The 2019 Coaching Carousel

Talk about the men's team, upcoming opponents and news from around college hoop.
ace
Ernie Calverley

Re: The 2019 Coaching Carousel

Unread post by ace »

Rhody83 wrote: 5 years ago Michael Porter Sr hired twice because of his sons - Washington and then Missouri.
One of the first was Danny Manning’s father being hired at Kansas.

I don’t get how Bergeron/UMass can recruit kids from Woodstock but with Bosewell and Carroll there was a 1 year look back and 1 year waiting period. I guess the NCAA is focused on AAU programs and not Prep Schools or High Schools. Prep Schools that take most of these players for one year are the winter version of AAU.
Was there a waiting period with players connected to Carroll? The rule only applies when a person is hired in a non-coaching position, like when Ty was named DBO.

To the other guy’s point, bringing Ty in that way hurt them temporarily with recruiting Expressions guys, but it allowed him to get familiar with that side of the program. He proved himself and earned the promotion and has shown himself to be a very good recruiter.
Rhody83
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhody83 »

That explains it. The rule doesn’t make sense. Why punish the DBO position.
Someone mentioned that there was a waiting period on Carroll but that may have been incorrect.
“We will be good when we are good.”
ace
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by ace »

Rhody83 wrote: 5 years ago That explains it. The rule doesn’t make sense. Why punish the DBO position.
Someone mentioned that there was a waiting period on Carroll but that may have been incorrect.
It’s to keep schools from hiring a connection in some random or bogus position, maybe one they just conveniently made up, without consequence. Assistant coach spots are limited and valuable.
raminwarwick
Abdul Fox

Unread post by raminwarwick »

As Ace says - " Assistant coach spots are limited and valuable." With Carroll out our coaches have really been putting in the time and miles. Ty must truly be living out of a suitcase and TJ is doing way more than his DBO position calls for. They are both getting valuable experience as they try to move up the coaching ladder but It is embarrassing to see Ty getting less than some of the asst. coaches in the A10. Rhody must up the pay for the Assistants in order to keep them. I have heard that Ty may be looking to leave because of the pay. We must compensate our staff to keep improving. Ask the players what they think about the two coaches I have mentioned.
ATPTourFan
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ATPTourFan »

RamInWarwick, please check your private messages and reply to me.
Support Coach Miller & Rhody Basketball! Give to the Athletic Director's Fund
ace
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by ace »

ATPTourFan
Frank Keaney

Not D1 hoops but...

ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

Michigan job opens up. Beilein goes to NBA Cavs.
rhodyruckus
Tom Garrick

Unread post by rhodyruckus »

Beilein is no spring chicken, so it seems like he'd like to give the NBA a spin before retiring with relatively low expectations on the Cleveland side of things. Haven't followed him closely, but in the Michigan games I have caught he doesn't seem like a super dictatorial coach who would be a fish out of water working with professionals.
Section104
Art Stephenson

Unread post by Section104 »

I wonder if Nate Oats is regretting jumping over to Alabama now that the Michigan job is open
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

woodennickel1
ARD

Unread post by woodennickel1 »

Section104 wrote: 5 years ago I wonder if Nate Oats is regretting jumping over to Alabama now that the Michigan job is open

He could always pull a Chris Beard. :D
Rhody83
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhody83 »

woodennickel1 wrote: 5 years ago
Section104 wrote: 5 years ago I wonder if Nate Oats is regretting jumping over to Alabama now that the Michigan job is open

He could always pull a Chris Beard. :D
Nate’s buyout at Alabama is $8 million.
Seawrightspostgame
Sly Williams

Unread post by Seawrightspostgame »

Interesting vacancy in Michigan.
I want to change my name to BlockIslandFerry
JimSidd
Art Stephenson

Unread post by JimSidd »

Bloggers started floating names of potential successors a half hour after the story broke. Everyone trying to be first, with nothing to back up the names. Have already seen Jay Wright, Billy Donovan and Brad Stevens mentioned ..... and of course, the obligatory Rick Pitino reference.
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

Michigan is a huge opportunity
My guess the next HC comes from a current position from a P5 Team or a good Mid Major.
JimSidd
Art Stephenson

Unread post by JimSidd »

Agreed: top notch job. In a select group of jobs just below Duke and North Carolina, in my opinion. LaVall Jordan from Butler has a connection: he was an assistant there. I don’t think he has the resume yet, though. Perhaps Woj from Marquette? He hasn’t done much in the tournament, but he has improved the school’s regular season performances recently. Personally, I would shoot higher than either one of them.
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

I would also shoot higher than those two. And then we get the domino effect to fill the new vacancy.
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by Billyboy78 »

