Covid-19 Effect on College Basketball & Other Sports

Talk about the men's team, upcoming opponents and news from around college hoop.
section(105)
Ernie Calverley

Re: Covid-19 Effect on College Basketball & Other Sports

Unread post by section(105) »

......Big East has postponed Fall sports......
Ram logo via Grist 1938
SGreenwell
Sly Williams

Unread post by SGreenwell »

My lurking suspicion is that there will be X college football teams that want to play, likely in the range of 10 to 30, all in the south, with coaches and/or state administrators in deep denial about this shit, and they'll just do something for this year. Call it an "exhibition tournament" or "challenge cup," similar to what the soccer leagues did, I suppose. They *could* do a bubble if they wanted - how much money is pumped into college football each year from the TV contracts? - but I don't think they will, because that whole culture is geared toward not criticizing the coach anyway.
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

Looks to me that the SEC ACC and Big 12 will play this fall and then the BIg 10 and Pac 12 will play in the spring so more games going on
section(105)
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by section(105) »

......let’s say the Running Rams play games, home and away, with zero fans present, in some A-10 format, wonder if the TV, stream tecHnology would get ramped up for fan viewing......I guess the TV depends on sponsor $$$.......just radio?......This has probably been beat around......
Ram logo via Grist 1938
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

Unless things get much worse, it is clear the Big 12 will play football, as they just reiterated their commitment. The SEC is still on pace as well and it is likely, barring any significant changes, the ACC will play a conference schedule. Why the differences? Because college football is not just a national sport; it is also a regional sport. The Big 12 has six of its 10 members from Texas and Oklahoma, where college football is part of its culture. Same with the SEC, whose membership exists mostly throughout the Southeast. The ACC stretches from Syracuse to Miami but it’s headquartered in the South and remains dominated by schools from that area. The Pac-12? Most of its schools are located in California, Oregon and Washington and you see every day on the news what conditions those states are in. Same with the Big Ten, which has many of its members in so-called “hot spots” of the virus and stretches from Nebraska to Maryland.

https://www.providencejournal.com/sport ... g-too-soon
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

Daily New Cases 7-Day moving average shows declines in Texas, Florida and the US Overall. The sky is not falling but is clearing. S&P 500 hitting all time highs

Politics And the highly liberal Press would have you believe the world is ending

Tons of money has been made by Smart Investors represented by the V-Shaped Stock Market Curve. Housing Prices reflect that money has been made -

Declining New Cases in US Overall with reopening having taken place

Big 12, SEC and ACC did not follow the Big 10 or the PAC 10 and likely will not cancel Football. Data shows they should stay the path, not be influenced by the media.

9649EB61-E18B-4461-892C-E970F65A2625.png
957C4963-3BA5-4A82-9430-FAAA239E8C64.png
F75EC099-068B-4CFB-B505-5E9323C7142A.png
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

Will be interesting to see what Iowa and Nebraska do. Join the Big 12 for Football this season?

SGreenwell
Sly Williams

Unread post by SGreenwell »

ramster wrote: 3 years ago Daily New Cases 7-Day moving average shows declines in Texas, Florida and the US Overall. The sky is not falling but is clearing. S&P 500 hitting all time highs
I wonder what Texas and Florida have in common... The ole "if we test less people, we have less cases" thing.
Rhode_Island_Red
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Rhode_Island_Red »

ramster wrote: 3 years ago Daily New Cases 7-Day moving average shows declines in Texas, Florida and the US Overall. The sky is not falling but is clearing. S&P 500 hitting all time highs
Econ 101: The stock market is NOT the economy. If it was we’d have full employment. And even before the pandemic, most people couldn’t come up with $500 for an emergency.
Proudly supplying the Internet with online wisecracks, impertinent comments and loathing of all things mental hospital since 1996.
Rhode_Island_Red
Carlton Owens

Rhody74 wrote: 3 years ago
SmartyBarrett wrote: 3 years ago
When has it been “fair and equitable”?
It is for the Cartel. That’s obvious nepotism hire Dan Gavitt’s one job.
Proudly supplying the Internet with online wisecracks, impertinent comments and loathing of all things mental hospital since 1996.
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

Rhode_Island_Red wrote: 3 years ago
Econ 101: The stock market is NOT the economy. If it was we’d have full employment. And even before the pandemic, most people couldn’t come up with $500 for an emergency.
Half the population owns zero stock

The Markets look to the future, not the past or present.

