'14 WI PG - Jarvis Garrett (URI Signed LOI)

Talk about future recruits and scouting efforts in this forum.
Forum rules
If you start a recruit thread and don't set up a profile, make a blank post first so a profile can be added later.

Place whatever you were going to post in the second post.
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Re: '14 WI PG - Jarvis Garrett (URI Verbal Commit)

Unread post by Billyboy78 »

I just love looking at this page now...

http://www.verbalcommits.com/players/jarvis-garrett
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

Unread post by TruePoint »

ace wrote:"We play freshmen" is a solid recruiting pitch.

Working on their hyperbole here, I see...

Ever? I mean, I'm pretty happy, but that's funny.
Yeah, what does that even mean? I'd try to find out myself, but not giving in to their clickbait.
"If you build it, they will come." --Us, circa 2011
BCRhody03
Steve Chubin

Unread post by BCRhody03 »

ElmCityRhody wrote:YESSSSS!!!!!! Huge!!.. HUG A RAMETTE TODAY AND THANK THEM !
I think they all deserve a hug after this news! Sign me up for that.
Matunuck
Lamar Odom

Unread post by Matunuck »

Go local prov? Is this the biggest get yet? Nice signing but Lamar was the biggest in my opinion. Biggest since Hurley took over? I think EC is bigger. Don't get me wrong, I love this signing. Let's go Gusty's, sign up and this will be fun!
twisted3829
Carlton Owens

Unread post by twisted3829 »

TruePoint wrote:

Yeah, what does that even mean? I'd try to find out myself, but not giving in to their clickbait.
I't's actually just about the verbal and no mention of biggest signing
NOT IN OUR HOUSE
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by rambone 78 »

Gustys has said he'll wait until the middle of the signing period, to make his decision. Let's hope that changes now with Garrett coming on board.
neil
Art Stephenson

Unread post by neil »

Yes!!! Great news!
section(105)
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by section(105) »

So with this, we have turned the ship around more and given us much brighter outlook....
Ram logo via Grist 1938
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

EC was the biggest signing since Lamar, then I'd have to go back to Sly. Those are the biggest three in my lifetime.
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

twisted3829 wrote:
TruePoint wrote:

I't's actually just about the verbal and no mention of biggest signing

Garrett figures to compete for playing time immediately next season, as he and Biggie Minnis are currently the only point guards on the roster for 2014-15.
HUH? Garrett and Minnis are the only point guards on the roster for next year?
Did this guy not read the recent article about EC Mathews and him saying he came to URI to be a Point Guard? and that Dan was going to work with him in the future to further develop as a PG? Strange statement. Wonder what EC and also TJ think about this? Just odd timing to me.
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

Hope EC is OK with Jarvis coming on board. EC wanted to be the PG for this team at some point.

Now maybe the two of them can compliment each other. I imagine Dan and EC have talked about it during Garrett's recruitment, and it's all good.

Should allow both of them to maximize their potential.

Will be no issue with TJ. He will play whenever and wherever needed. He knows his role.
Last edited by rambone 78 10 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

Geez you guys can find something to worry about in any situation, huh? I'm sure EC is thrilled to get some more talent on board.

Just stop. There is no way to spin this into a bad thing or something to worry about. Jarvis is a great addition to the program.
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

Only speculating, TP. We're not being negative. I'm sure it will work out for the best. However, I'm going to talk to Dan, and see what he's thinking.

As for Minnis, however, the writing's on the wall. He's already transferred once, would he do it again?

He has to know his minutes are going to be few and far between now.
rhodylaw
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by rhodylaw »

Delonte West went on to play PG in the pros and was not even close to one in college. Two Scoring PGs in the backcourt will work.
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

rhodylaw wrote:Delonte West went on to play PG in the pros and was not even close to one in college. Two Scoring PGs in the backcourt will work.
Jarvis is a pass first PG, although he can score too, if needed.
ATPTourFan
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ATPTourFan »

Thx TP. Rambone, are you seriously thinking that Dan isn't aware of this? We hear only a tiny bit of what happens to be said behind doors to the players regarding Dan's master plan for them. Are you expecting Dan to say, "Oh Shit! I forgot ALL ABOUT EC MATTHEWS!!"

Anyway...

On one of the few days where I wasn't able to check in to KeaneyBlue while at work, I get home to see this great news!

Now I'm going to go back and watch all the highlight reel footage of Mr. Garrett.