I wouldn't be shocked if Brad Stevens decided to go back to college, maybe even sooner than later. Dealing with attitudes like Kyrie can do that.
Rhody83
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhody83 »

ramster wrote: 5 years ago Michigan is a huge opportunity
My guess the next HC comes from a current position from a P5 Team or a good Mid Major.
So you have eliminated who? Oh, any NBA coach. Thanks for narrowing the field down so much :D
Taylor Swift
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Taylor Swift »

JimSidd wrote: 5 years ago Bloggers started floating names of potential successors a half hour after the story broke. Everyone trying to be first, with nothing to back up the names. Have already seen Jay Wright, Billy Donovan and Brad Stevens mentioned ..... and of course, the obligatory Rick Pitino reference.
Almost wouldn’t be surprised if Brad entertained this one. And it’s not a D1 open coaching position unless Pitino’s name is mentioned!! :roll: :lol:
JimSidd
Art Stephenson

Unread post by JimSidd »

A guy from The Sporting News (didn’t know it still existed) just posted his speculative top nine picks. He listed McKillop second, Cooley third and Schmidt fifth. McKillop is interesting. I don’t see him leaving Davidson after all these years, but Michigan is one of the few jobs that might make him think. The guy listed Donovan as his number one choice. Pitino was not on his list. Pitino has no shot. This is a school that has been scandal free under Beilein and I’m sure they don’t wish to return to the sleezy Fab Five era.
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

An interesting read from The Athletic. Must have a subscription or you can get 3 free articles.

https://theathletic.com/975437/2019/05/ ... the-sport/
Seawrightspostgame
Sly Williams

Unread post by Seawrightspostgame »

JimSidd wrote: 5 years ago A guy from The Sporting News (didn’t know it still existed) just posted his speculative top nine picks. He listed McKillop second, Cooley third and Schmidt fifth. McKillop is interesting. I don’t see him leaving Davidson after all these years, but Michigan is one of the few jobs that might make him think. The guy listed Donovan as his number one choice. Pitino was not on his list. Pitino has no shot. This is a school that has been scandal free under Beilein and I’m sure they don’t wish to return to the sleezy Fab Five era.
ah yes the sleezy fab five era. :roll: :roll: :roll:

Looks like $$$ finding its way into the game is fairly common these days.
I want to change my name to BlockIslandFerry
Rhody15
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Rhody15 »

Really going out a limb there.
Go Rhody
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

Rhody15 wrote: 5 years ago
Really going out a limb there.
If you look back in the same thread Rhody83 said the same thing, but thanks for piling it on.
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

Rhody83 wrote: 5 years ago
So you have eliminated who? Oh, any NBA coach. Thanks for narrowing the field down so much :D
My point was that Michigan is s top notch job. They have a very respectable program unlike many others. They don’t need to go for some of tired also rand like Pitino.

From P5’s there are many HC’s that would never leave and others relatively recently locked into contracts with high buyouts like the Texas Tech HC

Bobby Hurley would be they hit I would go after.

By mid majors I mean teams like Gonzaga, Top NBE, Top A10 such as Davidson, Top AAC. I don’t see an NBA HC except Brad Stevens.

Unfortunately Beilein sounds like he is fed up with the College Basketball direction. A real shame.
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

https://www.midmajormadness.com/2019/5/ ... es-big-ten

Mike Rhoades?

Mike Rhoades, VCU
The second-year coach kept the VCU machine churning, engineering one of the country’s best defenses in a 25-8 season that earned the Rams an at-large bid to the NCAA Tournament. His name seemingly wasn’t bandied about that much as this year’s coaching carousel spun, but he’s now an experienced head coach that oversaw a massive improvement at VCU over his first and second seasons.
Rhody83
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhody83 »

ramster wrote: 5 years ago https://www.midmajormadness.com/2019/5/ ... es-big-ten

Mike Rhoades?

Mike Rhoades, VCU
The second-year coach kept the VCU machine churning, engineering one of the country’s best defenses in a 25-8 season that earned the Rams an at-large bid to the NCAA Tournament. His name seemingly wasn’t bandied about that much as this year’s coaching carousel spun, but he’s now an experienced head coach that oversaw a massive improvement at VCU over his first and second seasons.
Has he won an NCAA Tournament game? Two year coach at VCU with one Tournament game get Michigan job. I don’t think so.

Billy Donovan would be my guess.
Cooley gets the job before any A10 coach.
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

Rhody83 wrote: 5 years ago
ramster wrote: 5 years ago https://www.midmajormadness.com/2019/5/ ... es-big-ten

Mike Rhoades?

Mike Rhoades, VCU
Has he won an NCAA Tournament game? Two year coach at VCU with one Tournament game get Michigan job. I don’t think so.

Billy Donovan would be my guess.
Cooley gets the job before any A10 coach.
If you read the article......

Michigan will most likely look to current assistants Luke Yaklich or Saddi Washington to continue the program’s Beilein-infused ascendance. And, given its stature, its one of the handful of schools that seemingly can entertain big names like, gulp, Brad Stevens. But once upon a time Beilein was a mid-major coach, and no due diligence would be complete without scouring the mid-major ranks for candidates.