Markets bombed March 23 predicting the Covid disaster. That was the time to sell. Market has been bullish with Standard and Popes 500 setting record highs.
Rhode_Island_Red
Carlton Owens

ramster wrote: 3 years ago

Markets bombed March 23 predicting the Covid disaster. That was the time to sell. Market has been bullish with Standard and Popes 500 setting record highs.
With interest rates near zero, the only place where investors can make money is in stocks. Following the law of supply and demand, that keeps stock prices high.
steviep123
Sly Williams

Unread post by steviep123 »

Rhody74 wrote: 3 years ago
SmartyBarrett wrote: 3 years ago
When has it been “fair and equitable”?
R74, you beat me to it.
Bleed Keaney Blue!

”I'm not coming there to be in the top 3 of the Atlantic 10. I'm coming to win the damn thing!”
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

SGreenwell wrote: 3 years ago
I wonder what Texas and Florida have in common... The ole "if we test less people, we have less cases" thing.
Covid hit NY, NJ early because of flights from Europe primarily and to some extent China. Boston too. Washington State hit early from China visitation.

Covid spread to Texas, Arizona, Florida, Louisiana, South Carolina, Oklahoma later. But now, just like in the Northeast, those states are recovering. But the liberal news media doesn’t show facts, just the sky is falling agenda.

Covid is on the way out. Need to be very selective with stock buying now. Most of the money has already been made.

Went from 18,500 on March 23 to 28,000 now
08CD5180-2219-4827-9F24-1902C9D24F8A.png
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

A60AA284-B7DC-4A08-82CA-B2FF49390736.png
Arizona was another hot spot. No more
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by Billyboy78 »

Here's how the mindset has changed. When businesses and schools started shutting down in March, there were approximately 5000 reported cases in the U.S and around 100 deaths. Now we're over 5 million reported cases and over 166,000 deaths and schools and businesses are reopening.
SmartyBarrett
Sly Williams

Unread post by SmartyBarrett »

With interest rates near zero, the only place where investors can make money is in stocks. Following the law of supply and demand, that keeps stock prices high.
This also plays into the housing prices piece. People can charge more and afford more because the interest rates for a mortgage are historically low.
Roz
ARD

Unread post by Roz »

Covid hit NY, NJ early because of flights from Europe primarily and to some extent China. Boston too. Washington State hit early from China visitation.

Covid spread to Texas, Arizona, Florida, Louisiana, South Carolina, Oklahoma later. But now, just like in the Northeast, those states are recovering. But the liberal news media doesn’t show facts, just the sky is falling agenda.

Covid is on the way out. Need to be very selective with stock buying now. Most of the money has already been made.

Texas has over 20% of people tested coming back positive so would not say it is on its way out. It would be if everyone wore their masks.
hrstrat57
Sly Williams

Unread post by hrstrat57 »

Econ is 200 level at URI

Thus the confusion here? 🤔

:)
We're gonna run the picket fence at "em.....now boys don't get caught watchin' the paint dry!
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

Roz wrote: 3 years ago

Texas has over 20% of people tested coming back positive so would not say it is on its way out. It would be if everyone wore their masks.
4E187AC6-8E63-4AE3-839A-3A32FF1E6AAE.png
rjsuperfly66
Carlton Owens

Unread post by rjsuperfly66 »

I don't care what the numbers say -- Until the impact of COVID is greatly neutralized (5-10K cases per day with maximum testing and contact tracing), sports that exist outside of a bubble for amateur athletes should not be played, period, end of story.

