A10 Outlook for 2022-23

Talk about the men's team, upcoming opponents and news from around college hoop.
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

Re: A10 Outlook for 2022-23

Unread post by Jersey77 »

A Div.2 All-American.
Loyola also added some other transfers that should have an immediate impact: Golden, Wilson, and Edwards.
That along with a couple of good returning guards in Norris and Kennedy.
Plus, a promising freshman class.

Would be very surprised if they don't finish in the top half of the A10.

Jdrums#3
Sly Williams

Unread post by Jdrums#3 »

Good ole’ C U P….
Jdrums#3
Sly Williams

Can’t help the sophomoric humor, sometimes. A lingering effect of four years of college and watching Animal House several times.
My sincere apologies.
Blue Man
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Blue Man »

Rhody72 wrote: 1 year ago Among the top 7 predicted, URI was the most disappointing finishing 4 slots lower. This is what happens when you can't recruit because the AD plans on firing the coach.
I've been traveling a lot for work so I haven't caught up on the board, but for this and many other comments in the past few weeks - bro, your act is tired, you f*cking suck, add no value here, and I wish you the worst.
If you say you’re a Rhody fan, I know you are my brother. For you have suffered as I have suffered.

Give to the Athletic Director's Fund

Give to Rhody's NIL
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

A look at Lindy's 22-23 basketball preview A10 predictions:
1. Dayton
2. SLU
3. VCU
4. Richmond
5. Davidson
6. GM
7. Loyola/Chicago
8. UMass
9. Fordham
10. Bonnies
11. URI
12. GW
13. La Salle
14. St. Joe's
15, Duquesne

Also, on the Rhody wrap up, one of the first sentences.
"Ishmael Leggitt leads the charge."

Plus
"Jalen Carey should step up into a bigger role, contributing more often as a scorer while also providing to be an asset on defense.
His ability to step up will be huge for a team looking to see its offense take significant steps forward."

The say Bray will be one of the best transfers in the A10 and possibly be an all-conference player.

Also said previously ranked 4 * transfers Weston, Alex, and Harris (prior to latest news) can all be immediate impact players.
Last edited by Jersey77 1 year ago, edited 1 time in total.
Rhodymob05
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhodymob05 »

I'll bet we finish higher than 11.
GO RAMS
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

Jersey77 wrote: 1 year ago A look at Lindy's 22-23 basketball preview A10 predictions:
1. Dayton
2. SLU
3. VCU
4. Richmond
5. Davidson
6. GM
7. Loyola/Chicago
8. UMass
9. Fordham
10. Bonnies
11. URI
12. GW
13. La Salle
14. St. Joe's
15, Duquesne

Plus
"Jalen Carey should step up into a bigger role, contributing more often as a scorer while also providing to be an asset on defense.
His ability to step up will be huge for a team looking to see its offense take significant steps forward."

The say Bray will be one of the best transfers in the A10 and possible be an all-conference player.

Also said previously ranked 4 * transfers Weston, Alex, and Harris (prior to latest news) can all be immediate impact players.
So they predicted us #11 thinking we had Harris. Ouch.
What other adds and subtracts are they missing 77?
Did they get the recent roster adds to UMASS?
I think George Mason is ranked too low. They will be better that 6th I think.
St Joseph’s is too low I think.
We should have a rank the A10 teams contest/thread.
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

ramster wrote: 1 year ago
Jersey77 wrote: 1 year ago A look at Lindy's 22-23 basketball preview A10 predictions:
1. Dayton
2. SLU
3. VCU
4. Richmond
5. Davidson
6. GM
7. Loyola/Chicago
8. UMass
9. Fordham
10. Bonnies
11. URI
12. GW
13. La Salle
14. St. Joe's
15, Duquesne

Plus

The say Bray will be one of the best transfers in the A10 and possibly be an all-conference player.

So they predicted us #11 thinking we had Harris. Ouch.
What other adds and subtracts are they missing 77?
Did they get the recent roster adds to UMASS?
I think George Mason is ranked too low. They will be better that 6th I think.
St Joseph’s is too low I think.
We should have a rank the A10 teams contest/thread.
Ramster, I can check about UMass.
Surprised Kante still isn't officially listed on their roster.
I was just killing time reading it at Barnes and Noble before my tee time.

Yeah I agree, St. Joe's and GM too low.