None of the Mid Major names below will likely end up on the sidelines in Ann Arbor, yet, after getting the perfunctory “thanks, but no thanks” from Mark Few, here are some other names from mid-major conferences Michigan should at least think about:
Rhody83
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhody83 »

There are as many list out there as there are candidates.
When Michigan was hiring Beilien (12 years ago) they had gone 9 years (and 2 coaches) without making the NCAA Tournament.
The program is in a slightly different place now. In last 11 years - NCAA Tournament 9 out of last 11, 5 Sweet 16s out of last 7, 2 Final Fours.
Michigan paid Beilien $1.3 million in 2007. They paid him $3.4 million last year.
I think they are in a different place than they were in 2007 when they hired Beilien.
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

Much much different place
Reading the Michigan message board, this came as a complete shock to them
I have not read a single post with anything remotely bad about their HC
It’s a sad situation for Michigan right now. Timing was not good either considering the heat of the recruiting battles taking place this summer.
Rhody83
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhody83 »

O
ramster wrote: 5 years ago Much much different place
Reading the Michigan message board, this came as a complete shock to them
I have not read a single post with anything remotely bad about their HC
It’s a sad situation for Michigan right now. Timing was not good either considering the heat of the recruiting battles taking place this summer.
You missed the point. As far as the level of coach they can attract, Michigan is in a much better place than they were 12 years ago when they hired Beilien. They had just fired their second in 7 years and hadn’t been to the tournament in 9 years.
The coaching talent pool for them to hire from is much better now after their last 11 years of success.
I do think the timing sucks. Michigan’s top 3 scorers had already declared for the draft (which is probably why Beilien left).
They do return 10 scholarship players. They didn’t have any Seniors on the team. They also have two 4 star ‘19 SF signed (who could back out though).
SmartyBarrett
Sly Williams

Unread post by SmartyBarrett »

ATPTourFan
Frank Keaney

How often do these "let's hire a star player from 20 years ago" jobs work out?
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

ATPTourFan wrote: 5 years ago How often do these "let's hire a star player from 20 years ago" jobs work out?
Mixed results, but we'll see what Penny Hardaway will do with his loaded class.
Rhody74
Sly Williams

Unread post by Rhody74 »

ATPTourFan wrote: 5 years ago How often do these "let's hire a star player from 20 years ago" jobs work out?
Look at St John’s....
Slava Ukraini!
rjsuperfly66
Carlton Owens

Unread post by rjsuperfly66 »

Rhody74 wrote: 5 years ago
Look at St John’s....
See, I don’t know if SJU is a good comp.
Yes, they blew Mullins out for underachieving.
But it was still a case where Mullins took over a blown apart roster, and brought them from 8 to 14 to 16 to 21 wins and a tournament appearance.
Ewing at Georgetown - 15 wins year 1, 19 wins and the NIT year 2 with a young team.
That’s not to say these guys are great coaches, but I also wouldn’t call Mullins a bust.
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

Think Howard is more suited to NBA
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

Post from the Michigan Message Board...

FWIW Jeff Goodman just did a video on the search. He said the two hot names he’s hearing in the last 24hrs are Ed Cooley and Shaka smart. He said he would go with Cooley, seemed that he felt that way because he thinks Cooley would destroy on the recruiting trail.
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

I think Michigan would be making a mistake hiring Cooley

I do hope they go for him though weakening PC
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by rambone 78 »

Cooley can recruit...but at a big time P5 school he has to do more than that.

He can get you to an NCAA tourney, but he doesn't win once he's there.

His in game coaching is suspect...that won't get it done. I would be shocked if they hire him.
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Getting interesting....
rhodysurf
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by rhodysurf »

[loudspeaker emoji]

ace
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by ace »

Win/win situation for Cooley- he either gets a better job or he wins favor with the fan base for coming back. Does only one tournament win look better if you think a coach turned down a better situation for you? Former players as coaches at their school are trendy now. I look forward to watching this play out.
Last edited by ace 5 years ago, edited 2 times in total.
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

steviep123
Sly Williams

Unread post by steviep123 »

Just out of (morbid?) curiosity, if Dan Hurley was still our coach, I'm sure he'd be on Michigan's radar. The question is, for Ace, is Michigan one of the other two programs he would have left for?
Bleed Keaney Blue!

”I'm not coming there to be in the top 3 of the Atlantic 10. I'm coming to win the damn thing!”
ATPTourFan
Frank Keaney

Michigan was not on Dan's list.
bigappleram
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by bigappleram »

rhodysurf wrote: 5 years ago [loudspeaker emoji]

Mid Major Madness nailed it with that description of the majority of PC fans. Delusional doesn't even begin to describe it. I'm guessing they go with Juwan, but will be fun to watch the Fryer faithful squirm for a few days.