The Transfer Carousel - 2022-23

Talk about the men's team, upcoming opponents and news from around college hoop.
ace
Ernie Calverley

Re: The Transfer Carousel - 2022

Unread post by ace »

Billyboy78 wrote: 2 years ago
theblueram wrote: 2 years ago
RhowdyRam02 wrote: 2 years ago

I guess I just don't see how this nightmare ehrmigod not the transfer portal situation you lay out is different than the last 40 plus years of North Carolina, Duke, Kentucky, Kansas, etc recruiting classes. People really are freaking out way too much about the portal. There are definitely negatives to it but that doesn't mean we have to go crazy about it
Wrong perspective. Those teams you mentioned get the the 5* players. URI needs players who have 3+ years together to get old. An old team can beat a 5* team.
And that's exactly how our successful teams did it, by having great senior leadership. '78 had Jiggy and Stanley. '88 had Silk and Tommy. '98 had Tyson and Cat. '18 had Jared and EC. That's how we have to do it and from what I've heard Archie say in his press conference, that's his plan.
Every coach has to do both- recruit high schoolers and work the transfer portal, and I am sure Miller will. I think a lot of coaches wish it was like it used to be, the better ones adapt. Guys who transfer early to find their level and fit, like Diggins and Durugordon, are perfect for Rhody. Three years still to play and get old together.
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by Billyboy78 »

ace wrote: 2 years ago
Billyboy78 wrote: 2 years ago

Wrong perspective. Those teams you mentioned get the the 5* players. URI needs players who have 3+ years together to get old. An old team can beat a 5* team.
And that's exactly how our successful teams did it, by having great senior leadership. '78 had Jiggy and Stanley. '88 had Silk and Tommy. '98 had Tyson and Cat. '18 had Jared and EC. That's how we have to do it and from what I've heard Archie say in his press conference, that's his plan.
Every coach has to do both- recruit high schoolers and work the transfer portal, and I am sure Miller will. I think a lot of coaches wish it was like it used to be, the better ones adapt. Guys who transfer early to find their level and fit, like Diggins and Durugordon, are perfect for Rhody. Three years still to play and get old together.
Yes, Archie said something like he wants to build the program through high school recruiting and fill holes with the portal. This year might be different, as you say, with getting guys who will be here for 3 years, for the foundation of the rebuild.
adam914
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by adam914 »

TruePoint wrote: 2 years ago
Rhody83 wrote: 2 years ago Frank is serving pizza to UMass students while Archie is recruiting.

Negative drip
He's giving off a very "gym teacher from The Wonder Years" vibe here. Hopefully I'm not the only one who remember that show (one of the best of all time).

Sweep The Leg
Tom Garrick

Unread post by Sweep The Leg »

adam914 wrote: 2 years ago
Rhody83 wrote: 2 years ago Frank is serving pizza to UMass students while Archie is recruiting.

Negative drip
He's giving off a very "gym teacher from The Wonder Years" vibe here. Hopefully I'm not the only one who remember that show (one of the best of all time).

Cutlip.
'No Mercy.'
adam914
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by adam914 »

Sweep The Leg wrote: 2 years ago
Cutlip.
Haha yep! The best!
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

Unread post by RhowdyRam02 »

adam914 wrote: 2 years ago

Negative drip

Wow, that's a deep pull, but I definitely see it!
Take down the Robert Carothers banner and fix the concession stand lines
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

I've seen no evidence that Martin isn't recruiting, and I'm sure Archie is going to do something like this at some point before the season opener. It's probably smarter to do it in the fall because serving pizza to this year's seniors isn't as impactful as doing it for next year's freshmen, but oh well, that's UMass' problem
PeterRamTime
Frank Keaney

Unread post by PeterRamTime »

The UMass Rhody rivalry is going to be better than ever.
Rhody83
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhody83 »

Dude it was a joke. You do a deep dive into Martin serving pizza on what is the best time of the year to do it LMAO
“We will be good when we are good.”
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

Unread post by NYGFan_Section208 »

reef wrote: 2 years ago Welcome to the college hoops version of free agency it is what it is
I'm waiting for the 4 or 5 top guys to join forces and demand to go to one team and start. Like the nba.
I guess I just don't see how this nightmare ehrmigod not the transfer portal situation you lay out is different than the last 40 plus years of North Carolina, Duke, Kentucky, Kansas, etc recruiting classes. People really are freaking out way too much about the portal. There are definitely negatives to it but that doesn't mean we have to go crazy about it
Right. No need to go crazy "about" it, just go crazy "in" it.
Blue Man
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Blue Man »

giovanni wrote: 2 years ago Although he has done "nothing", there will be several programs that will welcome his "nothing,". I agree with Adam, he will have his high major offers. And , though Diggins has done "nothing", and Floyd obviously has done nothing because he hasn't played I would gladly welcome any of the three of all three in Kingston
Dan hasn’t lost a single impact player so far and brought in probably the best point guard in the portal in Newton yesterday. He might actually be the best PG in the Big East.