Also thinking they had the Bonnies too high.
I will be surprised if they finish higher than us.

I am thinking between 9-12 for us.
Jdrums#3
Sly Williams

Rhodymob05 wrote: 1 year ago I'll bet we finish higher than 11.
According to my non- limoncello drinking self, I think we can finish as high as 7.

Keep in mind, however, if I start binging ECR’s limoncello then all bets are off and I believe we are finishing…

wherever ECR says. :D
steveystuds06
Sly Williams

Unread post by steveystuds06 »

Rhody15 wrote: 1 year ago
steveystuds06 wrote: 1 year ago
steveystuds06 wrote: 1 year ago Umass is likely gonna land Tafara Gapare. That would be a massive get.. DAMMIT
He committed.

Let's hope we land Connor
A legit 0 star kid in Dubsky will make you feel better after UMass lands a 4 star kid?

You really do get thrilled at literally any recruit huh?

To each his own, but man some of these kids are bound to be duds no matter how great the head coach is, that’s just college basketball.
I think ON3 has become the best recruiting site. I love their scouting reports and that they put a % on where they feel a recruit will land, and more often than not, they have been right.

Anyways, they just updated their rankings, and they have Connor as a 3-star player Ranked 178 overall and as a top 40 SG. As a reminder, 247 has him as a 3-star player as well... I don't think a star rating means much but maybe this will help you have more faith in him, 15..
https://www.on3.com/college/rhode-islan ... 3/commits/
ATTITUDE IS EVERYTHING
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

He committed.

A legit 0 star kid in Dubsky will make you feel better after UMass lands a 4 star kid?

To each his own, but man some of these kids are bound to be duds no matter how great the head coach is, that’s just college basketball.
I think ON3 has become the best recruiting site. I love their scouting reports and that they put a % on where they feel a recruit will land, and more often than not, they have been right.

Anyways, they just updated their rankings, and they have Connor as a 3-star player Ranked 178 overall and as a top 40 SG. As a reminder, 247 has him as a 3-star player as well... I don't think a star rating means much but maybe this will help you have more faith in him, 15..
15, I do agree with Stevey about Dubs.
I think he has huge upside and will be an impact player for us.
High basketball IQ, can attack the basket, and an excellent shooter (something we desperately need).
SGreenwell
Sly Williams

Unread post by SGreenwell »

He committed.

I keep blanking on On3 when creating the recruiting threads or updating them. I agree with you - I like their presentation, and they cover a good amount of prospects. I'll try to add them to my template.
Rhody15
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Rhody15 »

I completely see where you’re both coming from, me personally I just can’t get excited about a recruit until he produces on the court.

Look when happened to Myers, he committed, people got excited, then decommitted less than 30 days later.
Go Rhody
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

Rhody15 wrote: 1 year ago I completely see where you’re both coming from, me personally I just can’t get excited about a recruit until he produces on the court.

Look when happened to Myers, he committed, people got excited, then decommitted less than 30 days later.
I was very curious about how that all came about,
Whether it was just him having second thoughts or was prompted by Archie.
Maybe Archie suggested to him that there would be very limited playing time or he may want to consider redshirting.

Remember we did end up getting commits from both Dubs and Cam putting us 2 over the scholarship limit 23-24.
Those were also more positions of need.
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

1. Dayton
2. SLU
3. VCU
4. Richmond
5. Davidson
6. GM
7. Loyola/Chicago
8. UMass
9. Fordham
10. Bonnies
11. URI
12. GW

13. La Salle
14. St. Joe's
15, Duquesne

Plus

I put in red the 6 teams with new Head Coaches
Ranked behind Fordham #9 and UMASS #8
Hope we have now hit rock bottom and onward and upward from here
I know I can't say damage was caused by 4 years of David Cox (per PMMM) but this #11 Ranking is not a pretty sight
Ramfan22
ARD

Unread post by Ramfan22 »

1. Dayton
2. SLU
3. VCU
4. Richmond
5. Davidson
6. GM
7. Loyola/Chicago
8. UMass
9. Fordham
10. Bonnies
11. URI
12. GW
13. La Salle
14. St. Joe's
15, Duquesne

Plus

😴 😴 😴
Rhody15
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Rhody15 »

Besides the line about Leggett leading the charge, everything else seems pretty spot on. I can’t see us finishing 11th, but can’t blame outsiders from putting us there.
Go Rhody
Blue Man
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Blue Man »

Rhody15 wrote: 1 year ago Besides the line about Leggett leading the charge, everything else seems pretty spot on. I can’t see us finishing 11th, but can’t blame outsiders from putting us there.
Traditionally we do better as the hunters rather than the hunted. I agree though.
If you say you’re a Rhody fan, I know you are my brother. For you have suffered as I have suffered.