If a professional athlete making millions of dollars wants to take the risk, that is their right and they are old enough and mature enough to make that decision for themselves and their family.

But in my opinion, the student-athlete getting a free education and a few thousand per year should not be treated the same as a professional athlete. As these schools figure out ways to keep kids separate and eliminate touchpoints, athletes should not be treated different because they play sports and drive revenue to the school, unless of course you can create a bubble for them where they are in fact safer than they would probably be home and out of school while also playing the sport they love.

Yes, great, numbers are going down in Texas, they still have several thousand very sick and hundreds dying every day. That's not a win. In no universe is that a win. But to the loonies out there "It's better, we can play, we can live our lives."

I'm extraordinarily proud of the leadership in the Big Ten and the Pac-12 to turn down several millions in favor of the safety of their players. But this is lunacy. These games should be scheduled for the spring, when a vaccine is out and things are under better control.
DeanDome88
Tom Garrick

Unread post by DeanDome88 »

rjsuperfly66 wrote: 3 years ago I don't care what the numbers say -- Until the impact of COVID is greatly neutralized (5-10K cases per day with maximum testing and contact tracing), sports that exist outside of a bubble for amateur athletes should not be played, period, end of story.

If a professional athlete making millions of dollars wants to take the risk, that is their right and they are old enough and mature enough to make that decision for themselves and their family.

But in my opinion, the student-athlete getting a free education and a few thousand per year should not be treated the same as a professional athlete. As these schools figure out ways to keep kids separate and eliminate touchpoints, athletes should not be treated different because they play sports and drive revenue to the school, unless of course you can create a bubble for them where they are in fact safer than they would probably be home and out of school while also playing the sport they love.

Yes, great, numbers are going down in Texas, they still have several thousand very sick and hundreds dying every day. That's not a win. In no universe is that a win. But to the loonies out there "It's better, we can play, we can live our lives."

I'm extraordinarily proud of the leadership in the Big Ten and the Pac-12 to turn down several millions in favor of the safety of their players. But this is lunacy. These games should be scheduled for the spring, when a vaccine is out and things are under better control.
My nephews and nieces have been playing sports all summer. I'd rather let them and their parents decide what is appropriate.
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

I wouldn’t be so sure Ramster there very well could be a 2nd wave from October - December ???
JimSidd
Art Stephenson

Unread post by JimSidd »

I expect to see a spike once all schools start up. It’s already happened in Georgia. Any sort of congregate setting is a potential problem. Most school buildings in Ri are 50 years old or more: not set up for social distancing. Dubious air quality unless upgrades are made quickly.

As for the media, there is a certain element of overdramatization in some of the stories, but the media doesn’t collect the statistics on cases, hospitalizations and deaths. I don’t think that state health departments and the CDC are faking positive case numbers and hospitalization numbers.

The key thing everyone needs to remember until we have an effective vaccine is not to overwhelm the health care system.

As for college sports, I wouldn’t go forward with any in the fall. I don’t know if we’ll be in a better place in January, but I’m hoping.
rhodylaw
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by rhodylaw »

The spike in Georgia is due to stupidity - it would be like sending kids to school in the Northeast in April.

We will see some localized spikes in the northeast when school starts up but I don’t expect major problems. Kids have been interacting all summer and the numbers aren’t that bad. The problem will be when the school overacts to a kid with the sniffles and quarantines the school.
rhodylaw
Cuttino Mobley

