The David Cox Era

Talk about the men's team, upcoming opponents and news from around college hoop.
CT Rhody
Cuttino Mobley

Re: The David Cox Era

Unread post by CT Rhody »

Cameron_Dollar wrote:The spending per school was posted. My contention I believe was valid. Since this information was made available, I simply asked where would the money come from to satisfy Hurley's demands. "Donors" is not the answer. Tom Ryan was all in on Pitino as he was 20 years ago on Harrick. I don't believe he was truly enamored with Hurley. At least not enough to ante up. You can attack the messenger but no one has given me an informed response as to how Thorr was going to pull it off.
Are you asking fans to relay the list of significant donors and amounts they were offering to keep Dan here? In what world do you ever think Thorr would leak that information?
CTRamfan
Jimmy Baron

Unread post by CTRamfan »

Probably "The Foundation"...................It is operated on donated funds.
Shaolin Swat
ARD

Unread post by Shaolin Swat »

On top of that, the budget that RF1 posted was for the 2016-2017 season, before NCAA money started rolling in, before ticket sales were the highest level they'd been in years and before donors saw the team having real NCAA success (making them more likely to open their wallets). As revenue sources change, budgets can be positively or negatively impacted. Based on the results of the last two seasons, I'd venture to guess that the basketball budget has not stayed stagnant.
RF1
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by RF1 »

Shaolin Swat wrote:On top of that, the budget that RF1 posted was for the 2016-2017 season, before NCAA money started rolling in, before ticket sales were the highest level they'd been in years and before donors saw the team having real NCAA success (making them more likely to open their wallets). As revenue sources change, budgets can be positively or negatively impacted. Based on the results of the last two seasons, I'd venture to guess that the basketball budget has not stayed stagnant.

By outward appearances the basketball budget does appear to have been somewhat stagnant from 2016-17 to 2017-18. If you recall last year, Hurley's extension upped his salary a bit but offered no significant upgrades to the budget as per Koch's May-2017 words, URI was tapped out:

Notably, there are no specific program enhancements contained in the new pact. An increased number of charter flights, a broader salary pool for basketball staff and renovations to basketball offices and the locker room had been staples of previous Hurley extensions, but URI appears to have reached its limit regarding its basketball budget.

While URI's revenue stream greatly increased this past season (2017 NCAA units payout and significant increase in ticket revenue), it would appear that its spending on the program did not follow suit.
rhodylaw
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by rhodylaw »

I am not shocked that we don’t see a huge increase in budget - I think Hurley pushed for upgrades we couldn’t sustain long term. The Tourney credits move to balance the budget. When we make the tourney again next year I would expect to see some more expansion of the budget. We are now in the upper half of the A10 in spending, to compete with VCU spending we need to be in the Tourney with regularity over the next several years.
Rhody83
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhody83 »

It is my understanding that the NCAA tourney payouts are paid almost a year after participating. I believe the first payout Rhody received for their 2017 appearance was made in Feb 2018. The payments are made over 6 years. In his recent interview, Thorr said the NCAA tournament money goes into the general athletic department fund and is shared by all sports. He said MBB gets the most funding of any sport.
“We will be good when we are good.”
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

Unread post by TruePoint »

I think everyone fretting over or complaining about the budget is missing an important point, which is that they've committed to a capital project that almost everyone here assumed was a pipe dream that we could not afford just a year ago. They've publicly stated the goal of having it operational in two years or less. There is no question that such a facility can not be built absent significant private contributions, but their "partners" in this effort may want to see that the athletic department is doing everything it can in exchange for agreeing to fund the rest, or perhaps the donors that are capable of making a contribution on the scale that would make a difference with this kind of project have put a cap on what they are willing to do on the project, and URI has to stretch to cover the difference to do that project the way they want to.