Give to the Athletic Director's Fund

Give to Rhody's NIL
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

Ramfan22 wrote: 1 year ago
1. Dayton
2. SLU
3. VCU
4. Richmond
5. Davidson
6. GM
7. Loyola/Chicago
8. UMass
9. Fordham
10. Bonnies
11. URI
12. GW
13. La Salle
14. St. Joe's
15, Duquesne

Plus

😴 😴 😴
I’ll be quite surprised if we finish 11th or worse, I will guess 7-10 range
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

reef wrote: 1 year ago
Ramfan22 wrote: 1 year ago
1. Dayton
2. SLU
3. VCU
4. Richmond
5. Davidson
6. GM
7. Loyola/Chicago
8. UMass
9. Fordham
10. Bonnies
11. URI
12. GW
13. La Salle
14. St. Joe's
15, Duquesne

Plus

😴 😴 😴
I’ll be quite surprised if we finish 11th or worse, I will guess 7-10 range
I wouldn't be totally surprised, but of course I hope we are better than that.

Based on the rankings above, you can make a case that 10 teams can finish higher than us.
Although I would switch out the Bonnies for GW.
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

Blue Man wrote: 1 year ago
Rhody15 wrote: 1 year ago Besides the line about Leggett leading the charge, everything else seems pretty spot on. I can’t see us finishing 11th, but can’t blame outsiders from putting us there.
Traditionally we do better as the hunters rather than the hunted. I agree though.
Outsiders don’t have a bias towards teams. Fans of most every team are going to think their team is going to be better than it is before the season starts. Optimism reigns.

Hope springs eternal

Optimism and hope sells tickets including season tickets and mini-plans. Hope and optimism are best friends to marketers and ticket sales.

The Annual Prediction Contest shows posters on average being on the optimistic side vs what the actual record ends up.
Last edited by ramster 1 year ago, edited 1 time in total.
Rhody72
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Rhody72 »

Rhody72 wrote: 1 year ago Among the top 7 predicted, URI was the most disappointing finishing 4 slots lower. This is what happens when you can't recruit because the AD plans on firing the coach.
I've been traveling a lot for work so I haven't caught up on the board, but for this and many other comments in the past few weeks - bro, your act is tired, you f*cking suck, add no value here, and I wish you the worst.
The Board is over-hyping URI's prospects for this season which is not unusual for fanatics that post here. Last season we failed to achieve more objective expectations which this year have even lower expectations. There are reasons for this that you fail to recognize is the result of poor administrative decisions.
NCAAs or Bust!
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

Rhody72 wrote: 1 year ago
The Board is over-hyping URI's prospects for this season which is not unusual for fanatics that post here. Last season we failed to achieve more objective expectations which this year have even lower expectations. There are reasons for this that you fail to recognize is the result of poor administrative decisions.
Not sure why you keep doubling down on blaming the administration.

At the time Thorr made the correct and popular decision of hiring Cox.
He gave him a very fair chance and every opportunity to succeed.

Also remember much of that time was dealt with a bigger issue called Covid.
Try to navigate through the whole Covid situation was a difficult task.

Unfortunately, the Cox experiment failed, that happens.
Almost every program even the top tier ones, go through some hires that don't work out.
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

Jersey77 wrote: 1 year ago

Almost every program even the top tier ones, go through some down times.
353 D1 Basketball Programs had to navigate through Covid.
How does this impact Cox job performance any more or less than the other 352 D1 Head Coaches?
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

How does this impact Cox job performance any more or less than the other 352 D1 Head Coaches?
Not blaming Covid for Cox's failure.