Welcome to Rhode Island Basketball, Jarvis!
Support Coach Miller & Rhody Basketball! Give to the Athletic Director's Fund
ramster
Frank Keaney

Re: '14 WI PG - Jarvis Garrett (Offer)

Unread post by ramster »

Gonebarongone wrote:Looks like he picked Rhody. Huge get. Nice job by the staff.
What wonderful news for URI today. Incredibly the very first poster to report this news on our Keaneyblue message board was GoneBaronGone (GBG). Just cracks me up :D :D

Announcement in PROJO:

By Kevin McNamara
kmcnamar@providencejournal.com
The URI basketball program is continuing its rebuilding process and received word today that one of the top unsigned point guards in the country wants to play for Dan Hurley in Kingston.
Jarvis Garrett, a 5-10 guard at Notre Dame Prep in Fitchburg, Mass., verbally committed to URI, according to his coach Ryan Hurd. Garrett was also hearing from Marquette, Memphis and Missouri, among other schools.
“Preston Murphy did an unbelievable job,” Hurd said of the URI assistant coach who recruited Garrett. “He formed a relationship with Jarvis and helped him understand there was a role for him at Rhode Island.”
Hurley and his staff could sign as many as four players in the spring to add to current impressive freshmen E.C. Matthews and Hassan Martin in a young core of talent. The Rams are recruiting Oak Hill Academy forward Rokas Gustys, a 6-9 rebounder, as well as other wing scorers.
ace
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by ace »

Goodness gracious, people. If you don't see that EC has completely bought into this staff and their decisions, then there's nothing else to be said. Ask EC if he's ready to play point; he'll tell you no.

And have you learned nothing? Don't worry about depth. It has a way of disappearing on you.

Or, shorter TP version, just stop.
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

Ramster, of course Dan knows what's going on!!!

Nothing to worry about, nothing at all. EC wants to win. He's not going to put personal gain over the team's.

Like was said, 2 scoring PG's will work just fine. Going to be a great backcourt, the best seen around here in a long time.

So YOU GUYS relax. It's all good. Can. Not. Wait. For next year already!
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

ace wrote:Goodness gracious, people. If you don't see that EC has completely bought into this staff and their decisions, then there's nothing else to be said. Ask EC if he's ready to play point; he'll tell you no.
And have you learned nothing? Don't worry about depth. It has a way of disappearing on you.
Or, shorter TP version, just stop.
Ace,
don't get me wrong, I am not concerned at all about team chemistry, not concerned at all that Garrett will fit right in with this team, not concerned at all that Dan Hurley will manage this team wonderfully moving forward. Things are falling into place beautifully with Martin and Mathews virtual locks to make the all Freshman Team - quite an accomplishment in a very competitive Atlantic 10 Conference.
What was surprising to me was that the writer at GoLocalProv would make the statement that URI has only Garrett and Minnis as Point Guards on the Roster. Wonder who has been playing PG all this time that Minnis has been out. Just struck me as an odd statement.
Onward and upward -
Would love to have Hare return, if not would love to have Gustys verbal, or have them both for next year but even if neither of these guys are on next years team Dan Hurley is working some magic at URI and he has surrounded himself with a very competant staff.
I wouldn't be surprised if we win at least 2 of our next 3 games and put a scare or two into some teams in the A10 Tournament :D :D
ace
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by ace »

ramster wrote:What was surprising to me was that the writer at GoLocalProv would make the statement that URI has only Garrett and Minnis as Point Guards on the Roster. Wonder who has been playing PG all this time that Minnis has been out. Just struck me as an odd statement.
Buchanan is a pg by attrition. Matthews isn't there yet. It doesn't seem all that strange to me.
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

rambone 78 wrote:Ramster, of course Dan knows what's going on!!!

Nothing to worry about, nothing at all. EC wants to win. He's not going to put personal gain over the team's.

Like was said, 2 scoring PG's will work just fine. Going to be a great backcourt, the best seen around here in a long time.

rambone, you miss my point, has nothing to do with EC it has everything to do with the writer at GoProv saying URI has only Minnis as a Point Guard - that's all - to me it has feel of insult to guys like TJ and EC who have been playing the PG position this season - Minnis has been gone, Powell gone......even Munford has played some Point Guard. Don't worry about EC, Dan or anyone else - it was only about the writer
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

This is a great day. Let's enjoy!
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

ace wrote:
ramster wrote:What was surprising to me was that the writer at GoLocalProv would make the statement that URI has only Garrett and Minnis as Point Guards on the Roster. Wonder who has been playing PG all this time that Minnis has been out. Just struck me as an odd statement.
Buchanan is a pg by attrition. Matthews isn't there yet. It doesn't seem all that strange to me.
and Minnis is there? sorry I'll take EC right now over Minnis, and TJ as well
neil
Art Stephenson

Unread post by neil »

Could it be, yes it could, somethings coming, something good...
Welcome Jarvis! and welcome to Kingston!