As Ace said, Akok never really came back from injury and had any impact there unfortunately. Honestly I’m not sure I’d want him based on what I saw. Don’t think he’s durable enough to play more than 15 mins a night.

Diggins I would chase for the upside.
If you say you’re a Rhody fan, I know you are my brother. For you have suffered as I have suffered.

Give to the Athletic Director's Fund

Give to Rhody's NIL
ace
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by ace »

Blue Man wrote: 2 years ago
giovanni wrote: 2 years ago Although he has done "nothing", there will be several programs that will welcome his "nothing,". I agree with Adam, he will have his high major offers. And , though Diggins has done "nothing", and Floyd obviously has done nothing because he hasn't played I would gladly welcome any of the three of all three in Kingston
Dan hasn’t lost a single impact player so far and brought in probably the best point guard in the portal in Newton yesterday. He might actually be the best PG in the Big East.

As Ace said, Akok never really came back from injury and had any impact there unfortunately. Honestly I’m not sure I’d want him based on what I saw. Don’t think he’s durable enough to play more than 15 mins a night.

I think Floyd is going to be really good. He saw Hawkins, Newton, and Jackson ahead of him, and there’s talk of Castle reclassifying, and got worried about minutes. He would have gotten a lot this season, I think, but they’ll hit the portal for his replacement now. He reclassified and red-shirted, so he’s still only 18. His high school tape always reminded me of Jared Terrell, especially his physicality. His dad played at Providence, so that could be an option. A real close look is going to be directed to wherever he goes. I could see Akok staying in the area, too. I think if Diggins gets past his visit to UMass without committing on the spot, Rhody gets him.
hrstrat57
Sly Williams

Unread post by hrstrat57 »

Kinda worried about Diggins visiting uMass.

Who doesn’t dig free pizza?
We're gonna run the picket fence at "em.....now boys don't get caught watchin' the paint dry!
Rhody74
Sly Williams

Unread post by Rhody74 »

hrstrat57 wrote: 2 years ago Kinda worried about Diggins visiting uMass.

Who doesn’t dig free pizza?
It’ll be cold by the time he gets there.
Slava Ukraini!
Big Rhody Guy
Steve Chubin

Unread post by Big Rhody Guy »

I am also worried and would rather be the first visit. Blow the guy away and you don't even give him a chance to go on his second visit.
@Bigrhodyguy on Twitter
Blogging for fun @ https://bigrhodyguy.wixsite.com/website
Rhody83
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhody83 »

sevegny7
Art Stephenson

Unread post by sevegny7 »

I would love to have diggins added to the roster. However, Durugordon seems to much closer to committing than Diggins. Seems like once the visit for Sean Durugordon is over we could be getting a commitment. If we miss on Diggins I will not lose sleep over it. I would almost prefer Sean Durugordon at this point long athletic wing that can really score the ball. Especially with plenty of guys still in the portal. Both would be tremendous. I feel like the decision is pretty fucking easy picking URI over umass for about a million reasons. So if diggins can not see that ah well on to the next recruit.
STC
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by STC »

I don't see why it has to be one or the other, we need a PG and we need a wing. Heck, we need everything at this point.
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

Unread post by NYGFan_Section208 »

STC wrote: 2 years ago I don't see why it has to be one or the other, we need a PG and we need a wing. Heck, we need everything at this point.
Agree....earlier talk about having a solid core was kinda silly
ace
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by ace »

There is a lot of talent out there-

https://watchstadium.com/the-top-75-col ... 4-14-2022/

steveystuds06
Sly Williams

Unread post by steveystuds06 »

ace wrote: 2 years ago There is a lot of talent out there-

https://watchstadium.com/the-top-75-col ... 4-14-2022/

Another one..
ATTITUDE IS EVERYTHING
woodennickel1
ARD

Unread post by woodennickel1 »

Blue Man wrote: 2 years ago

Kid went 2-11 from the field against Houston . To say he's now the best pg in the Big East is a little ridiculous. Kid might end up a good player but let's see what he does against teams other then Tulane , Tulsa and the rest of the Aac garbage.
Last edited by woodennickel1 2 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
RF1
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by RF1 »

Going on school #4 (BC/Maryland/WKU/ ? ). This is the college basketball environment today. It is out of control with the number of transfers.
Rhodymob05
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhodymob05 »

I grabbed a slice from Dan in the library once. Nice touch.
GO RAMS
ace
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by ace »

Maybe why Rahsool’s visit was cancelled?