I discussed Covid more as an administrative and university issue.
In response to 72's criticism of Thorr.
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

I discussed Covid more as an administrative and University issue.
You have brought up Covid in relation to Cox in the past and then again here. Just trying to understand how that relates to the performance of URI Basketball. Even if Covid is an Administrative and University issue how is that different from the other 352 schools? Did Covid put URI at a greater disadvantage?
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

You have brought up Covid in relation to Cox in the past and then again here. Just trying to understand how that relates to the performance of URI Basketball. Even if Covid is an Administrative and University issue how is that different from the other 352 schools? Did Covid put URI at a greater disadvantage?
I was defending Thorr and agreed with him in giving Cox a fair chance at the time.

Covid was not a different situation here, but I think Cox was let go at the right time.
Thorr wanted to make sure Cox was given every opportunity to succeed and I agreed with that.
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

I was defending Thorr and agreed with him in giving Cox a fair chance at the time.

Covid was not a different situation here, but I think Cox was let go at the right time.
Thorr wanted to make sure Cox was given every opportunity to succeed and I agreed with that.

This is what you said in your reply regarding Cox which sounds like Covid made things more difficult for Cox.

We agree then, Covid had nothing to do with David Cox performance and the Team record over 4 years of Cox. Record would have been the same with or without Covid.
RF1
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by RF1 »

UPDATED - College Sports Madness has listed another A-10 team in its annual Top 144 countdown. It would appear to predict no more than two A-10 teams will make the NCAA tournament field with three teams likely in the NIT.

Massachusetts Minutemen
2022-2023 Overall Rank: #137
Conference Rank: #9 A-10
https://www.collegesportsmadness.com/article/20718

Rhode Island Rams
2022-2023 Overall Rank: #133Conference Rank: #8 A-10
https://www.collegesportsmadness.com/article/20723

George Mason Patriots
2022-2023 Overall Rank: #115
Conference Rank: #7 Atlantic 10
https://www.collegesportsmadness.com/article/20752

Davidson Wildcats
2022-2023 Overall Rank: #91
Conference Rank: #6 Atlantic 10
https://www.collegesportsmadness.com/article/20838

Richmond Spiders
2022-2023 Overall Rank: #79
Conference Rank: #5 Atlantic 10
https://www.collegesportsmadness.com/article/20880

Loyola (IL) Ramblers
2022-2023 Overall Rank: #55
Conference Rank: #4 Atlantic 10
https://www.collegesportsmadness.com/article/20938

VCU Rams
2022-2023 Overall Rank: #50
Conference Rank: #3 Atlantic 10
https://www.collegesportsmadness.com/article/20949
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

This is what you said in your reply regarding Cox which sounds like Covid made things more difficult for Cox.

We agree then, Covid had nothing to do with David Cox performance and the Team record over 4 years of Cox. Record would have been the same with or without Covid.
That was in regards to Thorr and the school, who I was defending not Cox.

Dealing with lost revenue no fans, then the following year with all the restrictions.

Plus all the logistics and costs regarding games cancelled and finding replacements if possible.
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

That was in regards to Thorr and the school, who I was defending not Cox.

Dealing with lost revenue no fans, then the following year with all the restrictions.

Plus all the logistics and costs regarding games cancelled and finding replacements if possible.
Got it
RhodyKyle
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by RhodyKyle »

Jersey77 wrote: 1 year ago Unfortunately, the Cox experiment failed, that happens.
Almost every program even the top tier ones, go through some hires that don't work out.
Even Kentucky had a couple years with Billy Gillispie.
PlayMikeMotenMore
Tom Garrick

Unread post by PlayMikeMotenMore »

RhodyKyle wrote: 1 year ago
Jersey77 wrote: 1 year ago Unfortunately, the Cox experiment failed, that happens.
Matt Doherty at UNC.
Dave Leitao at UVA.
Happy Dobbs at Brown. (just seeing if you're paying attention)
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

PlayMikeMotenMore wrote: 1 year ago
Matt Doherty at UNC.
Dave Leitao at UVA.
After Hurley got us back to back NCAA Tournaments and 1st round wins and rankings in the Top 25 and #1 Ranking in New England we had “the Cox Experiment”. That says it all.
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

Matt Doherty at UNC.
Dave Leitao at UVA.
After Hurley got us back to back NCAA Tournaments and 1st round wins and rankings in the Top 25 and #1 Ranking in New England we had “the Cox Experiment”. That says it all.
Well yeah Ramster because Cox had no track record as a HC.

But at the time, Thorr felt he was the right hire, and most agreed, including Hurley.

