
Sly Williams

Rhody83 wrote: 4 years ago Props to Iggy for being the first to break this. Solid sources as always
To be expected. Iggy has a long history of dependability in obtaining key information - long before twitter, Instagram, text messaging, internet.........
So I'm old!
Iggy1979
Sly Williams

Rhody83 wrote: 4 years ago
Rhody83 wrote: 4 years ago On a related subject, the DBO position is open until end of the day tomorrow.
A wild card for the spot could be Ryan McCloskey.
https://jobs.uri.edu/postings/6188
Why hasn’t Ryan McCloskey been announced as DBO? Are they going to fill the Video Coordinator position or is Ryan going to handle two full time jobs? The Video Coordinator job hasn’t been posted.

The article on July 15th announcing Carroll’s resignation and the assistant coach hiring process also stated “this will ensure that the URI Basketball staff will be complete by mid August”. The DBO position was open at that point so I assumed this meant that position would also be filled also.
Excellent question so I asked around and it looks like the answer is yes. He will be assisted by some managers.
So this is probably where the John Carroll money is coming from.
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

Last edited by ramster 4 years ago, edited 1 time in total.