This is like in your life when a friend or a family member knows you got a promotion and can't understand why you have not gone and bought a Masserati yet; if you're saving to buy a bigger house for your family or pay for college for your kid, it might look to someone on the outside that you are not putting your windfall to use. Just because you are not seeing the NCAA tournament money or Hurley buyout money burning a hole thru the athletic department's pocket doesn't mean Thorr & Co. are embezzling the money and stashing it in the Cayman Islands. The money is going to get spent.
"If you build it, they will come." --Us, circa 2011
Rhody83
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhody83 »

FYI, UCONN ($1.0 million) and Hurley (paying the other $250,000) have 90 days from March 21st to pay URI. I don’t see them paying it early.
brady1
Art Stephenson

Unread post by brady1 »

Cameron_Dollar wrote:The spending per school was posted. My contention I believe was valid. Since this information was made available, I simply asked where would the money come from to satisfy Hurley's demands. "Donors" is not the answer. Tom Ryan was all in on Pitino as he was 20 years ago on Harrick. I don't believe he was truly enamored with Hurley. At least not enough to ante up. You can attack the messenger but no one has given me an informed response as to how Thorr was going to pull it off.
CD, give it a rest here they’re were two valid choices Coach Cox and the X route or take a shot a slick Rick.

So far I’m very impressed with Coach Cox since the hire.

Excited about F’n things up next year. Best Backcourt in the league and a more than quality big man (or maybe two)means you Dance in the A-10.

GO RHODY!
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by Billyboy78 »

Supposedly, Sutton will be out recruiting with the live period starting today. What's the holdup on an announcement?
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by rambone 78 »

Does the hiring post have a specific end, or is it open ended?

For the HC position, it was 14 days....I thought it was 10 days for assistant positions. If 10 days, that would put an announcement this Monday.

If it's until filled, then there shouldn't be a holdup.
RamIt!
Jeff Kent

Unread post by RamIt! »

rambone 78 wrote:Does the hiring post have a specific end, or is it open ended?

For the HC position, it was 14 days....I thought it was 10 days for assistant positions. If 10 days, that would put an announcement this Monday.

Official job posting is listed as open until filled, but cites priority given to applications received by 4/27... I would expect an announcement on or before the 27th.
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

RamIt! wrote:
rambone 78 wrote:Does the hiring post have a specific end, or is it open ended?

Official job posting is listed as open until filled, but cites priority given to applications received by 4/27... I would expect an announcement on or before the 27th.
So, can he still go out and recruit if he's not officially hired yet?
Rhody83
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhody83 »

The 27th doesn’t make sense. The job was posted on Tues April 10th. If there is a 14 day requirement he could be hired 23rd/24th.
If there is a 10 day requirement he could be hired today or tomorrow.

Thorr should have posted an Ast position as soon as Moore resigned to get the clock ticking on this.

Both Nike and Under Armor events are in Dallas this weekend and Addias has 4 regional locations including Washington DC.
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Ideally we have 3 coaches out recruiting this weekend.
Rhody83
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhody83 »

Billyboy78 wrote:Ideally we have 3 coaches out recruiting this weekend.
Right we are missing two Assistants. I don’t know if Sutton can recruit but he probably can evaluate players if he isn’t officially hired. Recently our TJ has been recruiting as well.
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

Billyboy78 wrote:Ideally we have 3 coaches out recruiting this weekend.

So...sort of?

If Sutton is unofficially on the staff he can be out scouting and letting his presence be known, but he would definitely be limited in his ability to officially represent the school and I'm also not sure how the costs associated with getting him to and from the tournaments, hotels, meals, etc., would be covered. Kind of a gray area.
steviep123
Sly Williams

Unread post by steviep123 »

There's been more stories from the Projo from McNamara lately. I know Koch has the Red Sox beat now, but I'm hoping Koch will still be URI beat writer.
Bleed Keaney Blue!

”I'm not coming there to be in the top 3 of the Atlantic 10. I'm coming to win the damn thing!”
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Can TJ offer someone?
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

IDK, but an offer is kind of a non-official thing, anyways. Most "offers" are not immediately actionable, anyways - i.e., the recruit couldn't say "I accept!" and bind the school to the scholarship offer. So if the DBO is there representing the school I assume he can communicate interest same as an assistant coach. The question is how will recruits respond to it?
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

The reason I ask is I assume that TJ still has some Michigan connections.
RamIt!
Jeff Kent

Unread post by RamIt! »

Now I'm confused... wouldn't that exclude TJ from recruiting, or is position considered a coaching position? I thought his would have been more operations/clerical...