The good thing is we have Archie and a strong staff going forward.
PlayMikeMotenMore
Tom Garrick

Unread post by PlayMikeMotenMore »

Matt Doherty at UNC.
Dave Leitao at UVA.
And the Pats had Pete Carroll. And USC had Pete Carroll. And the Seahawks have Pete Carroll. The point being...sometimes a hire works out, sometimes it doesn't.
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

Matt Doherty at UNC.
Dave Leitao at UVA.
Well yeah Ramster because Cox had no track record as a HC.

But at the time, Thorr felt he was the right hire, and most agreed, including Hurley.

The good thing is we have Archie and a strong staff going forward.
I know. Just kind of made me laugh when referred to as The Cox Experiment.
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

Matt Doherty at UNC.
Dave Leitao at UVA.
And the Pats had Pete Carroll. And USC had Pete Carroll. And the Seahawks have Pete Carroll. The point being...sometimes a hire works out, sometimes it doesn't.

Yep
And this 21st century we have had:

Jerry DiGregorio
Jim Baron
Dan Hurley
David Cox

Batting 1 for 4 = .250

2 of those hires had:
  • never been a HC before
  • a primary reason for hiring them was to keep the recruiting class intact after the previous Very Successful HC left URI for more $$$$
  • both followed a HC who took URI to multiple NCAA Tournaments and won multiple NCAA Tournament Games
As the old saying goes “you learn from your mistakes” so we must be getting pretty smart because we have made 3 big mistakes this century.

But, lucky for us, no damage was done. We dodged the Death Penalty.
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

Rothstein at St Joseph’s today.
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

ramster wrote: 1 year ago Rothstein at St Joseph’s today.
And La Salle, was just at Temple making a Philly run.
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

Ramster of the 6 new hires in the A10, 3 of those are 1st time HC's (Davidson, Fordham, GW) any thoughts?

Matt McKillop may have the most immediate success because it's Davidson and he was on his father's staff since 2008.
They have some solid players returning and couple of probable immediate impact transfers.

Both Chris Caputo (GW) and Keith Urgo (Fordham) have 4 returning players that have started including their top scorer.
Last season they finished 7th and 8th respectively in the A10.
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

Jersey77 wrote: 1 year ago Ramster of the 6 new hires in the A10, 3 of those are 1st time HC's (Davidson, Fordham, GW) any thoughts?

Matt McKillop may have the most immediate success because it's Davidson and he was on his father's staff since 2018.
They have some solid players returning and couple of probable immediate impact transfers.

Both Chris Caputo (GW) and Keith Urgo (Fordham) have 4 starting players returning including their top scorer.
Matt McKillop is kind of unique as far as 1st time HC’s go. You can bet his dad will be in the background providing advice, even more so than Bob Hurley continues to do for Bobby and Dan. Matt the son of a legendary Coach. Plus his Dad living right by the school.

I like Caputo and Urgo. Both good hires imho.

Not the same as DiGregorio and Cox who followed Harrick and Hurley who both came off very successful A10 Conference performances and multiple NCAA Tournaments and multiple Tournament wins. We didn’t have to hire inexperience but we did make those two choices.
Fool me once, fool me twice……….arrrrggghhhh.

For me the hire of Cox and DiGregorio was not as bad as the 11 year Jim Baron disaster. 11 long, long years where that guy had the brand spanking new Ryan Center and did nothing with it.
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

Jersey77 wrote: 1 year ago Ramster of the 6 new hires in the A10, 3 of those are 1st time HC's (Davidson, Fordham, GW) any thoughts?

Matt McKillop may have the most immediate success because it's Davidson and he was on his father's staff since 2008.

Both Chris Caputo (GW) and Keith Urgo (Fordham) have 4 starting players returning including their top scorer.
Matt McKillop is kind of unique as far as 1st time HC’s go. You can bet his dad will be in the background providing advice, even more so than Bob Hurley continues to do for Bobby and Dan. Matt the son of a legendary Coach. Plus his Dad living right by the school.

I like Caputo and Urgo. Both good hires imho.

Not the same as DiGregorio and Cox who followed Harrick and Hurley who both came off very successful A10 Conference performances and multiple NCAA Tournaments and multiple Tournament wins. We didn’t have to hire inexperience but we did make those two choices.
Fool me once, fool me twice……….arrrrggghhhh.