Rhody83
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhody83 »

None of the players we have heard URI is involved with are in Goodman’s Top 75 transfers.
steveystuds06
Sly Williams

Unread post by steveystuds06 »

Rhody83 wrote: 2 years ago None of the players we have heard URI is involved with are in Goodman’s Top 75 transfers.
https://247sports.com/LongFormArticle/C ... 86193112_1

Diggins is on this one
ATTITUDE IS EVERYTHING
Ramfan22
ARD

Unread post by Ramfan22 »

ace wrote: 2 years ago Maybe why Rahsool’s visit was cancelled?

ace
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by ace »

Providence-UConn games are going to be wild next season.
ace
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by ace »

Ramfan22 wrote: 2 years ago
ace wrote: 2 years ago Maybe why Rahsool’s visit was cancelled?

Well there you go, thanks.

It’s not all reward for guys going into the portal. Some find it’s not exactly what they thought it would be. Take the risk if you want, but know it’s there.
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

ace wrote: 2 years ago Providence-UConn games are going to be wild next season.
Also Nova v Uconn gonna be sick too
Rhody72
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Rhody72 »

Do we have any players yet?
NCAAs or Bust!
Rhode_Island_Red
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Rhode_Island_Red »

Hopefully double forfeits so they both lose.
Proudly supplying the Internet with online wisecracks, impertinent comments and loathing of all things mental hospital since 1996.
ElmCityRhody
Sly Williams

Unread post by ElmCityRhody »

Rhode_Island_Red wrote: 2 years ago
Hopefully double forfeits so they both lose.

I could give a flying fuck about PC/UCONN

THIS IS RHODY LAND !

and congrats to PC for having 1 play in victory in a the ncaa since 1998 then having 2 victories against basketball powerhouses South Dakota state and Richmond

I’m mighty proud of ya ! (Jerky boys voice)
ace
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by ace »

Does the A10 allow transfers between its teams without penalty?
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

ace wrote: 2 years ago Does the A10 allow transfers between its teams without penalty?
No penalty

NEWPORT NEWS, Va.— The Atlantic 10 Conference concluded its annual Presidents Council / Athletic Directors business meetings Thursday, making several key decisions related to student-athlete welfare, league policies, procedures and championships. Lead among these was removal of the league's intraconference transfer policy for men's and women's basketball. This action permits immediate eligibility for basketball student-athletes transferring between two A-10 institutions, aligning the conference with the NCAA transfer legislation.

https://atlantic10.com/news/2021/6/10/a ... genda.aspx
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by Billyboy78 »

ace wrote: 2 years ago Does the A10 allow transfers between its teams without penalty?
Who's coming? Malachi? :o
ace
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by ace »

No specific players. I was just remembering that the Big East had finally made that change and couldn’t remember if the A10 had.
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by rambone 78 »

Well I guess we know why Floyd and Diggins transferred.......kids want PT and at UConn they weren't going to get what they wanted.
Iggy1979
Sly Williams

Unread post by Iggy1979 »

Floyd would've played but not started
"Every season, college basketball has one or two teams that rise from dormancy to relevancy, squads that make long-awaited charges at the NCAA Tournament and become really fun storylines along the way."
Ramfan22
ARD

Unread post by Ramfan22 »

George Washington transfer Brayon Freeman is on a visit to Rhode Island, per source.
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

Ramfan22 wrote: 2 years ago George Washington transfer Brayon Freeman is on a visit to Rhode Island, per source.
Would be an. excellent pick up

A10 2021-2022 All-Rookie Team
DaRon Holmes II, Dayton
Malachi Smith, Dayton
Brayon Freeman, George Washington
Erik Reynolds II, Saint Joseph's
Jayden Nunn, VCU
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Jersey77 »

ramster wrote: 2 years ago
Ramfan22 wrote: 2 years ago George Washington transfer Brayon Freeman is on a visit to Rhode Island, per source.
Would be an. excellent pick up

A10 2021-2022 All-Rookie Team
DaRon Holmes II, Dayton
Malachi Smith, Dayton
Brayon Freeman, George Washington
Erik Reynolds II, Saint Joseph's
Jayden Nunn, VCU
Yes Ramster.
Averaged 10 pts/ .436% (3PT)

I would take him.
McRam
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by McRam »

Does this mean that Diggins is no longer in the mix?
Rhody74
Sly Williams

Unread post by Rhody74 »

Freeman went to National Christian Academy, where Kenny Johnson coached.
Slava Ukraini!
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

McRam wrote: 2 years ago
Does this mean that Diggins is no longer in the mix?
Can't put all our eggs in one basket.
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

You sly fox, you still got it
Bos8
Tom Garrick

Unread post by Bos8 »

Bray went to Dematha as a freshman, before heading to conference rival O'Connell for his sophomore year. After spending a year at Huntington Prep he finished his high school career back home at National Christian for Kenny Johnson
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

Bos8 wrote: 2 years ago Bray went to Dematha as a freshman, before heading to conference rival O'Connell for his sophomore year. After spending a year at Huntington Prep he finished his high school career back home at National Christian for Kenny Johnson
I would take him over Diggins, at this point.
RhodyKyle
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by RhodyKyle »

You sly fox, you still got it
How did she know?!?!?!