Jarvis said he wanted to be coached by two guards. I guess those two were good enough without BH.

Give him the ball!
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

ramster wrote:
rambone 78 wrote:Ramster, of course Dan knows what's going on!!!

rambone, you miss my point, has nothing to do with EC it has everything to do with the writer at GoProv saying URI has only Minnis as a Point Guard - that's all - to me it has feel of insult to guys like TJ and EC who have been playing the PG position this season - Minnis has been gone, Powell gone......even Munford has played some Point Guard. Don't worry about EC, Dan or anyone else - it was only about the writer
Biggie is the only PG on the roster. I'm not sure what you find objectionable about this objectively true and factually accurate statement.
ace
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by ace »

ramster wrote:
ace wrote:
and Minnis is there? sorry I'll take EC right now over Minnis, and TJ as well
I don't know, but I think I'll trust these two with the decisions.

Matthews, who is making a strong run at becoming the first Rhody player to win the conference rookie-of-the-year award since Odom did it 15 year ago, is playing on a wing. It is entirely possible, even likely, that by the end of his career he will be spending much of his time directing the offense from the point.

“At the professional level and moving forward in his career here, he’ll be able to handle the ball for us,” Hurley said. “But he’s such an efficient scorer that right now you don’t want to lose that."

Matthews, who is averaging 13.4 points on the season and 15.7 since the start of A-10 action, has enough on his plate as it is. He is not ready to play the one as a freshman. Matthews agrees.

“There’s more to it than people think. It’s not just bringing the ball up; you’ve got to direct, you’ve got to know other people’s positions, what the defense is doing, just become another coach on the floor,” Matthews said. “I’m learning that as I go, but first I’ve got to learn the game. Coach Hurley’s done a good job just easing me into the process.”
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

I understand totally Ramster.

EC and TJ aren't true PG's. Hell, this entire team has been playing out of position for most of this season.

Those two are, however, team players. And that's great to have.

Dan's getting his guys piece by piece.

TP, calm down. Nothing objectionable.

As for PG's, the only true PG we had this year was MP. And he's gone.
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Powell wasn't a true PG either.
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

Well, now we have one!

Looks like a good one, eh?
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Everyone who knows him says he's a leader. It is tough for a frosh to come in and run a team right away. It will take time. He has to learn the system, first of all. That doesn't happen overnight. But being a leader will help. That's what you want out of your PG. I would guess he's making big contributions by January, just in time for league play. We'll have to live with mistakes, they will happen. But, hopefully the learning curve is a quick one.
ramfan85
Carlton Owens

Unread post by ramfan85 »

"Elvis has re-entered the building."
Welcome back, Rod.

Love the verbal. Didn't Gustys say he'd consider playing with Jarvis?
Tom98
Tom Garrick

Unread post by Tom98 »

What a day!! What everybody needs to realize is not only did we land a true stud PG who has vision and can create for his teammates but this kid can flat out shoot the ball. I went to see him play at the tounament at RIC and was shocked on how well he shoots the 3. He must of hit about 6 three pointers when I saw him play. The other thing I noticed immediately is that he plays with confidence. He doesn't hesistate....natural PG skills. I am pumped!!!!
bigappleram
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by bigappleram »

rambone 78 wrote:Hope EC is OK with Jarvis coming on board. EC wanted to be the PG for this team at some point.

Now maybe the two of them can compliment each other. I imagine Dan and EC have talked about it during Garrett's recruitment, and it's all good.

Should allow both of them to maximize their potential.

Will be no issue with TJ. He will play whenever and wherever needed. He knows his role.
Enough with this train of thought...EC knows his chance in the NBA will be at PG, he wants to be a pro PG. It does not mean he has to be a college PG to develop NBA point guard skills. Victor Oladipo played the 3 at Indiana and is the PG for the magic....no need to read into anything, EC wants to score the ball and win games, a good PG will help that. And now speculating that we bring in a late signing PG and Biggie is gonna run for the hills. Most teams have/want 2 solid PGs. Its not an absurd idea.
bigappleram
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by bigappleram »

Back to Garrett...just from the youtube videos really like this kid. Cant appreciate his passing ability or intangibles much from what's out there...but the form on his jump shot looked great and he has a nasty handle. To really set lofty expectations some of his game reminded me of another PG we had in the late 90s, undersized, not overly athletic or quick, but a great shooter with playmaking abilities.
ATPTourFan
Frank Keaney

Garrett's game at Rhode Island College just a little while back at National Prep School Invitational, a game Coaches Dan and Preston attended, is available for free to watch on demand via Cox. Jarvis had a nice game, so it's definitely worth watching.

http://bcove.me/bzityoqg
ace
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by ace »