For me the hire of Cox and DiGregorio was not as bad as the 11 year Jim Baron disaster. 11 long, long years where that guy had the brand spanking new Ryan Center and did nothing with it.
Remember Al Skinner was an assistant under Penders and no previous HC experience.
That didn't work out so bad.
RF1
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by RF1 »

Jersey77 wrote: 1 year agoRemember Al Skinner was an assistant under Penders and no previous HC experience.

I had posted about this in the thread for a new coach. Skinner is the only man that was elevated from the URI coaching staff to head coach that really had much success in the last 50 years. English, DeGregorio, and Cox did not work out and were all fired within four years. The only other assistant that was hired in this period was Brendan Malone from Syracuse and he had little success before bailing (though he might have found it as he assembled the talent that Penders inherited) after two years. All the other Rhody coaches had previous D1 head coaching experience - Kraft, Penders, Harrick, Baron, Hurley, and most recently Miller. While some other schools such as VCU and Xavier seem to have no issues elevating staff members who maintain success, that has not been the case in Kingston. My take is that these other schools have the required institutional structure and support for success firmly in place. URI has not had that. It seems success is not necessarily tied to the Rhody administration and program. Success is very much dependent on the coach in Kingston.
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

RF1 wrote: 1 year ago
Jersey77 wrote: 1 year agoRemember Al Skinner was an assistant under Penders and no previous HC experience.

I had posted about this in the thread for a new coach. Skinner is the only man that was elevated from the URI coaching staff to head coach that really had much success in the last 50 years. English, DeGregorio, and Cox did not work out and were all fired within four years. The only other assistant that was hired in this period was Brendan Malone from Syracuse and he had little success before bailing (though he might have found it as he assembled the talent that Penders inherited) after two years. All the other Rhody coaches had previous D1 head coaching experience - Kraft, Penders, Harrick, Baron, Hurley, and most recently Miller. While some other schools such as VCU and Xavier seem to have no issues elevating staff members who maintain success, that has not been the case in Kingston. My take is that these other schools have the required institutional structure and support for success firmly in place. URI has not had that. It seems success is not necessarily tied to the Rhody administration and program. Success is very much dependent on the coach in Kingston.
Just need to pick the right coach.
Jdrums#3
Sly Williams

Just catching up from the past 3-4 days to to a hospital stay. Good to be back with you all. A lot of good posts to catch up on.

Back to business…good point, Jersey. Know thy self ( the institutions strengths, weaknesses and capabilities at the time) and know thy prospective coach (strengths, weaknesses and capability to deal with the institutions weaknesses).

Good stuff! Really enjoying all the takes.
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

Jdrums#3 wrote: 1 year ago Just catching up from the past 3-4 days to to a hospital stay. Good to be back with you all. A lot of good posts to catch up on.

Back to business…good point, Jersey. Know thy self ( the institutions strengths, weaknesses and capabilities at the time) and know thy prospective coach (strengths, weaknesses and capability to deal with the institutions weaknesses).

Good stuff! Really enjoying all the takes.
Hope you are doing well Jd.
Jdrums#3
Sly Williams

Thanks, Jersey. 👍🏼
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

Exactly. And what RF1 is showing from history is that getting established HCs has worked out much better than hiring Assistants with no prior HC Experience:

Qualified for NCAA Tournament(s) while HC at URI
Assistants Hired (1-4):
English - No
DeGregorio - No
Malone - No
Skinner - Yes
Cox - No

Experienced Head Coaches Hired (4-1):
Kraft - Yes
Penders - Yes
Harrick - Yes
Baron - No
Hurley - Yes
Miller - TBD
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

Exactly. And what RF1 is showing from history is that getting established HCs has worked out much better than hiring Assistants with no prior HC Experience:

Qualified for NCAA Tournament(s) while HC at URI
Assistants Hired (1-4):
English - No
DeGregorio - No
Malone - No
Skinner - Yes
Cox - No

Experienced Head Coaches Hired (4-1):
Kraft - Yes
Penders - Yes
Harrick - Yes
Baron - No
Hurley - Yes
Miller - TBD
This whole discussion was started because I felt at the time, hiring Cox was the right decision by Thorr.
I still defend him.
Yes we all know now that it didn't work out.
Thorr wasn't going to base his decision then on what happened to us in the past.

I moved on.

Sean Miller at Xavier and Archie Miller at Dayton were all good first time HC hires.