To add to my thought, if we maintain policies that promote work from home while opening schools we should be in better shape.
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

reef wrote: 3 years ago

I wouldn’t be so sure Ramster there very well could be a 2nd wave from October - December ???
If we do see a 2nd wave then the Stock Market and the Economy will reflect that. There has not been a 2nd wave in any other country at this point.
Rhody83
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhody83 »

rhodylaw wrote: 3 years ago
We will see some localized spikes in the northeast when school starts up but I don’t expect major problems. Kids have been interacting all summer and the numbers aren’t that bad. The problem will be when the school overacts to a kid with the sniffles and quarantines the school.
You have no idea what will happen when schools start up. No one knows. What data do you have on “kids have been interacting all summer”?
How do you know the schools “will overact“? Seems like your mind/agenda is made up in advance. There is a difference between outside activities and being in a classroom/school for 5-6 hours/day.
“We will be good when we are good.”
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

rjsuperfly66 wrote: 3 years ago I don't care what the numbers say -- Until the impact of COVID is greatly neutralized (5-10K cases per day with maximum testing and contact tracing), sports that exist outside of a bubble for amateur athletes should not be played, period, end of story.
NFL is planning on playing. Some teams allowing 10,000 to 20,000 fans in attendance, some zero fans like the NY Football Giants. Final decisions on attendance will be based on CDC recommendations, State recommendations and the trending of the Covid-19 in the respective geographical areas.

So in Rhode Island we have Little League Baseball, High School Baseball and Girls Softball being played - all Amateur. Families sitting in the stands in large numbers since they have "cabin fever" from being indoors so long.
College Football will likely be played in the ACC, SEC and Big 12. If players don't want to play they don't have to and some have chosen not to play - certainly their right. At Wisconsin they will not allow players another year of eligibility due to the cost and the incoming Class of Freshmen - will have too many players on the Roster and too many Scholarships that they cannot afford. This philosophy could trickle over to other schools as well.

Amateur Athletes can certainly chose to not take the risk as well and many are choosing that path. But what about players like Trevor Lawrence who want to play? This is his last season before he plans to go Pro. Why shouldn't he get to choose to play?

Absolutely is not a win - nothing about Covid-19 is a win.
Point is that the numbers are trending down but you hear little of that from the "sky is falling" media. This Covid-19 thing is heavily politicized now and especially in an election year.
For the ACC, SEC and Big 12 they should be looking at projections for Covid-19 for when the Football Games will be played in October, November and December. There are many experts who can and do extrapolate the current graphs quite accurately.

Look at the numbers in China, Italy, Spain. I hear that China is slowly and steadily getting back to normal. Hotels are filling up more. Italy, Spain, Germany and others experienced the Covid-19 well before the USA got it. They did a better and faster job of reducing it than the US but they did it without a Vaccine. The Vaccine will help of course but you don't require the Vaccine to get the economy, schools and sports back to a semblance of normalcy.
Last edited by ramster 3 years ago, edited 2 times in total.
Rhody83
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhody83 »

If we do see a 2nd wave then the Stock Market and the Economy will reflect that. There has not been a 2nd wave in any other country at this point.
You realize the U.S. hasn’t followed other countries right. The U.S. has less than 5% of the world population and has 22% of the Covid deaths.
As far as Covid being on its way out, can you explain why the U.S. Covid deaths 7 day avg has been over 1,000 since July 24th (that’s 21 days).
“We will be good when we are good.”
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

Rhody83 wrote: 3 years ago

You realize the U.S. hasn’t followed other countries right. The U.S. has less than 5% of the world population and has 22% of the Covid deaths.
As far as Covid being on its way out, can you explain why the U.S. Covid deaths 7 day avg has been over 1,000 since July 24th (that’s 21 days).
Absolutely the US has not followed what those countries did. Those countries didn't fill up their Nursing Homes in NY like Andrew Cuomo did with people discharged from NY Hospitals who had Covid-19 either - the dumbest move in any Country or State by far - killed thousands of elderly totally unnecessarily and totally avoidable. Cuomo finally reversed that idiotic policy on May 12 but not until after thousand died unnecessarily. Many US States did a terrible job of protecting the elderly in Nursing Homes and Assisted Living Homes - absolutely deplorable.

Countries in Europe (with the exceptions of Sweden) and in Central/South America (with the exception of Brazil) and in Asia implement lockdowns. The US does not do a good job at all of locking down or doing shelter in place. Best way to snuff out a Covid Virus is to have people lock down for at least 2 weeks. The US does not do well with this at all - too much independence among the general population. Nobody wants to be told what to do.