ATPTourFan
Frank Keaney

Awesome. Now I can sleep well tonight. Great news.
NJ03
Lamar Odom

Unread post by NJ03 »

Yes!!! Welcome, Jarvis!! Good things are coming our way folks. Lord knows we've been patient enough. Now let's lock up Gustys!
rhodylaw
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by rhodylaw »

So the golocalprov thing about this being the best ever - I was thinking about that last night. While clearly not the best ever recruit and probably not better than EC, I think in terms of importance to the program it is huge. DH brought in EC and Hassan which was awesome but he needed to follow up strong this year, when Terrell backed out that took a blow to the perception of a rising club particularly with the defections and no back up plan. I think Garrett committing gives us some much needed recruiting momentum and builds on the first class so in that sense it may have been more important than the first years class.

Good job PMurph!!!
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

bigappleram wrote:Back to Garrett...just from the youtube videos really like this kid. Cant appreciate his passing ability or intangibles much from what's out there...but the form on his jump shot looked great and he has a nasty handle. To really set lofty expectations some of his game reminded me of another PG we had in the late 90s, undersized, not overly athletic or quick, but a great shooter with playmaking abilities.
One thing I'll add to this after seeing him in person. I talked about this earlier, but I'll say it again. His two hand chest pass has some zing on it, more than the normal chest pass. He throws it with authority and confidence, no lazy passes here. Our wing players will have to get used to the ball getting on them very quickly. I'm a fan of the finer points of the game, and the old two hand chest pass is one of them. When the ball is swinging around the perimeter, the little extra zing on Jarvis' pass had wing players wide open for shots all day when I saw him. Just another very good quality for a PG.
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

ace wrote:
Love this!
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

rhodylaw wrote:So the golocalprov thing about this being the best ever - I was thinking about that last night. While clearly not the best ever recruit and probably not better than EC, I think in terms of importance to the program it is huge. DH brought in EC and Hassan which was awesome but he needed to follow up strong this year, when Terrell backed out that took a blow to the perception of a rising club particularly with the defections and no back up plan. I think Garrett committing gives us some much needed recruiting momentum and builds on the first class so in that sense it may have been more important than the first years class.

Good job PMurph!!!
I see this point, just strikes me as a weird thing to say. Not that Garrett isn't a huge get for Rhody, I just don't know that it needed to be described in exactly that way. Maybe that is picky, but they are in the words business.
ace
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by ace »

It's even weirder because no other signings, let alone comparisons to Garrett, are mentioned in the brief article. It's just a tease to get you to click or a throwaway line. In all, I'm very pleased to get this guy and maybe even happier that the talk of Danny is nothing without Bobby can stop.
Rhodymob05
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhodymob05 »

Ok what's wrong with ec at shooting guard. Hes a perfect 2.we have 2 point guards so why force him to be one also.
GO RAMS
ace
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by ace »

Rhodymob05 wrote:Ok what's wrong with ec at shooting guard. Hes a perfect 2.we have 2 point guards so why force him to be one also.
Because he wants to be one and came here with the assurance that he would be developed into one, eventually and when the time is right. It's not a problem- and he'll do anything the coaches ask- but he wants to learn and improve those skills. Teams play with two pgs on the floor- even better when one of them is 6'5" or so. Don't worry about specific roles, just collect good players.
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

ace wrote:It's even weirder because no other signings, let alone comparisons to Garrett, are mentioned in the brief article. It's just a tease to get you to click or a throwaway line. In all, I'm very pleased to get this guy and maybe even happier that the talk of Danny is nothing without Bobby can stop.
I'm one who thinks that losing Bobby hurt. But I've never thought that Dan is nothing without him. I'm a fan of both of the Hurley brothers. I just thought that having Bobby, pretty much a college basketball legend, would help in getting kids here. A lot of kids don't know who Bobby Hurley is. But their parents and coaches know who he is. That being said, I hope Dan is here for 20 years.
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

There is no bigger Bobby Hurley fan than me. That Duke team that beat UNLV was the first team in sports that I loved (I was 8). I also think he will be a very good coach and deserved his own program. I just think that the impact of losing him from the staff was sometimes overrated here, like Bobby was the only selling point for us. I believe in Dan, Preston has proven himself repeatedly, I have high hopes for Luke and everyone seems to love Jim Carr. So I think our staff is fine.
Ram1019
ARD

Unread post by Ram1019 »

This is a very big win for us. A very much needed piece of the puzzle. Kudos to Preston.
ram12
Abdul Fox

Unread post by ram12 »

Great get for us. Very excited to see Garrett play.

So thankful we have Preston on our side. What a hell of a worker and recruiter he is. Enjoy it while it lasts. Man deserves his own program some day!