you can find the full by-laws here: https://web3.ncaa.org/lsdbi/search/bylawView?id=8754
13.1.2.3 General Restrictions -- Staff Members and Governing Board. The following are additional restrictions that apply to an institution's staff members and governing board. [D] (Revised: 4/27/00, Adopted: 1/16/10, 4/13/10, 4/29/10, 7/31/13)
(a) Noncoaching Staff Members with Sport-Specific Responsibilities. A noncoaching staff member with sport-specific responsibilities (except a staff member who only performs clerical duties) shall not attend an on- or off-campus athletics event in the staff member's sport that involves prospective student-athletes (e.g., high school contest, noninstitutional sports camp) unless the staff member is an immediate family member or legal guardian of a participant in the activity. A staff member who is an immediate family member or legal guardian of a participant may attend such an event, subject to the following conditions:
(1) Attendance shall not be for evaluation purposes (the staff member shall not provide information related to the performance of a prospective student-athlete back to the institution's coaching staff); and
(2) The staff member shall not have direct contact with a prospective student-athlete or a prospective student-athlete's parent (or legal guardian) or coach (other than the immediate family member, if applicable) participating in the activity.
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

I thought we learned during Carr's hiatus that on an emergency basis a staff member could fill in. I'd be lying if I said I was well-versed in the rules, though. I would guess URI's compliance people are all over it and wouldn't send TJ out (never mind broadcast it) if there was anything untoward about it.
Iggy1979
Sly Williams

Unread post by Iggy1979 »

Three coaches can be on the road recruiting at any one time. In the case where a school doesn't have three coaches, someone else can be designated to go on the road and recruit. That's what they've been doing with TJ.
The recruiting going on this weekend is 2019 and beyond so I'm sure they're just asking TJ to evaluate players. Offers would come later.
"Every season, college basketball has one or two teams that rise from dormancy to relevancy, squads that make long-awaited charges at the NCAA Tournament and become really fun storylines along the way."
Ramulous
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Ramulous »

I think Sutton may have been in Europe assisting the US under 17 team in some tournament that just ended with a USA gold medal....
F*ck Alacki, DarthFriar, DirtyBeanFriar94, xCoachK, Boxworth, Friar Faithful, bicycleicycle, Matt_Keough, Patrick Norton, the Rosato brothers, and especially Benjamin Lord !
Rhody83
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhody83 »

Ramulous wrote:I think Sutton may have been in Europe assisting the US under 17 team in some tournament that just ended with a USA gold medal....
There are 6 coaches on their roster and Sutton isn’t one of them. Penny Hardaway is on there and he didn’t go for obvious reasons.

His twitter list him as Assistant with USA Basketball U16/U17 Teams.

He is also Nike Basketball and Skill Development Coach. That could help at the Nike events.
hrstrat57
Sly Williams

Unread post by hrstrat57 »

Out workin hard! Dahmir Bishop just offered by Rhody.

Didn’t see a placeholder.....
We're gonna run the picket fence at "em.....now boys don't get caught watchin' the paint dry!
hrstrat57
Sly Williams

Unread post by hrstrat57 »

We're gonna run the picket fence at "em.....now boys don't get caught watchin' the paint dry!
CT Rhody
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by CT Rhody »

Iggy1979 wrote:Three coaches can be on the road recruiting at any one time. In the case where a school doesn't have three coaches, someone else can be designated to go on the road and recruit. That's what they've been doing with TJ.
The recruiting going on this weekend is 2019 and beyond so I'm sure they're just asking TJ to evaluate players. Offers would come later.
Iggy - These rules changed a year or two ago, now all four coaches can be on the road at once. Hence the “three deep” tweets have now changed to “full staff” or “four deep” tweets are now prevalent.
Ramulous
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Ramulous »

I saw a current tweet by the head coach of the USA team but evidently it was a throwback type tweet....sorry about the bad info...
F*ck Alacki, DarthFriar, DirtyBeanFriar94, xCoachK, Boxworth, Friar Faithful, bicycleicycle, Matt_Keough, Patrick Norton, the Rosato brothers, and especially Benjamin Lord !
DC_Rams
Sly Williams

Unread post by DC_Rams »

Rhody74
Sly Williams

Unread post by Rhody74 »

DC_Rams wrote:http://www.providencejournal.com/sports ... -david-cox

Reynold’s Cox article.
Nothing we didn’t already know. Bunky once again mails it in.
Slava Ukraini!
RF1
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by RF1 »

DC_Rams wrote:http://www.providencejournal.com/sports ... -david-cox

Reynold’s Cox article.