More Covid Cases and Deaths now because States opened up - especially California, Texas, Florida, Georgia, Alabama, South Carolina, North Carolina, Arizona.
The Hot Weather that was theorized by some to diminish the effect of Covid was just that - a theory that never materialized.
Wait til Labor Day weekend where they say 5 million will fly to Florida for vacation - more idiotic traveling to spread Covid-19 more. Doesn't happen in any country but the US.

All of the States I just mentioned are showing they hit their peaks and are now trending down - slowly, but down.
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Ramster, the 2nd wave isn't expected until the fall/winter. We're still in the first wave.
Rhody72
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Rhody72 »

Figures don't lie, but liars sure know how to figure! 10,000+ and counting.
NCAAs or Bust!
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

Billyboy78 wrote: 3 years ago Ramster, the 2nd wave isn't expected until the fall/winter. We're still in the first wave.
Nobody knows If there will be a 2nd, 3rd or 50th wave.
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

Huge breakthrough for sports by Yale University and the NBA

hrstrat57
Sly Williams

Unread post by hrstrat57 »

This test could move life back towards normal.

Need mass availability now.
We're gonna run the picket fence at "em.....now boys don't get caught watchin' the paint dry!
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

hrstrat57 wrote: 3 years ago This test could move life back towards normal.

Need mass availability now.
rhodylaw
Cuttino Mobley

Rhody83 wrote: 3 years ago
rhodylaw wrote: 3 years ago
You have no idea what will happen when schools start up. No one knows. What data do you have on “kids have been interacting all summer”?
How do you know the schools “will overact“? Seems like your mind/agenda is made up in advance. There is a difference between outside activities and being in a classroom/school for 5-6 hours/day.
You are right - I don’t know. But guess what, no one knows for sure. My mind is made up that we should try and get school in until November and that college basketball should play in some form.

1. I have eyes so I can see the massive amounts of people in our communities interacting.

2. Despite that massive interaction, daily infection rates are in the 100s across New England.

With masks and some precautions (which will happen in the Northeast states) we will LIKELY be fine until it starts to turn to winter. There will be local hot spots that need to be tamped down - as the CDC has recently said keeping things closed is the wrong policy.
Rhody72
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Rhody72 »

Athletic budget appropriation + revenue - expenses > 0. This is reality. There is no running of a deficit. There are substantial fixed costs - especially salaries. Men's basketball was the cash cow that supported other sports. There must be substantial pressure to get as positive a financial bottom line from MBB as possible to keep supported program alive. This is a short term but critical matter.
NCAAs or Bust!
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Billyboy78 wrote: 3 years ago Ramster, the 2nd wave isn't expected until the fall/winter. We're still in the first wave.
I prefer to listen to the experts who have been studying these types of things their entire adult lives as compared to someone who reads and speaks and a 5th grade level who says it's going to magically disappear.
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

Billyboy78 wrote: 3 years ago
I prefer to listen to the experts who have been studying these types of things their entire adult lives as compared to someone who reads and speaks and a 5th grade level who says it's going to magically disappear.
Show me where I said it would magically disappear.
I said it is heading down in the US as the Experts are saying.

Today’s NY Times.....
BCBAE0F4-7FA6-450A-B0DE-E870415B0F94.png
https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.nytime ... s.amp.html
Last edited by ramster 3 years ago, edited 4 times in total.
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

NFL Attendance Plans at this time.....

https://www.yahoo.com/sports/which-nfl- ... 08187.html
JimSidd
Art Stephenson

Unread post by JimSidd »

Today’s NY Times.....

I think Billyboy78 may be referring to a certain weekend golfer who’s primary residence is 1600 Pennsylvania Avenue.
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

JimSidd wrote: 3 years ago

Today’s NY Times.....

I think Billyboy78 may be referring to a certain weekend golfer who’s primary residence is 1600 Pennsylvania Avenue.
Some States have done very well, some states have done average and some states have done below average led by their Governors and Health Experts.

Rhode Island has led the US in Testing per 100,000 residents and put strong emphasis on moving properly from Phase 1, to Phase 2, to Phase 3......following the Federal and CDC Guidelines for moving forward. Other States did not follow the Federal and CDC Recommended Guidelines for moving ahead in Phases and they paid the prices.

Raimondo has been a true leader in the Covid Fight - with RI stuck between Hot Spots NYC and Boston plus vacationers from all over but RI has performed well. Little League, Girls Softball, High School Summer Baseball, etc are all in motion in Rhode Island. Beaches are busy. New England, NY and NJ have decreased significantly. Raimondo is mad at Warwick for implementing distance learning to start off. She wants to get kids back in school and get the economy opened back up. She is doing things the right way but now has to deal with the Teacher's Unions.

MLB, NHL and the NFL are all going to have seasons and playoffs.

SEC, ACC and BIG 12 will more than likely have College Football Seasons and will have the FBS 4 Team Playoff - the NCAA does not control or have involvement in the FBS Playoffs - it's out of their control.

I find it hard to believe that there will be no College Basketball with all these other sports taking place or plans to take place.
JimSidd
Art Stephenson

Unread post by JimSidd »

JimSidd wrote: 3 years ago

Today’s NY Times.....

Some States have done very well, some states have done average and some states have done below average led by their Governors and Health Experts.

Rhode Island has led the US in Testing per 100,000 residents and put strong emphasis on moving properly from Phase 1, to Phase 2, to Phase 3......following the Federal and CDC Guidelines for moving forward. Other States did not follow the Federal and CDC Recommended Guidelines for moving ahead in Phases and they paid the prices.

Raimondo has been a true leader in the Covid Fight - with RI stuck between Hot Spots NYC and Boston plus vacationers from all over but RI has performed well. Little League, Girls Softball, High School Summer Baseball, etc are all in motion in Rhode Island. Beaches are busy. New England, NY and NJ have decreased significantly. Raimondo is mad at Warwick for implementing distance learning to start off. She wants to get kids back in school and get the economy opened back up. She is doing things the right way but now has to deal with the Teacher's Unions.

MLB, NHL and the NFL are all going to have seasons and playoffs.

SEC, ACC and BIG 12 will more than likely have College Football Seasons and will have the FBS 4 Team Playoff - the NCAA does not control or have involvement in the FBS Playoffs - it's out of their control.

I find it hard to believe that there will be no College Basketball with all these other sports taking place or plans to take place.
I initially thought that all pro sports would start but not finish. The bubble environments for the NBA and NHL have proven to be wildly successful: more so than I thought. MLB has been compromised somewhat and will continue to be. I think results may look a bit strange at the end, with not all teams playing 60 games, but I do agree that they will crown a champion. The NFL will power through no matter what: too much money involved not to.

I also think there will be some sort of college basketball season, but it may not begin until after January 1, or maybe after Thanksgiving break, when most campuses go remote. I wouldn’t make having fans in the stands a priority. I like going to live games, but would give it up for a year if the powers that be feel it will make things safer.

I feel there will be some fear among conference commissioners and university administrators of lawsuits from parents of players who test positive and that may influence play or don’t play decisions. That may have been a factor in the Big 10 and PAC 12 decisions regarding football. That would not be made public, though.

I worry about mass gatherings of students once they return to school. This should be easy to quell on campus, but what about off campus parties. Young people will do what they do. As a 60+ person, I know what do do now, but I have wondered to myself what I would have done 40 years ago if we had this situation. I’d like to think I would have even responsible, but young people sometimes do dumb things.
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

Rhode_Island_Red
Carlton Owens

Translation: “I make too much money to care whether some of the help might catch the virus.”
RI_Rams
Jeff Kent

Unread post by RI_Rams »

I see his point. He's a coach and wants to work.