Another link if above does not work for some:

New beginnings for Rhode Island’s Cox

http://digital.olivesoftware.com/Olive/ ... 0111114920
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Who is Josh Merkel?
reckless jake
ARD

Unread post by reckless jake »

Billyboy78 wrote:Who is Josh Merkel?
Head baaketball coach at Randolph Macon
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

reckless jake wrote:
Billyboy78 wrote:Who is Josh Merkel?
Head baaketball coach at Randolph Macon
Looking to move up a little bit?
DC_Rams
Sly Williams

Unread post by DC_Rams »

Why are we talking about Josh Merkel? Is he the rumored 3rd assistant?
Iggy1979
Sly Williams

Another DMV guy. Follows Cox on Twitter
"Every season, college basketball has one or two teams that rise from dormancy to relevancy, squads that make long-awaited charges at the NCAA Tournament and become really fun storylines along the way."
DC_Rams
Sly Williams

Unread post by DC_Rams »

Iggy, so?

Just looking for the punchline here.
Iggy1979
Sly Williams

Maybe Billyboy can explain why he dropped the name
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Not sure. Could be a candidate. I think he applied.
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Now that Jarvis is graduating, Fatts gets his #1 back. He looks even faster with a 1 on his jersey instead of a 2.
Bos8
Tom Garrick

Unread post by Bos8 »

Josh Merkel is a good guy. Hard worker, did a good job at Salisbury and has done well at RMC. Previous RMC head coaches include Mike Rhoades. RMC is a great division 3 job.
DC_Rams
Sly Williams

Unread post by DC_Rams »

Bos8 wrote:Josh Merkel is a good guy. Hard worker, did a good job at Salisbury and has done well at RMC. Previous RMC head coaches include Mike Rhoades. RMC is a great division 3 job.
You haven’t heard anything about him being the third assistant though, have you?
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by rambone 78 »

Whoever they hire is very likely to be the 2nd assistant rank wise....Boswell doesn't game plan or teach, he mostly is a recruiter.

I think he also is responsible for making sure the players are walking the straight and narrow outside the gym.....
Last edited by rambone 78 6 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
Bos8
Tom Garrick

Unread post by Bos8 »

DC_Rams wrote:
Bos8 wrote:Josh Merkel is a good guy. Hard worker, did a good job at Salisbury and has done well at RMC. Previous RMC head coaches include Mike Rhoades. RMC is a great division 3 job.
You haven’t heard anything about him being the third assistant though, have you?
Nope, but I'll admit I haven't looked into it. Just wanted to chime in with some background information on the guy. I have no idea what type of relationship (if any) that Coach Cox has with Coach Merkel. Has the Coach Sutton hire been confirmed?
DC_Rams
Sly Williams

Unread post by DC_Rams »

Bos8 wrote:
DC_Rams wrote:
Nope, but I'll admit I haven't looked into it. Just wanted to chime in with some background information on the guy. I have no idea what type of relationship (if any) that Coach Cox has with Coach Merkel. Has the Coach Sutton hire been confirmed?
No, but it’s Sutton.
Rhody83
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhody83 »

rambone 78 wrote:Whoever they hire is very likely to be the 2nd assistant rank wise....Boswell doesn't game plan or teach, he mostly is a recruiter.

I think he also is responsible for making sure the players are walking the straight and narrow outside the gym.....
I believe the role of monitoring the players outside the gym is now TJs responsibility.
bwerner10
Steve Chubin

Unread post by bwerner10 »

does a thread exist on Sutton? First name, link to his bio?
sevegny7
Art Stephenson

Unread post by sevegny7 »

http://performanceptri.com/blog

Cool interview of Daniel Marshall about his work at uri and his background and such. Interesting interview I enjoyed it.